Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,971 members, 7,814,288 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? (28064 Views)

Female Corper Burnt After In Motor Accident While Travelling. Graphic Photos / Imagine This Is Lagos And You've Been Stranded For Hours, What Would You Do(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Collegenews: 9:48am On Apr 25, 2020
As the title says, have you ever been stranded while travelling especially due to lack of fund?
I had similar experience once, I was travelling from Abuja to Lagos 2015 and I had just #800 on me.

I took a bike to Federal college of education, Zuba. Trekked down the road and waited for like four hours looking for a free lift.

After the prolonged exposure to the scorching son, an old man in his say 60s driving a pick up truck loaded with food stuff finally slowed down to pick some passengers, I lied down flat on the road to beg him not even minding the other passengers there. I told him my plight and he had pity on me.

That was how he dropped me at Ojota and I found my square root.

I was left with #220 after I got home.

Share your experience.

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Etinosa1234: 7:34pm On Apr 25, 2020
I don't really like typing stories but lemme say this

I think this one happened last year..At the end of our first semester exams, I wanted to return back to Lagos... Instead of following reputable transport companies like iyare, God is good and the likes.. I decided to follow SUG bus because it was very cheap(half the price I'm supposed to pay if I followed God is good and the likes)

But the main reason I followed the bus was because I had used most of my fare and by the time I had paid, I had only 200 naira with me

So when the bus (SUG) came to meet us at Hall 2 car park..it was very bad..... from looking at it ..one can suspect that this bus would have so many faults but I and the other passengers didn't care. We were all concerned on getting home..

So we paid and did all the necessary before the bus started it's journey.

The Journey became a nightmare after we got past ore. Suddenly the driver just stopped the bus and told us that there was a fault in the bus and that we should all come down..After a few grumbling from all of us, we all came down. Then the driver told us to be walking to the front that he'll meet us along the way. That period was fun as due to the fact that almost all of us were students, we all chatted with ourselves and made fun of the driver (behind his back tho). Then the bus met us on the way and we all entered.

But immediately we got past sagamu, The driver started complaining about the bus that it had a lot of faults and that he'll not be able to carry us to our final destination.. This thing infuriated most of us and we were all shouting at the driver that he should refund part of the money so that we'll be able to get another transport to our place . But the driver was adamant. He refused to give us anything at all claiming he didn't have any money on him.

After everything ..He was able to successfully carry us into Lagos..then he stopped us at ojota.... saying that his brake pads has spoilt and he can't afford to continue the journey.. After all the pleading, he refused to give us part of our money..

We all came down...

Then it dawned on me that I had just 200 naira on me ..and where I was going was still miles ahead(I was Going to cele)

So while other passengers were getting buses to go their various places..I was jus standing , hoping my dad would come and rescue me(that one just tell me that if I lost..e nor concern am)
After waiting for too long..I found a bus that was going to a different cele and I entered.. then they told me that they were not going my cele( first time I knew that we had two cele bus stop in lagos) But by then...they had already covered half of the journey..So the conductor gave me back 100 naira..

where they stopped me..when I asked how much was cele from there, they said 400..and I was with just 100 naira

so with my load(2 bags) I trekked and trekked and trekked and trekked(na dat day I know say Lagos jus small for map..e nor small for real life)
By the time I got past ogudu, I was already tired and weak but because I didn't want to beg..I continued mostly in desperation hoping if I could reach oshodi by foot...My problems would be half solved ..But oshodi seemed very far..when I asked how much for oshodi from where I was , it was still way above the money with me

Then I became very frustrated and had to do what I hated doing..BEG

Then I met one woman and explained my plight to her .. To my surprise..she gave me the money..I was very grateful to her(God will continue to bless that woman wherever she is)

Then immediately I boarded a bus and I got to cele...then from there I just trekked it to my house in okota...

Since then..I've made a vow not to enter uniben SUG bus and never to embark on a transport without holding at least 1000

But I don break all the vows sha cheesy grin

381 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Collegenews: 6:08am On Apr 26, 2020
Etinosa1234

Baba that driver no try for you. grin grin
You come even miss your road again. grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Etinosa1234: 8:40am On Apr 26, 2020
Collegenews:
Etinosa1234

Baba that driver no try for you. grin grin
You come even miss your road again. grin grin

Since that day... anytime I see that bus...I flee

I come dey reason my life that period sey...if dat woman nor give me the money...
My parents for don dey find me... because the wey I for lost ehnn...only God go save me

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
Traveled to Ibadan From Benin to get my Waec Certificate for final clearance and was to return same day, was at Ore by past 11, no be small student midnight waka, lol; the rest they say is history.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Alwaysachick: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
Etinosa 1234 we have same location, so my case was I served in a very remote area. During our last visit to town, I withdrew the money i thought would take care of my fare to Lag. Only to get to the park because of the muslim celebration, the fares tripled. And no longer a direct bus i had to make 2 stops with hiked transport fares. I almost cried.I had no snack thank God I'm not used to eating while traveling. It was a restless journey for me considering what was ahead, I was stranded. But onlike Etinosa 1234 cheesy I already did my calculation from OJota to Cele then to my house, I had to summon courage to beg. So i threw my pride and made up my mind to ask some people seating close to me in the bus. I first asked the lady sitting beside me, lucliky She didn't hesitate she asked how much, I told her 500 and she gave me the money. I thanked her till the end of the journey.

