Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,703 members, 7,820,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? (28095 Views)

Female Corper Burnt After In Motor Accident While Travelling. Graphic Photos / Have You Ever Been Stranded While Traveling? Share Your Experiences. / Imagine This Is Lagos And You've Been Stranded For Hours, What Would You Do(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by GerraMeh74(m): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2020
My funny story!!!I went to get my statement of result that year from school in preparation for NYSC so I was going back from Onitsha to Jos I boarded a night Bus, GUO to be precise,after paying for the bus all I had left was 200naira bike money to the house from the park. Journey started everything was going smoothly not until we got to Alaide in Benue State around 1am, motor just off e no gree start again, driver, conductor, mechanic did all they could lie lie motor no gree start again!!! I had only 200 naira and you can't tell driver to refund you because you bought ticket directly from the office. As we were waiting now, other passengers started entering other buses that were passing,1k for attachment to Jos,i begged my co passengers nobody gree believe, I beg conductors of other busses nobody believed me. Chai to be man no easy!!! We had to sleep inside this Alaide thick bush until morning,i now got a man I begged when we got to Markurdi town I now took the small money my guy sent me and paid him! Since then once I no get enough money I no fit enter road!.

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Ojukwubucket(m): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2020
Kelvinprinzyy:
Never had any experienced that will result to begging, but I once trekked from Oshodi to Ejigbo
Bros r u from Kenya?..
Or u promised to trek for Buhari if he won his election? grin

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2020
Mhyketh:
mine is within Lagos State, I was coming from Ilupeju going to okokomaiko. that faithful day from Ilupeju I was suppose to collect money from an uncle to use for transport fare back home but I didn't meet him at home, so I was at Orile with just 100 naira and I still have to get to ajangbadi at okoko. at Orile I decided to beg any conductor that I don't have money dat they should help me to mile 2, so from mile 2 I'll just use 100 naira to iyana iba, then trek from iyanaba home, since it'll be close for me, but for where, all dis Lagos conductor don't have joy, come and see me weak and frustrated and it was getting late, but God was faithful I saw someone I knew(a bus conductor) he carried me free from Orile to okokomaiko, chai happiness filled my heart, but instead of me to use 100 naira to my house, I still trekked home and kept the 100naira, crazy day sha.
hmm,i guess u still small then?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by McMayor(m): 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2020
Mine happened in year 2010. I went to visit a friend in Benue state(Otukpo). I board flight landed in Enugu then another 2hrs road trip to my destination. It was a round trip. On the day I was supposed to head back to lagos... I had #7000 I paid cab guy that took me from Otukpo to Enugu Airport I think #3500. I had #3500 left but there was robbery along the way which delayed my journey,... long story short, I missed my flight. I was told by Aero that I would have to wait till the next day for another flight or I would have to make it to Owerri to catch another flight. I boarded bus headed Owerri. Enugu to Owerri I think its about 2hrs trip but bus broke down, I spent 3hrs. I saw the plane took off. I just felt sorry for myself. I asked around if I could book a new flight that would leave same day, I was told... That was the last flight for that day. But I needed to get to Lagos that day. I had to board bus which I 8 doing when traveling long distance. Ok I swallowed my pride, I boarded executive bus. I bought a pack of Gulder I sha started drinking. The drink was causing me to pee which I kept stopping the driver just as we got to ore, I told driver I wanted to pee... Guess what? Driver drove off!!!! God . But I had just #500 on me as cash. God, what am I going to do? I have to get to lagos that same day. I boarded bus headed to ijebu Ode i trekked from ijebu Ode Express to Ibadan garage before i could get a working ATM machine. Ok I got enough cash but they said last bus already left for lagos. Infact I was just about crying but this small car came shouting lagos lagos... The way I got into it, till today I dont even understand. I sha got to Beger almost 12am.

23 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 26, 2020
I have four experiences, let me share one.

I travelled from Benin to Ado Ekiti and returned to Akure the same day. When I was to return the following day to Benin, I was having only #510 on me. Getting to the garage, I was told the fare to Benin is #500 so I was left with #10.

As our vehicle approached Sobe, an elderly man came out of the bush suddenly on his bicycle. The next thing I saw was blood on the face of a military man seated beside me.

The driver had to take the man to a nearby hospital since he was still breathing.

