Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? (1897 Views)

What Is The Worst Advice You've Ever Given Someone? / Can You Advice Your Brother Or Sister To Marry Someone Like You??? / What Is That Marriage/relationship Advice Your Father Or Mother Have Told You?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 9:14pm On Apr 21, 2020
I remember when my dad adviced
"Respect and listen to elders even if they are wrong"
I just SMH inside my mind.. I love him to pieces but that advice was the worst advice I think I ever got from him..

What's yours??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by ursamajor: 9:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
If you go to school up to university level, you would not have to worry a bout cash

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 9:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
Then when I was entering 100 lvl
My Aunt sat me down to talk to me about Lifestyle in University..
She said
"Put others first. Everyone will respect and love you for it.

Boyyyyy that was the worst advice ever
As I was taken advantage by lots of people due to my kindness my first year..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Ningen(m): 9:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
Seems like your Dad and Aunt are redditors. wink

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 9:27pm On Apr 21, 2020
ursamajor:
If you go to school up to university level, you would not have to worry a bout cash
80% of our parents where born during the era when education was the most honorable thing as many were illiterates and could not hold position in government.

So the idea of going to school in order to achieve finiancial status was imbedded into them by their own parents..
This our new generation is breaking up that vicious cycle..

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 9:32pm On Apr 21, 2020
Ningen:
Seems like your Dad and Aunt are redditors. wink
Are you FBI or CIA??

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by ursamajor: 9:33pm On Apr 21, 2020
SultanOfPuna:

80% of our parents where born during the era when education was the most honorable thing as many were illiterates and could not hold position in government.

So the idea of going to school in order to achieve finiancial status was imbeddedinto them by their own parents..
This our new generation is breaking up that vicious cycle..
I totally agree with you. Getting a job then was more easy, even for a secondary school leaver.
Now masters holders are begging to teach in nursery primary schools.

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 9:39pm On Apr 21, 2020
ursamajor:

I totally agree with you. Getting a job then was more easy, even for a secondary school leaver.
Now masters holders are begging to teach in nursery primary schools.
In 1960 Nigeria had a population of 40 million and the jobs where easily available..
In these day, the market has been saturated with over 200 million population.

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by BanjiRaymond(m): 10:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
Listen to their instructions. But I realized if you listen to everything your parents said, it will be hard to make it in this generation because all they said was bad is the same making others rich and better

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by CsRockefeller(m): 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
The other day it was a thread to vilify mothers, now parents.

You people should continue, d ground will swallow u all las las.
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by paulolee(m): 10:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
k
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 6:13am On Apr 22, 2020
BanjiRaymond:
Listen to their instructions. But I realized if you listen to everything your parents said, it will be hard to make it in this generation because all they said was bad is the same making others rich and better
This is why mamas boys can't cope in the real world..
The issue with African parents
They love us but they don't know how to accept and adapt to change to the new generation.
They tell you stories of their University days and how sweet it was then..

But our generation has to deal with cultists in unviersity and lecturers who want sex for marks.. So the advice that worked for our parents worked only in the 1900's

1 Like

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Fheelzz(m): 6:49am On Apr 22, 2020
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by sse7en(m): 7:09am On Apr 22, 2020
My parents advised me to stay in Nigeria after my NYSC.

When i am now ready to relocate...boom!!! covid 19 menace decided to show face.

I love them tho...cant blame them...each generation have a unique experience thus the way to success cant be the same - you might not even need a degree before making millions these days

Our children too will have a unique experience, it is our job as parents to guide them in the right direction and not force them to do things based on our experience.

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 7:24am On Apr 22, 2020
CsRockefeller:
The other day it was a thread to vilify mothers, now parents.

You people should continue, d ground will swallow u all las las.
You sound like a kid
How old are you??
This is a thought provoking thread..
Not for Children like you.

1 Like

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 7:33am On Apr 22, 2020
sse7en:
My parents advised me to stay in Nigeria after my NYSC.

When i am now ready to relocate...boom!!! covid 19 menace decided to show face.

I love them tho...cant blame them...each generation have a unique experience thus the way to success cant be the same - you might not even need a degree before making millions these days

Our children too will have a unique experience, it is our job as parents to guide them in the right direction and not force them to do things based on our experience.
If I may ask, what was the reason they wanted you to stay??
Some parents are encouraging their kids to find greener pastures outside. So I'm curious why they wanted you to stay here
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by sse7en(m): 7:43am On Apr 22, 2020
SultanOfPuna:

If I may ask, what was the reason they wanted you to stay??
Some parents are encouraging their kids to find greener pastures outside. So I'm curious why they wanted you to stay here

They have a perception that traveling abroad amount to waste of time, my parents use my late uncle who traveled in the 60s as a casestudy to discourage us from relocating because my uncle became too westernized and basically wasted his life.

My father was close to him, i guess he felt his demise more and just let his emotion get the better of him when it comes to traveling abroad.

1 Like

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 8:00am On Apr 22, 2020
sse7en:

They have a perception that traveling abroad amount to waste of time, my parents use my late uncle who traveled in the 60s as a casestudy to discourage us from relocating because my uncle became too westernized and basically wasted his life.

