Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,814 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment (62647 Views)

Coronavirus: India Lifts Ban On Chloroquine Export After Trump's Threat / Coronavirus: US Approves Chloroquine As Treatment - Trump / Coronavirus - BREAKING NEWS - Ordinary CHLOROQUINE Used To Treat & Even CURE it (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by ikorodureporta: 7:07am On Mar 20, 2020
A few hours after President Donald Trump said chloroquine had been approved to treat COVID-19, the demand for the drug increased in stores across Lagos and Abuja. In the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, health experts had dismissed speculations that chloroquine could be used in fighting the virus, but at a press conference on Thursday said, Trump the drug had gone through the approval process, a statement contrary to that of Stephen Hahn, the commissioner for Food and Drug Administration who maintained that chloroquine would still need to go through clinical trials.

Chloroquine, an oral artemisinin-based monotherapies (oAMTs) for malaria treatment, could become a scarce commodity in a matter of days. TheCable observed how people were rushing to get the drugs on Thursday evening.

At Chris Health Pharmacy, Onilekere area of Lagos, the store owner who gave his name as Chris said he was yet to understand why people trooped in to buy chloroquine.

I have about 20 packs left and all finished this evening. In fact, only one person bought 15 packs. He said he would return tomorrow when I have more,” he told TheCable.

Chris who appeared not to have followed the news lately asked: “Please, what is happening? Why are people buying chloroquine?”

At the Ojota/Ogudu axis, people also rushed to buy chloroquine. When TheCable visited Neat Line Pharmacy on Ogudu road, the attendant said the available drug was not for adults but Children.

A lady who came in and bought six chloroquine syrup for children said: “They said it was 50:50 cure for coronavirus before, but the US president confirmed today that it should be used for coronavirus. I’m sure the prices would go up immediately.”

A pharmacy at Jendol Superstores in Isheri Olofin, chloroquine was not available but a roadside shop had it at the rate of N150 per sachet. When TheCable visited Abek Pharmacy at Old Ipaja road in Agege, the attendant said chloroquine was still available also at the rate of N150.

At Christhes Pharmacy along Ijegun-Ikotun road, Alimosho, the attendant said chloroquine was also available but sold for N250

One of the store owners in Ijegun who identified himself as Moses said the drug has been in high demand as he had received more orders in just six hours.

The product was unavailable at Skylife Standard Pharmacy on college road, Ogba. The pharmacist said: “People rushed in to buy this evening as soon the announcement was made that it could cure coronavirus.”

Three of the pharmacies in Garki area of Abuja were selling the drug within the price range of N200 to N250, while it sold for N500 in another.

At Glotop Pharmacy, located close to Apo legislative quarters, the drug was already sold out at the rate of N500.

“It was not in high demand before but people have been rushing it,” an official at the pharmacy said.

At Augustina Medical Complex in Durumi, the drug was sold at N200 even as the attendant said there has not been any noticeable difference in the demand.

It was the same situation at Dorathyl Pharmacy, also in Durumi, except that it sold sold for N250.

The last packet was being sold for N150 as TheCable got to Zochem Pharmacy in Abuja. The store owner, however, said he has placed orders for more and from Friday, he would sell for N500 or even more.

The drug was sold out at Jessi-Jen pharmacy in Abuja but at the Eleventh Pharmacy also in Abuja, a packet that used to be N300 is now selling for N800.
https://www.thecable.ng/coronavirus-lagos-abuja-residents-clearing-out-chloroquine-from-stores-after-trumps-comment/amp

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by seunlayi(m): 7:15am On Mar 20, 2020
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by NaijaRoyalty(m): 7:25am On Mar 20, 2020
Naija my country Lol

97 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by ChristianNorth: 7:26am On Mar 20, 2020
At Ikeja yesterday, before my eyes, chloroquine sold out. They started rushing the syrup and it also sold out before it gets to my turn.

I drove to the next pharmacy and was only able to get one.

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 20, 2020
First of all, i hail the Nigerian doctors who have successfully treated the Italian who brought the virus to the country, who now turns negative. They've done it again as they did in ebola virus days and they deserve commendation for that.

The government of the day must now do the needful to equip our hospitals, provide basic health facilities and improve the conditions of our health workers nationwide because epidemics no dey send warning signs before striking. Our government's primary assignment is to save the lives of those they govern as they're seen as servants to them and not masters.

On cloroquine issue, it can never finish lol. Local pharmaceutical companies would rather commence mass production to help prevent any possible scarcity.

173 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by DateMynd44(m): 7:47am On Mar 20, 2020
ChristianNorth:
At Ikeja yesterday, before my eyes, chloroquine sold out. They started rushing the syrup and it also sold out before it gets to my turn.

I drove to the next pharmacy and was only able to get one.
are u Serious?
One then needs to get it before it is cleared completely.
Do u know how much is it and how to get the effective one?
Also how about the dosage while taking it since it's self medication

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by DateMynd44(m): 7:49am On Mar 20, 2020
fairfora:
First of all, i hail the Nigerian doctors who have successfully treated the Italian who brought the virus to the country, who now turns negative. They've done it again as they did in ebola virus days and they deserve commendation for that.

The government of the day must now do the needful to equip our hospitals, provide basic health facilities and improve the conditions of our health workers nationwide because epidemics no dey send warning signs before striking. Our government's primary assignment is to save the lives of those they govern as they're seen as servants to them and not masters.

