Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,891 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? - Romance (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? (53825 Views)

Help!!!! I Lose Interest In Guys I Sleep With / One Key Thing I Deeply Admire In GUYS! / Beard Gang Or Pronounced Jawlines(opinion Poll)...come In Guys(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 27, 2019
[quote author=KellyGatzz post=85254330][/quote]i aint lesbian. Am a mom
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by bond77(m): 10:14am On Dec 27, 2019
So much hate and bitterness on this thread! smh! I can't say much but I can post the link of a thread whereby the ops problem is a little bit similar to yours. pick one or two advice there and make amendments. you are not alone in this neither are you entangled to the spiritual like some alluded. it's just a mental or psychological issue.

https://www.nairaland.com/4959345/quit-people-easily-pls

make sure you read every comment from the first page to the last .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Tiasma: 3:23pm On Dec 27, 2019
Michellekabod2, I'm going to address your very interesting self-revelation in detail (I'm afraid in too much a detail that may scare you). But even then, I won't be able to cover all the relevant and vital angles and depths pertinent to the concerns you've raised in sincere faith. I dearly hope all my effort won't go in vain by you, for whatever reason, not getting to read this. This is my first ever comment on this platform and it'd be very disappointing to have the person it's meant for missed it.

I'm going to approach my treatment of your existential dilemma in three parts. First part - I'll try to analyse your original post intricately, examining all the critical statements and wordings, and making some conjectures and relevant inferences alongside. Second part - I'll address your headline question ("I easily lose interest in guys. Will I regret this?"wink and your final question ("I want to walk away. Will I regret this?"wink. Third part - Will consist of my concluding remark in which also I'll pretend to offer some general comforting advice.

Before I launch into my task as outlined above, I'd like to make some general opening remarks and thereby whet your appetite for what is to come later. First, the overall impression I came off with from absorbing both the spirit and letters of your post was that, potentially, you're a thoroughly original individual (though this is a tautology as there can be no originality of personality without a nurtured individuality). And this quality alone should be enough to recommend you to the attention of any sensible and sensitive mind. But as you'd come to discover (in case you're not yet aware), you have more than just one quality speaking to your exceptionality. More on this as I dig deeper...

PART ONE - A CRITICAL LOOK INTO YOUR POST
1. "I have spent MOST of my life single." With this opening statement I'm left with many questions on my mind. Does it mean you've been in a relationship(s) before, no matter how flitting? Nothing else in your post suggests you have, except the intimacy of friendship. Another pertinent question concerns your age. How old are you? (take this as rhetorical question). There is another question born from the 'tone' underlying the statement opening this paragraph; when you said you have spent most of your life single, I'm wondering with what attitude you made this statement - is it in the voice of someone who sees this as a worthy achievement or of someone who is lamenting? You see, all three questions each have their significance and implications both in the now and in the long-term. Unfortunately, time and space would forbid I explore them.

2. "I TRIED linking up with people but to NO AVAIL." This is the point all those who have tagged you negatively missed. You see, it is difficult for we humans to understand anything and anyone that is not sufficiently like us let alone one who is nothing like us. The more less like others an individual is, the greater the aversion inspired in people (Gays are a good case in point). Interestingly, this is actually a protective factor in our history and it is deeply ingrained in our genes. One could, thus, not cast much blame without falling into the same moral (though biological) 'weakness'. The quote opening this paragraph tells me that your experience of "easily losing interest in guys" is not something borne of choice but of something more deeper, more deterministic, more beyond your easy manipulation. This is why most of our personal struggles (against our better and worst selves) are the highest instance of the tragic comedy that is life. Wisdom is revealed in such simple acts as 'acceptance without redundancy' - to accept a disagreeable aspect of yourself without giving up to a mental state of inaction. One staves off guilt and shame while the latter keeps self-degeneration at bay.

3. "Is all my fault." This complete shouldering of responsibility, though not wholly objective, is admirable. To assume responsibility for our own conscious and 'voluntary' experiences is the hallmark of moral and intellectual fortitude. I suspect that someone of your unique psychological and emotional mold would have been justified in looking at the rest of your 'ordinary' fellow 'worldlers' and cast them with a look of contempt and condescension. You wouldn't have been much wrong if you had judged them for their 'petty shortsightedness' and 'superficiality of judgment'. Rather, you chose to direct your moral compass inwards and by so doing demonstrating a capacity for reflection and introspection. But in truth, it is far less your fault than you think. And were we to duly apportion blames, the arm of reasoned justice will indict a 'world' unkind to anything or anyone 'different'.

4. "I lose interest easily." While this tendency isn't exactly something to be proud of, it is often a manifestation of our unique psychological configuration. This can be very worrisome on a personal level because it always leads us towards the path of forced disengagement with what or those we truly admire or who truly admire us. It creates a cycle of anxiety in which we worry about potential (and indeed desirable) connections with others before, during, and after encountering them. The only thing is this anxiety is many times based not on false thinking but sound induction from past experiences and self-knowledge. There is one thing you should know though: this inability to sustain interest in something or someone can either be a strength or a weakness depending on how it's harnessed and deployed. The secret to this delicate balance is 'expectation' - what are your expectations and how do you manage them?

