Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam (299438 Views)

I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... / Breathtaking Bridge In Vietnam Looks Like Something From Lord Of The Rings(Pics) / My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (115) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by bro1010: 7:19pm On May 16, 2020
WhyNa:

I have already answered these questiions before in details/

1. Yes I did. No it wasn't. I didn't take the job sha. Glad I didn't

2. Hmm. This question is somehow. The agent does whatever you discuss and agree with him. From visa alone to visa and work permit, to visa, work permit and job and even certificates (shey you jasi?)

3. See 2 above

4. Lol. Why else would I go there. It happened as stated

5. It depends on you. If you work full time or part time and if you work in a school or a center or both. The least you can be offered is $800 with accomodation and it's mostly in a somewhat rural area. That was the kind of job I was offered. It was full time to and thankfully, I didn't take it. You should expect to make from $1000-2000 but remember, it depends on you.

6. I'm sure if you read through the thread, you would see some of the costs stated there. I have started forgetting some. A good estimate is 2M and no you won't use it all up. I stated this before too

I really enjoy the way you break this stuff down, it can be hard trying to digest these things especially for some of us with little experience with travelling stuff. I would love it if you can refer an agent that you know of or give us a guideline on where to find agents and how to vet them because that is the stage i am now.

I have every document ready, just preparing for the IELTS which i noticed is the new criteria. I understand if you do not want to refer an agent to the public. Here is my email eves4love@gmail.com, i will really appreciate it if you can refer me an agent or direct me on how to go about it successfully, I will surely use my head with prayer to select a better agent.
Thank you and do have a nice day.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Savagethe21st(m): 7:28pm On May 16, 2020
Hadampson:
Good to see a new thread on another country. Tired of seeing threads on USA, Canada, Australia, Turkey etc.

I have heard many good reviews about the country. I wish you good luck in Vietnam boss

Please don't mind the trolls and some ignorant people. Remember this is nairaland

We look forward to seeing beautiful pictures of Hanoi wink please don't keep us (picture lovers) waiting cheesy

i thought u were in for germany

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Gentlerespect76: 8:29pm On May 16, 2020
WhyNa:

Yes contacting a language school is another way. Don't know much about it but the one I cntacted then when I was in Nigeria doesn't help with visa. I think there is another one that includes visa cost, accomodation and feeding but it's damn expensive. I honestly don't know if they accept Nigerians and the possibility of the job placement. Understand that it can be a market strategy cos once you're here, you get a job anyway with or without them especially if you're white. Get the drift?

You can type your questions here or mail me and I'll get to it once I'm free

Edit: The easiest way to come here is to get a relaible agent. It's cheaper than the language school if they accept you

Thanks a bunch! God bless. I believe that nothing is impossible for a willing soul, aided by divine favour. Will contact you further.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by amaridigital(m): 8:52pm On May 16, 2020
WhyNa:

Sorry. I know it's been a while but nothing much is happening right now.

Hanoi went into a 15 day lockdown and we're in day 9.

The government does a good job at curtailing, tracking and giving info here. Every morning, we receive either utext message or update on Zalo on measures and all

There's also an app where you can see the new numbers of infected and cured people and areas at risk and declare your health status

If a person tests positive, in less than 24 hours, the government releases a statement of all the places the person has been in the last 2 weeks and where possible, specific times. if you were in those areas, you'll be asked to self quarantine first and give update if anything changes. If they were on a flight, flight number and seat number is given sef

Disinfection and lockdown of those areas is also prompt.

One good thing about the lockdown is the markets are still very open and prices are normal. Pharmacies, banks, fuel stations, supermarkets, factories, etc are open but with certain rules. You can still take a walk to stretch you legs and all

Job-wise, we teaching online for those who have online students. Some landlords have been kind enough to either reduce rent or ask you to pay a certain amount and balance up after the virus. Mine reduced my electricity and light bill for the month of March.

Now is the best time to learn or do something you've been wanting to do eg learn a new language, learn to cook a new dish, etc

Light and internet is constant. Internet is free so you can watch loads of movies and play games and have access to loads of information.

