Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard (58449 Views)

The Cheetah Is Not The Fastest Animal: Not What You Think / Amotekun Killed University Of Ibadan Student, Attacked Union Leaders - NANS / Amotekun Is Leopard Not Cheetah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by twosquare(m): 1:56pm On Jan 19, 2020
It is called Ìbaaka in Yoruba..camel...but the Yoruba Muslims borrowed from the Arabic tongue called it Rakunmi
macof:
. Elephant is not an original English word

Just as Rakumi (camel) is not an original Yoruba word

Some have suggested Taiga for the Yoruba word for Tiger

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2020
Debaiz:

Picture of wild lion? Are you mentally stable?

If you don’t know the meaning of “wild” then google is your friend now. I’m not your teacher.

You too bring picture of wild goats. Or you want to say there are no wild goats.

Like I said earlier you’re trying to be smart and funny but the actual joke is on you cos it’s obvious your knowledge of the meaning of “WILD” is shallow.

Have a nice day
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 2:06pm On Jan 19, 2020
aywhy93:

Lol... I'll give you the project topic I did back then in school (in Yoruba) and you wont be able to read the title, let alone comprehend the content. I wont waste my knowledge on you. Come to Institute of African Studies in UI and learn Yoruba. Back to the topic, does it come to your thinking that whatever caused the movements of Yoruba, it doesn't change the fact that they've roamed enough places to have seen a tiger which you claimed they never saw to give it that name, Ekun..?

I have seen some kings in Yoruba land who doesn't even know the history of is kingdom how much more someone like you, when they ask you to look for awo ekun in Yorubaland is it tiger skin they give you or leopard skin also when you go to palaces in Yoruba land what you see is Ekun not tiger. Even if that is too stressful for you, at least you saw when the Aare Onakakanfo was initiated, he wore Awo Ekun and it doesn't look like Tiger skin.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by AkpaMgbor(m): 2:07pm On Jan 19, 2020
twosquare:
That is the Igbo language. The Yorubas for a reason best known to them have specific names for things...even to the point of panegyrics.....like I quoted someone, don't tell me all the animals we have now in Eastern Nigeria are what we have now We often make the mistake of using the present to judge the past, forgetting that the present is so much different to the past in quality of wildlife, nature, and richness of animal species. Lions were once found in the Middle East, but if I were to argue, I would say No, since we don't have them around, it can't be. Thank God for empires who left relics of their symbols.

Some of you forget that Egypt was once an empire, and if we argue that we were somehow connected to ancient Egypt, then know some of our ancestors have seen these animals, and rightly so, named them.
You do have a point..for example we have a known name for the lion ‘ODUM’ in Igbo language, yet I’ve never seen one documented in west Africa for the past 100 years..so it’s possible that the animals native to south/East and North Africa might have also roamed (maybe in smaller numbers) in the west of Africa..
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by twosquare(m): 2:10pm On Jan 19, 2020
TAO11:

All Yoruba sayings about Ogidan points to the fact that Ogidan is Kiniun

The Yorubas believe that "Kiniun L' oba Eranko" --- meaning: "The Lion is the king of all beasts."

[s]In contrast to the foregoing, the Yorubas also add: "Ogidan Ol'olaaju" --- meaning: "Ogidan: the noblest (of all beasts)."[/s]

The superlative equivalence gives the answer away very apparently.

Ogidan is Kiniun --- Lion.

Ol'olaaj--break it down...Olóòlà Ijù. Olóòlà is an occupation in old Yoruba culture who gives out circumcision to children or pple. Ijù is "wild" "forest"....
It means tiger, the circumciser of the forest....they added, a kọ Ọmọ ní ilà lai lo abẹ (who gives incision to children without a blade).
Cc VanTee20

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2020
Debaiz:

Mr Yoruba knowledge.

If you can right off someone’s knowledge just because it’s from Nat geo wild shows how arrogant in ignorance you are not only that, this shows your unwillingness to learn from superior researchers(Nat Geo).

Your unwillingness to learn and arrogance is quite evident from your right up. You believe a 7year old cannot know more than you but your display has shown that not only will a 7year old better your knowledge but you will be schooled.

You said Yoruba people from several platforms have said it yet the logo of Amotekun security outfit has a leopard in it. All online sources including but not limited to google translate says its leopard.

Are you saying you know more than 6state Governors, scores of first class traditional Kings, hundreds if not thousands of local hunters and traditional worshippers who were consulted before the project started?

