Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

USA Visit Visa Part 4 - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Visit Visa Part 4 (929529 Views)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (435) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pointednose: 5:19pm On Jan 27, 2021
damkanlinsin:

Please how do I go about this. I have filled out the new DS 160 with the help of my old printed application form and I have updated it. Do I still need to update it when booking appointments

I think you need to check if the number on your profile is same as the one showing on your scheduled appointment.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pufframmy: 6:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
ok sir thanks
customised87:

Hello, I did not fill the form recently
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by LadyGuinivere: 8:37pm On Jan 28, 2021
Hello Good peoples

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Enimase: 9:14pm On Jan 28, 2021
Good evening one house
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Spanishmilf(m): 10:50pm On Jan 28, 2021
Kettlecorn:

I thought I was the only one wondering about this O! Why would anyone want to go on vacation to the US at this time? Most travel insurance specifically exclude pandemics includingcovid-19 so why are people taking this risk?
Boss don’t derail nd discourage people
This is a visit visa not corono thread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by ayenikunle: 11:44pm On Jan 28, 2021
LadyGuinivere:
Hello Good peoples

Mama!!!

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by quincynyc(m): 12:05pm On Jan 29, 2021
seyewest:

For now, almost every conference in U.S is virtual.... I will advise you to look for another reason to visit U.S
Good afternoon baba pls what are some of the valid reasons someone intending to visit the US during this period can present? I mean obviously tourism alone won’t seem to cut it or are they giving people regardless of d threats of d 2nd strain
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 2:41pm On Jan 29, 2021
Spanishmilf:
Boss don’t derail nd discourage people
This is a student visa not corono thread

Why would you be discouraged when presented with information that can help you prepare well unless you have ulterior motives? We all know the situation on the ground now. There are serious students who were not deterred and have started their first year in American universities remotely from Nigeria. Yes, they are attending classes online from Nigeria due to the Covid situation. When covid is over, they will go and apply for their student visa and attend in person. Do you not think these people stand a better chance than those who want to go "try their luck" during the pandemic?

4 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by UhnNah: 3:06pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

Why would you be discouraged when presented with information that can help you prepare well unless you have ulterior motives? We all know the situation on the ground now. There are serious students who were not deterred and have started their first year in American universities remotely from Nigeria. Yes, they are attending classes online from Nigeria due to the Covid situation. When covid is over, they will go and apply for their student visa and attend in person. Do you not think these people stand a better chance than those who want to go "try their luck" during the pandemic?

This was before! People have been getting their student visas and traveling to the US for the past few months! And the embassy has started attending to B1/B2 visas,though limited but it will get better and more interviews will be done!

And ofcos,These days,you stand a better chance if you’re visiting friends,families etc! The world has to move on and that’s why they’re slowly opening dates for visiting visas!

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 4:09pm On Jan 29, 2021
UhnNah:

This was before! People have been getting their student visas and traveling to the US for the past few months! And the embassy has started attending to B1/B2 visas,though limited but it will get better and more interviews will be done!

And ofcos,These days,you stand a better chance if you’re visiting friends,families etc! The world has to move on and that’s why they’re slowly opening dates for visiting visas!

Getting a student visa has always been relatively more difficult from Nigeria because of the high level of japa tendencies of our citizens. Adding a pandemic to the mix has only compounded issues. You cannot deny the fact that it is even more difficult with the pandemic. My point is that even when it is clear that conditions are not ideal and the likelihood of being denied is even higher, people are still trying their luck. You have to be smart to succeed. The people that I know that started the online option have the backing of their schools which have already made representation to the State department so that after their first year, they will easily be granted a visa. There are options out there. You will only look desperate if you try to push through now. Level of denial is currently high. Most schools are operating remotely even when on campus so what is the benefit of going there in person?
Even visiting friends and family is a long shot and trying your luck. How can you justify a vacation when you need to quarantine for 10 days upon entry? The official policy is that only essential travel is encouraged. The only people guaranteed entry are citizens and permanent residents and they are subject to testing and quarantine.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by UhnNah: 4:25pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

