Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife (40052 Views)

Abiriba Kingdom In Abia Holds 600-Year-Old ‘Itu Eye’ Ceremony In Grand Style / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 9:32pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Regarding yo
The “Great Wall” of Benin
You are here:HomeSwiftTalk Service TownsStatesThe “Great Wall” of Benin
Aug, 16, 2019

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=257034751865597&id=250714491773177&sfnsn=mo

In Benin, capital city of present day Edo State stood the walls of Benin (800 – 1400AD) which are the longest ancient earthworks in the world and apparently the largest man-made structure on earth. The walls are a set of earthworks comprising of banks and ditches called Iya in the native tongue. It comprises 15 kilometres (9.3 miles) of “Iya” (banks and ditches) city and an estimated 16,000 kilometres (9,900 miles) in the rural areas surrounding Benin. As at that time, with its enormous length, it was speculated to be double the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was declared in the year 2012 (after five years of thorough measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great wall has a length of around 21, 0000 km.

The time of construction is not precisely known which gives it different assumptions as to the date

First view: Graham Connah predicted the walls may have been built between the thirteenth and mid-fifteenth century CE.
Second view: Patrick Darling predicted the walls of Benin (in the Esan region) may have been built during the first millennium CE.

How the walls were built
The walls were built with a ditch and dike arrangement. The ditch was bore to form an inner moat with the excavated earth used to create the exterior rampart.

Remains

The Walls of Benin were destroyed by the British in 1897 during the named Punitive expedition. Disjointed pieces of the wall remain in Edo, with a large proportion on them being used by the residents for construction purposes. The little that remains of the wall is continually demolished for real estate developments.

Fred Pearce in an article in the New Scientist (September 11th 1999) said “They extend for some 16,000km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They cover 2, 510 sq. miles (6, 500 square kilometres) and were all dug by the Edo people. In all, they are four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops. They took an estimated 150 million hours of digging to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet.”

An ethno mathematician named Ron Eglash explained the planned blueprint of the city using fractals at the ground level, not just in the city, also in the villages and in the rooms of houses. He stated that “When Europeans first came to Africa, they considered the architecture very disorganised and thus primitive. It never occurred to them that the Africans might have been using a form of mathematics that they hadn’t even discovered yet.”

The walls of Benin were famously described by the Guinness Book of Records (1974 edition) as being “the world’s largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era.” Also, Benin city was in the league of the first cities to have a likeness of street lighting with large metal lamps, a large number of feet high, built and placed around the city
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 9:33pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Thick skull, I was only asking you to know what Oke means before you disgrace your self saying an Oke (hill) was not around during Oduduwa's days. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Just say Oke Ora. That’s the name of the place in contention. The way u are avoiding the Ora in Oke shows that either u don’t believe the Oke Ora account or Oduduwa is not from there lol.
U are really a confused Yoruba.

Now tell me, is oduduwa from Oke Ora?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]ust say Oke Ora. That’s the name of the place in contention. The way u are avoiding the Ora in Oke shows that either u don’t believe the Oke Ora account or Oduduwa is not from there lol.
U are really a confused Yoruba.

Now tell me, is oduduwa from Oke Ora?[/s]

You are a dummy who is only able to fool dumber dummies like himself.

You already bungled instead of you to crawl back into your hole, you're still here talking.

Saying Oke-Ora didn't exist at Oduduwa's time (which you said) is as foolish and dumb as saying Olumo Rock was not there during the time of Obasanjo's great great ... grand father. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:41pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

The “Great Wall” of Benin
You are here:HomeSwiftTalk Service TownsStatesThe “Great Wall” of Benin
Aug, 16, 2019

In Benin, capital city of present day Edo State stood the walls of Benin (800 – 1400AD) which are the longest ancient earthworks in the world and apparently the largest man-made structure on earth. The walls are a set of earthworks comprising of banks and ditches called Iya in the native tongue. It comprises 15 kilometres (9.3 miles) of “Iya” (banks and ditches) city and an estimated 16,000 kilometres (9,900 miles) in the rural areas surrounding Benin. As at that time, with its enormous length, it was speculated to be double the length of the Great Wall of China, until it was declared in the year 2012 (after five years of thorough measurement by Chinese surveyors) that the Great wall has a length of around 21, 0000 km.