If this is not arrogance then I don’t know what it is.

I won’t continue engaging an arrogant ignorant. Now shift let me see front.

Yoruba traditions are clear that ẹkùn is a spotted animal
I don't know what your references to Nat Geo Wild is supposed to prove
Does Natgeo wild tell you Ẹkùn is Tiger?

And I am less concerned with the main picture used for Operation Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn..
Rather more so on the use of the word "Ẹkùn" for two animals
One not being known to ancient Yoruba
And how were hunters and traditionalists consulted over the picture?
Is it not due to that error that this conversation has been provoked?
Same way we are trying to correct the error that Èṣù is Satan

knowledge of traditional yoruba would make anyone realise this not Natgeo wild and Google that you keep referencing

And look at him running mad over a very simple topic. Better calm yourself
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2020
cbrass:

I have seen some kings in Yoruba land who doesn't even know the history of is kingdom how much more someone like you, when they ask you to look for awo ekun in Yorubaland is it tiger skin they give you or leopard skin also when you go to palaces in Yoruba land what you see is Ekun not tiger. Even if that is too stressful for you, at least you saw when the Aare Onakakanfo was initiated, he wore Awo Ekun and it doesn't look like Tiger skin.

That's where you shot yourself.. Some people have been crowned king only because they were born on the soil even though they spent the majority of their lives growing in foreign lands. So I hope it makes sense to you why your supposed king doesn't know the history of his n your land..? There are some whites who picked interest in Yoruba and put themselves into it so much that they know the practices and understand everything more than your Mogaji, how much more you. I've been pointing you to the only comprehensive article on the internet written in pure Yoruba language about Tigers (Ekun) and you've not said anything tangible about it. Probably because you can't even read it. So called Omo Yoruba?

All you were doing is blabbing and running around in endless circles. Drop a reference to butchress your point as I've done and stop telling tales and stories in your dreams.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 2:31pm On Jan 19, 2020
twosquare:

Ol'olaaj--break it down...Olóòlà Ijù. Olóòlà is an occupation in old Yoruba culture who gives out circumcision to children or pple. Ijù is "wild" "forest"....
It means tiger, the circumciser of the forest....they added, a kọ Ọmọ ní ilà lai lo abẹ (who gives incision to children without a blade).
Cc VanTee20

It appears you don't take into account that Yoruba animals have oríkì

Ogidan is Kìnnìún
"Ogidan olola iju" cannot refer to tiger because ancient yorubas did not observe tigers as tigers did not exist in their sphere of contact

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

Are cheetahs found in Nigeria?

Have you encountered God, Angels, Ghosts?

Why do you have Yoruba names for all of the above?

Your logic is flawed.

And whether it’s an adjective or not - you should kindly teach your Yoruba kids, if you are one, these things as well because our heritage is fast disappearing.

You're a very wise. This is the point people are not getting.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Ekealterego: 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2020
twosquare:
People make the mistake of using the present to judge the past, forgetting that the present isn't the same as the past for so many reasons due to climate change and the activities of men. And you are making the same mistake. It is like saying lions didn't exist in the Middle East, forgetting desertification and all. Just 3,900 tigers are remaining in the whole world.
Well, in biology, you can also trace historical distribution of animals or even reconstruct extinct animals, as far as research is concerned, there is no proof that Tigers lived as far down as West Africa or anywhere in the continent.

Although part of the felidae family, the ancestors of the tigers migrated more than 2 million years ago to Asia and that's where to evolved into what they are today.

In conclusion, Tigers were never at any point part of African wildlife.

P.S. Of course there are still proof of Asiatic lions or the Atlas Lions. No one ever disputes that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by twosquare(m): 2:51pm On Jan 19, 2020
I can't repeat myself on this topic, but I will say this, stop using the present to judge the past...stop making that mistake. The terrain of the present is far different from the past in wildlife, nature, and richness of animal species. We only have 3900 tigers in the world. The Caspian tiger is no more; the lions in the Middle East are no more, the dodo bird is no more, and so on. If you come late into a region, whatever you meet there is what you will say is native to that place (even though some things might have been there before). Let's assume tigers are not native here, but Ibaaka (camel, popularly called rakunmi by Muslims) is not native here too, but Yoruba has a name for it.

