Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,237 members, 7,815,316 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (140317 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by H2O444(m): 8:14pm On Feb 20
Farmer akinloye I really don't know if we should be happy or sad because our inputs are high now and we have to buy other things on a high price
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:53am On Feb 27
Farmerakinloye6:
I was in market this morning to buy some stuff, and ask price of crate of tomato which range between 17-15k. If the price can be this high now embarassed sad what will June-july look like?
Oga mi, nor be to hear price now, ask how much be seeds and agrochemicals...cobra that was 28k last year has moved from 75k in January to 100k+ as we speak!
Who nor get better capital go see shege banza for farm input this year unless miracles happen

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by JayB007(m): 8:27am On Feb 28
Morning house, I wanted to wet my tomato nursery and noticed this. It appears one tomatoes are weak and falling while others still stand tall. Pls what could be the cause?

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:48am On Feb 28
JayB007:
Morning house, I wanted to wet my tomato nursery and noticed this. It appears one tomatoes are weak and falling while others still stand tall. Pls what could be the cause?
sorry about that! If you have being given all the nursery the same attention and treatment, then the only difference I see is sunlight penetration. Next time buy like 2 square meters of green house cover and do simple nursery house to experience uniform and healthy nursery.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by JayB007(m): 9:00am On Feb 28
Farmerakinloye6:
sorry about that! If you have being given all the nursery the same attention and treatment, then the only difference I see is sunlight penetration. Next time buy like 2 square meters of green house cover and do simple nursery house to experience uniform and healthy nursery.

Oh my! Thanks sir. Does that mean I’ve lost these stands or there could still be a way to remedy it. I’d do the green house nursery before I nurse the next batch
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:03am On Feb 28
JayB007:

Oh my! Thanks sir. Does that mean I’ve lost these stands or there could still be a way to remedy it. I’d do the green house nursery before I nurse the next batch
wet it! Still possible to resurrect.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by JayB007(m): 9:06am On Feb 28
Farmerakinloye6:
wet it! Still possible to resurrect.

Okay Sir. Thank you
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by fashtos(m): 10:04pm On Mar 01
Pls is there any selective herbicide for tomatoes?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Masabannyc(m): 5:59pm On Mar 02
Hello my ogas, please what could be the problem on my tomato nursery. This is the first time I'm experiencing this. The nursery is 3 weeks already and yet the germination rate is very very slow. All normal procedure was followed.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 6:04pm On Mar 02
fashtos:
Pls is there any selective herbicide for tomatoes?
potasun is very effective if your unwanted weed is grass. It will kill all the Grass and leave tomato and some broad leaves.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 6:11pm On Mar 02
Masabannyc:
Hello my ogas, please what could be the problem on my tomato nursery. This is the first time I'm experiencing this. The nursery is 3 weeks already and yet the germination rate is very very slow. All normal procedure was followed.
if you are being following this process and getting good result before, mean your cocopeat is not good. If this is your first time of placing your seedling trays on nylon, maybe the root as shoot out looking for nutrients but none may cause the stunt growth.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by fashtos(m): 7:32pm On Mar 02
Farmerakinloye6:
potasun is very effective if your unwanted weed is grass. It will kill all the Grass and leave tomato and some broad leaves.
Thank you sir
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Masabannyc(m): 7:52pm On Mar 02
Thank you for the response. Yes first time placing on nylon but it was raised with bamboo as suspension. And I added npk in liquid form 5ml per knapsack, which has been the practice for years. Yes maybe the roots are out, I will check underneath tomorrow. Thanks once again. Lastly what can be done, should I wait additional 1 week and transplant?

Farmerakinloye6:
if you are being following this process and getting good result before, mean your cocopeat is not good. If this is your first time of placing your seedling trays on nylon, maybe the root as shoot out looking for nutrients but none may cause the stunt growth.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Hiyor: 8:29pm On Mar 08
Pls if u have link to get farm worker kindly help me. I'm in urgent need of two boys .
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by adesiku(m): 10:12am On Mar 09
@ farmerakinloye6, pls I'm trying to do an estimation about tomato and hot pepper(habanero) yield on one acre each. Pls, do you have a yield estimation for both crops on one acre each?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:43pm On Mar 09
adesiku:
@ farmerakinloye6, pls I'm trying to do an estimation about tomato and hot pepper(habanero) yield on one acre each. Pls, do you have a yield estimation for both crops on one acre each?
have never plant any pepper commercially because of harvesting.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:47pm On Mar 09
Finally did my first nursery (10,368) this morning...

