Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion (38464 Views)

Daily Excerpts From Jehovah Witnesses Old Books With Russellrutherfo / Are Jehovah Witnesses Right About Their Belief Against Blood Transfusion? / Jehovah's Witness Refused Blood Transfusion For His Pregnant Wife Till She Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 8:20am On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:

In other climes, minors (usually younger than 17 or so) cannot make that decision to refuse blood, and they're not taken to any judge to decide any nonsense. Stop speaking what you do not know. Infact, the law is designed in such a way the child is only allowed to accept treatment and not refuse it.
In other climes, they have procedures in place in hospitals for parents that refuse emergency treatment including blood transfusion for their children. The courts long gave the powers to professionals to make that decision for the child and all necessary paper work is done and dusted within a few minutes.
They understand the need to avoid delays in emergency situations. That's why I even blamed the hospital for wasting so much time, and for not having such procedures in place in the first instance.
As I mentioned earlier, I have no issues with JWs exercising their rights to refuse any form of treatment. Afterall you're not stupid and you are entitled to your own beliefs and preferences. However in children, you simply have no rights legally to makes such a decision of refusing life saving treatment for them
As per your HLC going around to educate hospital staff on alternatives to blood transfusion, they can do better. It's better you go to medical schools worldwide and change their curriculum instead of telling hospital staff to do what hasn't been proscribed. (That's a sure way to lose your licence by withholding blood transfusion in a child that needs it).
If your teachings are not accepted by competent professional peers in the field, then kindly spare us the theatrics.
Even in the USA, the laws of each State are different, what obtains in State of A" maybe different from State B".
The Judge is in a position to determine whether or not to allow a Minor's testimony, on a case by case basis. Every minor do not possess the same capacity for understanding or conviction about any matter.
JWs usually respect the outcome of Court judgements.
Hardly will you find a medical journal that has never published research findings about bloodless medical procedures and breakthroughs in that aspect.
Many medical professionals are already aware of these advances, there is positive progress, more will come....
The HLC have done well to promote cordial relationship and better understanding of JW positions on alternatives to bloodless medical treatment.
Both sides are very interested & committed to better, improved healthcare for patients who are Jehovah's witnesses.
JWs respect & appreciate the medical professionals for their understanding and cooperation.
God bless.
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:

By people having faith, you're not talking of JW are you? Your faith is nothing to be desired my dear. It leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.
I believe in humanity, I believe in the sanctity of life. I have many things I truthfully believe in.
Again, regarding Serena Williams, there was never any transfusion saga. Seun created a thread based on assumptions and wondered if it was because of blood transfusion as a JW that Serena had issues after childbirth. I made known to him and yourself that forming blood clots in the lungs and its treatment had nothing to do with transfusion, and Serena's beliefs as a JW. Serena never needed blood, so there is no saga as per blood transfusion, no matter how much you want to believe that narrative

Perhaps you should watch this video on her birth complications and it will explain further there was never any blood transfusion issue.
There's another video where you hear her talk personally about her ordeals (on HBO, YouTube) but sadly I cannot access that video anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVuDXJtUgQ

Regarding our beliefs that's not desirable to humans, you're 100% correct. John 3:19

Because we are NO PART of the world {John 17:14-16} so our beliefs are totally strange to any human society, all of you are carrying about the old personality {Romans 6:6, Ephesians 422, Colossians 3:9} whereas Jehovah's Witnesses have also lived with it before.

So now that we are striving vigorous to put on the new personality that was created in God's image {Luke 13:24 compared to Ephesians 4:24, Colossians 3:10} any right thinking individual shouldn't except such teachings that's powerful enough to CHANGE people from what is common to something unique to be DESIRABLE! Mark 3:21, John 10:20 compared to Act 24:26

But it will definitely yield fine fruits! Matthew 5:14-16
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by eyinjuege: 8:33am On Jan 21, 2020
Janosky:

Even in the USA, the laws of each State are different, what obtains in State of A" maybe different from State B".
The Judge is in a position to determine whether or not to allow a Minor's testimony, on a case by case basis. Every minor do not possess the same capacity for understanding or conviction about any matter.
JWs usually respect the outcome of Court judgements.

