Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,883 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? (34400 Views)

My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Trojan8(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2020
thesicilian:
5years in school studying a course and you still don't know what next? A truly intelligent person would never ask that.
I think your post is rather harsh. I don't think he is totally oblivious of what he wants to achieve. Asking for input from others does not make him entirely clueless though.

To the OP, you should be looking at getting somewhere related to your course of study as an intern before and during service.

13 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by israelmao(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2020
Nigeria of today is what you can do,not all about your certificate or grade.I'm speaking from experience.

2 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by popsy2(m): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2020
2metrelaurie:

Keep the certificate aside and hustle like a dropout

Badt guy
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Glance(m): 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2020
Go and open store and start your workshop that will be better, if you know you did not know the practical of what you study, go and learn work before you open the work store.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Offpoint: 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2020
bluefilm:

That's the shocking reality today.

So many of our undergraduates are so directionless.

I just pity them knowing the hopelessness that awaits so many them when they finally manage to graduate.

It seems most of them go to school because of the certification, they don't really know their career path.

2 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by frankmoney(m): 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2020
If you ask the question then something must be wrong with you
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Jobminister: 12:26pm On Feb 08, 2020
A job of 2.1M gross pay.,

After that an employee for ever.

Self employ is the key.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by sulaak(m): 12:27pm On Feb 08, 2020
Why did you waste five years of your life studying for a degree in Mechanical Engr without a career plan?

You should have engaged with your fellow students on a business idea before you graduated.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by abanihenry(m): 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2020
I thank God for your successful graduation, if your parents can still train you further, they should send you to Germany, there are good practical based institutions where you can learn the practical aspect of your profession or better still go to any mechanic village in your state of residence and learn from local mechanics. I wish you well.

4 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by SenecaTheYonger: 12:32pm On Feb 08, 2020
Davash222:
Since you read Mechanical Engineering, I’ll advice you set up a Mechanic shop. Get your tools box and work don start be that. More ‘Grease’ to your elbow.
hahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by golddare: 12:33pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:
Good day great intellectuals of Nairaland.

Overtime, I have seen people on this forum address issues on/for/about people with 2.2 and 3rd class and advice them on what to do next, however neglecting the 2.1 and 1st class category.

As a recent graduate, the future looks bleak. I would like matured advice on the next step and how to move forward from here. As you know, every decision at this point is quite critical.

I graduated from Mechanical Engineering department. Engineering professionals, your views are welcome here please.

Hustle like you no get certificate. Dont let it get into your head, humble yourself and be prayerful.

2 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by bluefilm: 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2020
Offpoint:

It seems most of them go to school because of the certification, they don't really know their career path.

It's not really their fault.

It's the reality on ground.

If you ask me, I'd say it's more like lack of proper guidance.

I have some undergrads I work with. Most of them have absolutely no idea about what they are doing in their course of study.

6 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by aod1(m): 12:39pm On Feb 08, 2020
If you're passionate about engineering, you should have discovered your niche already. It's honestly not easy developing a career in engineering but if you're determined opportunities will find you.

3 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by princejayy(m): 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2020
englishgirl55:
Go for your masters abroad. Check out Germany

Seems everyone is recommending Germany. Is their tuition free, living expenses etc. free?

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Okuda(m): 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2020
if a graduate with such qualifications asks such questions truly the future is extremely bleak!

2 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by WittyLad(m): 12:42pm On Feb 08, 2020
Nigeria for you�
Your degree go soon work for u

But for the main time

Do some other stuffs..
From there someone who sees ur enthusiasm can help u better.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Euegene100001: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2020
Another waste of time
correctyourself:
Go for your NYSC first, that will help to expose you and open your eyes to available opportunities and chances for you.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by bamdexfarms(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

Seems everyone is recommending Germany. Is their tuition free, living expenses etc. free?

Tuition in public universities is free. There are jobs for students too.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by WATCHOVER(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2020
Do a research and Start a business relating to your course of study. That will help to even develop your skills more, eventually grow to become a professional.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by EnterpriseMan: 12:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

Overtime, I have seen people on this forum address issues on/for/about people with 2.2 and 3rd class and advice them on what to do next, however neglecting the 2.1 and 1st class category.

As a recent graduate, the future looks bleak. I would like matured advice on the next step and how to move forward from here. As you know, every decision at this point is quite critical.

I graduated from Mechanical Engineering department. Engineering professionals, your views are welcome here please.

Start to hustle, Don't wait for a job.. you don't wanna become a slave to the society do you? start thinking of ways to make money for yourself, keep your certificate in ur box, because you won't be needing it.. Go to the business section and start thinking of ways to develop yourself.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by OgaBuhari: 12:53pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

congratulations bro.
Uniben faculty of Education no wan gree give us 2:1
They keep slashing our results

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Agugbadin: 12:55pm On Feb 08, 2020
SangoOlukosoOba:
Join a renowned occult. You won't regret it
Must you say something, can't you look the other way if you don't know what advice to give. If your younger relatives ask for advice or counseling in this regard is this the advice you will give
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by itu404(m): 12:57pm On Feb 08, 2020
Haba! you have a 2-1 and do not know what next? how u take get am then. Ability to think out solution in a dismal environment is the onus of a good education not the text book type. mean no insult, bros.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by franchasng: 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

congrats great SOMEC.

