Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,415 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? (10091 Views)

Sunday Igboho Is A Hero – Reno Omokri Says As Yoruba Nation Rally Holds In Lagos / Heavy Protests In Port-Harcourt As INEC Suspends Rivers Governorship Results / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by 0m0nnakoda: 10:07pm On Feb 22, 2020
eagleu:

What a big illiterate!
Go learn what these mean, ok

1. Igweocha
2. Obigbo
3. Umumasi

Then come back with a clear head when you have enough information.
1. Rebisi Kingdom
2. Oyigbo
3. Rumuomasi

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 10:08pm On Feb 22, 2020
Techdra:

Another dry and totally unrelated mention. The entire South-South states are all multi-ethnic so a language or tribe can't claim dominance or superiority over others.

Asaba is in a Multiethnic state, but I can do everything I want to do comfortably speaking igbo only in Asaba.
Your argument can't hold H2o

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 10:13pm On Feb 22, 2020
yesloaded:

Port Harcourt is not 100% Igbo land, Lagos state is 100% Yoruba Land

Lagos is not 100% Yoruba land. There are places in Lagos where Yotuba is not their ancestral language . like Ikoga Zebbe or Sagbokodji for example.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Yalakatasa: 10:18pm On Feb 22, 2020
[s]
itsme01:
cool

Ndi Marginalisation at it again

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by JonDon12: 10:50pm On Feb 22, 2020
Marshalldrezzy:
Wtf
Port Harcourt is never an Igbo state be warned we ain't Igbo....
angry

Who are you warning? yourself?. So who does PH belong to ?Port Harcourt is Ibo. The real name is Ugwu Ocha. PH Is was and is still being built by the Ibos. Technically it belongs to no one tribe by itself but the Ibos are dominant. \

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by angelfallz(m): 11:03pm On Feb 22, 2020
There are many reasons for this. But the reason I would want to point out is that the Igbo language itself, is dying out. Even in cities like Enugu, you'll notice that Igbo speakers (I don't mean those that speak one or two words in Igbo And then use English to complete the sentence) are few. So, if the Igbo language is not prominent in a major Igbo capital like Enugu logically it wouldn't be prominent in other cities close to Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Collins4u1(m): 11:21pm On Feb 22, 2020
My own is if you don't like me because I'm Igbo I too don't like you
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by toolovely(m): 11:25pm On Feb 22, 2020
Foxman19:
The issue I always have with igbo is that of I'm your parents and you are not my parents.

Try and understand his questions first before rushing to start calling Igbo this Igbo that...
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Collins4u1(m): 11:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
centboy123456:

we have Delta igbo the govern of delta state is an igbo man and am from the igbo speaking part of delta state pls say what u know

Don't mind that boundary dragging fella, I'm sure he doesn't know where he's from.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by toolovely(m): 11:48pm On Feb 22, 2020
This thread have been diverted.

Meanwhile,

I was coming back from work one evening, I got to rumuola play ground, I was hearing drum beats, I thought I was in my village. Guess what, it was a local wrestling match. The same method it's been done in my village.
Maybe tomorrow, an Ngwa man will say he's not Igbo that he's Ngwa or Nsukka saying he's not Igbo but Nsukka.

Ikwerre people are the only people in Nigeria that found their identities in the '70s....

You claim to be from Benin and no one just one bears Benin name but all Igbo. I have a friend that their family name is Agwu from Umuadaolu, I was thinking he's from Ohafia.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by toolovely(m): 11:52pm On Feb 22, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

1. Rebisi Kingdom
2. Oyigbo
3. Rumuomasi

Oyigbo is just on paper... It's called Obigbo in pH.
All the Rs added before the civil war?

Ikwerre people no de even shame. You only identify unaselves in the 60s and 70s

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Iamgrey5(m): 11:53pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Lagos is not 100% Yoruba land. There are places in Lagos where Yotuba is not their ancestral language . like Ikoga Zebbe or Sagbokodji for example.
You are taking about tiny communities within badagary with historical records of migrating into the areas they now occupy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Picadelly(m): 12:54am On Feb 23, 2020
Port Harcourt is not an igbo land...but indigenes of Rivers State do go to igbo states to marry there women..

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Mraphel: 12:55am On Feb 23, 2020
Eziokwu1:

You're not igbo dont insult my tribe
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by tricksters: 1:07am On Feb 23, 2020
If you go tru NL you will see more foolish Igbo doing exactly what the OP did to other tribes with people like u cautioning them.

BUSINESSARENAA:
What is this foolishness about Igbo?
Its been obsevered that recently people open very foolish threads just to smite the Igbos.

