Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,258 members, 7,836,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. (65593 Views)

Husbands Of Groom And Brides Moms Whos Dressing Got People Talking Spark Reacti / Husband Thanks His Wife For Putting His Name Under Her Father's House (Pix) / Emotional Torture In My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by nwanyiugbo122(f): 10:32pm On Dec 23, 2019
Don't have time for that, my two girls are on a low cut,they always cry each time they are making hair even after the hair is made,they will still be complaining is paining them, I had to save my myself some stress by cutting their hair.

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Pacesetter123(m): 10:32pm On Dec 23, 2019
tot:

It's not for you to tell others what pain they should go through or what age that should be. That's a personal choice. It's the parents' judgment call.
But it's not de parents dat is passing tro de pains.It is de child.So how can dey now decide wot pain a child should or should not go through?
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Bahamas95(m): 10:33pm On Dec 23, 2019
Nice one OP

Noted, I won't allow my wife torture my children in the name of looking good

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Ryan03(f): 10:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

No the mothers simply loved it.

Is this treated too?
don't be dumb, i asked if she combed the hair from when the child was born till it got to this length and you are telling me its love So love now grows hair?

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 10:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
Pacesetter123:
But it's not de parents dat is passing tro de pains.It is de child.So how can dey now decide wot pain a child should or should not go through?

I really hope that after you made this statement, you won't tell us that you flog your kids.

I really hope not.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 10:37pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:

Have a look at the blow dryer I sent you . It will make things easier for you.
Another thing I’ll suggest is whenever you decide to deep condition their hair ,you can use that as an opportunity to detangle her hair .
It’s kinda makes things a lot easier

Thanks sis. Infact, we no do Christmas hair as they've refused to even loosen their hair. I no mind, as everybody go sidon for house on Christmas day in our PJs. But we go resume school again by new year, and that hair has to be made o, by fire by force cheesy

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 10:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

I really don't want to go into this. But...

The average white woman doesn't wear fake hair, but the average black woman does.

If I leave my house right now, I'm guaranteed to bump into black women with wigs but I know the white woman will all be natural.

Secondly, its natural for whites to have blonde hair but not for black ppl. That's their problem.

How many blk women wear yaki? Not enough sis.

Your average white woman does wear clip on extensions. Infact, they start wearing them from secondary school.
You do reek of inferiority complex, despite all your attempts in trying to appear woke.
Whites have blonde hair, but we do have some Africans with naturally blond hair too. That's why I mentioned earlier about the black race being so diverse genetically and pheonytpically. I have attached some pictures of some children with typical black features and their blond hair. A simple google search. Meanwhile, there are also some blacks with blue eyes. Fact.

1Sharon:

See them. I'm sure you and your child have alopecia. Nigerian women want long hair but don't even know how to achieve it

What do you understand by alopecia? You've just being shouting it upandan. I do hope you know it's a legitimate medical condition.
I know traction alopecia can be caused by pulling your hair from some of these styles that play with the edges, but some are caused by even packing your natural hair all back.

1Sharon:

I'm just being honest sis. I won't lie to make you feel better. And you're wrong, blacks in diaspora do take better care of themsleves

This babe, you have too much mouth for someone doing care work in the UK o.
You say blacks in diaspora take care of themselves better?
Awon ti London J.UK...
Wehdone sir

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 10:56pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

It's not about arguing that we look better in our natural hair. You are free to think that. And it's true to an extent.

It's about you implying that we don't look good at all in weaves or other styles, when that's simply not true. And you're being deliberately insincere by using extreme language to prove your point.

You keep using words like big lips and big noses which is racist. Not all of us have big noses and lips. You're just trying to be controversial in an effort to sound enlightened.

What about people with narrow noses and thin lips, do they have your permission to wear their weaves now?

If you had said that people should try to be realistic about their facial and bone structure when choosing styles, I would have understood but you're just being vulgar and offensive to prove a point.

I don't need to you to confirm for me whether black women look better in weaves or not. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so quick to judge people just because they don't conform to your view.

