Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Nigerian Academia In Diaspora - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (30515 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Nigerians In Diaspora Badmouth Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by DapoBear(m): 6:32am On Dec 14, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Doing science, especially in places such as Nigeria, is not for the financially lily-livered. The only science/engineering that requires relatively less investment is IT and computing stuff.
It is even worse with Life sciences because you cannot predict precisely how your bacteria, plants or human cells will behave under different conditions. Physical sciences such as Chemistry, Physics and Engineering are more predictable since their reactions are quite fixed: non-living things.

Not even just high variance (as your lilly-livered comment suggests), I imagine that it is going to be highly unprofitable. In the US, the federal government gives tons of grants. There is lots of existing infrastructure to support your endeavors. In Nigeria, nothing. You'll have to build it all from scratch. This raises your costs of business a lot. I doubt bioscience research is going to be profitable even if you invest enormous amounts of money. Simply no enabling environment.

Even chemistry and engineering to me seem suspect. Hard to do any real engineering without electricity. You could do some CAD stuff and then send your final designs to China to be manufactured. But not likely you could build advanced things in Nigeria at competitive prices.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by igbobuigbo: 6:36am On Dec 14, 2010
DapoBear:

Not even just high variance (as your lilly-livered comment suggests), I imagine that it is going to be highly unprofitable. In the US, the federal government gives tons of grants. There is lots of existing infrastructure to support your endeavors. In Nigeria, nothing. You'll have to build it all from scratch. This raises your costs of business a lot. I doubt bioscience research is going to be profitable even if you invest enormous amounts of money. Simply no enabling environment.

Even chemistry and engineering to me seem suspect. Hard to do any real engineering without electricity. You could do some CAD stuff and then send your final designs to China to be manufactured. But not likely you could build advanced things in Nigeria at competitive prices.

Sure. There is this Japan-based Nigerian professor from Bayelsa who is into pineapple improvement via tissue and cell culture. He established a lab in Calabar and made good progress supplying improved pineapples to several Nigerian States' agricultural programs and even some african countries. I forgot his name now so I cannot even google him up to see how the place is doing.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by igbobuigbo: 6:45am On Dec 14, 2010
I am looking at establishing a biofertilizer plant and using advocacy to, with time, drive chemical fertilizer companies in Nigeria out of business. I only need large bioreactors (and refrigerators to store my strains), in addition to electricity, staff and office/lab.
It is a two pronged thing: make money and save the environment from the harmful effects of chemical fertilizers
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by igbobuigbo: 7:23am On Dec 14, 2010
Adel Obaji, M.D.
University of Rochester
Clinical Assistant Professor - Department of Medicine
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/people/?u=27071311
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by igbobuigbo: 7:41am On Dec 14, 2010
Dr. Edward Asikele
Interim Dean
Professional Studies Division
Wilberforce University
http://www.wilberforce.edu/academics/aa/syllabi/Asikele_NE735.pdf
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by igbobuigbo: 7:44am On Dec 14, 2010
Patrick Anyalewechi
Professor of Psychology
Wilberforce University
http://www.wilberforce.edu/academics/aa/syllabi/Anyalewechi_PSY120.pdf
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Jarus(m): 9:28am On Dec 14, 2010
Just seeing this thread. A very good one from DK, one of the few Nairalanders that are at home in serious as well as playful discussions.

Most of the guys I know(or have come across in my reading) as very exceptional Nigerian Academia in Diaspora have been listed already. I just have a few comments

When someone asked for a Northerner, I was about digging out Abba Gumel when I read down to see somebody had listed him.

On Bolaji Aluko, I think, today, he is first a public affairs commentator before being an Engineer. His writings are on politics and economy these days.

Late Prof Awojobi was said to be a genius, a mechanical Engineer par excellence and a fierece social critic, but I'm not sure he qualifies in this context, if we recall that we are discussing Nigerian Academia in Diaspora.

Pius Adesanmi and Okey Ndibe are excellent writers - that's all. I'm not aware of their exceptional literary output. Ok, Pius won an Africa-wide poetry prize few months ago.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 9:30am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^^

What about the Modakeke guy that won the Pulitzer?
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by otumfour(m): 12:18pm On Dec 14, 2010
on the real, this thread goes to show how blessed Nigeria is, wit good Governance, y'all will go far

GOD BLESS GHANA & NIGERIA wink
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by dayokanu(m): 12:34pm On Dec 14, 2010
Jarus,

The ball is now in your court. You have to break these guys record, Its beyond me
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Princek12(m): 12:40pm On Dec 14, 2010
Philip Emeagwali

He invented the internet, the computer, the cell phone, the laptop, the universe, the sun, the moon, and the earth. He invented the osmosis reverse underling system, which is a mechanism the heart uses to pump blood to the brain (even though the heart has been pumping blood top the brain before Emeagwali was born), but let's take his word. he still invented it.

