Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. (3701 Views)

Which Country Dey Suppose Born You / Man Places Curse On His Girlfriend For Dumping Him, Shares Pic Of Them Kissing / My Girlfriend Slept With Our Last Born (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 4:37am On Jan 04, 2020
Why do yorubas like using this sentence. Do you know what it means to say this?

Why would anyone allow someone say this and walk away saying this to him or her.

I once destroyed (let me use that word) a stranger once for using this statement at a bus station, and bystanders said it was just a normal saying. What is so normal to tell someone If them born am well

I'm trying to stop my girlfriend who's a Yoruba girl from making this statement. She has never said to me and I've told her the day she does it I'm going to do something to her and I mean it. I've made her understand that she'll be drawing a very big line when she says that to me.

Yesterday she came over, I asked her how was the cold?
She said it was too much, I told her I bathed cold water and what about her.... She said "who born me? (Referring to herself).

This is wrong, I have heard preachers... So called man of God saying things about Enemies saying "they no born am well" on TV. (and the members answered amen)
I lost my respect for him at once, never went back .

I'm not from the West but I believe people need to control what they say, how they say it, and when. They curse people a lot on that side, how does someone survive by bringing out curses everyday from their belly?

Why would anyone accept that sentence from anyone except they didn't give birth to the person properly? Or are people from there suffering from a low self esteem. You should know the people you use this statement on, because if they aren't from your place i.e yorubaLand. They might react and put you in real danger.

Have you used this word before? Why do you use the word?

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Nobody: 4:48am On Jan 04, 2020
You have issues.

It is just a slang. Work on your self-esteem.

Don't let any word reflect as real issues.

16 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 4:55am On Jan 04, 2020
Vortex369:
You have issues.

It is just a slang. Work on your self-esteem.

Don't let any word reflect as real issues.

Yes, how is that a slang? That's the most derogatory word I've ever heard. You've taken it as something normal. Telling me that I have issues LoL

My self esteem will react to that sentence like kilode?

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by MJBOLT: 4:55am On Jan 04, 2020
continue destroying,mr destroyer till the day you will land in serious trouble.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 4:59am On Jan 04, 2020
MJBOLT:
continue destroying,mr destroyer till the day you will land in serious trouble.

The main reason for this thread is to advise people to know who and who they curse with this. Because they are going to get into trouble if that person is not from their region.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Ladylite: 5:02am On Jan 04, 2020
Charleys:

Only people who are bastards will allow someone say this an Escape saying this to him or her.

I once destroyed (let me use that word) a stranger once for saying this statement at a bus station, and bystanders said it was just a normal saying. What is so normal to tell someone If them born am well

I'm trying to stop my girlfriend who's a Yoruba girl from making this statement. She has never said to me and I've told her the day she does it I'm going to do something to her and I mean it. I've made her understand that she'll be drawing a very big line when she says that to me.

She said it was too much, I told her I bathed cold water and what about her.... She said "who born me? (Referring to herself).

Man what is wrong, I have heard preachers... So called men of God saying things about Enemies saying "they no born am well"

I don't believe that is a true man of God.

I'm not from the West but I believe people need to control what they say, how they say it, and when. They curse people a lot on that side, how does someone survive by bringing out curses everyday from their belly?

Why would anyone accept that sentence from anyone except they didn't give birth to the person properly? Or are people from there suffering from a low self esteem. You should know the people you se this statement on, because if they aren't from your place i.e yorubaLand. They might react and put you in real danger.

You are sensitive o

So between that sentence and someone calling you a liar which one should hurt more.

Pls do not make a moutain out of an anthill.

It's a not even an English language expression. It's an interpretation of a yoruba sentence that is used to dare people. So relax. Every dialect in the world has its ugly expressions.... But everyone in the world commonly adopts the English expressions of hate and disgust like the F word.

If because of such word you want to break up with your gf then go ahead.... There are better girls out there who speak with far more decency. Your innocent girlfriend was just being free with you and in your presence so don't make a big deal out of it.

Rather, if she respects you enough, you can teach her a higher way to express herself but if she doesn't then you are fvcked.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by MJBOLT: 5:05am On Jan 04, 2020
so if someone curses you,the next thing is to hit/fight them undecided i just hope you wont hit someone and the person collapse immediately.

