Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? (10093 Views)

Sunday Igboho Is A Hero – Reno Omokri Says As Yoruba Nation Rally Holds In Lagos / Heavy Protests In Port-Harcourt As INEC Suspends Rivers Governorship Results / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by itsme01: 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2020
cool

Ndi Marginalisation at it again

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by ANSMEDIA: 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2020
Most companies in PH do their advert in igbo language

9 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Okoroawusa: 6:41pm On Feb 22, 2020
kayfra:
Port Harcout is Ikwerre and Ikwrerre have said for the umpteenth time that they aren't Igbo. They trace their roots to Edo and by extension Yorubaland grin
Read the post again. You are not getting what the op is saying.
It's neither an igbo superiority thread. If it is I will be the first to shout the op down ( that is if you know me well enough on Nairaland). Neither it is an IPOB thread.
Rather it's a thought provoking write up bordering on sociology n Philosophy of language.
Let me sit back n see the out come of this thread. I don't know much about Port Harcourt but being a reasearcher I think this topic is worth researching on.

Thanks op.

Mynd44 please don't let this thread die.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Okoroawusa: 6:45pm On Feb 22, 2020
ANSMEDIA:
Yes I noticed that when I visit n also most people born n bred in PH has this Igbotic way of speaking English. Which is characteristic of most youths n people born in the Igbo towns like Aba,Enugu,Awka,Onitsha,Owerri n so on.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 7:01pm On Feb 22, 2020
Techdra:
Port Harcourt and Rivers in general aren't Igbo. It's just like saying, Delta State, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River or Bayelsa is Igbo.

Compare Onitsha or Aba to Lagos in that sense.
saying that PH is igbo is not the same thing as saying that Delta State, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River or Bayelsa is Igbo.

Who taught you book?

Ph can be Igbo while some other parts of rivers state isn't...

Besides the op is asking why ikwere (which is a very igboid language) is not spoken in pH like yoruba is spoken in Lagos

Blind hate for igbos make some of you sound unintelligent

10 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by rummmy: 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2020
Is ILORIN a Yoruba or a Fulani city,.....?.... I have spent 2 weeks here but could not see anyone speaking Yoruba, I'm still confused.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by kayfra: 7:06pm On Feb 22, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Read the post again. You are not getting what the op is saying.
It's neither an igbo superiority thread. If it is I will be the first to shout the op down ( that e if you know me well enough on Nairaland). Neither it is an IPOB thread.
Rather it's a thought provoking write up bordering on sociology n Philosophy of language.
Let me sit back n see the out come of this thread. I don't know much about Port Harcourt but being a reasearcher I think this topic is worth researching on.

Thanks op.

Mynd44 please don't let this thread die.

Of course I know it's rather alluding to the weakness of the Igbo claim on anything Port Harcourt. But I gotta spite them given any opportunity. Good fart target grin

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by itsme01: 7:13pm On Feb 22, 2020
rummmy:
Is ILORIN a Yoruba or a Fulani city,.....?.... I have spent 2 weeks here but could not see anyone speaking Yoruba, I'm still confused.

grin

Ibo man so what language is spoken in ilorin

7 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Blackking98(m): 7:36pm On Feb 22, 2020
The person that created this topic has sinister plans. Lagos is a homogeneous Yoruba state, River's is not a homogeneous Igbo state, it's not even in the SE, so why the useless comparison? Compare Lagos with IMO or anambra when you're talking. The op posted this thread with the plan in mind as follows; to make igbos come out and claim Port Harcourt then non igbos in Rivers and the SS atlarge will dispute the fact.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Blackking98(m): 7:37pm On Feb 22, 2020
Then we'll start fighting each other while the afonja will be laughing and rolling on the ground. Please ignore the idiot I'm from akwa ibom btw

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by gidgiddy: 7:42pm On Feb 22, 2020
Techdra:

Our people?! I wonder what part of we are not brothers don't you understand?! You have oil, the west has oil, the north does have oil so there's nothing like 'oil politics'

You may have similarities in language and culture but that doesn't mean you're the same. No Rivers man (Ijaw or Ikwerre) will ever accept the tag of Igbo. Same with the rest of the SS. Everyone has his identity, deal with and stop forcing cohabitation...

It doesnt matter what tag Ikwerre people give themselves. What is important is that there is no difference between an Ikwerre from River state and an Ngwa man from from Abia or an Nsukka from Enugu state

They all speak the same ancestral language and practice the same culture. Whatever they choose to tag themselves doesnt take away they fact that they are all one people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by PicLtd: 7:44pm On Feb 22, 2020
Anytime I enter Pitakwa, I speak Igbo and I get understood.

Go there and pretend not to understand English or even pidgin if you speak Igbo, you will still get very much understood and do your business, to the chagrin of Nylon-poo flingers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by SlayerForever: 7:59pm On Feb 22, 2020
PicLtd:
Anytime I enter Pitakwa, I speak Igbo and I get understood.

Go there and pretend not to understand English or even pidgin if you speak Igbo, you will still get very much understood and do your business, to the chagrin of Nylon-poo flingers.

