Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? (10095 Views)

Sunday Igboho Is A Hero – Reno Omokri Says As Yoruba Nation Rally Holds In Lagos / Heavy Protests In Port-Harcourt As INEC Suspends Rivers Governorship Results / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 9:32am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Nope. I don't see myself as Igbo. I never will. And btw SS Igbos really don't have any fears. Who Igbo acceptance don epp?!
igbos generally don't talk about your tribe or care...so you are starved of their attention and it's making you jump on any Igbo thread you can find...chai...sad life

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by nengibo: 9:37am On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
my question is this....do the real owners of PH understand that language or not?

Is the language in that advert the native language of the Aborigines of Port Harcourt or not?
it is not Ikwerre, Okrika or even Eleme

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 9:44am On Feb 23, 2020
nengibo:

it is not Ikwerre, Okrika or even Eleme
ok can you tell us the ikwere translation...

The English translation is 'uplift your strength everyday'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by nengibo: 9:51am On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
ok can you tell us the ikwere translation...

The English translation is 'uplift your strength everyday'
give me the Okrika translation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 9:59am On Feb 23, 2020
nengibo:

give me the Okrika translation
I am not an okirikan...I don't know what it means in okrika

It was you who however said that it is not ikwere language...so it means you are sure what it translates to in ikwere...so tell us

You half-baked graduates should try to check a moniker out first before you start mumu argument with him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techcrunchng(m): 10:09am On Feb 23, 2020
bigfrancis21:

I experienced this too myself. On one occassion, I clearly heard an Etche woman road seller chiding her son in Igbo (Etche). I walked up to her to buy something and spoke Igbo to her and she snubbed me like she didn't understand. I repeated myself and she spoke English instead. Another time, I needed directions to somewhere as I was lost and I approached two women speaking clear Igbo just like any two ladies in Enugu or Owerri (honestly I thought they were regular SE folks) and I approached them and said, bikonu a na m acho ebe a na-ere xyz (i've forgotten what exactly I was looking to buy in that mini market) and they both turned and gave me this very dirty nasty look like how dare I approach them and speak Igbo without knowing if they were Igbo or not. They just hurriedly pointed at the place in a quick hand gesture, like go go and get out of here. I simply said thanks and walked away. Many Rivers folks will feign ignorance of the Igbo language to regular SE folks but speak the same language within themselves.

I was born in PH myself but left when I was a kid but visited much later severally as an adult. With what you hear or read about PH online, I was much surprised when I visited PH in person. It was just like any other SE Igbo state, no difference. Igbo/Igboid language being spoken everywhere, Igbo songs being played everywhere, Igbo songs being sung at fellowships and churches, Ikwerre burial ads everywhere that were just like what I was familiar with in Owerri etc. I would often hear Ikwerre spoken here and there and understood what was being said. I remember one Ikwerre woman shouting at her child, 'm mgbolo gi aka mbra' or so (I will slap you now) and I understood her immediately even though it was my first time hearing 'mgbolo' and 'mbra'. While eating at a buka one day in PH, I also witnessed one Ikwerre girl, Chichi being called 'this Igbo girl' by a Hausa customer and she was defiantly denying being Igbo but Ikwerre instead etc.

Sometimes, what is portrayed online can paint a totally different picture from reality. Going by what I experienced, PH is majority Igbo/minority others. Igbo and Pidgin are spoken hand in hand in the city.
you said exactly my mind.

When I visited PH newly I was so surprised to an extent that I asked my cousin 'why is everything done with Igbo Language in Port Harcourt' he laughed and asked me "what language do you think they used in port Harcourt" I told him I was a bit confused because of what I usually see online, for me I was thinking PH is one big city where English language/ Pidgin and a bit of Ijaw language was used as means of communication.

I became more surprised when I moved through the streets of PH to discover that almost all the billboards were in Igbo Language, local radio and tv stations uses Igbo, they even played local Igbo highlife, churches programs are mainly with Igbo language.

I was drawn in confusion when I passed by a rural king's palace and found out he was addressed with Igbo title and names.

In all the markets; they speak Igbo.

So I believe Port Harcourt as a community is Igbo while Rivers as a state won't be said to be Igbo because it comprises of different tribes.

I think what's confusing many people including OP is that they refer Port Harcourt city as a state on its own (Rivers) which is wrong, Port Harcourt is just a community inhabited by Igbo speaking people and it's in Rivers state which comprises of many tribes as aforementioned.

