Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,784 members, 7,820,746 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! (8410 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: Pa Buhari Falls Sick: Cancels Campaign In Benin. / Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward / Hon. Obahiagbon Again! This Time On Pa Enahoro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by chelseabmw(m): 11:08pm On Dec 15, 2010
r . i .p papa
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by binhozie(m): 11:39pm On Dec 15, 2010
Its not for me to say whether he will RIP or not
I really dont care
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by NAJALYN: 11:43pm On Dec 15, 2010
What a loss to the Nation! Pa Enahoro was one of those who fought for Nigeria's Independence. He was a true Nigerian, a statesman, an icon. Please let us bury the hatchet & give our last respect to this great & illustrious son of Nigeria. There is no one who is free from mistakes. May his soul rest in perfect peace, Amen. I commiserate with his family.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by HighChief4(m): 11:59pm On Dec 15, 2010
NAJALYN:

What a loss to the Nation! Pa Enahoro was one of those who fought for Nigeria's Independence. He was a true Nigerian, a statesman, an icon. Please let us bury the hatchet & give our last respect to this great & illustrious son of Nigeria. There is no one who is free from mistakes. May his soul rest in perfect peace, Amen. I commiserate with his family.

His past evil deeds mistakes contributed immensely to the mess we call Nigeria today.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by vicenzo(m): 12:16am On Dec 16, 2010
They are dying one by one but ikemba lives,come on lets be truthful for once,this man left no legacy,even the first independence motion he was said to have moved is arguable,hate and jealousy made him so blind to see that the one he was hurting during biafra war was himself,he spent the rest of his life fighting for the same thing he fought against,today nigerians are praising him,but was he praising nigeria before he died,i dont know whether to tell him goodnight or like ojukwu would say "GOODMORNING"
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by ibrokay(m): 12:32am On Dec 16, 2010
Adieu Papa.
May his soul rest in perfect peace.Amin
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by Uchek(m): 3:02am On Dec 16, 2010
He died a frustrated, bitter and regretful man. He did great for Nigeria. His greatest legacy to Nigeria was if he, instead of joining the North against Biafra, had asked for the same SNC he is asking now during the Biafran Crisis.

Ojukwu would live to see all the Southern fools who fought against his ideals for Nigeria. Biafra still lives, otherwise Enahoro would not be asking for SNC. Nigeria's condition after 50 years of Independence and 40 years after Biafra it is real.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by aljharem(m): 3:09am On Dec 16, 2010
Uchek:

He died a frustrated, bitter and regretful man. He did great for Nigeria. His greatest legacy to Nigeria was if he, instead of joining the North against Biafra, had asked for the same SNC he is asking now during the Biafran Crisis.

Ojukwu would live to see all the Southern fools who fought against his ideals for Nigeria. Biafra still lives, otherwise Enahoro would not be asking for SNC. Nigeria's condition after 50 years of Independence and 40 years after Biafra it is real.
vicenzo:

They are dying one by one but ikemba lives,come on lets be truthful for once,this man left no legacy,even the first independence motion he was said to have moved is arguable,hate and jealousy made him so blind to see that the one he was hurting during biafra war was himself,he spent the rest of his life fighting for the same thing he fought against,today nigerians are praising him,but was he praising nigeria before he died,i dont know whether to tell him goodnight or like ojukwu would say "GOODMORNING"

and ojukwu who still live on, beg for pension from nigeria

this same ojukwu said "i am a nigerian and will always be"

this same ojukwu wants to be nigerian president

i laugh at my igbo brothers at times
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by mensdept: 4:33am On Dec 16, 2010
^^^^ Sounds like a cheap shot

The same northerners who were making noise to secede, but under the directive of Queen ELIZA THE GREAT, changed route and were led by her magnificence to retain her colony as "One Nigeria".

The same north that says they are Nigerian, but that Sharia law and Arab inscription on the Naira (though they are not official languages of Naija) is supreme.

So if trouble some Igbo people are saying they are Biafran and then now Nigerian, then Holy Holy Hausa people who have been sharia-rized can then come and return to being Nigerian-ized
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by Pifa: 7:02am On Dec 16, 2010
Was the deceased related to one Peter Enahoro who was a newscaster with the television station in Lagos back in the late 70s? I remember watching Peter on TV when I was a child in Lagos.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by bababuff(m): 7:45am On Dec 16, 2010
There goes another champion of democracy.  cry

R.I.P.