The systems of oppression that led to this discussion in the first place are well-established and complex. You are wrong to lord it over people just because you have had a different experience.

If you want to put your point across then do it without being arrogant. You are actually scaring people away from the natural hair movement with your attitude.

Honestly no, blk women don't look good in weaves. Hopefully you'll understand this later.

How is that racist?? Do you perceive your features so negatively?? So its racist to say blk ppl have big noses and lips? Isnt that our biology? Are you projecting on me cos you don't like those features?? I guess saying blk ppl have kinky hair is racist too.

Ok, not all black ppl have big noses and lips, but our noses are rounder and flatter and our lips are fuller. Does that sound better to you?

When you say narrow noses and lips? Do you mean narrow like a caucasian? How many blks that aren't mixed have those features??

Why did you quote me, if you don't want me to confirm anything, why you mad sis?

I was "oppressed" but managed to overcome i guess.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CsRockefeller(m): 10:57pm On Dec 23, 2019
kaziblake:
That is why I prefer natural hair for kids

Happy Birthday Dear, wishing many more years.

It's been a while, hope you good?
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Pacesetter123(m): 10:57pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

I really hope that after you made this statement, you won't tell us that you flog your kids.

I really hope not.
Flogging to correct her of wrong doings.Not subjecting her to unecessary pains in de name of beauty.Hairstyling can be done without such an unnecessary pain,but anyone dat is too painful to de child should be discontinued.Wen she grows,she can decide weda to pass tro de pain to achieve de desired beauty or not.But it shouldn't be de parents dat decide de type or level of pains de child should go tro just because de meant "good" for her in de context we r discussing here

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 11:00pm On Dec 23, 2019
Pacesetter123:
Flogging to correct her of wrong doings.Not subjecting her to unecessary pains in de name of beauty.Hairstyling can be done without such an unnecessary pain,but anyone dat is too painful to de child should be discontinued.Wen she grows,she can decide weda to pass tro de pain to achieve de desired beauty or not.But it shouldn't be de parents dat decide de type or level of pains de child should go tro just because de meant "good" for her in de context we r discussing here

Okay I understand you now. The difference is using the word "unnecessary".

But even flogging can be unnecessary, I hope you know that?

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by chypotenti(m): 11:06pm On Dec 23, 2019
My wife nor go even try am with my pikin, if not.... undecided undecided
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by doitforyou(f): 11:10pm On Dec 23, 2019
nnekaike:
You are right, my daughters hair is so stubborn to the core,I have bought and used countless hair product and its still the same,the hair can only be combed or styled when its wet and greased with enough moisturizer but once the hair is dry it will be so bad,the only solution is to make the hair once in 10days.NOT every hair can do what the OP just said,I recently cut off her hair but comb it and see it in 5minutes it will be as rough as u can imagine,the only solution now is to barb skin cut.

Surrey2Bimshire:

I was about to type the same thing .

Thank you. When you use “All” in a sentence without proof that’s generalization and that will always be an unrealistic position to take.

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by doitforyou(f): 11:11pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ryan03:
abeg leave those ones who have never handle kids hair before. I am a guy and a stylist, I braid for kids and I can tell you your post is very correct
Oh, you’re a stylist? Then your input is very valid on this thread.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by doitforyou(f): 11:12pm On Dec 23, 2019
blesoh:

You are right, my daughter can't stand the pains immediately I try to comb she starts crying the best thing is to plait it, hair textures are not the same
Exactly.

5 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:12pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ryan03:
are you sure you are Nigerian?
I was about to ask the same question.....

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by 1Sharon(f): 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

Your average white woman does wear clip on extensions. Infact, they start wearing them from secondary school.
You do reek of inferiority complex, despite all your attempts in trying to appear woke.
Whites have blonde hair, but we do have some Africans with naturally blond hair too. That's why I mentioned earlier about the black race being so diverse genetically and pheonytpically. I have attached some pictures of some children with typical black features and their blond hair. A simple google search. Meanwhile, there are also some blacks with blue eyes. Fact.

