Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Mechanic Roundtable - Car Talk (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mechanic Roundtable (73124 Views)

Fakuade, Taiwo Ojo, Others To Speak On Ekiti Knowledge Zone At Efa Roundtable / Mechanic Roundtable Talk For Master Brake & ABS / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2021
chidekings:

please how can this be rectified

Change the switch and you are good
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by chidekings(m): 2:43pm On Jan 07, 2021
Blackbishop:

Change the switch and you are good
Mine won't start at first time,but will at second try,if I hold on to the key on the first start,it will start
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 4:51pm On Jan 07, 2021
chidekings:

Mine won't start at first time,but will at second try,if I hold on to the key on the first start,it will start

Like I said change the switch or run proper diagnosis first?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Kizito55: 9:57pm On Jan 07, 2021
How much for a Toyota yaris 2009 A.C compressor?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:13pm On Jan 07, 2021
Kizito55:
How much for a Toyota yaris 2009 A.C compressor?

Sorry no idea
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:22pm On Jan 10, 2021
Transmission

The tranny issues are quite time consuming and stressful until you have gotten to the root.

I have to work on a CRV tranny of recent and while diagnosing it came up with just one issue, it doesn't engage in reverse and on the scanner there was a shift malfunction error code.

The tranny was brought down and dismantle to change the fibre and the switches on the tranny and finally the reverse was working perfectly after the rewire went as far to check some wiring issues.

The easiest way with a tranny issues are with the Valve body for toyota and honda is quite complex with the valve on it.

The shift Malfunction deals with the two Solenoid or switches placed on the tranny *Image below*.

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by KessRichie: 9:11pm On Jan 10, 2021
This is very informative my engineer
Keep it up

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Kodus: 4:19pm On Jan 11, 2021
First off... I know this might not have much to do with the topic on ground but.. I would like to share here; my experience... I have a 2009 outlander and since I got it I experienced a hesitant movement when riding slow motion... I searched for answers until I came across The page and he posted about sensors... Long story short he offered to help. While this was on I contacted Mitsubishi and they told me it would cost 218k to purchase and fix...but Mr Ayodele mentioned it would cost 35k and have it shipped to me on a date... 1week to the date it arrived and I fixed and all is okay.... I just want to give him a very good rating on the following

Customer service: 10/10
Trustworthy: 10/10

I might not know much of him in person but I speak based on my experience. Thanks Mr Ago...well done.

6 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:42am On Jan 14, 2021
https://b-automobile./

Our website is live and running
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:12am On Jan 16, 2021
https://bautomobileng./2021/01/16/carbon-fouling/

Visit our website to learn more.

*B-Automobile Nigeria Limited*

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 3:15pm On Jan 17, 2021
Car Overheating Issue
I have a 2006 Toyota Camry with an overheating issue that the owner can’t solve. It started overheating 3 days ago, He drove it home and he started hearing a weird noise under the hood and almost like the car was revving on its own. That day was the 1st day it overheated. Smoke coming from radiator reservoir and somewhere in the engine near the middle of the serpentine belt area. The next morning he turned it on, it turns on rough as hell and has a check engine light that reads P0300 and P0117. First thing he did was to replace that ECT sensor but not sure if it did anything because he followed an online forum process without understanding the intricacies of a car cooling system. That doesn’t solve his problem, still overheats. Next he drained the coolant and refilled it with new coolant but when he open the reservoir for the 1st time he notice that the cap has white wet sludge on it and the tank is covered with it too, he still went ahead and put on new coolant. Continues the overheating. He replaced the thermostat, bled it and topped it off with more coolant. This time around the car is leaking coolant from underneath. Starts to sound normal but when he goes for a drive it it still continues the overheat with smoke still coming from the reservoir. He has no clue what it is. Not sure if the fans are working. But thought it’s a bad water pump? But could it also could be a blown head gasket maybe?

SOLUTION

I was called to run a comprehensive diagnosis on the said car and those codes pop up, P0300 & P0117, with further investigation and from narration of the owner.

