Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? (14230 Views)

Endtimes : People Can Expect Significant Changes By 2030 - Don Koenig / Pictures Of Christians Celebrating Easter Around The World / Significant Goliath's To Fall In Nigeria In 2018- Pastor Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Chukabiz(m): 3:09pm On Dec 25, 2019
NaijaOlosho:
Xmas is useless

Is not in the bible

Jesus didn't ask any one to celebrate his born day.

The only thing we all owe God is to keep his commandments and love our neighbors as our selves.

Simple.

Easter, Xmas are all useless and invented by men
Nobody cares about your opinion on christmas and nobody is begging you to celebrate it. Shut up and leave those who want to celebrate it alone.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Legendguru: 5:14pm On Dec 25, 2019
hmm
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Dharmiejoe(m): 6:46pm On Dec 25, 2019
larj:
Human beings and comparison. Why don't we ask God which one he prefers the most. Same way you'll soon ask between the Holy Spirit and Jesus who do you prefer. Both are important no basis for comparison be grateful for the birth as it marks divinity taking on humanity. First of it's kind. The death is the awakening of son's and daughter's. The two comes together it's a complete package. Leave the comparison alone bikonu. You won't find anything meaningful at the end of it. Merry Christmas to everyone.
beautiful submission. I don't place particular emphasis on celebrating Christmas neither do I condemn it. It's the purpose of his birth and death that matters most.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Monday60655(m): 7:32pm On Dec 25, 2019
The simple truth is that His death is biblical as recorded in the Bible. Whereas the birthday those who chose to celebrate do is not recorded in the Bible that He was born on 25th December. Like we do in MFM, we re not against those who chose to celebrate Christmas, but we don't do so.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Zzyzxt(m): 10:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
As for the birth of Jesus Christ...i don't want to be drawn into the argument of when exactly he was born...but the fact remains He was born. so we can choose to celebrate it...at anytime. what i don't get is some people claiming it's idolatry... Like i don't get it...you don't want to be associated with his birth but ...you r interested in his death and the miracle of resurrection.
The fact is: 1. He was Born 2.Died for the sins of mankind 3. He rose.
If He wasn't Born What then is the reason for Salvation?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by greatjoey: 9:29am On Dec 26, 2019
johnmba:
Which of the 2 is more important in the Christian world.

Can someone explain with reasons
Both are of equal significance. He was born to die. If he was not born, he would not have stood the chance to die for the sins of man. If he did not die as foretold, his birth would have been irrelevant. The two deserve celebrations

1 Like

Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by greatjoey: 9:52am On Dec 26, 2019
Monday60655:
The simple truth is that His death is biblical as recorded in the Bible. Whereas the birthday those who chose to celebrate do is not recorded in the Bible that He was born on 25th December. Like we do in MFM, we re not against those who chose to celebrate Christmas, wbut we don't do so.

We often get ourselves stuck in unnecessary hurdles. Those who celebrate Christmas do not say Jesus Christ was born on the 25th of December. Though the actual date waa not given in the holy bible, it is an wstablished fact that he was born. As a result, the early faithfuls decided to fix a date to commemorate his birth. The bible days, whatever is done in his name here on earth is accepted in heaven. The same bible says those who are not against is are with us. It may be of pagan origin as some school of thought. However, the emphasis is that, do you celebrate Christmas as a pagan. Do mention or pay to any idol in celebrating Christmas? If pagans started it as they say and they see it as idolatry, who told them that the cloth they wear, the car they drive, the TV they watch, the GSM they use were all invented by saints? Thank you.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Monday60655(m): 10:44am On Dec 26, 2019
greatjoey:

We often get ourselves stuck in unnecessary hurdles. Those who celebrate Christmas do not say Jesus Christ was born on the 25th of December. Though the actual date waa not given in the holy bible, it is an wstablished fact that he was born. As a result, the early faithfuls decided to fix a date to commemorate his birth. The bible days, whatever is done in his name here on earth is accepted in heaven. The same bible says those who are not against is are with us. It may be of pagan origin as some school of thought. However, the emphasis is that, do you celebrate Christmas as a pagan. Do mention or pay to any idol in celebrating Christmas? If pagans started it as they say and they see it as idolatry, who told them that the cloth they wear, the car they drive, the TV they watch, the GSM they use were all invented by saints? Thank you.

