Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom (32259 Views)

Police Take Over Cross River Assembly / Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme’s Confirmation As CJ, Again, Post Vacant / Ekiti Assembly Rejects Governorship Election Result, Adjourns Till October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 4:04pm On Mar 04, 2020
densiks:

I’m compelled to make this brief intervention in this discourse.

First and foremost most of the comments on this issue are ill informed and infantile and is a consequence of poor education or total lack of education especially as it has to do with history.

The Efik, Ibibio,Anang,Oron,Eket and obolo people are from the same ancestral roots and share almost the same culture except for some insignificant variations and we have a long history of migration that led to the current spread.

The issue of state creation in 1987 was to decentralize government and accelerate development rather than promote division.

Till date,as far as I know the Obong of Calabar cannot be enthroned without the presence of a ranking chief from Uruan in present day Akwa Ibom to undertake a sacred traditional rite.
We even speak the same language except for dialectical differences.

There is absolutely no need for unnecessary bickering and name calling.
The present crop of politicians and young people are mostly uneducated or are mischievous hence the unhealthy suspicion,rivalry and fear of the unknown.

I think it’s better to break or tear down those artificial and divisive walls and pursue shared prosperity and progress to take advantage of the things that unite us rather than focus on the fickle things that could divide and make us weaker.

To the efik man,the ibibio man is not your enemy or oppressor,and vice versa.
Let us rise above the ethnic barriers and promote our similarities and unity in diversity and let also spend more time studying the right records of history.

Yak ibono ke Ima!
What has Obolo in Ijaw got to do with Annangs and Ibibios So Uruan that hosted Efiks for some centuries now= the whole of Ibibioland undecided
Eket is a subgroup of Ibibio in culture and everything, they even speak Ibibio-proper as a 2nd langauge. Similar to Oron and Efik.
Let Me give you a summary explanation in a brief detail;
Here are the Major differences in Cultures between Efik, Annang & Ibibio

Re: Mixed Tribes by ibibiogrl: 1 year & 8 months

Aloy.Emeka:
No difference. Efiks and ibibios are the same. Both understand each others dialect, same language, similar culture and very tiny differences. Even the neighboring igbo don't know the difference. Efiks and ibibios are the least violent specie of Nigerians.

There are many differences between Efik and Ibibio, difference in dressing Efik wear a gown and Elaborate hair dress etc. Ibibio tie 2 wrappers with a blouse, like most south easterners but without coral beads. Also difference in marriage traditions, Efiks coach the bride to be in fattening rooms and there are ceremonies before the actual marriage, ibibios don't. Efik traditions is Rule by Ekpe secret society, Ibibio don't have Ekpe, different traditional gods and different greetings. There are many other differences, the only similarity between Efik and Ibibio is the food and language; although most young Ibibios growing up in Akwa Ibom will only understand a little Efik in the future, since Efik language isn't used in Akwa Ibom.
The most similar ethnic group in Akwa Ibom to Efik is Oron . Please refer to this websites for pictures;
Efik http://esopefik.tripod.com/efiktradition.html and Efik https://www.nairaland.com/478074/post-pictures-traditional-weddings/10
Ibibio https://www.nairaland.com/478074/post-pictures-traditional-weddings/16
Just as Efik and Ibibio differs Annang also has same differences, but Ananng dress mors.

EXAMPLE OF DIFFERENCES IN DANCE CULTURE
ezeagu
Is this Ibibio or Annang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWVRqEcpvXk

Will you be surprised if I find Annang people accusing Ibibio people of cannibalism? undecided
That is Annang, if it was filmed abroad, then there might be Ibibio youths joining in the Dance but the dance is traditionaly Annang dance called Utah.
This is Efik dance Ekombi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rynsh2CaqAk&feature=related

Better view of Ibibio dance here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQdZUsrdGw0&t=120s

Also having lived in Abak & Calabar for a while I can tell you the differences in language.
Words could be similar like English: I cannot, Annang: Nkarake, Ibibio: Nkanna, Efik :Nkemeke.
Words can also be totaly different like English:feces, Annang:Afid, Ibibio:Uduang, Efik:IfVO.

Example of sentences- English:-1) My house is were we all are/We're all in my house. 2) This is my house
Annang:-1) Ilung Ida ke afide ajid itie. 2)Ilung ida ade ami
Ibibio: 1) Ufok mmi ke afit nyin iba. 2) Ufok mmi ado mi
Efik:-1) Ebiet Idung mmi ke kpukpru nyin idu. 2) Ebiet idung mmi edi emi.