Getting a student visa has always been relatively more difficult from Nigeria because of the high level of japa tendencies of our citizens. Adding a pandemic to the mix has only compounded issues. You cannot deny the fact that it is even more difficult with the pandemic. My point is that even when it is clear that conditions are not ideal and the likelihood of being denied is even higher, people are still trying their luck. You have to be smart to succeed. The people that I know that started the online option have the backing of their schools which have already made representation to the State department so that after their first year, they will easily be granted a visa. There are options out there. You will only look desperate if you try to push through now. Level of denial is currently high. Most schools are operating remotely even when on campus so what is the benefit of going there in person?
Even visiting friends and family is a long shot and trying your luck. How can you justify a vacation when you need to quarantine for 10 days upon entry? The official policy is that only essential travel is encouraged. The only people guaranteed entry are citizens and permanent residents and they are subject to testing and quarantine.

Visit the USA student visa thread! Read from like October 2020 till date! You will find your answers!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Infiosa: 4:39pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

How do you mean restrictions? The only restrictions that have been communicated is having a covid-19 test 72 hour before boarding a plane to the US. I will appreciate references to other restrictions for vacations and visiting families and friends. See below.
http://ng.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 6:20pm On Jan 29, 2021
Infiosa:

How do you mean restrictions? The only restrictions that have been communicated is having a covid-19 test 72 hour before boarding a plane to the US. I will appreciate references to other restrictions for vacations and visiting families and friends. See below.
http://ng.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

I said the only people guaranteed entry are citizens and permanent residents, but they also need to have a negative covid test. A non citizen with a visa and negative covid test is not guaranteed entry at POE. It is and has always been at the discretion of the USCIS officer, and during a pandemic, non essential travel is discourged. As you well know, not every requirement/restriction is published or communicated. For example, People have been denied entry because they found resumes or even business cards on their person. Not a published requirement, but an indication of an inference.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by fkj950ax(m): 6:33pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

I said the only people guaranteed entry are citizens and permanent residents, but they also need to have a negative covid test. A non citizen with a visa and negative covid test is not guaranteed entry at POE. It is and has always been at the discretion of the USCIS officer, and during a pandemic, non essential travel is discourged.

Everyone is guaranteed entry if you have a valid visa, and COVID is not being used at any POE to deny entry. I am a non citizen and traveled with B1 in Nov 2020. Even went on a 9 hour road trip across 3 States lines in a rental.
Quarantine protocol also is self-quaratined, and not 14 days as was the practice in H1 2020. A State I am familiar with is 72-hours, after which, you are free to go about, observing COVID protocols.
72 hour Negative Test is required.

6 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 6:51pm On Jan 29, 2021
fkj950ax:

Everyone is guaranteed entry if you have a valid visa, and COVID is not being used at any POE to deny entry. I am a non citizen and traveled with B1 in Nov 2020. Even went on a 9 hour road trip across 3 States lines in a rental.
Quarantine protocol also is self-quaratined, and not 14 days as was the practice in H1 2020. A State I am familiar with is 72-hours, after which, you are free to go about, observing COVID protocols.
72 hour Negative Test is required.

Everyone is guaranteed entry if you have a valid visa, and COVID is not being used at any POE to deny entry
This is so far from the truth, it is not even funny. Only US citizens are "eventually" guaranteed entry into the country. They can be detained and delayed but will be let in. Everyone else, including permanent residents can and have been denied entry in the past. A visa holder has no guaranteed entry. The decision is up to the immigration officer and they can deny entry without giving you a reason. If you know your way around, you can start an appeals process right there, but it is a very convoluted process and almost impossible without prior legal representation arrangement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by fkj950ax(m): 7:10pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

Everyone is guaranteed entry if you have a valid visa, and COVID is not being used at any POE to deny entry
This is so far from the truth, it is not even funny. Only US citizens are "eventually" guaranteed entry into the country. They can be detained and delayed but will be let in. Everyone else, including permanent residents can and have been denied entry in the past. A visa holder has no guaranteed entry. The decision is up to the immigration officer and they can deny entry without giving you a reason. If you know your way around, you can start an appeals process right there, but it is a very convoluted process and almost impossible without prior legal representation arrangement.