We just praying everything gets back to normal soonest

Whao Vietnam has really changed. No one ever expected Vietnam to rise like this after the war. The Americans call it the Vietnam war but the Vietnamese call it the American war. I was there in the year 2001 returning from New Zealand after few days in Singapore and Bangkok Thailand. Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) was a bustling city then and i took a trip to Da Nang privince. The escursion was organized by Saigon Tourist- a big tour company in Vietnam. It was real fun because Vietnam has several UNESCO designated world heritage sites. Vietnamese are extremely friendly people and they are even better than the Thais and the Chinese when it comes to accepting people of color. I enjoyed their coffee a lot.
I will advice some of the guys here wasting their time and resources applying for EU or Canadian tourist visas to consider teaching English in Vietnam if qualified. You will be surprised how easy it will be to secure that American visa during school holidays but i bet you orientation would have changed by then because you are earning money in a country where things work. The average monthly income of $1200-2000 depending on teaching experience will go a long way and allow some savings because Vietnam is darm too cheap to live. You can also do side hustle like affiliate marketing, MLM, Crypto trading because internet is fast and almost free everywhere. Electricity was constant even when I was there 19 years ago. Apart from Rice production, Vietnam is home to the best American clothing brands and shoes manufacturing firms and you get these at dirt cheap prices. All in all, a very good place to live. Note, You don't have any business in Vietnam if you can't teach or you are not into online business or else you will be tempted to go into drug or fraud. Remember that Vietnam is not Australia or US where you can expect to work part time as a student except you can go for home or part time language tutoring or better still, earn some legitimate money online. Vietnam shares a land border with China and there is train service from Vietnam to China. Chinese visa used to cost $100 then and you get it same day using accredited travel agents in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by SpeciallyUnique(m): 6:25am On May 17, 2020
STILL PLEADING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE VIETNAMESE EMBASSY IN ABUJA, IS IT CURRENTLY OPERATING??

THANK YOU

SpeciallyUnique:
I would like to know if the vietnam embassy in Nigeria is opened or closed due to the lockdown.

Kindly help me if you have any info.

Thanks in advance!!
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 8:34am On May 17, 2020
SpeciallyUnique:
STILL PLEADING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE VIETNAMESE EMBASSY IN ABUJA, IS IT CURRENTLY OPERATING??

THANK YOU

I'm sorry I have no idea. There's a Nairalander I'm currently helping who said he was in touch with the embassy. I'll ask and post the feedback here...if he doesn't see this first

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by James4bright(m): 10:17am On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

I'm sorry I have no idea. There's a Nairalander I'm currently helping who said he was in touch with the embassy. I'll ask and post the feedback here...if he doesn't see this first

Please, inspire us with little updates na even pictures. Lol
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:11am On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

Speciallyunique yes they are open

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:13am On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

Please, inspire us with little updates na even pictures. Lol

Lol. I understand. It's more difficult taking pictures these days cos I drive around now. But I'll try to take some this week
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by James4bright(m): 11:17am On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

Lol. I understand. It's more difficult taking pictures these days cos I drive around now. But I'll try to take some this week

I thought you were trying to learn how to ride a bike then. You bought a car too?

Can't wait to see some aesthetic Vietnamese pics.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Mizwisdom(f): 11:18am On May 17, 2020
To add to what Whyna has said, here are some good and bad about Vietnam

1) Fraud

2) Packaged tour (fake travel tours
companies)

3) Stolen lauggage in Airports

4) Be careful when crossing streets in Vietnam

5) Traffic accidents are number one cause of tourist deaths

6) Taxi scam (you should know this one)

7) Robbery

) Pick pockets

9) Unsafe food hygiene

10) Over payment for goods

11) Bad service

12) Air pollution

Good things

1) Cheap food

2) Motor bikes

3) Friendly people

4) Markets

6) Good for business

7) They love children

cool Fashion

9) Teachers are respected

10) They are not hostile

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:56am On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

I thought you were trying to learn how to ride a bike then. You bought a car too?