Most Ibibios & Efiks Do Not Understand Annang except the have lived in the Annang region, so how can the be dialects of each other Also Annang has 3-4Major dialect that an Ibibio or Efik won't understand 2words. Ibibio also has several dialects like Itumbonuzo, Eket etc.. Efik doesn't have any dialect as far as i know. So again how can Annang & Ibibio including their typical dialects be dialects of Efik?

FOR A FULL HISTORY OF ANNANGS, EFIKS & IBIBIOS including Oron, READ DETAILS HERE: https://www.nairaland.com/609355/whats-major-differance-between-igbo
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by simeotexy: 4:04pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mizwisdom:

As usual, an Encroaching Akwa Ibomite will not focus on his cursed state filled with dark forces grin , your affairs doesn't concern us in CRS, you're used as house boys and house girls here, your people are mainly illiterates (no offense), go and educate your local folks, stay out of our political affairs, we'll continue to frustrate your encroachment into our affairs, it was our people who frustrated her and we'll continue to do it. I repeat, Donald Duke first sent you encroachers away from our civil service go do your findings, if you encroach into our political affairs we will frustrate your lives, come and try it na, this is just the beginning grin if this issue was about AKB state, CRS people will keep silent but anything concerning CRS you will see the encroachers commenting as if CRS is their state grin go rescue your chief judge na grin
I didn't know cross riverians to be this dumb,,I always took an efik man to be our brother but u have showed me that efik people are the dumbest people on earth,spits

1 Like

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 04, 2020
Blackking98:

Really admired the way you've put that cheif tribal bigot in his place, thumbs up
You welcome bro.
He has too many things to work I but he chose to attack the SS.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by TUANKU(m): 4:11pm On Mar 04, 2020
Beachside:
A united and progressive Calabar (Akwacross) is preferred ,but for now I feel Akwa ibom can not be trusted. They think they have it all just due to baseless and unsustainable tangible development and 90 percent offshore oil which Uyo and Ikot ekepene have none of . They breed like rabbits and multiply poverty everywhere ,and they are not looking to unite,assimilate or accept Efik Calabarian methods as the standard and official.
I support denial of the Akwa ibom judge and the appointment of the judge as long as he is from Cross river. that's why there should be ID database to separate wheat from chaff.
On another thread, an akwa ibom individual was bragging that he was born and raised in calabar and ibibio will take over. His Allegiance is to Akwa ibom ,not cross river.
I am American born and raised and mixed race and I qualify to be Governor of Cross river than that guy . it's about roots ,not born and raised.
I don't care if an individual was born and lived ,school and worked all his life in Calabar, you are not from there and should be expelled if you do not pay allegiance to Calabar methods.
There will be no seaport at Akwa ibom within the next 30 years . The only seaport on plan within the next 4 years is the Calabar seaport at Akpabuyo which will serve the entire cross river and the Greater Calabar area including Akwa ibom.
Apart from English ,Efik is the standard and official language of the Cross river and Akwa ibom ,and is in the process of being registered by google.
If Akwa ibom does not agree with these methods, all akwa ibom people should be expelled from cross river and a border wall built., all other mthods will be implemented to punish Akwa ibom forever.
Well written garbage.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 04, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Meaning their souls had left but their bodies are just been here
Another grand delusion.

Where's Trump or US o Russia or Israel to help you get your biafra?

The FG sent python dance to crush you people, the same FG you claimed have called for talks without a proof.
How confused can one be?
SMH.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Mikekan30: 4:13pm On Mar 04, 2020
Beachside:
Some people think because they got a new artificial state a few days ago,they are different from Calabar and can do what they like. Such behavior is why the akwacross people are not united and considered weak and docile. If Oron ,Eket or annag get a new Mangrove and Itai states ,they too would follow the same path of more division . what sense does that make ?
Efik Calabar is the standard and official language.I think it should be compulsory in all cross river and akwa ibom schools. Efficient assimilation and propagation methods would go a long way.
There's record of Calabar kingship (Obong of Calabar) up to 850 years ago. All progressive ethnic nations on earth like Japan,Tswana land(Botswana),Netherlands,South Korea,etc. unite and accept the standard methods , only fools who got new state a few days ago are rebellious and chose the path of foolishness because they have large population. That's why akwacross people are viewed as weak and docile.

You are a BIG FOOL AND USELESS AS WHOLE...AKA IBM ARE BETTER THAN THE CURSED SLAVE TWIN MURDERERS CALLED CALA N BAD... YOU ARE JEALOUS BECAUDE WE EMBRACE LIGHT, CHANGE, DEVELOPMENT AND THE BEST AND CLEANEST STATE IN SOUTH SOUTH, THE BEST STADIUM IN THE COUNTRY, BEST MARITIME WATER WAYS, ONLY STATE IN THE COUNTRY TO HAVE ITS OWN AIRLINE....

