Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? (10101 Views)

Sunday Igboho Is A Hero – Reno Omokri Says As Yoruba Nation Rally Holds In Lagos / Heavy Protests In Port-Harcourt As INEC Suspends Rivers Governorship Results / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by naijanaso: 8:38pm On Feb 23, 2020
mbos:

WHICH ROOT?
YOUR " DIVIDE AND RULE ROOT"

the traditional ruler of portharcout is know as
List of rulers of Rebisi
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo, Eze Apara Rebisi IV
HRM Eze Elikwu Ekaninwo Mati, Eze Apara Rebisi V
HRM Eze Elikwu Woruji, Eze Apara Rebisi VI
HRM Eze Elikwu Dike, Eze Apara Rebisi VII
HRM Eze Elikwu Worluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi VIII
HRM Eze Phillip Elikwu, Eze Apara Rebisi IX
HRM Eze Victor Weli Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi X
HRM Eze Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, Eze Apara Rebisi XI
HRM Eze Victor Nnanna Woluchem II, Eze Apara Rebisi XII[2]

atisfied with the successful burial of its leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s parents, In Isiama Afaraukwu Umuahia, Abia State, the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday said that attendance by people from the 11 States of old Eastern Region, now divided into the South East and South-South, was an indication that they are united in pursuit of freedom. The old Eastern Region is made up of Abia, Imo, Enugu Ebonyi, Anambra, Edo, Delta Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom States.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/02/nnamdi-kanus-parents-burial-unites-old-eastern-region-in-umuahia/

So Akwa Ibom is also Igbo right? Cross River, Bayelsa and Delta are all Igbo...go and have a rethink pls
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by SciLab: 9:03pm On Feb 23, 2020
7lives:

What have you been drinking?, this line of thought is the reason why the first Biafra project failed, or have you not heard?. that the pi of that axis actually are a sell out.
You can't force yourself on people in this modern age but you can persuade them.
If you try to force them. and a war breaks out, last last UN will move in and conduct a referendum, can such election be rigged?, now will people who keeps insisting that they are not Igbo, cast their votes in your favor?.
Why can't Igbos plan their Biafran without dragging unwilling people into it.
The situation is more complex and deadly than all these Nairaland chests beating o.

Ewedu man and their difficulty in keeping their propaganda straight.

On monday- He will say 'Igbo lost Biafra because Ikwerre hate Ibos'.

On Tuesday- He will say 'Igbo lost war because we yorubas fought in the war'

On Wednesday- The ewedu buffoon go say 'Biafra lost because Biafra entered Ore'

Ask him same on a Thursday, he will say it is 'Igbo killed other leaders, Ademoyega was an Ibo man pretending to be yoruba'.

On Friday when faced with the same question, he will say 'It was because of Britain, Russia, and Arab countries who helped gowon forces because Biafra is illegal'.

Ndi Ewedu, stand on one place and stop confusing the thunder.

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by PFRB: 9:17pm On Feb 23, 2020
Eziokwu1:

Nobody is parent to anybody, the main point is that we all descent from the same ancestral stock of people. Hence why all our dialects share great degrees of mutual intelligibility. The biggest shrine of Amadioha/Kamalu is somewhere in Rivers state.
Oil politics is really doing a lot of damage to the psyche of some of our people.
Amadioha is at Etchee. Ojukwu is at Diobu.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by PFRB: 9:23pm On Feb 23, 2020
femolii:
Lagos belong to Yoruba's and ph belong to ikweres.
Very right you.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by AsomughaChuks05: 9:35pm On Feb 23, 2020
Igbos have been dragging Port Harcourt for ages. Ikwere make una no gree o. grin. It is your oil and access to ocean Igbos are after so that we can have bragging rights when quarrelling with yorubas. Igbos despise Ikwere same way they loathe us. Don't let some Ipob operatives on NL to confuse you. One thing you can never take away from Igbos is greed, though we are hardworking.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by rosebowl01(m): 11:20pm On Feb 23, 2020
rummmy:
Is ILORIN a Yoruba or a Fulani city,.....?.... I have spent 2 weeks here but could not see anyone speaking Yoruba, I'm still confused.

