Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,592 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (50085 Views)

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK / How Often Should Couples Have Sex? / 7 Unavoidable Things Nigerian Couples Experience After Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by NiCurious: 8:17pm On Dec 29, 2019
HazzanTazzan:
I have 2 already... a male and a female and that's it...

No more...

God help me raise them better than my parents raised me ...

If my wife get a pregnant, na to abort

Since you know you've got all the children you want, having a vasectomy done would remove the risk of more children by accident, and avoid abortion.
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by latitidejavu: 8:19pm On Dec 29, 2019
Preetychina22:

This makes a lot of sense. Don't even stop at 10. Make it 70 so that some will join the house of reps and the senate. I'm sure one of them will be President insha Allah. Some will join the super eagles team too.
Ewu Gambia.

Don't mind the idiot
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by pannyman(m): 8:20pm On Dec 29, 2019
Obi1kenobi:

No it does not. I don't know where you're getting your strange stats from. Nigeria's birth rate, fertility rate and population growth rate are FARRRR higher than Brazil. It's not even close. Please, use your Google. This is 2019, not 1919.

Homosexuality has little influence on birth rates. Homosexuals are a small minority of the population.
China's population is not a measure of its breeding habits. It simply means ancient China consolidated a very large, homogeneous civilization. And nobody is talking about population here, but population growth rate. China's population is static and barely growing and might be entering a period of recession (like Japan and South Korea which have declining populations). Most of the population growth in the world over the next century will come from subsaharan Africans because we still breed like medieval Europeans. It's symptomatic of an unproductive culture. It's a fact of life that productive, enlightened cultures simply don't have the time or inclination to be breeding like rabbits. And we need a serious reorientation.

Brilliant!
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by ImaIma1(f): 8:23pm On Dec 29, 2019
uninspired07:
I know this my thread might get some people angry but it’s a subject that surprises me whenever I think of it. How do normal Nigerians who are educated have more than 2 children in a country like Nigeria with all the poverty & hopelessness? I am still single but I have it in mind to lay a ground rule that whichever woman I marry must agree to family planing methods after the birth of the 1st child whether male or female. And if the 1st baby is male, we can as well wait for another 5 years before having a baby of either sex as the last.

But I wonder when I see Nigerians that are [b]not so wealthy giving birth to 4 - 5 kids in the midst of grinding economic depression [/b]and in a nation that has clearly failed. Don’t these Nigerians know that the country can descend into war anytime due to the instability that is so palpable? I get afraid when I see couples who have 4 children in this day & age so I always wonder how they are coping with the stress & the bills. I also wonder why they are not afraid of Nigeria.

The bolded is kind of true.

Where I work, the regular and senior staff have an average of three children. But the drivers...two have 5. Another has 3 already and he's the youngest(obviously not done yet). The oldest has just two though.

It's a funny world. I always ask these people if their children are on scholarship cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by HazzanTazzan(m): 8:31pm On Dec 29, 2019
NiCurious:

Since you know you've got all the children you want, having a vasectomy done would remove the risk of more children by accident, and avoid abortion.

Wtf... Will you do such thing to yourself and your wife?

Learn to think thru and your advise before dishing it out ...
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by KevinDein: 8:43pm On Dec 29, 2019
@Obi1kenobi

Just brilliant brilliant points you have made so far, bro. I genuinely enjoyed reading all your comments.

4 Likes

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by ayanbaba2(m): 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2019
Saltybear:

I pray you never have more than 2
Nigeria is facing a population crisis we don't need more stupid people around

Nonsense
banger! thanks for this

2 Likes

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Izigha(m): 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2019
maasoap:

I'm curious here, mind answering my question? You said if the 1st baby is a male, what if the 1st baby is a female? What happens then? What if the 2nd baby is also a female, what happens then? All are children but I'm asking you because of your specific statement about the 1st child being a male. If you're ready to stop after two females, what about your wife? Will she agree to stop after having two female children even when your own statement is pregnant? You guys need to consider all possibilities before making a futile promise to each other because you don't get to choose between male and female child even at giving birth twice.