Don't just assume ancient Yorubas did not observe them up close. Go as far back as 12th-13th century, even so far back, not 18th, 19thc. Go as far back as ancient Egypt, the darling of the whole world. Ibon (gun) is not native to ancient Yorubas but was given a name and witnessed up close. You always ignore transcultural and transborder influences and experiences. So many options. Expand your thinking.
macof:

It appears you don't take into account that Yoruba animals have oríkì

Ogidan is Kìnnìún
"Ogidan olola iju" cannot refer to tiger because ancient yorubas did not observe tigers as tigers did not exist in their sphere of contact
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Venerable612(m): 2:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
Zealous2710:
Owawa is no Cheetah!!!
Owawa is called Civet in English.

Civet is ETA.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by twosquare(m): 2:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
And that's because they were documented. If they weren't, you won't know. And that's just an assumption.
Ekealterego:

Well, in biology, you can also trace historical distribution of animals or even reconstruct extinct animals, as far as research is concerned, there is no proof that Tigers lived as far down as West Africa or anywhere in the continent.

Although part of the felidae family, the ancestors of the tigers migrated more than 2 million years ago to Asia and that's where to evolved into what they are today.

In conclusion, Tigers were never at any point part of African wildlife.

P.S. Of course there are still proof of Asiatic lions or the Atlas Lions. No one ever disputes that.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 3:04pm On Jan 19, 2020
twosquare:
I can't repeat myself on this topic, but I will say this, stop using the present to judge the past...stop making that mistake. The terrain of the present is far different from the past in wildlife, nature, and richness of animal species. We only have 3900 tigers in the world. The Caspian tiger is no more; the lions in the Middle East are no more, the dodo bird is no more, and so on. If you come late into a region, whatever you meet there is what you will say is native to that place (even though some things might have been there before). Let's assume tigers are not native here, but Ibaaka (camel, popularly called rakunmi by Muslims) is not native here too, but Yoruba has a name for it.

Don't just assume ancient Yorubas did not observe them up close. Go as far back as 12th-13th century, even so far back, not 18th, 19thc. Go as far back as ancient Egypt, the darling of the whole world. Ibon (gun) is not native to ancient Yorubas but was given a name and witnessed up close. You always ignore transcultural and transborder influences and experiences. So many options. Expand your thinking.

About your comment on Ìbaaka I was going to reserve my response because I try to avoid engaging in topics I am not sure of
But I have always thought of two possibilities
1. Either just as you said Ìbaaka is camel
2. Or Ìbaaka is another name for the Donkey or related animal

I am yet to confirm but I just thought I should say this since you brought it up again

But what you get 100% wrong is to suggest that Tigers were found in Yorùbáland but are now extinct
You have no basis for this suggestion

Yoruba would have a name for camel because we traded extensively with people who used camels

The problem here is that Tiger cannot be called Ẹkùn when Leopard is already Ẹkùn
Both animals cannot share one word neither can tiger usurp the word from Leopard
We need to find a word for Tiger
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by jayman33: 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

First off the name Amotekun has nothing to do physical semblance as such.

It literally translates - “one who knows as Ekun”.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

Leopard - Ekun
Cheetah- Amoteku.......meaning....just like Ekun

they both have black spots. Major difference is Cheetah is smaller when compared to Leopard also Cheetah has a black line pattern that runs from its eyes downward to the nose appearing like a tears from the eyes.

So like the Yoruba proverbs that say "asukun pani bì ti amotekun"

Ogidan - Puma it's also a wild cat usually black with an eye ball that always appear like coal at at night. Extremely dangerous cat and fearless. The Yoruba calls it "Oloola iju"

Tiger - not a native of African wild cat and history shows that the Yorubas hardly comes in contact with it hence it doesn't have a name by the Yorubas... But it is acceptable to also call it Ekun. It is bigger in size compared to Leopard but has stripes pattern as against spots that Leopard got

Owawa- this is Jaguar. There isn't much difference between Leopard, Jaguar and Cheetah they all have spots, one need to pay attention to details before one can successfully differentiate them with respect to their size, spots and facial pattern .

Leopard is always the biggest of all the three while Cheetah always has a facial pattern different from the other two..

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by thecommunist(m): 3:14pm On Jan 19, 2020
Generalissimo75:
You have a point ...But for now, Amotekun is whatever the elders say it is.
let me quickly add my like to make it 300 likes...
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by tunmoj(m): 3:17pm On Jan 19, 2020
See how they are arguing about me...

