Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,490 members, 7,812,526 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (140024 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 11:58pm On Feb 28, 2022
bfag:

Good morning sir.
What variety are you planting now sir? Is it platinum or Diva f1 ?

I prefer cobra to platinum,in terms of size of fruits, numbers of fruits, resistance to diseases.give it a trial you will hate platinum with passion

Oga bfag, whenever u are quoting a post...when u click on "quote" , carefully shift the cursor to the back of the last word, which is [quote], (don't tamper with the bracket at the back) u can give a space of one or 2 lines, then type your msg and click submit. Your quoted text should appear in brown background.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 12:17am On Mar 01, 2022
bfag:
I don't plant with manures any more but npk 15 15 15 at the very day that my transplanting is been done you will definitely be amazed with the results, 3cm away from the plant dig hole of about 3cm dip and cover it up with soil after it's application.

For the sake of newbies reading your msg, the unit can never be in cm, it should be 3inches and not 3cm else you will burn the root of you plant with NPK. 3cm is roughly 1inch (approximately the dist betw your finger tip and the 1st line/joint on that finger).
I read about someone who planted acres of plantain suckers using 2ft by 2ft dimensions instead of 2m by 2m. Just because she read some wrong unit conversion online.
Shalom.

3 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 12:32am On Mar 01, 2022
Nastolly:
Cobra had low resistance to bacteria wilt. Don't think of yield but disease resistance. I'm seriously battling with bacterial wilt. platinum is a bit better than it

We are not at the peak of rainy season yet...there is obviously something you are not getting right...both cobra and platinum are good disease resistance cultivars.
For a distance of 30cm, I asked you earlier wether you are not staking, and pruning those extra /multiple shoots.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bfag: 1:30pm On Mar 01, 2022
Cobra has good resistance to bacteria wilt.
OluchiDelly:

We are not at the peak of rainy season yet...there is obviously something you are not getting right...both cobra and platinum are good disease resistance cultivars.
For a distance of 30cm, I asked you earlier wether you are not staking, and pruning those extra /multiple shoots.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bfag: 1:35pm On Mar 01, 2022
Thanks for the correction bro,I meant 3" not cm and it worked wonders and saved me unending wahala of looking for manure especially if your plant population is high,but if you have access to manure it is very good in helping to improve the soil structure and moisture.
OluchiDelly:

Oga bfag, whenever u are quoting a post...when u click on "quote" , carefully shift the cursor to the back of the last word, which is
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 7:26am On Mar 02, 2022
Nastolly:
Cobra had low resistance to bacteria wilt. Don't think of yield but disease resistance. I'm seriously battling with bacterial wilt. platinum is a bit better than it
Cobra 26 and low resistance to bacterial wilt in the same sentence?
It is well...btw, my oga that applied only npk to get results, your results and assumptions could be misleading especially for newbies.
You left out your farming zone, manure/organic matter already present in your soil, soil pH, the quality of your fertilizer, and most importantly your experience.
Naso new farmer go try this your method, come dey shade tears of many colours
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:44am On Mar 02, 2022
bfag:
I don't plant with manures any more but npk 15 15 15 at the very day that my transplanting is been done you will definitely be amazed with the results, 3cm away from the plant dig hole of about 3cm dip and cover it up with soil after it's application
you are growing tomatoes with just npk undecided and you think your crop is reaching it potential? 1. The shelf life of your fruit will not last 2. Both the tomato stand and fruit will be prone to sickness. Lucky you! Your land is still fertile or maybe virgin. I doubt you will try it after seven cultivation on thesame spot.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2022
ideepaul:

Cobra 26 and low resistance to bacterial wilt in the same sentence?
It is well...btw, my oga that applied only npk to get results, your results and assumptions could be misleading especially for newbies.
You left out your farming zone, manure/organic matter already present in your soil, soil pH, the quality of your fertilizer, and most importantly your experience.
Naso new farmer go try this your method, come dey shade tears of many colours

Welcome from sabbatical oga Paulo.

Abeg who don use tak product before, i mean their various brands of fertilizer. I want to know the efficacy of their mop, NPK, pot nitrate etc

Also, has anyone used "fungicare" (jubaili version of Ortiva top) before.? A farmer complained his tomato leaves become pale and it has an adverse effect on his crop after application. Abeg drop your review if u have any.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 11:35am On Mar 03, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Welcome from sabbatical oga Paulo.

Abeg who don use tak product before, i mean their various brands of fertilizer. I want to know the efficacy of their mop, NPK, pot nitrate etc

Also, has anyone used "fungicare" (jubaili version of Ortiva top) before.? A farmer complained his tomato leaves become pale and it has an adverse effect on his crop after application. Abeg drop your review if u have any.