As I told you earlier that we are not against those who chose to celebrate Christmas, and I don't want to engage you in argument because is not helpful as a Christian. Just make research as a Christian and find out the root of the Christmas. Why is it that all manner of crimes and other vices are always extremely high during this period of people celebrating Christmas. Though it depends on your perspective and principle, if you know what many people engage themselves into during this period all in the name of Christmas celebration. I don't want to buttress much about this issue. As a Christian I'm more concerned about Christ second coming as the reason for my Christianity. Because His death gave me salvation, then the utmost concern now for Christians should be what will be their stand for His second coming. Thanks for your understanding.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Ayobami7(m): 2:35pm On Dec 26, 2019
Both
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by tck2000(m): 8:29pm On Dec 27, 2019
psychologist:
0 and 1 which one comes first in number scale?

Modified
One definitely needs to come before the other, and in this case, he has to be given birth to before his death.
Therefore no one overshadows other, they rather compliment each other...
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 7:21am On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Your eternity doesn't come from Christ death rather from Christ resurrection....

Resurrection is the basis of Christianity....

What was ressurected , Jesus or ordinary body ?

Dem dey ressurect soul wey no die ?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 7:24am On Dec 29, 2019
joyandfaith:

Jesus celebrated passover in nissan 14, after passover he introduced lord super. passover used to be marked on nissan 14 .
In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at dusk is the LORD's Passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD; seven days ye shall eat unleavened bread. In the first day ye shall have a holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work. And ye shall bring an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days; in the seventh day is a holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work. ( Leviticus 23:5–8

Thank you o, scripture said Christ is our PASSOVER .
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 7:26am On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Yet you claim He died on Nisan 14....

So to you what is easter?

Did Jesus ask you to celebrate his ressurection ? Or was he ressurected on Nissan 14 too ? U wonder how Easter even came about for people who don't believe Jesus died talkless of been ressurected. Na im flesh die, not him.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 7:28am On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

The root of Christmas is the birth of Christ and the most important event that brings hope for everyone "The death & resurrection of Christ"

How does these pagan?

Which one do you have problem with....
1. The day The Birth of Christ is being celebrated or The actual Birthday of Christ itself?
2. The day Resurrection of Christ is being celebrated or the Death & Resurrection itself?

The early Christians view the celebration of anyone's birthday as a pagan custom . Many encyclopedias testify to this.

Even in the Bible, No servant of God celebrated their birthday . Even Jesus himself didn't , so where do you get your idea from ?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 12:42pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:
The early Christians view the celebration of anyone's birthday as a pagan custom . Many encyclopedias testify to this.

Can you provide a proved data for this?

Even in the Bible, No servant of God celebrated their birthday . Even Jesus himself didn't , so where do you get your idea from ?

There are many things you're doing today and weren't recorded in the Bible....so spare us that!

If Jesus didn't...
Did Jesus say you shouldn't do it or where did Jesus condemn it?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 12:46pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:
Did Jesus ask you to celebrate his ressurection?

Did Jesus ask you NOT to celebrate His resurrection?

Or was he ressurected on Nissan 14 too?

No be only Nissan na Toyota....

And who says He resurrected on Nisan 14

U wonder how Easter even came about for people who don't believe Jesus died talkless of been ressurected. Na im flesh die, not him.

Easter is the celebration of the RISEN LORD JESUS, how is that your headache?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 12:49pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:
What was ressurected , Jesus or ordinary body ?

Dem dey ressurect soul wey no die ?