CALABASAS IS CURSED AND YOU WILL REMAIN CURSED FOREVER.. WE ARE EVERYWHERE, WE REPRESENT EVERY WHERE, THE NBA PRESIDENT IS AN AKWA IBOM MAN, We have oil , you have Stone...MOST OF THE DEVELOPMENT IN CALABAR WERE ORCHESTRATED BY AN AKW IBOM MAN, MARGARET EKPO NA AKWA IBOM WOMAN. ..CURSED CALABAR ,

1 Like

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by simeotexy: 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2020
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed Tribalism will always be one of the major problem in nigeria....besides,i thought calabar and akwa ibom are sister-state..
me am from aks ND I thought so but this crs surprised me
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by justtoodark: 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2020
MOGPRAISE:

Rivers state NOT PH sir!

Port Harcourt is just a capital of Rivers state.
Tnx

i was born in ph and i still dont give a f about biafra....
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by EsomahJD: 4:17pm On Mar 04, 2020
This niger delta thing go hard eeh.

And don't think this cannot happen in yoruba land , wait in near future you will begin to hear ondo, ijebu, badagry etc begin to chart separately.

Oil politics will destroy blacks.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by nlPoster: 4:21pm On Mar 04, 2020
@ topic

I could be wrong but I don't think it's a big deal, the lady would probably be ratified later or given another appointment.

Typically, in Nigerian politics, women can hold positions in their husbands' states of origin.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Mikekan30: 4:21pm On Mar 04, 2020
simeotexy:
I didn't know cross riverians to be this dumb,,I always took an efik man to be our brother but u have showed me that efik people are the dumbest people on earth,spits
c

I SAID IT, THE AVERAGE EFIK IS A BORN FOOL WITH HIS BARBARIC CURSED METHODS, THEY ARE JEALOUS OF AKWA IBOM BECAUSE WE EMBRACE LIGHT WHILE THEM DARKNESS..ALL THE DEVELOPMENT COMES INTO AKWA IBOM WHILE CALA N' BAD ARE LEFT HOPELESS, HAGGARD AND JEALOUS... WE OWN CALABAMA RIGHT FROM INCEPTION FROM MAGARET EKPO TO CLEMENT ISONG,TO EDIDEM BASSEY TO DON ETIEBET TO FRIDAY EKPO TO KEPPY EKPEYONG BASSEY TO GOD'S WILL AKPABIO...
AKWA IBOM HAS BEEN THE LIGHT AND BRIGHTER STATE, YOUR CALABAR ARE CURSED THAT'S WHY KNOW PROGRESS...

JEALOUSY WILL KILL YOU ALL

ILLITERATE FOOOOOOOOLSS
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by simeotexy: 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Airport that is located in Forest? can you boldly go there at night alone without shivering? compare that to Cross River Airport in Town grin

So why you all don't like staying in your state? you invade CRS but you're not willing to be flexible and to accept your host way of life instead you want to establish your own and enforce your language grin I pray Ayade sends all AKB out of CRS civil service completely
wl. wat do u know about city planning and development,,aks is just spreading population dats all
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Mikekan30: 4:33pm On Mar 04, 2020
Beachside:

My advocacy for a united Akwa cross has nothing to do with unity begging nor do I think Akwa ibom has any more potential than Cross river. Based on my personal assessment,I think Cross river has more potential than Akwa ibom . I speak concrete facts because I have classified info . There will be no seaport at Akwa ibom anytime soon. In fact, there may be no Akwa ibom as it is today in 7 years .
Based on my interactions and what I know , Efik does not want unity with Akwa ibom people ,neither does Ogoja and the rest.
Cross river is 3 times larger than Akwa ibom and receives only $9 million dollars per month .Akwa ibom receives $55 Million dollars per month ,which isn't utilized efficiently.
There are thousands of akwa ibom people living in Cross river ,but there's not up to 200 people from cross river living in Akwa ibom.

May be you guys think everyone on this forum is Nigerian or lives in Nigeria. I know more about Nigeria and Africa than most who live there.
I think most Nigerians(including the ones who live in developed countries) are ignorant,uneducated(jungle education) with primitive jungle mentality, that's why Nigeria is a third world shiithole .
I'm American born and raised,Efik dad, though lived in Nigeria for 3 years. I think the Calabarians (Akwacross) should be more united. Based on my interactions with some Efik people , I doubt any wants unification with Akwa ibom. Infact, they oppose my idea about Akwacross unity.
Every idea and insinuations about akwa cross unity I post on this forum is my lone personal idea and has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.
I think it's a shame the (calabarians) Akwacross people are the most divisive ,they're viewed as weak and docile,and they really are. .

