Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? (72230 Views)

4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / "The Day I Left Vs Now" Transformation Of A Medical Doctor After Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sweetilicious(f): 10:18pm On Feb 22, 2020
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mcslize: 10:25pm On Feb 22, 2020
sowilli:
you are the shit he is referring to obviously.

By the way if you are not in Nigeria, kindly come back. We need you. You need to experience the brutality of SARS. This your patriotism has no direction. I just pointed to you that's one of the reasons people are leaving this shithole not because they want to amass wealth. Have SARS dealth with you before?

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by 79733139(m): 10:25pm On Feb 22, 2020
sowilli:
do you even understand the meaning of the word troll. You guys mention me ... can’t you see you are all confused and living in denial

Yes we are.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by 79733139(m): 10:26pm On Feb 22, 2020
sowilli:
possibly you were to dumb to understand.

Yes I was.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by 79733139(m): 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2020
Mcslize:

By the way if you are not in Nigeria, kindly come back. We need you. You need to experience the brutality of SARS. This your patriotism has no direction. I just pointed to you that's one of the reasons people are leaving this shithole not because they want to amass wealth. Have SARS dealth with you before?

It is pointless exchanging words with that guy.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by wizdomnzube(m): 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
WeRblessed:

What's Ajebbutte?
Rich man pikin wink I'm guessing I'm right.....
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by WeRblessed(f): 10:49pm On Feb 22, 2020
wizdomnzube:
Rich man pikin wink I'm guessing I'm right.....

Oh wow!

Well, my parents wealth is theirs. I work over 50 hour a week and make my own money and pay my own bills.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by showafrica(m): 10:52pm On Feb 22, 2020
PureMind2:
Why can't you face your front now

I am just been caring.. Na so some people go dey waka dey talk to themselves before you know it, they don jump from 3rd mainland bridge. Pls oo, forget women concentrate on your travel documents. Na so one big nyash made my man miss opportunity to travel after ssce, the girl cried that she will kill her self if my man leave her travel, later the big nyash dump my guy follow one guy wey come back from abroad. Inside life.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by BlindedIrony(m): 1:38am On Feb 23, 2020
Hello,

As a diaspora living in the States, I want you to know that you are the world's most ridiculous idiot. What kind of insect made its way to your brain to whisper that diaspora regret living Nigeria??

I am 28 years old. I have a saying I adopted when I graduated in Nigeria and I could not find a job. It goes like this, "ANYWHERE , BUT NIGERIA." Now, you may ask why a former patriot like me says something like. Well, let's look at it this way. There are things I regretted about not getting out of Nigeria sooner than I did. A lot of diaspora (afew hundreds) told me the same. They are:

1) I am so glad I don't have to witness mob justices on innocent and accused peoples who don't have the opportunity to be trialed in court. You have a bunch of devoted religious people that will lynch someone today and tomorrow you will see them in churches smiling. It made me throw up many times when I was growing up.
2) I am so glad I don't have to see dead bodies on some Nigerian cities' streets on my way to work, school or to visit my friends. Sometimes, some of these corpses lay decaying for days, and people walk past them as if it is the norm! Well, I guess it is normal in Nigeria( Lagos, PH, NORTH, Onitsha... no city is excluded.)
3) I am glad the police doesn't harass me now just because I look and dress better than them.
4) It sucks that I had to spend 1/3 of my monthly salary just to charge my phone, and have electricity because of epileptic power supply.
5) I am so glad I don't have to be at bed at 10pm. In anywhere but Nigeria, cities are alive until the early hours of morning.
6) I don't have to put up with the Nigerian police inability to response to emergency.
7) Bank queues suck like hell there.
coolI no longer have to put up with mosquitoes on borrowed dracula teeth that suck the souls of hardworking men and women.
9) I don't have to lose my money to armed robbers now.
10) Armed robbers NO FIT come into my house here because American constitution gives all people rights to bear arms, unlike Nigeria where armed robbers fit come and command you for your house.
11) I don't have to take 11 classes in a semester. What am I a robot?? Here, the most are 4 classes per semester, and you can work too (full time and part time). Classes are very flexible.
12) I don't have to put up with professors who think they are better humans because they have degrees, yet their moral compasses are rusty and they beg me for money to grade my exams.
13) I don't worry about soldiers retaliating when they assault me because I can sue them now no matter their rank, and also they cannot come to my house because the Texan state law says I could shoot armed trespassers in my property.