The time of construction is not precisely known which gives it different assumptions as to the date

First view: Graham Connah predicted the walls may have been built between the thirteenth and mid-fifteenth century CE.
Second view: Patrick Darling predicted the walls of Benin (in the Esan region) may have been built during the first millennium CE.

How the walls were built
The walls were built with a ditch and dike arrangement. The ditch was bore to form an inner moat with the excavated earth used to create the exterior rampart.

Remains

The Walls of Benin were destroyed by the British in 1897 during the named Punitive expedition. Disjointed pieces of the wall remain in Edo, with a large proportion on them being used by the residents for construction purposes. The little that remains of the wall is continually demolished for real estate developments.

Fred Pearce in an article in the New Scientist (September 11th 1999) said “They extend for some 16,000km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They cover 2, 510 sq. miles (6, 500 square kilometres) and were all dug by the Edo people. In all, they are four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops. They took an estimated 150 million hours of digging to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet.”

An ethno mathematician named Ron Eglash explained the planned blueprint of the city using fractals at the ground level, not just in the city, also in the villages and in the rooms of houses. He stated that “When Europeans first came to Africa, they considered the architecture very disorganised and thus primitive. It never occurred to them that the Africans might have been using a form of mathematics that they hadn’t even discovered yet.”

The walls of Benin were famously described by the Guinness Book of Records (1974 edition) as being “the world’s largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era.” Also, Benin city was in the league of the first cities to have a likeness of street lighting with large metal lamps, a large number of feet high, built and placed around the city

Oga calm down! You bungled on this one as always.

The world's largest man-made monument on earth is a pyramid.

"The largest pyramid, and the largest monument ever constructed, is the Quetzalcóatl Pyramid at Cholula de Rivadavia."

I wont cite you Facebook links. No! I will rather cite you a link to Guinness World Records itself.

See link below to Guinness World Record webpage. wink wink wink

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-pyramid/
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 9:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

You are a dummy who is only able to fool dumber dummies like himself.

You already bungled instead of you to crawl back into your hole, you're still here talking.

Saying Oke-Ora didn't exist at Oduduwa's time (which you said) is as foolish and dumb as saying Olumo Rock was not there during the time of Obasanjo's great great ... grand father. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Idiot is olumo rock name of a town/village? Are u that shallow u cannot comprehend simple question?
If we go by ur foolish logic about olumo rock then one can say Oduduwa descended from a hill on chains. So how did he get to top of the hill? From the sky?
U are indeed a fool. U can’t even present ur argument in a reasonable manner.
Please don’t rub ur foolishness on moneywoman.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 9:46pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

"The largest pyramid, and the largest monument ever constructed, is the Quetzalcóatl Pyramid at Cholula de Rivadavia."

I wont cite you Facebook links. No! I will rather cite you a link to Guinness World Records itself.

Largest Pyramid is different from largest man made structure.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=257034751865597&id=250714491773177&sfnsn=mo

Even if you spin it and argue from now till tomorrow, it's still larger than anything ever built in Africa let alone your little enclave.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:47pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Idiot is olumo rock name of a town/village? Are u that shallow u cannot comprehend simple question?
If we go by ur foolish logic about olumo rock then one can say Oduduwa descended from a hill on chains. So how did he get to top of the hill? From the sky?
U are indeed a fool. U can’t even present ur argument in a reasonable manner.
Please don’t rub ur foolishness on moneywoman.[/s]

That's the best example to illustrate your dumbness as your skull is too thick.

Oke-Ora is Yoruba for Ora-Hills.

It was always there. Oduduwa didn't (as you will say) "bring it" from your imagined Mecca.

