Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million (63273 Views)

Why Courts Imposed Millions Against Babalola, Olanipekun, Ozekhome, Keyamo / Bayelsa: Afe Babalola, Olanipekun Protest Supreme Court’s ₦60 Million Penalty / Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by miqos02(m): 8:00pm On Feb 26, 2020
Staro:

[b]See now, all the profits Afe Babalola has made from his
University will be used to pay fine.

David Lyon may be too broke to assist them with such huge amount

.[/b]
same afe babalola that owns a university?
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Nodogragra4me(m): 8:01pm On Feb 26, 2020
kerzhim:
It's just so unfortunate for David Lyon. The incompetence of the so called competent lawyers Chief Afe Babalola (SAN), and Olanipekun (SAN) cost him a good 4 years mandate. They claim to be the best of the best but failed to understand that when you are dealing with court case concerning a change of name, you don't come with a mere "AFFIDAVIT" as if you are dealing with banks. You need a court stamped "DEED POLL" because that's the only document the court will recognise.

Please this one is new ...what is dead poll and how is it different from affidavit?
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2020
Double wahala for dead body
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by sapientia(m): 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2020
igbojay:

You guys like to misquote judgment of the court and thus mislead the public.
The court in Faleke v. Inec & ors posited that since it was a joint ticket, the appellant could not benefit from the valid vote cast.

Thus, the party (APC) being a juristic person was the last man standing and had the right to benefit from the vote cast.

The apex court while aligning itself with the decisions of the court below, posited that the party not been a human being capable of governing a state, had the discretionary powers to elect and present a substitute who could benefit from the votes aforesaid.

In the case of Bayelsa state, APC knowingly aided and abetted fraud. It knew or reasonably ought to know that the persons it was presenting for an election were not so qualified abi initio.

The law is clear that a litigant cannot benefit from the proceed of his fraudulent acts or actions.

Thus, it cannot present a substitute candidate and is therefore deemed not to have participated in the said elections. The law is apt that you cannot place something on nothing and expect it to stand.

The party placed something on nothing and it fell.

The next in line is PDP and thus was invited to take benefit of the APC's fraudulent act.

It's a sound judgement if you do you legal research.

Therefore, quit making a mockery of sound legal reasoning.

I rise.

Rise

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2020
I hope they will do the same thing on IMO,Mano, osun etc. PDP will soon crash and be buried before 2023. Ndiara party.
fairfora:

https://punchng.com/bayelsa-judgment-supreme-court-fines-afe-babalola-olanipekun-n60m/
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by fergie001: 8:06pm On Feb 26, 2020
asobo:
My brother, I hope you don't have anything against Robert Clark.

He was speaking the other day that corruption is in the blood of Nigerians and that death sentence cannot change anything.

The SC headed by the CJN himself gave a judgement May last year, this same man came for the review two months later.

The review was dismissed. 9 months later, he is coming for another review again.....what punishment do you think should be meted out to him?

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Staro: 8:07pm On Feb 26, 2020
anonymous1759:

Both pdp and Apc supporters are partisan. Same fate will befall ihedioha hope democracy won't be in Danger then because TANKO will be heading the panel.

I don't support Apc but I like how they accept defeat sometimes but pdp always cry Wolf only four years of opposition. Whatever Apc is doing today pdp have done it X2. From your comment you sound very Biased.

Oga, say all you can, the IMO ruling was day light robbery.

Uzodinma was never ever a threat in that election.
In fact, the contest was between PDP and AA (Okorocha's son-in-law).
Even the APGA candidate was far stronger than APC.

