Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? (10124 Views)

Sunday Igboho Is A Hero – Reno Omokri Says As Yoruba Nation Rally Holds In Lagos / Heavy Protests In Port-Harcourt As INEC Suspends Rivers Governorship Results / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 2:52pm On Feb 22, 2020
I have always wondered this question.
Both cities are melting pots. But somehow Lagos has managed to entrench a foundational Yoruba character both linguistically and socially.
In the case of Port Harcourt that can't really be said for the city. I know there is an Ijaw (Okrika) part of the city, but it is quite small, and the greater part of Port Harcourt is basically Ikwerre. The lingua franca for 90% of PH is idgin.
Infact, very soon Oyigbo/Obigbo and Port Harcourt will merge into one. Is this how an Ikwerre-Igbo city is going to ditch it's heritage and become 'identityless'?

A non Lagosian can pick up standard Yoruba on Lagos Island, Ikotun, Agege or Ikorodu in 1 year if they are interested in doing so, but a Nigerian will rarely pick up neither Ikwere nor Igbo after living decades in Port Harcourt? Why?

8 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by kayfra: 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2020
Port Harcout is Ikwerre and Ikwrerre have said for the umpteenth time that they aren't Igbo. They trace their roots to Edo and by extension Yorubaland grin

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Biafrarep(m): 2:59pm On Feb 22, 2020
Your question is totally illogical. If you truly understand the make up of both cities you won't be asking such question.

Lagos is a homogeneous city surrounded by a homogeneous tribe while P.Harcourt is a heterogeneous city surrounded by a heterogeneous region.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Marshalldrezzy(m): 3:00pm On Feb 22, 2020
Wtf
Port Harcourt is never an Igbo state be warned we ain't Igbo....
angry

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 3:02pm On Feb 22, 2020
Biafrarep:
Your question is totally illogical. If you truly understand the make up of both cities you won't be asking such question.

Lagos is a homogeneous city surrounded by a homogeneous tribe while P.Harcourt is a heterogeneous city surrounded by a heterogeneous region.

PH is surrounded by Ikwerre, Etche, Egbema and Ndoki lands on almost every side except in the south where it shares border with groups from another linguistic phylla. Bros Port Harcourt is broadly Igboid. you can't pretend like you don't know.
And as the PH metro continues to grow, it is expanding more and more inland towards the igboid parts to the north since there is no space for expansion in the waterlogged southern part.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2020
Marshalldrezzy:
Wtf
angry

Exactly my question. Why isn't your Ikwerre language of any importance in the city if you claim to be non-Igbos?

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Foxman19: 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2020
The issue I always have with igbo is that of I'm your parents and you are not my parents.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by mbos: 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2020
Marshalldrezzy(
whyare in shock?
the traditional ruler of portharcout is know as
List of rulers of Rebisi
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo, Eze Apara Rebisi IV
HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo Mati, Eze Apara Rebisi V
HRM Eze Elikwu Woruji, Eze Apara Rebisi VI
HRM Eze Elikwu Dike, Eze Apara Rebisi VII
HRM Eze Elikwu Worluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi VIII
HRM Eze Phillip Elikwu, Eze Apara Rebisi IX
HRM Eze Victor Weli Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi X
HRM Eze Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi XI
HRM Eze Victor Nnanna Woluchem II, Eze Apara Rebisi XII[2]

References

i hope u know the meaning of EZE in the eastern Igboland

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 3:09pm On Feb 22, 2020
What is this foolishness about Igbo?
Its been obsevered that recently people open very foolish threads just to smite the Igbos.

Imagine the OP? why did you not compare Lagos and Anambra, or Imo in terms of localised tribal dialect?

But exposed your foolishness asking of a state in South South ?

Please leave this foolish Igbo hatred and do something useful with your life.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 3:12pm On Feb 22, 2020
Foxman19:
The issue I always have with igbo is that of I'm your parents and you are not my parents.

