Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist (57214 Views)

Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 / Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Roycemadeit(m): 10:55am On Dec 31, 2019
k4kenny:

That was a typo jor grin. Should be imperfections tongue
Actually I was hinting on on "God making something imperfect."
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Roycemadeit(m): 10:56am On Dec 31, 2019
k4kenny:

That was a typo jor grin. Should be imperfections tongue
Actually I was hinting on "God making something imperfect."
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 11:01am On Dec 31, 2019
1StopRudeness:

Atheist are the most entitled, bitter, angry sets of people in the universe ...they blame God for everything, they automatically want the “love” and “mercy” attribute of God to fallaciously mean no one should not die, fall sick or suffer and they must always get a yes answer to their request.....

and that’s why their greatest enemy isn’t the” non-existence God” but people like them who believe in God...I mean for a God who doesn’t exist, they put in too much effort insulting him...

.. just see their statement, all they do is rant about what God ddnt do.. all they do is insult, I read tru some of the thread, one complained that God ddnt give him a job when he asked hence he doesnt exist, another said something like nothing created the us cos a God who allow others distort his word has no power ....very fallacious thinking sets of people

I dont think that that is just an atheist quality; in fact it is true of all those who dont truly understand the place of God in their lives.

The complaining and insulting is just a sign that the person does not actually understand what they are arguing against.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by WebSurfer(m): 11:03am On Dec 31, 2019
k4kenny:

How is God nature? Any proof to this?
Look at everything around you. If it doesn’t amount to a force from nature
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 31, 2019
Jesus Christ authoritatively stated that he his the only way to God, recorded at John 14:6. Hence it remains QED.
No other founders of other faith ever said that of themselves.
Point 2: In no where in the Bible is alcoholic beverages condemned in the bible, but the Bible shield light what might result in its abuse, the same way the Bible condemned gluttony which results from overeating.
Point 3: Tithe originally was meant to support the priestly class of the tribe of Levi, by the other eleven tribes of Isreal.
Upon coming of Christ he ended the laws of tithes (Romans 10:4) which is not only of tenth parts but also of fifteenth part, and that of Sabbath.
Anyone paying tithe today is not a Christian, because such ones has repudiated the ransom sacrifice he offered to redeem mankind from sin and death.
Point 4: As of suffering the Almighty God Jehovah and his son Jesus Christ never promised any of there followers a life of easy, but in all their tributions they will never leave them alone, but will surely show them a way out, miserable abject poor persons cut across all nations, in respective of faith.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2019
midnighter:

Is this a rhetorical question?

Not at all. I mean it most seriously. And would appreciate a serious answer . . .
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Daejoyoung: 11:06am On Dec 31, 2019
k4kenny:

Exactly we are humans, we're prone to making errors. Any scripture inspired by the God Almighty cannot be incorrect.

No, God never authored a book. Rather He inspired His Prophets with the scriptures to guide their people to worship none but Him. These scriptures were later corrupted by human hence the errors. The Qur'an is the final scripture of God to mankind. Allah Himself said it'll be protected from corruption.
I think we are not understanding each other here. l am saying that the bible was never taken to be dictated word of God from the very beginning. lt was always known to be written by man but useful for our information about God and our learning. lt is not even one single book, it is a library of books chosen by jews and Christians themselves. ln christianity most especially, the gospels are not from jesus, they are biographies about him written 40-50years after his death.
Anything written by man can have errors, it doesn't mean there's no truth in it.
You are the one who say Quran is authored by God, so the Islamic religion is a stricter religion of the book than Judaism and Christianity.
Jews and Christians can agree that their books have errors and that men authored it, but for muslims they must accept the entire quran as the word of God himself, and all muslims must believe this, which to me is a bigger problem for islam.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 11:08am On Dec 31, 2019
whitelotus:

First shut down hell. A permanent punishment for a temporal sin? Hell no.

Thats not an answer to my question.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 11:09am On Dec 31, 2019
DeepSight:

Not at all. I mean it most seriously. And would appreciate a serious answer . . .