I never knew that even in your most advanced methods and so call developed country, you still potray some sense of myopic foolishness. .
Are Cross riverians this DUMB
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by BeStroNG(m): 4:36pm On Mar 04, 2020
Beachside:
A united and progressive Calabar (Akwacross) is preferred ,but for now I feel Akwa ibom can not be trusted. They think they have it all just due to baseless and unsustainable tangible development and 90 percent offshore oil which Uyo and Ikot ekepene have none of . They breed like rabbits and multiply poverty everywhere ,and they are not looking to unite,assimilate or accept Efik Calabarian methods as the standard and official.
I support denial of the Akwa ibom judge and the appointment of the judge as long as he is from Cross river. that's why there should be ID database to separate wheat from chaff.
On another thread, an akwa ibom individual was bragging that he was born and raised in calabar and ibibio will take over. His Allegiance is to Akwa ibom ,not cross river.
I am American born and raised and mixed race and I qualify to be Governor of Cross river than that guy . it's about roots ,not born and raised.
I don't care if an individual was born and lived ,school and worked all his life in Calabar, you are not from there and should be expelled if you do not pay allegiance to Calabar methods.
There will be no seaport at Akwa ibom within the next 30 years . The only seaport on plan within the next 4 years is the Calabar seaport at Akpabuyo which will serve the entire cross river and the Greater Calabar area including Akwa ibom.
Apart from English ,Efik is the standard and official language of the Cross river and Akwa ibom ,and is in the process of being registered by google.
If Akwa ibom does not agree with these methods, all akwa ibom people should be expelled from cross river and a border wall built., all other mthods will be implemented to punish Akwa ibom forever.

Your level of lunatic is pathetic.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Mikekan30: 4:39pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mizwisdom:
Good move from Cross River Assembly. You don't see Cross Riverians invading Akwa Ibom as they do. They don't like to be flexible or acknowledge that Cross River is unique and independent, they don't like to embrace diversity, an average Akwa Ibomite is rigid and unaccommodating. Stay in your lane.

ANOTHER DUMB ILLETRTE SPOTTED..
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Mikekan30: 4:43pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Airport that is located in Forest? can you boldly go there at night alone without shivering? compare that to Cross River Airport in Town grin

So why you all don't like staying in your state? you invade CRS but you're not willing to be flexible and to accept your host way of life instead you want to establish your own and enforce your language grin I pray Ayade sends all AKB out of CRS civil service completely

BUSH MAN, AKWA IBOM IS 50 TIMES BETTER DEVELOPED, INFRASTRUCTURE AND SAFE THAN CALA'N BAD... WE ARE TOO CLEAN AND UNIQUE...
WE ARE PRESENT IN EVERY STATE IN NIGERIA AND NOT YOUR CURSED CALABAR
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Mikekan30: 4:58pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Yeah Ben Ayade, Liyel Imoke is from where? grin go and install your sister na grin we'll deal with you wicked folks
, Eyen ufot.

BUSH MAN WITH NO BRAIN

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by radiolover(m): 4:59pm On Mar 04, 2020
axeman2:
Akwa Ibom Are Most Wicket Set Of Human I Am Saying It Out Of Experience very wicket people they should go back to their state we dont need them in cross river state

I'm not surprised to see your moniker as axeman. Cultism is all you idiots know in the state.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 5:08pm On Mar 04, 2020
mildflame:

No matter what don't banter with a woman on nairaland
She had to be put in her place. Insult was becoming too much
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 5:13pm On Mar 04, 2020
kingkakaone:

You welcome bro.
He has too many things to work I but he chose to attack the SS.
leave am
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Legendguru: 5:19pm On Mar 04, 2020
Oh
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by joecrack(m): 5:29pm On Mar 04, 2020
The events that played out between yesterday and today is indeed a shame and one which sadly I dare say I am disappointed that my state, known for it's peaceful and loving people have decided to toe the path of crass nepotism in blocking a woman who although is not a Crossiverien by birth, happens to be married to a Crossiverien, ironically her mother is a Crossiverien and she was born and had lived all her life in Cross River which typically would mean she's "a daughter of the soil".