Everyone began to leave with other vehicles. I thought of what to do but nothing in the rain came to my mind.

I then decided to help a woman with her bags of garri to a safe place from the rain.

When she saw that I didn't leave with others she asked what the problem was and I told her I only have #10 on me.

She then said she would pay for me if any vehicle will take the remaining money in her hand for herself, her load and me. Luckily, we got one.

Na so I trek from UNIBEN to my house at textile Mill road.

11 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by JOSHLIGHT: 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2020
Hmm, mine was during school days @ poly nekede, school has closed, papa sent me 5k to travel back Lagos, had to stay back in school and fixed some things, two days later was set to travel to LAG, inside the 5k had 4k left after I spent extra 2 days at school before I travel to Lagos, went to ITC, imo transport company @ ikenegbu, from that 4k spent 200 to transport to park left with 3800 to go Lagos with, paid the t fare of 3500 with high hope that according to the bus driver that the final bustop is at alaba which is trekeable home, after paying t fare of 3500 was left with 300 hundred naira!! no food, just get water 50 along the way, bus stop for people to eat, was just looking at people eating and buying different eatables, later we Journey off to Lagos, getting to Ojota the driver said this his last bus stop he received a call from mgt.. na beg every student they beg, the driver had to carry us to oshodi came down off the engine saying this their last bustop, nd were am going needs about 700 naira to complete the journey, we beg tire no way, all I have left 250 naira.. hmm the rest is pathetic..

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Tatashi: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2020
Boarded God is good.to be honest that stupid transport is living on past glory.first we had to wait for the pilot (na pilot dem dey call their drivers) for over 2hours and he told the controllers that he had missed his way to the terminal and he was on his way.we were meant to depart 7:30/8:00 but left abj to owerri by 10/11.the way this man was driving ehn.he entered every fuckn pot hole and na women full bus so you can imagine the shouts.just thick bushes before uromi na so we hear ghuftxrztxyubbirzzrb Jesus Jesus holy ghost take control EHHHHH pilot sir,wetin happen Sir? Our bus lost control oh,thank God he managed to enter a bush path.Our Car engine packed up!

I learnt something from my dad,he'd always warn us against travelling with plenty luggages.he'd advice u to carry just few things so if eventually the vehicle spoils u can easily abandon ship and move sharp sharp.that was my saving grace.the pilot called his terminal in uromi and they were forming bad network.where our bus spoilt we were told by on coming vehicles was a dangerous place for robbers.we begged for people to carry us NO WAY! time was not on our side.a group of police men on patrol later came and wr asking the pilot where he was coming from.

one was excited we were from abuja for very odd reasons and some of us became uneasy.they asked some of us where we worked and id cards and at that point the spirit of God asked me to pick my bag and get the hell out of that scene.the police guys were up to something.immediately we sighted an empty private bus (prolly going for a function in the east)it only had musical equipments loaded in it with some seats empty.as they got closer we all knelt down and were begging.

The private bus stopped! luckily they were headed for owerri and we all entered.it was pretty sad leaving our pilot behind as uromi terminal were not still picking their calls.we collected GIGM call centre numbers likewise the pilot's number to check up on him.

we had gone pass onitsha bridge (this was already getting very dark) and called our pilot to enquire if they had sent a towing vehicle for him and if he was alright.ladies and gentlemen OUR PILOT WAS STILL STRANDED RIGHT THERE ALL ALONE.we all cried for him like a family.our trip was so bad that passengers who were headed to ph had to sleep over in owerri because we arrived late. I havent crossed path with God is Good motors since that ugly incidence and i wont.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by ayandee: 10:24pm On Apr 26, 2020
While serving in Taraba, i was once stranded at Makurdi. I was travelling with Benue links bus from Lagos. My plan was to board another bus to Gboko when i got to Makurdi and from there, continue my journey toTakum in Taraba. We left Lagos early but we didnt get to Makurdi unti 9.pm. However, unknown to us, there was a curfew in Makurdi. No cars, no buses, no bike. I thought of passing the night at the NCCF lodge but with the curfew, there was no means of getting there.