Hardly will you find a medical journal that has never published research findings about bloodless medical procedures and breakthroughs in that aspect.
Many medical professionals are already aware of these advances, there is positive progress, more will come....
The HLC have done well to promote cordial relationship and better understanding of JW positions on alternatives to bloodless medical treatment.
Both sides are very interested & committed to better, improved healthcare for patients who are Jehovah's witnesses.
JWs respect & appreciate the medical professionals for their understanding and cooperation.
God bless.

While laws in USA differs from state to state, there are some non negotiable instances where it is a standard, and I believe this is one of such. No state will allow you jeopardise a child's life. Please kindly do a bit of more research, and let us know which state has a different approach in the care of their children. Do not assume anything as this is a very serious matter. Do not just wave it away and make hasty generalisations as though we're not talking of human lives here.
Passing down wrong information is far worse than passing no information at all.
I really have no problems with JW and their beliefs. I may not agree with them, but I completely understand and respect our differences.
However, in the case of children, parents don't have the absolute right on the life or death of their children. Have you read this article yet?
https://adc.bmj.com/content/90/7/715
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by eyinjuege: 8:36am On Jan 21, 2020
Maximus69:

Regarding our beliefs that's not desirable to humans, you're 100% correct. John 3:19

Because we are NO PART of the world {John 17:14-16} so our beliefs are totally strange to any human society, all of you are carrying about the old personality {Romans 6:6, Ephesians 422, Colossians 3:9} whereas Jehovah's Witnesses have also lived with it before.

So now that we are striving vigorous to put on the new personality that was created in God's image {Luke 13:24 compared to Ephesians 4:24, Colossians 3:10} any right thinking individual shouldn't except such teachings that's powerful enough to CHANGE people from what is common to something unique to be DESIRABLE! Mark 3:21, John 10:20 compared to Act 24:26

But it will definitely yield fine fruits! Matthew 5:14-16

You are quoting bible verses for me, and yet also trying to convince me on the advancement of science and how non blood products are superior and have an advantage over blood products.
Odiegwu
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:

While laws in USA differs from state to state, there are some non negotiable instances where it is a standard, and I believe this is one of such. No state will allow you jeopardise a child's life. Please kindly do a bit of more research, and let us know which state has a different approach in the care of their children. Do not assume anything as this is a very serious matter. Do not just wave it away and make hasty generalisations as though we're not talking of human lives here.
Passing down wrong information is far worse than passing no information at all.
I really have no problems with JW and their beliefs. I may not agree with them, but I completely understand and respect our differences.
However, in the case of children, parents don't have the absolute right on the life or death of their children. Have you read this article yet?
https://adc.bmj.com/content/90/7/715

Pls, don't get me wrong.
I have never passed any wrong info on this thread.
Note, I have already said "JWs usually respect the outcomes of court judgments" whether or not it is in our (JW) favor.
That your link didn't open,not accessible now.

Pls see this:

https://forum.ashrm.org/2018/03/29/risks-and-legal-issues-in-caring-for-minor-jehovahs-witness-patients/

Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:

You are quoting bible verses for me, and yet also trying to convince me on the advancement of science and how non blood products are superior and have an advantage over blood products.
Odiegwu
You see what i mean! wink

Your God has mouth but it's speechless, it has ears but can't hear, eyes but can't see! Psalms 115:4-8

My own God is the Creator, he is not teaching us science but when he speaks of any topic in SCIENCE, no matter how diligent those in that field study it or make research, they'll come back to bow before the WISDOM found in the words of my own God! Isaiah 55:9-11
That's why his son gave us the command to go and knock on anybody's doors with confidence, {Matthew 10:11-13, 28:19-20} because the principles found in the words of our God surpasses all human philosophy and wisdom! Ephesians 3:19

So don't be surprised that i'm quoting God's word yet telling you that scientists have come to know that they can offer better services regarding health if they follow the wise counsels found in the Bible! 2Timothy 3:16-17 smiley
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 10:09am On Jan 21, 2020
Janosky:

Pls, don't get me wrong.
Note, I have already said "JWs usually respect the outcomes of court judgments" whether or not it is in our (JW) favor.

