Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:55 AM

Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine (68728 Views)

ABU Didn't Admit Goodness Thomas Into MBBS Cos In Niger Alone She Ranked No. 7 / ABU To Migrate From Undergraduate To Postgraduate University – VC / ABU To Represent Nigeria At ENACTUS World Cup In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Correcto: 4:51pm On Jan 09, 2020
I am not sure you went through Nigerian system of education seeking medicine, you for understand wetin happen.
Isahalbash:

Nop, didn't you read where someone called her to change her course which she did?

I think she was not given admission when d first list came out.

I know someone who got medicine and surgery on second list.

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by MoIbrahim: 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2020
Elzak:
But some people who don't know how admission works in ABU were shouting religion up and down.

They will still come to comment without reading the post.

Modified

Some idiots have been on my mention. I won't reply them and the ones to come.

Nigeria has become so bad now that everything religion sells. Once you mention religion, people stop reasoning.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by ayinba1(f): 4:53pm On Jan 09, 2020
[quote author=ThankYouGod post=85646065]Hope they will not frustrate her when she's admitted.[/quotep]

Sadly, she is already frustrated by whomever suggested to her to claim religious bias. She is young and it is sad that her guardians already partly ruined her. She can continue to play the victim and apply to US for admission claiming religious discrimination because there are no Christian graduates from ABU Medicine, right? Just sad

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2020
Matters arising

1.Seems like ABU was a bit overfair though, and the admission was denied based on merit, in a way. But...one wonders why she could not get in on other means...as her score was high enough.

2.Again, the problem really is that

a) The number of qualifed graduates from the South outnumbers the number of qualified graduates from the North.

b) In a view to encourage fairness...many qualifed graduates from the South miss out on admission into Northern universites. (The Southern universites are already oversubscribed...so many have to go North)

c) Private universites are not necessarily an option (Medicine in Babcock costs N1million per annum.)...

3.The problem is not ABU's admisison policy, but the problem is that Federal Character, and often tribalism tends to knock out a lot of qualifed Southerners and Middle Belters from admission largely because we somehow have to maintain 'Balance'

The transformation of unviersites into tribal development centers (instenad of centers of learning) also accelerates the mess. ABU in particular has issues with suspicion , over the years, rightly or wrongly, that it is a university for the Far North by the Far North.(ironically, under Sir Ahmadu Bello...who was a Islamist, but first and foremost a Northern regionalist....the girl would have gotten admission into Medicne direct. No qualms).

All I am going to say about this, is that we have to stop turning Federal Universites into Tribal Advancement Centers. The problem is , we also have to find a way to deal with the education gap between the North and the South too as well. And your wirter has no answer as to how we would do that.

But if care is not taken, in twenty years, our private unvierstes are going to be the main centers of learning, and all our public universites are going to be in a mess (Even in the North, private unvierstes are slowly becoming a thing). Universites are centers of learning, not centers for the advancement of your tribe (and yes, the South has the same issue...we just hide it with the fact that we have enough qualified academics ...but no Hausa man can find it easy to gain admission into UNN or UNILAG or UI even on merit)

Also, to be honest, I'm going to say this once again...the problem is our economy is dependent on oil, and as a result, we do not have enough industires, and enough jobs, and a lack of investment in vocational and technical education. As such, our unviersites have become the main battleground for tribal supremacy. If we were an industrial society, admisison even in Muslim North unviersites would be on merit. We have to change our economic settings. Nigeria must leave oil alone and industrialize. We have no choice.

3 Likes

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Isahalbash(m): 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2020
Correcto:
I am not sure you went through Nigerian system of education seeking medicine, you for understand wetin happen.

I'm just telling you what I know. I know someone who was not admitted when the first list came out but later admitted to study the same medicine and surgery in that same A.B.U. when the second list came out.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by switspin(f): 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2020
Elzak:
But some people who don't know how admission works in ABU were shouting religion up and down.

They will still come to comment without reading the post.

Modified

Some idiots have been on my mention. I won't reply them and the ones to come.
ABU Zaria should publish their merit list with the state of origin attached to the names for easy verification of whether only 2 candidates we're taken per state

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by ayinba1(f): 4:57pm On Jan 09, 2020
treshbanj:
Don't mind them, all lies! If u go to the Medicine Dept and Law na so so Hausa and Fulani full there. You go hassle hard to see any Christian in that dept even if you see at all nah southern Kaduna

So the Southern Kaduna are not Christian enough? And when you go to UNN, na so so Hausa/Fulani also full dia?

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Goldencheese(m): 5:00pm On Jan 09, 2020
Better.

Do you have an urgent need for a business plan, feasibility studies, financial statements preparation and raising of capital for your hotel, restaurant, integrated farm, university project, real estate business, potable water, beverages production, technology business, school business, iron and steel business, microfinance bank, among many other business projects? See my signature.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Jeffersonagain(m): 5:06pm On Jan 09, 2020
Luckysbab:

You're a shameless bigot.

