Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

A Christian Husband Like Christ - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Christian Husband Like Christ (3490 Views)

Every Woman Needs A Husband Like This (photo) / My Fellow Married Women And Mothers, How Do You Deal With A Husband Like Mine? / ‘I Control My Husband Like A Child’ – Stephanie Benson (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 11:16pm On Mar 29, 2020
Disclaimer: This thread is based on Christian principles.

Happy Quarantine everyone

Hope those staying at home are not bored?

Now to the gist of the thread:

This thread is basically juxtaposing a Christian Husband with Jesus Christ. The idea dropped from the threads about disadvantages of no-sex courtship and 'I don't want to re-incarnate as a Nigerian woman'. Some other thoughts dropped while listening to 'In Christ Alone' by Travis Cottrel although there are several versions.

The Bible compares the marriage between Christ and the Church (all believers) with a husband and wife. Ephesians 5: 31 - 32. Full reading Eph 5:21-33
31 As the Scriptures say, “A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.”[c]
32 This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one.

Hence my comparing a husband to Jesus Christ. Now, I know a husband is human so cannot be perfect and is working towards perfection. Also, since it is an illustration of Christ's relationship with the Church, it would not completely be same. For instance, wives do not pray in their husband's name nor can the husband save his wife.

Please note that Christians, when I talk imperfection, we are not talking adultery or abuse here. I will be picking some of Christ's characteristics that a Christian husband should emulate:

1. His love: The Bible is filled with stories and instances of God's love John 3:16. The new testament tells us of the love of Christ who left His glory in heaven, came in form of man to save mankind he created. Eph 3:17-19. John 15:9-10. He also corrects us to be the best version of ourselves in love.1 Cor 13:1-13 is also a fantastic read.

2. His goodness, mercy and compassion: Everywhere Jesus went, He was know for doing good. His presence signaled relief, lifting of burdens, forgiveness of sins, restoration, redemption etc. etc. Acts 10:38; Matthew 14:14; Matthew 9:36. His Mercy is seen in the story of the adulterous woman; John 8:1-11. He had mercy on the thief beside Him.

3. His thoughtfulness: His prayer in the whole John 17 for His disciples and Christians worldwide; Him sending us the Holy Spirit who functions as teacher, encourager, comforter and empowerer. Him feeding the multitude who came to listen on several occasions. Even at the cross, while dying and facing separation from His Heavenly father, He still remembered to commit His earthly mother into a disciples' hands: John 19:26-27

4. His forgiveness: In addition to His love, the Bible tells us about Jesus Christ forgiving our sins Colossians 2:14; John 1:12; 1st John 1:8

5. His leadership: He was a servant-leader/Shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep. We are called Christians because we follow his example back to back. As a leader, He did not lord it over us, rather doing everything for our benefit. John 13:12-17; Matthew 20:22-28; Philippians 2:3; 1st Pet 5:1-4 etc.

6. His sacrifice: Philippians 2: 5-11 summarizes His ultimate sacrifice. He accepted to be separated from God the Father for a while to die for us despite the cost Matthew 26:39. During His crucifixion, He carried the sins of the world as no human/animal sacrifice can fully pay for our sins hence separated (forsaken) by God who is Holy and cannot behold sin Luke 15:34; Isaiah 59:1-2; 1st Peter 2: 21-24; 1st John 2:2. Why did He risk all that? Because without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins. Hebrews 9:22.

7. His ownership & authority: Everywhere in the Bible we are reminded that we are the possession of Christ bought by His precious blood; the highest bride price anyone has paid for a bride. Yet the sound of ownership by Christ gives us peace, joy, love, hope, eternal assurance of glory etc. Through that ownership, we are joint heirs with Him, assured of Heaven, assured of seeing God Eph 1: 1-14. He gave us the Holy Spirit to identify us, he is not ashamed of us. Everywhere the authority of Christ is mentioned, it is for the benefit of we Christians. At no point did Christ ever use the fact that He is the head or 'paid bride-price' to 'bully' or 'disrespect' the Church. Infact, the hope and confidence of Christians is based on the fact that Christ is creator John 1:1-5 and Lord of everything for our benefit. Eph 1:22-23. Every title He has/gave himself was for our benefit: Bread of life, Prince of Peace, the Resurrection and life, the Living Water etc.