Emeagwali receive his PhD (player hater degree) from the school of hard knocks.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Jarus(m): 12:46pm On Dec 14, 2010
Princek12:

Philip Emeagwali

He invented the internet, the computer, the cell phone, the laptop, the universe, the sun, the moon, and the earth. He invented the osmosis reverse underling system, which is a mechanism the heart uses to pump blood to the brain (even though the heart has been pumping blood top the brain before Emeagwali was born), but let's take his word. he still invented it.

Emeagwali receive his PhD (player hater degree) from the school of hard knocks.

Bad boi.
Pls don't start grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@DK,
Emi ke? Ori ti fe ma dota o. Just hoping to go back to school.
Have you started your PHD?
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Princek12(m): 12:53pm On Dec 14, 2010
Jarus:

Bad boi.
Pls don't start  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@DK,

Are you asking me or someone else whether I have started my PhD?  Oops! You were talking to DK. My bad!
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by slap1(m): 1:40pm On Dec 14, 2010
strangerf:

^^^^

What about the Modakeke guy that won the Pulitzer?

You mean Dele Olojede? Wonderful writer, too. He won the Pulitzer for his piece 'Genocide Child', about the Rwandan genocide of 1994.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by shabbie(m): 1:42pm On Dec 14, 2010
Paul Olomolaiye,
Professor of Construction Engineering and Management,
Recently became  the Pro Vice-Chancellor and Executive Dean of the  large and vibrant Faculty of Environment and Technology at the University of West of England, Bristol, United Kingdom.
He holds a  PhD degree in Civil Engineering from Loughborough University
He worked briefly on a World Bank Project on completion of his PhD; and progressed to academia at the University of Wolverhampton where as  the Dean of Engineering and the Built Environment
He achieved significant year on year business growth through a motivating and vision-driven leadership.
Paul’s School at Wolverhampton led the regeneration drive aimed at advancing products and business practices of more than 3000 Engineering Companies and attracted funds in excess of £20million from Private Sector, Government and European Union to execute applied research projects which have helped to define Wolverhampton University as the regional leader in business interaction.  
With well published and on-going research and active knowledge transfer initiatives, Paul has developed specific expertise in Productivity and Performance enhancement strategies to the benefit of a number of Governments, Agencies, Charities, Companies and Institutions worldwide.

1st black dean and Pro-VC in UK I heard

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by slap1(m): 1:48pm On Dec 14, 2010
This is a very motivating thread, and kobojunkie is saying Nigerians should prove themselves capable of taking over from the expatriates. The government is just insupportive, that's all!
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by AjanleKoko: 1:59pm On Dec 14, 2010
Impressive, I guess. undecided

I think I'll go with Becomrich on this one grin
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 14, 2010
@dayokanu Most of these guys are in the field of Science and Engineering not African culture and Dance

What is wrong with studying African culture? Afterall, science and technology are products of culture! For your info, Africa is politically independent today courtesy of the field of humanities and social sciences!! Science is good but cannot exist without culture. Today,  Americans and Europeans are all over Africa researching on African culture while, Africans don't even value themselves and continue on the path of destruction in form of failed western-type political system,and technological transfer. Culture is the basis of any meaningful technological innovation. What are the contributions of all these (diaspora) scientists to Nigerian development? It is obvious, their knowledge can only be productive within the western cultural system. The African cultural system is rather more complex.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 14, 2010
@dayokanu Most of these guys are in the field of Science and Engineering not African culture and Dance

What is wrong with studying African culture? Afterall, science and technology are products of culture! For your info, Africa is politically independent today courtesy of the field of humanities and social sciences!! Science is good but cannot exist without culture. Today, Americans and Europeans are all over Africa researching on African culture while, Africans don't even value themselves and continue on the path of destruction in form of failed western-type political system,and technological transfer. Culture is the basis of any meaningful technological innovation. What are the contributions of all these (diaspora) scientists to Nigerian development? It is obvious, their knowledge can only be productive within the western cultural system. The African cultural system is rather more complex.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Cultured(m): 4:24pm On Dec 14, 2010
@Becomrich? , you had a sensible contribution there , kudos ! Knowledge ( academic certificates ) is good quite sure , but then, of what good is it if one has it and still lives in abject poverty ? Makes no sense to me . For all I care , the number of academic Laurel's one has does not matter , rather how productive ( economic-wise ) the Laurel holder is is the main thing . Wise up men .
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by dayokanu(m): 4:55pm On Dec 14, 2010
I dont agree with becomrich.

If its all about making money then who would be the ones to make advancement to the world?

Were Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Enrico Fermi, Pierre and Marie Curie Millionaires? Yet they touched more lives than ANY millionaire in history
Jarus:

@DK,

Ph What? I dey craze? No be my type dem dey find. Face Davidylan and co

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by TheOne2(m): 5:16pm On Dec 14, 2010
Can someone please post the details of that extremely smart computer scientist, Phillip Emeagwali.