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Adewale1603(m): 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2020
Leopard is native to Africa and Yoruba land called Ekun, All those skins You See in hunters or traditionalist abode is actually leopard skin, it's a spotted skin all over, not Tigers. Tigers are never found in Africa. Ekun is leopard

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by riches4me(m): 3:43pm On Jan 19, 2020
hresso:
Jeremiah 5:6

Therefore a lion from the forest will attack them, a wolf from the desert will ravage them, a leopard will lie in wait near their towns to tear to pieces any who venture out, for their rebellion is great and their backslidings many.

Nítorí náà, kìnnìún láti inú igbó yóò kọlù wọ́n,
ìkookò aginjù yóò sì pa wọ́n run,
ẹkùn yóò máa ṣe ibùba sí ẹ̀bá ìlú yín
ẹnikẹ́ni tí ó bá jáde ni yóò fàya pẹ́rẹpẹ̀rẹ,
nítorí àìgbọ́ràn yín pọ,
ìpadàsẹ́yìn wọn sì pọ̀.

I have carefully read all the comments from the first thread up until now. Those that argued that Amotekun is Leopard were only trying to force their arguments on us without no concrete evidence. So, with the facts that Tigers are not native to Africa and with this Bible verse referring to Leopard as Ekun means Leopard is Ekun.
FINAL ANSWER: Ekun is Leopard in Yoruba Language.

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by riches4me(m): 3:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
hresso:
Jeremiah 5:6

Therefore a lion from the forest will attack them, a wolf from the desert will ravage them, a leopard will lie in wait near their towns to tear to pieces any who venture out, for their rebellion is great and their backslidings many.

Nítorí náà, kìnnìún láti inú igbó yóò kọlù wọ́n,
ìkookò aginjù yóò sì pa wọ́n run,
ẹkùn yóò máa ṣe ibùba sí ẹ̀bá ìlú yín
ẹnikẹ́ni tí ó bá jáde ni yóò fàya pẹ́rẹpẹ̀rẹ,
nítorí àìgbọ́ràn yín pọ,
ìpadàsẹ́yìn wọn sì pọ̀.

I have carefully read all the comments from the first thread up until now. Those that argued that Amotekun is Leopard were only trying to force their arguments on us without no concrete evidence. So, with the facts that Tigers are not native to Africa and with this Bible verse referring to Leopard as Ekun means Leopard is Ekun.
FINAL ANSWER: Ekun is Leopard in Yoruba Language.

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by TAO11(f): 4:15pm On Jan 19, 2020
twosquare:

Cc VanTee20

You're absolutely right on the "Ijù" part. I slipped on that.

"Ol'ólàa'ju" is indeed a contraction of "Ol'ólà-Ijù". And "Ijù" truly means "wild/forest". Thank you for your correction on that.

However I object to your other points as follows:

1. The "circumciser" in Yoruba culture is called "Alábẹ" NOT "Ol'ola".

You've simply come up with your personal Ol'ola meaning/connection in order to bolster the sentiment that Ogidan is Tiger.

In Yoruba language "Ol'ólà" (with the same intonation) always means "the Noble one".

2. The so-called addition of "a kọ Ọmọ ní ilà lai lo abẹ" to the saying: "Ogidan: Ol'oola'ju" is obviously untrue.

There is no such addition to the saying. Moreover, An animal doesn't "incize" children.

"Akperan lai labe" is what you probably meant as the addition.

3. Lastly, even if all your interpretations/translations above are actually correct (which is obviously not entirely correct as has been shown); you are still about to demonstrate how Ogidan is Tiger from these saying(s).

4. What is more accurate in the final analys, therefore, is the saying: "Ògìdán Ol'ólàa'jù: Akperan lai labe". --- meaning: "Ogidan the noble one of the wild --- who slays animals without a knife".

5. What is more accurate also is that this Yoruba description of Ogidan (as the noble one of the wild) gels more with other Yoruba sayings about the Lion (e.g. The king of all beasts) than it may ever be thought to gel with Yoruba sayings about the Ekun.

Moreover, no Yoruba saying about the Ekun ever places Ekun above the Lion or above all beasts as the Yorubas clearly do with the Lion (i.e. Kiniun --- Oba Eranko)

The highest placement the Yorubas give to the Ekun in all their sayings is that the Ekun is "less" than or equal to the Lion, e.g. "Kaka ki Kiniun Se Atokun Ekun, Kaluku A Yamo Se Ode re Loto-Oto".

Even this foregoing saying when examined closely shows a subtle acknowledgement of superiority for the Lion above the Ekun, at least in the worldview of the Yorubas.

In sum, the Ekun is never once described, by the Yorubas, as being superior to the Lion or all other beasts.