But people who are not Crossiveriens will be shocked that this rivalry will get to this level seeing Cross River and Akwa Ibom use to be one State. As a Crossiverien who was not born nor grew up home, this surprise struck me when I went to school in Calabar during my University days, I was shocked at the staunch hatred between indigenes of both States and for the purpose of clarity I must confess that this enmity is in two folds; hatred by the Efiks in Cross River towards their supposed brothers from the Ibibio and Anang stock in Akwa Ibom, this of course is vice versa and also a strong disdain from Northern and Central Crossiveriens towards Akwaibomites and for the purpose of record is also a mutual feeling.

The Efiks are largely easy going folks some may say docile but one thing is sure, they take life very easy and tend towards enjoying themselves and being jolly, in contrast, a typical man from Akwa Ibom is a hustler, very indoustrous, boisterous and domineering. Their adventurous nature has seen them become popular in places like Calabar South LGA, in fact folks from Akwa Ibom make up 60% of population in Calabar South. There is this joke in Calabar that during the days of Donald Duke, he went to visit a village in the Akpabuyo LGA, he asked for the Chief of the community and surprisingly he was told that the Chief went to his Village in Akwa Ibom, how ironic that an "outsider" is royalty in another man's village. These adventurous attitude and of course coupled with land grabbing expeditions by folks from Akwa Ibom brewed wrangling between the Efiks and their brothers from Akwa Ibom. Asides this, because of the the language similarities, most people from Akwa Ibom became mischievous and used that to their advantage by forging local government origins so as to get employment, admission and other gratifications from Cross River, deep down in them, they claim allegiance to Akwa Ibom but will also claim one village in either Calabar South, Odukpani or Akpabuyo when looking for perks.

On the one hand you have Central and Northern Cross River, these are ethnicities which are quite different in languages and culture from the Efiks and Akwaibomites, they had been tagged derogatory name as the Atams (whatever that means) by the Efiks and their brothers from Akwa Ibom, they, though being in majority had suffered marginalisation from time immemorial when the both States were one. These people also have a disdain towards Akwaibomites basically as a fight back towards undue entitlement mentality from Akwaibomites of either jobs, admission and benefits that comes with government. Typically, the Atam man hates the Akwa Ibom man just as in the same vain the Akwa Ibom man hates the Atam man. The Atam man which also sees himself as also boisterous and even adventurous in equal measure feels they must do everything it takes to push the Akwa Ibom man out because left to the Efiks, Akwaibomites will overun the whole Calabar and that’s why unfortunately the biggest losers in all of these are the Efiks, because due to the control of political office by folks from the Central and Northern Cross River for over 12 years now, concentration of government perks either by appointment, infrastructure, jobs, admission etc is given to people more from Northern and Central Cross River because the notion is that, that Efik man you want to give an opportunity, how sure are you he’s not from Akwa Ibom? This disdain is further fuelled by the fact that Crossiveriens are hardly given opportunities in Akwa Ibom. In the civil service, admission, contracts even at the level of academics, our children can’t even contest for Class Rep positions not to talk of the SUG, in fact there was an incident of one Prof. Unoh who wanted to be VC of University of Uyo, he was threatened till he was even shot at, sadly his driver died just because his colleagues from Akwa Ibom did not want him to emerge.
A twist to this bickering is the lost of oil wells belonging to Cross River by a “smart” Godswill Akpabuyo, right under the nose of Crossiveriens, Godswill in a typical sense man style used the National Boundary Commission to cart away oil wells belonging to Cross River while the then Governor of Cross River State was monkeying away. This singular act further heitened the tension between the two states because Crossiveriens saw it as an act of wickedness from her sister state and supposed child to want to steal her birthright and plunging her into poverty more so when Akwa Ibom has hundreds of oil wells.
Today in terms of oil allocation, Akwa Ibom gets the largest in the Country, Cross River is left with none, buy yet you have thousands of Akwaibomites living in Cross River, these people have to also share infrastructure provided by the Cross River State government yet, she was robbed of her wealth by Akwa Ibom.

So, these frictions have been going on and the event of the Chief Judge has further highlighted the rivalry between these States, but this is not to say there is no love, I will only say it’s a love-hate relationship because we are stucked with ourselves, there is intermarriage going on amongst us everyday, we interact at level of school and all that but the relationship has reached one where one looks at the other with suspicious eyes.
There are those who also believe that the decision not to allow Justice Ikpeme be the substantive Chief Judge is Political. Local Government Elections are just behind the corner, perhaps Gov Ayade does not want to take any chance and feels Ikpeme won’t play ball with him so he decided to push her away to give way for the next most senior Judge who happens to be from his senatorial district.
It should be worthy to note that the Speaker of the CRS House of Assembly (who gave a veto vote because voting proceedings to confirm Justice Ikpeme saw the election into a tie because 8 legislators were on the fence, 8 voted YES while another 8 voted NO, the Speaker’s vote voided the application) wife is from Akwa Ibom, infact about 4 members in the House Spouces are from Akwa Ibom.
In all, let love always lead and let us have the ability to tolerate ourselves. I’m this regard I doff my hat for the South West, they lead when it comes to tolerance, we all should learn from them.