You would have to expand on your original statement first
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by themonk(m): 11:09am On Dec 31, 2019
midnighter:

You have taken the Bible accounts out of context. Rather than using your own concept of morality to judge that of the people doing the warring and enslaving, you should take time to understand the environment, orientation and circumstances surrounding those Biblical events and what God was hoping to achieve by assisting them in their endeavours.

Are you being deliberately condescending? Your second paragraph is beside the point; I have never denied that traditional religion could be effective so no need to lecture me on that. Why dont you as well "go out and do your own research" instead of twisting the Bible to suit your spurious "arm-chair argument"

I dont see the point in you using the Old Testament as an argument against Christianity without considering the New Testament which forms the explanation and validation of the first part. How can a pastor who kills people be justified by the Bible? You are not making sense. Can a native doctor who poisons people be justified by any masquerade cult or Nze na Ozo society? So whats your point exactly

Can you exactly tell me in what context it makes sense that a book of justice would encourage humans to own their fellow humans as property?
While at it tell me in which context it makes sense for a loving God to send a particular tribe to war against the other tribe even when he created both.

Like I said before if these things aren't figurative, it makes zero sense. If your argument is that God changed in the New Testament and started behaving differently, how are you sure he won't change after rapture? I mean he could wake up one morning and say, I no longer love all my children just these particular ones, others can go to hell. The idea is I cannot trust a God who did these things to love me. Slavery and Tribal wars cannot be encouraged and justified in the same breath, if you know of any esoteric knowledge that explains this you are not sharing I would be happy to help.

Sorry if I sounded condescending.

There are pastors who kill, when I mean kill I mean spiritually. Just the same way prophets in the bible could send a bear to devour kids under the "Spirit of God". There were native doctors who do good things only like heal people. The idea is that these spirits are in man irrespective of religion and instead of being deep in religion be deep in spirituality.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by FactualSpeech: 11:14am On Dec 31, 2019
englishmart:
I'm not that jobless, man.

Man, I think he meant no harm and thats why he apologized for suggesting that you read the Quran. You may decide to read wide probably the questions you feel the Bible is unable to answer will be answered by the Quran.

In all, the ball is in your court, nobody can force you to take action against your will but I am sure you will appreciate giving it a try even if its for knowledge sake.

Shalom!
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by virago(f): 11:15am On Dec 31, 2019
englishmart:
I guess I'm beginning to wake up to that reality.

You are really getting smart now
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 31, 2019
midnighter:

Who has never committed evil? Ever?

Me.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by virago(f): 11:19am On Dec 31, 2019
Roycemadeit:
Englishmart
When a child is born blind, the child probably made someone blind in his past life. The Bible can't give you this knowledge because those that know seek to cage our minds with fear.

This is the biggest bullshit I've heard all year
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 31, 2019
pressplay411:

Ok i get your point.
Let me rephrase then, our ancestors passed it down to us.

Ur white ancestors passed it down to u and ur fellow Christians.

My ancestors arent Adam and Eve so they didnt pass down anything to me
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by themonk(m): 11:29am On Dec 31, 2019
k4kenny:

It has come to my understanding that most atheists and critics of religions only do so by criticizing the Christian perspective of God and what the bible says.

Your statement that God believes he was not created is weird. How can you tell what God believes? Anyways Islam has its own explanation of God and how the world came into being.

Science theorised that the universe was created by an expansion which lead to a big bang. This is also stated in the Qur'an. The question now is what lead to this big bang?. Newton's first law of motion states that an external force causes an effect on an object. Whatever force that caused the big bang is definitely outside of this universe.

Also note that whatever causes an effect has no resemblance to the effect it has caused. Let me explain better. When you blow a balloon, it expands. The expansion is as a result of the air pressure inside the balloon. The air(cause) has no resemblance whatsoever with the balloon's expansion (effect). In the same vein, the Creator of the universe bears no resemblance to any of the effects of His cause. Q112.4 states 'and there is nothing like unto Him'. Any religion that gives their 'god' a human identity is nothing but a sham.

