Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,086 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? (34402 Views)

My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Nobody: 1:07am On Feb 10, 2020
Guy,no dey fall our Hand With a Result like this in Mechanical Engineering u are on the right track... Mechanical engineering is broad so where's ur Speciality...U know having a mechanical engineering certificate in Nigeria is quite different from knowing and working practically...Hope say u done see Thermostat Before?! Lolz.
U can specialize on air-conditioning units, refrigerators,cars,planes,Ships or Spaceships...The choice is urs...As Naija be now,I advise u take another year or two to specialize Some where fast(know ur AutoCAD Program),marine power plants/Generators,Industrial Generators or Gas turbines coz na who Sabi work be big fish for market(So many Marine servicing Companies in Lag and Ph are looking for experienced Marine/Mech engineers in these fields with a good pay)Guy,If u already know how to overhaul and do routine maintenance u be gold fish ohh...5years from now make sure u are a certified COREN Registered Engineer so u can get and keep the Federal Government Jobs or
U can always get all the necessary offshore mandatory certificates and go work big vessels offshore as Oiler or 1st engineer but if u wish to go learn Catering and Sewing...Like my Mum always says "Destiny is in your Hands".

3 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by seanwilliam(m): 6:18am On Feb 10, 2020
jeph19:

Thanks sir
Your inputs are very well appreciated and would serve as a pillar for my decisions and choices.
I wish you the best this life has to offer

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Euegene100001: 8:06am On Feb 10, 2020
Bro it is a waste of time in Nigeria How many graduate end up with jobs after nysc ? How many employers employ based on ur experience on NYSC .what we normally hear is 5 years working experience and not 1 year nysc working experience. If the right government were in power and the available jobs were in place then it would have not been a waste of time but till then it’s still a waste of time,money and efforts.
correctyourself:

How is it a waste of time, and what did you think you know immediately after university and how many can draft a memo or C.V, or how many has experience to input in their C.V? With your NYSC you get work experience to input, get to know things that you must know which was not thought while in the uni.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by cornelin(m): 9:08am On Feb 10, 2020
Microwhy:

To be honest with you, you stand a better chance anytime anyday with your result.
Power engineering is fast selling so channel all your energy toward that field. You don't need masters degree for now, all you need is short courses. Goto Siemens and learn rotatery
machines I.e Gas turbine. Cryogels and anything thermodynamics related.
Goto NAPTIN office and ask them about federal government scholarship to study in NAPTIN.
If you're in Lagos, goto Egbin and learn how things work..
Power generation is mechanical while transmission and distribution is for electrical engineers to handle.
You can also go into alternative power sources like solar and wind which I believe you did in your 400 level.

Bro, I'm also considering of leaving this my current job to take a training course on Solar Power Installation. I hope I'm not making any mistake. I'm an engineering graduate also.
To the rotary machine course you wrote up there, how easy can one be accepted into to be trained?
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by jeph19(m): 12:33pm On Feb 10, 2020
seanwilliam:
I wish you the best this life has to offer
Thanks sir
You're one sane and nice Nairalander
I'll update you soonest sir
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by daram007: 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2020
I graduated with 2:1 in electrical and electronics engineering...its not been easy...I am still chasing the dream....just know what u want and be determined to get it....Life after school is extremely different.....
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by daram007: 9:13pm On Feb 10, 2020
And if u have the resources...u can go for different certifications.....Automation is there for u and so on.....just make sure u are not stagnant.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by daram007: 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2020
Or betterstill..Get out of this country....
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by princejayy(m): 12:07am On Feb 11, 2020
Trojan8:

Greatest Unibest! I have a question bro, when did you start clearance to have gotten SOR so fast?

I started clearance on the 27th of January.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by princejayy(m): 9:58am On Feb 11, 2020
[quote author=biosystech post=86480064]UNIBEN? Interesting. How's Olagbegi, Anderson, Mazi, Onyekpe, Ebunilo etc.? grin

They are all good. Still in the business of producing the best minds.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by biosystech: 9:12pm On Feb 11, 2020
princejayy:

Seems everyone is recommending Germany. Is their tuition free, living expenses etc. free?
Germany is tuition free but you need a certain amount to be put in a blocked account for living expenses before you are given visa or a scholarship or a sponsorship letter from a tax-paying relative living in Germany for quite sometime. Search for the German thread and follow it.

princejayy:
They are all good. Still in the business of producing the best minds.
Ok oh.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Microwhy: 4:07pm On Feb 12, 2020
cornelin:

Bro, I'm also considering of leaving this my current job to take a training course on Solar Power Installation. I hope I'm not making any mistake. I'm an engineering graduate also.
To the rotary machine course you wrote up there, how easy can one be accepted into to be trained?
Sorry for the late response.
Don't quit your job yet, apply for a leave from your work, goto NAPTIN and take a 1-2 weeks certification course on solar installation and maintenance.
Secondly, download PVsyst software and learn everything about it. You can download YouTube videos for self study.
PVsyst is a major requirement by big companies from solar engineers.
Bro! If you can use PVsyst effectively, then you're on your way to financial freedom.
Cheers....

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by cornelin(m): 7:40pm On Feb 12, 2020
Microwhy:

Sorry for the late response.
Don't quit your job yet, apply for a leave from your work, goto NAPTIN and take a 1-2 weeks certification course on solar installation and maintenance.
Secondly, download PVsyst software and learn everything about it. You can download YouTube videos for self study.
PVsyst is a major requirement by big companies from solar engineers.
Bro! If you can use PVsyst effectively, then you're on your way to financial freedom.
Cheers....
Thanks for your response. I am not due for any leave now. I just feel like being trapped in this job. I need to be free and regain my sanity.
Please, is the pvsyst performs same function as sketchup?
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Beolly(m): 10:13pm On Feb 12, 2020
franchasng:
congrats great SOMEC.