Charleys:

The main reason for this thread is to advise people to know who and who they curse with this. Because they are going to get into trouble if that person is not from their region.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 5:14am On Jan 04, 2020
MJBOLT:
so if someone curses you,the next thing is to hit/fight them :- i just hope you wont hit someone and the person collapse immediately.

This only happened once. I've heard it so many times ever since and I wonder why people just let people say that and walk away as if it's nothing. I get triggered from hearing people say it to each other.

I've also put in place measures to make sure my girl doesn't use it on me. Because I noticed it might come to that point one day.

There are some curses people shouldn't accept especially when this same statement is coming from so called men of God using the same sentence.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by nlPoster: 5:27am On Jan 04, 2020
The women dating these NL males, dont they have relatives? How can some people feel so comfortable making open threats on their girlfriends in this manner?

And what on earth is wrong with women learning self defence!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by huptin(m): 6:19am On Jan 04, 2020
This OP is suffering from very low self esteem that borders on depression. 'If dem born you well' is not a curse! It is used to dare people.

The expression is used in most cases when an aggressor is trying to dare the weaker party to take a step that will warrant a punishment from the aggressor

It usually predates a fight.

7 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 11:42am On Jan 04, 2020
huptin:
This OP is suffering from very low self esteem that borders on depression. 'If dem born you well' is not a curse! It is used to dare people.

The expression is used in most cases when an aggressor is trying to dare the weaker party to take a step that will warrant a punishment from the aggressor

The question is why do they say it.

If anyone decides to date someone, then he should be ready to receive what's coming towards him.

So you accept the saying. A person with low self esteem will be the one who doesn't react to that saying

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 12:13pm On Jan 04, 2020
grin there's no explanation. This is very wrong.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by huptin(m): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2020
Charleys:

The question is why do they say it.

If anyone decides to date someone, then he should be ready to receive what's coming towards him.

So you accept the saying. A person with low self esteem will be the one who doesn't react to that saying

Its like saying in english, ' if you know you are not a bastard, cross this line''
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by uninspired07: 1:00pm On Jan 04, 2020
Me I don’t understand what OP is yapping about oo. It doesn’t mean anything special. OP, have you considered leaving that your Yoruba girlfriend & dating someone from your own tribe who won’t say “who born you well”?

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 1:04pm On Jan 04, 2020
huptin:

Its like saying in english, ' if you know you are not a bastard, cross this line''

Yes this is definitely true.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 9:49pm On Jan 15, 2020
Hi
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 1:26pm On Jan 20, 2020
Them no born am well grin
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 1:27pm On Jan 20, 2020
uninspired07:
Me I don’t understand what OP is yapping about oo. It doesn’t mean anything special. OP, have you considered leaving that your Yoruba girlfriend & dating someone from your own tribe who won’t say “who born you well”?

How does it not mean anything to you?
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by bolayei: 2:14pm On Jan 20, 2020
Oga you have anger issues. Is it okay to say "if you get forehead cross this line"..? Ti won ba bi e da quote me and make sure you leave address so I can come to be destroyed.

Don't you know most people speak in English the way they speak their language? As in word for word. I know a Yoruba guy that say pls help me kill the light instead of please turn the light off.

Don't be so serious you already have a serious govt

I hope this is not another tribal thread. I will not advice any woman to be with you as you are dangerous
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 2:23pm On Jan 20, 2020
bolayei:
Oga you have anger issues. Is it okay to say "if you get forehead cross this line"..? Ti won ba bi e da quote me and make sure you leave address so I can come to be destroyed.

Don't you know most people speak in English the way they speak their language? As in word for word. I know a Yoruba guy that say pls help me kill the light instead of please turn the light off.

Don't be so serious you already have a serious govt

I hope this is not another tribal thread. I will not advice any woman to be with you as you are dangerous

If them born me well is that what you're saying?
Why wouldn't anyone take it seriously.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by bolayei: 2:26pm On Jan 20, 2020
That's why girls like dating older men. Older men have gone through phases in life and are calmer and treat women with more love and patience and spoil them with gifts and money coupled with maturity. Please if that your girl dare you leave her and pass me her number i have a single friend that is looking for a girl to spoil and enjoy his trips round the world with.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by GeneralPula: 2:27pm On Jan 20, 2020
[s]
Charleys:

Why would anyone allow someone say this and walk away saying this to him or her.

I once destroyed (let me use that word) a stranger once for using this statement at a bus station, and bystanders said it was just a normal saying. What is so normal to tell someone If them born am well

This is wrong, I have heard preachers... So called man of God saying things about Enemies saying "they no born am well" on TV. (and the members answered amen)
I lost my respect for him at once, never went back .