Imagine the OP? why did you not compare Lagos and Anambra, or Imo in terms of localised tribal dialect?

But exposed your foolishness asking of a state in South South ?

Please leave this foolish Igbo hatred and do something useful with your life.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by XANDERBOY85: 1:12am On Feb 23, 2020
BUSINESSARENAA:
What is this foolishness about Igbo?
Its been obsevered that recently people open very foolish threads just to smite the Igbos.

Imagine the OP? why did you not compare Lagos and Anambra, or Imo in terms of localised tribal dialect?

But exposed your foolishness asking of a state in South South ?

Please leave this foolish Igbo hatred and do something useful with your life.

And they usually use Igbo monikers to make it appear all 'innocent'! wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by gidgiddy: 2:10am On Feb 23, 2020
angelfallz:
There are many reasons for this. But the reason I would want to point out is that the Igbo language itself, is dying out. Even in cities like Enugu, you'll notice that Igbo speakers (I don't mean those that speak one or two words in Igbo And then use English to complete the sentence) are few. So, if the Igbo language is not prominent in a major Igbo capital like Enugu logically it wouldn't be prominent in other cities close to Igbo land.

I have to agree and something has to be done drastically about it. Younger generations of Igbos are finding it increasingly hard to speak Igbo without half of it being in English. Its terrible

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 3:01am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Another dry and totally unrelated mention. The entire South-South states are all multi-ethnic so a language or tribe can't claim dominance or superiority over others.
you my friend are just acting like a block head without the ability to reason deeply

Let me ask you...as the entire south south states are multi ethnic, why is Ibibio the dominant language in Uyo? Why not pigeon English?
Why is ijaw the dominant language in yenagua why not pigeon English?

You are the one who is guilty of quoting a thread you didn't understand and talking trash that is unrelated to what the op was saying...and 4 dull people even liked your silly comment...great

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 3:13am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Nope. They aren't one. They've decided to carve out an identity for themselves no matter who they bear cultural similarities with. They prefer being known as the Ikwerre people so deal with it and stop being parasites...
they have decided?
Child please you can't decide to change your tribe or race! It's part of your DNA ...a blackman can't decide he is no longer black... you can change your nationality or sub-nationality...but you can't change tribe or race. If you bring an ikwere man, an Igbo man and a yoruba man and check their RNA, the ikwere and the Igbo will match 100% while the yoruba will be different.

And hey ....it seems you have not been paying attention...Igbos are dealing with it. Why do you think we are always talking about this issue? Go to Wikipedia and read about ikwere and see what smart Igbos are doing about it. Go to pH itself and see how Igbos are strategically acquiring it. It will be childish of any 'we the south south' folks to think that if Nigeria splits today Igbos will abandon pH to Niger Delta Republic....it will not happen!

pH is too strategic to us...it is our only link to the ocean.... Oh ijaw and the rest of the south south should be ready to kill every igbo for pH before we leave our god's given land to you just because of threats

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Youngmaster0(m): 3:22am On Feb 23, 2020
spiritmasquerad:

I do not agree for example am from Delta state, Idumuje Unor to be precise but I don't identify as igbo because according to our history we immigrant from Benin and it was actually Idumunje Unor before the white man came and kept confusing the two but what am saying is that they are differences between a PH Ikwerres person and the average Igbo man and that why they speak subigbo language if anyone pays attention you will notice that Efik sound a lot like Igbo but that doesn't make them Igbo

How did the white man came and confused the two.... One thing was certain they whiteman never did, was trying to change the indigenous identification.. There are 2 ways you can adopt a language, either you were colonized by those people and force to learn their language or you are part of those people..

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by vonxe: 3:22am On Feb 23, 2020
rummmy:
Is ILORIN a Yoruba or a Fulani city,.....?.... I have spent 2 weeks here but could not see anyone speaking Yoruba, I'm still confused.

Liar!!!
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Dedetwo(m): 4:10am On Feb 23, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Nobody is parent to anybody, the main point is that we all descent from the same ancestral stock of people. Hence why all our dialects share great degrees of mutual intelligibility. The biggest shrine of Amadioha/Kamalu is somewhere in Rivers state.
Oil politics is really doing a lot of damage to the psyche of some of our people.