Can't wait to see some aesthetic Vietnamese pics.

Lmao. I didn't buy a car oo. I meant driving my bike which right now is cooler than driving a car.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 12:04pm On May 17, 2020
Mizwisdom:
To add to what Whyna has said, here are some good and bad about Vietnam

1) Fraud

2) Packaged tour (fake travel tours
companies)

3) Stolen lauggage in Airports

4) Be careful when crossing streets in Vietnam

5) Traffic accidents are number one cause of tourist deaths

6) Taxi scam (you should know this one)

7) Robbery

) Pick pockets

9) Unsafe food hygiene

10) Over payment for goods

11) Bad service

12) Air pollution

Good things

1) Cheap food

2) Motor bikes

3) Friendly people

4) Markets

6) Good for business

7) They love children

cool Fashion

9) Teachers are respected

10) They are not hostile

Wow!

Number 4 in the bad list is spot-on! I was terrified when I just got here. Guess I forgot all about that after I started riding my bike.You don't wait for vehicles to cross the road, you cross right in the middle and they will dodge you. Once you start walking, DON'T STOP!

Number 10 is also true. They see foreigners, the hype price. Sha show them you're a Naija breed. This happens mostly in the local markets. I did the price at 2 different places then buy at the 3rd place when I just got here. You'll eventually get to know the prices of things cos they sell per kg here.

I haven't witnessed all the other ones. I've watched videos where the Whites in Tay Ho complain about pick pockets but never seen it.

I don't pray to encounter any. Haven't seen anyone it happened to too

If you're here, please holla. Let's do some egg coffee �

Edit:
11...could you explain further?

12. This is one thing I've been hearing about but haven't experienced too since they say it's worse in Hanoi. Compared to the fumes from exhaust pipes of bikes and cars I used to inhale strongly in Lagos, I haven't experienced such here. Maybe the time hasn't come but I'll write about it once I experience it. Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by James4bright(m): 12:14pm On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

Lmao. I didn't buy a car oo. I meant driving my bike which right now is cooler than driving a car.

I was baffled right there. I was beginning to think cars over there are very affordable. Maybe you skipped purchasing the bike and bought a car rather.

Praise Zeus, you didn't break your legs while learning to ride a bike.

Ever felt like you'd become terrible at English the more you reside with non-english speakers?

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by u3fine(m): 12:42pm On May 17, 2020
I learnt with effect from June 2020, to teach English in Vietnam requires:
TEFL, B.Ed (English) or degree with PGDE, IELTS (Minimum of 7band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYtV0KVkvU

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 12:50pm On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

I was baffled right there. I was beginning to think cars over there are very affordable. Maybe you skipped purchasing the bike and bought a car rather.

Ever felt like you'd become terrible at English the more you reside with non-english speakers?

No I don't think so. I have friends from different countries and I see them regularly. My church is also an international church with lots of activities going on during the week so I'm good

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 12:52pm On May 17, 2020
u3fine:
I learnt with effect from June 2020, to teach English in Vietnam requires:
TEFL, B.Ed (English) or degree with PGDE, IELTS (Minimum of 7band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYtV0KVkvU

I heard this too. Don't know how strict it would be though. I'm certain of the degree and TEFL
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 12:54pm On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:
Random advice and input.....

In additiion to what I already metioned in previous pages...

1. Use your airline kg well. Bring your essentials....

2. Compared to the income a month, you can survive on 40,000 naira a month or 60,000 if you drink and party. If you pay for accomodation, budget an extra 80,000 for something decent. By month end, you'll have much more than enough savings. Nothing less than $600

3. Vietnam is a tourist country. I haven't visited some places yet but you can go on vacations within Vietnam and have a swell time with beautiful memories

4. When you become friends with a Vietnamese family, you automatically become a family friend. They would randomly give you stuff to take home on each visit and almost always invite you over for lunch or dinner

5. Lunch is by 11am here. Lol

6. The school and teaching system is waaaayy different here. While we start with alphabets and then proceed to 2 letter words, the 3 and all that, They jump that. So it's common to see students who can read and write but can't speak and understand. It's even more amazing when you find an 8 year old who can read out words like computer, purple, rainbow but can't read simple words like The, If, Girl.......Cramming at work is my best guess. Those big words are learnt first mostly under vocabulary and pronouciation.