While you apply for multinational company jobs which usually recruit graduate trainees every year; shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, Saipem, Mantrac, Oil Test, Nestlé, NBC via one engineering agency like that, I think AETI, Guinness Diageo, etc, go to Google now and Google free masters degree in Finland, Norway, Sweden....It's free and will give you a good exposure.

South Korea is also running a free all expense sponsored scholarships for foreign graduates and it's an awesome opportunity that you will forever grateful to ever participate if you are finally selected.

Any undergraduate currently in 1St class or 2.1 should quote me for details because there is same opportunity for undergraduates.

My small firm never reach to employ more than 10 staffs I would have offered you a job to start life with

hello I'm a 2.1 graduate I'm interested in the scholarship in any country. if you have any link please let's discuss through your mailbox
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Microwhy: 11:33am On Feb 21, 2020
cornelin:

Thanks for your response. I am not due for any leave now. I just feel like being trapped in this job. I need to be free and regain my sanity.
Please, is the pvsyst performs same function as sketchup?
I hope you still remember what I said about Siemens..

https://www.nairaland.com/5696762/fg-mulls-handover-power-distribution

Please don't forget to make your ways into that field Power.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by engrofodile: 10:11am On Mar 05, 2020
Hi, I checked for Norway sometime last week but it seems one must transfer a certain sum of money before they're granted visa. [/quote]

Yeah around 5m naira, I did apply but...
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 13, 2020
EnterpriseMan:

Start to hustle, Don't wait for a job.. you don't wanna become a slave to the society do you? start thinking of ways to make money for yourself, keep your certificate in ur box, because you won't be needing it.. Go to the business section and start thinking of ways to develop yourself.

I really love your advice.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by cokeryusuf09(m): 2:12pm On May 06, 2020
franchasng:
congrats great SOMEC.

While you apply for multinational company jobs which usually recruit graduate trainees every year; shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, Saipem, Mantrac, Oil Test, Nestlé, NBC via one engineering agency like that, I think AETI, Guinness Diageo, etc, go to Google now and Google free masters degree in Finland, Norway, Sweden....It's free and will give you a good exposure.

South Korea is also running a free all expense sponsored scholarships for foreign graduates and it's an awesome opportunity that you will forever grateful to ever participate if you are finally selected.

Any undergraduate currently in 1St class or 2.1 should quote me for details because there is same opportunity for undergraduates.

My small firm never reach to employ more than 10 staffs I would have offered you a job to start life with
Can u offer me a job
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by franchasng: 2:21pm On May 06, 2020
cokeryusuf09:

Can u offer me a job
No, not at this turbulent time that we retrenched 90% of our staff force cry
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Oladayo12(m): 5:27pm On May 06, 2020
franchasng:
No, not at this turbulent time that we retrenched 90% of our staff force cry
Pls bro i don't mind if you can help me with any sure scholarship, be it local or international. I can also volunteer if you have a place for it. i graduated with 2.1, precisely 4.21Cgpa. Thanks
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Ephemeralbeing: 5:48am On May 17, 2022
lordally:

Ok you have done a good job by making a second class upper... Glasses up for you well by the way it's just a good step in the right direction and I will say you have done your part now welcome to the real world as it stands now the only way or rather the surest way of making it in Nigeria legally and quickly is through information technology which is called IT ..... Have you ever noticed each time there is a job opening either in the Nigerian civil service or any other government parastatal there is always multitude of crowds and a stampede and some people even lose their lifes? It's because these are jobs that requires non-technical skills that's why lots of people push towards it!!!

But have you ever seen a case where there is a job opening where PROGRAMMERS, UI/UX DESIGNERS , APP DEVELOPER , IOS DEVELOPER , DATA SCIENTIST , DATA ENGINEERS are needed and there are crowds or stampede? NEVER!!! because people who possess the skills are scarce therefore leading to the higher pay!!!

BRO I WOULD ADVICE YOU LOOK AT WHERE YOUR INTEREST LIES AND CHOOSE A COURSE IN ICT THAT INTEGRATES WITH THAT INTERES!!!

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SOFTWARE DEVELOPER THAT IS JOBLESS I REPEAT I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN ACCEPT SAY THE PERSON NO KNOW IN WORK!!! I JUST FINISHED MY NYSC LAST YEAR OCTOBER ....AND I'M CURRENTLY WARMING UP TO GO FOR A SOFTWARE ENGINEERING TRAINING AT STUTERN...... IN VIEW TO BE A FULL STACK SOFTWARE DEVELOPER/ENGINEER .... AND BABA ONCE IM DONE WORK GO DEY FIND ME!!! IM 100% SURE!!!! ONE OF MY COURSE MATE JUST HAD HIS INTERVIEW AND MEDICALS WITH UNITY BANK HE WENT THIS FAR BECAUSE HIS AN APP DEVELOPER!!

BRO IN SUMMARY HERE IS MY ADVICE .... IF YOU ARE IN LAGOS I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO TRY AND REGISTER FOR THE STUTERN GRADUATE ACCELERATOR PROGRAM ....those guys are super good in training and are less expensive!!!! And the training is for 4 months after that baba I swear!!! The highest you would stay at home without a job is one month!!!

That's my little cent bro!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hijab: University Of Ibadan International School - Muslims Protest / Picture Of A Teacher Presenting A Pant To A Student As A Prize / FG Cancels Federal University Of Health Sciences In Otukpo Approved By GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.