5. "I don't know why." I just have to highlight the simple honesty reflected in this simple admission. And actually, it is the very truth. Many of the things we feel, think, and do, are far beyond our ability to explain to any degree of accuracy. The forces within and without shaping and determining our course in life are just too innumerable for our pretentious and petty minds to grasp to any sensible extent. But the pretense is good for sanity and constructing meaning (more like personal myth). If you're the reading sort (and it'd be indeed unfortunate if you aren't) I should like to recommend the book MINDWISE by Nicholas Epley for further education and edification along this line. Admitting we do not know is often the beginning of any meaningful journey into enlightenment, either of the self or of the world we live in.

6. "I FIND MYSELF having to ghost the guy that I was head over heels for." This statement tells me that your struggle with keeping it going with any guy has less to do with lack of sincere and genuine emotional connection but more to do with the 'lifespan' of your feelings (if and when sparked). This relates to the point raised in paragraph 4. 'Interest' is the 'life' of any MEANINGFUL engagement. Any thing left after 'interest' is gone is nothing but lifeless shadow. To therefore continue to stay on with interest having dissipated is to invite feelings contrary to what was originally felt, feelings such as resentment, frustration, meaninglessness, and so on. The difference between you and most others is that they are never really sure if and when they have lost interest in something or someone. And as you must know, one of the most potent weapon against action (positive or negative) is uncertainty. Nothing spurs and sustains action and resolve like certainty. I thus reckon that in your case, you're hardly ever in doubt once the bug of 'disinterest' hits your core. In such moment, to not "ghost" the guy will, in the long run, be worse than doing so. And a sensible guy will not force you to persist if he has any ounce of interest in preserving his aura and impeccability of character in your reckoning.

8. "I...chose to be single." This is a fine statement and I think it partially answers the third of the three questions I posed in the first paragraph. It is a self-affirming statement which also explains why you'd assume responsibility for whatever happens in your quest to unravel the mystery that is your 'self'. Please never let anybody shakes your confidence in the sanity and wisdom of that choice. I know (or perhaps I hope) that it is a choice for the present and not necessarily for all time. It is often more difficult for a woman to opt for singleness and romantic disentanglement while still living in a world suffused with phoney and easy affections. To assume this posture without hypocrisy and regret is one of the evidences of feminine strength of character.

9. "Each conversation we have all seems anew like we're starting all over." This is the first indication of the nature of your desire and the kind of ideal you aspire to in your involvement with a man. You seem to thirst for something novel amidst a reality that is so mundane and static; perhaps you long for an interpersonal engagement that is dynamic, refreshing, edifying, and regenerative. This need for novelty, freshness, newness can sometimes be threatened with permanence or ownership which most relationships tend towards. How do you then maintain this delicate balance between a feeling responsive only to 'newness' and the need to constantly keep in touch with the external source of this feeling? I won't pretend I have an answer to this. But may I recommend yet another biography to you. Go and read about the lifetime romance (a strange type which I have no doubt you won't have problem relating with) between these two first class french philosophers - Paul Sartre and Simon De Beauvoir.

10. "It's almost ten months and the FIRE is still intense." The word 'fire' is an interesting metaphor to use. It betrays a reservoir of passion probably greater than any possessed by most girls but with perhaps this difference - that it is tempered with sensible ideals borne less of reason than of a nature unique. Your uniqueness lies not much in your difficulty bonding with most guys at all or for long but more in the scarcity of the type of guys endowed with the right combination of attributes and capacities capable of exciting the fire of your passion and sustaining it forever. This type of man that can realize the dream specified by your unique personality exists, but to find him you will have to earn it as you'd have to measure up (in a sense) to him. The more rare the kind of man or woman we desire for ourselves the more we'd have to strive to set ourselves above common grounds and sentiment. Here, you need to sincerely examine yourself and ask yourself: If you happen to eventually meet the 'ideal' (in a very strictly defined sense) man for you, would you be able to confidently and truthfully consider yourself fit for him? A good book to teach you this lesson is one written by Ayn Rand (a woman like you but with a male hero) titled FOUNTAINHEAD.

11. "I just figured out I want to end the friendship." Before I comment directly on this quote, let me say this: sometimes, the most rewarding and edifying type of relationship is found in friendship. And it is the most ideal type of relationship for deeply independent souls. So back to the quote; in spite of the "JOY", the "fire", the "awesomeness", and his "differentness", you still feel the need to retreat? This suggests to me two things, maybe three. First, that you're afflicted with a tendency toward melancholy (a contemplative and reflective disposition coupled with low energy) which makes you desire a period of retreat into your personal space after every attempt to venture into 'tasking' regions beyond and outside the 'self' (If this is correct at all, you might need to task your physical body more in recreational activities). Second, that this fantastic guy who somehow managed to touch and "change' something in you was not quite the complete package you aspire to. And third, perhaps you ruined this particular one by immersing yourself too much in it and thus exhausting your limited reserve of psychic (emotional and physical) energy. Sometimes we are so deprived of something that we gobble ourselves sick the moment we find it. You might need to consider cultivating virtues like self-discipline and delaying gratification - to learn to take a sip rather than a gulp even in your most parched condition.