In light of this knowing, the Yoruba description of the Ogidan in such paramount and absolute terms (i.e. "The noble one of the wild" ) makes it obvious that the Yorubas refer to the Lion in that description.

Ògìdán is therefore Kìnìún --- Lion. Q. E. D.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by cbrass(m): 4:21pm On Jan 19, 2020
aywhy93:

That's where you shot yourself.. Some people have been crowned king only because they were born on the soil even though they spent the majority of their lives growing in foreign lands. So I hope it makes sense to you why your supposed king doesn't know the history of his n your land..? There are some whites who picked interest in Yoruba and put themselves into it so much that they know the practices and understand everything more than your Mogaji, how much more you. I've been pointing you to the only comprehensive article on the internet written in pure Yoruba language about Tigers (Ekun) and you've not said anything tangible about it. Probably because you can't even read it. So called Omo Yoruba?

All you were doing is blabbing and running around in endless circles. Drop a reference to butchress your point as I've done and stop telling tales and stories in your dreams.

Answer my questions and leave your creepy internet jargon
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by aywhy93(m): 4:37pm On Jan 19, 2020
cbrass:

Answer my questions and leave your creepy internet jargon

cbrass:

You didn't ask question. No question tag whatsoever, you've just been blabbing since! When next you quote me, put a reference and be logical, it's important.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by supereagle(m): 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2020
somehow:

Following your assertion, may I ask you the Yoruba name for this animals?

Flamingo
Kangaroo
Ostrich
Mouse
Komodo
Anaconda
Cobra

Flamingo - Wadowado
Kangaroo
Ostrich- Ogongo baba eye
Mouse- eku
Komodo
Anaconda - Ojola
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by godfatherx: 4:55pm On Jan 19, 2020
Venerable612:

This is wrong.

First off the name Amotekun has nothing to do physical semblance as such.

It literally translates - “one who knows as Ekun”.

Again, you are wrong that Yoruba doesn’t have a transalation for Tiger - because our fathers didn’t have an encounter with them.

In fact Tiger has two Yoruba names. It could be called OGIDAN or EKUN. That’s why they say this provide - “Ogidan o ni se Barber, ki aja de be lo ge irun”.

And “KAKA KI KINIUN SAKAPO EKUN, OLODE A MAA RODE.“ Mind you Lion in Yoruba is Kiniun. And no one will ever compare a Lion with a Leopard. No animal can stand the Lion grit for grit amongst the Cat Family other than the Tiger; hence, the comparison.

Also, when Yorubas jokingly refer to someone as Ekun - it’s to represent that the person is a Strong man.

Thus,

Lion - Kiniun
Tiger - Ogidan and Ekun
Leopard - Amotekun
Cheetah - Owawa.

Hope this helps.

The OP is correct, yoruba never encountered Tiger and never named it.
Your long epistle doesn't make you right.
Using your theory, what name did the yoruba forefathers gave Kangaroo, Panda and Koala?
They never encountered those too.

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by funshint(m): 5:15pm On Jan 19, 2020
Not a single Tiger is domiciled in Africa....It's like looking for a yoruba name for Kangaroo?! Ekun actually refers to leopard.

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Debaiz: 5:50pm On Jan 19, 2020
macof:

Yoruba traditions are clear that ẹkùn is a spotted animal
I don't know what your references to Nat Geo Wild is supposed to prove
Does Natgeo wild tell you Ẹkùn is Tiger?

And I am less concerned with the main picture used for Operation Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn..
Rather more so on the use of the word "Ẹkùn" for two animals
One not being known to ancient Yoruba
And how were hunters and traditionalists consulted over the picture?
Is it not due to that error that this conversation has been provoked?
Same way we are trying to correct the error that Èṣù is Satan

knowledge of traditional yoruba would make anyone realise this not Natgeo wild and Google that you keep referencing

And look at him running mad over a very simple topic. Better calm yourself

Once again your arrogance in ignorance. Continue and good luck.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by macof(m): 6:05pm On Jan 19, 2020
Debaiz:

Once again your arrogance in ignorance. Continue and good luck.

You are the ignorant one here who can't even keep cool
You are wrong and oblivious of yoruba terms thereby relying heavily on google and still you want to run a hot head

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by jamesgran02: 6:15pm On Jan 19, 2020
Oga, obviously,you are not a bonafide Yoruba.If you took Yoruba language in your primary school,then you will know EKUN is referred to Tiger and Amotekun is Leopard.