5 Likes

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by densiks: 5:29pm On Mar 04, 2020
ibibiogrl:

What has Obolo in Ijaw got to do with Annangs and Ibibios So Uruan that hosted Efiks for some centuries now= the whole of Ibibioland undecided
Eket is a subgroup of Ibibio in culture and everything, they even speak Ibibio-proper as a 2nd langauge. Similar to Oron and Efik.
Let Me give you a summary explanation in a brief detail;
Here are the Major differences in Cultures between Efik, Annang & Ibibio [/

EXAMPLE OF DIFFERENCES IN DANCE CULTURE

This is Efik dance Ekombi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rynsh2CaqAk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQdZUsrdGw0&t=120s

[b] Also having lived in Abak & Calabar for a while I can tell you the differences in language.
Words could be similar like English: I cannot, Annang: Nkarake, Ibibio: Nkanna, Efik :Nkemeke.
Words can also be totaly different like English:feces, Annang:Afid, Ibibio:Uduang, Efik:IfVO.

Example of sentences- English:-1) My house is were we all are/We're all in my house. 2) This is my house
Annang:-1) Ilung Ida ke afide ajid itie. 2)Ilung ida ade ami
Ibibio: 1) Ufok mmi ke afit nyin iba. 2) Ufok mmi ado mi
Efik:-1) Ebiet Idung mmi ke kpukpru nyin idu. 2) Ebiet idung mmi edi emi.

Most Ibibios & Efiks Do Not Understand Annang except the have lived in the Annang region, so how can the be dialects of each other Also Annang has 3-4Major dialect that an Ibibio or Efik won't understand 2words. Ibibio also has several dialects like Itumbonuzo, Eket etc.. Efik doesn't have any dialect as far as i know. So again how can Annang & Ibibio including their typical dialects be dialects of Efik?

FOR A FULL HISTORY OF ANNANGS, EFIKS & IBIBIOS including Oron, READ DETAILS HERE: https://www.nairaland.com/609355/whats-major-differance-between-igbo

There are some points raised in the mixed write ups that are inconsistent with facts and accurate historical records.

My intention is not to argue but to deepen the conversation if necessary on nairaland or other platforms.

I have a relative who is married to someone from eastern obolo,so when I write about their culture,I speak from first hand knowledge and I understand that culture includes but is not limited to marital rites,food and socio-economic practices hence the emphasis on similarly of culture.

I have previously sought expert information from established linguists who studied ibibio/Efik language and it is established that a wider reference of the groupings havevthe same root language but dialectical differences.

I am ibibio by grouping and I appreciate some of the points captured in the posts you put up but I must point out that some of the information there are either inaccurate or written by people with a limited knowledge of the original history and evolving practices amongst the various groupings.

It is heartwarming to know you love your people and you like to identify with their rich history and culture.

Kudos eyeneka.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 5:32pm On Mar 04, 2020
simeotexy:
she's not Efik, she most likely atam. All the Efik and akampa lawmakers voted in favour of the woman. They can't betray us and vice versa, blood is thicker than water or state boundaries
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by nlPoster: 5:32pm On Mar 04, 2020
Where are the Cross River wife married to Akwa Ibom husband mixtures.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 5:41pm On Mar 04, 2020
joecrack:
The events that played out between yesterday and today is indeed a shame and one which sadly I dare say I am disappointed that my state, known for it's peaceful and loving people have decided to toe the path of crass nepotism in blocking a woman who although is not a Crossiverien by birth, happens to be married to a Crossiverien, ironically her mother is a Crossiverien and she was born and had lived all her life in Cross River which typically would mean she's "a daughter of the soil".

But people who are not Crossiveriens will be shocked that this rivalry will get to this level seeing Cross River and Akwa Ibom use to be one State. As a Crossiverien who was not born nor grew up home, this surprise struck me when I went to school in Calabar during my University days, I was shocked at the staunch hatred between indigenes of both States and for the purpose of clarity I must confess that this enmity is in two folds; hatred by the Efiks in Cross River towards their supposed brothers from the Ibibio and Anang stock in Akwa Ibom, this of course is vice versa and also a strong disdain from Northern and Central Crossiveriens towards Akwaibomites and for the purpose of record is also a mutual feeling.

