Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,222 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian (129700 Views)

Lai Mohammed Berates Canadian Government, Twitter Over Handling Of Protests / "Happy To Be Home" - Nigerian Soldier With His Family After War With Boko Haram / Jonathan Government Gave Irrevocable Licence To Electricity Distribution Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by edlion57(m): 10:41pm On Apr 21, 2020
daddytime:
Nice one.

Just stay safe and away from any potential mass shooting site.

Our people say beauty no dey complete.

Their Government dey people-oriented, but you fit just say make you stroll go supermarket to buy some grocery the next thing one kolo oyibo wey half done and medium-rare meat don chop part of him brain go just enter there begin shoot everybody for no just cause.

In fact ehn, e no get anywhere wey e be 10/10.

Las las na only God perfect.

With this lockdown I just wished I was in my village aswear.

Easy jeje life...wetin concern you concern coro

I was shocked to notice there were no mosquitoes in my village the last time I visited. I slept with the netless windows open.
aboki
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Onebyonedead: 10:41pm On Apr 21, 2020
It's not about conversion

The truth is Nigerian govt have not even given the jobless any helping hand from day one

But some idiots here me arguing and saying they have been around the world and compare Nigeria with developed countries

Mofos be living in denial

Even if u pay bills abroad At least the govt helps so u can live like a human.

But Nigeria is a jungle and people need to start saying the truth and stop justifying failures

You pay more tax in Nigeria

No country increases price of anything by 200% overnight

Bank charges no country does that

Fela don talk am mumu na mumu

8 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by leokid866: 10:41pm On Apr 21, 2020
Angelfrost:

I do faithfully... Been doing consistently, voluntarily and involuntarily for over a decade now!!!

My parents did, and still do... So did my forefathers!!!

Not less than 60% of working and hustling Nigerians pay one form of taxes or the other!!!

Any further questions??! undecided
The number of people who pay tax in Nigeria are not up to one third of the population. Unless you are talking about VAT, and even that is not enough to serve the entire population in these terms.....you forget a major part of the Nigerian market is in the informal sector. I'm surprised at where you get your claim that 60% of Nigerians pay tax.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Staro: 10:42pm On Apr 21, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.

This is not salary.
Upkeep allowance is tax free
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by modsareuseless: 10:42pm On Apr 21, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.

and those who pay tax in Nigeria how much were they given? even common light they paid for did they see? oga you're a fool

6 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by aladeokin1000(m): 10:43pm On Apr 21, 2020
A country where things work as it is supposed to
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by osazsky(m): 10:44pm On Apr 21, 2020
salam8528:
but I pay above 19k as tax every month to govt from my salaries ..I have not received anything...I cleard my acc so that I will be eligible to receive cash yet nothing...I thought they said if u have below 5k on ur acc .u will be credited ok let them pay only those who pay tax and have below 5k ....Buhari y
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by thegloor: 10:44pm On Apr 21, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Lugard it shall never be well with you

Amen
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by zcee: 10:44pm On Apr 21, 2020
And they are still protesting for the lockdown to be lifted..chimooo!!
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Adakintroy2: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
Cowards. I know this country is shiit for now but we will persevere.

America America. Men fought in civil wars, world wars Vietnam, golf..e.t.c.get America were it is

If mandela a had abandon southy you all won't be there now cheering southy!

You always behaving like bittches. Always going were the money is.

Buhari una DE curse better pass una. Because he fought in the civil war. I may not like him but he has my respect. At least he fought for what he believe.

Many of you don't believe in anything to start with.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Avalancheman: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
softset:
$2600 is not a lot of money if you live in Canada.How long will it take you to spend that .

If you will no longer return to Nigeria because of that amount, I sympathize with your situation.

Exactly!

The money is only valuable in Nigeria. That is why it easier to send those monies home. Over there, they are not worth much... kiss

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
salam8528:
Nigerians also pay tax. Besides, he sees the benefits of the tax he has been paying, unlike what is obtainable here.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by iammolise(m): 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
I've said it from the first time I read the FG wanted to start evacuating our folks out there; And my one and only question was only... WHO GO COME

Except pesin wey no get any hope again or pesin wey dey on the black list 4 dat side so dis na like escape route 4 am
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Rapmoney(m): 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
meetme01:

And those who pay tax in Nigeria were given......