I had never been so stranded. Everyone else seemed to know where to go as they carried their luggages and went in different directions. I just stood there. Then suddenly, one of the passengers who had gone a few mètres turned back and saw me. He asked 'sister why are you still there?". Then i told him straightaway that i was stranded and explained i was a corper heading for Taraba. Then he said in pidgin "And you no talk since. If i no look back nko?" He helped with the heavier bag, then made a call. Some minutes thereafter, à military bus arrived and we got in. He then explained he was a student at College of Engineering of the Nigerian Army(cant remember exactly the school's name but i saw College of Engineering at the gate).

We met his fiancé at the hostel. She was a very pleasant lady. I passed the night there. The following morning, he arranged for a bike to take me to the park. It's been many years ago (2007 i think) but still cant forget that act of kindness. That explains why if i see a soldier needing a lift, i would always stop.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by aieromon(m): 10:24pm On Apr 26, 2020
I had another experience in 2003 when I was returning back to UNIBEN for the new semester. My pops dropped me in Ohonba park, Abule Egba around 9am on a Sunday but the passenger traffic was pretty low. A guy and his fiancee drove into the park in a Jetta wagon and rubbed minds with the park officials. One of the park officials met me and said the guy was on his way to Benin and he needed 2 passengers to join him. A MOPOL and I quickly jumped in and we set out.

This bloody car broke down in Ojodu and we spent the whole day repairing the car. I couldn't go back home and explain to my people so I just sat down with them. Besides, I had a big travel bag and mattress in the car trunk and as far as I was concerned, going back home wasn't an option. The mechanic finally fixed the car and when it was time to pay the mechanic, the guy didn't have enough money on him as he had already used our bus fare to buy fuel. He begged me for money and I dropped the only money I had on me (₦4000) for him to complete the payment so we can head out.

We eventually left Berger by 4pm and the journey was smooth until the car got bad again somewhere before Ore around 6pm. Immediately, Oga MOPOL got down and removed his uniform, wrapped it in his sack bag, told us to leave the expressway asap and then bade us farewell leaving me with the guy and his fiancee grin

Three of us had no Kobo on us and the day was getting dark. A towing van parked beside us and offered to tow the vehicle to his village on credit grin. He also offered his room for us to pass the night even though I couldn't sleep because of the strange noises.

The next morning, this guy borrowed money from the tow van buddie for transport to Benin to bring his mechanic. They both came back around 1pm, worked on the car and we hit the road around 3pm. I finally got to Osasogie around 8pm (23 hours journey).

I used a month to shuttle between classes and draw my money from this guy.

Some people are not worth helping.

14 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Kalaba(m): 10:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
Kalaba:
We entered a cab to kuto, called my guy, he directed me to the bus ( a sienna) it needed just 2 Passengers to complete, here I am with my friend, we paid 1.2k each, and the journey began exactly 7:34pm the night of 15th Feb, 2019.
to be continued...
Driver told us we are going to Ijebu Igbo, we were confused, he said Ijebu North is known as Ijebu Igbo. journey continued, we got to Ijebu ode 9:30pm, the bus had problem, we spent 30mins fixing it, we got to somewhere that I don't even know the name, this time it was 11pm, the driver said he's not going again, that he is to go back to Lagos that night. we pleaded with him, while still there another bus carrying corpers passed us, so we started following that one, but due to our own bus can't maintain constant speed, we lost sight of the bus. finally we got to somewhere (I later understood it wasn't far from Ijebu Igbo junction), the driver dropped us there that he can't go further, that where we're going is very dangerous by this time. amongst us all, only one person understands and speaks Yoruba cos he grew up in ibadan. the driver directed that we should trek up and we will get another cab to take us to the nearest LGA Secretariat. by this time, it was around 12:40 or so. while we were trekking, we passed a shrine where the villagers were carrying out some rituals, as we kept trekking in the dark, at each junction we saw sacrifices. finally we saw a taxi, the driver agreed to take us to the INEC office for 200N each, the eight of us squizzed ourselves into the four sitter taxi, the man drove us to the INEC office with warning not to try that kind journey again. we got to the INEC office at exactly 1:10am, another of my friend called me from abeokuta that they are currently on their way to Ijebu with private car. after sorting ourselves out at the INEC office, another problem started. to be continued...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by izibili44: 10:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
where you dey among the crowd. i wan see your picture.
Collegenews:
As the title says, have you ever been stranded while travelling especially due to lack of fund?
I had similar experience once, I was travelling from Abuja to Lagos 2015 and I had just #800 on me.

I took a bike to Federal college of education, Zuba. Trekked down the road and waited for like four hours looking for a free lift.