Aluta continua.  angry angry angry
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by vicenzo(m): 7:55am On Dec 16, 2010
Alj harlot, mechie onu,ewu awusa,nobody has contributed to nigeria  more than ndi igbo(ojukwu inclusive),they are always the second population after the indigenes,what have ur leaders who shout one nigeria done for nigeria,liabilities like ibb,abacha,shagaria brought us to where we are in nigeria today.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by strangerf: 7:59am On Dec 16, 2010
^^^^

With that attitude, we will never allow you to become president!
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by haboosa(m): 9:34am On Dec 16, 2010
ADIEU PA ANTHONY EROMOSELE ENAHORO , the politicians of today should imbibe the teachings of the Old man. cry cry cry, The Labour of our Heroes past shall never be in vain. cry cry
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by rabzy: 9:45am On Dec 16, 2010
For me its always good to look into the past and see what happened and how things could have been different if some actions were taken.
Atrocities were committed. i really want to get as much details as i can from whatever information is still available.

Am from the same place as Enahoro, my mother-in-law is from Avu in Imo state, i have stayed in the west all my life, and my xtian beliefs asks me to be totally detribalized.

Errors were committed by all sides in war, i have heard stories told to me by my mother-in-law of rapes (her sister was forcefully taken by Nigerian soldiers), murders etc, People from calabar, port-harcourt and Akwa-ibom have also told stories of how Igbos have committed crimes against their people and they saw the war as a war of liberation.

My mother's village in Ekpoma was occupied by Biafran soldiers, and rapes and raiding also occurred. We can't just be bitter forever, War does not determine who is right but who is left, and those of us that are left should be objective, discuss issues dispassionately, even if we discuss with passion, strive to remove bitterness and put ourselves in the other's shoes. Doing this could help in cushioning our hurt feelings.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by HighChief4(m): 9:48am On Dec 16, 2010
strangerf:

^^^^

With that attitude, we will never allow you to become president!

And you think that the greatest priority of an Igbo man is to become Nigerian president? BTW, I always laugh whenever I see Yorubas thinking they are in the same accord with the Northerners, the earlier you guys realize that the better for you because OBJ(who the Northerners forced on u) might be the last you will get. SMH
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by strangerf: 9:53am On Dec 16, 2010
High_Chief:

And you think that the greatest priority of an Igbo man is to become Nigerian president? BTW, I always laugh whenever I see Yorubas thinking they are in the same accord with the Northerners, the earlier you guys realize that the better for you because OBJ(who the Northerners forced on u) might be the last you will get. SMH

Ok ooooo

At least we produced OBJ

When was the last time an Igboman ruled Nigeria?

The answer is

The answer is in my next post
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by strangerf: 9:55am On Dec 16, 2010
Never
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 16, 2010
bababuff:

There goes another champion of democracy.  cry

R.I.P.

Aluta continua.  angry angry angry
who are the people to continue the aluta ? atiku,ibb,jonathan ?  embarassed kiss angry shocked
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by strangerf: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2010
^^^
Forgot to add GEJ, Tinubu, Alams, Odili, Abubakar Saraki, Obiaghon?
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 16, 2010
strangerf:

^^^
Forgot to add GEJ, Tinubu, Alams, Odili, Abubakar Saraki[b], Obiaghon?[/b]
shocked grin grin shocked

atleast the guy will be remembered for his political grammars
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by rabzy: 10:56am On Dec 16, 2010
vicenzo:

This would be true if all he did in his life was to attend that meeting and move a motion, maybe you should read more about him and see why a lot of people believed he left a legacy.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by hildaa(f): 11:20am On Dec 16, 2010
r.i.p
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by revolt(m): 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2010
A lot of people here don't even know anything about him. Dem say debateurs. Yes enahoro was an early nationalist but do u not know that today our enemies are those that scuttled the qburi accord. Just for bigotry sake. He knew he had made a fatal mistake later when he was older but what amazes me is that young ojukwu saw what supposed great leaders zik inclusive couldn't see. And please could aldharem or wateva stop defending the starvation policy. For those that say we should move on, if babangidas sins could not be forgiven then awolowo adekunle enahoro saro wiwa Clarke etc should never be forgiven or considered heroes. I think they did more harm to us than ibb. For a start we wouldn't have had all these generals. Abeg make e go rest in peace Jare e try well well.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by otukpo(f): 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2010
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by okunoba(m): 1:04pm On Dec 16, 2010
@ CHOSENO4 AND UDEZUE,
Extreme bitterness can block reason. I believe u guys are too bitter to be objective when talking about the pain of Biafra. The food blockade was not used to starve children but as a tool to stop Biafran leaders from fighting, so as to prevent the loss of more lives. If these leaders had stopped fighting when they ran out of food no child would have starved to death. But instead of stopping, they decided the best way was to carry on fighting while the young and vulnerable starved to death.