I don't recall the school where he has tenure but I'm sure those of you guys in the US can help out here.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by slap1(m): 5:32pm On Dec 14, 2010
UCHE ORJI

Employment History

Managing Director, Global Semiconductor Research
      UBS AG
      Managing Director
      UBS AG
      Analyst
      J.P. Morgan & Co.
      Managing Director
      J.P. Morgan & Co.
      Semiconductor Analyst
      J.P. Morgan & Co.
      Portfolio Manager
      Goldman , Sachs & Co.
      Financia Controller
      DIAMOND BANK PLC
http://www.zoominfo.com/search#search/profile/person?personId=169150865&targetid=profile
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by MandingoII(m): 5:59pm On Dec 14, 2010
I noticed this list includes the Nigerians that were the First immigrants.

The NEW IMMIGRANTS are working-class and impoverished stiffs.

Besides, almost ALL nigerians want to be nurses.

WTF

Nigerians do not have a care ethic
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 6:42pm On Dec 14, 2010
MandingoII:

I noticed this list includes the Nigerians that were the First immigrants.

The NEW IMMIGRANTS are working-class and impoverished stiffs.
Besides, almost ALL nigerians want to be nurses.
WTF
Nigerians do not have a care ethic

Ode! Atleast they aspire to be something; FYI, there are more Nigerian engineers than there are nurses.

Almost every AA male of my street is a bum/ex-convict/lazy
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by CyberG: 6:58pm On Dec 14, 2010
Abeg. . .if I write my own here una go fear o! But respect to some of these "crazy" people! Ife is the BEST! grin grin Abeg, wey the woman pickins of this kind people? If any of una know one, I go like born the combination of Einstein, Bill Gates + the combined brain power of all the people una list for here! Na my own achievement go plenty pass! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 7:01pm On Dec 14, 2010
I actually think that UI graduates are doing way better than Ife peeps

BTW, I love Ife die!
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by agabaI23(m): 7:25pm On Dec 14, 2010
dayokanu:

Ph What? I dey craze? No be my type dem dey find. Face Davidylan and co
Why? The most average peeps and even peeps below average do it not to talk of smart ass like you.

Better go ahead and get it except it does not suit your career path.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by strangerf: 7:30pm On Dec 14, 2010
^^^

Person sey hin no good enough

You talk say make hin teri si

Naija people and thier stupit advice!
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by MandingoII(m): 7:34pm On Dec 14, 2010
Almost every AA male of my street is a bum/ex-convict/lazy

and every NIGERIAN i know is a SKILLED 419er, getting deported for identity theft.
Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by AjanleKoko: 7:34pm On Dec 14, 2010
dayokanu:

I dont agree with becomrich.

If its all about making money then who would be the ones to make advancement to the world?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Seriously, I think his point is, we need to start turning these kpalis to cash. Chinese folks have research scientists in Shenzen and Beijing turning out copies of Western technology, making serious cash for China. The Indian egg heads have built new glistering IT cities in Hyderabad and Bangalore, providing multitudes with employment, creating a whole new industry (outsourcing), despite a political system in the same kind of turmoil as Nigeria's. Yep, corruption and profligiacy, cronyism and nepotism plague India's politics as badly as in Nigeria.

Closer to home, we've got Phutuma Nhleko's MTN, Mo Ibrahim's Celtel, Strive Masiyawa's Econet, and Naguib Sawiris' Orascom. These guys were well-educated, in fact Mo Ibrahim founded MSI Cellular, a software research firm that is regarded as one of the pioneers of the GSM standard. He also ran BT's mobile research arm, and was technical director of BT mobile, up till the subsidiary was sold.

These chaps (Africans o!)  have successfully built multi-billion dollar companies in Africa. What are the enlightened Nigerian academics doing? Busy blaming the African weather, climate and the government, while working hard to pack on more Phds. Abeg we too get mouth.

Where are the pan-African entrepreneurs from Nigeria? Mo Ibrahim is from Sudan, Sawiris is not a friend of the Egyptian government, Strive Masiyawa sued the Zimbabwean government for 6 years before forcing them to issue him a GSM license (he even lives in exile in SA), and the owners of MTN are black South Africans, people we Nigerians like to yab.

Abeg I go with Becomrich, economic power is everything, at least for us in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Academia In Diaspora by Nchara: 8:01pm On Dec 14, 2010
Of all the folks listed there only three (to the best of my knowledge) have managed to turn their brain into money/development in Nigeria
1. Bart Nnaji of geometric power
2. Ndubuisi Ekekwe of Afrit/Ovim PC
3. Manny Aniebonam of Afrihub

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Governors Move To Hijack PDP From Jonathan / Nigeria, Now A Research Field For Corruption? / ‘Trader Moni’ Beneficiaries Unwilling To Repay Loans –NSIP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.