There are million things we do not regret about leaving Nigeria. How on earth are we supposed to regret leaving a country that pays doctors 100K naira, when their American counterparts make $250,000 to $500,000 depending on surgery specialty?? It is people like you that often come up with very stupid diaspora shaming posts like this one. You cry of patriotism for a country that has never given me a kobo, taken my last kobo and deny me an opportunity to make a kobo! This is the Nigeria you want us to regret leaving.

Oh! As for regretting, I have no idea what you mean , but any diaspora can come back to visit and enjoy the culture whenever he or she wants. However, no one is going to leaving heaven for hell permanently, even if hell has the only fire that can roast yams.

18 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sirhamilton(m): 4:31am On Feb 23, 2020
sowilli:
enlighten me pls.
No bro, previously you boasted of having a passport with multiple stamps, right now I'd if be surprised if you had a passport to start with. You know nothing besides blowing your trumpet and that of your imaginary friends that do N300million per annum. If you're interested in educating yourself about how the real estate market in the US functions refer to Google.com.

ps: This will be the last response I'll let my brain cells waste on you. Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mizwisdom(f): 7:33am On Feb 23, 2020
VolvoS60:

^^^
Some of those who relocated do have regrets. Some do not. People fall on both sides.

It is entirely possible that people who really have no regrets did post responses on this thread. Is that so hard to believe? Why the scepticism?

The "lies" being told here could go both ways: some people relocated and they do have regrets - but they lie about this. And some people stayed put and they have regrets - and they too lie about this.

I am interested in your reasons (other than "it is home"wink why you consider Nigeria a good place to live. Would you care to list or explain further?

Overall freedom to live by your own rules and standards. With far less money than required abroad, I can live comfortably. I know average people with three maids, two drivers, a gateman and Laundry man. Things like these... grin

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Judybash93(m): 8:30am On Feb 23, 2020
BotafogoJunior:
say it again,na all of us be the problem!!
Walahi
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by beejay16289(m): 8:39am On Feb 23, 2020
BlindedIrony:
Hello,

As a diaspora living in the States, I want you to know that you are the world's most ridiculous idiot. What kind of insect made its way to your brain to whisper that diaspora regret living Nigeria??

I am 28 years old. I have a saying I adopted when I graduated in Nigeria and I could not find a job. It goes like this, "ANYWHERE , BUT NIGERIA." Now, you may ask why a former patriot like me says something like. Well, let's look at it this way. There are things I regretted about not getting out of Nigeria sooner than I did. A lot of diaspora (afew hundreds) told me the same. They are:

1) I am so glad I don't have to witness mob justices on innocent and accused peoples who don't have the opportunity to be trialed in court. You have a bunch of devoted religious people that will lynch someone today and tomorrow you will see them in churches smiling. It made me throw up many times when I was growing up.
2) I am so glad I don't have to see dead bodies on some Nigerian cities' streets on my way to work, school or to visit my friends. Sometimes, some of these corpses lay decaying for days, and people walk past them as if it is the norm! Well, I guess it is normal in Nigeria( Lagos, PH, NORTH, Onitsha... no city is excluded.)
3) I am glad the police doesn't harass me now just because I look and dress better than them.
4) It sucks that I had to spend 1/3 of my monthly salary just to charge my phone, and have electricity because of epileptic power supply.
5) I am so glad I don't have to be at bed at 10pm. In anywhere but Nigeria, cities are alive until the early hours of morning.
6) I don't have to put up with the Nigerian police inability to response to emergency.
7) Bank queues suck like hell there.
coolI no longer have to put up with mosquitoes on borrowed dracula teeth that suck the souls of hardworking men and women.
9) I don't have to lose my money to armed robbers now.
10) Armed robbers NO FIT come into my house here because American constitution gives all people rights to bear arms, unlike Nigeria where armed robbers fit come and command you for your house.
11) I don't have to take 11 classes in a semester. What am I a robot?? Here, the most are 4 classes per semester, and you can work too (full time and part time). Classes are very flexible.
12) I don't have to put up with professors who think they are better humans because they have degrees, yet their moral compasses are rusty and they beg me for money to grade my exams.
13) I don't worry about soldiers retaliating when they assault me because I can sue them now no matter their rank, and also they cannot come to my house because the Texan state law says I could shoot armed trespassers in my property.