Actually the singular lingua franca in Ilorin is Yoruba. Nice diversion tactics!

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by gidgiddy: 11:24pm On Feb 23, 2020
WorWorBoy:
You are not from rivers state but you are spilling so much nonsense here.

And who told you that the Ikwerres identified themselves as igbos?

The issue is not what Ikwerre identify as, the issue is about what language dominates Portharcourt

You may not believe this but over 65% of Rivers state indigenes are Igbo speaking people.

The rest 35% are Ijaw and Ogoni

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by tsdarkside(m): 12:45am On Feb 24, 2020
XANDERBOY85:

And they usually use Igbo monikers to make it appear all 'innocent'! wink

nonesense....nobody is interested in impersonatin igbos....

for what....??

their are igbos that critisize other igbos too....
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:06am On Feb 24, 2020
splendour7:
considering the way thinx are going i give no fvck about language been speak in any of the south south states,ask me about,ENUGU,EBONYI,ANAMBRA,IMO AND ABIA.then i will gladly reply...i have said it times without number than the great ndi igbo dont need to attach with anybody to succeed...south south is not and will never be igbo!
The attachee by force SS se would soon call you yoruba
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by selemempe: 4:13am On Feb 24, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You people do not learn
PH was the place where Igbos lost their property to Abandoned property rules yet you insist on attaching by force
The Ikwerre rejected you a long time ago

This domineering attitude was what you used to suppress Eastern Region minorities

In I965 the Igbo led NCNC imposed a candidate from Ngwa on PH ,Elugwaraonu and the natives revolted
Ikwunga Wonodi contested as an independent candidate and the impostor from Aba was disgraced.
Still you continue this folly

If PH is indeed Igbo why did they oppose Biafra and why did Igbos flee during the war? Why did Ikwerre seized their Abandoned property?
Are you Igbo or Ikwerre? So what is your headache here?
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by WorWorBoy: 5:13am On Feb 24, 2020
gidgiddy:

[s]The issue is not what Ikwerre identify as, the issue is about what language dominates Portharcourt

You may not believe this but over 65% of Rivers state indigenes are Igbo speaking people.

The rest 35% are Ijaw and Ogoni[/s]
I am from rivers state so stop typing nonsense, the official language here in port Harcourt is pidgin English. Stop typing things you don't know.

6 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Area4Area: 6:22am On Feb 24, 2020
WorWorBoy:
I am from rivers state so stop typing nonsense, the official language here in port Harcourt is pidgin English. Stop typing things you don't know.
You should understand that some people still want to have access to the sea and oil so they must continue their attaché by force by fire. SE/SS everyday as if the people they are attaching to recognizes their presence.

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by AworiLagosian: 6:43am On Feb 24, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You people do not learn
PH was the place where Igbos lost their property to Abandoned property rules yet you insist on attaching by force
The Ikwerre rejected you a long time ago

This domineering attitude was what you used to suppress Eastern Region minorities

In I965 the Igbo led NCNC imposed a candidate from Ngwa on PH ,Elugwaraonu and the natives revolted
Ikwunga Wonodi contested as an independent candidate and the impostor from Aba was disgraced.
Still you continue this folly

If PH is indeed Igbo why did they oppose Biafra and why did Igbos flee during the war? Why did Ikwerre seized their Abandoned property?

Hmmmn.... thought provoking questions... cry
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by SciLab: 8:08am On Feb 24, 2020
Area4Area:
You should understand that some people still want to have access to the sea and oil so they must continue their attaché by force by fire. SE/SS everyday as if the people they are attaching to recognizes their presence.

Ewedu muslim man, the 'savior' of the South-South wey never fit save him land for Illorin from Fulani.

Go and keep praying to Allahu for kelechi in Rivers to hate Amadi in Imo. Bang your head very well on the ground maybe Allah will hear your cries. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Area4Area: 8:16am On Feb 24, 2020
SciLab:

Ewedu muslim man, the 'savior' of the South-South wey never fit save him land for Illorin from Fulani.