I do this too grin. Do you know initially some pretend they don't understand what you're saying. Chai. Politics. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 8:15pm On Feb 22, 2020
gidgiddy:

It doesnt matter what tag Ikwerre people give themselves. What is important is that there is no difference between an Ikwerre from River state and an Ngwa man from from Abia or an Nsukka from Enugu state

They all speak the same ancestral language and practice the same culture. Whatever they choose to tag themselves doesnt take away they fact that they are all one people

Nope. They aren't one. They've decided to carve out an identity for themselves no matter who they bear cultural similarities with. They prefer being known as the Ikwerre people so deal with it and stop being parasites...

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Iamgrey5(m): 8:21pm On Feb 22, 2020
rummmy:
You mean ilorin in Abia?

6 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by gidgiddy: 8:27pm On Feb 22, 2020
Techdra:

Nope. They aren't one. They've decided to carve out an identity for themselves no matter who they bear cultural similarities with. They prefer being known as the Ikwerre people so deal with it and stop being parasites...

The Ngwa man is also known as the Ngwa man
The Abiriba man is the Abiriba man
The Aro man is the Aro man
The Nsukka man is the Nsukka man
The Abakiliki man is the Abakiliki man

The Ikwerre man is the Ikwerre man

Their no difference between all these people, no matter what tag they give themselves

They all speak the Igbo language as their ancestral language, they all have Igbo surnames and they all practice Igbo culture

There is no difference between them

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by tsdarkside(m): 8:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
because ph is not igbo....its a multi ethnic city....

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 8:40pm On Feb 22, 2020
gidgiddy:

The Ngwa man is also known as the Ngwa man
The Abiriba man is the Abiriba man
The Aro man is the Aro man
The Nsukka man is the Nsukka man
The Abakiliki man is the Abakiliki man

The Ikwerre man is the Ikwerre man

Their no difference between all these people, no matter what tag they give themselves

They all speak the Igbo language as their ancestral language, they all have Igbo surnames and they all practice Igbo culture

There is no difference between them

Bla bla bla. It won't change anything. They're Ikwerres and should be allowed to create an identity for themselves without being harassed. No be by force to answer Igbo. We no dey carry drugs.

7 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 8:45pm On Feb 22, 2020
selemempe:
saying that PH is igbo is not the same thing as saying that Delta State, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River or Bayelsa is Igbo.

Who taught you book?

Ph can be Igbo while some other parts of rivers state isn't...

Besides the op is asking why ikwere (which is a very igboid language) is not spoken in pH like yoruba is spoken in Lagos

Blind hate for igbos make some of you sound unintelligent

Another dry and totally unrelated mention. The entire South-South states are all multi-ethnic so a language or tribe can't claim dominance or superiority over others.

7 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by spiritmasquerad(m): 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Nobody is parent to anybody, the main point is that we all descent from the same ancestral stock of people. Hence why all our dialects share great degrees of mutual intelligibility. The biggest shrine of Amadioha/Kamalu is somewhere in Rivers state.
Oil politics is really doing a lot of damage to the psyche of some of our people.
In a way it quite similar to Northern Delta state the fact is in place like that were different people with different ancestral root but some how starts speaking similar language will away make it hard for one to thrive
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by spiritmasquerad(m): 8:57pm On Feb 22, 2020
gidgiddy:

I do not agree for example am from Delta state, Idumuje Unor to be precise but I don't identify as igbo because according to our history we immigrant from Benin and it was actually Idumunje Unor before the white man came and kept confusing the two but what am saying is that they are differences between a PH Ikwerres person and the average Igbo man and that why they speak subigbo language if anyone pays attention you will notice that Efik sound a lot like Igbo but that doesn't make them Igbo

5 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Firstpage: 9:09pm On Feb 22, 2020
rummmy:

They all speak igbo in Ilorin.

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by lx3as(m): 9:10pm On Feb 22, 2020
mbos:

WHICH ROOT?
YOUR " DIVIDE AND RULE ROOT"

the traditional ruler of portharcout is know as
List of rulers of Rebisi
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo, Eze Apara Rebisi IV
HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo Mati, Eze Apara Rebisi V
HRM Eze Elikwu Woruji, Eze Apara Rebisi VI
HRM Eze Elikwu Dike, Eze Apara Rebisi VII
HRM Eze Elikwu Worluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi VIII
HRM Eze Phillip Elikwu, Eze Apara Rebisi IX
HRM Eze Victor Weli Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi X
HRM Eze Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi XI
HRM Eze Victor Nnanna Woluchem II, Eze Apara Rebisi XII[2]

atisfied with the successful burial of its leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s parents, In Isiama Afaraukwu Umuahia, Abia State, the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday said that attendance by people from the 11 States of old Eastern Region, now divided into the South East and South-South, was an indication that they are united in pursuit of freedom. The old Eastern Region is made up of Abia, Imo, Enugu Ebonyi, Anambra, Edo, Delta Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom States.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/nnamdi-kanus-parents-burial-unites-old-eastern-region-in-umuahia/

Edo and Delta in old Eastern Region...? There is nothing one will not read on Nairaland.