I'll really urge the OP and others to please study Islam with a non biased mind. Forget about all this propaganda of Isis and Boko haram. It's all plot to cause chaos and divert people from the truth.

First, right off the bat. I'm not an Atheist and I have no recurring interest in criticism of religion. I'm just motivated to do it today.

You have come to substitute the Christian story with your own Muslim story which honestly is more ridiculous maybe except for the figurative big bang theory it supposedly talked about. Let me not even go into the story of how most religions turn literal things into figurative expressions so they can fit into mordern societal beliefs and they can in turn say their holy book prophesied it.

So scientists have said they do not know what caused the big bang, let us just say you are correct and it is "God" that as you said "Exists outside the universe" that caused it. So who created this God that exists outside the universe? Let us say he exists in another universe or in a multiverse. Who created this multiverse? Someone might show up tommorrow and say your own "God" was created by him and this multivelse is his own "Garden of eden", isn't it?

The idea that you say it is God because a book told you that one of the Gods out of about 4200 God's that existed throughout history Created the universe is ridiculous. I mean Egyptians, Greeks, African Traditional religions had their own convincing stories. But you own is the one who created the universe, how convinent? The reason your own created the universe is because you were born into a family of Muslims or on a rare occasion you got converted to Islam. This is why the Christian also believes his own God created the universe.

Don't even start by telling me all religions have the same God because God obviously told you guys different stories and gave you different books.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by COLATUNDE(m): 11:38am On Dec 31, 2019
Hello can we have a chat please at your time?
colatunde@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Roycemadeit(m): 11:39am On Dec 31, 2019
virago:

This is the biggest bullshit I've heard all year

grin grin grin
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Mbitiouz69: 11:53am On Dec 31, 2019
[quote author=englishmart post=85307086]1.Jesus is the only way to God, John 14:6
This invariably means those who don't believe in Jesus have no business in heaven.
Christians worldwide have an estimated population of 2.4billion people
Islam records an estimate of 1.9 billion adherents, Hindu has an estimated 1.1bn adherents. The remaining world's population have their own beliefs which includes atheism.
If Jesus is the only way to God, what happens to those who don't believe in him? Hell? Well, the Bible suggests so.

2. There are a lot of complications and contradictory remarks in the Bible- a verse says don't drink, another says "Drink for your stomach sake", or "Do not drink wherein excess."
Malachi 3:10 a famous Bible verse on tithing speaks about bringing your tithe to the storehouse (church, maybe)
Deuteronomy 14:22-26 says otherwise, it says "you should drink and be merry with your tithe". I'm seriously beginning to doubt the credibility of the Bible. Maybe the translators' fault or God told writers different stories on the same issue. Read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John's account of Jesus and see real contradictions.

3. Does God answer prayers? Well, I'm not really sure about that. Someone might be suffering from malaria, the person takes drugs and still prays, the drugs work, but the person thanks God. Or a successful surgical operation, instead of thanking the doctor, they thank God. Some illnesses that would have been treated led to deaths because a certain congregation who were supposed to take the ill persons to the hospital, circled around praying. Faith without work isn't it still dead?
I remember when I had stomach ulcer, it was really terrible, I prayed and made several promises to God that if He took away the ulcer, I'd drink no more alcohol and will be more devout in worshipping Him. That didn't solve anything though, I stopped drinking and took to taking my drugs more seriously. Weeks later, I was well. I returned to drinking and after a few months, the ulcer resurfaced. That was when I realized I really needed to quit drinking. Prayers wouldn't have solved that issue.
I spent 80% of 2019 at home because of my misgivings about God's existence.
I really wish I could be convinced about God's existence because I'm not even happy to be away from Church because of the views of friends and family.