Pls see this:

https://forum.ashrm.org/2018/03/29/risks-and-legal-issues-in-caring-for-minor-jehovahs-witness-patients/

Pls see this:

SPORTS
TECHNOLOGY
UNCATEGORIZED
ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT (ERM) •
LEGAL & REGULATORY •
PATIENT SAFETY/CLINICAL CARE
Risks and Legal Issues in Caring for Minor
Jehovah’s Witness Patients
March 29, 201810 Min Read
A fundamental right of modern healthcare is
that a patient can refuse medical treatment
(1). In most circumstances, this extends to a
parent’s right to refuse treatment for their
minor child (2). When the rationale for
refusal is religion, and especially when the
treatment being refused is potentially
lifesaving, the situation becomes more
complex. This may arise when working with
families from the Jehovah’s Witness (JW)
community, a group that largely rejects
whole blood products, including transfusion.
This article provides background and
practical tips for risk managers who may be
asked to consult on cases involving the
refusal of blood for minor patients from the
JW community.
Background
There are an estimated 8.3 million JW in the
world, primarily in the United States (1.2
million), Mexico (859,000) and Brazil
(829,000) (3,4). The majority of JW interpret
the Bible as prohibiting receiving whole
blood products (5). The JW community
actively instills the importance of this
prohibition, encouraging members to carry
“blood refusal cards” and execute Advance
Directives detailing their wishes regarding
blood. This extends to their children who are
aware of the prohibition (6,7). JW who
accept blood may be subject to
repercussions within their community, which
reportedly can include shunning (cool.
Given the inherent challenges in obtaining
bloodless care, the JW community has
become sophisticated in healthcare matters.
JW Hospital Liaison Committees (HLCs)
operate in 110 countries around the world,
including 1,700 chapters within the United
States (9). HLCs, comprised of male elders,
aid patients and families by providing
spiritual and practical assistance in the
hospital, as well as aiding healthcare
providers. In this role, they may offer
literature on bloodless techniques, assist
with consulting providers experienced in
bloodless care or help with arranging
transfer to other facilities. HLCs also provide
educational lectures to providers and staff
on working with JW families.
Legal Landscape
Minors ( i.e. , individuals under the state-
specific age of consent, usually 18)
generally cannot provide consent for or
refuse medical treatment. States vary on
exceptions to this rule ( e.g. , many states
carve out specific types of care that minors
may consent to on their own—such as
sexually transmitted infection treatment)
(10). In the majority of cases, however, a
parent must provide consent or refusal.
This principle is not absolute, as is the case
when a JW parent refuses blood for their
minor child. While the U.S. Constitution
protects the freedom to practice religion,
courts have not interpreted that freedom to
include the right to refuse lifesaving
treatment for a child on the basis of that
religion (11). Instead, courts confronted with
the issue have upheld a hospital’s ability to
provide blood even against a parent’s
wishes (11). Some states even have specific
laws that authorize a court to order
treatment under certain circumstances,
though such laws are not required since a
court can make an independent
determination based on the state’s inherent
interest in protecting the child (11,12,13).
Exception for Mature Minor
There is one notable exception for cases that
involve adolescents. In a minority of states,
a “mature minor” doctrine allows minors
who demonstrate a requisite level of
maturity the right to consent for, and
potentially refuse, treatment (14). While 17
states recognize the doctrine to varying
degrees and in different settings, only a
handful of the states have allowed an
adolescent to refuse live-saving treatment
(14). Outcomes vary based on state-specific
legal precedent and the facts ( e.g. ,
genuineness of the religious belief, whether
treatment would be curative) (15). In one of
the most well-known recent cases, a 14-
year-old JW in Washington State was
allowed to refuse blood products, ultimately
leading to his death, despite the fact that
blood transfusions likely would have saved
his life (16).
In practice, when blood is emergently
needed to save a minor’s life, hospitals
likely will provide the blood and document it
in the patient’s medical record. After the
emergency ends or in non-emergent or
chronic condition situations, hospitals
typically seek a court order to provide blood