A. Pallatives less than 5K

B. Pallatives more than 5K

C. Nothing

D. All of the above

Call a spade a spade. We are all in a ZOO.

Cc: salam8528
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by aladeokin1000(m): 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
A country where things work as it is supposed to.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by glowingflame7: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
salford1:

It's for everyone as long as you lost your job as a result of Covid. It is similar to Employment insurance except it's a bit higher.

Not everyone got it. I.e. those still employed (essential services) and those who did not lost their jobs for Covid reasons.

One can nearly survive on such sha. A tax of maybe $300 bucks would be removed. You pay rent of maybe 1100. And bills of maybe $300 to $500. Then you add feeding of maybe $200. So one is really left with nothing. It's just to keep one alive and encourage spending in the economy.

You pay rent, bills and feeding despite job loss. You think that's nothing? You will get 247 light, data, water, gas, security, sanity, and the best food in Nigerian standards, beautiful apartment, quality health care, access to good roads and social amenities despite losing your job. And this is nothing special to you? Even people with full time job not under lockdown in Nigeria don't have this.

9 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by osazsky(m): 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
leokid866:

The number of people who pay tax in Nigeria are not up to one third of the population. Unless you are talking about VAT, and even that is not enough to serve the entire population in these terms.....you forget a major part of the Nigerian market is in the informal sector. I'm surprised at where you get your claim that 60% of Nigerians pay tax.
ok let them pay only those who pay tax na which makes me eligible I pay close to 20k every month as tax
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Youngminister(m): 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
You that pay tax @each call what are your benefits from 9ja government?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nobody: 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
softset:
$2600 is not a lot of money if you live in Canada.How long will it take you to spend that .

If you will no longer return to Nigeria because of that amount, I sympathize with your situation.
it will be enough for basics like house rent and food.except if has a family he is catering for in nigeria.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Angelfrost(m): 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
Tumbulum:
very few people know that Nigeria is a poor country. Infact we are so poor that a drastic drop in oil price will affect everything that happens.
Being poor,we are also bedeviled with corrupt leaders who loot away the little money we make selling crude.
Even if corruption is eliminated, Nigeria will still remain poor if all we do is dig up crude and sell to get dollars.this is not how a proper country is run.
Nigeria at this moment cannot even afford to give every of it's citizens 100k for parliative.

Nigeria has not been perpetually poor, and should not continue to wallow in the cesspit of lame excuses...

Singapore, Vietnam, India, etc, took their destinies into their hands and made the drive to come out of poverty, even in the absence of good natural resources...

Please, no need painting a picture of gloom and impossibility... Nigeria's biggest problem now is not poverty or dearth of resources... Her biggest problem now, and for years, remains the absence of visionary leadership to harness her strengths to development and self sufficiency!!!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Onebyonedead: 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
leokid866:

Stop giving excuse for a failed govt

Seriously stop

5 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by glowingflame7: 10:47pm On Apr 21, 2020
EverythingCars:

People are so quick to convert these currencies forgetting that they also spend in $ and not naira. Only one month house rent go collect $2k.
Stop converting money unless you are sending it to Nigeria!!!

Which kind of house rent is 2k dollars? Do jobless people stay in houses with 2k rent?

4 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by gift2xl: 10:47pm On Apr 21, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Lugard it shall never be well with you

Even in his grave abi.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by iswallker(m): 10:47pm On Apr 21, 2020
Powerintoxicate:
don't mind the guy. Almost everyone in Nigeria pays tax with the Value added Tax. What has the govt done for you with the VAT it collects almost daily?

So VAT is your personal income tax.

Even VAT can you show us evidence that you ever paid it. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Starz825(m): 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
softset:

Whether the money would be enough or not... Canada is still a better place than Nigeria...
Where u have to sleep with your two eyes opened.
So why should he come to Nigeria...no palliative nothing...
For me I don't see any reason why he should come to Nigeria...

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Staro: 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
kikero:
Hmm

Canada's budget this year is $355 billion for 24 million people.

Nigeria's budget this year is $26 billion for 200 million people.