Perhaps you should go to this site to broaden your orientation.thanks

https://www.theyorubablog.com/oruko-eranko-ati-aworan-yoruba-names-of-animals-and-pictures/
Demzlent:

You are wrong mister,how could olden days Yorubas have a name for something they never know,ogidan is oriki for ekun
Ekun is respected not for its size but for its boldness and courage. I will even try and get the oriki ekun and post it here, you will see that it refers to leopard seeing its description

Ekun - leopard
Amotekun - cheetah
Owawa - lynx

'Amo' in the amotekun does not mean 'know' it means 'almost like'
So the name translates 'almost like leopard'. Which could be rendered leopard look alike
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by Venerable612(m): 6:25pm On Jan 19, 2020
godfatherx:

The OP is correct, yoruba never encountered Tiger and never named it.
Your long epistle doesn't make you right.
Using your theory, what name did the yoruba forefathers gave Kangaroo, Panda and Koala?
They never encountered those too.

And you are correct because?

You don’t have to agree with what I say. But don’t come online to talk about correct and incorrect, just say your opinion and move on.

How long have you spent on earth to know who saw tigers or not? Africa is not a Country and it didn’t start in the 19th century.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by ayyoshert: 6:58pm On Jan 19, 2020
https://www.orishaimage.com/blog/animals
This might help as I see it deeper than other internet Yoruba translations. The study as shown in the link gives credence to Lucumi, being an ancient Yoruba, it will still retain the old words which are no more in use in standard Yoruba.
Re: Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard by twosquare(m): 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2020
Go and ask any elder that is close to you that what is the meaning of oloola, or if there is any occupation like that....just for curiosity, someone who knows Yoruba very well. I won't say more than that.

And it is used to describe the ferocious nature of the animal...ila is like tribal marks....so, it is just referring to animal attacks, either adults or even kids. So, it doesn't have a knife before it marks like it wants to give you a tribal mark.
TAO11:

You're absolutely right on the "Ijù" part. I slipped on that.

"Ol'ólàa'ju" is indeed a contraction of "Ol'ólà-Ijù". And "Ijù" truly means "wild/forest". Thank you for your correction on that.

However I object to your other points as follows:

1. The "circumciser" in Yoruba culture is called "Alábẹ" NOT "Ol'ola".

You've simply come up with your personal Ol'ola meaning/connection in order to bolster the sentiment that Ogidan is Tiger.

In Yoruba language "Ol'ólà" (with the same intonation) always means "the Noble one".

2. The so-called addition of "a kọ Ọmọ ní ilà lai lo abẹ" to the saying: "Ogidan: Ol'oola'ju" is obviously untrue.

There is no such addition to the saying. Moreover, An animal doesn't "incize" children.

"Akperan lai labe" is what you probably meant as the addition.

3. Lastly, even if all your interpretations/translations above are actually correct (which is obviously not entirely correct as has been shown); you are still about to demonstrate how Ogidan is Tiger from these saying(s).

4. What is more accurate in the final analys, therefore, is the saying: "Ògìdán Ol'ólàa'jù: Akperan lai labe". --- meaning: "Ogidan the noble one of the wild --- who slays animals without a knife".

5. What is more accurate also is that this Yoruba description of Ogidan (as the noble one of the wild) gels more with other Yoruba sayings about the Lion (e.g. The king of all beasts) than it may ever be thought to gel with Yoruba sayings about the Ekun.

Moreover, no Yoruba saying about the Ekun ever places Ekun above the Lion or above all beasts as the Yorubas clearly do with the Lion (i.e. Kiniun --- Oba Eranko)

The highest placement the Yorubas give to the Ekun in all their sayings is that the Ekun is "less" than or equal to the Lion, e.g. "Kaka ki Kiniun Se Atokun Ekun, Kaluku A Yamo Se Ode re Loto-Oto".

Even this foregoing saying when examined closely shows a subtle acknowledgement of superiority for the Lion above the Ekun, at least in the worldview of the Yorubas.

In sum, the Ekun is never once described, by the Yorubas, as being superior to the Lion or all other beasts.

In light of this knowing, the Yoruba description of the Ogidan in such paramount and absolute terms (i.e. "The noble one of the wild" ) makes it obvious that the Yorubas refer to the Lion in that description.

Ògìdán is therefore Kìnìún --- Lion. Q. E. D.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It. / Two FUTO Students Found Dead In Their Lodge Today (Graphic Photos) / When Your Village People Sit Near You In The Exam Hall (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.