It's just a capital city of Rivers State just as Asaba is to Delta and everything in asaba is done with Igbo, Ibadan to Oyo, Damaturu to Yobe, etc.

OP I think what you are trying to compare is Lagos State to Rivers State, why don't you say Ikeja and Port Harcourt?

Meanwhile, the Igbos in the South East should stop forcing the Igbos in the South South to be one because it will never add anything to your individual accounts or to the development of your SE states, after all the prodigal son decided to leave his father's home to be by himself thinking he was big and matured enough but at last he discovered that his childish decision led to his perishment and went back to ask his father for forgiveness.

4 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by spiritmasquerad(m): 10:10am On Feb 23, 2020
Youngmaster0:

How did the white man came and confused the two.... One thing was certain they whiteman never did, was trying to change the indigenous identification.. There are 2 ways you can adopt a language, either you were colonized by those people and force to learn their language or you are part of those people..
It is a complicated story but according to what I know, it first started with confusing the name and then our people had to learn the language of their neighbors and slow we mix it with our own until now
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by cigwe(m): 10:33am On Feb 23, 2020
But they do teach igbo in some school around oboi_akpor LGA

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by 7lives: 10:42am On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
if anybody told the British that there would be a civil war in Nigeria just 6 years after they left they won't believe it....so relax...what will happen in the next 4 years is still unknown not to talk of 20 years. Igbos have made their stance clear...they want to go it alone...they don't need Hausa or yoruba or ijaw...

There was never a time Igbos was chased out of any part of Nigeria except during the civil war...buying land in pH is very strategic but I don't expect you to see

pH is Igbo...we are not claiming warri or Benin or Calabar or Uyo or bayelsa...just leave Asana and pH for us and Biafra and Niger Delta can be good neighbors

I repeat...it will be childish for an urhobo man to think that there will be a future where Igbos will be excluded from pH while urhobo is included....perish that thought...we don't want your tribe...stop attaching your tribe to Igbo areas and hiding under 'south south' why can't your tribe stand alone? If Qataris can...why can't your tribe? Why do you need to attach to ikwere and anioma?

What have you been drinking?, this line of thought is the reason why the first Biafra project failed, or have you not heard?. that the pi of that axis actually are a sell out.
You can't force yourself on people in this modern age but you can persuade them.
If you try to force them. and a war breaks out, last last UN will move in and conduct a referendum, can such election be rigged?, now will people who keeps insisting that they are not Igbo, cast their votes in your favor?.
Why can't Igbos plan their Biafran without dragging unwilling people into it.
The situation is more complex and deadly than all these Nairaland chests beating o.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by nengibo: 10:46am On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
I am not an okirikan...I don't know what it means in okrika

It was you who however said that it is not ikwere language...so it means you are sure what it translates to in ikwere...so tell us

You half-baked graduates should try to check a moniker out first before you start mumu argument with him
I said it wasn't Ikwerre, Okrika or even Eleme don't misquote me
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Youngmaster0(m): 10:58am On Feb 23, 2020
spiritmasquerad:

It is a complicated story but according to what I know, it first started with confusing the name and then our people had to learn the language of their neighbors and slow we mix it with our own until now

They whiteman can never get confused with the name, bcus they never knew the language(Igbo) when the came, even when they left there was no record of any of them learning any indigenous Nigeria language, rather they make us learn there's..

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by ericuzor(m): 11:19am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Says the guy who loves going to Dubai and will probably watch the 2022 World Cup but would say he hates Muslims. I 100% hate Igbos and it has absolutely nothing to do with culture. Every tribe in this country has it's own unique culture and tradition.
your soul needs redemption to come to a public forum and say you 100% hate Igbo this is pure hate speech please who has this man contact should send it to me..
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 11:27am On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
igbos generally don't talk about your tribe or care...so you are starved of their attention and it's making you jump on any Igbo thread you can find...chai...sad life

And I ask again. Who Igbo attention don epp?
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 11:31am On Feb 23, 2020
Techcrunchng:
Meanwhile, the Igbos in the South East should stop forcing the Igbos in the South South to be one because it will never add anything to your individual account or to the development of your SE states.