products. The court will generally hold a
hearing, allowing the hospital and the parent
and/or minor to explain their positions. The
judge then makes a determination, issued
via court order, which should be entered
into the patient’s medical record.
Practical Tips
Risk managers should consider the following
when working on these challenging cases:
Blood refusal by JW not a given. Not all
JW ascribe to the blood prohibition, so
healthcare providers should not assume a
self-identified JW will refuse blood (17). It
is important to discuss the need for blood
privately with both the parent and the
patient (if appropriate), as the presence of
other JW (including close family members
and HLC members) may make the parent
or patient feel pressured to refuse.
Nontraditional consent . Although rare,
some adult JW have reportedly appointed
a non-JW to provide consent on their
behalf (18). Similarly, a JW parent may
be amenable to temporarily delegating
another individual the power to consent
for their child’s transfusion.
Transfer or collaboration considerations.
Ensure that the care team has considered
whether collaboration with or transfer to
another facility with more experience in
bloodless techniques is an option. The
HLC, if involved in care, can be a valuable
resource in arranging for consultation or
coordinating transfer.
Continual and critical assessment.
Providing blood is often done as a matter
of course based on hospital protocol or
when laboratory values reach a certain
threshold. In cases involving a JW, the
care team should continually and
critically assess the patient’s condition
and options to determine whether
withholding blood or alternate options
might be medically appropriate.
Patient and family inclusion. Healthcare
providers may discount the importance of
communicating with the patient and the
family since, in the end, the hospital will
often be able to provide blood. Despite
this, risk managers should ensure that, at
every hospitalization, the patient and
family are: (A) given the opportunity for
their wishes to be heard, (B) given a clear
explanation of the hospital’s position and
any obligations that the hospital has
under law or policy and (C) informed of
and kept updated on the hospital’s
actions ( g. , seeking a court order).
Child protection considerations. The
majority of states specifically exempt
treatment refusal on religious grounds
from the definition of child neglect. If this
is true in your state, child protection
authorities should not be contacted based
solely on a JW parent’s refusal of blood
(12).
Court preparation . If your hospital does
seek a court order:
Work with the court and/or hospital
legal counsel to prepare. Beyond
assistance with forms and procedures,
ask the following: will the court
accept testimony from any member of
the care team ( g. , social work, case
management) or does it require the
attending physician? Will the court
accept a written statement or
telephone testimony or is in-person
testimony required?
Generally, the court order will relate
only to the provision of blood
products and the parent will retain all
other parental rights, including the
right to consent for (or refuse) other
types of treatment. When court is
involved, a parent sometimes
mistakenly believes that their parental
rights are broadly being taken away, a
distressing misconception.
If given the opportunity to propose
language for the court order, draft one
that authorizes blood products
throughout the admission or condition
( g. , long-term treatment for leukemia)
to prevent return trips to court.
Conclusion
Care teams should work closely with
patients and families from the JW
community to ensure that, while the hospital
may need to provide blood with or without
court proceedings, it can be handled in a
positive manner. Risk managers should
encourage the entire care team to approach
these cases with an open mind and
transparency, with a focus on clearly
communicating the hospital’s obligations
and plans while minimizing the patient’s or
family’s fears of repercussions (whether
from the JW community, the hospital, or the
court/legal system).
References
1. Cruzan v. Director, Missouri Dep’t of
Health, 497 US 261 (1990).
2. We use “parent” throughout as
shorthand for parent(s) or guardian(s)
3. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of
New York, Inc. (2016) 2017 yearbook
of Jehovah’s Witnesses: 2016 grand
totals. Retrieved from https://
www.jw.org/en/publications/
books/2017-yearbook/2016-grand-
totals/
4. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of
New York, Inc. (2016) 2017 yearbook
of Jehovah’s Witnesses: 2016 service
year report of Jehovah’s Witnesses