The reference here is entry being denied using COVID at PoE. Everything up there is you deflecting from it.
COVID is not being used at any PoE to deny entry even during this current pandemic.
We all know admittance is at the discretion of CBP

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 7:55pm On Jan 29, 2021
fkj950ax:

The reference here is entry being denied using COVID at PoE. Everything up there is you deflecting from it.
COVID is not being used at any PoE to deny entry even during this current pandemic.
We all know admittance is at the discretion of CBP

Do I have to spell out everything? I said just like they use the presence of a resume on your person to infer something else, they also use the fact that you're traveling on vacation during a pandemic to a place where most things are shut down to infer some other intent. Its really that simple.
Besides that, what you wrote means exactly what I addressed. You said "everyone is guaranteed entry if they have a valid visa and...…." so not true!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 8:07pm On Jan 29, 2021
UhnNah:

Visit the USA student visa thread! Read from like October 2020 till date! You will find your answers!

Your answers are there too.

Check out this interview testament from a student that had ben previously denied a visa but went ahead to attend remotely. He was ultimately successful:
Me: I would be going to continue by undergraduate degree in biology at Edward Waters college in Florida. I started taking classes for the fall semester in Nigeria because of the pandemic and ended with a 4.0 GPA, I have my result with me.
V.O: wow, 4.0, that's great. (Then, Takes a look at my I-20), oh I can see you have a full ride, that's great.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by UhnNah: 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

Check out this interview testament from a student that had ben previously denied a visa but went ahead to attend remotely. He was ultimately successful:
Me: I would be going to continue by undergraduate degree in biology at Edward Waters college in Florida. I started taking classes for the fall semester in Nigeria because of the pandemic and ended with a 4.0 GPA, I have my result with me.
V.O: wow, 4.0, that's great. (Then, Takes a look at my I-20), oh I can see you have a full ride, that's great.

If ‘What are we saying,what’s he saying’ was a person!

But you type very good to not be getting the ‘points’ coming from 3 different monikers here!

PS: i don’t want to derail pls! That’s how they did on the previous thread! Let’s end it!

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Infiosa: 10:10pm On Jan 29, 2021
Kettlecorn:

I said the only people guaranteed entry are citizens and permanent residents, but they also need to have a negative covid test. A non citizen with a visa and negative covid test is not guaranteed entry at POE. It is and has always been at the discretion of the USCIS officer, and during a pandemic, non essential travel is discourged. As you well know, not every requirement/restriction is published or communicated. For example, People have been denied entry because they found resumes or even business cards on their person. Not a published requirement, but an indication of an inference.

Finding resume on a travellers may be flagged as a red flag but business cards should not attract any form of suspicion. From my personal experience, I have shown my business card to the immigration officers at the POEs on different occasions. In fact, it was indeed a convincing proof that I have strong tie to return to the home country. The mentioned excuses for denial of entry at the POE are circumstantial not travel restrictions on non-citizens. The only and most updated requirement for non US citizens is Convid 19 negative test. I will appreciate if you can make a reference, at least we are all because of necessary information.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pufframmy: 10:11pm On Jan 29, 2021
pls what is best time to pick a date

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 10:43pm On Jan 29, 2021
UhnNah:

If ‘What are we saying,what’s he saying’ was a person!

But you type very good to not be getting the ‘points’ coming from 3 different monikers here!

PS: i don’t want to derail pls! That’s how they did on the previous thread! Let’s end it!