Clarify yourself more here!
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Did Jesus ask you NOT to celebrate His resurrection?

No be only Nissan na Toyota....

And who says He resurrected on Nisan 14

Easter is the celebration of the RISEN LORD JESUS, how is that your headache?

So he wasn't ressurected on Nisan 14, why are you now trying to weave Easter with Memorial ?

Men gave the command of Easter not GOD!
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 1:03pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:

So he wasn't ressurected on Nisan 14, why are you now trying to weave Easter with Memorial ?

Men gave the command of Easter not GOD!

What is memorial?
What is easter?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 1:09pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Can you provide a proved data for this?

World book Encyclopedia state " The early Christians did not celebrate His [Christ's] birth because they considered the celebration of anyone's birth to be a pagan custom."

There are many things you're doing today and weren't recorded in the Bible....so spare us that!

If Jesus didn't...
Did Jesus say you shouldn't do it or where did Jesus condemn it?

How can Jesus condemn in the Bible something none of his apostles or early followers never attempted ?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 1:11pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

What is memorial?

Luke 22:19,20 Lord's evening meal . As commanded : Do this in remembrance of me .

What is easter?

A teaching not commanded by Jesus , celebration of his ressurection .

Have you forgotten Matt 28:19,20 Teach them to observe what ? All the things Jesus command.

Where did Jesus command Easter ?
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 1:18pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:
World book Encyclopedia state " The early Christians did not celebrate His [Christ's] birth because they considered the celebration of anyone's birth to be a pagan custom."

Provide the link...Hypocrite!

How can Jesus condemn in the Bible something none of his apostles or early followers never attempted ?

So Jesus never heard of Birthday celebration before He died...Yet He condemned many Pharisees and Sadducees attitudes or are they not celebrating birthday
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 1:27pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:
Luke 22:19,20 Lord's evening meal . As commanded : Do this in remembrance of me

We can as well say you're celebrating the Christ death, right?

A teaching not commanded by Jesus , celebration of his ressurection .

Have you forgotten Matt 28:19,20 Teach them to observe what ? All the things Jesus command.

Where did Jesus command Easter ?

Where does Jesus command you to celebrate your Graduation?

Besides, You can use the word REMEMBRANCE in place of CELEBRATION so that your confusion can be cured.

Also, Christ resurrection established the Lord's Day which is the same Sunday you gather in your Hall to preach lies and deceits to your members.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Provide the link...Hypocrite!

Check Wikipedia and Brittanica too

For reference of the world book encyclopedia

WB Encyclopedia (volume 3, page 416) . That's the reference page . Go and do your assignment and get it.

Encyclopedia Brittanica

" In particular, during the first two centuries of Christianity there was strong opposition to recognizing birthdays of martyrs or, for that matter, of Jesus. Numerous Church Fathers offered sarcastic comments about the pagan custom of celebrating birthdays "

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christmas

So Jesus never heard of Birthday celebration before He died...Yet He condemned many Pharisees and Sadducees attitudes or are they not celebrating birthday

Are they not Jews ? Jews refrain from such practices due to their pagan sources .
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 1:51pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:
Check Wikipedia and Brittanica too

For reference of the world book encyclopedia

WB Encyclopedia (volume 3, page 416) . That's the reference page . Go and do your assignment and get it.

Provide the link here....Hypocrite!

Are they not Jews ? Jews refrain from such practices due to their pagan sources .

So Jews are now our standard to know what is right. Continue.....

My point is, why Jesus didn't condemn it when He knows about it? Since He is aware of it before He died because [b]your point was, Jesus can't condemn what the apostles or early Christians didn't do.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Provide the link here....Hypocrite!

Why do u love ignorance like these ...

I gave u the reference .

Here is another

Encyclopedia Brittanica

" In particular, during the first two centuries of Christianity there was strong opposition to recognizing birthdays of martyrs or, for that matter, of Jesus. Numerous Church Fathers offered sarcastic comments about the pagan custom of celebrating birthdays "

So Jews are now our standard to know what is right. Continue.....