worldwide. Retrieved from https://
www.jw.org/en/publications/
books/2017-yearbook/jehovahs-
witnesses-service-report-2016/
5. For example, Genesis 9:4: “Only flesh
with its soul—its blood—you must not
eat”; Leviticus 17:14: “You must not
eat the blood of any sort of flesh,
because the soul of every sort of flesh
is its blood. Anyone eating it will be
cut off”; Acts 15:20: “Abstain . . . from
blood.” See JW.org, (n.d.) What does
the Bible say about blood
transfusions? Retrieved from https://
www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/
questions/bible-about-blood-
transfusion/
. The official JW stance is that while
whole blood products are prohibited, it
is up to the individual to determine
whether they will accept blood
fractions ( g. , gamma globulin,
interleukins)—under the theory that “at
some point fractions that have been
extracted from blood [may] cease to
represent the life of the creature from
which the blood was taken.” Use of
certain blood techniques ( e.g. ,
hemodilution, cell salvage) is also up
to the individual’s determination.
JW.org, Keep yourself in God’s love,
appendix: blood fractions and surgical
procedures. Retrieved from https://
wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-
e/1102008086
6. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of
New York, Inc. (2005) Could your
child make a mature decision? Our
kingdom ministry, 48(12). Retrieved
from https://www.scribd.com/
document/303664572/Watchtower-
Kingdom-Ministry-2005-issues
7. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of
New York, Inc. (2015) She stuck to
her beliefs. Awake! Retrieved from
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-
e/102015286
8. Smith S. (2016) Jehovah’s Witnesses
incapable of free, informed refusal of
blood, former adherent says. CBC
News (Montreal). Retrieved from
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/
montreal/jehovah-s-witnesses-
incapable-of-free-informed-refusal-of-
blood-former-adherent-
says-1.3829778
9. org (2012) Hospital liaison
committees for Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Retrieved from https://www.jw.org/
en/medical-library/strategies-
downloads/hospital-liaison-
committees-jehovahs-witnesses/
10. Guttmacher Institute (2018) An
overview of minors’ consent law.
Retrieved from https://
www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/
explore/overview-minors-consent-law
11. Woolley, S. (2005) Children of
Jehovah’s Witnesses and adolescent
Jehovah’s Witnesses: what are their
rights? Archives of Disease in
Childhood 90(7), 715–719.
doi:10.1136/adc.2004.067843
12. Sandstrom A. (2016) Most states
allow religious exemptions from child
abuse and neglect laws. Retrieved
from http://www.pewresearch.org/
fact-tank/2016/08/12/most-states-
allow-religious-exemptions-from-
child-abuse-and-neglect-laws/
13. National District Attorneys
Association (2015) Religious
exemptions to child neglect. Retrieved
from http://www.ndaa.org/
pdf/2-11-2015%20Religious%
20Exemptions%20to%20Child%
20Neglect.pdf
14. Coleman D.L., & Rosoff P.M. (2013)
The legal authority of mature minors
to consent to general medical
treatment. Pediatrics 131(4), 786-793.
doi:10.1542/peds.2012-2470
15. Blake V. (2012) Minors’ refusal of life-
saving therapies. AMA Journal of
Ethics: Virtual Mentor 14(10)
792-796. doi:10.1001/
virtualmentor.2012.14.10.hlaw1-1210
16. Raftery I. (2015) When a 14-year-old
chooses to die because of religion,
can anyone stop him? KUOW News
and Information. Retrieved from
http://kuow.org/post/when-14-year-
old-chooses-die-because-religion-
can-anyone-stop-him
17. See, for example, the Advocates for
Jehovah’s Witness Reform on Blood
(AJWRB), a group of dissident JW
who do not ascribe to the blood
prohibition.
18. Karkowsky C.E. (2013) How I treat
patients who refuse blood
transfusions. Slate. Retrieved from
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_
and_science/medical_
examiner/2013/06/jehovah_s_
witness_blood_transfusions_how_a_
doctor_works_around_doctrine.html
Denise Winiarski, JD, CPHRM, Associate
General Counsel at the University of
Michigan, advises Michigan Medicine, the
University of Michigan’s academic medical
center, on risk management and litigation
issues.
Emily Klatt, JD, is Associate General Counsel
at the University of Michigan, advising
Michigan Medicine on regulatory matters.
Amir Kazerouninia, MD, PhD is a graduate of
the University of Michigan Medical School
and an internal medicine/pediatrics resident
at Baylor College of Medicine / Texas
Children’s Hospital""
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by eyinjuege: 10:13am On Jan 21, 2020
Maximus69:

They just want to argue to prove God's people wrong when they don't even have 1% of the knowledge JEHOVAH has given his people!

They don't know why their religious leaders are labeling us as CULT GROUP.
After seeing that Jehovah's Witnesses are ahead when it comes to wisdom in all Fields, be it ©Organization
©Education
©Health
©Law
©Morals
©Security
©Orderliness
©Cleanliness
©Science
©Efficacious Scriptural counsels
©QUALITATIVE WAR STRATEGIES and so on
And yet we are neither students in any of those field but only concentrate on studying the scriptures. Their religious leaders are baffled!

Maximus69
You sound very delusional.
I would be interested on how you arrived at the conclusion that JW are ahead in all those things you've listed. It would be quite interesting to note.
There is a stage where you allow dogmas eat so deep into your very essence, you start behaving/speaking irrationally. You perhaps have reached that stage?
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by eyinjuege: 10:27am On Jan 21, 2020
Janosky:

Pls, don't get me wrong.

Pls see this:

Yes, I have seen the particular article. Can you tell me what you have understood by this article? Because it further buttresses my point with regards to minors. Or is it the "mature" minors that is the confusion here? The law is set up in such a way that the mature minors can accept treatment but it becomes herculean ro refuse treatment
While I read about the 14 year old who refused treatment with blood and later on died, did you also read about hospitals providing blood in emergency situations for these children and once the patient is stable they can then start going to court on future transfusion orders?
For anaemic patients with chronic conditions, blood transfusion might not necessarily make the difference in their case. They have the value of time to drag out court cases, but not emergencies in children

Please read this article from their medical association in another Western country with regards to the law concerning minors. They also use the mature minor arguments- Gillick competency but if you study it well, you will see that the law is set up to support accepting treatment and not refusing it.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/consent/consent-tool-kit/7-children-and-young-people
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by eyinjuege: 10:39am On Jan 21, 2020
Janosky
An extract from the link I posted :

"In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, refusal of treatment by competent young people under the age of 18 is not necessarily binding upon doctors since the courts have ruled that consent from people with parental responsibility, or a court, still allows doctors to provide treatment.

Where a competent young person refuses treatment, the harm caused by violating a young person’s choice must be balanced against the harm caused by failing to treat. In these cases the courts have said that children and young people have a right to consent to what is being proposed, but not to refuse it if this would put their health in serious jeopardy.

In Scotland, it is likely that neither parents nor the courts are entitled to override a competent young patient’s decision, although this matter cannot be considered settled.

If a competent young person refuses treatment, it would be advisable to seek legal advice and it may be necessary to take the matter to court. (See also Card 1 list: ‘0-18 years’, ‘Children’, ‘Consent’, ‘DoH’, ‘MET’, ‘MDU’, ‘MPS’.) "
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:

Maximus69
You sound very delusional.
I would be interested on how you arrived at the conclusion that JW are ahead in all those things you've listed. It would be quite interesting to note.
There is a stage where you allow dogmas eat so deep into your very essence, you start behaving/speaking irrationally. You perhaps have reached that stage?

Just compare that statement to what a Roman governor called FESTUS said to Apostle Paul! @ Act 26:24 also read John 10:20

Well i suppose it's the same thing that happened to those two persons that's presently affecting Maximus! smiley

All you just need to do is prove me wrong! smiley
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 6:52pm On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:
Janosky
An extract from the link I posted :

"In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, refusal of treatment by competent young people under the age of 18 is not necessarily binding upon doctors since the courts have ruled that consent from people with parental responsibility, or a court, still allows doctors to provide treatment.

Where a competent young person refuses treatment, the harm caused by violating a young person’s choice must be balanced against the harm caused by failing to treat. In these cases the courts have said that children and young people have a right to consent to what is being proposed, but not to refuse it if this would put their health in serious jeopardy.

In Scotland, it is likely that neither parents nor the courts are entitled to override a competent
young patient’s decision, although this matter cannot be considered settled.

If a competent young person refuses treatment, it would be advisable to seek legal advice and it may be necessary to take the matter to court. (See also Card 1 list: ‘0-18 years’, ‘Children’, ‘Consent’, ‘DoH’, ‘MET’, ‘MDU’, ‘MPS’.) "

The info above is clearly understood.
Thanks for sharing.
God bless.
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 8:07pm On Jan 21, 2020
eyinjuege:

Yes, I have seen the particular article. Can you tell me what you have understood by this article? Because it further buttresses my point with regards to minors. Or is it the "mature" minors that is the confusion here? The law is set up in such a way that the mature minors can accept treatment but it becomes herculean ro refuse treatment
While I read about the 14 year old who refused treatment with blood and later on died, did you also read about hospitals providing blood in emergency situations for these children and once the patient is stable they can then start going to court on future transfusion orders?
For anaemic patients with chronic conditions, blood transfusion might not necessarily make the difference in their case. They have the value of time to drag out court cases, but not emergencies in children

Please read this article from their medical association in another Western country with regards to the law concerning minors. They also use the mature minor arguments- Gillick competency but if you study it well, you will see that the law is set up to support accepting treatment and not refusing it.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/consent/consent-tool-kit/7-children-and-young-people
I read your link.... it's well understood.
In the situation Where a mature minor firmly insists to refuse blood transfusions, the Court may or may not accede to the patients request.
(These Laws on Minor's Rights are slightly different in USA,England and Scotland).
The trial Judge would pass a verdict after thorough assessment of all the factors peculiar to that particular case.
From the link I shared,this points below highlight what the article explained...
(A)
Minors ( i.e. , individuals under the state-
specific age of consent, usually 18)
generally cannot provide consent for or
refuse medical treatment. States vary on
exceptions to this rule ( e.g. , many states
carve out specific types of care that minors
may consent to on their own—such as
sexually transmitted infection treatment).
(B)
(10). In the majority of cases, however, a
parent must provide consent or refusal.
This principle is not absolute, as is the case
when a JW parent refuses blood for their
minor child. While the U.S. Constitution
protects the freedom to practice religion,
courts have not interpreted that freedom to
include the right to refuse lifesaving
treatment for a child on the basis of that
religion (11). Instead, courts confronted with
the issue have upheld a hospital’s ability to
provide blood even against a parent’s
wishes (11).
(**C)
Some states even have specific
laws that authorize a court to order
treatment under certain circumstances,
though such laws are not required since a
court can make an independent
determination based on the state’s inherent
interest in protecting the child (11,12,13).
(**D).
Exception for Mature Minor
There is one notable exception for cases that
involve adolescents. In a minority of states,
a “mature minor” doctrine allows minors
who demonstrate a requisite level of
maturity the right to consent for, and
potentially refuse, treatment (14). While 17
states recognize the doctrine to varying
degrees and in different settings, only a
handful of the states have allowed an
adolescent to refuse live-saving treatment
(14). Outcomes vary based on state-specific
legal precedent and the facts ( e.g. ,
genuineness of the religious belief, whether
treatment would be curative)"

(****E)
Transfer or collaboration considerations.
Ensure that the care team has considered
whether collaboration with or transfer to
another facility with more experience in
bloodless techniques is an option.
The
HLC, if involved in care, can be a valuable
resource in arranging for consultation or
coordinating transfer.
Continual and critical assessment.
In cases involving a JW, the
care team should continually and
critically assess the patient’s condition
and options to determine whether
withholding blood or alternate options
might be medically appropriate."

Our HLC is ever willing to collaborate with medical professionals and we sincerely appreciate the expertise of the medical teams who respond to our emergencies to save lives with utmost regard for our bible based beliefs.
Dalu rinne. Eshe gaan. Wadooo. Urhuese.
God bless.
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 10:22am On Jan 22, 2020
madridsta007:

Jehovah's Witnesses do not call themselves Christians.
They call themselves, Jehovah's Witness.
Dumb post.
Jesus Christ himself is a Jehovah's witness. Isaiah 42:10-12. Rev 3:5,12-14. Acts3:13. John20:17.
Jehovah's witnesses are Christians,we believe in Jesus Christ and his Father, Jehovah God. John 14:1. John17:3. Matt10:32-33.
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 10:39am On Jan 22, 2020
Seun:
This is highly commendable. I hope they don't stop at rescuing babies. Children of all ages in similar circumstances should be rescued. We cannot let children die in the name of religion. A child’s right to live is more important than her parents‘ right to impose their religious beliefs on her.

If you have a similar case to report, you can call the Lagos State Office of the Public Defender on this toll-free number: 07080601080 or mail opdlagos@yahoo.com.