That we have Oba of Ogbaland in Rivers and Ìfẹ in Igalaland and Igala language almost 70% intelligible with Yoruba do not make these people Yorubas.

Just as Igala language is Yoruboid and the people are not Yorubas, Ikwere language is igboid and they are not Igbos; same thing applies to Ika and others in Delta and Rivers who claim Bini origin but using igboid language.

8 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Feb 22, 2020
ANSMEDIA:

Please specify their ads, billboard ads or via radio/TV ads?

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by yesloaded: 9:29pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:
I have always wondered this question.
Both cities are melting pots. But somehow Lagos has managed to entrench a foundational Yoruba character both linguistically and socially.
In the case of Port Harcourt that can't really be said for the city. I know there is an Ijaw (Okrika) part of the city, but it is quite small, and the greater part of Port Harcourt is basically Ikwerre. The lingua franca for 90% of PH is idgin.
Infact, very soon Oyigbo/Obigbo and Port Harcourt will merge into one. Is this how an Ikwerre-Igbo city is going to ditch it's heritage and become 'identityless'?

A non Lagosian can pick up standard Yoruba on Lagos Island, Ikotun, Agege or Ikorodu in 1 year if they are interested in doing so, but a Nigerian will rarely pick up neither Ikwere nor Igbo after living decades in Port Harcourt? Why?
Port Harcourt is not 100% Igbo land, Lagos state is 100% Yoruba Land

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by eagleu: 9:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
Marshalldrezzy:
Wtf
Port Harcourt is never an Igbo state be warned we ain't Igbo....
angry

What a big illiterate!
Go learn what these mean, ok
1. Igweocha
2. Obigbo
3. Umumasi

Then come back with a clear head when you have enough information.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by AworiLagosian: 9:37pm On Feb 22, 2020
E dey pain u o ga-gauuuun!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by bigfrancis21: 9:40pm On Feb 22, 2020
SlayerForever:

I do this too grin. Do you know initially some pretend they don't understand what you're saying. Chai. Politics. grin

I experienced this too myself. On one occassion, I clearly heard an Etche woman road seller chiding her son in Igbo (Etche). I walked up to her to buy something and spoke Igbo to her and she snubbed me like she didn't understand. I repeated myself and she spoke English instead. Another time, I needed directions to somewhere as I was lost and I approached two women speaking clear Igbo just like any two ladies in Enugu or Owerri (honestly I thought they were regular SE folks) and I approached them and said, bikonu a na m acho ebe a na-ere xyz (i've forgotten what exactly I was looking to buy in that mini market) and they both turned and gave me this very dirty nasty look like how dare I approach them and speak Igbo without knowing if they were Igbo or not. They just hurriedly pointed at the place in a quick hand gesture, like go go and get out of here. I simply said thanks and walked away. Many Rivers folks will feign ignorance of the Igbo language to regular SE folks but speak the same language within themselves.

I was born in PH myself but left when I was a kid but visited much later severally as an adult. With what you hear or read about PH online, I was much surprised when I visited PH in person. It was just like any other SE Igbo state, no difference. Igbo/Igboid language being spoken everywhere, Igbo songs being played everywhere, Igbo songs being sung at fellowships and churches, Ikwerre burial ads everywhere that were just like what I was familiar with in Owerri etc. I would often hear Ikwerre spoken here and there and understood what was being said. I remember one Ikwerre woman shouting at her child, 'm mgbolo gi aka mbra' or so (I will slap you now) and I understood her immediately even though it was my first time hearing 'mgbolo' and 'mbra'. While eating at a buka one day in PH, I also witnessed one Ikwerre girl, Chichi being called 'this Igbo girl' by a Hausa customer and she was defiantly denying being Igbo but Ikwerre instead etc.

Sometimes, what is portrayed online can paint a totally different picture from reality. Going by what I experienced, PH is majority Igbo/minority others. Igbo and Pidgin are spoken hand in hand in the city.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by flokii: 9:42pm On Feb 22, 2020
Lagos (Eko) is owned by Yorubas.. Ph has its indigenous people just like Bayelsa, Cross-River etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by centboy123456(m): 9:46pm On Feb 22, 2020
Techdra:
Port Harcourt and Rivers in general aren't Igbo. It's just like saying, Delta State, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River or Bayelsa is Igbo.

Compare Onitsha or Aba to Lagos in that sense.

we have Delta igbo the govern of delta state is an igbo man and am from the igbo speaking part of delta state pls say what u know

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Yalakatasa: 10:03pm On Feb 22, 2020
[s]
itsme01:

grin

Ibo man so what language is spoken in ilorin
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by 0m0nnakoda: 10:04pm On Feb 22, 2020
It is a dying language

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Is The Proof That Lagos Explosion Was A Bomb Blast / Street Begging Is Un-Islamic And A Taboo - Hadi Sirika / Protest: Police Warn Against Violence As Labour Gives Fresh Condions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.