After the prolonged exposure to the scorching son, an old man in his say 60s driving a pick up truck loaded with food stuff finally slowed down to pick some passengers, I lied down flat on the road to beg him not even minding the other passengers there. I told him my plight and he had pity on me.

That was how he dropped me at Ojota and I found my square root.

I was left with #220 after I got home.

Share your experience.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by NoLotty7(m): 10:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
As a Nigerian don't ever be stranded in Ghana either you travel down to stay permanent,visit or tourism.Because e no funny atall.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by annyberry: 10:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
Am a good customer with upper iweka,once d driver gets dere,dey always refuse to continue den i we end up sleeping in d bus den join d next one coming from either Lagos or abuja down to my destination d next day.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Teewai69: 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2020
Naughty you. You too raw Sha.
Ekakamba:

I remembered when I was traveling to Climax with Ebele having just #200 on me. There was downpour and the express was wet, I mean so wet. I had to pull over to get a raincoat because we were doing 200kmph and there is a high tendency that I'll skid off the express and head straight to the bushy porch.

I wore my raincoat immediately I sensed danger and before I knew it, I was off the slippery express and stucked in the bushy muddy porch. I kept on maneuvering going back & forth with no result, Ebele kept on smiling and complimenting my driving skills.

After some minutes, I was outta the porch with a flat tyre. It was drizzling this time and the express still wet. We looked for a vulcaniser to inflate my tyre so that we can continue our journey but didn't find any.

That was how Ebele begged and encouraged me to do a 40kmph, we all reached Climax the next day.

grin tongue
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 26, 2020
Ibfpleasant:
My first time of visiting Ibadan that I supposed to back to Lagos same day. I wanted to use ATM to withdraw the last money for transport back to Lagos.. naso Uba machine swallow my card. Make I no tell una the rest
u better no tell,i know say na suffering all through.worst scenero.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Bahamas95(m): 10:40pm On Apr 26, 2020
Ekakamba:

I remembered when I was traveling to Climax with Ebele having just #200 on me. There was downpour and the express was wet, I mean so wet. I had to pull over to get a raincoat because we were doing 200kmph and there is a high tendency that I'll skid off the express and head straight to the bushy porch.

I wore my raincoat immediately I sensed danger and before I knew it, I was off the slippery express and stucked in the bushy muddy porch. I kept on maneuvering going back & forth with no result, Ebele kept on smiling and complimenting my driving skills.

After some minutes, I was outta the porch with a flat tyre. It was drizzling this time and the express still wet. We looked for a vulcaniser to inflate my tyre so that we can continue our journey but didn't find any.

That was how Ebele begged and encouraged me to do a 40kmph, we all reached Climax the next day.

grin tongue
Bad guy!

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Olayinka777(m): 10:42pm On Apr 26, 2020
Collegenews:
As the title says, have you ever been stranded while travelling especially due to lack of fund?
I had similar experience once, I was travelling from Abuja to Lagos 2015 and I had just #800 on me.

I took a bike to Federal college of education, Zuba. Trekked down the road and waited for like four hours looking for a free lift.

After the prolonged exposure to the scorching son, an old man in his say 60s driving a pick up truck loaded with food stuff finally slowed down to pick some passengers, I lied down flat on the road to beg him not even minding the other passengers there. I told him my plight and he had pity on me.

That was how he dropped me at Ojota and I found my square root.

I was left with #220 after I got home.

Share your experience.
Chairman,I don't understand this your story. What time did u leave Abuja & what time did u arrive Lagos? I asked because u mentioned scorching sun.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Sniper101(m): 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
Ok, I've never been stranded as a result of insufficient funds, but, mehhhhnnnnn I've been stranded so many times

First was sometime around 2009 when I traveled all the way from Port Harcourt to Anambra, just to go be with a naughty Seminarian friend I met via 2go grin
We had planned that when I get to her School at Nkpor, she'll sneak out of the convent and we go Lodge in a nearby guest house. But on getting there, she couldn't come outta her school. I was just stranded and frustrated, I didn't know what to do since I know no one in that state. After so many considerations, I had to head back to Rivers State; got home by past 1am grin

Another time in 2011, after writing a Post UME in OAU, I just didn't feel like sleeping in that school's hostel(Awo Hall) again that day, so I decided to head back to Port Harcourt by around past 3pm(a terrible mistake that was).
I ended up being stranded at Toll Gate, Ore. Because I couldn't find any other vehicle going towards Port Harcourt from there, by past 1am. I had to pay and spend the night in a Restaurant there, to continue my journey in the morning.

