Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? (70004 Views)

Japa Or Stay In Nigeria / Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) / Entering USA Or Europe As A Married Man Or Single. Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by djon78(m): 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2020
bdon123:

bro ur country is gone ,we aint getting shit back.Nigerians are not ready ...this thing is too deep into our blood.me included

Well it may be gone for you. While a lot of people are making it big time here. That it didn't work for you or gone for you doesn't mean it's gone for me.

Like I say, pessimists can't even see when goods are coming there way. So to each man his own.
Not even everybody is excited about living abroad.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Ca4real: 5:01pm On Feb 22, 2020
e.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Chrisluke(m): 5:40pm On Feb 22, 2020
Go to Ghana and start a business.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by ledamaster(m): 5:55pm On Feb 22, 2020
To ask thus kind of question shows its either you didn't work for that money, you sold your fatgers property or simply did illegal business for it. If you worked for that money there is no way in your mind you would think of leaving Nigeria. You with be thinking of how to maximize your income to grow from#20m to #30 to #40 to #50 million. But since it fell from the sky or you stole it, you want to run off to someplace. If I can have a business that can fetch me #5million every 2years, I will invest more in it to grow more income and wealth. I will run course at Harvard sef, while my business is still makingbme money.

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by STENON(f): 6:18pm On Feb 22, 2020
Hadampson:

If UK is hell fire boss, then Justwise, STENON etc wouldn't be in the UK wink

UK is hell fire and yet, there are many Nigerians doing well for themselves. This is not from hearsay oh. I have met many of them and i can give you their handles on social media to comfirm wink smiley

Well, UK might be hell fire to you boss but it is heaven on earth for some people. One man food is another man's poison

Prost.
lol cheesy,

life is all about self declaration. For those saying abroad is hell fire, may the hell fire keep frustrating them there and for us saying abroad is heaven on earth , may the heaven always open door of progress, success and great achievements for us. grin
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by STENON(f): 6:22pm On Feb 22, 2020
Brodapounds:
Hello dear nairalanders.

Please I'm going through a state of mental confusion.

Currently i have approximately 20 million and 300 thousand naira in my bank account.

I have two thoughts.

1) I am 25 years old but I'm not a university graduate, i only have ND (National deploma) from a polytechnic In Edo state, Auchi precisely.

I would have become a graduate years ago but after my "ND" years ago, i refused to go back to school and i decided to hustle for money.

Most of my classmates in school back then are all graduates but all the same, looking at my bank account now, i have no regrets.

So this is what i plan on doing.

1) Can i further my Education In any university in the United States with the money and plan on staying back after my degree, for the fact that I'm 25.
Will that be advisable?

2) should i stay back in Nigeria and use part of the money to build a house In my hometown in Benin and use the rest for business?

3) Is there a chance of going to USA and start all over again, look for job.
Will the money be enough to rent a house, foot some bills untill i see a job in the USA.

Note i choose USA only because it's my dream country, I'm not scared of the traveling ban because I'm 100% confident that it will be taken away few months from now.

Please i won't be replying any mention or questions.

All i want is to take note of good advice.

I already know a reliable traveling agent.

Please other suggestions are welcomed apart from mine.

Please help
one advice . Do not invest in any business.

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by fuugee(m): 6:26pm On Feb 22, 2020
If your dream and desire is to leave Nigeria for a well thought out plan you want to execute in the U.S, then go for it. N20m is a reasonable amount of money to cover your expenses for a while in the U.S. Life abroad has its challenges but overall is more rewarding for hardworking and enterprising folks. I live in the U.S and I'll tell you that there are a ton of opportunities to make money here. Many people keep talking about starting a business with the savings you have but the business terrain in Nigeria is not conducive, unpredictable and volatile. So dude my 2cents to you is to leave if you can.

3 Likes

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Hifeylove: 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2020
EFCC hope you are reading this thread.. 25years old Auchi G boy...

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Daewang: 6:38pm On Feb 22, 2020
useni1:
You are a big dreamer. Average joe indeed. Most Nigerians earning 300k monthly live a far better life than 85% of Americans. America where almost 70% of her citizens are one paycheck away from living on the street. A place where 67% can't raise $400. Guy people die more in America than Nigeria. Almost 3 million deaths are recorded annually. You are over hyping America.

Keep deceiving yourself with your false statistics. Your country is finding it hard to pay minimum wage of 30000 naira (not up to 100 dollars) per month and you are here talking rubbish about a country that has average per capita income of 66000 dollars (24 million naira per year, 2 million dollars per month). Even those in your useless shithole country with a little money cannot even enjoy it because of SARS, criminals, government, village people etc.