P0300 – Toyota Camry – Random Cylinder Misfire

P0117 – Toyota Camry – Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input

There are couple of other things that was checked and I move to start correcting each issue individually to eliminate issues of overheating. First off was the Multiple Cylinder misfire, checking the plugs and Coils was kind of faulty in the sense of the coil melting with the plugs partially. Then went ahead to check the nozzle which was ok but I perform a normal servicing.

The plugs and coils was replaced. Also the ECT sensor was replaced also and the radiator was just condemned due to multiple point of leakage. And it was replaced with a new one. From this point the car cooling system was bled and still went on to overheat it was at this point I concluded changing the Gasket to help both the owner and I from back and forth issues.

After the change of gasket the Oil Control valve too was replaced to eliminate the P0300 code. The car came up smoothly and the overheating issue was resolved totally

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:50am On Jan 19, 2021
Car Stuttering

Car stuttering/Juddering is an acceleration problem and is usually the result of insufficient fuel, air, or spark during the combustion process.

An example is a Toyota Corolla I was called to diagnose, matching the gas pedal to the floor will not get the RPM more than 2000RPM. After running scan the Ignition Coil A was the code that came up, i replace the coil and plugs the car still won’t accelerate.

At this point I have to remove the nozzle and Throttle body to perform servicing also the fuel pump, in the process I discover some coil cables were loose and causing a spark that was so tiny to notice, that was when i went into action to correct most of the wiring issues and service the parts that were removed earlier and after fixing the car came back to live and was even better now when driving.

Worn-out spark plugs or the electrical cables attached to them are one of the most common causes of cars stuttering. A deficient spark plug causes the engine to misfire, making your car jerk when you accelerate.

Also the plugs and coil are one major player in car Stuttering. Always check and replace if you see any issue.

The engine may also be much noisier than it normally is, sounding more like an aeroplane taking off than a car.

Another Reason

A clogged catalytic converter is another reason why a car jerks while accelerating, as a blockage can disrupt the exhaust system’s airflow.

When you press down on the accelerator pedal, you may notice a delay in your car’s response, followed by a sudden jerk or lurch forward. There may also be a rotten egg smell.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:49am On Jan 22, 2021
P0010: “A” Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
The air intake valve and exhaust valve must be opened and closed at precisely the right times. The variable valve timing system is responsible for managing these two valves. When they’re opened and closed properly, it will enhance the engine performance and fuel economy of the vehicle.

The powertrain control module uses variable valve timing control valves to adjust the camshaft. When the powertrain control module tries to adjust the timing of Bank 1 Intake Camshaft, and an electrical problem is detected in the valve or the circuit leading to the valve, then trouble code P0010 is activated.

The symptoms of trouble code P0010 will include a

reduced fuel economy,

rough engine idling,

engine knocking sound,

Check Engine warning light coming on,

increased RPM,

and weak engine performance.

All these symptoms have a moderate level of severity, so you should take them seriously. After all, do you really want to drive around with poor fuel economy and weak engine power?

Some of the causes of trouble code P0010 may include

damaged wiring,

bad camshaft position sensor,

bad crankshaft position sensor,

engine oil sludge,

bad variable valve timing control solenoid valves,

and engine timing operations are off.

You won’t know the exact cause of the problem until you have a professional mechanic inspect your vehicle personally.

A lot of amateur mechanics make the mistake of misdiagnosing the problem by thinking they need to replace the actuator. Sometimes it helps to clean debris off the actuator first because that may solve the problem immediately. If it does not, then inspect the electrical circuit to see if that’s the problem.

You can get away with driving your vehicle while trouble code P0010 remains present. Just expect to stop at the gas station more frequently because your engine will consume more fuel and produce less power. You may also have increased emissions, which means you won’t pass an emissions test.

Therefore, why tolerate all these problems when you can simply have a mechanic replace whichever component is causing them. It will be cheaper in the long run if you resolve the problem sooner rather than later.

