Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? (28038 Views)

Female Corper Burnt After In Motor Accident While Travelling. Graphic Photos / Have You Ever Been Stranded While Traveling? Share Your Experiences. / Imagine This Is Lagos And You've Been Stranded For Hours, What Would You Do(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by kaycee125: 9:47pm On Apr 26, 2020
Then when I was a corper I traveled when the fare was increased, I called my friend to transfer money to me, he did but it didn't reflect on time. So I had to ask the bank security guy and sent him money when I got home.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Promise47(m): 9:47pm On Apr 26, 2020
Yes when I Travelled to Coal city state for Marathon I even slept In a night Bad so much cold the next morning after the Marathon where I kept my bag my money went missing so I called my cousin in school he sent me 2,000 naira for my transportation I thank God because even when I went to ask some people for money dy turned me down but I thank God I left the Eugun state I thank God..

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 26, 2020
It wasn't a funny experience at all, though it wasn't because of money.
The driver carrying me got to the destination quite late n I had to sleep in the same car with him.
That was when I knew that truely some married men have no shame.
I showed him his lane and I'm sure he'll never try that with just any lady he come across ever again.
#goodriddancetorubbish

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 26, 2020
uncleck:
You'll understand when you travel from Sokoto to East with big bus at night... That thing you write no follow

Big bus for what reason?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Kenneth10110(m): 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
Mind my english o. I traveled from Port Harcourt to IMO so the final border was closed soldiers asked us to go back that there was lockdown and they can't risk bribes. People were entering bike #2000 because it was allowed in I had nothing on me but my ATM i started begging if we reach IMO state I'll find POS and withdraw for you. All of them rejected me saying it was Sunday. Hmm driver was already fighting with the rest passengers he can't refund us any penny. Any car you see they will pick girls ahead of me. I started having different thoughts all through. It was another bus that knew one bush side that saved me that day okay all of us should pay #500 each to follow these bus people started paying o worst one man i told of my plight this man paid for two ladies in my presence o. I just sneak enter my main bus what i had in mind is if the driver ask me for money we will fight. I'll tell him i haven't gotten to my destination cause no other hope aah we go drag am o for here. I was ready for war that moment. Fast forward driver started bus we follow bush inside this very bush i started hearing stories of robbers and all that driver was driving with full speed. Naso e dey happen if motor loose break or this people come out. I jejely hide my phone inside last side of my bag. I thank God we reach Owerri. Dropped at destination had to trek another journey to ATM machine after withdrawing no movement of cars I trekked two hours before getting home.

12 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by faithfull18(f): 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
Yes oh, hmmn.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Hollyfood: 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
Yes, it was a whole adventure! Once, all the money was stolen from me, and about 3 dollars remained on the card (I always preferred to carry cash). I was very lucky that my mother sent me to the violin school at the age of 5, and I liked this lesson very much, so I always carried a violin with me, so that, if anything, I could play friends to raise fun. And so, in order to survive, I had to play the violin in the subway, entertaining the people. In the end, I realized that this is the coolest trip of my life

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Ibfpleasant(m): 9:50pm On Apr 26, 2020
My first time of visiting Ibadan that I supposed to back to Lagos same day. I wanted to use ATM to withdraw the last money for transport back to Lagos.. naso Uba machine swallow my card. Make I no tell una the rest

10 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by KaptainAfrika: 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2020
I was stranded in the white man's land of our colonial masters.

I entered the bus, and I totally forgot where I was to drop off.

That's how I was driven to the bus terminal.

I messaged my host and she gave me the name of the bus stop.

The old white bus driver asked if "I was aiite.", I said I dun miss road o, I was about to put my hands in my pocket to pay for another bus ticket.

"Dont worry son, I will drop you off at Salford Shopping Center."

I thanked the man, my host was waiting for me - I put my hand where my money was meant to be - nothing!

When I got to my hostel, my money was lying on my desk next to my atm card.

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Collegenews: 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2020
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Mrbaz1: 9:54pm On Apr 26, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I don't really like typing stories but lemme say this

I think this one happened last year..At the end of our first semester exams, I wanted to return back to Lagos... Instead of following reputable transport companies like iyare, God is good and the likes.. I decided to follow SUG bus because it was very cheap(half the price I'm supposed to pay if I followed God is good and the likes)

But the main reason I followed the bus was because I had used most of my fare and by the time I had paid, I had only 200 naira with me

So when the bus (SUG) came to meet us at Hall 2 car park..it was very bad..... from looking at it ..one can suspect that this bus would have so many faults but I and the other passengers didn't care. We were all concerned on getting home..

So we paid and did all the necessary before the bus started it's journey.