Oga if you like keep deceiving yourself that one na your business but please don't try to deceive those who genuinely want to progress.

To the OP

IF YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO ESCAPE DO NOT HESITATE.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:42pm On Feb 22, 2020
WUdec:
20m is 55,555 USD and 300,000 is 833.33 USD.

As a young man, you'd probably be thinking about the quickest way to double your money. Its not how much you have in your bank account now that should matter but how much you wanna have for yrs to come. So lets talk wealth and I will speak from what my life's experiences have taught me.

1) Take half of that money and put it in a foreign bank's savings account. There are loads eg Standard Chartered, Barclays, Citibank etc. I say "foreign" because your money would be easily accessible from any part of the country anytime in 4 yrs without stories.

2) invest in a degree course abroad, one that is very skill-based/ hands-on and not some shitty degree like business studies or PR. Something in IT, Engineering or Health. I would suggest you pick Europe because you would save a lot of money compared to the states. Holland is a good bet as its standards are very high and their employment/affiliation rate after graduation is very high. Most times you could get a job offer during your IT and sometimes a bidding war could go on btw companies if you are good eg Computer Engineering.
Upon graduation and securing a job, you annual salary begins at 50k to 60k euros plus benefits. If you choose to go to the US or canada, expect 80000 - 100000 upwards.

3) Note, by then your savings still exist in the bank, about 27k dollars.
With work, you can increase it to 50k to 60k after 1 yr.

4) this is your capital to make the right moves to make you wealthy. With that amount, you can choose to own or get into real estate, invest in foreign stocks and bonds, start up a business or own homes in capital cities in third world countries. You can even buy acres of land in poor countries and resell them to manufacturing or retail companies.

5) Save 15 percent of your income as you work for 5 yrs. And keep buying and reinvesting in things for your future.

6) Keep intelligent, hardworking and busy people around you all the time. Don't place your family (except you are married) on monthly salaries or constant financial help. Instead ask whoever it is what they really want to do for the rest of their life. Pay for them to acquire the skill then let them fly. When you constantly hand out money to family members, you are not helping them, you are just solving temporary problems and making them dependent on you. The day you stop giving, you become their enemy.
Nigerian families can destroy a man's future. Especially when it comes to excess financial responsibilities.

For example, you pay for someone's university up until graduation, the person graduates and has been unemployed for 5 yrs. What do you think that person will do next? Look for another financial help or another saviour. The Nigerian educational system breeds people to be dependent on men and not themselves. But imagine if I paid for a poor man to learn computer programming or welding for a yr. What do you think he would do when he graduates from his course. He would empower himself first by creating.

7. Read a lot of business and psychology books. Read biographies and watch a lot of business news

8. Invest in something and not someone....every yr

If you are poor in the 5th yr after trying all these, call me up so we could arrange where to meet so I could hit you with a hammer

Good luck!

This is good advice

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:44pm On Feb 22, 2020
orunmila144:
brother i have lived in the UK and the quality of life is appaling. most of you live in council houses, you have to pay to watch your own TV (tv license ), you cant park your car on the street or it will be towed if you dont pay road tax, you have to pay for water that is free, you have to pay council tax, you cant go out after a certain time because the street is full of gangs who will stab you with knife, or chavs who will stab you with knife lmaooo. AND THEN ON THE OTHER SIDE i have been to many gated communities in lekki and these people live like superstars. they have basketballcourts, swimming pool, the water is free, no council tax no TV license. come on bro the UK is an illusion. a bad one at that

Those gated communities In Lekki abi??

Lmao

Superstars indeed

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by imustsaymymindo: 6:47pm On Feb 22, 2020
Brodapounds:
Sincerely i am interested in any legal way of leaving the country.

As long as my stay in USA is legal, then I'm fulfilled in life.

I feel the school in USA will be more easier route.

But as long as I'm the USA, i have no problem, I'm an hustler and i can make big money legally in USA because i believe in myself.

Part of why i want to go to USA is that I'm a music writer and lover, i can sing very very well but i just have to drop music and focus on making money all these years.

But i know in the USA, even if i don't sing, i write songs very well and as a member of a drama group in school, i can act very well.

So i feel USA can give me the opportunity to explore my talent.
I can sell the songs i write.

Follow your dreams, bro. But be ready to hustle.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:51pm On Feb 22, 2020
Toaskarity:
Hi, I think I might be in a good position to answer this question. I am two years older than you now, I moved to America on my 20th birthday. I just graduated from college last year.

