Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? (8149 Views)

Samuel Okonta And Blood Thirsty Rivers State Politicians. / How Effective Are Lagos Laws To Lagosians(photo) / Most Kidnappers In The South East Are Lagos Returnees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Katsumoto: 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2011
Eku_Bear and Jason123

You are both conjecturing about ethnic numbers in Nigeria. Without a credible census in Nigeria, it is almost impossible to ascertain which group has the higher numbers. Density only counts when you are comparing areas of similar sizes; that 5 people can live in one room does not mean that they are more than 12 people living in a 10 room mansion.

Also, jamb numbers are not credible due to the high numbers of Nigerians living around the world.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2011
^-- It is conjecture yes, but not completely blind guessing. It isn't as if you cannot make certain inferences even with imperfect/limited data.

Anyway, this is my own belief about the Nigerian population.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 8:06pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- It is conjecture yes, but not completely blind guessing. It isn't as if you cannot make certain inferences even with imperfect/limited data.

Anyway, this is my own belief about the Nigerian population.

Yes, it is blind guessing.

What evidence do you have? None.

You mentioned JAMB, but again it was debunked.

Everyone thought Lagos was the most populated state in Nigeria, with the 2006 census, it turned out that Lagos was not as populated as some people would like us believe.

In the absence of factual and unbiased evidence, every conclusion, no matter how well intentioned, amounts to nothing but blind guessing!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 8:09pm On Jan 09, 2011
Are the Tapa considered "native" Lagosians? Anyone know when they started moving to Lagos?

What other native groups are there? Awori Yoruba and who else?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 8:11pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

Yes, it is blind guessing.

What evidence do you have? None.

You mentioned JAMB, but again it was debunked.

Everyone thought Lagos was the most populated state in Nigeria, with the 2006 census, it turned out that Lagos was not as populated as some people would like us believe.

In the absence of factual and unbiased evidence, every conclusion, no matter how well intentioned, amounts to nothing but blind guessing!

I could take a bunch of publicly available data for each state and probably come up with a reasonable estimate of each state's population (using regression analysis or some variant.) This would be a more rigorous way of estimating the population. But I suspect that it'd give similar results to my current intuition.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 8:13pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Are the Tapa considered "native" Lagosians? Anyone know when they started moving to Lagos?

What other native groups are there? Awori Yoruba and who else?

What about the Ijebus

I cant understand a shyyt of what they say, yet we are suppose to be speaking the same language!

And there are the Eguns too, mostly in Badagry.  Very difficult to understand what they say!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by isalegan2: 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2011
alj harem1:

i know, i am half igbo not a full igbo man

they tend to make one angry with there arrogance and pride

later they will say i am anti-igbo, undecided then them , themselves are anti anything nigeria angry
All right. I know you didn't mean it. I edited my post to remove it.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2011
Insert Quote
Quote from: alj harem1 on Today at 07:21:37 PM
i know, i am half igbo not a full igbo man

they tend to make one angry with there arrogance and pride

later they will say i am anti-igbo, then them , themselves are anti anything nigeria

isale_gan2:

All right. I know you didn't mean it. I edited my post to remove it.

ALj Harem is so adorable. ' them, themselves ' very hilarious.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 8:33pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

What about the Ijebus

I can understand a shyyt of what they say, yet we are suppose to be speaking the same language!

And there are the Eguns too, mostly in Badagry. Very difficult to understand what they say!

The ijebu language is very difficult to understand but if you listen carefully, you'll probably get what they are saying. Its similar to the itsekiri.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by KnowAll(m): 8:34pm On Jan 09, 2011
I am suprise an Igbo man cannot be THE Governor of Lagos State and a Ghanian-Lagosian Dr. Kweku Tandoh can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valerie_oka/3007721138/
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 8:36pm On Jan 09, 2011
KnowAll:

I am suprise an Igbo man cannot be THE Governor of Lagos State and a Ghanian-Lagosian Dr. Kweku Tandoh can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valerie_oka/3007721138/

. . . . . . . . . . undecided
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

The ijebu language is very difficult to understand but if you listen carefully, you'll probably get what they are saying. Its similar to the itsekiri.
The Ijebus though domiciled in the SW do not consider themselves to be Yorubas, they trace their lineage to some place in the Middle East grin grin grin. Their language however is just another variant of Yoruba, I don't believe their dialect is any more difficult to understand than the dialect of Owo or Ondo.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 8:43pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

The Ijebus though domiciled in the SW do not consider themselves to be Yorubas, they trace their lineage to some place in the Middle East grin grin grin.