My point is, why Jesus didn't condemn it when He knows about it? Since He is aware of it before He died because [b]your point was, Jesus can't condemn what the apostles or early Christians didn't do.

Na was for you, in the society Jesus grew up in , they don't celebrate birthdays , so. Nothing to condemn in this regard . It's already societally frowned at , And interestingly his first set of disciples came from the same society , and they all also refrain from birthday celebration
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 2:09pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

We can as well say you're celebrating the Christ death, right?

Where does Jesus command you to celebrate your Graduation?

Besides, You can use the word REMEMBRANCE in place of CELEBRATION so that your confusion can be cured.

Also, Christ resurrection established the Lord's Day which is the same Sunday you gather in your Hall to preach lies and deceits to your members.

Where exactly did Jesus command Easter ?

" teach them to observe the things I COMMANDED YOU " .
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 2:13pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:

Why do u love ignorance like these ...

I gave u the reference .

Here is another

Encyclopedia Brittanica

I asked you to provide a link to your World Book encyclopedia you couldn't but you have to come up with another delusional article.

This was written by someone, do you agree with the person just because it's against Christmas?

Then will you agree with the author if he's article was against JWs?

He's not the first person to write against Christmas...

So I'm still waiting for the WB encyclopedia LINK

Na was for you, in the society Jesus grew up in , they don't celebrate birthdays , so. Nothing to condemn in this regard . It's already societally frowned at , And interestingly his first set of disciples came from the same society , and they all also refrain from birthday celebration

Olodo....Wasn't John the Baptist killed during the time of Jesus on birthday? The person who killed him, which tribe he is and his position?

Isn't the best time for Christ to condemn the practice?

We have many references in the scripture where Christ warned His disciples not to do things the way other do it.
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by Emusan(m): 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2019
CAPTIVATOR:

Where exactly did Jesus command Easter ?
" teach them to observe the things I COMMANDED YOU " .
Where exactly did Jesus command you to go to Hall on Sunday?
So you're acting out of Christ command....continue
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

I asked you to provide a link to your World Book encyclopedia you couldn't but you have to come up with another delusional article.

This was written by someone, do you agree with the person just because it's against Christmas?

Then will you agree with the author if he's article was against JWs?

He's not the first person to write against Christmas...

So I'm still waiting for the WB encyclopedia LINK

Mr, it's a Book ... Not website , I already gave you the reference and for the one I posted which was available online, Encyclopedia Brittanica , The facts are laid bare . Everyone knows it has pagan source. Google is your friend to read more

Olodo....Wasn't John the Baptist killed during the time of Jesus on birthday? The person who killed him, which tribe he is and his position?

Tribe ? Herod origin is from Edom. He didn't practice the Jewish religion either

Isn't the best time for Christ to condemn the practice?

We have many references in the scripture where Christ warned His disciples not to do things the way other do it.

Can you imagine, isn't the Fact that someone who doesn't have a good standing with God does it yet none of faithful ones does same, should ring a bell .
Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by CAPTIVATOR: 2:37pm On Dec 29, 2019
Emusan:

Where exactly did Jesus command you to go to Hall on Sunday?

So you're acting out of Christ command....continue

Going to kingdom Hall is an Obedience to Hebrews 10:24,25 .

Show us where any apostle or followers of Christ encourage such pagan practice ?

1 Like

Re: Christmas Vs Easter: Which One Is More Significant? by orunto27: 2:56pm On Dec 29, 2019
Easter is The Finishing, The Conclusion sort of, The Death, The Resurrection, The Pentacoust and The DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

RCCG 69th Annual Convention 2nd - 8th August 2021 / Muhammads Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery (Ashtiname Of Muhammad) / Dr. Paul Enenche admonishes Nigerian leaders again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.