Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? (34399 Views)

My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Tywo2018: 2:21pm On Feb 08, 2020
Wo bi arakurin leave that grade alone you understand look for alternative.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by farady(m): 2:22pm On Feb 08, 2020
OP, unfortunately the question you asked is what the school was meant to prepare you for. Ideally, after your 6months IT in year 4, you should know where you're going; working in the office as a design engineer or directing operations in a construction field (oil & gas etc) or a project engineer in a FMCG or buy & selling or getting skilled knowledge in mechanical repairs in order to set up a workshop etc etc.

However, since it's like this, the surest way is to ask God. I know you're a child of God. Ask the Holy Spirit to direct you. You may need to seek His face in prayers. If you can add fasting to it good. Note that the fact that you have 2:1 doesn't automatically open doors as some of your friends will think. You will soon discover that in 5 years life will throw up everyone in your class such that by that time, each person will be at different level. So much that to attain the level of some will require more than 10 years of hard work. So to avoid a journey of 5 years becoming 15 years, quietly go to the Author of your life in prayers. Let Him show you what He want you to do and the steps to take.

God be with you.

4 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 2:23pm On Feb 08, 2020
Why are people so unreasonable with their comments on this topic?

Someone came here for advice and some people are advising him to open a POS shop. If all engineering graduates open POS shops, what would be the future of engineering in Nigeria? Also, would he fell fulfilled in the next 10 years time?

My advise, find a way and obtain a masters degree in Engineering and give it a last shot. You don't want to spend your life wishing that you strived harder to achieve engineering roles.

I believe that for you to choose engineering initially, there is a predilection you have towards Engineering. It is a known fact that our country has failed it's graduates but aside that, if you are skilled in a particular area, there would be opportunities for you.

Those who want to open POS shops should go ahead. He needs engineering advice and if you don't have, kindly pass.

4 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 2:25pm On Feb 08, 2020
farady:
OP, unfortunately the question you asked is what the school was meant to prepare you for. Ideally, after your 6months IT in year 4, you should know where you're going; working in the office as a design engineer or directing operations in a construction field (oil & gas etc) or a project engineer in a FMCG or buy & selling or getting skilled knowledge in mechanical repairs in order to set up a workshop etc etc.

However, since it's like this, the surest way is to ask God. I know you're a child of God. Ask the Holy Spirit to direct you. You may need to seek His face in prayers. If you can add fasting to it good. Note that the fact that you have 2:1 doesn't automatically open doors as some of your friends will think. You will soon discover that in 5 years life will throw up everyone in your class such that by that time, each person will be at different level. So much that to attain the level of some will require more than 10 years of hard work. So to avoid a journey of 5 years becoming 15 years, quietly go to the Author of your life in prayers. Let Him show you what He want you to do and the steps to take.

God be with you.

This is a very good advice.

It pains me that nairaland is full of negative thinking people.

3 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by richiepolymer(m): 2:25pm On Feb 08, 2020
smiley
Oga I advice you to go and learn a skill asap. In our local parlance, go learn work and hide that worthless paper for now. I also have that same paper you're flaunting here grin from the same school several years back. The design and outlook hasn't changed though save for the signature on it.
I'm proud today knowing I'm an engineer with practical experience and not one that can be fooled by a mere road side mechanic.
Lastly, you can end up a caterer, programmer, showbiz organizer or anything you think off. Don't be stuck in the box at all.

princejayy:
Good day great intellectuals of Nairaland.

Overtime, I have seen people on this forum address issues on/for/about people with 2.2 and 3rd class and advice them on what to do next, however neglecting the 2.1 and 1st class category.

As a recent graduate, the future looks bleak. I would like matured advice on the next step and how to move forward from here. As you know, every decision at this point is quite critical.

I graduated from Mechanical Engineering department. Engineering professionals, your views are welcome here please.

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by makydebbie(f): 2:27pm On Feb 08, 2020
I really need to learn how GPA in Nigeria works.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by perxie: 2:32pm On Feb 08, 2020
gentle70:
Aren't you working already?
nah I just graduated
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Olukavitalis: 2:32pm On Feb 08, 2020
Join bokoharam
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by pjhyde: 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

Overtime, I have seen people on this forum address issues on/for/about people with 2.2 and 3rd class and advice them on what to do next, however neglecting the 2.1 and 1st class category.

As a recent graduate, the future looks bleak. I would like matured advice on the next step and how to move forward from here. As you know, every decision at this point is quite critical.