12. "My conscience will not." Conscience is a double-edged sword - it troubles the soul yet offers the hope of redemption and transcendence. Redemption, not from guilt or shame (for you would seem to have no just reason to suffer from these) but from the risk of slipping gradually into the slough of despondence and the abyss of cynicism (i.e to give up hope of a meaningful and fulfilling existence). And you "wonder how he'll feel." Which tells me that in spite of your apathy and disdain for romance or long-term emotional investment, your inner emotional world is rich in sensitivities. This is the intersection where conscience provokes guilt and guilt shame and shame the search for forgiveness. But with the richness of your inner world, transcendence is a possibility through the instruments of sincerity of heart and openness of mind.

PART TWO
I have wasted so much words and time (both absolutely necessary) on the first part and yet I did not succeed in saying a quarter of what I'd like to say. I'll address the issues for this second part more directly and shelve the third part, perhaps. The two questions are intricately connected and are both underlined by the same concern - the fear of regret. I have partly addressed these two questions on my journey down to this point. So I'll only say very little here and now.
1. The first question: "I easily lose interest in guys, will I regret this?" You'll only regret this if you fail to be open and revealing to each and every guy you have to deal with when it comes to the peculiarity and the impermanence of your emotional energy. When you allow selfish considerations to preclude you from revealing upfront the emotional limit and constraint you're working with at the beginning of any meaningful interaction with a guy, you set the guy up for nursing a false hope which you're bound to disappoint. And because you have an active conscience, guilt and sadness become inevitable. In most cases, 'warning' most guys will make them even admire you more at first and perhaps not believe you (because of their belief that they are special enough to make you feel differently). But they won't be able to justly accuse you of deceiving and using them ill and your conscience can rest in peace. NB: I hope to address the question of 'selfishness' in more detail further down, hopefully.

2. Your second question: "I want to walk away. Will I regret this?" I need to say this; often time, a preoccupation with regret following a contemplated or executed action is a sign of moral immaturity. I have a feeling that there is still much you need to learn in the realm of moral reasoning. Your moral instinct is strong but still somewhat naive for lack of proper education. Your question raises another curious question; why do you want to walk away? (yes, I know you said you lost interest). And why the fear of regret of walking away? Have you taken advantage of this guy in any unfair way? Have you used him to satisfy some emotional and material needs? Or have you been willing recipient of many acts of generosities from him? Have you raised his hope knowing fully well it'll soon be dashed? What exactly is the germ behind your fear of regret Michellekabod2? Of course, I wouldn't know. However, if you're guilty of any of the omissions or commissions raised in those rhetorical questions, it will constitute an instance of the selfishness I mentioned earlier. If not, then "walking away" should not breed any regret in you. But "walking away", you have to do it properly and responsibly. You don't just "walk away" from people who have touched you and brought you "joy" and kindled "fire" in you. Yes, maybe this fact makes you feel like an ingrate and you're afraid that telling them how you feel (a very difficult feat in itself) will make them want to convince you otherwise and in the process be exposed to further displaying the rigidity of your decision to call it quit. Well, those are secondary considerations.

In "walking away", you need not make it final in tone. You might construe it as a recurrent need to disengage and "keep in touch" with your self. You must acknowledge to him all he has been to you and has triggered in you while letting him know your decision to let your foot of the gas and pull back has nothing to do with him. Most likely he will struggle to understand your ramblings and stuttering and end up drawing a conclusion not very kind to you. But again this is a secondary consideration as long as he cannot validly accuse you of using him. Next time, the moment you observe that an encounter with a guy is assuming a more intimate and confiding form, be quick to sensitize the guy to all the peculiarities and uncertainties of your person. Meanwhile keep working on your extraordinary 'self' as you do have a lot to work on - but then who doesn't?

I have decided to shelve the third part. I have penned this response for myself as much as for you.
Already I apologize for the extraordinary 'brevity' of my comment. I'm sure this has to be a record on Nairaland.

NB: I would probably adjust a significant portion of all I have written above with the benefit of more concrete information about your person. But seeing that I have to work with a severely insufficient material, many of my inferences and conjectures are inevitably going to be off track here and there. I therefore expect you to read it (If you could stomach the bizarre length) with a personal but objective filter. I assume responsibility for any wrong assumption and imputations to your person and character. I have written all in good faith and hope you'll find something useful in it as I thoroughly enjoyed typing it.

You can reach me here: sammyati25@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by profstar(m): 3:26pm On Dec 27, 2019
healthserve:
Stop using people. Be better. Stop taking people for a ride with your emotional recklessness

Use and discard. Passive Narcissistic personality disorder. Go see a therapist. You're a destroyer

You also have an over-inflated ego. The world doesn't revolve around you. And No, you're not too good for everyone.