The Efiks are largely easy going folks some may say docile but one thing is sure, they take life very easy and tend towards enjoying themselves and being jolly, in contrast, a typical man from Akwa Ibom is a hustler, very indoustrous, boisterous and domineering. Their adventurous nature has seen them become popular in places like Calabar South LGA, in fact folks from Akwa Ibom make up 60% of population in Calabar South. There is this joke in Calabar that during the days of Donald Duke, he went to visit a village in the Akpabuyo LGA, he asked for the Chief of the community and surprisingly he was told that the Chief went to his Village in Akwa Ibom, how ironic that an "outsider" is royalty in another man's village. These adventurous attitude and of course coupled with land grabbing expeditions by folks from Akwa Ibom brewed wrangling between the Efiks and their brothers from Akwa Ibom. Asides this, because of the the language similarities, most people from Akwa Ibom became mischievous and used that to their advantage by forging local government origins so as to get employment, admission and other gratifications from Cross River, deep down in them, they claim allegiance to Akwa Ibom but will also claim one village in either Calabar South, Odukpani or Akpabuyo when looking for perks.

On the one hand you have Central and Northern Cross River, these are ethnicities which are quite different in languages and culture from the Efiks and Akwaibomites, they had been tagged derogatory name as the Atams (whatever that means) by the Efiks and their brothers from Akwa Ibom, they, though being in majority had suffered marginalisation from time immemorial when the both States were one. These people also have a disdain towards Akwaibomites basically as a fight back towards undue entitlement mentality from Akwaibomites of either jobs, admission and benefits that comes with government. Typically, the Atam man hates the Akwa Ibom man just as in the same vain the Akwa Ibom man hates the Atam man. The Atam man which also sees himself as also boisterous and even adventurous in equal measure feels they must do everything it takes to push the Akwa Ibom man out because left to the Efiks, Akwaibomites will overun the whole Calabar and that’s why unfortunately the biggest losers in all of these are the Efiks, because due to the control of political office by folks from the Central and Northern Cross River for over 12 years now, concentration of government perks either by appointment, infrastructure, jobs, admission etc is given to people more from Northern and Central Cross River because the notion is that, that Efik man you want to give an opportunity, how sure are you he’s not from Akwa Ibom? This disdain is further fuelled by the fact that Crossiveriens are hardly given opportunities in Akwa Ibom. In the civil service, admission, contracts even at the level of academics, our children can’t even contest for Class Rep positions not to talk of the SUG, in fact there was an incident of one Prof. Unoh who wanted to be VC of University of Uyo, he was threatened till he was even shot at, sadly his driver died just because his colleagues from Akwa Ibom did not want him to emerge.
A twist to this bickering is the lost of oil wells belonging to Cross River by a “smart” Godswill Akpabuyo, right under the nose of Crossiveriens, Godswill in a typical sense man style used the National Boundary Commission to cart away oil wells belonging to Cross River while the then Governor of Cross River State was monkeying away. This singular act further heitened the tension between the two states because Crossiveriens saw it as an act of wickedness from her sister state and supposed child to want to steal her birthright and plunging her into poverty more so when Akwa Ibom has hundreds of oil wells.
Today in terms of oil allocation, Akwa Ibom gets the largest in the Country, Cross River is left with none, buy yet you have thousands of Akwaibomites living in Cross River, these people have to also share infrastructure provided by the Cross River State government yet, she was robbed of her wealth by Akwa Ibom.