Comprehensive maintenance is cheaper and far better than a corrective measures
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by champol: 7:34am On Jan 24, 2021
Please help me with solution to my Hyundai sonata 2004 car. I gave my car to a mechanic to do service and maintenance but my car doesn't start again. Before I gave him, If the car doesn't start, I used to touch the fuse box because if I enter pot holes, it will make the fuse to lose contact. If this is done, the car will start normal. I discussed this with the mechanic. The mechanic said the fuel pump components including the fuel filter is bad and he changed it. He also said that he changed all the plugs. He has been battling with my car for about 2 weeks now. Please assist. Thanks
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:44am On Jan 24, 2021
champol:
Please help me with solution to my Hyundai sonata 2004 car. I gave my car to a mechanic to do service and maintenance but my car doesn't start again. Before I gave him, If the car doesn't start, I used to touch the fuse box because if I enter pot holes, it will make the fuse to lose contact. If this is done, the car will start normal. I discussed this with the mechanic. The mechanic said the fuel pump components including the fuel filter is bad and he changed it. He also said that he changed all the plugs. He has been battling with my car for about 2 weeks now. Please assist. Thanks

When it comes to fuse box I will ask you to get a rewire a trusted one for that to check the wires going into the fuse box, prolly one is making partial contact. I hope and pray it has not affected the brain box
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kyinusa: 1:16pm On Jan 24, 2021
Pls brothers, what is d cost of Hyundai county 2009 engine
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 5:06pm On Jan 24, 2021
kyinusa:
Pls brothers, what is d cost of Hyundai county 2009 engine

Actually have no idea.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2021
How to Pick your car Oil
I had the uphill task on educating most car users on the variance and thoughtfulness they need to put into the oil they feed the cars, they drive for optimal performance. The task of picking the right engine oil for a vehicle becomes quite challenging given the huge number of options available in the market. To make the task all the more difficult there is a ton of information available all around. However, the easiest and very first step is to check the owner’s manual. Every vehicle comes with an owner manual that contains all the necessary specifications for choosing the right engine oil. Besides, it specifies the suitable oil weight like 10W-30 or other variations. Here the number describes oil viscosity that is appropriate for the vehicle.

Then in some cars they don’t come with manuals, like used cars or some sorts, the oil specific are labelled on the dio stick or oil cover.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Joy83(m): 3:31am On Jan 28, 2021
@Blackbishop, please what does this sign mean and how do I get rid of it on my car. The car is corolla.

Thank you!

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:30pm On Jan 28, 2021
Joy83:
@Blackbishop, please what does this sign mean and how do I get rid of it on my car. The car is corolla.

Thank you!

Sorry for getting back late, I have been busy with work stuff.

That is your Airbag indicator. Scan to know what you are dealing with
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Joy83(m): 11:05am On Jan 29, 2021
Blackbishop:

Sorry for getting back late, I have been busy with work stuff.

That is your Airbag indicator. Scan to know what you are dealing with

Thank you.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by bharseeth(m): 10:03pm On Jan 31, 2021
What are the steps to revert cooling system back to default (Kazeem has removed thermostat and fans running direct).
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:07am On Feb 01, 2021
Multiple Fuel Related Issues

I got a Camry 2007 with a complain of starting in a sluggish manner, consume more gas, multiple cylinder misfire and jerks when moving.

I scanned and came up with some codes;

P0172 – System Too Rich Bank 1

P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circiut Range/Performance

P0113 – Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High

P0352, P0353, P0354 – Ignition Coil B,C,D all Circuit issues and P0302 – Cylinder 2 Misfire.

After the Diagnosis we move to corrective measures

SOLUTIONS

First thing I did was to check the Coils and Plugs, after I moved down to the Injector and remove all the noozle which are bad and not spraying sequentially.

After that I remove the MAF sensor and Intake Air Temperature Sensor which are together in this case, apply MAF cleaner and was put back.

Then for the system too rich I have to change the Oxygen Sensor Upstream.