Short answer: MOVE!!
Let's say you move
At 25 yrs old, you re still a baby. What is you life mission?
Money? There re 11 million millionaires in America(2/3 of lagosians) and most are in their thirties. In the whole of African continent only 144 thousands millionaire out 1 billion ppl. Nigeria has about 500.
Quality of life?
Average life expectancy here is almost 80 yrs unlike where you are right now with 53 yrs (at 25 yrs old 50% your life gone).
Your worth as american vs naija
$59,000.00 gdp per cap
$2000.00 gdp per cap

It will be a struggle at first but I promise you it is nothing compared to struggle in a third world. Your struggle here is different from the struggle in Nigeria; basic things such as food, water, housing, electricity and even car will never be a problem. You concentrating in school and not getting carried away might be the struggle for you. I said this cos I noticed naija guys that achieve little thing back home wants same life real quick here with out going through the process. If you have same mindset stay tf back home. Also choose the right field in school too. My suggestion: computer, medical ( do something that get you a Certificate)

4-5 years from now (29-30) your life will be amazing.Aleast as a graduate with above college field is 60k and above a year (21 million naira) You will make your money back with a better life.You can literally afford anything anybody in most part of the world can afford.

I have been to Nigeria twice since I moved here, i swear to God what people define as development in Nigeria is not, it's just hype including lekki this or that.Nothing has changed since I left Nigeria and nothing will happen anytime soon. Yes there will be few road construction here and there and block houses but my brother pack your bag and get tf out!! It is home and will always be home. You can always visit or move back if you feel like it.

Ps: I assume you are so sure visa will be given to you if you haven't or not sure. I want to remind to remind you that American visa is hard and it's better to improve your life in Nigeria than throw away money for visa

You have spoken well

2 Likes

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by DonMekino(m): 6:56pm On Feb 22, 2020
Brodapounds:
what kind of business?
same business that yielded 20mil+.....or is it illegit

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Bianda24: 7:03pm On Feb 22, 2020
Boy, with the rate of kidnap, insurgence and bandit that are prevalent in Nigeria, quickly run out of this country and start a new life where your mind will be at rest.

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by jorez: 7:21pm On Feb 22, 2020
Broda I sincerely feel if you had man that money in a hard earn way as its often said at your age,you wont be asking this kind of question instinctive you would have leverage on the hussle formula and probably become one of the future Dagotes with unlimited access to any country of ur choice, let my guess not be right that you got this money through fraud cus EFCC is just around you here.i would have said you could be gifted but that not part of your narrative cus you said you hussle meaning you did something that earned you that money,the only other possible option I could think of is maybe you won a lottery which in anycase you may have to prove to law enforcement agency soon.
Brodapounds:
Nice but what type of business?

But sincerely, part of the reason why i want to leave is safety of my life and my sanity.

I want my future kids to come into the world in a sane environment with top class Education.

I feel with me in the USA, i will be opening doors and opportunity for my siblings which are in school right now.

One of my sisters is studying as a nurse, i want her to work in USA as a professional Nurse and i feel with me establishing myself there, if will be possible.

I don't think about myself only, as the eldest child and son, i want the best life for my siblings, so my parents will be proud of me, i want my parents to visit me freely In USA and i feel this 20 million naira is GOD answering my prayers.

Hope you understand?
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by byinks(f): 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2020
OP at 25 you are young !
Continue this your so called hussle for another 5 years and then ask yourself what you really want at age 30.

In the meantime build up your travel history. Europe, Canada , USA. Get your passport stamped and filled up.

2 Likes

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by JADEK01(m): 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2020
Brodapounds:
what kind of business?
call me,you will double the money within 6month,I base in ogbomoso am into cashew nut business,we buy and sell,instant profits
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by larrypourl(m): 7:49pm On Feb 22, 2020
My little advice for you is this. Go to an area where an higher institution is situated. Universities or Polytechnics. Buy One and half plots each at two different locations and build hostel on them. One property should accommodate at least 20 rooms of A room self-contained. I meant each room with bathroom/toilet and kitchen and beautify the place and see how students would rush it.
20 rooms on 1 and half plot on one and another 20 rooms on another 1 and half plot. Totalling 40 rooms.

40 rooms × at least 50k per room = 2m Yearly. Some hostels sef goes as high as 120k annually here, depends on the finishing.

You'll even have enough left after completing the projects, and mind you, the investment is for life because accommodation keeps increasing daily.