When America dropped the atomic bomb on Japan and over 200,000 people were burnt to death, this made Japan surrender and the leader that took them to war did the honerable thing by committing suicide. This brave act by the Japanese Emperor  prevented the death of many more innocent lives. Japan too could have carried on figting like Ojukwu did, until millions more were killed.

Ojukwu should have done the honorable thing like the Emperor to save the innocent, but instead he chose to carry on fighting at the expense of starving Ndiigbo children and then ran away to save himself when the net was closing in on him. If anyone is to blame, please blame Ojukwu. We have to start taking responsibility 4 our actions.

RIP Pa Enahoro
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by Dgunnerz(m): 1:08pm On Dec 16, 2010
A life worthy of emulation.

Rest In PEACE Grand Pa.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by Dede1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 16, 2010
With bunch of uncivilized Nigerians holding sway in writing essays born out of their inarticulate minds such as the political encomiums heaped on Anthony Enahoro on this forum, there is no doubt Nigeria is headed to self-destruction.

Anthony Enahoro vehemently opposed the creation of Mid-western region in the 60s. He was the original anchor of the phrase “if starvation is a weapon of war, Nigeria shall use it against Biafra”. I wasted not time to inform him in Washington, DC while he was trying to amend certain political blunders of yesteryears that he was better dead than alive because his previous political exploits were foolhardy.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by lightwall: 1:20pm On Dec 16, 2010
A great lose, R.I.P.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by vicenzo(m): 1:32pm On Dec 16, 2010
Look at some people talking about producing nigeria president as if it has improved their miserable lives.Despite losing the war,most of the cities destroyed,starting life anew with only 20 pounds,every available statstics shows that ndi igbo have the lowest poverty rate in this geographical expression,with or without the president,ndi igbo will always excel,its in us to do so.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by PhysicsQED(m): 1:46pm On Dec 16, 2010
Pifa:

Was the deceased related to one Peter Enahoro who was a newscaster with the television station in Lagos back in the late 70s? I remember watching Peter on TV when I was a child in Lagos.

Not likely. If this Peter Enahoro is the historically relevant journalist then this Peter Enahoro, aka "Peter Pan" was pro-Biafran/pro-East and anti-North and left Nigeria during the war out of anger (or possibly government persecution).

Onlytruth:
I will post a comment by a reader from Next website http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5654169-146/anthony_enahoro_dies_at_87_.csp:

"He will be remembered for the blood he helped spill in BIAFRA,this man was sent as head of Nigerian delegation to negotiate a cessation of hostilities in Addis Ababa but when he got there,he changed and insisted on annihilation and total surrender of BIAFRA only to turn around later and fight the very government he supported to emasculate a portion of Nigeria,I am sure that all the children that died from kwashiokor in BIAFRA will be waiting for him".

Lol @ this rubbish. This is why it's a tragedy that any shameless worthless degenerate with a keyboard can fabricate history behind the veil of anonymity. In actual matter of fact, at the conference in Addis Ababa, the tone was supposed to be one of reconciliation, and gains were supposed to be made toward a cessation of hostilities. Then, Ojukwu, much to the revulsion and disgust of the head of this reconciliation meeting, Emperor Haile Selassie, launched into a massive, aggressive, hostile, damning speech the minute he was given the chance to speak. Ojukwu destroyed any chance at a cessation of hostilities by getting emotional and damning everything in sight, and refusing to yield an inch. Why would a group of people who have you cornered and retreating cease defeating you when all you offer is curses? All of these beer parlor historians of the civil war annoy the hell out of me. Enahoro had nothing to do with the failure of reconciliation at Addis Ababa. Enahoro went there, Ojukwu demonstated his oratory skills, and nothing changed.

It is a fact that a man's final legacy is mainly carved by the evils he did, not his good (if any). It is even more so if the evils impacted millions of people. You would need a GOOD that either equally impact millions, or billions of people to undo his evil against the millions in Biafra.