So, these frictions have been going on and the event of the Chief Judge has further highlighted the rivalry between these States, but this is not to say there is no love, I will only say it’s a love-hate relationship because we are stucked with ourselves, there is intermarriage going on amongst us everyday, we interact at level of school and all that but the relationship has reached one where one looks at the other with suspicious eyes.
There are those who also believe that the decision not to allow Justice Ikpeme be the substantive Chief Judge is Political. Local Government Elections are just behind the corner, perhaps Gov Ayade does not want to take any chance and feels Ikpeme won’t play ball with him so he decided to push her away to give way for the next most senior Judge who happens to be from his senatorial district.
It should be worthy to note that the Speaker of the CRS House of Assembly (who gave a veto vote because voting proceedings to confirm Justice Ikpeme saw the election into a tie because 8 legislators were on the fence, 8 voted YES while another 8 voted NO, the Speaker’s vote voided the application) wife is from Akwa Ibom, infact about 4 members in the House Spouces are from Akwa Ibom.
In all, let love always lead and let us have the ability to tolerate ourselves. I’m this regard I doff my hat for the South West, they lead when it comes to tolerance, we all should learn from them.
Everything you wrote here is true, except for the fact you said "nothern and central Cross river are in the majority". That is where is a lie. If they were a majority why did they clamour for state creation when they have the numbers to dominate? It doesn't add up. Akwa Ibom alone has more population than cross river(efiks included) , check census or election results as far back as abiolas election to confirm, Akwa Ibom always gives atleast double of what Cross river gives, now by the time you add the efiks and recently akampa (the two lawmakers from there voted in favour of the woman and ibibio is the most spoken language there outside their native language) to their brothers in Akwa Ibom, the central and nothern cross riverians stood no chance and still stand no chance against us, hence they clamour for state separation, my own is unless power doesn't come back to southern Cross river which Akwa ibomites have domineering presence there, the atam people will have to thread with caution. Finally we call you guys atam because the atam people were the first central and nothern Cross riverians our fathers came in contact with, so I guess they assumed everybody from biase up is atam not knowing there were so many ethnicities there, it's nothing derogatory, it doesn't have meaning in our language.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by orisa37: 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2020
Please tell us the whole Truth. And She is a Citizen of Cross River by Marriage.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by klax(m): 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Abeg go siddon, Ife and Modakeke nko? grin

Awori will always claim ownership of Lagos before any Yoruba tribe and they do intimidate others, abeg go siddon grin

Fulani do discrimate against Hausas, you're just unaware.

We should all be one but when we open our arms and the next person refuses to do same it leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I still believe a country is stronger when all tribes are united, we will get there with time and good leadership

You see your problem? You lack a bit of sense read my post again you will understand where im heading to.

Pls give one example Ife or Ekiti Judge or Reveren or pastor or Imam was rejected in Modakeke or Aeori because he is from Ile Ife or Ado Ekiti just one example?

Learn to read and have good discerning spirit to understand a statement and grab the actual meaning.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by nlPoster: 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2020
orisa37:
She is a Citizen of Cross River by Marriage.

I guess.

Perhaps Nigerian states should give citizenship to non indigenes married to indigenes.

http://saharareporters.com/2019/05/08/married-women-free-choose-state-origin-reps-pass-bill
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by joecrack(m): 6:41pm On Mar 04, 2020
Blackking98:

Everything you wrote here is true, except for the fact you said "nothern and central Cross river are in the majority". That is where is a lie. If they were a majority why did they clamour for state creation when they have the numbers to dominate? It doesn't add up. Akwa Ibom alone has more population than cross river(efiks included) , check census or election results as far back as abiolas election to confirm, Akwa Ibom always gives atleast double of what Cross river gives, now by the time you add the efiks and recently akampa (the two lawmakers from there voted in favour of the woman and ibibio is the most spoken language there outside their native language) to their brothers in Akwa Ibom, the central and nothern cross riverians stood no chance and still stand no chance against us, hence they clamour for state separation, my own is unless power doesn't come back to southern Cross river which Akwa ibomites have domineering presence there, the atam people will have to thread with caution. Finally we call you guys atam because the atam people were the first central and nothern Cross riverians our fathers came in contact with, so I guess they assumed everybody from biase up is atam not knowing there were so many ethnicities there, it's nothing derogatory, it doesn't have meaning in our language.

I meant majority in population in present day Cross River State.

Secondly, Akwaibomites cannot dominate Atams, unfortunately the Efiks will suffer for all this because of the language similarities and the fact that they share same affinity with y'all, so it is easy to claim origins from there but that in itself lies a problem because the Atams who actually control the state will at every opportunity deny the Efik man rights because he feels that man might be an Akwaibomite, safe for the real Efiks.

Make no mistake, if you think Ayade is returning power to the Efiks then you're dreaming, from what I've heard and the scheming going on, an Efik man won't become the next governor. The present crop of Politicians from the Atam axis are actually Machiavellians, don't worry, you'll see what will unfold.

On State creation, Ogoja State will have been but not for the political wranglings amongst their kin, that is a long story I won't want to dive in.

1 Like

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2020
-
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by nsilordgmail(m): 7:19pm On Mar 04, 2020
Beachside:
Da, eyen inò adi ata ishie! Come on, gerrout of here

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Uno State Of Cameroon: Foreign Affairs Ministry, UN Office In Nigeria Deny It / 2023: Bala Mohammed Breaks Alliance With G-5, Endorse Atiku Abubakar / Moves To Oust Fayose Before May 29 Thickens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.