What do you understand by alopecia? You've just being shouting it upandan. I do hope you know it's a legitimate medical condition.
I know traction alopecia can be caused by pulling your hair from some of these styles that play with the edges, but some are caused by even packing your natural hair all back.

Awon ti London J.UK...
Wehdone sir

Black ppl can't do without comparing their negatives to whites and dragging them into the convo, yet I'm the one with inferiority complex?

Stop lying, the average white person doesn't wear hair extensions and even then, it matches their hair. Are there the chinese making money off white people like blacks?

Did you just post picture of australoids? You know they aren't part of the black race right??

Australoids are closer genetically to asians than black people in africa. You have no point.

And yes silly, I was talking about traction alopecia which is self-inflicted. Why would you think i was talking about the former?

I told you I'm doing care work abi? You must have dementia.
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:22pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:
There's nothing wrong with braiding a child's hair, as long as care is taken not to make it too tight.

It can be uncomfortable but not necessarily painful. Or it may be mildly painful for a couple of days. Experiencing pain is not going to kill the child.

Everybody experiences pain, especially en route to achieving something meaningful. You can't shield children from pain forever just to prove a point. This is unrealistic. Children should be taught resilience and not shielded and coddled all the time. The end result is comfort enough for the pain endured.

Putting somebody's hair in a bun every day for school is not feasible; little children mess their hair up a lot and natural hair can get tangled if a comb is not run through it often enough. Then when you want to comb it it will still be war.

I think a reasonable cornrow style with or without attachments is okay for a schoolgirl.

And it will also teach them from an early age about neatness.

The bun is okay as well once in a while but people who braid their kids hair shouldn't be condemned.
I feel like dashing you 100 likes for this statement. Your response is a real voice of reason.

Apart from that, black natural hair comes in different textures and lengths. Some people's hair is quite coarse and thick. Others have soft baby-fine hair. While a separate number of other black folk, have silky curls that appear wavy and long.

Ladies of mixed race also have different textures of hair which is far more silky and longer, than those of most black Africans.

People need to chose what hair styles suit their hair texture and their lifestyles. Period.

It is not easy styling a child's hair every second. Even combing out the kinks causes pain, if the hair is coarse.

So why not just plait it and let her carry the style for a week? It is easier and less stressful, for both mother and child.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

Awon ti London J.UK...
Wehdone sir

1) You're so clueless. Seriously, so clueless. For the record, the average white woman does NOT wear extensions.

2) Being dark skinned does not make you African! The aborigines of Australia are dark skinned, some indians are very dark skinned.

The pictures you posted are of Melanesians. Melanesian is a subregion of Oceania. That's somewhere not too far from Australia.

Them being dark skinned doesn't make them Africans! Our genetics are different! They probably have more in come with the Aborigines of Australia than with us!

Africans do not have blonde hair. It's not in our DNA

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by doitforyou(f): 11:26pm On Dec 23, 2019
pocohantas:
Depends on the style, any style that touches the edges is a NOO! Sadly, that is the type they always make these kids.

Very mature hair styles! Gosh! I hate it ehn.

Anyway, I get doitforyou's argument. A Nigerian mother has a very tight schedule, you don't wanna add daily styling from an uncooperative kid to it. When I have my baby girl (who would definitely look like me) - I will be making her that fulani hairstyle. The one that starts from the center and falls round the head. E no go pass 10, we would count it grin

Thank you.

I already agreed with the OP, I don’t know why both of our points can’t be true.

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by janettee(f): 11:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
It's obvious most of you can't take care of your hair!.

I don't care if your hair is 4c, with the right products and techniques, you can make it manageable!. I know this, cause my sister has 4c natural hair and she doesn't have any problems at all.

Your hair being 4c is not the reason it's hard to manage!.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 11:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
1Sharon:

Honestly no, blk women don't look good in weaves. Hopefully you'll understand this later.