Whatever dude. I'm not part of the echo chamber/try your luck gang that doesn't and cannot think things through thoroughly. And this is not derailing, it is actually very germaine to the topic of this thread. Those that can have deciphered the message which is that the pandemic has indeed indirectly made getting a visa more difficult right now and will make better preparations if they indeed have a strong reason to go for an interview at this time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 11:18pm On Jan 29, 2021
Infiosa:

Finding resume on a travellers may be flagged as a red flag but business cards should not attract any form of suspicion. From my personal experience, I have shown my business card to the immigration officers at the POEs on different occasions. In fact, it was indeed a convincing proof that I have strong tie to return to the home country. The mentioned excuses for denial of entry at the POE are circumstantial not travel restrictions on non-citizens. The only and most updated requirement for non US citizens is Convid 19 negative test. I will appreciate if you can make a reference, at least we are all because of necessary information.

The underlying principle here is "flee from all appearances of evil that can possibly lead to negative connotations". Carrying a resume or business cards or even attending an interview in the US are not explicitly restricted, but the immigration officers at POE can infer negative things just by seeing stuff like this. It has happened many times before and people should be careful and just avoid it. There was the case of a lady that was denied entry when they found her hair extensions hustle business cards along with a few packets of extensions in her luggage. They said she was going to market and sell her products, which she denied, but then, guess what the result was? The only and most updated requirement for non US citizens is Convid 19 negative test. Not 100% true. There is also the requirement that you quarantine for 10 days. Do you envision that they may ask you your quarantine plans at POE? Again, not explicitly stated but likely a stumbling block if you don't prepare well and think its a triviality. Y'all keep stating the officially published restrictions when we all know that the POE officer has wide discretion to allow or deny entry and can infer almost anything from anything, which they often do. My simple message is plan and prepare well.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by coldsummer: 3:14am On Jan 30, 2021
pufframmy:
pls what is best time to pick a date

I have been trying to get a date for my mum as well and have not been successful. I wish i would get something ASAP.
I have been looking at Abuja
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Infiosa: 3:28am On Jan 30, 2021
Kettlecorn:

The underlying principle here is "flee from all appearances of evil that can possibly lead to negative connotations". Carrying a resume or business cards or even attending an interview in the US are not explicitly restricted, but the immigration officers at POE can infer negative things just by seeing stuff like this. It has happened many times before and people should be careful and just avoid it. There was the case of a lady that was denied entry when they found her hair extensions hustle business cards along with a few packets of extensions in her luggage. They said she was going to market and sell her products, which she denied, but then, guess what the result was? The only and most updated requirement for non US citizens is Convid 19 negative test. Not 100% true. There is also the requirement that you quarantine for 10 days. Do you envision that they may ask you your quarantine plans at POE? Again, not explicitly stated but likely a stumbling block if you don't prepare well and think its a triviality. Y'all keep stating the officially published restrictions when we all know that the POE officer has wide discretion to allow or deny entry and can infer almost anything from anything, which they often do. My simple message is plan and prepare well.

Your opinion is undoubtedly well stated and communicated. As mandatory as quarantine plans sound but it's a function of the state you are visiting in the US. However covid-19 negative test result is inevitably mandatory at every POE in the States. I will definitely agree with u on plans and preparation. As long as your intentions are genuine, no stone should be left unturned. In conclusion, a colleague of mine visited New York this January on 2 weeks vacation and he was not asked so much difficult questions on his quarantine plans despite it was stated that he would be staying in the hotel for the period.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Kettlecorn: 4:56am On Jan 30, 2021
Infiosa:

Your opinion is undoubtedly well stated and communicated. As mandatory as quarantine plans sound but it's a function of the state you are visiting in the US. However covid-19 negative test result is inevitably mandatory at every POE in the States. I will definitely agree with u on plans and preparation. As long as your intentions are genuine, no stone should be left unturned. In conclusion, a colleague of mine visited New York this January on 2 weeks vacation and he was not asked so much difficult questions on his quarantine plans despite it was stated that he would be staying in the hotel for the period.