Oga mi I no dey sabbatical o, na condition dey make crayfish bend.....if you had access to something else that is reliable, use it. If not, use tak( Thier 12 12 17 get as e do me sometimes)
Oga leave alternative to Ortiva top as just alternative if you can't get Ortiva top, ya farm no be experiment grounds for all new chemicals wey com out, follow real farmers review b4 switching from something that works 4 you to something else.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2022
Please what is the best spacing for tomatoes for better yeild?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 6:01am On Mar 06, 2022
sayso:
not exactly.during november/decenber planting the north underground water was drying up.most farms do not get water for irrigation ,wwhen they get the distance to the farm will be much (fuel and pipe) for them.beside that kano state could not release water for irrigation this year. This is the reason for high price of the commodity.

Can you just read up this link below, it made the front page. Live and direct from practicing northern farmers. I did not want to start arguing with you when you said there's no connection between the current food scarcity and terrorism...

https://www.nairaland.com/7016384/northern-farmers-lament-over-incessant
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 6:15am On Mar 06, 2022
dutch4u:

Sometimes it's not about the max yield, but about your ability and wat you can handle.
If you have good agro practices(GAP) like the honourable op, u can use 30cm but if not, go for a wider distance like 50cm.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 9:21am On Mar 06, 2022
dutch4u:
4 which cultivar? Different seeds, different spacing! gamhar can't be spaced like cobra,etc

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 1:45pm On Mar 06, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Sometimes it's not about the max yield, but about your ability and wat you can handle.
If you have good agro practices(GAP) like the honourable op, u can use 30cm but if not, go for a wider distance like 50cm.
Thanks so much
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 1:45pm On Mar 06, 2022
ideepaul:
4 which cultivar? Different seeds, different spacing! gamhar can't be spaced like cobra,etc
Cobra
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 7:51am On Mar 07, 2022
dutch4u:

Cobra
then follow oluchidelly's advice
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by sayso: 8:42pm On Mar 07, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Can you just read up this link below, it made the front page. Live and direct from practicing northern farmers. I did not want to start arguing with you when you said there's no connection between the current food scarcity and terrorism...

https://www.nairaland.com/7016384/northern-farmers-lament-over-incessant

Oga I said not exactly, meaning it is part of it. Am in katsina and have a farm. Check this thread for last year.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:40am On Mar 08, 2022
sayso:
Oga I said not exactly, meaning it is part of it. Am in katsina and have a farm. Check this thread for last year.
both of you are correct...my workers from Traba State were telling me rain will not fall until May. When rain Fall on Sunday they were some how surprise! Same goes for banditry, we have been hearing and reading about it almost (north) every day.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:47pm On Mar 13, 2022
Deforestation no be moimoi...so embarassed tedious and expensive..

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
I will bring the operator once more to file down this remain part in order to ease ridges..

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
smiley My vegetable farm has now be successfully expand to 1.2hectare. wink, I will divide it to like five portion.I will start doing nursery by Tuesday, My plan is at least once in a month. God spare our lives this year will be an interesting year! GREAT FARMER, GREAT NATION.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Hallams(m): 5:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
smiley My vegetable farm has now be successfully expand to 1.2hectare. wink, I will divide it to like five portion.I will start doing nursery by Tuesday, My plan is at least once in a month. God spare our lives this year will be an interesting year! GREAT FARMER, GREAT NATION.
You motivate me and many others on this forum ! Keep up the good work!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by SoftHeart(m): 8:18am On Mar 14, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
This is great, I so much wish to visit your farm and learn from you as I'm completely new to farming and I have a small piece of land to start from.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by sessypgm(m): 1:10am On Mar 16, 2022
Please what is the pre Emergency herbicide and post Emergency herbicide for tomatoe.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:50am On Mar 16, 2022
sessypgm:
Please what is the pre Emergency herbicide and post Emergency herbicide for tomatoe.
I don't use herbicide (contact or systemic), I weed manually.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:59pm On Mar 18, 2022
Finally did my nursery on the 15th, this is the quantity of manure per hole am using now.

5 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Adeoye007(m): 10:46pm On Mar 19, 2022
sessypgm:
. If there is weed on your already prepared field you can use paraforce to spray the place 2 days before transplanting.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Soloxam(m): 12:56pm On Mar 20, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
Finally did my nursery on the 15th, this is the quantity of manure per hole am using now.
Hi just sent you a WhatsApp message.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:52pm On Mar 24, 2022
Thinking about hoe to do manual ridges... this one will do. I bought it 4k.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 6:32pm On Apr 07, 2022
Finally did My transplanting yesterday. the seedlings was 23 days old in nursery.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by raregem2021: 11:34am On Apr 10, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
Finally did My transplanting yesterday. the seedlings was 23 days old in nursery.
This is so lovely sir. Good job!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:28pm On Apr 13, 2022
27 days old today county from the day I did nursery...I applied first fertilizer on Monday, erecting my staking Baboo on going...

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.