You obviously hear strange voices.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 9:47pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Idiot Benin walls are the largest man made structures/earthworks in the world.
Ur jealousy and congeal has indeed blinded u.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:50pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

I knew your English deficiency will show! grin grin grin grin

Its says "The largest pyramid, AND THE LARGEST MONUMENT EVER CONSTRUCTED, is the Quetzalcóatl Pyramid at Cholula de Rivadavia."

In other words the largest monument ever constructed is a pyramid--- this particular pyramid.

Show me Guinness World Record's Weblink as I have been showing. Not Facebook

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 9:50pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

That's the best example to illustrate your dumbness as your skull is too thick.

Oke-Ora is Yoruba for Ora-Hills.

It was always there. Oduduwa didn't (as you will say) "bring it" from your imagined Mecca.

You obviously hear strange voices.

I still say u are a fool and dumb.
Yoruba say oduduwa came from a town called Oke Ora.. Ora hills is not name of a town.
Well as usual you Yorubas are full of contradictions and make believe history.

Benin history is certain; we ruled over Yoruba for hundreds of years.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

Idiot Benin walls are the largest man made structures/earthworks in the world.
Ur jealousy and congeal has indeed blinded u.
You could have shown your source just like I showed mine.

You mentioned Guinness World Records, and I showed you all Guinness World Records.

So, Show me Guiness World Record not some Facebook or some unreferenced audio write-up like the brother Uchebuaku's that we've seen earlier.

Guiness World Record ko, Stout World Record ni.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Again, see Guinness World Record here showing that the largest monument ever constructed is a pyramid

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by naxclimpsey(m): 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Nigeria is not one please.

One Nigeria is a crime against humanity.

Kindly lead your secession, let see how far you can go
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 9:55pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

Yoruba say oduduwa came from a town called Oke Ora.. Ora hills is not name of a town.

Benin city was in the league of the first cities to have a likeness of street lighting with large metal lamps, a large number of feet high, built and placed around the city
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 9:56pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

is Abeokuta not a town. It translates to in English roughly under a rock. Oke-Ora is in east of ife and it got his name cuz of the hills there. Get it just like Abeokuta got its name cuz of the rock.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:56pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]I still say u are a fool and dumb.
Benin history is certain; we ruled over Yoruba for hundreds of years.[/s]

It is the name of a hilly settlement in Ife.

You can know nothing, because YOUR SKULL is TOO THICK. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 9:57pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

Even if you spin it and argue from now till tomorrow, it's still larger than anything ever built in Africa let alone your little enclave.
my man. Are pyramids not man made or do u think they appeared out of nowhere
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 9:58pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

I knew your English deficiency will show! grin grin grin grin

Its says "The largest pyramid, AND THE LARGEST MONUMENT EVER CONSTRUCTED, is the Quetzalcóatl Pyramid at Cholula de Rivadavia."

In other words the largest monument ever constructed is a pyramid--- this particular pyramid.

Show me Guinness World Record's Weblink as I have been showing. Not Facebook

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 9:58pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

just like Abeokuta cuz of the rock.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 9:59pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

See yourself always opening Yoruba yansh.
Yes just like you Yorubas we have myths that says ogiso descended from the sky.. but unlike u we don’t say Ogiso is the father of Edo race, or our ogiso was a coup plotter or call a small village without an army (Ife) an empire.
And unlike u, our history is very rich with details unlike urs that is shrouded in darkness and obscurity.

Oduduwa is the father of the Yorubas TO YOU means that he gave birth to his own Yoruba parents and the Yoruba people he lived with ?? ?? ?? shocked shocked shocked

I talk am say the skull thick die. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 9:59pm On Apr 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:
my man. Are pyramids not man made or do u think they appeared out of nowhere

Have you watch the attached link. If you haven't then watch the video and come back with your question.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:00pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Every reference u made was a myth. U have not mentioned one real practical history in ur argument because it doesn’t favour ur argument.[/s]

Screenshot one which I used which is myth.