How is that racist?? Do you perceive your features so negatively?? So its racist to say blk ppl have big noses and lips? Isnt that our biology? Are you projecting on me cos you don't like those features?? I guess saying blk ppl have kinky hair is racist too.

Ok, not all black ppl have big noses and lips, but our noses are rounder and flatter and our lips are fuller. Does that sound better to you?

When you say narrow noses and lips? Do you mean narrow like a caucasian? How many blks that aren't mixed have those features??

Why did you quote me, if you don't want me to confirm anything, why you mad sis?

I was "oppressed" but managed to overcome i guess.

Yes, it's your opinion that none of us look good with weaves and you're free to express it but you shouldn't be crafty or extreme in order to prove a point because it actually makes your argument weaker.

If I had said "what of those "natural beauties" with patch patchy wisps of hair over their bald heads" wouldn't it sound awful even though we know that that's how some of them look? You are being very unreasonable joor

It's not racist to state that some of us have particular features. It's racist to use that fact to argue that we look grotesque in weaves and wigs, when having a flat nose doesn't necessarily mean that straight hair looks bad on you. Chinese people nko?

The fact is that having large lips doesn't automatically disqualify you from looking decent with straight hair, just like having kinky hair doesn't automatically disqualify you from from looking decent with thin lips! You're so eager to squash everybody into your own tiny box for some reason when there are so many different looks that work well.

Being from Nigeria doesn't automatically mean that using a foreign first name is beyond you. You may disagree with it for your own reasons but it doesn't necessarily make the other person ignorant or stupid.

Will you say "big black face with big lips doesn't suit English name" Because that's racist! I'm sure in the UK you're talking from you can be arrested for saying that.

but our noses are rounder and flatter and our lips are fuller. Does that sound better to you?

It depends. Are you going to say that " rounder nose and full lips don't look good with long, straight hair"? Because that's racist too.

It has nothing to do with being mixed or not. I asked you a question- do black people with straight noses and thin lips always automatically look good in any wig they wear?

I'm quoting you because you're saying the wrong thing thinking that you're sounding more enlightened when actually your argument lacks intelligence and nuance.

There are full black people all over Nigeria with thin noses and lips and you're here talking about "mixed" like one bush woman! I just can't understand it.

How can you claim to have left your "oppression" but still be so narrow-minded?

You're the most oppressed person here, if you don't know.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ladycewhy:
i disagree. Not all textures are substianable for daily bun maintenance. The stress of having to style everyday and make it into a bun is more compared to just making it into braids once in a week.So why not braid it once a week insead of going through the trouble every single day to style it?
Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. Hair texture varies from one individual to the other!!

And some of them are so hard to maintain. Genetics and race also play a part in hair texture.

Non-mixed Africans with black natural hair have kinky hair with really tight curls, unlike the other blacks who are a mixed race, or those who have one of their parents with Caucasian or Asian or Native American ancestry.

They are the ones that can easily do this bun or single plait style, and their hair would remain tidy for 2 days....

Full blooded Naija person wey try that one with im pickin, no go find am easy.....di hair go just dey scatter, anyhow.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by eyinjuege: 11:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
fieryy:

1) You're so clueless. Seriously, so clueless. For the record, the average white woman does NOT wear extensions.

2) Being dark skinned does not make you African! The aborigines of Australia are dark skinned, some indians are very dark skinned. All with different hair textures from ours.

The pictures you posted are of Melanesians. Melanesian is a subregion of Oceania. That's somewhere not too far from Australia.

Them being dark skinned doesn't make them Africans! Our genetics are different! They probably have more in come with the Aborigines of Australia than with us!

You are the clueless one here. Caucasians are the queens of hair extensions. From a very young age for that matter, while their African counterparts are still thinking of low cut.
Melanasians migrated from Africa, in case you're not aware. Fact. They are also blessed with the typical features of Africans.

4 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Pacesetter123(m): 11:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
midnighter:

Okay I understand you now. The difference is using the word "unnecessary".