The Journey became a nightmare after we got past ore. Suddenly the driver just stopped the bus and told us that there was a fault in the bus and that we should all come down..After a few grumbling from all of us, we all came down. Then the driver told us to be walking to the front that he'll meet us along the way. That period was fun as due to the fact that almost all of us were students, we all chatted with ourselves and made fun of the driver (behind his back tho). Then the bus met us on the way and we all entered.

But immediately we got past sagamu, The driver started complaining about the bus that it had a lot of faults and that he'll not be able to carry us to our final destination.. This thing infuriated most of us and we were all shouting at the driver that he should refund part of the money so that we'll be able to get another transport to our place . But the driver was adamant. He refused to give us anything at all claiming he didn't have any money on him.

After everything ..He was able to successfully carry us into Lagos..then he stopped us at ojota.... saying that his brake pads has spoilt and he can't afford to continue the journey.. After all the pleading, he refused to give us part of our money..

We all came down...

Then it dawned on me that I had just 200 naira on me ..and where I was going was still miles ahead(I was Going to cele)

So while other passengers were getting buses to go their various places..I was jus standing , hoping my dad would come and rescue me(that one just tell me that if I lost..e nor concern am)
After waiting for too long..I found a bus that was going to a different cele and I entered.. then they told me that they were not going my cele( first time I knew that we had two cele bus stop in lagos) But by then...they had already covered half of the journey..So the conductor gave me back 100 naira..

where they stopped me..when I asked how much was cele from there, they said 400..and I was with just 100 naira

so with my load(2 bags) I trekked and trekked and trekked and trekked(na dat day I know say Lagos jus small for map..e nor small for real life)
By the time I got past ogudu, I was already tired and weak but because I didn't want to beg..I continued mostly in desperation hoping if I could reach oshodi by foot...My problems would be half solved ..But oshodi seemed very far..when I asked how much for oshodi from where I was , it was still way above the money with me

Then I became very frustrated and had to do what I hated doing..BEG

Then I met one woman and explained my plight to her .. To my surprise..she gave me the money..I was very grateful to her(God will continue to bless that woman wherever she is)

Then immediately I boarded a bus and I got to cele...then from there I just trekked it to my house in okota...

Since then..I've made a vow not to enter uniben SUG bus and never to embark on a transport without holding at least 1000

But I don break all the vows sha cheesy grin
bro na my side be that...I dey Dada Aghedo
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by EmekaBlue(m): 9:55pm On Apr 26, 2020
Yeah

My first trip to china years ago via Ethiopian airline, i forgot to set my wrist watch time and was using Nigerian time when i arrived Ethiopia on transit

I stayed at addis ababa airport chilling with beer and waiting for the transit flight. To my greatest surprise when i used my 9ja time to board the transit flight, they told me my flight left 1hour ago.

Omo i was so shocked and confused, but they told me i could get a visa to lodge and explore the country then come back the next night and join another Ethiopian airline flight for free.

This turned out to be one of my best experience because with only 100usd total for the visa free and exploring the town, i slept with 2 very beautiful Ethiopian olosho that night, they treated me perfectly as i have always dreamt of 3some, they allowed me smooch them d way i wished and do whatever i like unlike 9ja yeye olosho wey go dey give u conditions.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Joecristiano7(m): 9:55pm On Apr 26, 2020
My own stranded na different kind of stranded. I was travelling back home in a delta line bus, when serious shit begin catch me. I dey near window, but d way I con dey sweat ehh..
Na once I begin dey admire bush grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by flokii: 9:55pm On Apr 26, 2020
Whenever I'm travelling by road, I make sure I have nothing less than 5k on me with my ATM card (cashless).. whereas if it's by flight, I don't bother
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by finalboss(m): 9:56pm On Apr 26, 2020

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by shortgun(m): 9:57pm On Apr 26, 2020
Thread for unserious people. angry
How can you start a journey without proper planning.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Mutemenot(m): 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
Traveling to abj, the vehicle left late and Okene traffic added it's own nightmare . Getting to Abj it was already late and the route the driver took was a very strange one as I wasn't familiar with Abj. As baba may have it, a very good hearted man and his mother who were in the same vehicles practically based in Abu opted to help me. It was raining heavily, everywhere became clouded and almost no visibility . Menh it was a game of the heart, I chooses to follow them to put me through . We took taxi to their home first cos i can't get a vehicle to my direction at that point. We arrived their home, they welcomed me and treated me nicely, their younger sister after offering me food ( which I rejected) drove me to a nearby junction where I got a vehicle to my destination.
Well, I saved their contact waiting for a very good day to surprise them with appreciation .

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by KingAzubuike(f): 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
braine:
I once travelled to Ede in Osun State.

Left Lagos late and got to the park around 12am. The person I was going to meet probably slept off it something. So I was just there. How can you sleep off when someone is coming to a State for the first time? I was pissed.