Go and keep praying to Allahu for kelechi in Rivers to hate Amadi in Imo. Bang your head very well on the ground maybe Allah will hear your cries. grin
Sorry o, I didn't know you'd be too pained

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by SciLab: 8:17am On Feb 24, 2020
Area4Area:
Sorry o, I didn't know you'd be too pained

No be you painment wan kill because Emeka from Imo dey unite with Chidi him brother? grin

Ewedu muslim mugu, una go cry tire. grin
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by MetaPhysical: 8:37am On Feb 24, 2020
On its own, Ibo has zero significant value.
To give it any significance, we first pick a value in Yoruba and we assign a point value. We measure Ibo against that point value to see where it stands. This is how Ibo gets its significance, by measuring against a point value taken off Yoruba progressive index.

A mathematical expression can be written in an algebraic function and will point to the fact that Ibo is a dependency of Yoruba. In other words, without Yoruba, Ibo is nothing....but Yoruba is self sufficient even when Ibo does not exist, This is the supremacy doctrine.

Over decades and centuries, many foreign anthropologists, scholars and researchers have written records showing Yoruba as a 1st Tier race in Africa. A recent revelation also supported this and claimed a ghost ancestor, parallel to Neanderthal, is attributable to Yoruba beginnings. What this means is that Yoruba is a prototype of humankind. This is truly profound!

The lessons learnt is that Yoruba was a superior race, continues to be a Superior race....and will forever, in Oduduwa's name, be a Superior race!

Ibo must bow at the knees and pay homage to its Superior, Yoruba! grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by orunto27: 8:47am On Feb 24, 2020
Igbos want to eat their cakes and still have them.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by orunto27: 8:54am On Feb 24, 2020
Have you had a Rethink as to why an Igboman would wear a Crown to The Deji's Palace?
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by orunto27: 8:59am On Feb 24, 2020
Presumptive Abomination.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Chinablack: 9:15am On Feb 24, 2020
spiritmasquerad:

I do not agree for example am from Delta state, Idumuje Unor to be precise but I don't identify as igbo because according to our history we immigrant from Benin and it was actually Idumunje Unor before the white man came and kept confusing the two but what am saying is that they are differences between a PH Ikwerres person and the average Igbo man and that why they speak subigbo language if anyone pays attention you will notice that Efik sound a lot like Igbo but that doesn't make them Igbo
your tribe immigrated from benin but dumped benin culture and languages despite living next door to them. why did you choose Igbo cultures and languages,,?, did the same history teach you Igbos bought you as slaves?, if it's true, which part of Igbo was that that used your distinct dialect?. or did you borrow the said dialect from benin too?. point of correction, effik language and that Igbo don't relate in anyway
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Chinablack: 9:35am On Feb 24, 2020
Igbo man embraced western culture and education more than any tribe in Nigeria, that is the cause. even in the homogeneous Igbos states. how many Igbo children can communicate effectively in Igbo language ?. unlike in the northern nigeria where more than 300 hundreds tribes have no option than to learn how to speak hausa by force or Western nigeria where the identities of the minorities have totally been erased. even buhari a fulani in the north doesn't understand fulani language
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by spiritmasquerad(m): 1:26pm On Feb 24, 2020
Chinablack:
your tribe immigrated from benin but dumped benin culture and languages despite living next door to them. why did you choose Igbo cultures and languages,,?, did the same history teach you Igbos bought you as slaves?, if it's true, which part of Igbo was that that used your distinct dialect?. or did you borrow the said dialect from benin too?. point of correction, effik language and that Igbo don't relate in anyway
Here is a link https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Idumuje-Unor?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9918351023
Read for yourself and also research on the Efik and Igbo similarity don't come online and show stupidity
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by IgbofromDelta: 3:04pm On Feb 24, 2020
Shut up !!! Keep the Igbo part of Delta State out of your confusion. Aniomas are proud Igbos. Infact, our prominent traditional rulers like the HRM Asagba of Asaba, HRM Obi of Ogwashiukwu, etc are major stakeholders in Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo.

The Delta state governor Ifeanyi Okowa is a proud Igbo man from Owa. Owa kingdom was established by Odogwu whose origin is from Nri in Anambra State. The governor is always dressed in Igbo attire because he is not part of the minority tribes in Niger Delta.

