Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,941 members, 7,821,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts (68114 Views)

Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother / Fela Kuti's Family Reacts As APC Uses Fela's Songs For Their Campaign / Buhari To Grant Presidential Pardon To Ambrose Alli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by DarkJeddi(m): 8:33pm On Apr 10, 2020
RaptObserver:
Chicken change... But what if he was convicted out of error? His family should sue FG for damages.
Chicken Change?

That money today,would be worth over a Billion Naira.. shocked
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Nadio2019: 8:37pm On Apr 10, 2020
Alli died shortly after release from prison, just like many other southern politicians sent to prison by Buhari junta died.

Today, ever politically and financially corrupt Buhari is acting as the 21st Century Othman Dan Fodio in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Nadio2019: 8:44pm On Apr 10, 2020
Goodness today is there is Ambrose Alli University in his name, not Buhari's pardon.

Alli whose people venerate through naming a University after him does not require any useless pardon from anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by djkirkoo2(m): 9:11pm On Apr 10, 2020
omonnakoda:

It was not chicken change

The official exchange rate valued the Naira more than the dollar.

A bottle of coke was 30 kobo,
A Peugeot 504 was about 12000

The National budget was 10 billion

It was not error but deliberate persecution

He was tried by a military tribunal
nor mind the person wey u quote. Na small pikin him be
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Essential(m): 9:20pm On Apr 10, 2020
blowjohn:

U mean ur father is a goat? Ur a useless fellow for quoting me to insult my father. U will die like a goat becos I never mentioned ur name.
Idiot
Look who is crying if u live in a glass dont throw stone. The guy want turn u and ur papa to goat. Human being wey them change to goat for Benin na motor dey kill am. U and fada don die finish for this one. For ur next life i hope learn to respect other tribes and fear Edo people. U dey remind me of the goat motor kill yesterday for five junction. Na only poor useless papa i dey pit for this matter. The man don die for this one for benin people hand.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Qoko: 9:28pm On Apr 10, 2020
RaptObserver:
Chicken change... But what if he was convicted out of error? His family should sue FG for damages.
Its like you want govt to seize the corpse or put handcuff of the burial ground, there is nothing impossible on this earth.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by emecheboy2(m): 9:28pm On Apr 10, 2020
omonnakoda:

I think Peugeot 504 was in the range 3500 to 4000 depending on model. That 12k too much self.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by blowjohn(m): 9:31pm On Apr 10, 2020
Essential:

Look who is crying if u live in a glass dont throw stone. The guy want turn u and ur papa to goat. Human being wey them change to goat for Benin na motor dey kill am. U and fada don die finish for this one. For ur next life i hope learn to respect other tribes and fear Edo people. U dey remind me of the goat motor kill yesterday for five junction. Na only poor useless papa i dey pit for this matter. The man don die for this one for benin people hand.

Chai. See benin!
Useless!!!!
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by daddytime(m): 9:52pm On Apr 10, 2020
IME1:

Your entire write up almost brought tears to my eyes
So apt
I've so much to say but I don't want to sound judgmental, abusive and uncivilised

Your write up reflects a true Bendelite/Mid-Westerner

Truly you asked
Where are those who lived in that era
Those who benefitted from his regime
Those who know the truth? ??

This shows that on this forum at least there are not many people from Mid-West born between 1974 or even 64 who know the place of Mid-West in the history of the entire Nigeria, who want to speak up with dignity and not the misplaced pride of some other regions and states or tribes...

Sad...
Some even said the region is known for cultism, prostitution and thieves
Hmm what an insult, what lie, what bigotry...