Finally Go back to here and before you finish you'd have saved from the hostel rents paid to start up other business.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by byinks(f): 7:59pm On Feb 22, 2020
orunmila144:
if you tell people they think you dont want them too go and enjoy UK. llet them go and find out themself. Go to mental health hospital in UK it is full of depressed nigerians. they think say theyy wan come heaven for UK them come enter hell and their mind couldnt deal with the disappointment and the stress so they went mad. go to any mentall facility in UK its full of nigerians. HELL ON EARTH

Walahi...you're a confirm UK veteran

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by bendazum: 8:19pm On Feb 22, 2020
itsme01:

smiley

Split your money into two, invest half into stocks of a very stable company, NB , MTN, FirstBank, GTB etc and use the rest to relocate to US and start your new hustling, if you can make 20 million hustling in Nigeria, chances are you would make 100 million in US because US is for smart thinkers and not dull people.. incase if things don't work out in US you can always fall back to your 10million naira stock

PS: before listening to people telling you to do business, 90% of all start ups in Nigeria don't survive the 3 years mark, forex changes, bad government policy, fraudulent staffs and all would finish your capital

For your information, there's nothing like a stable stocks.

Wait until government wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and decide to close the company or insurgency decides to blow up the company.

I remember vividly how shares worth #150 that year fell down to #34.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by itsme01: 8:23pm On Feb 22, 2020
bendazum:

For your information, there's nothing like a stable stocks.

Wait until government wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and decide to close the company or insurgency decides to blow up the company.

I remember vividly how shares worth #150 that year fell down to #34.

the stability I am talking about is not really about short term pricing and value or ability to get huge dividends, since he is travelling , a stock of a blue chip type with years of being listed on the stock market, plenty of asset and performing properly, would be better in securing his money, rather than a bank that can liquidate at any given time
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Cvesta(m): 8:44pm On Feb 22, 2020
fuugee:
If your dream and desire is to leave Nigeria for a well thought out plan you want to execute in the U.S, then go for it. N20m is a reasonable amount of money to cover your expenses for a while in the U.S. Life abroad has its challenges but overall is more rewarding for hardworking and enterprising folks. I live in the U.S and I'll tell you that there are a ton of opportunities to make money here. Many people keep talking about starting a business with the savings you have but the business terrain in Nigeria is not conducive, unpredictable and volatile. So dude my 2cents to you is to leave if you can.

Thanks for this piece of advice
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by sweetilicious(f): 8:45pm On Feb 22, 2020
Brodapounds:
Nice but what type of business?

But sincerely, part of the reason why i want to leave is safety of my life and my sanity.

I want my future kids to come into the world in a sane environment with top class Education.

I feel with me in the USA, i will be opening doors and opportunity for my siblings which are in school right now.

One of my sisters is studying as a nurse, i want her to work in USA as a professional Nurse and i feel with me establishing myself there, if will be possible.

I don't think about myself only, as the eldest child and son, i want the best life for my siblings, so my parents will be proud of me, i want my parents to visit me freely In USA and i feel this 20 million naira is GOD answering my prayers.

Hope you understand?
If its possible for you to travel to the USA your dream country, please go.If you go with this mantra of investing it here,dude the money will finish on expenses before you know it.Nigeria is an enjoyment ground.You will buy cars,build house,carry women, drink with friends, dash people money,pay careless workers with no dedication etc.Before you know it,you don dey regret am.
ADVICE: This is a building time.If you can invest in importation of goods from china,please do. Migrate to USA through studies while also working on student visa.Your plans of having your kids in a saner cline is also a good decision. Nigeria has no vision,mission and target.Investing in such an entity is dangerous. You will definitely regret it in 25years time.Foreigners migrate to other countries for so many reasons. Migrate at least for a healthy mindset and a place that have value for human life.I swear,your family won't regret this your strong decision. Move to where you will utilize your youth age wella.Dont waste it in Nigeria.Our leaders are MAD!

1 Like

Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Legendguru: 9:08pm On Feb 22, 2020
Many in america are looking to raise that for several years look inward and invest in your country and multiply that cash
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Sammarshall(f): 9:12pm On Feb 22, 2020
Please my dear, don’t waste that money in Nigeria. You will regret it, please use the money and establish yourself like getting an admission of a professional course like nursing or any health course. (Or any lucrative course, check online to see what is applicable)

It will make you to stand out and easily get a job in USA.

You can even get married to a USA citizen to solidify your stay.

Please don’t waste that money God have given you, if only what you claimed here is really.
Re: With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
The "hustle" that gave you 20 million at 25 why don't you continue the same hustle.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply)

Where The Rich Live In Abuja, Nigeria (pics, Video) / Can You Allow This Okada Rider Take You To Your Destination? Photo / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.