7. When you sign contracts here, accomodation or so, try to sign for 3 months irst. I'll be moving to new apartment. Cheaper and better.

8. Don't attempt to cook rice with pot here. It will burn and be undercooked. If your apartment doesn't have a rice cooker, it should be in your list of first things to buy

I'm still learning everyday and seeing things. Lol. If you want to teach here, also be ready to play games, be lively and fun and be a clown if you work with children

U are already settling in..rice cooker all the way grin
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 1:07pm On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

Wow!

Number 4 in the bad list is spot-on! I was terrified when I just got here. Guess I forgot all about that after I started riding my bike.You don't wait for vehicles to cross the road, you cross right in the middle and they will dodge you. Once you start walking, DON'T STOP!

Number 10 is also true. They see foreigners, the hype price. Sha show them you're a Naija breed. This happens mostly in the local markets. I did the price at 2 different places then buy at the 3rd place when I just got here. You'll eventually get to know the prices of things cos they sell per kg here.

I haven't witnessed all the other ones. I've watched videos where the Whites in Tay Ho complain about pick pockets but never seen it.

Edit:

12. This is one thing I've been hearing about but haven't experienced too since they say it's worse in Hanoi. Compared to the fumes from exhaust pipes of bikes and cars I used to inhale strongly in Lagos, I haven't experienced such here. Maybe the time hasn't come but I'll write about it once I experience it. Lol

On pick pocketing..oshodi guys are learning when it comes to that in Hanoi...especially in buses and crowded areas...could remember back then after been warned by our orientation guide abt pick pocketing..we all laughed that we be naija guys..notin fit happen, at the long run after a month..me and my guys are on our way to class in bus 44 and when we got to class they removed laptop and charger from my guys bag pack..that was when I tuale for them..dem be boss for that lane grin

13 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 1:17pm On May 17, 2020
Tyteeso:

On pick pocketing..oshodi guys are learning when it comes to that in Hanoi...especially in buses and crowded areas...could remember back then after been warned by our orientation guide abt pick pocketing..we all laughed that we be naija guys..notin fit happen, at the long run after a month..me and my guys are on our way to class in bus 44 and when we got to class they removed laptop and charger from my guys bag pack..that was when I tuale for them..dem be boss for that lane grin

Wawu
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 1:18pm On May 17, 2020
Tyteeso:

U are already settling in..rice cooker all the way grin
After chopping undercooked rice, no be person tell me to ask questions

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 1:18pm On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

Cars over there is 100% tax..so most can't afford to buy a car..it's was there govt policy to reduce so much cars on the road..more so new bikes like vespa there can buy a tokunbo Camry here in naija with the cost..English get affected one way or the other if u have more Vietnamese friends cos u will wanna speak for them to understand..cos even in language we av vietnamese English..the one I know they all say is putting "come" to replace "go"...lolz..they will say in sentence " tomorrow I come hometown" simply telling u they are going to their hometown tomorrow..but very lovely pple tho...most my guys there are marrying Vietnamese now

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 1:19pm On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

After chopping undercooked rice, no be person tell me to ask questions
Lolz we all enter that trap of using gas..but Rice cooker to the rescue...u suppose to av meet naija peeps..shey na HIF church u dey go?

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 1:23pm On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

Wawu
I tell u.. grin
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by James4bright(m): 1:31pm On May 17, 2020
Tyteeso:

Cars over there is 100% tax..so most can't afford to buy a car..it's was there govt policy to reduce so much cars on the road..more so new bikes like vespa there can buy a tokunbo Camry here in naija with the cost..English get affected one way or the other if u have more Vietnamese friends cos u will wanna speak for them to understand..cos even in language we av vietnamese English..the one I know they all say is putting "come" to replace "go"...lolz..they will say in sentence " tomorrow I come hometown" simply telling u they are going to their hometown tomorrow..but very lovely pple tho...most my guys there are marrying Vietnamese now

Very informative.