There are million things we do not regret about leaving Nigeria. How on earth are we supposed to regret leaving a country that pays doctors 100K naira, when their American counterparts make $250,000 to $500,000 depending on surgery specialty?? It is people like you that often come up with very stupid diaspora shaming posts like this one. You cry of patriotism for a country that has never given me a kobo, taken my last kobo and deny me an opportunity to make a kobo! This is the Nigeria you want us to regret leaving.

Oh! As for regretting, I have no idea what you mean , but any diaspora can come back to visit and enjoy the culture whenever he or she wants. However, no one is going to leaving heaven for hell permanently, even if hell has the only fire that can roast yams.
Damn niggar
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Ginomel(m): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2020
ojsmscom:
I have no regret at all..no single regret for leaving Nigeria for Canada....back then in 2012 after graduation from polytechnic...I saw there was no big chance for me,so I had to sell our only land and jet out...now what is Nigerian land...a shithole country

Hmm, sell land to travel?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Ginomel(m): 12:14pm On Feb 23, 2020
PastorandMentor:
I don't miss anything.. I love Chicago

Are you sure? the same Chicago that has the highest homicide in the world.

Won't even stay there for anything.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sowilli: 12:46pm On Feb 23, 2020
sirhamilton:

No bro, previously you boasted of having a passport with multiple stamps, right now I'd if be surprised if you had a passport to start with. You know nothing besides blowing your trumpet and that of your imaginary friends that do N300million per annum. If you're interested in educating yourself about how the real estate market in the US functions refer to Google.com.

ps: This will be the last response I'll let my brain cells waste on you. Shalom!
just as I expected. You had thought I would seek knowledge from you. I wanted you to tell me more of your foolishness. I started to imagine why going through my post would make you think I know nothing about securing a property in the US. Again, how easy is it for you to secure a property as a foreigner on a salary/ daily wage in the US? How easy is it? Stop making yourself feel good with lies and half truths you hear now and then? I will upload just of my passport, so folks like you on here will learn to read posts keenly before jumping into conclusions. Check the different dates of arrivals and departure.

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by wizdomnzube(m): 12:56pm On Feb 23, 2020
WeRblessed:

Oh wow!

Well, my parents wealth is theirs. I work over 50 hour a week and make my own money and pay my own bills.
Wow, I love your mindset. You're right though, Ajebbutter wink what kinda work do you do?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Ginomel(m): 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2020
Merically:

My dear you may not get the true situation of things by asking this question in this forum because we Nigerians are suffering and smiling, we pretend a lot even when all is not well, we keep saying yes is ok. Ask people who pass through Libya desert they will still say it's ok. We Nigerians just have a passion of hating our dear country forgotten where we're running to is built by the people of that country who have passion for their country. When things are not going well in US, the citizens keep saying God bless America but here in Nigeria the reverse is the case. In Nigeria nobody wants to contribute their quota but only blame games, so the earlier we Nigerians realise to build a nation of our dream the better for the future of this great nation Nigeria. I have lived, worked and still working outside the country. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your sincerity. I'm very sure that those making noise about enjoying living outside Nigeria are just pretending because theoretically and realistically grass is always greener on the other side and wherever we are, there must be advantages and limitations.

Be you in Nigeria or US or Canada. it can never be 100% complete for any individual.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by molybdenum0012: 1:13pm On Feb 23, 2020
Ginomel:

Thanks for your sincerity. I'm very sure that those making noise about enjoying living outside Nigeria are just pretending because theoretically and realistically grass is always greener on the other side and wherever we are, there must be advantages and limitations.

Be you in Nigeria or US or Canada. it can never be 100% complete for any individual.

There is nothing like 100% completeness on this earth. Every nation is striving to provide the best life for her citizens. But people make comparison and bid for the one that makes their lives better.