Nobody is parent to anybody, the main point is that we all descent from the same ancestral stock of people. Hence why all our dialects share great degrees of mutual intelligibility. The biggest shrine of Amadioha/Kamalu is somewhere in Rivers state.
Oil politics is really doing a lot of damage to the psyche of some of our people.

5 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 3:17pm On Feb 22, 2020
BUSINESSARENAA:
What is this foolishness about Igbo?
Its been obsevered that recently people open very foolish threads just to smite the Igbos.

Imagine the OP? why did you not compare Lagos and Anambra, or Imo in terms of localised tribal dialect?

But exposed your foolishness asking of a state in South South ?

Please leave this foolish Igbo hatred and do something useful with your life.

Biko what is "South South" you this Yoruba man?
There are plenty Igbo regions in the so called 'southern south southerly south', so keep your filthy leprous hands AWAY from this thread!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by opuambe(m): 3:17pm On Feb 22, 2020
kayfra:
Port Harcout is Ikwerre and Ikwrerre have said for the umpteenth time that they aren't Igbo. They trace their roots to Edo and by extension Yorubaland grin
port Harcourt is not ikwerre and can never be ikwerre, the greater part of port Harcourt is ijaw(okrika)

9 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Foxman19: 3:18pm On Feb 22, 2020
This people has rebuked you several time that you should stop luring them to your ancestor.
Eziokwu1:

Nobody is parent to anybody, the main point is that we all descent from the same ancestral stock of people. Hence why all our dialects share great degrees of mutual intelligibility. The biggest shrine of Amadioha/Kamalu is somewhere in Rivers state.
Oil politics is really doing a lot of damage to the psyche of some of our people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Eziokwu1: 3:20pm On Feb 22, 2020
opuambe:
port Harcourt is not ikwerre and can never be ikwerre, the greater part of port Harcourt is ijaw(okrika)

Joke of the millenium. I doubt up to 10% of the broader PH region is located within Okrika.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by delishpot: 3:24pm On Feb 22, 2020
PH is not Igbo. They are majorly ikwerre

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Captainrambo2: 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2020
Marshalldrezzy:
Wtf
angry
what is ikwere ? You simply do not have an identity no offence

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by mbos: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2020
kayfra:

WHICH ROOT?
YOUR " DIVIDE AND RULE ROOT"

the traditional ruler of portharcout is know as
List of rulers of Rebisi
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo, Eze Apara Rebisi IV
HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo Mati, Eze Apara Rebisi V
HRM Eze Elikwu Woruji, Eze Apara Rebisi VI
HRM Eze Elikwu Dike, Eze Apara Rebisi VII
HRM Eze Elikwu Worluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi VIII
HRM Eze Phillip Elikwu, Eze Apara Rebisi IX
HRM Eze Victor Weli Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi X
HRM Eze Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi XI
HRM Eze Victor Nnanna Woluchem II, Eze Apara Rebisi XII[2]

atisfied with the successful burial of its leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s parents, In Isiama Afaraukwu Umuahia, Abia State, the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday said that attendance by people from the 11 States of old Eastern Region, now divided into the South East and South-South, was an indication that they are united in pursuit of freedom. The old Eastern Region is made up of Abia, Imo, Enugu Ebonyi, Anambra, Edo, Delta Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom States.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/nnamdi-kanus-parents-burial-unites-old-eastern-region-in-umuahia/

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by splendour7(m): 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2020
considering the way thinx are going i give no fvck about language been speak in any of the south south states,ask me about,ENUGU,EBONYI,ANAMBRA,IMO AND ABIA.then i will gladly reply...i have said it times without number than the great ndi igbo dont need to attach with anybody to succeed...south south is not and will never be igbo!