The next year again, 2012, while still trying to get to Port Harcourt from Ile Ife, I got stranded somewhere in Delta State by around some minutes to 12am.
I had to ask a motorist where I was at the time, and on mentioning "Eneren Junction", I was immediately gripped with fear as I remembered the jokes Basket Mouth used to make about Eneren Junction being a notorious junction where thieves and pickpockets abound. Lol. I immediately stopped a Tricycle and asked to be taken to the nearest inter-state bus park.
The tricyclist took me to Agofure Park where I had about 3hrs of short sleep before it was morning and I went to buy a bus ticket to Port Harcourt.

...thinking back on it all, I'll say that these were all interesting and amusing experiences I had grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Realfrankie(m): 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I don't really like typing stories but lemme say this

I think this one happened last year..At the end of our first semester exams, I wanted to return back to Lagos... Instead of following reputable transport companies like iyare, God is good and the likes.. I decided to follow SUG bus because it was very cheap(half the price I'm supposed to pay if I followed God is good and the likes)

But the main reason I followed the bus was because I had used most of my fare and by the time I had paid, I had only 200 naira with me

So when the bus (SUG) came to meet us at Hall 2 car park..it was very bad..... from looking at it ..one can suspect that this bus would have so many faults but I and the other passengers didn't care. We were all concerned on getting home..

So we paid and did all the necessary before the bus started it's journey.

The Journey became a nightmare after we got past ore. Suddenly the driver just stopped the bus and told us that there was a fault in the bus and that we should all come down..After a few grumbling from all of us, we all came down. Then the driver told us to be walking to the front that he'll meet us along the way. That period was fun as due to the fact that almost all of us were students, we all chatted with ourselves and made fun of the driver (behind his back tho). Then the bus met us on the way and we all entered.

But immediately we got past sagamu, The driver started complaining about the bus that it had a lot of faults and that he'll not be able to carry us to our final destination.. This thing infuriated most of us and we were all shouting at the driver that he should refund part of the money so that we'll be able to get another transport to our place . But the driver was adamant. He refused to give us anything at all claiming he didn't have any money on him.

After everything ..He was able to successfully carry us into Lagos..then he stopped us at ojota.... saying that his brake pads has spoilt and he can't afford to continue the journey.. After all the pleading, he refused to give us part of our money..

We all came down...

Then it dawned on me that I had just 200 naira on me ..and where I was going was still miles ahead(I was Going to cele)

So while other passengers were getting buses to go their various places..I was jus standing , hoping my dad would come and rescue me(that one just tell me that if I lost..e nor concern am)
After waiting for too long..I found a bus that was going to a different cele and I entered.. then they told me that they were not going my cele( first time I knew that we had two cele bus stop in lagos) But by then...they had already covered half of the journey..So the conductor gave me back 100 naira..

where they stopped me..when I asked how much was cele from there, they said 400..and I was with just 100 naira

so with my load(2 bags) I trekked and trekked and trekked and trekked(na dat day I know say Lagos jus small for map..e nor small for real life)
By the time I got past ogudu, I was already tired and weak but because I didn't want to beg..I continued mostly in desperation hoping if I could reach oshodi by foot...My problems would be half solved ..But oshodi seemed very far..when I asked how much for oshodi from where I was , it was still way above the money with me

Then I became very frustrated and had to do what I hated doing..BEG

Then I met one woman and explained my plight to her .. To my surprise..she gave me the money..I was very grateful to her(God will continue to bless that woman wherever she is)

Then immediately I boarded a bus and I got to cele...then from there I just trekked it to my house in okota...

Since then..I've made a vow not to enter uniben SUG bus and never to embark on a transport without holding at least 1000

But I don break all the vows sha cheesy grin

E be no easy for you at all, this begging wey some people the take very common, for us na difficult something lol

No p na, I de Ago palace way off Alidada b/s
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Collegenews: 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2020
Olayinka777:

Chairman,I don't understand this your story. What time did u leave Abuja & what time did u arrive Lagos? I asked because u mentioned scorching sun.