You're an egomaniac that exists for feel-good vibes only with a detached feeling from regular existence. Go see a therapist. You're pathetic

Are you a therapist? You seems to choose your words meticulously though raw.
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by healthserve(m): 3:34pm On Dec 27, 2019
profstar:

Are you a therapist? You seems to choose your words meticulously though raw.

wink You see through my words deep into my intent. You're the second or third that guessed right

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by profstar(m): 3:44pm On Dec 27, 2019
healthserve:

wink You see through my words deep into my intent. You're the second or third that guessed right
Can I have your contact?
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by healthserve(m): 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2019
profstar:

Can I have your contact?

Mail yours to musbuq@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by dragunov: 4:28pm On Dec 27, 2019
Michellekabod2:
I am not going to create another moniker for this,i owe no one nothing!

I have spent most of my life single. I tried linking up with people but to no avail. Why? I will not do the blame game here. Is all my fault. I meet someone, get heed over heels for the person but I lose interest easily. When it comes to commitment, when the friendship is to get to the next level I ghost them. I don't know why. At best out of the blue I lose interest and become blank, not returning calls or replying messages, at worst I become disgusted at the fellow for no reason at all then move one to the next male friend. Nothing serious comes out of it...

So I decided to give up trying. My female friends and I go on an outing, some guys approach us and get our numbers. Months (sometimes years) later they are still waxing strong with the males, one of them even got married to one of them. But me? After a couple of weeks I find myself having to ghost the guy that I was head over heels for.

I gave up on love and chose to be single. I have been single for years now.

I met this guy march this year,we bonded like never before. I have never in my entire life felt like this before. It is so strange that each conversation we have all seems anew like we are starting all over.

It's almost ten months and the fire is still intense.
I have never had such a long friendship with a male. People assume we are dating. He gives me so much JOY... He is so awesome, different from all the others i have known. He changed me.

I just figured out i want to end the friendship, I don't know why. I am tired. I want to walk away. The passion is still there but i want to be away. I wanted to get a new SIM but my conscience will not. What has kept me from doing this is because i wonder how he will feel..

I want to walk away. Will i regret this?

Yes, you self serving, self centered, selfish sociopath. Don't report me oo. It's just a joke. But honestly, something is seriously wrong with you.
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by dragunov: 4:31pm On Dec 27, 2019
Michellekabod2:
the first option though is tough....never met someone like him before. It seems he is the beginning and end for me in regards to love.

You're going to listen to that loser, right?

3 Likes

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by dragunov: 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
Lightangel65:

Or he may just use her who knows, but if he is as kind-hearted as you say just give a try, after all what's there to loose.
I didn't know girls were capable of love

Stop poisoning her already messed up mind. You will not make a disciple of her. I can see you're desperately trying to ruin her life with your venomous advises.

3 Likes

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2019
I think you need to really talk to someone about your past, maybe childhood, I believe that our experience with people over years shape who we eventually become, and this is every stage of your life, like when you want to talk like mommy or act like big sis, or your favorite TV star. It start very early like when you were 2 or 3
You need to find out why you don’t want to attach to something, you are already seeing the good side of it, if you want to stop all that joy to go back to a shell there’s something in your subconscious that’s triggering that thought.
I tried to help my ex but I found out hers had to do with luck and her dark past, you know youthful exuberance but yours sound different.
You may not find out by thinking about it but if your past was not affected by youthful exuberance, you know things you don’t want him to find out, if they were just things that happened because of where you found yourself at those point in time, it will do good to share it with this man. You are going to feel like you have shared something with him that is so big you wouldn’t have if not that you want him to be one that understand the reasons behind your actions, it’s a good start to commitment, you will find out that as you share this things you are going to unlock certain things from your past that you have forgotten a long for a long time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Acidosis(m): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2019
UyaiIncomparabl:

That's not true. smiley

How're you doing?
Hmm I'm good my dear. How're you?
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2019
Michellekabod2:

I have spent most of my life single. I tried linking up with people but to no avail. Why? I will not do the blame game here. Is all my fault. I meet someone, get heed over heels for the person but I lose interest easily. When it comes to commitment, when the friendship is to get to the next level I ghost them. I don't know why. At best out of the blue I lose interest and become blank, not returning calls or replying messages, at worst I become disgusted at the fellow for no reason at all then move one to the next male friend. Nothing serious comes out of it...

So I decided to give up trying. My female friends and I go on an outing, some guys approach us and get our numbers. Months (sometimes years) later they are still waxing strong with the males, one of them even got married to one of them. But me? After a couple of weeks I find myself having to ghost the guy that I was head over heels for.

I met this guy march this year,we bonded like never before. I have never in my entire life felt like this before. It is so strange that each conversation we have all seems anew like we are starting all over.

I have never had such a long friendship with a male. People assume we are dating. He gives me so much JOY... He is so awesome, different from all the others i have known. He changed me.