As mandatory as quarantine plans sound but it's a function of the state you are visiting in the US.
No sir, effective Jan 26, it is now a federal manadate signed into law by executive action by Biden, that can and most likely will be regulated at POE. Things are moving very quickly as new variants of the virus are popping up. The burden of enforcing pre testing is on the airlines. You will not be allowed to board without a negative covid test. Quarantine plans however are expected to be validated at POE. These are all still very new as plans are still being tweaked by the CDC. I will not be surprised if the US eventually comes up with stricter enforcement of quanrantine. Canada just announced theirs today. "Trudeau said in addition to the pre-boarding test Canada already requires, the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada. Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2,000,” Trudeau said." Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement.
Very draconian in my opinion. My interpretation of this is that they are trying to discourage international travel.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pointednose: 11:03am On Jan 30, 2021
Kettlecorn:

I don't know where this is coming from but A LOT Of people have gotten student visas and have travelled to the US in the last couple of weeks.

Even visitors on B1/B2 visas are travelling already.

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pointednose: 11:08am On Jan 30, 2021
Kettlecorn:

Its generally true that a visa does not guarantee entry into the US, but let's put this in context. The issue I personally responded to is the fact that students and other non-essential travels are not encouraged or allowed to travel. I know so many people who have visited the US in the last couple of weeks/months.

This is a place where people come for info, so I don't want anyone to think he or she cannot apply for a visa cos its a non-essential trip. Being granted a visa is another subject matter, which is at the call of the consular officer.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pointednose: 11:13am On Jan 30, 2021
Kettlecorn:

You are right! However, the outcome of visas can go several ways. Some never attended any remote learning and had their visas approved. Some started remote learning and was denied. In my opinion, attending remotely is not the reason why anyone will be approved.

Except your school is still strictly online, Pandemic will not be a reason why someone with a valid visa especially a student will be deny entry, except there are other red flags.

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pointednose: 11:15am On Jan 30, 2021
Infiosa:

Exactly!

B1 visa, specifically, is a business visa!!

My aim, too, is to ensure correct info is being put forward

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by pointednose: 11:19am On Jan 30, 2021
Kettlecorn:

Whatever dude. I'm not part of the echo chamber/try your luck gang that doesn't and cannot think things through thoroughly. And this is not derailing, it is actually very germaine to the topic of this thread. Those that can have deciphered the message which is that the pandemic has indeed indirectly made getting a visa more difficult right now and will make better preparations if they indeed have a strong reason to go for an interview at this time.

I agree that a pandemic may make getting visas especially for "tourist purpose" difficult. Even though I don't think same applies for student visas. I guess there are currently little/no student visa appointments though, maybe until another semester is approaching.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 4 by Infiosa: 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2021
Kettlecorn:

As mandatory as quarantine plans sound but it's a function of the state you are visiting in the US.
No sir, effective Jan 26, it is now a federal manadate signed into law by executive action by Biden, that can and most likely will be regulated at POE. Things are moving very quickly as new variants of the virus are popping up. The burden of enforcing pre testing is on the airlines. You will not be allowed to board without a negative covid test. Quarantine plans however are expected to be validated at POE. These are all still very new as plans are still being tweaked by the CDC. I will not be surprised if the US eventually comes up with stricter enforcement of quanrantine. Canada just announced theirs today. "Trudeau said in addition to the pre-boarding test Canada already requires, the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada. Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2,000,” Trudeau said." Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement.
Very draconian in my opinion. My interpretation of this is that they are trying to discourage international travel.

Canada's approach since the beginning of covid-19 pandemic has been stricter and tighter than most countries. We are very much aware they have stricter travel requirements and exemptions for non Canadian citizens/PR holders. Each country treats their travel restrictions differently. So the information communicated so far on travel requirements for visitors to enter US is just as basic as if you want to visit Dubai. For now, let's drop overflogging this issue. Thanks for sharing thoughts and opinions. Well communicated.� �

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (435) (Reply)

Studying In Finland (free Tuition) / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2

Viewing this topic: Thcounsellor and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.