Left Abuja around 4 Pm, got to lagos around 12PM the next day. The truck was kind of slow.

Is it clear now?
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Kalaba(m): 10:48pm On Apr 26, 2020
continue
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Emmatee1816(m): 10:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
I was in FUTA for my post time exam in 2012 or so....I can remember vividly how stranded I was when i was done with my papers and about to come back to Lagos.i was trying to reach out to my parents at home to send money for transport via bank transfer and sorts.but to my greatest surprise,2 random people (couple most likely) reached out to me and claimed they observed how distressed and troubled I appeared and rendered me the favour.God bear me witness,words can't describe that gesture they exhibited.but i wish I could repay them back but unfortunately, I don't recognise them.but if by any chance we cross path even through this forum I am willing 100% to repay back the favour cos I must admit that was MONUMENTAL kindness.

15 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Collegenews: 10:54pm On Apr 26, 2020
izibili44:
where you dey among the crowd. i wan see your picture.
Na me where that yellow bathroom slippers so. wink
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by kingsleyds(m): 11:04pm On Apr 26, 2020
Well mine wasn’t even as a result of money. It actually happened this year.. they really need to scrab this NYSC thing.

I am a corp member currently serving in Delta States. I redeployed from Kano state because of how far it was from where I live. Delta state wasn’t actually the state I wanted to redeploy to but it was okay for and it was actually close to Owerri ( only Asaba.. I never knew delta was very big). After my documentation as a relocated corper.. I saw my PPA letter and I was sent to Warri North LGA in a town called Koko.. I was even happy thinking that I was posted to Warri.. so I had to make a research on how to get to Koko from Owerri.. luckily for me, I had a friend serving in that same LGA and he told me to go with him since he was also going there for his monthly clearance the next day.. he asked me to meet him up at Onitsha. He actually told the place was far but I didn’t believe him.. I got to Onitsha by 10 am and by 11 am, we were already at Asaba. He told me we will see a bus going to Koko in koka junction in Asaba but when we got there, there was no bus going to Koko.. we had no option but to enter a bus going to Sapele. We left Asaba almost 12 noon and we spent more than 3 hours going to Sapele from Asaba.. we stop at Jesse junction. Got another bus going to Koko junction and from there to Koko town to meet my LGI, on getting there, it was pass 4:30 pm already and he told me he wasn’t going to attend to me that day and I should come back the next day. I had no option but to pay for an hotel.

The next day, I went to meet him around 11 am after preparing my medical report because I made up my mind I wasn’t going to serve in that town. I told him I had health issue and I can’t serve in a riverine and remote town. After pleading with him, he refused to reject my posting and told me to report to the school next week. I was so angry that fateful day. I left Koko town around 3:00 pm after seeing the principal of the school and discussing with her. Got to Koko Junction around 3:45 pm.. took another bus going to Benin bypass.. from there, took another bus going to Agbor bypass.. I got to Agbor bypass by probably 4:30-4:45 pm. From there, I got a bus going to Onitsha.. I remember getting to Onitsha by 7:25 pm.. Got to upperweka, and took a Sienna car heading to Owerri. We left Onitsha I think around 7:45 pm and we were still at Oba or so when the driver notice that is car temperature was rising.. he later found out that his car cooling fan wasn’t actually worker and it was an electrical issue.. the passenger became angry and started demanding for their money back but the driver has already settle Abegero and also bought fuel with part of the money. Most passengers started leaving and some of them started fighting with the driver.. after much much, I and another corp member was the only one left and he had no money to pay us but promise he will get us to Owerri. Well I tried finding another bus but it was difficult because it was so late.. we had no option but to stick with him.. after much, someone helped us to connect the cooling fan wire to the battery head and it started working again. We were set to go and we decided to top it more water. Can you believe this driver after topping the Radiator with water, he forgot to cover it up and eventually lost the cover.

We got to a destination and the car overheated again and that when we notice the radiator cover was missing.. I had to use my money to buy 1 bag of water because we couldn’t get water.. the later used a piece of rag to cover the radiator and the car kept overheating until we got to Ihiala.. By the time I checked my time, it was already 10:30 pm... then I started calling my mom to know if there was a suitable hotel in Ihiala I could spend the night.. I am actually from Ihiala.. well we passed Ihiala and was heading to mgbidi when the car overheated again and this time in the middle of nowhere.. I felt like dying because I was totally confused. This was already pass 11 pm. Luckily for us, we passed an Army Check point.. and when the military guys saw we were corpers.. they helped us stop incoming cars heading to Owerri.. that was how I join one private car till I got to Control in Owerri... I am so grateful to those Soldiers. Since it was Friday, everywhere was still very much busy and it wasn’t difficult for me getting home.