9 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by mbos: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
delishpot:
PH is not Igbo. They are majorly ikwerre

yes but He is the King of Igwe Ocha not PortHarcourt

The king of Alumili, the Ohazurumee VIII, HRM Onyenweal Igwuocha, condemned the Federal Government for treating the people of the old Eastern Region, particularly Ndigbo, as conquered slaves.

Ahuzurumee means the same in Ikwerre-igbo and ala-igbo

“We can’t live together. We have been living for over 500 years and that is the reason the Ezes, the real owners of Biafra, land have stood up and said enough is enough! This thing has to stop and what we need is Biafra!”

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by femolii: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2020
Lagos belong Yoruba's and ph belong ikweres .

6 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by delishpot: 3:33pm On Feb 22, 2020
Marshalldrezzy:
Wtf
angry

But back in the day, before the creation of Rivers, PH was part of Imo. It was Igbo even though the dialect was a bit different.

6 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by femolii: 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2020
Lagos belong to Yoruba's and ph belong to ikweres.

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by delishpot: 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2020
mbos:

yes but He is the King of Igwe Ocha not PortHarcourt

The king of Alumili, the Ohazurumee VIII, HRM Onyenweal Igwuocha, condemned the Federal Government for treating the people of the old Eastern Region, particularly Ndigbo, as conquered slaves.

Ahuzurumee means the same in Ikwerre-igbo and ala-igbo

“We can’t live together. We have been living for over 500 years and that is the reason the Ezes, the real owners of Biafra, land have stood up and said enough is enough! This thing has to stop and what we need is Biafra!”

Yes, they were mixed with igbos until the split. Into Imo and rivers. But I don't know if the people considered themselves as 1. After all, Nigeria was not 1 in the past. So people from all regions might not believe that they are the same with their neighbours. Na amalgamation make them relate as 1 people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by gidgiddy: 4:53pm On Feb 22, 2020
The major language of Portharcourt remains Igbo. The Ikwerre language is a dialect of Igbo.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 5:08pm On Feb 22, 2020
Port Harcourt and Rivers in general aren't Igbo. It's just like saying, Delta State, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River or Bayelsa is Igbo.

Compare Onitsha or Aba to Lagos in that sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Kinematics: 5:12pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Nobody is parent to anybody, the main point is that we all descent from the same ancestral stock of people. Hence why all our dialects share great degrees of mutual intelligibility. [s]The biggest shrine of Amadioha/Kamalu is somewhere in Rivers state.[/s]

Lies coming from the east!

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 5:15pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Exactly my question. Why isn't your Ikwerre language of any importance in the city if you claim to be non-Igbos?

Wtf is he saying! As if speaking Igbo helps anybody...

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Biafrarep(m): 5:19pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:

PH is surrounded by Ikwerre, Etche, Egbema and Ndoki lands on almost every side except in the south where it shares border with groups from another linguistic phylla. Bros Port Harcourt is broadly Igboid. you can't pretend like you don't know.
And as the PH metro continues to grow, it is expanding more and more inland towards the igboid parts to the north since there is no space for expansion in the waterlogged southern part.
I agree with you but not completely since Ogoni areas have joined the city including other riverine areas.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 5:19pm On Feb 22, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Our people?! I wonder what part of we are not brothers don't you understand?! You have oil, the west has oil, the north does have oil so there's nothing like 'oil politics'

You may have similarities in language and culture but that doesn't mean you're the same. No Rivers man (Ijaw or Ikwerre) will ever accept the tag of Igbo. Same with the rest of the SS. Everyone has his identity, deal with and stop forcing cohabitation...

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by helinues: 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2020
shocked
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by TheTourist: 6:28pm On Feb 22, 2020
It's all thanks to the colonialists

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by ANSMEDIA: 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2020
It is. I saw this by DANO the recently I went to PH

19 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Orji Kalu: Perpetrators Of Violence In South East Must Have A Rethink / Bomb Blast In Kano State / Ebonyi Assembly Speaker Impeached, HON Helen Nwaobasi emerges New Speaker(PIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.