UI uses UTME, POST-UTME and even SSCE to compute average score. Are they also religiously biased?

You idiots just love to cause unnecessary tensions, throwing baseless allegations around.

It is your kind that should be arrested for disrupting peaceful coexistence in our society.

I won't descend into the pit of expletives with you. I am not of the kind.
But is it not the bigotry that you accuse me of that has incapacitated you from simple logic?
How come the candidate that came first in UTME , which is a credible national exam, comes third in post-UTME? And how does this happen just when two students are needed from each state when the basis for selection is merit and not quota system? Do you choose to be blind to the fact that the only disadvantaged candidate of the spurious system is the Christian among the three?
And to think that your only argument is that other universities use the post-UTME.
Sir my suggestion was that the post-UTME should be scrapped nationwide not just in ABU.
Perhaps you need to read the recent piece by Rev. Fr. Matthew Kukah (that is if your mind has the capacity to tolerate the other viewpoint)

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 09, 2020
maynation:

MY name is maynation, you can always do the right thing.
We have to chat off internet...
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by maynation(f): 5:09pm On Jan 09, 2020
Smartchoiice:

We have to chat off internet...
Okay

And lemme assume if I say No then you gonna result back into blackmailing me??
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by 9jasmart(m): 5:10pm On Jan 09, 2020
I pray she's not victimized during d duration of her course
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 09, 2020
maynation:

Okay

And lemme assume if I say No then you gonna result back into blackmailing me??
It is essential we do. I can come by your office during break....
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by namiji2598: 5:13pm On Jan 09, 2020
Correcto:
She applied for medicine but was given Anatomy as compensation
go and read it completely, she applied for medicine but she changed it to anatomy,
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2020
Jeffersonagain:

But is it not the bigotry that you accuse me of that has incapacitated you from simple logic?
How come the candidate that came first in UTME , which is a credible national exam, comes third in post-UTME? And how does this happen just when two students are needed from each state when the basis for selection is merit and not quota system? Do you choose to be blind to the fact that the only disadvantaged candidate of the spurious system is the Christian among the three?
And to think that your only argument is that other universities use the post-UTME.
Sir my suggestion was that the post-UTME should be scrapped nationwide not just in ABU.
Perhaps you need to read the recent piece by Rev. Fr. Matthew Kukah (that is if your mind has the capacity to tolerate the other viewpoint)

Thank you.

Noticed your comment...no, am not the guy you responded to.

Post UTME was brought in in 2005//6 because of concerns by Universites about JAMB's integrity (cheating was a problem then). Many Universites were complaining about the bad quality of students sent to their campuses by JAMB.

Asking universites to scrap post-UTME (And it has been declared illegal in the past) would be met with resistance from the unis themselves.(Plus it does bring in cash afterall). I agree it should be scrapped...that's one extra exam too many for poor students.

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Petdagr8t(m): 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2020
I was once a victim back in 2017, thank God for the outcry and awareness created by some concerned Nigeria to secure the right admission for this lady. Now they've teamed up with Jamb and came with some flimsy excuses which will not sell to reasonable Nigerians. 2 persons per state my foot, as far as I'm concern A.B.U is the most tribalized institution in Nigeria. They are simply following the foot step of their Grand patron Ahmedu Bello...the chief tribalist.

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by namiji2598: 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2020
Correcto:
She applied for medicine but was given Anatomy as compensation
“We discovered that she has changed her course from Medicine to Anatomy.
” I spoke with her but she said somebody called her to change to Anatomy. Up till now, she has not shown any evidence"
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by 2chukwu(m): 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2020
maynation:
You people don't know how we do our thing in ABU, stop interfering.
Children of hate! We sure understand how you operate up there...that's why we want to kuku dash una una one nizooria ok

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by maynation(f): 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2020
Smartchoiice:

Nope. Why should I?
Good to know.

Anyways for your information I hate you and I can't even pretend to hide it.
Seeing your moniker alone irks me not to talk about what I've gone through in your hand.
Please let's pretend we don't both exist to each other.
I'd be glad.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Luckysbab: 5:18pm On Jan 09, 2020
Jeffersonagain:

Thank you.

I know a candidate last who scored 289 in the UTME and scores 234 or so in the Post UTME. The same way we see same candidate who passes WAEC well and fails NECO woefully. Should NECO also be scrapped for WAEC only?

I still maintain you're crying foul where there is no proof of any.

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Luckysbab: 5:19pm On Jan 09, 2020
maynation:

Good to know.

Seeing your moniker alone irks me not to talk about what I've gone through in your hand.
I'd be glad.

Lady May grin cheesy
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by bahaushe1: 5:19pm On Jan 09, 2020
I don't know the admission policy of ABU but in my place one doesn't place any criteria on merit list other than candidate's weighted average.