The same 'blood transfusion live saving ' fable have brought death and misery to tens of thousands of children and adults all over the globe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/
transfusions-kill-patients-say-
doctors-1070012.html

BBC News Navigation
Sections
What is the contaminated blood scandal?
By Nick Triggle
Health correspondent
14 June 2019
Related Topics
UK contaminated blood inquiry
Image copyright PA
The infection of up to 30,000 people with
contaminated blood has been called the
biggest treatment disaster in NHS history.
Thousands have died.
A public inquiry is now under way - but
what is already known about the scandal?
Who was affected?
People with haemophilia and other bleeding
disorders were given blood infected with HIV
and hepatitis viruses, during the 1970s and
1980s.
It was the result of a new treatment intended
to make their lives better. A clotting agent
called Factor VIII was introduced to help
their blood clot.
Before this, patients faced lengthy stays in
hospital to have transfusions, even for minor
injuries.
People who had blood transfusions after an
operation, or childbirth, are also thought to
have been exposed.
About 5,000 people are believed to have
been infected - but some estimates put the
number at 30,000. Nearly 3,000 people have
died.
The public inquiry has heard the stories of
some of those affected.
One of the first to take the stand was Derek
Martindale, who has haemophilia . He was
when he was diagnosed with HIV and given
a year to live, in 1985. He survived but his
brother - who was also infected with HIV -
did not.
How did it happen?
The UK was struggling to keep up with
demand for the Factor VIII blood clotting
treatment, so supplies began to be imported
from the US.
But much of the human blood plasma used
to make it came from donors such as prison
inmates and drug-users, who sold their
blood.
These groups were at higher risk of blood-
borne viruses.
However, at the time, HIV had not been
diagnosed and understanding about
hepatitis was still developing.
The risk of contamination was raised further
because Factor VIII was made by pooling
plasma from up to 40,000 donors and
concentrating it.
How long did this last?
By the mid-1980s, once it was clear HIV
was blood-borne, the products started to be
heat-treated, to kill the viruses.
But questions remain about how much was
known before this time.
Despite these precautions, some of the
contaminated blood products remained in
circulation and continued to be used.
Screening of all blood products began in
And by the late 1990s, synthetic treatments
for haemophilia became available, removing
the infection risk.
What are the aims of the inquiry?
This UK-wide inquiry now under way is the
first that can demand that witnesses give
evidence.
It comes after decades of campaigning by
victims, who claim the risks were never
explained and the scandal was covered up.
The government has been strongly criticised
for dragging its heels.
Infected blood victim 'wanted to die'
Blood inquiry seeks answers at last
The secret in my blood
Liz Hooper: The woman who lost two
husbands to the scandal
A previous, privately funded inquiry held no
official status. It could not compel witnesses
to testify, or demand the release of
important documents.
In Scotland, a seven-year investigation was
criticised as a "whitewash" when it was
published in 2015.
The current inquiry, due to last two years,
was announced only after the UK
government faced a possible defeat in a
Commons vote demanding one.
Have people been infected elsewhere in the
world?
There have been thousands of cases of
people being given infected blood in the US.
But other countries also imported blood
products during the 1970s and 1980s.
In Europe, cases in France, Ireland, Portugal
and Italy have been identified. Japan,
Canada, Iran and Iraq have also been
caught up in the scandal.
In the US, companies that supplied infected
products have paid out millions of dollars in
out-of-court settlements.
In other countries, politicians and drug
companies have been convicted of
negligence.
None of that has happened in the UK -
although victims have been given limited
financial support.
At the opening of the inquiry, it was
announced that criminal trials could follow."
Re: Lagos Saves Baby From Jehovah’s Witnesses Over Blood Transfusion by Janosky: 10:45am On Jan 22, 2020
Seun:
This is highly commendable. I hope they don't stop at rescuing babies. Children of all ages in similar circumstances should be rescued. We cannot let children die in the name of religion. A child’s right to live is more important than her parents‘ right to impose their religious beliefs on her.

If you have a similar case to report, you can call the Lagos State Office of the Public Defender on this toll-free number: 07080601080 or mail opdlagos@yahoo.com.

The same 'blood transfusion live saving ' fable have brought death and misery to tens of thousands of children and adults all over the globe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/transfusions-kill-patients-say-doctors-1070012.html

****"*********
BBC News Navigation
Sections
What is the contaminated blood scandal?
By Nick Triggle
Health correspondent
14 June 2019