How on earth could Uzodinma be a threat without Okorocha's support?
Then, APC was Okorocha and Okorocha was APC.
But Okorocha, the key of IMO APC hated Uzodinma like a plague.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:09pm On Feb 26, 2020
yarimo:
and UCHE SECOUNDUS won't call for protest against this judgement. undecided

Your brain needs format

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by SOFTENGR: 8:09pm On Feb 26, 2020
Finnese001:
grin

MANNA COME AND SEE YOUR HEAVYWEIGHTS
He will avoid this thread like Covid-9
Even the most intelligent lawyers would be messed up once they romance with APC.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by SOFTENGR: 8:10pm On Feb 26, 2020
yarimo:
and UCHE SECOUNDUS won't call for protest against this judgement. undecided
Can you now see how dumb APCheats are?
Ordinary case, una go mess up. Mtchew

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by CyberWolf: 8:11pm On Feb 26, 2020
BabaO2:
it is an act of intimidation and unnecessary arrogancy on the part of supreme court, their judgement is too childish and devoid of logic. How they could separate deputy governor from governor on their judgement on Kogi of Audu/Faleke ticket but they could not separate deputy governor from governor on Bayelsa's Lyon/Bionarakuma ticket is still a wonder of Mary odili's influenced judgement
If you don’t understand how the law works, you ask questions.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Nodogragra4me(m): 8:11pm On Feb 26, 2020
igbojay:

The court in Faleke v. Inec & ors posited that since it was a joint ticket, the appellant could not benefit from the valid vote cast.

Thus, the party (APC) being a juristic person was the last man standing and had the right to benefit from the vote cast.

The apex court while aligning itself with the decisions of the court below, posited that the party not been a human being capable of governing a state, had the discretionary powers to elect and present a substitute who could benefit from the votes aforesaid.

In the case of Bayelsa state, APC knowingly aided and abetted fraud. It knew or reasonably ought to know that the persons it was presenting for an election were not so qualified abi initio.

The law is clear that a litigant cannot benefit from the proceed of his fraudulent acts or actions.

Thus, it cannot present a substitute candidate and is therefore deemed not to have participated in the said elections. The law is apt that you cannot place something on nothing and expect it to stand.

The next in line is PDP and thus was invited to take benefit of the APC's fraudulent act.

I rise.

Intelligent rejoinder.

Are you a law graduate of UNEC?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Nuzo1(m): 8:11pm On Feb 26, 2020
Lostz:
any APC lawyer in charge of zamfara review should quickly withdraw before same fate befall him

So because of N10m, you will advise billionaire lawyers to withdraw a case?

First, the burden of the fine is usually bored by their clients.

Secondly, once a case is filed; it doesn't matter whether you withdraw it midway, the lawyers will still be fined for wasting the time of the court registrar.
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by BabaO2: 8:12pm On Feb 26, 2020
igbojay:

I rise.
But Faleke personally took APC/INEC up to the supreme court, and it was upheld by the supreme court that Faleke and Audu were two different individuals, therefore Faleke can't take benefit of Audu's demise to become governor
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
Olanipekun and Afe Babalola are afonjas lawyers....Yorubas always sell their conscience for peanuts

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Kuficking: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
Wow
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by fergie001: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nodogragra4me:

Please this one is new ...what is dead poll and how is it different from affidavit?
Deed Poll is more acceptable, formal and mainly professional.

The SC of most countries and many professional organisations will prefer a more formal document.....DEED POLL.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by gaskiyamagana: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
Lostz:
any APC lawyer in charge of zamfara review should quickly withdraw before same fate befall him
Bro, you will be surprised when another Supreme Court judge say something different.
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
BabaO2:

But Faleke personally took APC/INEC up to the supreme court, and it was upheld by the supreme court that Faleke and Audu were two different individuals, therefore Faleke can't take benefit of Audu's demise to become governor

They are different cases
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by crafteck(m): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2020
fairfora:
Lool. Let them enjoy the fine now. After all, afe babalola is the richest lawyer in aftica. He can afford the whole sum. Abi is it your fine? Is it your review? grin. Hope other lawyers would learn from this .

By the way, bayelsa state is a state where the impossible can become possible and the antecedents have shown. In the late 90s, the then first military administrator posted to serve in the state by Abacha took ill and became incapacitated. My uncle, who had been thinking of resigning voluntarily was suddenly picked to replace him...he's Nav. Capt. Olubolade. In same vein, alameiyeseiha was sacked and jonathan became governor. Same Goodluck Jonathan, who never thought of being vice president, let alone president was picked by the pdp to run with late yaradua and timipre silva too became governor due to this. Now, history is repeating itself in same miraculous way.