Is there a special formula to protect one or two children during the war as against having 4 or 5 kids?
yes
if you can get hold of one okada you can zoom off with one wife and two kids
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by ayanbaba2(m): 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2019
emerged01:
As young as I am,I have only two boys and I don’t wish anymore. I don’t even want to think of buying baby food and diaper. When you see your wife changing 3 to 4 diapers in a day and telling you that our baby need different kind of baby food,rice,maize,soya,banana,potato flavour e.t.c I go tell am say...,”but food na food,wetin concern flavor for this mattergrin

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by maiunguwar: 8:58pm On Dec 29, 2019
Obi1kenobi:

I don't doubt or argue against the emboldened. The social dysfunction among Northern Muslims that prevents their upward mobility is undeniable. But that is a different issue. In this thread, we're talking solely about the common propensity all Nigerians have to breed like rabbits, and I'm just saying even Southerners are caught in the vicious cycle. I've lived down South here all my life and everyday, I see people with many children who have no business having many children. But yes, I'll concede from the data I've seen, Northerners are breeding more. This current generation of 18 to 40-year-olds seem to be turning things around. Most of my family and friends who are at breeding age right now aren't having any more than 3 kids. I hope this will define our future. Cos we're not yet an overpopulated country, but we're almost there.
Most Igbo's I know that married from the 90s have an average of 3or 4 kids
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by NiCurious: 8:58pm On Dec 29, 2019
HazzanTazzan:

Wtf... Will you do such thing to yourself and your wife?

Learn to think thru and your advise before dishing it out ...

Yes, I would. To me, preventing conception of unwanted children is preferable to aborting them.
Also, I did not ADVISE you to have a vasectomy. I pointed it out as an option. Choosing such may fit with the values of others reading this thread, who are considering their options for keeping the size of their family within limits.
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by frozen70(f): 8:59pm On Dec 29, 2019
vickydankal:

As harsh is this may sound, this is the raw truth..

Thanks for verifying it
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Litmus: 9:01pm On Dec 29, 2019
Nigeria land area is proximally 3 times larger than Banglesh and both nations share approximately same number of people. Why does the West make such a fuss of Nigeria's population?
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Izigha(m): 9:02pm On Dec 29, 2019
ImaIma1:

The bolded is kind of true.

Where I work, the regular and senior staff have an average of three children. But the drivers...two have 5. Another has 3 already and he's the youngest(obviously not done yet). The oldest has just two though.

It's a funny world. I always ask these people if their children are on scholarship cheesy
its like a scholarship cos their school fees are been paid by friends and relatives that are huszzlin in lagos, abuja, london , new york, dubai jozi and dublin if you know you know

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by soodiq91: 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2019
uninspired07:

If family planning fails, we abort.

We would not get into trouble as couple because we fvcked as a couple.

I fear Nigerian poverty a lot & all must be done to avoid it.
[color=#770077][/color]
Izigha:

yes
if you can get hold of one okada you can zoom off with one wife and two kids

If to say pikin dey make person poor, na bachelor suppose to get money pass

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by culf: 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2019
Saltybear:

I pray you never have more than 2
Nigeria is facing a population crisis we don't need more stupid people around

Nonsense

you're entitled to your opinion
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by swazpedro(m): 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2019
Obi1kenobi:

The problem with Africans is an inability to conceive what future you're living for your children and children's children and descendants to inherit. Maybe instead of "born as much as you can take care of", you should focus on "born as much as our society can take care of". You're not going to build the infrastructure or provide the services that will take care of the exploding population. It's why people like my father schooled in UNN with 2 people assigned per hostel room and food vouchers paid off by the government among other goodies and privileges while people like me were in a room of 6 people (minus squatters) in the same UNN hostels with crumbling infrastructure all over the place. You're not going to clean up the environment and waterways that the exploding population will pollute. You're not going to arrest the ecological damage and threats to the ecosystem of the exploding population.

It's why I laugh when oyinbos are talking about climate change and environmental conservation. They can't seriously talk about those things without getting Africans to stop breeding like rats.