But even flogging can be unnecessary, I hope you know that?
Yap,I know.Some parents flogg unecessarily.Somethings dat required verbal warning, voice correction or even showing practical example to teach n correct a child,dey still want to use Flogging to correct.Dats unecessary n should be discontinued by any parent.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:42pm On Dec 23, 2019
Sterope:
Judgement call to put their children through unnecessary pain because of their own idea of beauty?

Does that make sense to you? You could as well tell then to kills their children because they are the parents.
Children go through pain when they are given injections, or taking vaccinations. Should we abolish those too, in order not to cause the child any pain?? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
Surrey2Bimshire:
With proper hair conditioner for your hair type and good moisturizer combing your hair will be like a walk in the park.
Remember to divide your hair in sections and comb from tip to scalp .
Not true! It all depends on the texture of the hair!! With some types of black natural hair, all the conditioner and moisturiser in the world, would not make that hair, soft enough to pull a comb through it, without pain.

Ladycewhy:
i disagree. Not all textures are substianable for daily bun maintenance. The stress of having to style everyday and make it into a bun is more compared to just making it into braids once in a week.So why not braid it once a week insead of going through the trouble every single day to style it?
Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. Hair texture varies from one individual to the other!!

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

You are the clueless one here. Caucasians are the queens of hair extensions. From a very young age for that matter, while their African counterparts are still thinking of low cut.
Melanasians migrated from Africa, in case you're not aware. Fact. They are also blessed with the typical features of Africans.

Europeans migrated out of Africa as well. Everybody migrated out of Africa, lmaooo! However, we've been apart for a very long time now, which resulted into us being genetically diverse, so what exactly is your point?!

And aunty, which European country did you live in to come up with the conclusion of the average white woman wearing extension. You even took it a step further and said 'from a very young age'

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by janettee(f): 11:48pm On Dec 23, 2019
eyinjuege:

More..
The struggle is real my sister grin

African pride products does wonders on my sister's 4c hair grin
Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:49pm On Dec 23, 2019
Ladycewhy:
If you have to do it every morning for a child before school,its alot of stress.
Especially if you have 2 or 3 daughters, under the age of 7 years.

1 Like

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by CeterisXVII: 11:52pm On Dec 23, 2019
tot:
What does kill have to do with haircare? undecided

I wonder, o!! People like to exaggerate. Okay, they should not let doctors give their kids injections or vaccinate them, since it would cause the child pain.....abí?

2 Likes

Re: Moms! Quit Putting Little Girls Through Torture In The Name Of Braiding Hair. by midnighter(f): 11:54pm On Dec 23, 2019
CeterisXVII:

I feel like dashing you 100 likes for this statement. Your response is a real voice of reason.

Apart from that, black natural hair comes in different textures and lengths. Some people's hair is quite coarse and thick. Others have soft baby-fine hair. While a number of other black folk, have silky curls that appear wavy and long.

Ladies of mixed race have different textures hair which is far more silky and longer, than those of most black Africans.

People need to chose what hair styles suit their hair texture and their lifestyles. Period.

It is not easy styling a child's hair every second. Even combing out the links causes pain, if the hair is coarse.

So why not just plait it and let her carry the style for a week? It is easier and less stressful, for both mother and child.

Thanks, the fact that every child is different is what a lot of people here are failing to grasp.

If it's so extremely painful for your child and they don't mind low cut then why not? But you dont have the right to castigate somebody with a different life and a different child!

I don't see where all the fake wokeness is coming from when most children would be okay as long as the stylist was reasonable. You don't want your child to ever feel one ounce of pain in her entire life or what

Will you say you will rush home just to feed the child no matter what or will you let them be hungry for an hour or so so that you will finish what you're doing? Will being hungry finish your child?

So you'll keep combing and pulling at her head every day and stress 2 of you just so that she won't endure a sore scalp for a couple of days? Come on!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

The Cousin My Mum Brought To My House Has Destroyed My Son / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? / Caucasian Woman's Traditional Way Of Serving Nigerian Husband Food Causes Stir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.