Lovely people you say? Until they start mistreating blacks just the same way the Chinese are acting. There must be a slight level of hostility they exhibit with blacks.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Mizwisdom(f): 1:36pm On May 17, 2020
WhyNa:

Wow!

Edit:

I will send you a pm.

About the bad service, it's based on their lack of skill in English so communication can be difficult. Seems you have not experienced it?
Their language is hard to learn, as one word might mean 5 different things, depending on how you pronounce it

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Mizwisdom(f): 1:42pm On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

Very informative.

Lovely people you say? Until they start mistreating blacks just the same way the Chinese are acting. There must be a slight level of hostility they exhibit with blacks.

You're right. They can touch your hair without excuse, they can touch your skin to check if it stains cloth. Also they like Whites. Any where you see white or yellow skin there must be racism. It's also easier for White people to get teaching jobs or any jobs than blacks. However they are still better than Chinese people in terms of racism

10 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 1:46pm On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

Very informative.

Lolz...even in African countries some pple still treat others as shit..so it's everywhere..and even in Vietnam then some will run away when they see us coming..cos they av not seen blacks b4, some call us monkeys but 90% of Vietnamese are nice..they may be scared of u at first or when u behave strange..u know as naija be nah, like when we are in the bus and I am tired of standing and I see someone feeling anyhow..u can know that when u are close to them they will cover there nose as if u are smelling..then I move closer to such person sitting within minutes he/she will stand up to move away from u and me I jejely sit down on the sit.. grin more so in the morning when we are going to class and the elevator is full and we are late, the elevator opens we enter like that and b4 u know it half of the Vietnamese will run out of it..some don't like u and some knows that the elevator may hang on the way when it's overfull.. So they run out grin

16 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 1:51pm On May 17, 2020
Mizwisdom:

You're right. They can touch your hair without excuse, they can touch your skin to check if it stains cloth. Also they like Whites. Any where you see white or yellow skin there must be racism. It's also easier for White people to get teaching jobs or any jobs than blacks. However they are still better than Chinese people in terms of racism

Lolz...u don enter bus from bus station well..some may even insert bro or pencil to ur hair and when it holds it..they all get amazed and laugh..naijas are always a superstar in any gathering..at big C from the entrance till we finish shopping na celebrity we be..girlfriend don give boyfriend fone to snap with me cos of my native dress..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by James4bright(m): 2:12pm On May 17, 2020
Tyteeso:

Lolz...even in African countries some pple still treat others as shit..so it's everywhere..and even in Vietnam then some will run away when they see us coming..cos they av not seen blacks b4, some call us monkeys but 90% of Vietnamese are nice..they may be scared of u at first or when u behave strange..u know as naija be nah, like when we are in the bus and I am tired of standing and I see someone feeling anyhow..u can know that when u are close to them they will cover there nose as if u are smelling..then I move closer to such person sitting within minutes he/she will stand up to move away from u and me I jejely sit down on the sit.. grin more so in the morning when we are going to class and the elevator is full and we are late, the elevator opens we enter like that and b4 u know it half of the Vietnamese will run out of it..some don't like u and some knows that the elevator may hang on the way when it's overfull.. So they run out grin

I've seen pictures of Asians covering their nose while sitting close to blacks before though.

I just told someone about this your tale just now, and he couldn't stop laughing. Omo nor be small thing oh.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by James4bright(m): 2:21pm On May 17, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Don't be impressed they wanted to take a picture with you on your native outfit.

They must have seen you as one clown parading in a weird outfit. Lol.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Tyteeso(m): 3:21pm On May 17, 2020
James4bright:

I've seen pictures of Asians covering their nose while sitting close to blacks before though.

I just told someone about this your tale just now, and he couldn't stop laughing. Omo nor be small thing oh.

grin grin

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (115) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.