The inability for the government to build more affordable hostels over the decade and not population (your UNN case study) , mismanagement is at its peak in Africa, China has over 1 billion, they have the cheapest labour and they have one of the best economy in the world, Nigeria is mismanaged, with Nigeria life expectancy at 53 I'm telling nothing is wrong with Nigerian birth rate, the high rate of birth in the North brought about boko haram to reduce the population (my guess, not fact) even the death rate in Nigeria is almost same as birth rate, so nothing like breeding like rats you need 1 or 2 children, your choice, I want to go above that, my choice, not African mentality, not everything from the west should be encouraged, about climate change birth rate does not adversely affect that but human poor environmental management
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by swazpedro(m): 9:05pm On Dec 29, 2019
LZAA:

That's what I'm trying to tell them
U can't use european/American setting in Africa
It can't work
Even in their side so many couples have up to 5 or 6 kids and depend on food stamps/welfare checks

Exactly my thoughts too

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Litmus: 9:07pm On Dec 29, 2019
Nigeria land area is larger than Pakistan but Pakistan’s population is significantly larger than even Nigeria’s estimated population. Why does the West make such a fuss of Nigeria's population ?

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by ayanbaba2(m): 9:14pm On Dec 29, 2019
Willdone5406:
As FOR ME OVER 1.5 CHILDREN IS ENOUGH SIMPLE

I weak ooo

over 1.5 could be 20...!

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by concept65: 9:14pm On Dec 29, 2019
dankol:

I do not intent to say anything on this thread, but this I can't ignore.. and I intend to do this. I don't know why in this part of the world we value stupid things like the number children you have. Our resources are over-utilized, universities and other educational institutions are chiming out graduates like birds laying eggs. Some employable, most unemployable.. what is wrong with us and the way we think.. to make matter worse..you see people hinging poverty, riches on fucking faith.. in the words of Paul, who has Bewitched you oh ye Nigerians? You don't have to sire a child before you can be a father or.mother... and u don't have to be one of you don't have the capacity to do so. The intense over population is the reason why employers are ruthless and demeaning. Pathetic.. having a child in this kind of environment without necessary succor to help the child overcome is waste of fucking life.. it's gambling. I would rather help the living than sire one in this unstable environment with little or no resources. Utter madness

I salute you and I respect your genuineness

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Cheeryfeet: 9:20pm On Dec 29, 2019
You are making excuses. Like I said in my initial comment, it boils down to your capacity, Qed. Making excuses for Abraham, he was rich so he can take care of his children, has anybody stopped you from being rich? Develop your capacity, if you want you can have 20 kids, as a matter of fact, my uncle immediate younger brother to my dad has 16 kids, and he takes all to vacation round the world, first class tickets, Google him David Ogba Onuoha. Quit whining, if you have capacity for 2, suit your self, for 4 fine,7 powerful, each according to his ability

2 Likes

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Litmus: 9:21pm On Dec 29, 2019
Can I ask, why was it that for decades, America made such a fuss of African American population until through immense medical trials and media campaigns, African American population increase was halted and indeed reversed to such an extent, African American population influence on the political landscape has become negligible? And, why, conversely, is it that in the same period, Hispanic American population experienced an explosion and America largely viewed and reports this positively? In addition, Hispanic American population influence in America’s political landscape has become so significant, their support for Trump, during the last election, is considered by contemporarys influential in his victory.
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by tempusfugit: 9:23pm On Dec 29, 2019
Lol Nigeria is even better, go to countries like Senegal, Mali you would cry for Africa!!!! For me one kid is very okay, isn't important quantity but quality, I prefer to give one naira to one child instead of sharing the one naira between 5 children. Imagine you re on holiday with 5 kids, lol that one nor be holiday again but 24 hours job.. Life is too short to get stressed

2 Likes

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Litmus: 9:27pm On Dec 29, 2019
Nigeria land area is a little larger than the combined islands that make up Indonesia yet Indonesia’s population is significantly larger than even Nigeria’s estimated population. Why does the West make such a fuss of Nigeria's population ?
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Cheeryfeet: 9:27pm On Dec 29, 2019
Preetychina22:

That is absolute nonsense.
Oga you have to be objective in making conversation, you talked but you didn't say anything at all.
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Kirinwa: 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2019
erifeoluwasimi:
That one no vex me at all. The one way vex me pass be say they will see me and tease me"madam this your boy suppose don get younger one o" and evening time they will come and be begging me for cup of rice.
One was telling me that why will I go for family planning if I am not cheating on my husband.
Nigerians women especially need reorientation

Family planning is a joint venture.

The one that pains most is where a woman ties herself without the man's consent leaving him frustrated.