You can not blame them.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Ginomel(m): 1:20pm On Feb 23, 2020
obibob2020:
No regret.
I am enjoying myself here in Brazil.
No power failure.
No hunger.
In fact, Nigeria is a shithole country.

Which Brazil? the same Brazil I know with lot of ghetto.

Be real bro. You are trying to survive not enjoying any thing.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by obibob2020(m): 1:25pm On Feb 23, 2020
Ginomel:

Which Brazil? the same Brazil I know with lot of ghetto.
Be real bro. You are trying to survive not enjoying any thing.
Same Brazil you know or same Brazil you base? Which are you talking about ? Maybe you know everything about Brazil through social media.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Ginomel(m): 3:09pm On Feb 23, 2020
obibob2020:
Same Brazil you know or same Brazil you base?
Which are you talking about ?
Maybe you know everything about Brazil through social media.

The Brazil I visited. It may not be all part but the part I saw really proved that grass is always greener on the other side

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mizwisdom(f): 3:24pm On Feb 23, 2020
Ginomel:

Are you sure? the same Chicago that has the highest homicide in the world.

Won't even stay there for anything.

Of course they're lying. If all is well, why are they here? grin
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by NonEthniCITY: 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Of course they're lying. If all is well, why are they here? grin

I really don't understand what you meant by why are they here.

I have been a registered Nairaland user for about a decade, way before I left this country, and I still come here not because I miss Nigeria but because it is what I have been doing.

I don't deny Nigeria is still my root and wish that it prosper for everyone regardless of your ethnic group, financial or social status.

A question was asked, everyone gave their answers, whether positive or negative - it has to be accepted the way it is.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by obibob2020(m): 5:10pm On Feb 23, 2020
Ginomel:

The Brazil I visited. It may not be all part but the part I saw really proved that grass is always greener on the other side
You are like a foreigner who visited Oshodi, Lagos, claiming to have known the whole of Lagos State and Nigeria.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by WeRblessed(f): 5:28pm On Feb 23, 2020
wizdomnzube:
Wow, I love your mindset. You're right though, Ajebbutter wink what kinda work do you do?

Pediatrician
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by VolvoS60(m): 5:51pm On Feb 23, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Overall freedom to live by your own rules and standards. With far less money than required abroad, I can live comfortably. I know average people with three maids, two drivers, a gateman and Laundry man. Things like these... grin

^^^
I will refer you to my response to another poster on this thread. He also mentioned "freedom". You need to accept the simple truth that (in forward thinking societies) your freedom to live by your own rules and standards will always be greatly restricted by other people's rights. As long as we live with and around other human beings, our "freedoms" will always be constrained. There is no getting around this basic truth.

There's a lot to unpack from your statement about being able to live comfortably in Nigeria with far less than you would require in other countries (I assume here you are referring mostly to high income, industrialized countries). Have you factored in exchange rates? Are you referring to the buying power of a minimum wage earner in Nigeria versus the buying power of a minimum wage earner in these other countries? There's a lot at play here.

You mentioned "average people" (I assume this means middle class) having 3 maids, 2 drivers, a gateman and a laundry man. That statement is quite controversial - particularly when statistics (IBRD, AfDB, Ipsos, etc.) show Nigeria's middle class is anything between 14% to 20% of the population. How far can you go when your middle class is less than one fifth of the population? undecided Perhaps even more important, how much wealth can this middle class actually create? (Is it largely entrepreneurial or is it largely clerical? How much wealth can bureaucrats/government employees create?) Those maids, drivers, gatemen and laundry men you referred to - what is their economic status? Are they living or just existing?

There are other stats we should be just as concerned about. I'm sure you are aware of the report (though controversial) which shows that over half of Nigeria's population lives below the poverty line. Other stats show that over 10 million children of school age in Nigeria are NOT in school. There is a costly war in North Eastern Nigeria that has left nearly 40,000 dead and over 2 million displaced. There is an illegal but highly lucrative trans-border movement in small light arms and ammunition that is feeding the extremely volatile security situation within Nigeria. And so on.

Our problems are very serious. We minimize them at our peril.