I just figured out i want to end the friendship, I don't know why. I am tired. I want to walk away. The passion is still there but i want to be away. I wanted to get a new SIM but my conscience will not. What has kept me from doing this is because i wonder how he will feel..

If the men are not the cause of the lost of interest, if its just you deciding out of the blues to ditch them, then go for deliverance from spiritual husband.
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by seangy4konji: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2019
Last last when you keep using people you will meet someone thwtbwould use ur destiny to buy Benz..

Karma is real..

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by MJBOLT: 8:59pm On Dec 27, 2019
see what feminism has done to you,michelle

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 27, 2019
Tiasma:
Michellekabod2, I'm going to address your very interesting self-revelation in detail (I'm afraid in too much a detail that may scare you). But even then, I won't be able to cover all the relevant and vital angles and depths pertinent to the concerns you've raised in sincere faith. I dearly hope all my effort won't go in vain by you, for whatever reason, not getting to read this. This is my first ever comment on this platform and it'd be very disappointing to have the person it's meant for missed it.

I'm going to approach my treatment of your existential dilemma in three parts. First part - I'll try to analyse your original post intricately, examining all the critical statements and wordings, and making some conjectures and relevant inferences alongside. Second part - I'll address your headline question ("I easily lose interest in guys. Will I regret this?"wink and your final question ("I want to walk away. Will I regret this?"wink. Third part - Will consist of my concluding remark in which also I'll pretend to offer some general comforting advice.

Before I launch into my task as outlined above, I'd like to make some general opening remarks and thereby whet your appetite for what is to come later. First, the overall impression I came off with from absorbing both the spirit and letters of your post was that, potentially, you're a thoroughly original individual (though this is a tautology as there can be no originality of personality without a nurtured individuality). And this quality alone should be enough to recommend you to the attention of any sensible and sensitive mind. But as you'd come to discover (in case you're not yet aware), you have more than just one quality speaking to your exceptionality. More on this as I dig deeper...

PART ONE - A CRITICAL LOOK INTO YOUR POST
1. "I have spent MOST of my life single." With this opening statement I'm left with many questions on my mind. Does it mean you've been in a relationship(s) before, no matter how flitting? Nothing else in your post suggests you have, except the intimacy of friendship. Another pertinent question concerns your age. How old are you? (take this as rhetorical question). There is another question born from the 'tone' underlying the statement opening this paragraph; when you said you have spent most of your life single, I'm wondering with what attitude you made this statement - is it in the voice of someone who sees this as a worthy achievement or of someone who is lamenting? You see, all three questions each have their significance and implications both in the now and in the long-term. Unfortunately, time and space would forbid I explore them.

2. "I TRIED linking up with people but to NO AVAIL." This is the point all those who have tagged you negatively missed. You see, it is difficult for we humans to understand anything and anyone that is not sufficiently like us let alone one who is nothing like us. The more less like others an individual is, the greater the aversion inspired in people (Gays are a good case in point). Interestingly, this is actually a protective factor in our history and it is deeply ingrained in our genes. One could, thus, not cast much blame without falling into the same moral (though biological) 'weakness'. The quote opening this paragraph tells me that your experience of "easily losing interest in guys" is not something borne of choice but of something more deeper, more deterministic, more beyond your easy manipulation. This is why most of our personal struggles (against our better and worst selves) are the highest instance of the tragic comedy that is life. Wisdom is revealed in such simple acts as 'acceptance without redundancy' - to accept a disagreeable aspect of yourself without giving up to a mental state of inaction. One staves off guilt and shame while the latter keeps self-degeneration at bay.

3. "Is all my fault." This complete shouldering of responsibility, though not wholly objective, is admirable. To assume responsibility for our own conscious and 'voluntary' experiences is the hallmark of moral and intellectual fortitude. I suspect that someone of your unique psychological and emotional mold would have been justified in looking at the rest of your 'ordinary' fellow 'worldlers' and cast them with a look of contempt and condescension. You wouldn't have been much wrong if you had judged them for their 'petty shortsightedness' and 'superficiality of judgment'. Rather, you chose to direct your moral compass inwards and by so doing demonstrating a capacity for reflection and introspection. But in truth, it is far less your fault than you think. And were we to duly apportion blames, the arm of reasoned justice will indict a 'world' unkind to anything or anyone 'different'.

4. "I lose interest easily." While this tendency isn't exactly something to be proud of, it is often a manifestation of our unique psychological configuration. This can be very worrisome on a personal level because it always leads us towards the path of forced disengagement with what or those we truly admire or who truly admire us. It creates a cycle of anxiety in which we worry about potential (and indeed desirable) connections with others before, during, and after encountering them. The only thing is this anxiety is many times based not on false thinking but sound induction from past experiences and self-knowledge. There is one thing you should know though: this inability to sustain interest in something or someone can either be a strength or a weakness depending on how it's harnessed and deployed. The secret to this delicate balance is 'expectation' - what are your expectations and how do you manage them?