When he finds out, don't blame him for divorce.
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Litmus: 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2019
Let us at this juncture sum up what we have so far: why is it that in Asia we have two nations with significantly larger population than Nigeria and one that share approximate population size with Nigeria and yet the West makes such a fuss of Nigeria and Africa’s population?

Pakistan: 216,565,318 million
Indonesia : 270.63 million
Bangladesh: 163.05 million

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Kirinwa: 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2019
tempusfugit:
Lol Nigeria is even better, go to countries like Senegal, Mali you would cry for Africa!!!! For me one kid is very okay, isn't important quantity but quality, I prefer to give one naira to one child instead of sharing the one naira between 5 children. Imagine you re on holiday with 5 kids, lol that one nor be holiday again but 24 hours job.. Life is too short to get stressed
The disadvantage is when that 1 dies when you are 65 and wife 59.
Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by tempusfugit: 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2019
So you prefer to make life difficult for your kids because you re afraid
Kirinwa:

The disadvantage is when that 1 dies when you are 65 and wife 59.

1 Like

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:46pm On Dec 29, 2019
swazpedro:

The inability for the government to build more affordable hostels over the decade and not population (your UNN case study) ,

Actually, the government have built a lot more schools since the first generation of universities and UNN specifically also expanded its infrastructure. But the government couldn't keep up with the rate of growth. It's not one or the other and I haven't told you that population is solely responsible for our problems. My point is that our population growth rate has only further complicated the myriad problems we have to cope with. And we're not coping well enough.

mismanagement is at its peak in Africa, China has over 1 billion, they have the cheapest labour and they have one of the best economy in the world, Nigeria is mismanaged, with Nigeria life expectancy at 53 I'm telling nothing is wrong with Nigerian birth rate, the high rate of birth in the North brought about boko haram to reduce the population (my guess, not fact) even the death rate in Nigeria is almost same as birth rate, so nothing like breeding like rats you need 1 or 2 children, your choice, I want to go above that, my choice, not African mentality, not everything from the west should be encouraged,

And one of the reasons China has been able to improve the life of its citizens, delivering services and infrastructure that facilitated its citizens enterprise and progress, was population control. Nigeria's low life expectancy is even helping to arrest the chaos that would have come with population explosion. It would have been even worse if our life expectancy was 78 or thereabouts. By now, our population would be pushing 300 million. ANd no, Nigeria's high death rate is comfortably eclipsed by its even higher birthrate, which is why we have a high population growth rate. Who said it wasn't your choice before? My point is our society needs serious reorientation about the way poor people in particular recklessly have multiple children, condemned to a life of misery and poverty.
And everything good from the West should be encouraged. Unbridled breeding should be discouraged, because the challenges of the world today make it absolutely necessary that we operate sustainably and efficiently with the lowest environmental footprint possible.

about climate change birth rate does not adversely affect that but human poor environmental management

This is the most illogical part of your post. Humans are by far the most impactful creatures on the planet. The less humans there are in the world, the less impact humans have on the environment: from climate change to wildlife conservation to reduction of pollution. Human activity is mostly responsible for environmental degradation, ocean pollution, endangered animal species, and yes, climate change. Human beings are the reason you don't see leopards or lions or elephants or even ordinary antelopes in your daily living. Cos humans cannot inhabit anywhere sustainably without considerable destruction. So yes, if you want to conserve and preserve what is left of your environment for the well-being or your children, and your children's children and those that come after them, then yes, we need to join the 21st century with the rest of the world and stop breeding like medieval savages.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? by tempusfugit: 9:47pm On Dec 29, 2019
You stil didn't get the point, is not about others but about the problems we have in our country, our population is one of our problems, all what we saying is the quality of our population is very low therefore a society with such a population can never develop fully... take it or leave it
Litmus:
Let us at this juncture sum up what we have so far: why is it that in Asia we have two nations with significantly larger population than Nigeria and one that share approximate population size with Nigeria and yet the West makes such a fuss of Nigeria and Africa’s population?

Pakistan: 216,565,318 million
Indonesia : 270.63 million
Bangladesh: 163.05 million

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Husband Waits To Have Sex Until Marriage . . . Then Learns Wife Is 4 Months Preg / The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. / My Wife Betrayed & Left Me And Got Pregnant For Another Man While I Was In Jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.