The most respectable deity in Igweocha (Port Harcourt) is OJUKWU. The powerful Ojukwu Diobu (Diobi)
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Dedetwo(m): 4:13am On Feb 23, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

1. Rebisi Kingdom
2. Oyigbo
3. Rumuomasi

There was never a time Obigbo was part of Ikwerre or named Oyigbo before the draconian boundary adjustment of Nigeria by Yari.ba . Obigbo belongs to IPU in Asa County Council in 60s.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by nengibo: 5:44am On Feb 23, 2020
ANSMEDIA:
It is. I saw this by DANO the recently I went to PH
Towards second artillery, the company wants to reach an Igbo audience found in the city
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Haywhysat: 5:49am On Feb 23, 2020
mbos:

WHICH ROOT?
YOUR " DIVIDE AND RULE ROOT"

the traditional ruler of portharcout is know as
List of rulers of Rebisi
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo, Eze Apara Rebisi IV
HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo Mati, Eze Apara Rebisi V
HRM Eze Elikwu Woruji, Eze Apara Rebisi VI
HRM Eze Elikwu Dike, Eze Apara Rebisi VII
HRM Eze Elikwu Worluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi VIII
HRM Eze Phillip Elikwu, Eze Apara Rebisi IX
HRM Eze Victor Weli Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi X
HRM Eze Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi XI
HRM Eze Victor Nnanna Woluchem II, Eze Apara Rebisi XII[2]

atisfied with the successful burial of its leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s parents, In Isiama Afaraukwu Umuahia, Abia State, the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday said that attendance by people from the 11 States of old Eastern Region, now divided into the South East and South-South, was an indication that they are united in pursuit of freedom. The old Eastern Region is made up of Abia, Imo, Enugu Ebonyi, Anambra, Edo, Delta Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom States.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/nnamdi-kanus-parents-burial-unites-old-eastern-region-in-umuahia/
delta and edo were never part of the old Eastern region, read wide

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 6:16am On Feb 23, 2020
nengibo:

Towards second artillery, the company wants to reach an Igbo audience found in the city
lol okay nengibo please can you translate it to 'ikwerre' for us

Hahahaha... keep shooting yourself in the leg defending the indefensible

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by 0m0nnakoda: 6:46am On Feb 23, 2020
Dedetwo:

There was never a time Obigbo was part of Ikwerre or named Oyigbo before the draconian boundary adjustment of Nigeria by Yari.ba . Obigbo belongs to IPU in Asa County Council in 60s.
There never was a time Oyigbo was part of Port Harcourt
It was always called Oyigbo
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 7:18am On Feb 23, 2020
centboy123456:

we have Delta igbo the govern of delta state is an igbo man and am from the igbo speaking part of delta state pls say what u know

Delta has Urhobo, Isoko, Ijaw, Itshekiri, Ika, Anioma all in the same state. So which one is dominant? None! That's being homogenous so no one can say Delta is an Igbo state.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 7:19am On Feb 23, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Asaba is in a Multiethnic state, but I can do everything I want to do comfortably speaking igbo only in Asaba.
Your argument can't hold H2o

Asaba a state? Who tha f**k is this illiterate?!

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 7:31am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Delta has Urhobo, Isoko, Ijaw, Itshekiri, Ika, Anioma all in the same state. So which one is dominant? None! That's being homogenous so no one can say Delta is an Igbo state.
who said Rivers state was an Igbo state?

What has been said is that Port Harcourt which is only a small part of Rivers state is igbo
Your arguments are childish joor
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 7:32am On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
you my friend are just acting like a block head without the ability to reason deeply

Let me ask you...as the entire south south states are multi ethnic, why is Ibibio the dominant language in Uyo? Why not pigeon English?
Why is ijaw the dominant language in yenagua why not pigeon English?

You are the one who is guilty of quoting a thread you didn't understand and talking trash that is unrelated to what the op was saying...and 4 dull people even liked your silly comment...great

Uyo is now a state? You don't even know who you're forcing yourself on... In Akwa Ibom, there are the Annangs, Oron, Eket, Ibeno, Itu Mbonuso and the Andonis. All different tribes! Same with all South-South states.

And next time, trying reading and understanding before replying.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 7:35am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Uyo is now a state? You don't even know who you're forcing yourself on... In Akwa Ibom, there are the Annangs, Oron, Eket, Ibeno, Itu Mbonuso and the Andonis. All different tribes! Same with all South-South states.

And next time, trying reading and understanding before replying.
when did I say Uyo was a state this boy? Come oh are you sure I'm not arguing with a kid

I asked you which language is spoken in Uyo city....is it pigeon English?

You should read and understand before you reply so that you won't fool around

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill 15 Traders In Katsina / Abaribe: 2018 Budget Totally Fictitious… Already Dead On Arrival / 80 Million Nigerians Lack Access To Electricity – World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.