One can't be too careful always although I learnt something, if you have, help anyone in need.

Well I've once helped a stranded person in a bus on my way to write post utme. He sat close to me, i noticed he didnt eat anything, i asked why he said he doesnt have any cash on him asides his tp back to lag. Out of pity, i got him snacks and drink. We arrived late thanks to evil peace mass transit(death trap). The guys' supposed friend wasn't picking his call. So when my aunt came to pick me, I begged her to allow him stay. My aunt is a police woman so she allowed him without fear.

Good deeds always finds us

112 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by oluwaseyi0: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
Mine was not during travel, it was my first day of starting my IT at UBA head office 2015, I went to work with my last card no means to come back home I can't ask the people at work/department as it's my first day of a one year program, with my new bank ID card I beg someone outside the gate from another department/floor I don't know, she ignored me initially but gave in when I reluctantly show her my ID

How I survived that month was a miracle

That's why sometimes I feel pity for the abled people who beg for money even in suit you never know (temporal) condition of some

127 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Astrologyfact: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by ITbomb(m): 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
Way back 2006, I came to PH from Owerri to submit a scholarship form and see a relative

After submission, I called the man, he told me he was at work and will call me back when he closes so that we go home together.
With no phone, I was stuck with a call girl as my only communication with the man.
From 3pm (after reassuring calls at intervals you talk for 10 secs and pay 1 min) , I hung around the town till 8pm when his line switched off, the call girls then were folding their umbrellas to close for the day.
I had to use last money to pay for night browsing just to be at a safe place, I browse for an hour and doze off..
Early morning, I began begging and raise enough trans. I didn't bother calling the man again

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Ekakamba: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020

I remembered when I was traveling to Climax with Ebele having just #200 on me. There was downpour and the express was wet, I mean so wet. I had to pull over to get a raincoat because we were doing 200kmph and there is a high tendency that I'll skid off the express and head straight to the bushy porch.

I wore my raincoat immediately I sensed danger and before I knew it, I was off the slippery express and stucked in the bushy muddy porch. I kept on maneuvering going back & forth with no result, Ebele kept on smiling and complimenting my driving skills.

After some minutes, I was outta the porch with a flat tyre. It was drizzling this time and the express still wet. We looked for a vulcaniser to inflate my tyre so that we can continue our journey but didn't find any.

That was how Ebele begged and encouraged me to do a 40kmph, we all reached Climax the next day.

grin tongue

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Drenimarcus(m): 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
yes
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Onnasucs1(m): 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
No.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
Lol, after NYSC Camp POP (Wanune, Benue State) at about 2-3pm, I was redeployed to Akwa-Ibom State. I just couldn't wait to leave the state and get to AKS, my friends told me to chill, that we will all travel the next day through the normal route (Benue - Enugu - Anambra - Imo - Abia - AkwaIbom), Omo na so I check my Google map, and I saw it was only Cross River state was in-between the two states. Taa, I told myself I will make it through. (Worst mistake).
Na so I go park, I saw only one cab going to Odupkani or so (can't really remember the name of that local government), the driver said I'd get a bus going to Calabar, and from there I will see a bus going to Uyo. My brothers and sisters, I didn't know I was on a long thing... We go to our destination Odupkani around 11pm oboy, as I got to the park it was just remaining one chance, and before I could say jack, someone jumped in... Choiii, another 18 seater come position.... Omo I just weak.
I had to call a friend serving in that location, he directed me to his lodge, got there around 12am. The next day, na so the real trip start. Finally got to Akwa-Ibom state around 1pm, partially because of bad road... This was around 2013.
Since then, I swore to always ask proper questions before embarking on trips, especially through places I'm not familiar with.

39 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Moventist: 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
I was stranded in 2015 when I was traveling for NYSC from Abuja to Port Harcourt

We went through a long route from Abuja-Ajakuta to Enugu through Aba and arrived PH at 12 a.m

I wasn't having enough money to transport myself to my PPA but met a good Samaritan from Benue who accommodated me for the night in his house and provided breakfast the following morning

He was so nice that he gave me some money to transport myself to locate a nearby bank

His wife and child with his younger brother treated me as if I am one of their relative

After my NYSC , I got a job in PH and time to time I do pay them visit

Good people still exist in this country

225 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by tolexy007(m): 9:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
g
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by PrincessB1(f): 9:28pm On Apr 26, 2020
Let's wait for others cool

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 26, 2020
Am just here to read comments grin

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by braine(m): 9:28pm On Apr 26, 2020
I once travelled to Ede in Osun State.

Left Lagos late and got to the park around 12am. The person I was going to meet probably slept off or something. So I was just there, stranded in a strange land. How can you sleep off when someone is coming to a State for the first time? I was pissed.