Anyway, I eventual met a good samaritan who took me in, fed me, provided where I slept, in their own little way. I was grateful. There are good people in this world.

My worse fear is going to visit someone in a state you've never been to. You get there and you call him to come and pick you up only to find out his phone is switched off. Once went to Zaria and similar thing happened. Got there late in the night around past 11pm. I somehow managed to remember the address he had told me the previous day. Then I stopped a bike and boarded. That was the longest ride of my life coz the bikeman kept riding through bushes and deserted areas. I kept asking weytin dey sup luckily he understood English and he said "we go soon reach". Everytime "we go soon reach". My heart started pounding I began to fear I was gonna be used for rituals. Different thoughts ran through my head and I even considered jumping off the bike at some point but I excercised patience coz even if I jump where I wan run go, where I wan sleep. After about 20 long minutes, I got to the destination but not the final destination. The idiots phone was still off. Few minutes later he used another number to call asking where I was. No be small para I para for am o. When he came he started begging me that his phone died and he couldn't charge. How can someone be coming to visit you from Lagos and your phone will die down. People can be funny at times.

18 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by idonhammer: 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
The people above me una stranded dey learn work for the stranded wey I don see before i come Hammer Las Las.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
i once was traveling from Tokyo to Paris with Aeroflot (aka via Moscow)....the plane got delayed in Tokyo and we missed the connection in Moscow so we had to stay in the airport for roughly 17hrs.... from 6pm til next day. the majority of people on the plane were stranded at the airport and we couldnt leave the airport transit area (as we needed a visa to get out the airport)....but lucky for us, there was a transit hotel in Moscow airport where people in transit could go and sleep. so they gathered all of the stranded people in one area of the airport (about 200 people) and then the lady in military gear told us:" ladies and gentlemen, we have about 40 rooms available but there is too many of you, so we are going to do an auction and the winners get the rooms"..... bare in mind the room price was about $75 or some silly price like that... so the auction started... "who will pay 75$?!" everyone raised their hands, "who will pay 100?" still too many people...then it went on..."$150?"..."$200?"... at this point, some people started plotting to get a room together and sleep on the floor etc.... when the price reached $300 and there were still too many people for not enough room, i jejely took my bag and went to find a nice comfy bench at the airport to sleep on, until the next day.

the lady told us:"here in Moscow our salary is around 50/100 dollars monthly so all the extra money for the rooms will be for them (as each room only cost $75)"

the craziest part was that, in that same transit area, there were Africans/Asians/Arabs stranded there for MONTHS.... people who landed there and asked for asylum, and when they were refused entry, they had no money to pay for return flights so they were stuck at the airport transit area begging travelers for money for food etc.

19 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Kalaba(m): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2020
l was a serving corps member during the 2019 general election. On that Friday before the election, the posting came out around 2pm, I serve in abeokuta but was posted to ijebu north in ogun state. ordinarily from abeokuta to ijebu north shouldn't be more than 1½hrs. copers where much, struggling to enter the different buses provided, till 6:30pm no more free buses, corpers still much, shit. I had only 1k with me, I rushed down to the ATMs close by, either it's not dispensing, or the que is something else. one of my colleague I was with was like 'Chelcy, I don tire abeg, am not going again', I pleaded with her to be patient a bit, you know we are in this for the experience, let's push further. I called the other corpers from my lodge, they said they were already at kuto park, that I should be fast. the lady said she's with 5k, I said alright make we go. we entered a cab to kuto, called my guy, he directed me to the bus ( a sienna) it needed just 2 Passengers to complete, here I am with my friend, we paid 1.2k each, and the journey began exactly 7:34pm the night of 15th Feb, 2019.
to be continued...

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by aieromon(m): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2020
Mine happened sometime in the year 2000 when I decided to go and visit a friend. Those were the times where you were led by the spirit to make long journeys and a 50% chance of not meeting the person at home. I had enough money to make the trip from Abule Egba to Masha Estate and my plan was to get the return transport money from my friend who I went to visit. My village People scored a hit and I didn't meet my friend. I only met his grandmother and I felt too big to beg her for money. I waited until 5pm and when it was clear that this dude was working in collaboration with my village People, I decided to brave the odds and hit the road with my last ₦50. I trekked from Masha to Stadium and entered molue to Iyana Ipaja with my last card. I got down at Iyana Ipaja and trekked to NYSC camp to beg another friend for help to cover the rest of the trip.

My village People were already waiting for me there. I didn't meet my friend but his younger sister. Men, this time I was forced to beg for money and luckily, she went into the flat and came back with ₦20. I thanked her profusely, trekked back to Iyana Ipaja under bridge and continued the rest of my journey.

It wasn't a nice experience at all.