After all was done the car is back to normal.

3 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by TFeminist(f): 7:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
Blackbishop:

Like I said earlier the front goes for 15k
So the back should be between 10k to 12k tokunbo not padded
please, does padded mean 'new'?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:58am On Feb 02, 2021
TFeminist:
please, does padded mean 'new'?

No ma, but refurbished

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:23am On Feb 02, 2021
Morning Cold Start
I had a Pontiac Vibe 2005 with a complain of delay cranking early in the morning and consumes so much fuel. I had it brought down to the workshop and run some diagnosis, which fails to point to anything within the car.

From experience and more dialogue with the owner who after thorough investigation on his part decided to change the fuel Regulator and fuel filter which the picture will be added at the end of this write up.

SOLUTION

I remove the Cold Start Switch which is known as Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ECT for onboard testing and then proceed to remove the Fuel Pump casing which after removal was discovered that the filter was filled with dirt and the fuel regulator too was removed and replaced with a new part.

Even though we have to wait till the next day for a result. Which came back positive at the end. As at now the car comes to live at the first crank

Read more on my page

https://bautomobileng./2021/02/01/multiple-fuel-system-issues/

Don't forget to follow me for more update.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by TFeminist(f): 7:31am On Feb 11, 2021
Blackbishop:

No ma, but refurbished
gracias
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by radautoworks: 5:53pm On Feb 11, 2021
Blackbishop:
Morning Cold Start
I had a Pontiac Vibe 2005 with a complain of delay cranking early in the morning and consumes so much fuel. I had it brought down to the workshop and run some diagnosis, which fails to point to anything within the car.

From experience and more dialogue with the owner who after thorough investigation on his part decided to change the fuel Regulator and fuel filter which the picture will be added at the end of this write up.

SOLUTION

I remove the Cold Start Switch which is known as Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ECT for onboard testing and then proceed to remove the Fuel Pump casing which after removal was discovered that the filter was filled with dirt and the fuel regulator too was removed and replaced with a new part.

Even though we have to wait till the next day for a result. Which came back positive at the end. As at now the car comes to live at the first crank

Read more on my page

https://bautomobileng./2021/02/01/multiple-fuel-system-issues/

Don't forget to follow me for more update.
isn't this the same car one other "guru" was saying we were wrong on?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:19pm On Feb 11, 2021
radautoworks:
isn't this the same car one other "guru" was saying we were wrong on?

Well I don't know but the car was in my workshop and that was what I did and the car is as smooth as silk

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by henryutd(m): 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2021
My toyota corolla 2010 automatic started popping out of transmission during motion. Work was done on it before and it stopped but it has started again. The technicians refused to tell me exactly what he did.

But I noticed the acceleration was not smooth like before after it changes from gear 1 to 2. The gear 2 viberates during motion as if you are using a lower gear.

Presently I can only use it when driving slowly on the street but can't speed up with it.
Any attempt to speed up will disengage the gear though it is on Drive. It will be firing without moving.
Good for street but bad for expressway.

What could be the problem?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2021
henryutd:
My toyota corolla 2010 automatic started popping out of transmission during motion. Work was done on it before and it stopped but it has started again. The technicians refused to tell me exactly what he did.

But I noticed the acceleration was not smooth like before after it changes from gear 1 to 2. The gear 2 viberates during motion as if you are using a lower gear.

Presently I can only use it when driving slowly on the street but can't speed up with it.
Any attempt to speed up will disengage the gear though it is on Drive. It will be firing without moving.
Good for street but bad for expressway.

What could be the problem?

Short answer change the valve body.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by henryutd(m): 9:30pm On Feb 12, 2021
Blackbishop:

Short answer change the valve body.

I was advised to replace the transmission. I hope this works. Because the digits scare me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply)

Guys Buy Car For Their Friend After Getting Tired Of Picking Him Up With Theirs / Rolls Royce Owner, Who Lives In A Rented Flat In FESTAC / Nairaland Auto Show- With Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.