While you apply for multinational company jobs which usually recruit graduate trainees every year; shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, Saipem, Mantrac, Oil Test, Nestlé, NBC via one engineering agency like that, I think AETI, Guinness Diageo, etc, go to Google now and Google free masters degree in Finland, Norway, Sweden....It's free and will give you a good exposure.

South Korea is also running a free all expense sponsored scholarships for foreign graduates and it's an awesome opportunity that you will forever grateful to ever participate if you are finally selected.

Any undergraduate currently in 1St class or 2.1 should quote me for details because there is same opportunity for undergraduates.

My small firm never reach to employ more than 10 staffs I would have offered you a job to start life with

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by OBku4(m): 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2020
traihit:
Someone up there mentioned that the first question to ask yourself is 'what do you want to achieve in life...'
I think you should move from there. Do you want to be an engineer or you just want to work with your degree? Do you have passions for some other things aside engineering? If you have all the resources you need in the world today, where do you see yourself in 5-20 years? I think your answers to these questions WILL GIVE YOU A CLUE.
But honestly, whatever you plan to do, be prepared to sweat and stay in the mud to get it done. As long as you're ready to get dirty to achieve your goal (and I don't mean doing dirty things), you'll get there.
However, you have a long way to go if you've not found a sense of purpose, a motive that drives you to get the 2:1 honours the university is conferring on you.
Nice advice there! For me, all my drive is to make me a lot of money legally. ce fini
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by sterlingD(m): 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2020
Wiifesnatcher:
congrats Op but seek for Grace and let your grade complement it

my greatest mistake was not graduating from the street before going to school. my friends that graduated from the street, have all made it and they're now back to school with a standard financial status to complement their studies
street graduation first abeg

Well said this is the harsh truth and reality on ground

Offpoint:

The truth is that we were not told the truth the whole truth.We were been lied to.We were told to forget every other thing and focus squarely on book.The same trend is still on going now. Na so so book book book and nothing else.We ignored and threw out the window personal development which could really enrich us and prepare for the world after school.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 08, 2020
[quote author=seanwilliam post=86476499]I know the feelings bro.. like u go begin wonder what next to do..
My brotherly advice.. Dont try to further your education now.
1. Learn catering
2. Use the money to set up a betting shop
3. Start digital marketing
4. Start selling domains or drop shipping
5. Start data selling business
6. Buying and selling of stationeries
7. Start DJ work
8. Start shawarma business
9. Start pos shop
10. Start dry cleaning
11. Pull head together with your friends and set up pineapple, tomato and ugwu farm
12. Learn phone and laptop repairs
13. Start agent work in buying and selling of land
14. Learn graphics and set up foreign fiverr account
15. Start online clothing business , posting it on nairaland and WhatsApp
16. If you get better physic join bouncer
17. Open computer shop close to higher institution
19. Learn photography and make up
20.. HUSLE

I really took out my time to post this.. the bitter truth is looking for job without connexion is futile.. there is no harm in trying sha.. it is either you have connexion or extra value.. do any of the above to keep body and soul together..[/qu

My prayer is that too much sense doesnt kill you.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Ralphtayo: 1:02pm On Feb 08, 2020
Yahoo
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by adexpa(m): 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2020
The real race is about to begin. School is good, but you need real life practical n experience to make best of it. Be full of life n energies, be ready to sweat, be ready to have some sleepless night, be ready to always have deep thought on path to go, be ready to be a loner most of time to be able to talk to yourself n know where to go from here, be ready start cutting down on unnecessary expenses,be ready to read good books. I said all this because it is not always easy to quickly identify path to go, but with some of what I mentioned, you can get yourself aligned.
I studied mechanical engineering too but I am in business line now, I am even going through my MBA right now. Just be success determined.
Best of God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Hakeem12(m): 1:11pm On Feb 08, 2020
Mcslize:

What programming language can cater for all of that?
No single one though, I'm into data science, and I use Python and R
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by adexpa(m): 1:11pm On Feb 08, 2020
FrLukas:
What next ke?

So you mean you spent 5 years in school without a plan of what next?

Well, NYSC next.

And pray you get good placement.

That is what nearly everybody ended up with from our unguarded school setting that does not encourage us to think outside grade during our days in school. It takes successful parents to guide their children while in school.
God help us all.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything / Hijab: University Of Ibadan International School - Muslims Protest / Picture Of A Teacher Presenting A Pant To A Student As A Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.