But it's not fitting for me to answer such or indeed any comment cause it will form a thread of itself

Bottomline is that the late Prof Ambrose Ali was a man of integrity and good works. He said he was innocent of the charges and I believe him. He does not need Buhari's pardon but would have given him one if he where to be alive.
As for Igbinedion paying the fine, that's story for another day. God reward his intentions.
For Buhari believing the charges against Ali and turning his eyes against Ganduje those of the other regions especially his side who truly committed crimes and fraud against their states in that 2nd republic (79 - 83) may God judge him.
For those who believe and those who know the truth and deliberately refused to speak out, may their cases be as it was for Ali but with mercy.
For Obaseki who engineered this and now the Ali family would benefit from financial gains acfruing to past governors, may your intention be revealed and rewarded accordingly.
For me, the mercy of God.
For all of us truth and justice

It hurts boss...we leave it all for posterity to judge.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Emmanuelcann: 10:03pm On Apr 10, 2020
Lipscomb:
I wonder why thief always associate with Edo people.
Nairaland? SMH.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by omonnakoda: 10:17pm On Apr 10, 2020
emecheboy2:

I think Peugeot 504 was in the range 3500 to 4000 depending on model. That 12k too much self.
not true

Don't think it it either you know or you don't

Maybe you are talking of Datsun 120 Y
Even though the official exchange rate was high the Black market rate in 1984 was 3to 1 we had started having problems in 1983
That was why we couldn't pay for imports almost immediately Buhari took over
They were rationing soap and toothpaste
505 was close to 18000 grand
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Slimmy0: 10:26pm On Apr 10, 2020
Afrokit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/he-was-never-guilty-ambrose-allis-family-reacts-to-presidential-pardon/amp

The people of Edo and Delta state will continue to pray for Proff. Alli. Your Legacy and good work lives on. RIP Sir. He had a very good heart according to my Dad, Mum and Eldest Sister.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by akmath: 10:55pm On Apr 10, 2020
XshegzzyeeiX:
Nah mistake O. I don correct am to female child.
Ok man.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by omonnakoda: 11:03pm On Apr 10, 2020
ican2020:
The same tribal bigot that convicted him falsely, has now pardon him.

Wicked soul
He convicted Fela and Nkem Owoh's brother whom he executed for drugs trafficking with a law enacted after his arrest.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 11:24pm On Apr 10, 2020
omonnakoda:
He was not a thief.

It was just Buhari's bigotry at work
How many of his brothers did he convict?
Guy don't say what you don't know. I love Alli so much he worked very well and didn't even build himself a �, but for real he couldn't account for the nearly a million naira govt fund. His trusted aid and his tribes man cornered the money. Now there was no form of bigotry in the trial. The special military tribunal set up by The Supreme Military council of the Buhari/Idiagbon government set out to jail second republic politicians and directors of govt establishment who saw Nigeria as their fiefdom. The onus was on the accuse to prove he was not guilty of the charges laid against him. This was Prof. Ambrose Folorunsho, Alli greatest undoing. yes money was missing, he didn't appropriate it, but then could account for the over N900,000 which was huge some of money then. He was rightly jailed-- imprisonment caused by his appointees. Now to cure ur mind of bigotry. It was even a Northerner that was given the lengthiest jail term

Sabo Bakin Zuwo - Wikiwand

https://www.wikiwand.com › Sabo_Baki...

In 1985 a Special Military Tribunal sentenced him to 300 years in jail. He died in 1989. Before his death he had aligned with the Peoples 

Had IBB allowed that corrective regime more time, you and I won't be shouting corruption today. Babangida overthrew that regime to the joy of ignorant Nigerians, freed all jailed looters and institutionalise corruption.

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by omohlexy: 11:35pm On Apr 10, 2020
As a medical Prof he was supposed to be saving lives but greed no gree am. He still dabbled into politics. Imagine how he ended up. Such a material! Maybe our health institution would have been world class by now if he had featured in his trained profession. What's up with doctors and politics sef? Igige,odili,okowa,saraki,uduaghan etc. No wonder we have now resorted to importing coronally infested Chinese doctors.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 11:38pm On Apr 10, 2020
omonnakoda:

oga it was not a deliberate persecution. stop misinforming people. That was the most encompassing corruption fight ever carried out in Nigeria even though it has it shortcomings. Prof. Ambrose Folorunsho Alli, a man of impeccable character and diligence, able administrator and achiever never built a house for himself. He went about industrializing the then Bendel state, an Apostle of free Education. Yet he has a weakness-trusting absolutely on his appointees. This became his albatross. He couldn't account for over N900,000 which unknown to him was embezzled by his aides. The Supreme Military council rightly convicted him and sentenced him to 100 years, it was harsh judging from how forthright Alli was. But you can't blame the Buhari/Idiagbon led junta which aimed at riding Nigeria of corruption. It was even a Northerner that was given the lengthiest jail term for misappropriation of about N3.5m naira. Sabo Bakin Zuwo - Wikiwand