This summarizes the answer to the entire thread...
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Area4Area: 11:48am On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

LMAO. He told you Ika is Igbo? Ika people even have a hard time accepting being part of Delta North. You simply know nothing about Delta State nor the SS. Too myopic
I've been going through his epistles of lies and I don't even know where and how to start tackling those lies, imagine forcing Igbo on people who say they are not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Techdra: 11:53am On Feb 23, 2020
ericuzor:
your soul needs redemption to come to a public forum and say you 100% hate Igbo this is pure hate speech please who has this man contact should send it to me..

I said it. I am saying it. I will continue to say it in your face. I hate y'all!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by spiritmasquerad(m): 12:46pm On Feb 23, 2020
Youngmaster0:

They whiteman can never get confused with the name, bcus they never knew the language(Igbo) when the came, even when they left there was no record of any of them learning any indigenous Nigeria language, rather they make us learn there's..
Simple mispronounced
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by ericuzor(m): 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

I said it. I am saying it. I will continue to say it in your face. I hate y'all!
you can only say it behind your key board..
@lalastica this man needs to be ban as soon as possible is this what nairaland is all about spreading hate like virus.. Ban Techdra as soon as possible as a warning to others.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Trex4(m): 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2020
angelfallz:
There are many reasons for this. But the reason I would want to point out is that the Igbo language itself, is dying out. Even in cities like Enugu, you'll notice that Igbo speakers (I don't mean those that speak one or two words in Igbo And then use English to complete the sentence) are few. So, if the Igbo language is not prominent in a major Igbo capital like Enugu logically it wouldn't be prominent in other cities close to Igbo land.
Are you Igbo? And which Enugu are you taking about?
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 23, 2020
Even here in Lagos not everyone speak Yoruba.
so wtf about ph people speaking igbo??
it's a choice

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 3:29pm On Feb 23, 2020
7lives:

What have you been drinking?, this line of thought is the reason why the first Biafra project failed, or have you not heard?. that the pi of that axis actually are a sell out.
You can't force yourself on people in this modern age but you can persuade them.
If you try to force them. and a war breaks out, last last UN will move in and conduct a referendum, can such election be rigged?, now will people who keeps insisting that they are not Igbo, cast their votes in your favor?.
Why can't Igbos plan their Biafran without dragging unwilling people into it.
The situation is more complex and deadly than all these Nairaland chests beating o.
when the time comes and UN conduct referendum and we lose pH, we will respect that

But to think that Igbos will not put up any struggle for pH when Nigeria fails is laughable, childish and simplistic
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 23, 2020
Eziokwu1:
I have always wondered this question.
Both cities are melting pots. But somehow Lagos has managed to entrench a foundational Yoruba character both linguistically and socially.
In the case of Port Harcourt that can't really be said for the city. I know there is an Ijaw (Okrika) part of the city, but it is quite small, and the greater part of Port Harcourt is basically Ikwerre. The lingua franca for 90% of PH is idgin.
Infact, very soon Oyigbo/Obigbo and Port Harcourt will merge into one. Is this how an Ikwerre-Igbo city is going to ditch it's heritage and become 'identityless'?

A non Lagosian can pick up standard Yoruba on Lagos Island, Ikotun, Agege or Ikorodu in 1 year if they are interested in doing so, but a Nigerian will rarely pick up neither Ikwere nor Igbo after living decades in Port Harcourt? Why?

You speak Igbo in igboland.

Port Harcourt is not Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 23, 2020
splendour7:
considering the way thinx are going i give no fvck about language been speak in any of the south south states,ask me about,ENUGU,EBONYI,ANAMBRA,IMO AND ABIA.then i will gladly reply...i have said it times without number than the great ndi igbo dont need to attach with anybody to succeed...south south is not and will never be igbo!

Well said.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 3:33pm On Feb 23, 2020
nengibo:

I said it wasn't Ikwerre, Okrika or even Eleme don't misquote me
you are making the same mistake again...if you are sure it isn't ikwere then you must tell us what it is in ikwere

Let me tell you...an Ikwere man will say what is written on that sign post if he wants to say 'uplift your strength daily'

Please get off my mention unless you are quoting me with the ikwere translation

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by enemybulldozer(m): 3:36pm On Feb 23, 2020
Area4Area:
I've been going through his epistles of lies and I don't even know where and how to start tackling those lies, imagine forcing Igbo on people who say they are not.
Lol... Kettle calling pot black grin grin grin it is your epistles that is full of lies and propaganda. Imagine an efulefu like you denying Igbos their heritage just because of "one zoogerian" so that oil can keep flowing to the north.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by bigfrancis21: 5:20pm On Feb 23, 2020
cigwe:
But they do teach igbo in some school around oboi_akpor LGA

Expand more on this. What about other Ikwerre LGAs in general?
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by myobjective: 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2020
Techdra:

Hehehe. This post just summarizes your agitation. Very very confused set of people. Anyways, when you all are ready to speak with one voice, I'll listen not wasting my time. Maybe your elder brothers on this forum can educate you better.