And you expect Nigeria to give palliative of N626000 naira per person or per family?

Nigeria is a mess, but we are not up to Canada's level. Vote for governments who would make us an industrial nation, then we can talk.

To all those people cursing Nigeria up-thread...yes, we have had corrupt governments. But there is no way our government can afford to give stimulus of N626,000 naira to everyone. Not on our budget,without taking even more mega loans.

Modified

Even giving 100million Nigerians N50000 each a month would involve spending the equivalent of our budget for the year in one month.($26 Billion)

Stop being clever by half, nobody asked Nigeria's govt for #626K
Just pay #10K monthly into BVN accounts of states on lockdown.
Is that too much to ask for ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by thegloor: 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
kikero:
Hmm

Canada's budget this year is $355 billion for 24 million people.

Nigeria's budget this year is $26 billion for 200 million people.

And you expect Nigeria to give palliative of N626000 naira per person or per family?

Nigeria is a mess, but we are not up to Canada's level. Vote for governments who would make us an industrial nation, then we can talk.

To all those people cursing Nigeria up-thread...yes, we have had corrupt governments. But there is no way our government can afford to give stimulus of N626,000 naira to everyone. Not on our budget,without taking even more mega loans.

Modified

Even giving 100million Nigerians N50000 each a month would involve spending the equivalent of our budget for the year in one month.($26 Billion)

BUT less than 500 people are taking more than 600k for hardship, wardrobe and other allowance?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by salford1: 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
HeavenlyHolines:
This thread go reach 10 with different curses. Nigerians no de want here Can not to talk of Canada grin
The guy that posted the twitter stuff is not really concerned about the naija government. He just wants to do pepper dem for people stuck back home. grin
Nigerians can be vain at times.
You can already see people on the thread asking God for when, why me, why dem born them for Nigeria etc.

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by anytexy: 10:49pm On Apr 21, 2020
MT:
Nice from the Canadian Government but OP is a little bit sensational. Why stating the money in Naira? The Naira and Canadian dollars represent different values in the Canadian environment.

Like I have always stated, Nigeria Govt even if they wish to give palliatives, they DO NOT have the DATA to guide them and the STRUCTURE to channel such through. It is sad there is no credible data that are guiding the decision making of any establishment in this country. Sadly, instead of addressing this gap, we will pretend as if everything is okay after this crisis is over. I was ashamed as a Nigerian to see the parameters that Federal and State governments are using to identify people in the lower rung of the ladder. Even I wonder where the employment bureau and statistics get their data showing the number of the unemployed in Nigeria from.
This Data base issue is one of the things I expected APC government should have looked into, also constitution amendment. But they have failed for 6years. PDP failed 16years

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by thegloor: 10:50pm On Apr 21, 2020
Tumbulum:
very few people know that Nigeria is a poor country. Infact we are so poor that a drastic drop in oil price will affect everything that happens.
Being poor,we are also bedeviled with corrupt leaders who loot away the little money we make selling crude.
Even if corruption is eliminated, Nigeria will still remain poor if all we do is dig up crude and sell to get dollars.this is not how a proper country is run.
Nigeria at this moment cannot even afford to give every of it's citizens 100k for parliative.

Nigeria as a country is RICH but the people are POOR
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Angelfrost(m): 10:50pm On Apr 21, 2020
leokid866:

"Working and Hustling Nigerians"!!!

Please, comprehend fully and properly before rushing to attack!!!...

...And, we currently generate quite a lot from all taxes. We can generate far more if we choose and decide to.
However, generating is not the issue (it has never really been)... You can generate more taxes here than Europe and America, yet still wallow in underdevelopment!!! I am sure you know why!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by moshino(m): 10:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
helinues:
Nice one..

But how are we sure this payment is for a Nigerian, except if he/she has dual citizenship

You don't need to be dual citizen to get it. If you are an adult legal resident of Canada you'll get $2k every month for up to 6 months, and there are other additional money you could qualify for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Arrested, Extradited To Nigeria, Arrived Nigeria On Sunday / Orji Uzor Kalu’s 400-Room Mansion In Igbere, Abia State (Photos) / Eastern Neighbourhoods And Streets Are Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.