11 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Businext: 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2020
Where do I start from shocked
I've been stranded just by headbridge from Onitsha to Asaba 10.30pm
I've been stranded in Okene on my way to Abuja 2.30pm
I've been stranded along Benin-Ore road on my way to Benin 5pm
I've been stranded before MM Bridge in Lokoja on my way to Abuja 11.30pm shocked
I've been stranded in Oshodi on my way to Gbagada 7pm
I've been stranded by Opic on my way to Benin 11am
I've been stranded by Basiri, Ado-Ekiti on my way to Ibadan 1pm
cheesy grin oh boy oh girl I'm just being modest in my list, wetin my eye don see eh
Or is it in Warri, Enugu, Ilorin, Sokoto, Jos
I beg... then you said I won't worship God and be humble? I must worship God and be humble.
I love God I didn't put myself in position to be stranded, okay except two or three instances above tongue but God saved and kept me, showed me great favour, I got to my destinations safe and sound.
But I've changed

#TeamTravelEarly
#TravelPrepared
#ListenToTheHolySpirit

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Yoyostic: 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2020
Hmm,I was a student in Owerri and wanted to visit home in the middle belt.A friend of mine who also is from the same state told me I could get vehicle from onitsha at any time to my state.So I went to the Imo state transport company (forgotten the name) and boarded a bus to Onitsha.On getting there,didn't know where to see vehicle going towards my state.Waited for several hours and had to jump on Enugu vehicle instead.I stopped at ninth mile,this was around 5: pm.

Another nightmare began,flagged down vehicles upon vehicle to no avail,didn't have a phone as at then and my peeps didn't know I was traveling down.I didn't know anywhere or anyone at ninth mile either.Time was ticking faster,from 5pm till at about 8pm,I was still by the roadside.I began another trip to Branch and got there around 9:30 pm or so.Few vehicles were in site, fortunately I saw some men going to Ayangba and begged to join them, hopefully I might be lucky to see a vehicle that will take me to Lokoja.If there was another definition for fear,it was me.I said all the prayers I knew,hmm, what if these men should rape me?what if there were even ritualist?Who sent me?.

We got to Ayangba around 10pm or there about,the streets were deserted ,e don be for me!But the kind hearted men chose one of them to take me home,hmmm,I kuku Don say my last prayer na,God na your hand I dey!
This man took me to his house, you can imagine my relief to meet his young pregnant wife.He vacated the room for me and his wife,saw me off to the roadside the following morning to take a vehicle,that was how I finally arrived at my destination.Indeed,angels do exists.

16 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 26, 2020
shakushakuist:
Stranded in my own compound as we speak. We all are

grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I525KtbupI

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by fullblast(m): 10:07pm On Apr 26, 2020
I was traveling from the Ibadan to Umuahia, year 2003 to be precise. The journey in the 504 station wagon was in 2 phases. The 1st phase ended in onitsha while I will enter another vehicle onwards Umuahia.

From the start of the journey, I had an engaging conversation with another passenger as if I knew him from Adam. It's a very good thing to prudently make friends where ever u find yourself. This new friend will eventually be my saviour.

By the time we got to onitsha, I realized that I had lost my wallet full of money except for the little change collected after buying gala n drinks. How I lost it, I can't explain.

For those that know upper iweka, onitsha, if you are stranded and end up in this beehive for hoodlums, Walahi!, u go cry.
My new friend noticed that I was sweating profusely when I couldn't find my wallet so he offered to pay my Tfare from onitsha to Umuahia without asking him.
That was when he told me that he was a first timer to the town. I was so happy to escort him down to the doorstep of his destination to show my very deep appreciation before heading to my house.
That was the last time I set my eyes on him.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 26, 2020
nautybride:
Yes. Gave my boyfriend the last cash on me thinking I would be okay. We parted ways, only for me to hear a hike in price. I just dropped at where my last card reach. I walked the remaining. I will never do that again. I trek tire.
Modified;
We were both going home from school. I dropped at my own state, he continued to his.
best signature on nairaland to me o, i like ur signature.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Fidelismaria: 10:10pm On Apr 26, 2020
This thread go sweet

Make I book space

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by gbengaoyeladun(m): 10:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
Chai.....I can't talk ...because I trek that day ehn....the walking is still affecting me till today

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
I was stranded in Abuja in 2009 because GTB ATM card refused to work.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
weedfada:
Never! I'm tha type of dude that'll take extra cash even if I'm goin to buy groundnut... just in case... I like knowing I'm covered in case of d unknown.
my type,if am going to a journey of 45min if I don't own 3-5k extra and another spare money in my Atm card ,i no dey go

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Accident Kills A Woman Travelling With Her 2 Kids In Niger State (Disturbing Pic / Petrol Tanker Explosion In Okene, Kogi State (Photos, Video) / 5 Passengers Dead Including A Baby After Danfo Bursts Into Flames In Lagos.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.