The moral of the story is this...no matter what in life, what would be, would be. I just pity those struggling because of positions, most of them hardly get it. If you're destined for a position even if you're in the den of lion, you'd be found. President buhari had once lost hope. He even wept when he lost to Jonathan...not even the pdp could ever think Buhari would be present of Nigeria today.

Your uncle? Ive not seen him for looooooong
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Nodogragra4me(m): 8:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
6digitscomrade:
even if I spend all my life savings and still borrow from bill gates to purchase knowledge for u, u will still be impaired and dull.. ur references and comparisons elucidated ur ignorance and cognitive dissonance.

Take am easy. This pugnacious P4 for just this one man.. Haba
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by CyberWolf: 8:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
manitoba:
I know this was coming. Those lawyers are heartless .

They know SC cannot reverse her own judgement except there is a constitutional amendment but they went ahead to file for review.
What told you Supreme Court can’t reverse her own judgment, it has happened before so, this is not the first time. If yuh read the judgement very well, you will see that the judge said that the lawyers failed to point out errors in the previous judgment. If you’re applying for review, you have to point out errors in previous judgment.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by 99Blues(m): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
the only good news I have heard seen the beginning of the year, well done the final bus stop of a common man.
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by lagdmark(m): 8:17pm On Feb 26, 2020
Freeman1986:
This serves Afe Bablola and Wole Right, i couldn't believe that Afe could stoop so low to file a questionable case based on fraud and forgery for review,what happened to reputation an conscience? Today I take back my respect for these two,they are not a good example to follow.
Just yesterday some APC chest beaters gallivanting all over Nairaland, shouting, Afe and Wole never lost any case that they're the best they will robe the verdict of the Supreme Court in favour of lyon.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by kerzhim(m): 8:17pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nodogragra4me:

The effective difference between Deed Poll and Affidavit is how the documents are authorised. In that case, a court as high as the Supreme Court will only recognises deed poll.
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by isunday: 8:25pm On Feb 26, 2020
Reviewing Supreme court judgement is absurd....

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Bekool(m): 8:28pm On Feb 26, 2020
fairfora:

https://punchng.com/bayelsa-judgment-supreme-court-fines-afe-babalola-olanipekun-n60m/

Nice one from justice augie those supposed learned lawyers have become senior advocate of naira.
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 26, 2020
crafteck:

Your uncle? Ive not seen him for looooooong
Yes, he's not in politics anymore but doing well. He's focused on farming.He was called to serve by Jonathan as minister of police affairs, in appreciation of his efforts as milad in bayelsa, after which he quit politics
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Khaleell001(m): 8:31pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:
So is now a crime to ask for a review? sad
Modified I saw your quotes, I hope the supreme court would do the same for IMO state.

Why not help them to review it.
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by DNSPro: 8:33pm On Feb 26, 2020
BabaO2:
it is an act of intimidation and unnecessary arrogancy on the part of supreme court, their judgement is too childish and devoid of logic. How they could separate deputy governor from governor on their judgement on Kogi of Audu/Faleke ticket but they could not separate deputy governor from governor on Bayelsa's Lyon/Bionarakuma ticket is still a wonder of Mary odili's influenced judgement
tell that to the supreme Court judgement of Imo. She is from Mbaise and apc cheated her brother. Its called tit for tat

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by mkoabiola: 8:38pm On Feb 26, 2020
These supreme court justices are d strongest cabals and ogboni .

They don't betray
Re: Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million by Theoarhics: 8:51pm On Feb 26, 2020
That's huge amount . A good 9ne though. Olanipekun would have to cough out the money for the money Buhari paid him yo defend him. I also in a sane and lawful society he has to be fined for defending a "president with certificate" too. As for Afe, a few students school fees would cover for that 30 million he is asked to pay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yusuf Buhari's Wedding: Femi Fani-Kayode Responds To Criticisms (Pictures) / FFK Mocks Datti Baba-Ahmed For Kneeling To Greet President Tinubu / Soldier Dressed Like A Masquarade To Fight Terrorists(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.