5. "I don't know why." I just have to highlight the simple honesty reflected in this simple admission. And actually, it is the very truth. Many of the things we feel, think, and do, are far beyond our ability to explain to any degree of accuracy. The forces within and without shaping and determining our course in life are just too innumerable for our pretentious and petty minds to grasp to any sensible extent. But the pretense is good for sanity and constructing meaning (more like personal myth). If you're the reading sort (and it'd be indeed unfortunate if you aren't) I should like to recommend the book MINDWISE by Nicholas Epley for further education and edification along this line. Admitting we do not know is often the beginning of any meaningful journey into enlightenment, either of the self or of the world we live in.

6. "I FIND MYSELF having to ghost the guy that I was head over heels for." This statement tells me that your struggle with keeping it going with any guy has less to do with lack of sincere and genuine emotional connection but more to do with the 'lifespan' of your feelings (if and when sparked). This relates to the point raised in paragraph 4. 'Interest' is the 'life' of any MEANINGFUL engagement. Any thing left after 'interest' is gone is nothing but lifeless shadow. To therefore continue to stay on with interest having dissipated is to invite feelings contrary to what was originally felt, feelings such as resentment, frustration, meaninglessness, and so on. The difference between you and most others is that they are never really sure if and when they have lost interest in something or someone. And as you must know, one of the most potent weapon against action (positive or negative) is uncertainty. Nothing spurs and sustains action and resolve like certainty. I thus reckon that in your case, you're hardly ever in doubt once the bug of 'disinterest' hits your core. In such moment, to not "ghost" the guy will, in the long run, be worse than doing so. And a sensible guy will not force you to persist if he has any ounce of interest in preserving his aura and impeccability of character in your reckoning.

8. "I...chose to be single." This is a fine statement and I think it partially answers the third of the three questions I posed in the first paragraph. It is a self-affirming statement which also explains why you'd assume responsibility for whatever happens in your quest to unravel the mystery that is your 'self'. Please never let anybody shakes your confidence in the sanity and wisdom of that choice. I know (or perhaps I hope) that it is a choice for the present and not necessarily for all time. It is often more difficult for a woman to opt for singleness and romantic disentanglement while still living in a world suffused with phoney and easy affections. To assume this posture without hypocrisy and regret is one of the evidences of feminine strength of character.

9. "Each conversation we have all seems anew like we're starting all over." This is the first indication of the nature of your desire and the kind of ideal you aspire to in your involvement with a man. You seem to thirst for something novel amidst a reality that is so mundane and static; perhaps you long for an interpersonal engagement that is dynamic, refreshing, edifying, and regenerative. This need for novelty, freshness, newness can sometimes be threatened with permanence or ownership which most relationships tend towards. How do you then maintain this delicate balance between a feeling responsive only to 'newness' and the need to constantly keep in touch with the external source of this feeling? I won't pretend I have an answer to this. But may I recommend yet another biography to you. Go and read about the lifetime romance (a strange type which I have no doubt you won't have problem relating with) between these two first class french philosophers - Paul Sartre and Simon De Beauvoir.

10. "It's almost ten months and the FIRE is still intense." The word 'fire' is an interesting metaphor to use. It betrays a reservoir of passion probably greater than any possessed by most girls but with perhaps this difference - that it is tempered with sensible ideals borne less of reason than of a nature unique. Your uniqueness lies not much in your difficulty bonding with most guys at all or for long but more in the scarcity of the type of guys endowed with the right combination of attributes and capacities capable of exciting the fire of your passion and sustaining it forever. This type of man that can realize the dream specified by your unique personality exists, but to find him you will have to earn it as you'd have to measure up (in a sense) to him. The more rare the kind of man or woman we desire for ourselves the more we'd have to strive to set ourselves above common grounds and sentiment. Here, you need to sincerely examine yourself and ask yourself: If you happen to eventually meet the 'ideal' (in a very strictly defined sense) man for you, would you be able to confidently and truthfully consider yourself fit for him? A good book to teach you this lesson is one written by Ayn Rand (a woman like you but with a male hero) titled FOUNTAINHEAD.

11. "I just figured out I want to end the friendship." Before I comment directly on this quote, let me say this: sometimes, the most rewarding and edifying type of relationship is found in friendship. And it is the most ideal type of relationship for deeply independent souls. So back to the quote; in spite of the "JOY", the "fire", the "awesomeness", and his "differentness", you still feel the need to retreat? This suggests to me two things, maybe three. First, that you're afflicted with a tendency toward melancholy (a contemplative and reflective disposition coupled with low energy) which makes you desire a period of retreat into your personal space after every attempt to venture into 'tasking' regions beyond and outside the 'self' (If this is correct at all, you might need to task your physical body more in recreational activities). Second, that this fantastic guy who somehow managed to touch and "change' something in you was not quite the complete package you aspire to. And third, perhaps you ruined this particular one by immersing yourself too much in it and thus exhausting your limited reserve of psychic (emotional and physical) energy. Sometimes we are so deprived of something that we gobble ourselves sick the moment we find it. You might need to consider cultivating virtues like self-discipline and delaying gratification - to learn to take a sip rather than a gulp even in your most parched condition.