Anyway, I eventually met a good samaritan who took me in, fed me, provided where I slept, in their own little way. I am grateful. There are good people in this world.
I couldnt imagine myself sleeping outside a place I've never been to before.

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 26, 2020
I can't be stranded..

With public transport change bus and continue my Journey..

If worse come to worse look for hotel to Lodge.

There are things that are not worth arguing on a serious note.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by sureteeboy(m): 9:29pm On Apr 26, 2020
I've been stranded once. But it wasn't due to money issues though.
During my NYSC days, I was posted to Benue State, but I do stay with my brother in Onitsha. Then I got a call one fateful day that clearance has been scheduled for the following day.
I had to hurriedly leave for the park that afternoon to get a bus going to Obollo Afor in Enugu, from where I could get a bus going to Benue. Unfortunately, I went to the wrong park and the bus took a whole lot of time before getting filled up. We left Onitsha some minutes after 5pm and the bus driver had to take one long route again.
To cut the story short, I got to ObolloAfor in Enugu around 8:30pm and there was no bus going to Benue again. Considering the fact that it will still take almost 3 to 4 hours to get to Makurdi from that place, and I must at least enter Benue State that night if I want to stand any chance of meeting the clearance by 7am the following day, I already knew there's a serious problem

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Biglittlelois(f): 9:29pm On Apr 26, 2020
That can never happen to me cos I hate traveling, I can stay in a state for ten years without traveling anywhere.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by leonard002(m): 9:29pm On Apr 26, 2020
Well, it's funny you asked because I have quite a handful of experiences. Most of which happened during my quest for medical internship.

The first was when I went to Calabar. The internship exam was at UCTH the next day. I took transport from my state without knowing anyone or budgeting for a hotel to sleep. Recent graduate... Where u see money for hotel... lol.

Anyway, it was a 6 hour plus journey. We arrived at Calabar in the evening, and it was getting late. We were still on the bus heading towards the park when I kept wondering what I would do. As we were driving past, I saw a building with the label: UCTH medical students hostel. I told the driver to stop me there.

I came down and met the first guy I saw. I told him that I was to write the internship exam the next day and I didn't have anywhere to sleep. He told me to wait let him call the hostel president. The hostel president came and asked me to show my ID card, license, and other documents. I did and he accommodated me in his room for two days. Very good guy. His name is Frank.

SECOND EXPERIENCE

The same internship travails, lol. Anyway, this time was in Delta state... Warri to be precise. Normally, I've heard about this city, so I was super cautious. I didn't have money for a hotel and didn't know anyone or have anywhere to sleep as usual.

So, when I got to the city, at the park, I asked for a cheap hotel for like 3k or less. They said they don't know of any, that I should get to Effurun roundabout. Hmm. When I got there I met another good guy, Stephen. He sells eyeglasses. I told him what happened and that I needed a hotel to spend the night if he knows any. He said he stays in the barracks and those hotels inside there were like N1,500 or thereabout per night. I said great.

So after the close of work, he took me there and during the trip he was like, my brother, instead of wasting your money, why not spend the night at my place. I was happy. Very good guy. He allowed me to sleep on the bed while he slept on the floor. God bless you Stephen

I HAVE MORE, but let's do with this for now... grin

I took risks sha those times.

I wrote about my experiences in my book titled 'PREPOSTEROUS', if you would be interested in reading. Send me a PM.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by DriggityDre: 9:30pm On Apr 26, 2020
My first visit to the US. Lol.
I was looking for a cab but I couldn't find any. After about 3 hours, someone directed me to the waiting section.
Naivety grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by nautybride: 9:30pm On Apr 26, 2020
Yes. Gave my boyfriend the last cash on me thinking I would be okay. We parted ways, only for me to hear a hike in price. I just dropped at where my last card reach. I walked the remaining. I will never do that again. I trek tire.
Modified;
We were both going home from school. I dropped at my own state, he continued to his.

22 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by talk2hb1(m): 9:30pm On Apr 26, 2020
Yep
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Kelvinprinzyy(m): 9:30pm On Apr 26, 2020
Never had any experienced that will result to begging, but I once trekked from Oshodi to Ejigbo

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by kennosklint(m): 9:31pm On Apr 26, 2020
Buhari
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Sonnobax15(m): 9:31pm On Apr 26, 2020
cry Yeah..that was back then in 2016...i left my bunk in warri for a creek in lagos(though i didn't know initially)..
i wasn't only stranded on the way but the most painful part of my experience was that "a typical yoruba man won't give you the actual direction to your destination but mislead you into the hands of hoodlums"

since warri no dey carry last,na once i call my bro wey i find go eko-"oshare abeg come pick me up b4 something else go stitch me up".

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Qatar 5 Years Working Visa - A Deception, A Big Fraud! / Amaechi Inspects Ajaokuta- Itakpe Warri Rail Line (Pictures) / Accident Kills A Woman Travelling With Her 2 Kids In Niger State (Disturbing Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.