I will never forget this day. I got home pass 12:30 am

11 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Beolly(m): 11:11pm On Apr 26, 2020
Collegenews:
Etinosa1234

Baba that driver no try for you. grin grin
You come even miss your road again. grin grin
How did the driver not tried? him na JJC, The bus stopped at ojota, Traditionally most buses if not all buses coming to Lagos stops at either Berger or ojota except probably for company buses. He was careless how will you be traveling to Lagos and have just #200 naira with you and he has two bags o considering you know you might possibly get to Lagos during the rush hour when transport fare to any part of Lagos becomes double and you have just #200 with before embarking on the journey.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Beolly(m): 11:17pm On Apr 26, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I don't really like typing stories but lemme say this

I think this one happened last year..At the end of our first semester exams, I wanted to return back to Lagos... Instead of following reputable transport companies like iyare, God is good and the likes.. I decided to follow SUG bus because it was very cheap(half the price I'm supposed to pay if I followed God is good and the likes)

But the main reason I followed the bus was because I had used most of my fare and by the time I had paid, I had only 200 naira with me

So when the bus (SUG) came to meet us at Hall 2 car park..it was very bad..... from looking at it ..one can suspect that this bus would have so many faults but I and the other passengers didn't care. We were all concerned on getting home..

So we paid and did all the necessary before the bus started it's journey.

The Journey became a nightmare after we got past ore. Suddenly the driver just stopped the bus and told us that there was a fault in the bus and that we should all come down..After a few grumbling from all of us, we all came down. Then the driver told us to be walking to the front that he'll meet us along the way. That period was fun as due to the fact that almost all of us were students, we all chatted with ourselves and made fun of the driver (behind his back tho). Then the bus met us on the way and we all entered.

But immediately we got past sagamu, The driver started complaining about the bus that it had a lot of faults and that he'll not be able to carry us to our final destination.. This thing infuriated most of us and we were all shouting at the driver that he should refund part of the money so that we'll be able to get another transport to our place . But the driver was adamant. He refused to give us anything at all claiming he didn't have any money on him.

After everything ..He was able to successfully carry us into Lagos..then he stopped us at ojota.... saying that his brake pads has spoilt and he can't afford to continue the journey.. After all the pleading, he refused to give us part of our money..

We all came down...

Then it dawned on me that I had just 200 naira on me ..and where I was going was still miles ahead(I was Going to cele)

So while other passengers were getting buses to go their various places..I was jus standing , hoping my dad would come and rescue me(that one just tell me that if I lost..e nor concern am)
After waiting for too long..I found a bus that was going to a different cele and I entered.. then they told me that they were not going my cele( first time I knew that we had two cele bus stop in lagos) But by then...they had already covered half of the journey..So the conductor gave me back 100 naira..

where they stopped me..when I asked how much was cele from there, they said 400..and I was with just 100 naira

so with my load(2 bags) I trekked and trekked and trekked and trekked(na dat day I know say Lagos jus small for map..e nor small for real life)
By the time I got past ogudu, I was already tired and weak but because I didn't want to beg..I continued mostly in desperation hoping if I could reach oshodi by foot...My problems would be half solved ..But oshodi seemed very far..when I asked how much for oshodi from where I was , it was still way above the money with me

Then I became very frustrated and had to do what I hated doing..BEG

Then I met one woman and explained my plight to her .. To my surprise..she gave me the money..I was very grateful to her(God will continue to bless that woman wherever she is)

Then immediately I boarded a bus and I got to cele...then from there I just trekked it to my house in okota...