On cloroquine issue, it can never finish lol. Local pharmaceutical companies would rather commence mass production to help prevent any possible scarcity.
I pray they don't circulate the fake ones

40 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by DateMynd44(m): 7:50am On Mar 20, 2020
Everyone wants to stay alive cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by babyfaceafrica: 7:51am On Mar 20, 2020
Nigerians always overdoing things

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 20, 2020
DateMynd44:
I pray they don't circulate the fake ones
that's my fear too. Nigerians are wonderful grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by ChristianNorth: 8:17am On Mar 20, 2020
DateMynd44:
are u Serious?
One then needs to get it before it is cleared completely.
Do u know how much is it and how to get the effective one?
Also how about the dosage while taking it since it's self medication

N200. I was only able to get one. The pharmacy prescribed 4 tablets but I took only 2.

I don't know the right dosage but I know 2 tablets is not over dosage.

France used 600mcg per day for 10 days to cure the first 24 corona virus, this is according to French Health Minister yesterday.

The reason I got it was because they also said taking the drug could help those who have not contracted the virus to build stronger defenses and those already with the virus, it could help reduce hospital bed time by 6 days.

Chloroquine has side effects and should be administered carefully.

Like Trump said, even if something goes wrong it won't kill people, so be strategic in your usage or just stock and wait for government guidance.

Even studies in China have shown that chloroquine could be effective against corona virus.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by DateMynd44(m): 8:23am On Mar 20, 2020
ChristianNorth:

N200. I was only able to get one. The pharmacy prescribed 4 tablets but I took only 2.

France used 600mcg per day for 10 days to cure the first 24 corona virus, this is according to French Health Minister yesterday.

The reason I got it was because they also said taking the drug could help those who have not contracted the virus to build stronger defenses and those already with the virus, it could help reduce hospital bed time by 6 days.

Like Trump said, even if something goes wrong it won't kill people, so be strategic in your usage or just stock and wait for government guidance.

Even studies in China have shown that chloroquine could be effective against corona virus.

Thank you very much.
So you have started taking it already so as to build your immunity against it in advance.
Hope it isn't dangerous to start taking the drug when there isn't any illness in my body simply because I want to stay immuned against Covid-19

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Doortun(m): 8:42am On Mar 20, 2020
It is not advisable to use chloroquine prophylactically for the virus. Wait till there is enough evidence supporting that.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by braveboy64(m): 8:58am On Mar 20, 2020
Hmm �
Price then will...
Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Notyamate(f): 9:02am On Mar 20, 2020
undecided

Trust Nigerians, no dulling. Watch as the price of chloroquine skyrocket.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by ikorodureporta: 10:59am On Mar 20, 2020
ChristianNorth:

do u have Corona

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by ikorodureporta: 11:00am On Mar 20, 2020
Agbo shl b more effective than chloroquine sef

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Sabicleaners: 11:08am On Mar 20, 2020
Watch how chloroquine becomes scarce commodity very soon just like nose mask and sanitizer.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by iCauseTrouble: 11:26am On Mar 20, 2020
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by wman(m): 11:26am On Mar 20, 2020
We need to be careful with these things.

Hydroxylchloroquine is different from Chloroquine Phosphate which is popular in Nigeria. Hydroxylchloroquine is less toxic and has fewer side effects than Chloroquine Phosphate.

No one has approved Chloroquine yet. It's still under testing. Trump jumped the gun with that statement. They later corrected him.

Our Chloroquine can still help sha. But be careful with it. Don't use it without a medical prescription.

And please, stay safe people. The availability of Chloroquine doesn't mean that you should still put yourself at risk not every one that used Chloroquine survived Coronavirus.

People older than 65 years of age are susceptible to death from the virus. People that are hypertensive, people with breathing and lung problems, people with an underlying health condition, people with weak immune systems, and people that are chain smokers will die easily from the virus.

And forget all that nonsense talk about Africans not dying from it. The Vice-President of Burkina Faso has died from the virus.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by ignis: 11:27am On Mar 20, 2020
Nigerians are business minded. In this Buharia economy where hunger is the order of the day, sleeping and dulling is a crime.

Hustle make you no loose your bae to a rich guy.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by toxxnoni(m): 11:27am On Mar 20, 2020
Ok
Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Babatunde40(m): 11:27am On Mar 20, 2020
They will still throw it away las las

Chloroquine is not salt that they can use for something else

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 20, 2020
Fake ones from.onitsha to hit the market in

3 2 1 wink

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:28am On Mar 20, 2020
Igbos and their negative ideas all in the name of being enterprising

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by Pavore9: 11:28am On Mar 20, 2020
Hmm...this same Chloroquine with its itching reactions?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by iammo(m): 11:28am On Mar 20, 2020
that's effect of internet
Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by themonk(m): 11:28am On Mar 20, 2020
Is hydroxychloroquine the same as chloroquine. I want to know because the official medical report said hydroxychloroquine has a curative effect.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Clearing Out Chloroquine From Stores After Trump's Comment by emmabest2000(m): 11:29am On Mar 20, 2020
9jar no dey carry last

Next one na salt dem go rush grin

Offloading time cheesy

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Milk: I've Been Farting Uncontrollably After Taking This... / Baby In India Born With An Additional Head Attached To Its Stomach (Graphic Pics / Lightning Strike Kills Referee During Football Match In Niger State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.