12. "My conscience will not." Conscience is a double-edged sword - it troubles the soul yet offers the hope of redemption and transcendence. Redemption, not from guilt or shame (for you would seem to have no just reason to suffer from these) but from the risk of slipping gradually into the slough of despondence and the abyss of cynicism (i.e to give up hope of a meaningful and fulfilling existence). And you "wonder how he'll feel." Which tells me that in spite of your apathy and disdain for romance or long-term emotional investment, your inner emotional world is rich in sensitivities. This is the intersection where conscience provokes guilt and guilt shame and shame the search for forgiveness. But with the richness of your inner world, transcendence is a possibility through the instruments of sincerity of heart and openness of mind.

PART TWO
I have wasted so much words and time (both absolutely necessary) on the first part and yet I did not succeed in saying a quarter of what I'd like to say. I'll address the issues for this second part more directly and shelve the third part, perhaps. The two questions are intricately connected and are both underlined by the same concern - the fear of regret. I have partly addressed these two questions on my journey down to this point. So I'll only say very little here and now.
1. The first question: "I easily lose interest in guys, will I regret this?" You'll only regret this if you fail to be open and revealing to each and every guy you have to deal with when it comes to the peculiarity and the impermanence of your emotional energy. When you allow selfish considerations to preclude you from revealing upfront the emotional limit and constraint you're working with at the beginning of any meaningful interaction with a guy, you set the guy up for nursing a false hope which you're bound to disappoint. And because you have an active conscience, guilt and sadness become inevitable. In most cases, 'warning' most guys will make them even admire you more at first and perhaps not believe you (because of their belief that they are special enough to make you feel differently). But they won't be able to justly accuse you of deceiving and using them ill and your conscience can rest in peace. NB: I hope to address the question of 'selfishness' in more detail further down, hopefully.

2. Your second question: "I want to walk away. Will I regret this?" I need to say this; often time, a preoccupation with regret following a contemplated or executed action is a sign of moral immaturity. I have a feeling that there is still much you need to learn in the realm of moral reasoning. Your moral instinct is strong but still somewhat naive for lack of proper education. Your question raises another curious question; why do you want to walk away? (yes, I know you said you lost interest). And why the fear of regret of walking away? Have you taken advantage of this guy in any unfair way? Have you used him to satisfy some emotional and material needs? Or have you been willing recipient of many acts of generosities from him? Have you raised his hope knowing fully well it'll soon be dashed? What exactly is the germ behind your fear of regret Michellekabod2? Of course, I wouldn't know. However, if you're guilty of any of the omissions or commissions raised in those rhetorical questions, it will constitute an instance of the selfishness I mentioned earlier. If not, then "walking away" should not breed any regret in you. But "walking away", you have to do it properly and responsibly. You don't just "walk away" from people who have touched you and brought you "joy" and kindled "fire" in you. Yes, maybe this fact makes you feel like an ingrate and you're afraid that telling them how you feel (a very difficult feat in itself) will make them want to convince you otherwise and in the process be exposed to further displaying the rigidity of your decision to call it quit. Well, those are secondary considerations.

In "walking away", you need not make it final in tone. You might construe it as a recurrent need to disengage and "keep in touch" with your self. You must acknowledge to him all he has been to you and has triggered in you while letting him know your decision to let your foot of the gas and pull back has nothing to do with him. Most likely he will struggle to understand your ramblings and stuttering and end up drawing a conclusion not very kind to you. But again this is a secondary consideration as long as he cannot validly accuse you of using him. Next time, the moment you observe that an encounter with a guy is assuming a more intimate and confiding form, be quick to sensitize the guy to all the peculiarities and uncertainties of your person. Meanwhile keep working on your extraordinary 'self' as you do have a lot to work on - but then who doesn't?

I have decided to shelve the third part. I have penned this response for myself as much as for you.
Already I apologize for the extraordinary 'brevity' of my comment. I'm sure this has to be a record on Nairaland.

NB: I would probably adjust a significant portion of all I have written above with the benefit of more concrete information about your person. But seeing that I have to work with a severely insufficient material, many of my inferences and conjectures are inevitably going to be off track here and there. I therefore expect you to read it (If you could stomach the bizarre length) with a personal but objective filter. I assume responsibility for any wrong assumption and imputations to your person and character. I have written all in good faith and hope you'll find something useful in it as I thoroughly enjoyed typing it.

You can reach me here: sammyati25@gmail.com

If only you know how grateful i am. I dont think i can express it enough. I read all of this,all to the end. Will save it for offline use. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Ilekokonit: 10:37pm On Dec 27, 2019
healthserve:
Stop using people. Be better. Stop taking people for a ride with your emotional recklessness

Use and discard. Passive Narcissistic personality disorder. Go see a therapist. You're a destroyer

You also have an over-inflated ego. The world doesn't revolve around you. And No, you're not too good for everyone.