Why would anyone accept that sentence from anyone except they didn't give birth to the person properly? Or are people from there suffering from a low self esteem. You should know the people you use this statement on, because if they aren't from your place i.e yorubaLand. They might react and put you in real danger.

[/s]
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by bolayei: 2:45pm On Jan 20, 2020
Charleys:

If them born me well is that what you're saying?
Why wouldn't anyone take it seriously.

It's a saying as long as its not confrontational then it's nothing to take seriously. If it's confrontation then it's a different ball game.

If one decides to take how we communicate seriously back home then na to dey fight always.

You strike me as a man that doesn't take nonsense but just be calm in your approach. I used to get vexed when people make some statements too but I realised its just our figure of speech. I grew up in surulere lagos off adeniran ogunsanya and back then people from shitta, aguda, ijesha, lawanson which is still in surulere will casually insult a whole generation. I got into a lot of fights till I realise that we all have different upbringing and environment matters alot. So take a chill pill if your girl haven't used it till now she will most likely not use it.

So calm down and enjoy life and stay focused. If you are patterned woman no go make you vex. First time someone called me dick head in London police arrest me because I burst bottle for him head only to realise its a normal saying since I live in a village where people behave differently
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 3:41pm On Jan 20, 2020
bolayei:

It's a saying as long as its not confrontational then it's nothing to take seriously. If it's confrontation then it's a different ball game.

If one decides to take how we communicate seriously back home then na to dey fight always.

You strike me as a man that doesn't take nonsense but just be calm in your approach. I used to get vexed when people make some statements too but I realised its just our figure of speech. I grew up in surulere lagos off adeniran ogunsanya and back then people from shitta, aguda, ijesha, lawanson which is still in surulere will casually insult a whole generation. I got into a lot of fights till I realise that we all have different upbringing and environment matters alot. So take a chill pill if your girl haven't used it till now she will most likely not use it.

So calm down and enjoy life and stay focused. If you are patterned woman no go make you vex. First time someone called me dick head in London police arrest me because I burst bottle for him head only to realise its a normal saying since I live in a village where people behave differently

Finally you don really explain this thing to me regardless of tribe. I understand you very well now.

Thanks a lot. Maybe I'm taking it too far with this thing.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by IceColdVeins(m): 5:16pm On Jan 20, 2020
huptin:

Dear OP,

I believe the above says it all, you've been schooled on this already...Its just tantamount to saying 'If you are man enough' or 'If you are a true son of your father'....So please you may now stop all these higgledy piggledy vibes of yours, its making you seem like a paranoia patient already.
Charleys:

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by IamPlato(m): 5:48pm On Jan 20, 2020
Charleys:

If Them Born You Well come Talk For My Front

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by ABCthings: 6:00pm On Jan 20, 2020
I don't normally use this slang but "If dey my born you well hug transformer"

There are somethings you just learn to ignore.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Gofwane(m): 6:21pm On Jan 20, 2020
So there is this fulani friend of mine that jokingly pointed a loaded gun at his yorugba friend who responded with "them no born you well " oboyyeh, like a movie, I swear' the fulani man blew his friend's hand off.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 12:29am On Feb 04, 2020
Gofwane:
So there is this fulani friend of mine that jokingly pointed a loaded gun at his yorugba friend who responded with "them no born you well " oboyyeh, like a movie, I swear' the fulani man blew his friend's hand off.

Daaaammmnn.! ! And these guys think it's a joke to say it to anyone they meet.
Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by cooldipo(m): 4:22am On Feb 04, 2020
I see you in prsion gown very soon if you dont learn to walk away from every appearance of trouble.

You will live a life of regret if you ever end up there. You are not what anyone says, you are your action and reaction, dont prove them right by stooping low to their level. Be guided!

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Curse; if them born you well. by Charleys: 7:18am On Feb 04, 2020
nlPoster:
The women dating these NL males, dont they have relatives? How can some people feel so comfortable making open threats on their girlfriends in this manner?

And what on earth is wrong with women learning self defence!!!!!!!!

It is not a threat, it's called preventive measures.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Rejects His Kids Because Of The Color Of Their Eyes In Ilorin (photos / Visible Things Some Guys Usually Does That Scares The Females Away!!! / Which Is More Important, The Marriage Proposal Or The Marriage Proper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.