We normally allocate 40% of the admission qouta to merit list and the best 40% of the applicants based on weighted average of UTME and postutme scores get admitted on merit irrespective of state of origin.

State of origin is taken care of by catchment area (35% of the admission qouta) and educationally less developed states (25% of the admission qouta). Each federal university has it's catchment area and list of educationally less developed states.

Finally, JAMB or it's Registrar doesn't have power to direct any university to admit a candidate. That power is vested in the Senate of the respective universities. JAMB conducts examination, Senate admits candidates based on their performance in the exams and communicates same to JAMB.

3 Likes

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 09, 2020
maynation:

Good to know.

I'd be glad.
Lol I am glad you do. It is essential we talk... An enemy is the person whose story you have not heard.... I could come by your office during break if you don't mind...
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Jeffersonagain(m): 5:21pm On Jan 09, 2020
Luckysbab:

You're a shameless bigot.

UI uses UTME, POST-UTME and even SSCE to compute average score. Are they also religiously biased?

You idiots just love to cause unnecessary tensions, throwing baseless allegations around.

It is your kind that should be arrested for disrupting peaceful coexistence in our society.

I should further bring to your attention sir, that typically, the first list that is released in universities admission all over Nigeria is the Merit List which captures all highest performing candidates who chose particular institutions irrespective of state of origin, religion or any other factor.
Miss Goodness Thomas is more than qualified on the basis of merit.
The deceptive stance of ABU that they picked two candidates from each state on merit is utterly preposterous and infinitely untenable because it both does merit a great harm and defies the quota principle.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by maynation(f): 5:23pm On Jan 09, 2020
Luckysbab:

Lady May grin cheesy

Mr Luckysbabgrin

A simple 'happy new year wish' will make me mistake you for a gentle man. undecided
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by maynation(f): 5:26pm On Jan 09, 2020
Smartchoiice:

Lol I am glad you do. It is essential we talk... An enemy is the person whose story you have not heard.... I could come by your office during break if you don't mind...
Your story can never make it to my earings.
The thought of that alone irritates me.
I mind you coming around.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 09, 2020
maynation:

Your story can never make it to my earings.
The thought of that alone irritates me.
I mind you coming around.
If you say so Mercy.... If you say so...
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by iLiquidator: 5:28pm On Jan 09, 2020
naijaguy123456:
A girl who scored 309 should be able to study medicine. Fuc. you ABU for discriminating against her .
Look at this illiterate that doesn't know how admission works in ABU. Useless religious bigot that will rot in hell fire.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by maynation(f): 5:30pm On Jan 09, 2020
Smartchoiice:

If you say so Mercy.... If you say so...
grin
You obviously think calling me Mercy will speak your supposed message?

You just need to grow up, a bunch lot of crowd is watching.
Good year.
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by Jeffersonagain(m): 5:37pm On Jan 09, 2020
Luckysbab:

I know a candidate last who scored 289 in the UTME and scores 234 or so in the Post UTME. The same way we see same candidate who passes WAEC well and fails NECO woefully. Should NECO also be scrapped for WAEC only?

I still maintain you're crying foul where there is no proof of any.

Even the devil will maintain that he has a reason for being wicked. You see the world according to the diameter of your mind.

I should let you know that I am not against Muslims, I am against the use of religion as a tool for selfish manipulation and marginalization. I would respond the very same way if I thought that a Muslim was being discriminated against.

On of the principles of justice is the fairness must to seen to have been extended to all, especially the person in the disadvantage. And if you feel that the ABU system was fair to Goodness then you are entitled to your opinion, as you clearly are.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by femi4: 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2020
aylipple:

I read all the responses to your submission & it's obvious, all didn't bother to read the news item, read it but couldn't comprehend or read & decided just to remain in ignorance.

From the report & evidences allegedly tabled before the JAMB boss, the lady in question wasn't denied admission to study medicine based on "quota" as some have claimed but merit; that much was confirmed by Prof. Oloyede who said A.B.U gave admission to the best two candidates to study the course based on merit.

From Niger, based on the average scores, the lady came third (by JAMB score, she obviously is the highest from her state but when the Post-UTME scores are factored in, she is third).

You stylishly cut off where they wrote two people per states.

"But JAMB discovered that ABU decided to peg its Merit List at two candidates per state leaving out Shekwobyalo from those shortlisted for medicine."

You probably need a dictionary to check the meaning of "Quota"
Re: Thomas Goodness Shekwobyalo: JAMB Orders ABU To Offer Girl Medicine by edoairways: 5:43pm On Jan 09, 2020
anochuko01:
If this is true, then Great analysis from jamb and ABU...
She could have written to the school to seek clarity on why she wasn't granted admission rather than going online.

She simply have herself unworthy popularity.
She should leave

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Six Parts Of Your Body You Probably Don't Know Their Names / Nigerian Lady Reveals What ASUU Strike Has 'Done To Her' (Before & After Photos) / When A Girl Tells You She Studies Banking And Surgery( photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.