The Anthony Enahoro I knew spent his last days on earth trying to achieve the SAME THING he was fighting against in Biafra. He tried, but I would say he never could muster the same zeal to fight for those things like he did against Biafra.
So, his legacy is one of blood and curses from the victims of the Biafran war.
Those who underestimate the Biafran war victim feelings are either fools or lying to themselves.

I wish he died fighting to undo his past. HE DIDN'T. He died of old age.

Nobody can name even one thing this man did which could have directly impacted Biafra because in fact there was no such thing. This man was a showpiece, a notable figure recruited, just like Isaac Boro and Awolowo to give legitimacy to the Gowon government as a Nigerian rather than a Northern thing. Enahoro was the minister of information and not in anyway in charge of any kind of military policies. He was asked by foreign journalists what the government's position on starvation was and he gave it, in his capacity as a minister of information and with no need to sugarcoat anything or contradict the government's actual stance. That he supported the military government of Gowon against his direct enemies (those who invaded his home region) is nothing to fault him for.

It's ironic to hear all this talk about starvation now when one of Ojukwu's first propaganda messages (all of the claims of which were untrue) after the onset of the war specifically mentioned the enemy being starved (see Sunset In Biafra, by Elechi Amadi), among other awful things supposedly being inflicted upon the federal dogs by the gallant Biafrans. Apparently Ojukwu was throwing around the idea of starvation of one's enemies rather lightly. There's a world of difference between actually doing a thing and lying and saying you are doing something, of course, but this idea that Ojukwu was unaware of starvation as a weapon of war is implausible, especially given Ojukwu's academic background in history, so it's not surprising that he mentioned it.  (Elechi Amadi's own account of radio propaganda may not be the best source, however he describes other occurences that paint the Biafrans or the federal government in a good or bad light with detachment and with a very high level of detail and his accounts of these broadcasts have never been disputed despite other studies (Craig W. McLuckie, Aubrey McPhail, Dieter Riemenschneider) which dispute other positions he took or statements of fact that he made in that book, so I see no reason to doubt the veracity of these undisputed radio broadcasts.)

I'm not a fan of Enahoro's but the record needs to be set straight and all these emotional people reasoning like children need to stop and think logically. Enahoro was of little relevance to Biafra since Biafra would have been starved anyways with or without him since Biafra was importing weapons under the guise of food and aid and Enahoro, as a Midwesterner, was a direct enemy of Biafra in any way one looks at it, through no actions of his own, but as a consequence of the Biafran invasion.

What is silly however is this claim that Enahoro spent the rest of his life fighting for what he earlier rejected. In 1966, the choice was between confederation and federalism (the continuation of the 4 regions). Enahoro opted for the former (confederation) initially, but after meeting with some more patriotic (as Nigerians, rather than sectionalists or loyalists to their region, ethnicity, etc) intellectuals of Midwesternern origin, he opted for federation under the  (naive) assumption that a confederate Nigeria would be weak (speaking without one voice) in international affairs, and all groups would be treated fairly.

One justifiably sectionalist region (the East) decided to opt for confederation after feeling it could no longer be in a real union with the murderous North and feeling absolutely no patriotism about the idea of one Nigeria and knowing that they could prosper economically regardless, but the Northern civil servants/intellectuals were a little too clever, (even if Ojukwu was able to outsmart the military guys at Aburi) or at least clever enough to appreciate the advice their British advisors were giving them and realized that confederation could just be a prelude to secession or would put them at a loss economically. The consequence of this was that the North rejected confederation out of a desire for economic gain or subsistence.

Enahoro and those Midwesterners at Aburi could have scuttled or ignored the advice given them after meeting with those patriotic Midwestern intellectuals, but they didn't out of "blind" patriotism for Nigeria and agreed with their advice. The Midwest, under Enahoro's authority/direction, rejected confederation out of blind patriotism for Nigeria and for this he can be faulted for being too patriotic to idea of the country he helped to originally bring about. The unfortunate truth is that the man was never a sectionalist, even when it was even in his best interests to do so. This same man (Enahoro) rejected the idea of the Midwest out of loyalty to the Action Group, even though it was clear that this party was ethnically chauvinistic and biased against his own group's (Ishan) development.