In 1985 a Special Military Tribunal sentenced him to 300 years in jail. He died in 1989. Before his death he had aligned with the Peoples 

If the evil genius IBB hadn't struck which Nigerians applauded then and institutionalise corruption, Nigeria would hv long passed this stage.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 11:44pm On Apr 10, 2020
AreaFada2:

Alli built a university at Ekpoma his hometown.

With a satellite campus at Abraka that is now
Delta State university. It has educated tens of thousands since.

Oshiomhole built a quasi private university for the elite in his village. Calling it Edo University to bamboozle zombies.

Alli did not build palatial mansions at Ekpoma like Oshiomhole built at Iyamho. Yet some arseholes will tell us the 2nd Republic politicians were more corrupt.

No money was ever found in Allli's account. The most was the allegation that the company doing Ekiadolor to Ovia Road paid UPN some campaign money.

Alli coming from Academia didn't know the corrupt ways of career politicians and civil servants. He fell a victim.

Buhari's ethic bigotry did the rest.
Did Buhari ethnic bigotry also do this? Sabo Bakin Zuwo - Wikiwand

Much as I love Prof. Folorunsho Alli, but he couldn't account for the over N900000 was his greatest undoing. His aides betrayed him.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by omonnakoda: 11:49pm On Apr 10, 2020
undecided
cyrilamx:
oga it was not a deliberate persecution. stop misinforming people. That was the most encompassing corruption fight ever carried out in Nigeria even though it has it shortcomings. Prof. Ambrose Folorunsho Alli, a man of impeccable character and diligence, able administrator and achiever never built a house for himself. He went about industrializing the then Bendel state, an Apostle of free Education. Yet he has a weakness-trusting absolutely on his appointees. This became his albatross. He couldn't account for over N900,000 which unknown to him was embezzled by his aides. The Supreme Military council rightly convicted him and sentenced him to 100 years, it was harsh judging from how forthright Alli was. But you can't blame the Buhari/Idiagbon led junta which aimed at riding Nigeria of corruption. It was even a Northerner that was given the lengthiest jail term for misappropriation of about N3.5m naira. Sabo Bakin Zuwo - Wikiwand

If the evil genius IBB hadn't struck which Nigerians applauded then and institutionalise corruption, Nigeria would hv long passed this stage.
I am sure you were not born at the time . Why did the NBA boycott the TRIBUNAL ,Gani Fawehinmi and many others were arrested. None of those tried had lawyers,they were tried by soldiers and there was no route to appeal
That is not justice by any standard.
We still had courts. Why were they not tried in court

Any arrangement where the accuser is also the judge and the law they were tried with did not exist at the time of the offence is persecution.
This is not stuff I was told or read. I witnessed it
Similar stuff with Fela and Nkem Owoh"s brother whom he executed for drug trafficking even though the offence did not carry the death penalty

The same person who changed the colour of the naira to fight corruption and closed the borders while that was happening but allowed an emir to render the country with 53 suitcases that were not searched was fighting corruption?

Never in the history of Nigeria was there a time soldiers broke people's shops to sell their goods at reduced prices. That was Buhari's idea of fighting corruption
People queued to by soap and detergent that was being rationed.
Buhari used hisvSakamaje trials to cover up for his lack of ideas
Coming up with all kinds of ridiculous sentences including 21 years for exam malpractice

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 11:56pm On Apr 10, 2020
daddytime:
Of all the rogues in the Second Republic, it is ironic and demonic that one of the best and hard-working governors of that Republic-Ambrose Ali was the only one who was imprisoned by this same Buhari, and whose sentence stood until this day.

People of this age and time need to understand that there were National rogues from the North during these times like the Umar Dikkos from North et al.

Isn't it funny that there aren't any Northern names included on this list of old school politicians like the Enahoros and Alis?

A leopard indeed never changes his spots.