Techdra:

Nope. I don't see myself as Igbo. I never will. And btw SS Igbos really don't have any fears. Who Igbo acceptance don epp?!

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Foxman19: 4:07pm On Feb 24, 2020
I understand the question.
toolovely:

Try and understand his questions first before rushing to start calling Igbo this Igbo that...
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by enemybulldozer(m): 7:40pm On Feb 24, 2020
Area4Area:
Every reasonable person here on nairaland knows that you are among those that dwell on falsehood.

The truth is that it is the zoo that is attaching SE/SS by force(with the unity of Nigeria is non negotiable mantra) so that oil can be flowing to the almajiris up north and Afonjas in waste lands.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Sammy07: 5:27am On Feb 25, 2020
MetaPhysical:
On its own, Ibo has zero significant value.
To give it any significance, we first pick a value in Yoruba and we assign a point value. We measure Ibo against that point value to see where it stands. This is how Ibo gets its significance, by measuring against a point value taken off Yoruba progressive index.

A mathematical expression can be written in an algebraic function and will point to the fact that Ibo is a dependency of Yoruba. In other words, without Yoruba, Ibo is nothing....but Yoruba is self sufficient even when Ibo does not exist, This is the supremacy doctrine.

Over decades and centuries, many foreign anthropologists, scholars and researchers have written records showing Yoruba as a 1st Tier race in Africa. A recent revelation also supported this and claimed a ghost ancestor, parallel to Neanderthal, is attributable to Yoruba beginnings. What this means is that Yoruba is a prototype of humankind. This is truly profound!

The lessons learnt is that Yoruba was a superior race, continues to be a Superior race....and will forever, in Oduduwa's name, be a Superior race!

Ibo must bow at the knees and pay homage to its Superior, Yoruba! grin grin grin

grin, you won't kill me with laughter oo
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Sammy07: 5:30am On Feb 25, 2020
rummmy:
Is ILORIN a Yoruba or a Fulani city,.....?.... I have spent 2 weeks here but could not see anyone speaking Yoruba, I'm still confused.

The bus loading you from abia has dropped you to sokoto, thinking you're in ilorin; D.

Remind me the meaning if ilorin in Fulani language grin

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Marshalldrezzy(m): 8:10am On Feb 28, 2020
eagleu:

What a big illiterate!
Go learn what these mean, ok
1. Igweocha
2. Obigbo
3. Umumasi

Then come back with a clear head when you have enough information.
I want you to come here and claim we are Igbo's
Please do u things
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Kpoikpoi: 8:31am On Feb 28, 2020
Eziokwu1:
I have always wondered this question.
Both cities are melting pots. But somehow Lagos has managed to entrench a foundational Yoruba character both linguistically and socially.
In the case of Port Harcourt that can't really be said for the city. I know there is an Ijaw (Okrika) part of the city, but it is quite small, and the greater part of Port Harcourt is basically Ikwerre. The lingua franca for 90% of PH is idgin.
Infact, very soon Oyigbo/Obigbo and Port Harcourt will merge into one. Is this how an Ikwerre-Igbo city is going to ditch it's heritage and become 'identityless'?

A non Lagosian can pick up standard Yoruba on Lagos Island, Ikotun, Agege or Ikorodu in 1 year if they are interested in doing so, but a Nigerian will rarely pick up neither Ikwere nor Igbo after living decades in Port Harcourt? Why?

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Kpoikpoi: 8:32am On Feb 28, 2020
You are absolutely mad,is Port Harcourt an Igbo city?
Go and develop Aba,stop day dreaming.
Re: Why Isn't Igbo Language As Prominent In Port Harcourt As Yoruba Is In Lagos? by Arda1000(m): 9:25am On Feb 28, 2020
Kpoikpoi:
You are absolutely mad,is Port Harcourt an Igbo city?
Go and develop Aba,stop day dreaming.
have you ever been to PH,if not stf up,some Igbo tribes might deny being Igbo but nobody decide for them not even Ewedu brain like you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra Gas Reserve: DPR Certifies Re-Entry / Sen Philip Aduda Refuting The Rumour That He Is Decamping From PDP To APC / Gbajabiamila Floors Past Parliamentary Heads To Emerge Legislative Personality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.