I graduated from Mechanical Engineering department. Engineering professionals, your views are welcome here please.
Its really sad brother. We heard stories of how our parents finished with similar grades and were handed fat pay jobs immediately they graduated. These stories spurred us to work very hard denying oneself of many pleasures in school plus plenty of extra curricular activities, only to graduate and discover a very different reality. You're not confused, it's just normal, I was once there.
Solution: pray, hustle, apply for jobs.
I'm benefited from the third. I got a federal government job without knowing anyone. We will all not be that lucky, just apply, have an open mind, you may just be lucky.
The other one I didn't do and I still feel bad about is to hustle. Bro, hustle, there is money on the street, no be yahoo o, legit money. You're a mechanical engineer, go learn the real thing from mechanic on the street or welder or refrigeration or generator, pick your option. In six months you should be proficient if you're truly smart...you have gotten skill. Go learn from is car section now, please correct me if I'm wrong, I hope you get, learn from YouTube....that way you will get latest info. Get tools.
With all these, you are armed to start your own business. Don't mind the days of humble beginning, you will succeed, if you are dedicated and honest. Your communication skill, your professional touch, yoir packaging will make the difference from the road side guys, and it will give you the edge. Your customers will be the upper class in the society and you will do good.
The journey may be rough, but you will surely get there.
In the interim, you will need money to get basic things, so learn dropshipping, publishing, domain selling, mini importation, any small thing that will not take to much of your time and will be able to sort your basic need and foot some of your running cost while you push to getting your goal.
Lastly and most importantly PRAY.
I hope this helps. I was almost suicidal after NYSC when i finished and everything was just zero, so I sort of understand you. Its well, you will be fine.
Nigeria will be great again!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Jaqenhghar: 2:34pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

Go and look for job in shell or one oil compnay. Thats how y'all roll in Niggeria. If I am to advice you, look for scholarship abroad. While studying for a masters explore other interesting things you might want to do. There is always work for a focused individual

1 Like

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2020
perxie:

nah I just graduated
What's your age and state of origin?
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Edipet(m): 2:41pm On Feb 08, 2020
franchasng:
congrats great SOMEC.

While you apply for multinational company jobs which usually recruit graduate trainees every year; shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, Saipem, Mantrac, Oil Test, Nestlé, NBC via one engineering agency like that, I think AETI, Guinness Diageo, etc, go to Google now and Google free masters degree in Finland, Norway, Sweden....It's free and will give you a good exposure.

South Korea is also running a free all expense sponsored scholarships for foreign graduates and it's an awesome opportunity that you will forever grateful to ever participate if you are finally selected.

Any undergraduate currently in 1St class or 2.1 should quote me for details because there is same opportunity for undergraduates.

My small firm never reach to employ more than 10 staffs I would have offered you a job to start life with
details please
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by criuze(m): 2:43pm On Feb 08, 2020
2metrelaurie:

Keep the certificate aside and hustle like a dropout

Street pays at least for starting,

Please I no talk yahoo yahoo

Legit street dey.

May God be your strength
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Knox123(m): 2:46pm On Feb 08, 2020
Mcslize:

What programming language can cater for all of that?

Python
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by correctyourself(m): 2:49pm On Feb 08, 2020
Euegene100001:
Another waste of time

How is it a waste of time, and what did you think you know immediately after university and how many can draft a memo or C.V, or how many has experience to input in their C.V? With your NYSC you get work experience to input, get to know things that you must know which was not thought while in the uni.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by OBku4(m): 2:51pm On Feb 08, 2020
traihit:

Then you should start calculating how much is the 'lot of money' you intend to make and how best to get it in a set time.
grin
10 - 100 of millions of Dollars legally
maybe Billions... but my capacity hasn't reached there cheesy
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Sergioaguero: 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2020
Na naija you go see a B.pharm pharmacist they work for chemist for one igbo man shop instead of to dey produce their own novel drugs... Tufia meanwhile... How to Farm Black Soldier Fly (BSF) for Catfish, Poultry, Swine and other Animal feeds. Complete practical Guide in PDF format.

To order for N500 only, call/whatsapp 0.8.1.3.8.5.7.0.1.8.4

Me too na scholar na hustle i dey hustle so.. Las las school na to belong, make e no be say you no go sch...

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by kcaller: 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

See your Yeye question..... na we go tell you Wetin you wan do with your life?..... Na small pikin de do you
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by abdullkabar(m): 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2020
The Op is into the grade(Grades are not that relevant here)
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by itsene: 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2020
Onwards to graduate school. Ph.D.while still focused.
So many technical problems out there requiring the sharpest minds.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by seanwilliam(m): 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2020
[quote author=ariefadenning post=86479597][/quote]

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Edipet(m): 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2020
pjhyde:

Its really sad brother. We heard stories of how our parents finished with similar grades and were handed fat pay jobs immediately they graduated. These stories spurred us to work very hard denying oneself of many pleasures in school plus plenty of extra curricular activities, only to graduate and discover a very different reality. You're not confused, it's just normal, I was once there.
Solution: pray, hustle, apply for jobs.
I'm benefited from the third. I got a federal government job without knowing anyone. We will all not be that lucky, just apply, have an open mind, you may just be lucky.
The other one I didn't do and I still feel bad about is to hustle. Bro, hustle, there is money on the street, no be yahoo o, legit money. You're a mechanical engineer, go learn the real thing from mechanic on the street or welder or refrigeration or generator, pick your option. In six months you should be proficient if you're truly smart...you have gotten skill. Go learn from is car section now, please correct me if I'm wrong, I hope you get, learn from YouTube....that way you will get latest info. Get tools.
With all these, you are armed to start your own business. Don't mind the days of humble beginning, you will succeed, if you are dedicated and honest. Your communication skill, your professional touch, yoir packaging will make the difference from the road side guys, and it will give you the edge. Your customers will be the upper class in the society and you will do good.
The journey may be rough, but you will surely get there.
In the interim, you will need money to get basic things, so learn dropshipping, publishing, domain selling, mini importation, any small thing that will not take to much of your time and will be able to sort your basic need and foot some of your running cost while you push to getting your goal.
Lastly and most importantly PRAY.
I hope this helps. I was almost suicidal after NYSC when i finished and everything was just zero, so I sort of understand you. Its well, you will be fine.
Nigeria will be great again!
thank you sir, I have learn from this too
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Edipet(m): 3:05pm On Feb 08, 2020
criuze:

Street pays at least for starting,
. Please I no talk yahoo yahoo
Legit street dey.

May God be your strength
which one please
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Tunex252(m): 3:05pm On Feb 08, 2020
I know someone who is a graduate just like you but the nigga is a driver, driving from ikorodun to oshodi...

Drop your certificate first and hustle like a drop out, while hustling use the money u have to open up a shop or to boost ur hand or buy equipment but while doing this, still dea try find work with ur certificate and if things no work out well just invest in ur hand work and hustle

In whatever u do just pray to it bro... God will bless your hustle
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by thesicilian: 3:05pm On Feb 08, 2020
Trojan8:

I think your post is rather harsh. I don't think he is totally oblivious of what he wants to achieve. Asking for input from others does not make him entirely clueless though.

To the OP, you should be looking at getting somewhere related to your course of study as an intern before and during service.
I'm sorry if he feels the the comment is harsh on him, but I will not hesitate to tell my own younger brother or sister the exact same thing. It is my opinion that one of the reasons our youths are now commiting suicide at the slightest excuses (like, my girlfriend left me, my friends laughed at me in school, I don't think I'm beautiful enough) is because they are being over pampered, treated as if the world owes them everything instead of teaching them the need to take their fate in their own hands at an early age.
I don't know how things got to this stage, but in my time the way it was then was, those who wanted to be a doctor went to medical school, lawyer studied law in school, and those who wanted to be accountants would choose accounting related courses. You already knew "what next" even before finishing secondary school. Even if you found yourself in a course you did want but was forced to do by JAMB or other circumstances, by the time you were through with the first year, you would have already taken the time to rearrange your life plans, not waiting till graduation to ask strangers what next!

2 Likes

Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by thesicilian: 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2020
ppogba:

Very good comment.

Questions like this are common on Nairaland and you tend to wonder if Nigerian youth even know why they went to school in the first instance.

One thing I know is, the moment a vulcanizer apprentice finishes his service, he knows the next thing for him is to go in search of a space by the road side. But for a Nigerian graduate MBA!.

The fact is only very few are still out of their NAPPY.
I couldn't agree more. I find it hard to believe that a full grown man would study a course for 4, 5yrs without knowing what he plans to do with it!
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Rahyberg(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2020
franchasng:
congrats great SOMEC.

While you apply for multinational company jobs which usually recruit graduate trainees every year; shell, ExxonMobil, Schlumberger, Saipem, Mantrac, Oil Test, Nestlé, NBC via one engineering agency like that, I think AETI, Guinness Diageo, etc, go to Google now and Google free masters degree in Finland, Norway, Sweden....It's free and will give you a good exposure.

South Korea is also running a free all expense sponsored scholarships for foreign graduates and it's an awesome opportunity that you will forever grateful to ever participate if you are finally selected.

Any undergraduate currently in 1St class or 2.1 should quote me for details because there is same opportunity for undergraduates.

My small firm never reach to employ more than 10 staffs I would have offered you a job to start life with

Sir, I'm a 300level Mechanical engineering student. I'll be pleased if you can help me out on the details.
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by kolaaderin: 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

NYSC is the next thing for sure. Now Your Struggles Continue !!!
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by Dollabiz: 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2020
Open a shop and start a biz that’s Naija for u
Re: After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? by greenskittles: 3:31pm On Feb 08, 2020
princejayy:

Option 1:
Study for the GRE and TOEFL
Ace the exams, and start applying to American schools. A killer statement of purpose and top scores will get you a scholarship and you're out of here, sset yourself up from there. If you need more advice on this check out the nairaland USA students thread.

Option 2:
Find a well,or at least decently paying job in Nigeria, learn some programming skills for extra income and figure out how to incorporate both your engineering and programming skills together. Learning to code in this era opens 10x more opportunities for you.

Option 3:
Find a contract job in a university, either as a graduate assistant or lab technician. Either:

-Build on this for a career in academia
-Use the free time this job affords you to study for the FE Mechanical Exam (international engineering licensing exam) and pass, then use an agent to find a job abroad.

I'm in the same shoes as you, though I graduated with a first class, in Civil Engineering, and I'm simultaneously pursuing all options I listed above until one "opens up". All the best.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Life Has Its Challenges But We Must Never Give Up PHOTO / 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything / Hijab: University Of Ibadan International School - Muslims Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.