Anyone, particularly from the old Bendel State, will tell you how Ambrose Ali was one of the best among his peers of the second republic.

Who could have forgotten the era of " this book is the property of the Bendel State Government- NOT FOR SALE" crested on all school books across all levels.

The funniest yet painful part of all these is that people who benefited hugely from Ali's government abound in this same bigot and lopsided administration, the likes of Ovie Omo Agege and the Minister of State for Labor (Festus Keyamo).

I wonder if people are expected to rejoice at this news.

How an innocent dead man could be granted pardon/amnesty while the truly guilty walked and died innocently/freely still beats my imagination.

Confusion.
But same Buhari is castigated for attempting to abduct Dikko back to Nigeria after his escape. Same Buhari ensured a Northerner got the lengthiest jail term for misappropriation of public funds. Sabo Bakin Zuwo - Wikiwand

Though Prof. Ambrose Folorunsho Alli was a forthright technocrat, he fell into trouble for the deeds of his appointees who misappropriated nearly a million naira and he couldn't account for it. The question now is if Buhari was booted out of power in 1985, why didn't IBB release him immediately like he did other jailed politicians like Nwobodo? Why didn't the various wealthy men in then Bendel state pay that fine to free him? it took the generous nature of the Esama of Benin kingdom to pay that money to ensure his release. they all failed him.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Elly1(m): 11:59pm On Apr 10, 2020
Lipscomb:

Very stupid comment

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 12:00am On Apr 11, 2020
omonnakoda:
undecided
I am sure you were not born at the time . Why did the NBA boycott the TRIBUNAL ,Gani Fawehinmi and many others were arrested. None of those tried had lawyers,they were tried by soldiers and there was no route to appeal
That is not justice by any standard.
We still had courts. Why were they not tried in court

Any arrangement where the accuser is also the judge and the law they were tried with did not exist at the time of the offence is persecution.
This is not stuff I was told or read. I witnessed it
Similar stuff with Fela and Nkem Owoh"s brother whom he executed for drug trafficking even though the offence did not carry the death penalty

The same person who changed the colour of the naira to fight corruption and closed the borders while that was happening but allowed an emir to render the country with 53 suitcases that were not searched was fighting corruption?
oga Gani even supported his government going after the politicians. Has NBA ever had interest of Nigerians at heart save for shouting rule of law? Was it rule of law that develop Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai, helped Ghana fought corruption. or Putting Rwanda now back in track? You see where rule of law has gotten us to.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by omonnakoda: 12:03am On Apr 11, 2020
cyrilamx:
oga Gani even supported his government going after the politicians. Has NBA ever had interest of Nigerians at heart save for shouting rule of law? Was it rule of law that develop Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai, helped Ghana fought corruption. or Putting Rwanda now back in track? You see where rule of law has gotten us to.
Am I supposed to be arguing with you?

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by eliuwas(m): 12:04am On Apr 11, 2020
[quote author=Lipscomb post=88297112]I wonder why thief always associate with Edo people. [/quote You are a fool to say that
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by AreaFada2: 12:18am On Apr 11, 2020
cyrilamx:
Did Buhari ethnic bigotry also do this? Sabo Bakin Zuwo - Wikiwand

Much as I love Prof. Folorunsho Alli, but he couldn't account for the over N900000 was his greatest undoing. His aides betrayed him.

I have written about Barkin Zuwo & and Middle Belt governors Buhari dealt with anyhow. Go back to my posts from years ago.

I am sure you do not know that Zuwo was a Nupe from Niger State. He wasn't Hausa or Fulani. Not even Kanuri. Despite becoming Kano State governor.

What offense did opposition leader Pa Awo commit for his passport to be seized? Or his son's passport just for being publisher of Tribune?

Was late Dr Alex Ekwueme ever found wanting? Freed by the court several times but still detained by Buhari.

Dude, relatives were journalists deeply embedded in this matter back then. Every goat & Chicken expected Buhari's coup. I have written extensively about it here over the years. Including Buhari's time in Jos as GOC, Chief Solomon Lar, and how Umaru Dikko incurred Buhari's eternal hate. Making Buhari to become Nigeria's first kidnapper in UK or any foreign soil.