You're an egomaniac that exists for feel-good vibes only with a detached feeling from regular existence. Go see a therapist. You're pathetic

Words on marble.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 28, 2019
Michellekabod2:

Alot of guys have admitted to this on this same thread and yet no one has called them the names i am being called. It seems it is seen as normal for guys but terrible for ladies. I wonder how losing interest and harmlessly moving on with your life makes you a demon. If it were within my power will i run here seeking for help?shame though,shame

Don't worry so much about these little minds. Only worry about the way forward.. What exactly do you want in a guy? Start from there!

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by budaatum: 6:09pm On Jan 19, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Someone must have said something about village people doing you, but I'm afraid I can't read the entire thread to tell, so would appreciate if someone could point me to a few.

Some people seem not to like their own happiness and would find ways to destroy the little they have.

Will you regret it? Well, that depends. We humans are very adept at convincing ourselves to believe what we wish to believe, so you might not regret it at all. But, you know if you've regretted men you dumped in the past, and in this case, that might be very predictive of the future.

Trust me, he'll get over it. I just doubt you'd do, since you are expressing unhappiness here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by budaatum: 6:17pm On Jan 19, 2020
Tiasma:

A good book to teach you this lesson is one written by Ayn Rand (a woman like you but with a male hero) titled FOUNTAINHEAD.
Over a thousand pages in tiny print to learn about the "ideal man" and find your Randian Hero

Good thing is every page would help you consider your own self worth too.

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Tunagee(m): 8:28am On Jan 20, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Don't blame yourself! Its because most guys are just fake with stinking balls....
They only want that thing between your thighs.
However, going to MFM church for deliverance won't be a bad idea, cos you may end up remaining single for life, if not careful.

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Liposure: 9:25am On Jan 28, 2020
Buktol:

You have a spiritual husband..better u go for deliverance..dat SH go dey mak u do d unneedful..
hi
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by bukatyne(f): 6:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
Michellekabod2:

What are you afraid of?

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 01, 2020
bukatyne:

What are you afraid of?
Everything. The term commitment frightens me. What will tomorrow hold?that's my fear,I don't know the future
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by bukatyne(f): 6:30pm On Feb 01, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Everything. The term commitment frightens me. What will tomorrow hold?that's my fear,I don't know the future

Why are you afraid of the 'future?'

Has someone you trusted hurt you in the past?
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 6:35pm On Feb 01, 2020
Michellekabod2:

.. If this is your problem,then you don't have to. I can tell you that alot of people felt this way at one point. But give it a trial and you will find out it happens in almost all spheres of life. There's always fear at every stage. Come off it abeg.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by gentlegenius(m): 9:27pm On Feb 01, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Yes i am. Alot of talking drains me except its a special one. He called me for seven hours once and it felt like minutes
Did you say seven hours?
As in... 7 hours?
Damn!
Bihari was right.
Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by XhosaNostra(f): 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Are you an Aquarius? I'm assuming you are going by your signature & your write up.

It happens. Fight against the urge to walk away if this is someone whose companionship you value. I have a problem staying consistent with people myself. One toe out of line from them & I instantly feel like disengaging. I have boundaries i don't like crossed. In relationships I try hard not to be as dismissive though. But it continues to be an internal struggle I constantly have to battle, even in love. In platonic relationships I'm not as sentimental though, I'm able to walk away without looking back. We love our freedom & space or we suffocate.

Take a look at this, you might find it relatable.

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by olisaEze(m): 10:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
XhosaNostra:

Are you an Aquarius? I'm assuming you are going by your signature & your write up.

It happens. Fight against the urge to walk away if this is someone whose companionship you value. I have a problem staying consistent with people myself. One toe out of line from them & I instantly feel like disengaging. I have boundaries i don't like crossed. In relationships I try hard not to be as dismissive though. But it continues to be an internal struggle I constantly have to battle, even in love. In platonic relationships I'm not as sentimental though, I'm able to walk away without looking back. We love our freedom & space or we suffocate.

Take a look at this, you might find it relatable.

Xhosa she’s in need of deliverance, na spirit husband bi that! grin Prophet Odumeje is available, ie when he’s not busy applauding thief thief governors from the crowd. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by XhosaNostra(f): 6:27am On Feb 26, 2020
olisaEze:

Xhosa she’s in need of deliverance, na spirit husband bi that! grin Prophet Odumeje is available, ie when he’s not busy applauding thief thief governors from the crowd. grin grin grin

Lol.

1 Like

Re: I Easily Lose Interest In Guys, Will I Regret This? by efewizey(m): 1:45am On Feb 29, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Same thing here.. Got that in common. Gets lonely sometimes though..

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

I Love Older Men! / Port Harcourt Lady Becomes Mute After Visiting Lover In Lagos / Pastor Bisi Adewale Reveals 16 Foolish Things Girls Do In The Name Of Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 233
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.