My father was close to him, i guess he felt his demise more and just let his emotion get the better of him when it comes to traveling abroad.
It's that thing called FEAR that stops us all from achieving our dreams..
Sometimes over protection from our parents is what destroys our future..
That's why stubborn kids achieve more
Than yes ma or yes sir kids
The truth is that in order to be successful you need to stand your ground and make a decision no matter what your parents think..
God called Abraham to leave his family and all he loved behind and venture into the unknown lands..
God called Jonah to abandon his family and go preach in a city
God called Elisha to abandon his family and go to wilderness to be a prophet

Family is a place for comfort, and honestly not a place to involve in hard decision because family will always use bias and emotion to prevent you from making tough decisions..
In order to be successful in life you need to separate family influence on your life decisions. That's why God told all his prophets to abandon family first then return back when they have achieved their life mission.

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by sse7en(m): 8:11am On Apr 22, 2020
SultanOfPuna:

It's that thing called FEAR that stops us all from achieving our dreams..
Sometimes over protection from our parents is what destroys our future..
That's why stubborn kids achieve more
Than yes ma or yes sir kids
The truth is that in order to be successful you need to stand your ground and make a decision no matter what your parents think..
God called Abraham to leave his family and all he loved behind and venture into the unknown lands..
God called Jonah to abandon his family and go preach in a city
God called Elisha to abandon his family and go to wilderness to be a prophet

Family is a place for comfort, and honestly not a place to involve in hard decision because family will always use bias and emotion to prevent you from making tough decisions..
In order to be successful in life you need to separate family influence on your life decisions. That's why God told all his prophets to abandon family first then return back when they have achieved their life mission.

I know better now, I was young and naive then.

But jungle don mature now, if I want to do something now...i do it without owing anyone explanation.

Afterall...it is my life and i get to live it just once.

If not for covid 19...i will probably be on my way out towards the end of the year.

God knows best sha.

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 8:35am On Apr 22, 2020
sse7en:

I know better now, I was young and naive then.

But jungle don mature now, if I want to do something now...i do it without owing anyone explanation.

Afterall...it is my life and i get to live it just once.

If not for covid 19...i will probably be on my way out towards the end of the year.

God knows best sha.
It's well bro, everything happens for a greater reason. 5 years from now you will look back and see why things had to play out the way it did.
Have a nice day..
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:43am On Apr 22, 2020
I remember far back 2011 in Lagos, just came back from my youth service in Adamawa state and dad came to advice me. ..."My son, now that you are back and I know you are full of energy and very intelligent, why not join your mates in this Yahoo Yahoo thing, i will even get you a laptop for it"....I was just speechless for 2 minutes looking at him and walk away!

1 Like

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 8:51am On Apr 22, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
I remember far back 2011 in Lagos, just came back from my youth service in Adamawa state and dad came to advice me. ..."My son, now that you are back and I know you are full of energy and very intelligent, why not join your mates in this Yahoo Yahoo thing, i will even get you a laptop for it"....I was just speechless for 2 minutes looking at him and walk away!
Did you later do the Yahoo Thing?
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 8:51am On Apr 22, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
Did you later do the Yahoo?
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Liliantalks: 8:56am On Apr 22, 2020
Good people hv better rewards in life!! Nope life is unfair
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:35am On Apr 23, 2020
SultanOfPuna:

Did you later do the Yahoo?

I went into entrepreneurship, i dont do yahoo yahoo but played nairabet more that time....lol...but now our level don change
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Ferdinandu(m): 6:48am On Apr 23, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
Is this a joke or is it for real?

1 Like

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by SultanOfPuna: 5:53pm On Apr 28, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

I went into entrepreneurship, i dont do yahoo yahoo but played nairabet more that time....lol...but now our level don change
Send me small alert bros..
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Lush100(m): 4:52am On Apr 29, 2020
My parents very good and godly always advice caution.
This is good but the level.of caution I am talking about will not make you achieve much.
Too much caution, you will keep looking at the cloud and you will not plant.
You have to take some risk.
See you will take great risk when you have no help anywhere.
They love and don't want u to get hurt.
But this life I see is for those who get hurt and can take the pain and keep going.
And release the pain by writing a book.
That book part is what I am going to do .

Modified: My parents therefore never gave me any bad advice let alone worse.
I am just talking about mindset.

1 Like

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by purplecoco(f): 4:58am On Apr 29, 2020
I hate this cycle thing

It so hard to see folks corresponding to the generation stuff and know we not living in the 1900s no more. If you ever able to break the cycle that was passed from our ancestors to our parents, you can do anything in this life.

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Nobody: 5:04am On Apr 29, 2020
I don't remember any bad advice from my parents.
Re: The Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You? by Dreiwizzy: 1:14pm On May 01, 2020
purplecoco:
I hate this cycle thing

It so hard to see folks corresponding to the generation stuff and know we not living in the 1900s no more. If you ever able to break the cycle that was passed from our ancestors to our parents, you can do anything in this life.
God bless you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beware Of Girls With False RAPE Accusations / How To Get Into Her Pants On First Date (key Method) / Some nairalands are kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.