The 900k, the contract it was used for was known. Of course corrupt elements in politics & civil service fiddled with it. Nothing was ever traced to Alli or any close associate. In fact the road was only done by Osunbor's regime as governor.

Do not just jump into argument. Read widely first.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by psalmylee(m): 12:54am On Apr 11, 2020
Lipscomb:
pls ignore this fool..teenagers shouldn't b allowed on this fprum
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Nobody: 1:02am On Apr 11, 2020
omohlexy:
As a medical Prof he was supposed to be saving lives but greed no gree am. He still dabbled into politics. Imagine how he ended up. Such a material! Maybe our health institution would have been world class by now if he had featured in his trained profession. What's up with doctors and politics sef? Igige,odili,okowa,saraki,uduaghan etc. No wonder we have now resorted to importing coronally infested Chinese doctors.
greed, how much did he enmass for himself
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by obazie(m): 2:19am On Apr 11, 2020
Lipscomb:

Do u have working brains..
Even after reading the article you still can't comprehend...
Go and pray to the gods of ur ancestors for help
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by Profadvocate: 3:29am On Apr 11, 2020
I remember those days as a child was sick and this man treated me in his hospital free of charge.

The hospital was located in Emaudo Ekpoma in a rented storey building where he was using the top flat

BUHARI JUST USED HIS POWER THEN ON THIS INNOCENT GOOD MAN

1 Like

Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 4:32am On Apr 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

I have written about Barkin Zuwo & and Middle Belt governors Buhari dealt with anyhow. Go back to my posts from years ago.

I am sure you do not know that Zuwo was a Nupe from Niger State. He wasn't Hausa or Fulani. Not even Kanuri. Despite becoming Kano State governor.

What offense did opposition leader Pa Awo commit for his passport to be seized? Or his son's passport just for being publisher of Tribune?

Was late Dr Alex Ekwueme ever found wanting? Freed by the court several times but still detained by Buhari.

Dude, relatives were journalists deeply embedded in this matter back then. Every goat & Chicken expected Buhari's coup. I have written extensively about it here over the years. Including Buhari's time in Jos as GOC, Chief Solomon Lar, and how Umaru Dikko incurred Buhari's eternal hate. Making Buhari to become Nigeria's first kidnapper in UK or any foreign soil.

The 900k, the contract it was used for was known. Of course corrupt elements in politics & civil service fiddled with it. Nothing was ever traced to Alli or any close associate. In fact the road was only done by Osunbor's regime as governor.

Do not just jump into argument. Read widely first.
Thank God u admitted what I said earlier maybe not in this post. Alli was very forthright. He didn't even build himself a house. But also honestly he couldn't account for the money like u said corrupt element within his party misused. So since majority were his appointees, he took the hit. Blame not Buhari rather those who betrayed Alli. secondly never try to segregate the North. when it appointments we loop all Northerner s together. The accusation of majority b4 that no northerner was jailed by Buhari. But the case of Zuwo dismissed that. If you knew the evil of Dikko u won't support him, the powerful Shagari transport minister who once opined that Nigerians have not yet started eating from dustbins goes to show the length he was willing to bring them to book. Tell me any leader in Nigeria's history that have fought corruption like the Buhari/Idiagbon. Well that of Ekueme, the SMT still maintained they found stach of cash in his bedroom. Well like every other human institution, it wasn't perfect, some Nigerians with honourable records were victims. Even Gani supported that anti corruption stance of the govt. Ask yourself, if that govt had been allowed to remain far longer, would we still be battling with corruption till now? Except we not sincere here.
Re: Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts by cyrilamx(m): 4:37am On Apr 11, 2020
omonnakoda:

Am I supposed to be arguing with you?
Cos you all think democracy is the best government or the name Buhari irritates you. Dive into history and see the atrocity of the 2nd republic politicians. Agree few governors were forthright but was Alli wrongly jailed? What happened to the over N900k missing money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari And Dolapo Osinbajo In Abuja Buying Suya (Photo) / CNN Confirms That #EndSARS Lekki Massacre Happened / Photos Of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Her Husband, Ikemba (Then Vs Now)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.