Since then..I've made a vow not to enter uniben SUG bus and never to embark on a transport without holding at least 1000

But I don break all the vows sha cheesy grin

I guess you are not a regular or first time traveler or you be jjc. The bus stopped at ojota, Traditionally most buses if not all buses coming to Lagos stops at either Berger or ojota except probably for company buses. How will you be traveling to Lagos and have just #200 naira with you and two luggage considering you know you might possibly get to Lagos during the rush hour when transport fare to any part of Lagos becomes double and every bus will demand you pay for your luggage and you have just #200 with before embarking on the journey.
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by okpalaAnambra: 11:18pm On Apr 26, 2020
StacyO:
It wasn't a funny experience at all, though it wasn't because of money.
The driver carrying me got to the destination quite late n I had to sleep in the same car with him.
That was when I knew that truely some married men have no shame.
I showed him his lane and I'm sure he'll never try that with just any lady he come across ever again.
#goodriddancetorubbish
What did the driver do
Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Gkemz: 11:22pm On Apr 26, 2020
That was in 2006 when I wrote my jamb in Imo state. I budgeted money that would take me thro and flo. When I arrived my center, I went straight to secure a seat which has candidate exam numbers written on each of them. Immediately it was time for exam to start with candidates getting seated, I checked for my seat to discover that it was being occupied by a candidate. I politely explained to her that the seat belonged to me which necessitated her to check her exam number carefully after which she checked mine and discovered that my centre number has 2 written which was mistaken as 7(the proper exam number for the center). Immediately she showed me the error, it dawned on me that I was at the wrong center. The proximity from the wrong center to my centre was so wide. The only money I had with me was 400 naira and this journey to my center would take about 800 to 1k as I was told. I had to beg this lady who managed to squeeze out 500naira and another guy who gave me 300. Luckily for me I saw only one motorcyclist that was about leaving the premises, He told me he would take me to my center for 600 naira with another passenger already waiting for him on the road. Without negotiating price because I was running late, I hurriedly jumped in and we zoomed off. After spending more than 20 minutes on the way, we finally arrived the venue for the exam. By then the first paper English which was served 30 minutes ago was remaining 5minutes to be submitted. Luckily for me all the subject were attached together with English. So I used the time allocated to answer the remaining 3 subjects to attempt 4 subjects. Surprisenly I finished before many other candidates who thought I was an impersonator because of how fast my writing was.
Thank God the result was outstanding when it was released.

10 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Danniedpastor(m): 11:25pm On Apr 26, 2020
As a young minister those days (a teenager). I went for a program and didn't finish early. I couldn't get a bus that night. I walked from Ajao estate Ikeja to my house at Orile Iganmu like. Got home to meet my worried parents at about 2AM. P

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by 15ssDRIVE(m): 11:26pm On Apr 26, 2020
that was 1996,I left Lagos for Oshogbo and everything went well. I left Oshogbo and arrived at OAU campus,then it was dawn on me that there is chaos in Ife.

By the time I arrived @ lagere if I am correct,everyone is running faster,than Usain Bolt.

Na so I see this cutie on Okada, she just holla at me,she said jump on this bike now! Without any egungun style,na so I jump on the bike. Was there for like 3 day’s,before they got me connected to someone who sneaked me out,to Ibadan.

Good tin is by the time I left that house,she was carrying a little angel already.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by pryingeyes(m): 11:31pm On Apr 26, 2020
I will advise that whenever anyone is stranded or still far from his or her destination at an unholy hour, such a fellow should look for church or Mosque that is keeping vigil.
And if you are short of t/fare, you should always beg people to put you on a bus going to your destination. People tend to respond that way faster than begging them for cash because they would see that you are not making business out of begging but rather you want to get to your destination by all means. Remember, it can happen to anybody at anytime and at any place.

11 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Stranded While Travelling? How Did It Go? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:32pm On Apr 26, 2020
ITbomb:
Way back 2006, I came to PH from Owerri to submit a scholarship form and see a relative

After submission, I called the man, he told me he was at work and will call me back when he closes so that we go home together.
With no phone, I was stuck with a call girl as my only communication with the man.
From 3pm (after reassuring calls at intervals you talk for 10 secs and pay 1 min) , I hung around the town till 8pm when his line switched off, the call girls then were folding their umbrellas to close for the day.
I had to use last money to pay for night browsing just to be at a safe place, I browse for an hour and doze off..
Early morning, I began begging and raise enough trans. I didn't bother calling the man again
People are wicked though, relative for that matter.

Good old days of overnight browsing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gradually, Calabar Port Comes Alive Again / Amaechi Inspects Ajaokuta- Itakpe Warri Rail Line (Pictures) / Advice On Studying In Poland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.