8. His intimacy: He tells us in John 15:1-5 that He is the vine and we are branches and He tells us to abide in him as He abides in us. He also shared everything He knew about God the Father John 15: 14-15. We do not know the date of His second coming ONLY because He did not know as man Mark 13:32, He however told us several signs Matthew 24 and warned us to keeping watching till then. As Christians, we never doubt our place in Jesus or His love/intentions for us because He tells us all the time. The whole of Romans 8. John chapters 14 through 17 is a very good read.

9. His empowerment: Jesus Christ wants us to do greater things than He he did and sent us the Holy Spirit to achieve that. John 14:12. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2nd Timothy 1:7; He empowers to do everything (godly) Philippians 4:13

10. His emotions: He was in tune with His emotions and allowed them flow. He cried when Lazarus died and saw how people were sad even though He could and would raise Him up cool. John 11:33-44; Because Jerusalem rejected salvation Luke 13:34; When He prayed to God for deliverance from death before His time Hebrews 5:7. He expressed deep anger when the temple people started buying and selling Matthew 21:12-13. He has felt the same thing we have so can empathize with us. Hebrews 4:14-16

11. His provision: He gave us salvation through His blood, riches through His poverty 2nd Cor 8:9; Power and Comfort through the Holy Spirit Acts 1:4,7-8; will supply all that we need according to his riches in glory Philippians 4:19 etc.

12. His prayerfulness: He was a man of prayer who prayed without ceasing Luke 18:1, led his disciples in prayer, taught them how to pray, prayed for them and all believers after them John 17. He always prayed before undertaking a project and always grateful to God.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 11:18pm On Mar 29, 2020
In Christ Alone:
In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone, Who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save.
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied;
For ev’ry sin on Him was laid—
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain;
Then bursting forth in glorious day,
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death—
This is the pow’r of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No pow’r of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home—
Here in the pow’r of Christ I’ll stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjR_A2pGPrY

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 11:20pm On Mar 29, 2020
Whew! More than 4hrs working on this + In Christ Alone on repeat.

Thank you Jesus.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
If Nigerian husbands can do half of these things you have outlined, their wives will submit 98%.
btw, did you include faithfulness?

4 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 12:00am On Mar 30, 2020
doublegoldcrown:
If Nigerian husbands can do half of these things you have outlined, their wives will submit 98%.
btw, did you include faithfulness?

grin

@Faithfulness: Anyone who reads it well will understand it is expected.

Aim for Christian husbands instead.
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 30, 2020
bukatyne:

grin

Of course, Christian husbands who are willing to imitate Christ Himself.

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 12:03am On Mar 30, 2020
doublegoldcrown:

Of course, Christian husbands who are willing to imitate Christ Himself.

Gbam! smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Pavore9: 1:49am On Mar 30, 2020
Insightful.

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 3:45am On Mar 30, 2020
Nice read, kudos op.
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by LewsTherin: 5:14am On Mar 30, 2020
I wonder how many more treatises you will write before this pandemic is over grin

2 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by YourCoffin: 7:08am On Mar 30, 2020
What of punishment?
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by faithfull18(f): 8:02am On Mar 30, 2020
bukatyne:

grin

Most women's prayer though. A Christian husband not just in words but in deeds.

7 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 7:51am On Mar 31, 2020
Thanks peeps for keeping the tread going and happy lock down sad embarassed tongue grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 7:52am On Mar 31, 2020
Pavore9:
Insightful.

Thank you very much.

Willing to share the particulars that struck you?
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 7:53am On Mar 31, 2020
solite3:
Nice read, kudos op.

Thank you.

What is your favorite take away?
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 7:55am On Mar 31, 2020
LewsTherin:
I wonder how many more treatises you will write before this pandemic is over grin

tongue

This is still one after two months na.

Who knows?

100? 1? 1000?

What is your take on this one
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 31, 2020
Rank speculation. JC was never a husband. No telling how he would have been as one.
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 7:57am On Mar 31, 2020
RisenPhoenix:
Rank speculation. JC was never a husband. No telling how he would have been as one.

Frank you mean?

Christ is the husband/head of the Church which a Christian marriage is founded on.

2 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Ranchhoddas: 7:58am On Mar 31, 2020
The husband go dey perform miracles? grin

2 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 8:02am On Mar 31, 2020
YourCoffin:
What of punishment?