Ikeweres are Igbos to me. I served in Ph and I can hardly differentiate between the Igbos and Ikwere it is just odd that they harbour too much hatred and suspicion to their Igbo brothers.

I used to have one carpenter called 'Ikechukwu' I was surprised when he started talking negatively about Igbos when I taught all along that he was Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by myobjective: 6:05pm On Feb 23, 2020
rummmy:
Fulani ,ask Emir of Ilorin?

Even, the Emir of Ilorin can't speak Fulfude lol

Yoruba is even more widely spoken in Illorin than Lagos.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by angelfallz(m): 6:36pm On Feb 23, 2020
Trex4:
Are you Igbo? And which Enugu are you taking about?
The one and only 042. i live in Enugu
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by 0m0nnakoda: 7:56pm On Feb 23, 2020
selemempe:
if anybody told the British that there would be a civil war in Nigeria just 6 years after they left they won't believe it....so relax...what will happen in the next 4 years is still unknown not to talk of 20 years. Igbos have made their stance clear...they want to go it alone...they don't need Hausa or yoruba or ijaw...

There was never a time Igbos was chased out of any part of Nigeria except during the civil war...buying land in pH is very strategic but I don't expect you to see

pH is Igbo...we are not claiming warri or Benin or Calabar or Uyo or bayelsa...just leave Asana and pH for us and Biafra and Niger Delta can be good neighbors

I repeat...it will be childish for an urhobo man to think that there will be a future where Igbos will be excluded from pH while urhobo is included....perish that thought...we don't want your tribe...stop attaching your tribe to Igbo areas and hiding under 'south south' why can't your tribe stand alone? If Qataris can...why can't your tribe? Why do you need to attach to ikwere and anioma?
You people do not learn
PH was the place where Igbos lost their property to Abandoned property rules yet you insist on attaching by force
The Ikwerre rejected you a long time ago

This domineering attitude was what you used to suppress Eastern Region minorities

In I965 the Igbo led NCNC imposed a candidate from Ngwa on PH ,Elugwaraonu and the natives revolted
Ikwunga Wonodi contested as an independent candidate and the impostor from Aba was disgraced.
Still you continue this folly

If PH is indeed Igbo why did they oppose Biafra and why did Igbos flee during the war? Why did Ikwerre seized their Abandoned property?

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by WorWorBoy: 8:10pm On Feb 23, 2020
Eziokwu1:
[s]I have always wondered this question.
Both cities are melting pots. But somehow Lagos has managed to entrench a foundational Yoruba character both linguistically and socially.
In the case of Port Harcourt that can't really be said for the city. I know there is an Ijaw (Okrika) part of the city, but it is quite small, and the greater part of Port Harcourt is basically Ikwerre. The lingua franca for 90% of PH is idgin.
Infact, very soon Oyigbo/Obigbo and Port Harcourt will merge into one. Is this how an Ikwerre-Igbo city is going to ditch it's heritage and become 'identityless'?

A non Lagosian can pick up standard Yoruba on Lagos Island, Ikotun, Agege or Ikorodu in 1 year if they are interested in doing so, but a Nigerian will rarely pick up neither Ikwere nor Igbo after living decades in Port Harcourt? Why[/s]?
Port Harcourt is not a Igbo city that's why.

5 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by WorWorBoy: 8:24pm On Feb 23, 2020
gidgiddy:
The major language of Portharcourt remains Igbo. The Ikwerre language is a dialect of Igbo.
You are not from rivers state but you are spilling so much nonsense here.

And who told you that the Ikwerres identified themselves as igbos?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG To Begin Trial Of 5,000 Boko Haram Suspects / Street Begging Is Un-Islamic And A Taboo - Hadi Sirika / Nigeria Lost $7.92bn To Corruption In 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.