3 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Jeckin202: 3:02pm On Mar 10
Farmerakinloye6:
Good day bro, how many sachet of 10gram of platinum F1 will give 5000 stands
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 6:38pm On Mar 10
Farmerakinloye6:
Sir, please at what stage of tomato can someone apply this herbicide? And also what is the quantity on 16L sprayer?
And are we to spray the tomato together with weeds the way we spray selective herbicide for maize like 2-4-D?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:08pm On Mar 10
Jeckin202:

Good day bro, how many sachet of 10gram of platinum F1 will give 5000 stands
20g will be more than enough.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:15pm On Mar 10
dutch4u:

Sir, please at what stage of tomato can someone apply this herbicide? And also what is the quantity on 16L sprayer?
And are we to spray the tomato together with weeds the way we spray selective herbicide for maize like 2-4-D?
1. A month 2. 150ml per 16l. If it touch tomato plant it will not kill it. I always do ring weeding then spray furrow.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Kehfie(f): 8:48am On Mar 11
Farmerakinloye6:
Good job Boss. Following keenly
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 1:47pm On Mar 11
Farmerakinloye6:
1. A month 2. 150ml per 16l. If it touch tomato plant it will not kill it. I always do ring weeding then spray furrow.
Thanks so much sir.
Please sir, can it also be spray at flowering fruiting stage?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by etebefia: 4:57pm On Mar 11
Hi guys, I plan to cultivate tomatoes.

Please which one should I buy, Platinum or another one and where can I buy in Enugu?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:57pm On Mar 11
dutch4u:

Thanks so much sir.
Please sir, can it also be spray at flowering fruiting stage?
yes sure. Just as striker is for maize plant, star force for cassava plant so is potasun for tomatoes plant.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 9:32am On Mar 12
Farmerakinloye6:
yes sure. Just as striker is for maize plant, star force for cassava plant so is potasun for tomatoes plant.
Thanks so much sir. Please is this Potasun also good for pepper or only tomatoes?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by etebefia: 4:06pm On Mar 15
Guys I need your opinion here, kindly rearrange this which comes first in tomatoes farming.

1. Ridging
2. Namatode treatment (what duration before next step)
2. Adding lime to Soil (what duration before next step)
3. Adding cow dunk or chicken poo (Allow to decompose within 2 weeks)
4. Transplanting
5. Other steps
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:49pm On Mar 18
etebefia:
Guys I need your opinion here, kindly rearrange this which comes first in tomatoes farming.

1. Ridging
2. Namatode treatment (what duration before next step)
2. Adding lime to Soil (what duration before next step)
3. Adding cow dunk or chicken poo (Allow to decompose within 2 weeks)
4. Transplanting
5. Other steps
you are right the way you arrange the process. Adding lime to your soil is not compulsory or necessary unless your farm land demand it. Either cow dung or chicken litter should be at least A month dry before you use it. I wait for like 3 month or over before I use mine, that is why it is always good to plan ahead! GOOD LUCK!

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by etebefia: 6:20am On Mar 19
Farmerakinloye6:
you are right the way you arrange the process. Adding lime to your soil is not compulsory or necessary unless your farm land demand it. Either cow dung or chicken litter should be at least A month dry before you use it. I wait for like 3 month or over before I use mine, that is why it is always good to plan ahead! GOOD LUCK!

Thank you so much for the response. Do you know where I can get tomatoes seeds and which specie do you recommend I start with (platinum F1, etc)
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:13am On Mar 19
etebefia:

Thank you so much for the response. Do you know where I can get tomatoes seeds and which specie do you recommend I start with (platinum F1, etc)
so many species you can choose from,I grow cobra, platinum and diva at the moment. Have you check agro shop in your city? Seed is expensive now!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by johnnyblaze424: 10:47am On Mar 19
Farmerakinloye6:
so many species you can choose from,I grow cobra, platinum and diva at the moment. Have you check agro shop in your city? Seed is expensive now!

Why is Diva f1 seed so SMALL?
very difficult to nurse in seed tray?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by AmbFmk: 1:42pm On Mar 19
My tomatoes and pepper seedlings are coming up already, but I noticed weeds and efo tete are also growing even faster than my seedlings.

How do I get rid of these weeds without harming the seedlings.

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.