Jesus Christ is coming with His reward at His second coming.

Expect a husband is re-incarnating or has the ability to judge his wife, how does this apply?

And don't confuse punishment for an action with consequence of it.

That is not to say a husband (and wife) cannot express their displeasure of an action/inaction and respond/react to it.

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 8:03am On Mar 31, 2020
Ranchhoddas:
The husband go dey perform miracles? grin

Hence my comparing a husband to Jesus Christ. Now, I know a husband is human so cannot be perfect and is working towards perfection. Also, since it is an illustration of Christ's relationship with the Church, it would not completely be same. For instance, wives do not pray in their husband's name nor can the husband save his wife.

The above is an extract from my OP (opening post).
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 8:04am On Mar 31, 2020
bukatyne:

Frank you mean?

No. 'Rank'; meaning unjustified, unwarranted.

bukatyne:

Christ is the husband/head of the Church which a Christian marriage is founded on.

That assumption is not relevant to predicting what his behaviour would have been if he had been actually married to a physical real life woman. Even his vaunted patience would have been sorely tested. He was probably an Essene; they were notoriously anti-female.
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 8:04am On Mar 31, 2020
faithfull18:

Most women's prayer though. A Christian husband not just in words but in deeds.

That's why a woman has to look well ma'am and ensure is a Christian in deeds also.

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bdchange(m): 8:08am On Mar 31, 2020
bukatyne:

Frank you mean?

I don't know if it is easy to possess all those attributes you listed in this insane society where everything is out to frustrate your existence. It is easier to read the bible and pour it out like this but being practical of it comes the giant walk.

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 31, 2020
Very wrong comparison that Christians normally make and unrealistic.
When husbands fail to reach up to half of the points mentioned, wives will be utterly frustrated and this breeds resentments afterall the men should be like Jesus.
(It's like the proverbial virtuous woman that men hold onto or women submissivess churches preach.)

Jesus never married.
Just like saying reverend fathers are the best marriage counsellors.
How can they when they don't marry.

In marriage, u don't look up to anybody cos u will fail.
Everybody has his or her own uniqueness horned by his or her environment or nature. No written rules. Don't set standard rather encourage the best traits u see in your spouse. Marriage work best when u dont set standards.
Go and make research.
When u set standards for human, that's when they fail most or if they should ever aspire to meet such standards, it will.be forced and not from the heart. E.g. parents and children.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bdchange(m): 8:12am On Mar 31, 2020
bukatyne:

That's why a woman has to look well ma'am and ensure is a Christian in deeds also.
And most Christians are wolves in sheep clothing's. At least the ones who practice it here in Naija.

2 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bdchange(m): 8:18am On Mar 31, 2020
sassysure:
Very wrong comparison that Christians normally make and unrealistic.
When husbands fail to reach up to half of the points mentioned, wives will be utterly frustrated and this breeds resentments afterall the men should be like Jesus.
(It's like the proverbial virtuous woman that men hold onto or women submissivess churches preach.)

Jesus never married.
Just like saying reverend fathers are the best marriage counsellors.
How can they when they don't marry.

In marriage, u don't look up to anybody cos u will fail.
Everybody has his or her own uniqueness horned by his or her environment or nature. No written rules. Don't set standard rather encourage the best traits u see in your spouse. Marriage work best when u dont set standards.
Go and make research.
When u set standards for human, that's when they fail most or if they should ever aspire to meet such standards, it will.be forced and not from the heart. E.g. parents and children.
Yes Jesus never married yet he set a standard that will last forever only when practice intently. In Eph 5 where He admonishes wives to submit and husbands to love and respect, have you found any couple with total obedience to this words go wrong in their marriage??

6 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 8:22am On Mar 31, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

1. No. 'Rank'; meaning unjustified, unwarranted.

2. That assumption is not relevant to predicting what his behaviour would have been if he had been actually married to a physical real life woman. Even his vaunted patience would have been sorely tested.

3. He was probably an Essene; they were notoriously anti-female.

1. Learnt something new, thanks. Let me practice it back on you tongue

2. The Church is made up of real life humans and unlike husbands, He knows the motives, thought processes and behaviour of humans. There is no seeing humans at their worst than that. So it a rank assumption that it would be any different or husbands can't meet up to this to a large extent.