To make a long story short, Enahoro never called for confederation. 18 regions means even "truer" federalism than that was originally practiced in 1963 with the 4 regions, not that unworkable, prelude-to-disintegration, phantom concoction, called a confederation. So to say that he spent the rest of his life fighting for what he initially rejected is completely incorrect. After initially opposing the Midwest, he supported one Nigeria with 4 regions, and spent the rest of his life supporting one Nigeria with even more regions and with the powers for those regions that they had originally had in the 1960s.

Anyways, maybe Nigeria should have disintegrated along sectional lines, and maybe Enahoro's blind, anti-tribalistic, anti-sectionalist, patriotism and devotion was wasted upon an unworkable colonial construct filled with too many power hungry groups. Maybe. We'll find out soon enough. 2011 or 2015.
Re: Breaking News! Pa Enahoro Is Dead! by rabzy: 2:41pm On Dec 16, 2010
These events are very unfortunate, it was a very messy affair, All those leaders had selfish reasons for pursuing their various Agendas. Zik, Awolowo, Sardauna, Enahoro, they men fighting their wars private wars and public wars in whatever way they deem necessary. Mistakes were made by all parties and we are still holed up in their mess.

The way i see it, my personal opinion, and bearing in mind that these were fighting for personal preservation of themselves first then subsequently/perhaps their Kinsmens.

The Northern Elites (sardauna/emirs/sarkis) have always wanted self preservation and a hold on power, while the general Northern masses continue to wallow in abject poverty and ignorance, Gowon was foolish to agree to something he did not understand.

The execution of the coup by the majors clearly had ethnic undertones, it is definitely suspect, the major leaders were of eastern ethnic extraction, in number and prominence, the great Zik was allegedly informed and was conveniently absent, he could have hinted his colleagues in the government, so they escape or prevent the coup, if that was the case he betrayed them,

Enahoro and Awolowo were released from Prison by Gowon, so they would most likely be inclined to support him or maybe he had extracted a pledge of cooperation from them before their release, so even when Gowon was clearly in the wrong to renege on an agreement, they still supported him, they were in opposition to Zik, Zik escaped the coup, They could have relevance in the new Government , Ojukwu could have easily turned the mid-west and the west into an occupied territory, putting his own stooge in the helm of affairs as revealed by the letter he wrote to Victor Banjo. They wanted to stop the war or defeat the Biafrans and they felt any means necessary would suffice,

I admire Ojukwu a lot for his courage and intellect and the industriousness of the Biafran army in the face of overwhelming odds, but Ojukwu married a his God-daughter despite the vehement opposition from the Lady's father-his friend-, a lot of people would not see it as a honorable action, so is it possible he could reneged on the agreement he made with the Victor banjo and crush all opposition in the mid-west and west, definitely. I want to believe the blockade and starvation policy was meant to make the Military capitulate, and not to starve millions to death, Before the policy led to the death of millions, he should have re-evaluated the cost of continuing the war and make an informed decision, and i also heard about forceful recruiting of unwilling igbo men and summarily killing of deserters, the family of such men can't forgive him, maybe they have seen the futility of war. The minorities in the east also bore the brunt of Igbo cruelty. Seceeding does not necessarily mean success for any of the regions, it just means they want to make or mar it themselves.

They were all men with their fears, ambitions and faults, and they all share the blame for how we came to be like this

War is war, it is ugly, it would always be dirty, we may try to give it a human face with treaties and conventions, but it already carries the devil's face, there is no changing of that, that is why i support no war.

They were all men with their fears, ambitions and faults, and they all share the blame for how we came to be like this, but far worse than all they have done is the Jamboree going on the National assemblies and in different states of the federation.

In Imo, Achike Udenwa (onwa ibo) commissioned derelict and uncompleted Buildings as corpers camp, Ohakim has still not finished constructing his house/zoo in Okohia after spending untold millions there, Abia state is jungle of disaster, Aba looks like a town abandoned, the refuse on Asa road can cause epidemic any time.
The sheer poverty in the north and the constant outbreak of something virulent is enough to for us to rankadede-stone any politician from there.
The western governors are a Joke, from smiling Gbenga to slowpoke Akala, possibly lets see what the reinstated governors would do, tho there has been some ray of hope in Lagos and Edo, but it is still a ray amidst so much darkness. These are the people we should start threading about and stop wasting too much energy on old and dead guys.

Peace brothers, these are just my opinions no beefs for anybody or tribe,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria must leave the global economy. / Don't You Forsee An Evolution Or Break-up Soon In Nigeria?? / "Yakubu Gowon Is Dead" - NTA Mistakenly Projects On Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.