Your thick skull obviously encloses a vacuum. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

Have you watch the attached link. If you haven't then watch the video and come back with your question.

typical someone quoting an actual source Guinness world record which is very credible and someone else trying to use Facebook as a counter. That’s nairaland for u.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:03pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

Oga go and sit down. The largest monument ever constructed is a pyramid. It doesn't say one of the largest. It says the largest monument.

You think everyone is a fool like you?? grin grin grin grin grin

You brought up Guinness World Records, so show me Guinness World Record's Weblink as I have been showing. Not Facebook.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 10:03pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

U are now saying Oke Ora is located in Ife abi.. I thought it was a town outside Ife.
Lemme ask moneywoman who knows more than you.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:05pm On Apr 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:
typical someone quoting and actual source Guinness world record which is very credible and someone else trying to use Facebook as a counter. That’s nairaland for u.

I tire oo.

And he brought up the Guiness World record thingy oo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Who cursed Bini liars?? ?? ?? ?? ??

This question must be answered or else I am not leaving here.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 12, 2020
naxclimpsey:

Kindly lead your secession, let see how far you can go

Are you going to block me?

Have you not asked yourself why forced marriages doesn't work and full of misfortunes?

Have you?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:07pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]U are now saying Oke Ora is located in Ife abi.. I thought it was a town outside Ife.
Lemme ask moneywoman who knows more than you.[/s]

You should consider yourself fortunate that I am even replying you.

Why not channel this your energy into finding your roots.

You already confided in me that you Edos have no roots that you know of. grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by naxclimpsey(m): 10:09pm On Apr 12, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Are you going to block me?

Have you not asked yourself why forced marriages doesn't work and full of misfortunes?

Have you?

I am not going to block you as I know everything is just normal chest beating. Back to your second question; have you asked yourself why catalans can't make it out of Spain, have you asked yourself why Georgia is still under Russia, why Scotland is battling with same thing and no success in sight and many more nations? Better stick to one Nigeria and avoid another spill of bloods, which I don't pray for. Don't endanger lives of other for what is not sure yet. Shalom bro
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:
where did u read oke-Ora wasn’t in existence then. There are hills in oke-ota yes.
Read this https://www.informationng.com/2015/11/new-ooni-of-ife-presented-with-the-aare-crown-worn-once-a-year.html

In a 1969 report of a preliminary archaeological survey of Ife, Paul Ozanne noted that evidence shows that many settlements have been established in the Ife country by at least the 4th century BC.

He pointed out that the Ife area lies in a high bowl (namely, the "Ife bowl" ) surrounded by hills which form a watershed for many streams flowing out through gaps between the hills. And that into this "bowl" the earliest settlers came in some unknown antiquity.

Paul Ozanne: "A Preliminary Report of an Archaeological Survey of Ife"; also "A New Archaeological Survey of Ife," Odu, new series, 1, 1969, pp.131-148.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 10:15pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

I tire oo.

And he brought up the Guiness World record thingy oo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Who cursed Bini liars?? ?? ?? ?? ??

This question must be answered or else I am not leaving here.
I hail oo. U dey deal with people here dangerously oo
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 10:17pm On Apr 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:
typical someone quoting and actual source Guinness world record which is very credible and someone else trying to use Facebook as a counter. That’s nairaland for u.

I see u have gone the way of ur useless Yoruba bobrisky TAO11..

Anyways The Guinness Book of Records (1974 edition) described the walls of Benin City and its surrounding kingdom as the world’s largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era. According to estimates by the New Scientist’s Fred Pearce, Benin City’s walls were at one point “four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops”.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:

Those you watched on the video were quoting from Ayelala.

I don't know when you joined this thread and topic.

If you had cared to read a few pages back, you would have seen were a severally repeated that I don't post for the Yorubas but other tribes.

So your argument makes no difference to me.

My submissions and replies are not for Yoruba audience buy the benefits of other tribes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (52) (Reply)

Chinese Men's Marriages To African Women Causes Controversy In China / Names Of God In Yoruba Language (with English Subtitles) / Any Ijaw Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.