3. How could Jesus be an Essene when He raised Lazarus and other people from the dead? Was every active in publicly? Jesus anti-female? Absolutely not!

1 Like

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by LewsTherin: 8:35am On Mar 31, 2020
bukatyne:

tongue

This is still one after two months na.

Who knows?

100? 1? 1000?

What is your take on this one

Well, the lockdown is just beginning so you have oodles of time on your hands!

My opinion? Well I am a Christian and I do take my faith seriously so I agree with it.

T D Jakes said while woves are expected to submit to their husbands, husbands are expected, like Christ, to sacrifice themselves for their wives.

A husband's leadership of his family is not a master-slave relationship that many people like describing it as.
My analogy for the headship of a husband is of a ship's captain.

There cannot be 2 captains on the same boat. That boat will go nowhere.
The destination of a ship is not always the decision of the captain but it is the responsibility of the captain to get that boat to the destination agreed on.
If any crew member or members choose to disregard the instructions of the captain on the operations of the ship, chaos results. The ship becomes a mess. The boat may never reach its destination. Heck there are many more chances for the ship to hit an iceberg and sink.
If the captain fails to take into consideration the views of his crew, failures mount up and mutiny may be the result to the detriment of all on board. Both captain and crew.

And finally and most importantly, the captain always goes down with his ship.

3 Likes

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 31, 2020
bukatyne:

1. Learnt something new, thanks. Let me practice it back on you tongue

2. The Church is made up of real life humans and unlike husbands, He knows the motives, thought processes and behaviour of humans. There is no seeing humans at their worst than that. So it a rank assumption that it would be any different or husbands can't meet up to this to a large extent.

3. How could Jesus be an Essene when He raised Lazarus and other people from the dead? Was every active in publicly? Jesus anti-female? Absolutely not!

Going into these details will involve issues of faith which I don't subscribe to but you obviously do. I will not debate those with you. I don't like arguing theology. Let us part with a foot shake this time (social distancing and all).
Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 31, 2020
bdchange:

Yes Jesus never married yet he set a standard that will last forever only when practice intently. In Eph 5 where He admonishes wives to submit and husbands to love and respect, have you found any couple with total obedience to this words go wrong in their marriage??
Still wrong comparison.
The day Christians will start seeing things realistically instead of fantasizing about things they can't achieve but pretend they do,maybe, we will start having better family system.

U know, men loves the total submission thing.
Women don't like it. Forget the pretence.
That is the most important verse in the bible as far as Nigerian man who is a Christian is concerned. Remove that and they will lose interest in church grin
And because women want to go to heaven, they stomach it and abide by it even when it's killing them inside grin
U see the various marital squabbles we see everyday from beating househelp, fighting in-laws etc all are by --products of biblical submission.
Refer to what I wrote in the beginning if u want to have good marriage. A marriage where one member feel stifled due to religious obligation is not marriage.

The Nigerian society is an extension of the family.
So far, so bad. That tells you we got it all wrong from the beginning.
U stifle the woman, woman stifle the child and this goes on and on and the product is an unbalanced society.
Has it paid off well for us as a country and society?
When u look at Nigeria as an entity, u get a failed nation showing we have failed family system and that means that some archaic laws we follow and believe in that are not meant for this century don't work for us. The biblical submission law is archaic. Isreal don't even practice that but yeah, we believe we know the bible more than them especially the old testament.
Let's accept the truth.

The developed nations were like us at a point. But they had to tell themselves the truth.
U don't stifle your women and expect the outcome to be glamourous.
Women maintain the emotional stability of men and families naturally. When she isnt free to do it naturally, u get what we presently have.

U guys should continue with laws from the bible and let the society keep rotting away.

At the end of the day we will still depend on those who don't obey such to breath.
Your choice, their gain grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Christian Husband Like Christ by bukatyne(f): 9:08am On Mar 31, 2020
bdchange:

I don't know if it is easy to possess all those attributes you listed in this insane society where everything is out to frustrate your existence. It is easier to read the bible and pour it out like this but being practical of it comes the giant walk.

I agree that practical Christianity is a giant walk which is why we need the Holy Spirit.

Every an and woman must also be determined with a 'I can be this' attitude.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Women Wish For A Male Child Whilst Pregnant / Please Help Me My Marriage Is In Danger / Husband Throws Out Family Including A 10-month Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.