4. Children of God, or so called children of God tend to suffer more tribulations, hard times and desperate moments, a lot of them scream "Vanity upon Vanity" when secular people live in luxury or spend extravagantly. God tends to turn his back on those who worship Him especially when they need Him most.
The 1933 Holocaust and mass murder of Jews to the tone of 6m was a clear indication that God turns His eyes against His people
Repulsive comments are highly welcome

[/quoted

Even the Bible didn't say Christians will enjoy everyday of your life, God said he will give you strength when you sick, that means he didn't say you won't be sick, he said the righteous ones will suffer the most, but at the end of it they will laugh last, you don't understand Christianity, God heals not doctors, speak to you preacher,

And the bible said if you lack wisdom go on your knees and ask for wisdom, that is what you are meant to do

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 11:55am On Dec 31, 2019
themonk:

Can you exactly tell me in what context it makes sense that a book of justice would encourage humans to own their fellow humans as property?
While at it tell me in which context it makes sense for a loving God to send a particular tribe to war against the other tribe even when he created both.

Like I said before if these things aren't figurative, it makes zero sense. If your argument is that God changed in the New Testament and started behaving differently, how are you sure he won't change after rapture? I mean he could wake up one morning and say, I no longer love all my children just these particular ones, others can go to hell. The idea is I cannot trust a God who did these things to love me. Slavery and Tribal wars cannot be encouraged and justified in the same breath, if you know of any esoteric knowledge that explains this you are not sharing I would be happy to help.

There are pastors who kill, when I mean kill I mean spiritually. Just the same way prophets in the bible could send a bear to devour kids under the "Spirit of God". There were native doctors who do good things only like heal people. The idea is that these spirits are in man irrespective of religion and instead of being deep in religion be deep in spirituality.

Like I said, you have to go back and look at the context first; there is no need for me to start railing about it.

What translates as "slave" now is not necessarily what it pertained to back then. You have to look at the family and social structures of ancient Israel before jumping to conclusions.

The culture of a nomadic, agrarian, tribal nation in ancient times, fighting wars over water and resources, defending kingdoms and all that stuff cant be looked at with a 21st century eye. And plus, God seeks to maintain justice and order in our fallen world by taking a firm stand against evil. Sometimes wars are necessary though not ideal.

Dont you think that behaviour has a context? In times of old in Igboland, neighbouring clans would pray before going to war, slaughtering and capturing each other. Does it mean that Igbo deities are automatically evil in and of themselves, looking back? Does it stop us from naming ourselves with "Chi" and "Chukwu"?

God did not change in the New Testament. He simply showed us another aspect of His character. The message of love and reconciliation is just as important as that of retribution and punishment and besides Jesus still showed his righteous anger against wrongdoing. And the Jews were under Roman occupation and not even fighting anything anywhere!

Its okay.

I think Ive already answered the pastors/ native doctors stuff. The point is not that other religions are all evil or devoid of spirituality, the point is that our stance with can only be justified via Jesus' atoning sacrifice. Man is spirit and so always yearns to connect with God, but he cant! Unless He accepts the blood of Jesus to cover the stench of his sin.

If you keep reading the Bible without any technical guidance you will keep asking the same kind of shallow and wrong-footed questions youre asking here and thinking that they invalidate the message when they dont even scratch the surface.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by englishmart(m): 11:57am On Dec 31, 2019
phr0nesis:

You agree I'm right
Right about what?

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Mbitiouz69: 11:57am On Dec 31, 2019
Davash222:

God is Ominous.. No one can understand Him fully.

I understand Christianity
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 12:15pm On Dec 31, 2019
englishmart:
anybody can choose to embark on any journey they deem fit. It doesn't mean the journey is correct

It doesnt make it incorrect either.

The fact that people are born Hindus and may be disqualified from Heaven because they dont know Christ doesnt negate the truth of the Cross.

This is why people are so desperate to explain it to them.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 12:23pm On Dec 31, 2019
Liposure:
babe, u too much.am just reading all ur comment on this thread n am astonished at ur level of intelligence. OMG what manner of woman are you

Thanks for your compliments dear

Liposure:
honey, i understand your viewpoint on d issue of atheism and i totally reason with you. However, u must come 2 accept the fact dat not everybody would agree with u as its a free world.And religion is personal thing.