7 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by wizdomnzube(m): 7:55pm On Feb 23, 2020
WeRblessed:

Pediatrician
That's nice. Well I'll love to know more about you tho. How about we talk some where more private. Make we touch down whatsapp..
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by googi: 7:58pm On Feb 23, 2020
Let me start by saying Nigeria is the best place to live as a Nigerian but only if you have money to live within your means.

Most people in Nigeria at every level live and aspire to live above their means. This is why fetish crime have increased beyond our imagination.

Even people that made money illegally go on social media to flaunt it in the name of thanking God and "gifted". While others pray to God to pickup their calls.

Many people live abroad hearing gunshots night and day. Though not in as many area as Nigeria.

So you live abroad with enough money for three meals and more a day, nice car, nice home. In many cases far less people than you hear are fully employed. Most are under employed though highly educated.

Nevertheless, your job is under threat everyday, your life and that of your family are under threat for doing well out of jealousy or discrimination.

No matter how comfortable you say you are to those at home, do you tell them your blood pressure is high out of fear and threats?

Do you know that 62% of Americans have less than $1000.00 in their savings?

21% have no savings and most Americans live from paychheck to paycheck.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sowilli: 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2020
googi:
Let me start by saying Nigeria is the best place to live as a Nigerian but only if you have money to live within your means.

Most people in Nigeria at every level live and aspire to live above their means. This is why fetish crime have increased beyond our imagination.

Even people that made money illegally go on social media to flaunt it in the name of thanking God and "gifted". While others pray to God to pickup their calls.

Many people live abroad hearing gunshots night and day. Though not in as many area as Nigeria.

So you live abroad with enough money for three meals and more a day, nice car, nice home. In many cases far less people than you hear are fully employed. Most are under employed though highly educated.

Nevertheless, your job is under threat everyday, your life and that of your family are under threat for doing well out of jealousy or discrimination.

No matter how comfortable you say you are to those at home, do you tell them your blood pressure is high out of fear and threats?

Do you know that 62% of Americans have less than $1000.00 in their savings?

21% have no savings and most Americans live from paychheck to paycheck
many will come paint a story and think it’s all fantasy. Day dreaming of acquiring a property abroad. Just got over the phone with my step in Us who has been there for like 3 years. Dude is still struggling to get a meaningful job, boasts how hard he is working and gets paid bla bla... summary of the call was to partner to start a business. I have an Uncle who is a citizen but lives in Nigeria. Each to his own. There is nothing better than being a citizen. Nothing can be compared to home. Everyone wishes to be buried at home. That’s how we are all created. Traveling out is not the ultimate, living in Nigeria is not the end of the world. Find your vision!

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sowilli: 8:41pm On Feb 23, 2020
Merically:

My dear you may not get the true situation of things by asking this question in this forum because we Nigerians are suffering and smiling, we pretend a lot even when all is not well, we keep saying yes is ok. Ask people who pass through Libya desert they will still say it's ok. We Nigerians just have a passion of hating our dear country forgotten where we're running to is built by the people of that country who have passion for their country. When things are not going well in US, the citizens keep saying God bless America but here in Nigeria the reverse is the case. In Nigeria nobody wants to contribute their quota but only blame games, so the earlier we Nigerians realise to build a nation of our dream the better for the future of this great nation Nigeria. I have lived, worked and still working outside the country. Just my opinion.
God bless you my brother. This is the same message I have been preaching and a lot have mentioned him. Some even claimed I am lieing. Obviously because they are liars and living in denial. We live fake lives a lot and don’t tell ourselves the truth. Nigeria is bad but the truth remains only Nigerians can fix it. The earlier we start to realize this, the better. Can a whole family relocate.... never! Can a whole generation relocate ... never!
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by WeRblessed(f): 9:33pm On Feb 23, 2020
wizdomnzube:
That's nice. Well I'll love to know more about you tho. How about we talk some where more private. Make we touch down whatsapp..

Would have been great, but unfortunately, I'm not residing in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply)

How I Started My Tricycle (Keke) Business & How Much I Make In A Day (Photo) / USA Spousal Visa Process/ K3 Visa / Nigerian Man Marries His Own Daughter To Get Her UK Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.