Lol yes, I know they dont agree with me I am just interested in the discussion. The guy asked us what we think so its not like we are forcing ourselves on him.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by phr0nesis(m): 12:32pm On Dec 31, 2019
englishmart:
Right about what?
That your mind is already made up
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Petersamuel8(m): 12:37pm On Dec 31, 2019
starmehigh:

Heaven's gate keeper
Welcome hell fire gate keeper
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by kumulus(m): 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2019
Liposure:
honey, i understand your viewpoint on d issue of atheism and i totally reason with you. However, u must come 2 accept the fact dat not everybody would agree with u as its a free world.And religion is personal thing.

Religion is not a personal thing although it's made to appears so, It's called the consensus dreaming.

- Lloyd
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by healthserve(m): 12:42pm On Dec 31, 2019
themonk:

Interesting school of thought with the God change speech but you're postired wrongly. It wasn't God who fought whatever wars that were fought but mankind. Mankind overtime learnt to behave better from better understanding. God was through time and process leading humankind into better frontiers. And if you advocate the fights Between Israel and the ancient Arab wars as God supportive of those wars, then it means your atheism is hinged upon revenge against God's action much more than a belief smbased system. Of which your indiscretions and mental swings doesn't necessitates the existence of God nor does it affect him in anyway. Its His world we are His creations. Its either you accept Him and abide by his tenets or get thrown into hell fire if you die in sin. No grammar here will qualify you to stand before Him let alone try to outwit/debate Him in any discussions. It's either proceed to the hall of saints or depart to Hell

Again its your choice and whatever your decision is, God can't be more powerful, remorseful, weaker.

And update your knowledge. Your arguments are placed on very very eatery and one-sided thesis.

We've had enough of people with improper scrptutual understanding roaming the world claiming to be intellectual but athiests

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DAVE5(m): 12:42pm On Dec 31, 2019
WebSurfer:

Of course i am

Ok, ciao
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by mrollyB: 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2019
Roycemadeit:

Yes, they choose.
And let me add no one is ever alienated from God
How ? If truely we have the chance to choose where we are born, then why would you choose this country to be born.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by mrollyB: 12:50pm On Dec 31, 2019
Roycemadeit:

Yes, it might have been consciously or it was determined by my actions in a pastlife.
Lol that you are unconscious of. Lol
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by themonk(m): 12:53pm On Dec 31, 2019
healthserve:

Interesting school of thought with the God change speech but you're postired wrongly. It wasn't God who fought whatever wars that were fought but mankind. Mankind overtime learnt to behave better from better understanding. God was through time and process leading humankind into better frontiers. And if you advocate the fights Between Israel and the ancient Arab wars as God supportive of those wars, then it means your atheism is hinged upon revenge against God's action much more than a belief smbased system. Of which your indiscretions and mental swings doesn't necessitates the existence of God nor does it affect him in anyway. Its His world we are His creations. Its either you accept Him and abide by his tenets or get thrown into hell fire if you die in sin. No grammar here will qualify you to stand before Him let alone try to outwit/debate Him in any discussions. It's either proceed to the hall of saints or depart to Hell

Again its your choice and whatever your decision is, God can't be more powerful, remorseful, weaker.

And update your knowledge. Your arguments are placed on very very eatery and one-sided thesis.

We've had enough of people with improper scrptutual understanding roaming the world claiming to be intellectual but athiests

I am not an Atheist. I didn’t bother to read other things you wrote because you make wild assumptions or you collectively lump everybody who questions your religion as atheists.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (30) (Reply)

Apostle Johnson Suleman Arrives Cyprus For A Crusade (Photos) / What Women Pass Through In The Hands Of Fake Prophets(pictured) / David Ibiyeome's Church To Become Largest Auditorium Worldwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.