Really? What do you mean by this? It is only recently that this concept of "Yoruba" came about. But long before then was an acknowledgement of Ile Ife/Oduduwa as a common origin.

So do you mean they don't think they are from Ife originally?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 8:43pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

The Ijebus though domiciled in the SW do not consider themselves to be Yorubas, they trace their lineage to some place in the Middle East grin grin grin. Their language however is just another variant of Yoruba, I don't believe their dialect is any more difficult to understand than the dialect of Owo or Ondo.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

What? ijebus not yorubas? what about awo? what about my friends? Trust me sister, nothing can be more yoruba than ijebu although, they have suffered discrimination by their neighbours but the ijebu language is dying out as other yoruba dialects are. The main type of yoruba dialect that is been said is the "normal" one you and i are used to hearing.

EDITED:Infact, the Ijebus champion the yoruba cause!!! grin
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
Yep, the dialects are dying out. Imo they are too unwieldy anyway  undecided My own village's dialect is different from that of the next town in Ekiti, etc, etc. I don't mind if my own kids learn the dialect, but as for me I'm content with just Yoruba.

We sorta have bigger fish to fry in this day and age than worrying about dialects.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Really? What do you mean by this? It is only recently that this concept of "Yoruba" came about. But long before then was an acknowledgement of Ile Ife/Oduduwa as a common origin.

So do you mean they don't think they are from Ife originally?

Ask any Ijebu person you know, they do not trace their origin to Oduduwa but rather the Jebusites of the Bible. I know it sounds odd, but it was my husband that told me first before I heard from the Awujale of Ijebu-Ode himself. I r'ber that when I asked him how this was possible, he asked which of the Okanbi sons settled in Ijebu?

I'm just repeating what I heard from them o  cheesy
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 8:50pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

Ask any Ijebu person you know, they do not trace their origin to Oduduwa but rather the Jebusites of the Bible. I know it sounds odd, but it was my husband that told me first before I heard from the Awujale of Ijebu-Ode himself. I r'ber that when I asked him how this was possible, he asked which of the Okanbi sons settled in Ijebu?

grin grin grin

Jebusites?

Hrm, so did they believe this even before interacting with Europeans? If they believed it beforehand, then maybe there is something too it. But otherwise. . .
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 8:53pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Yep, the dialects are dying out. Imo they are too unwieldy anyway  undecided My own village's dialect is different from that of the next town in Ekiti, etc, etc. I don't mind if my own kids learn the dialect, but as for me I'm content with just Yoruba.

We sorta have bigger fish to fry in this day and age than worrying about dialects.

True! Most yorubas have droped their dialect and have adopted the "normal" yoruba. I guess it just cultural evolution undecided. My mother's friend is egba (owo), though she can speak the egba yoruba, she did not teach it to her children but they were taught the normal yoruba that you and i speak.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 8:55pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

shocked shocked shocked shocked. He is not serious grin grin grin grin grin grin. Though, I think we (itsekiris) came from them undecided. The language is just too similar undecided
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by ekubear1: 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
Man, Yoruba people need to be more active on Wikipedia  undecided This Ijebu origin story for example should be on there. . .
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

True! Most yorubas have droped their dialect and have adopted the "normal" yoruba. I guess it just cultural evolution undecided. My mother's friend is egba (owo), though she can speak the egba yoruba, she did not teach it to her children but they were taught the normal yoruba that you and i speak.

What do you mean by normal Yoruba?

Lagos Yoruba is bastardized Yoruba

Normal Yoruba is the one spoken by the Oyos.  Dont let me see you call Lagos Yoruba 'normal' Yoruba again ok?

The Yoruba you and I speak is the bastardized version.

1 Like

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 8:59pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Man, Yoruba people need to be more active on Wikipedia  undecided This Ijebu origin story for example should be on there. . .
True, but it spoke about the link between ijebu and beni kingdom undecided maybe thats why there are similarities.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

This is very true. I am Ijebu and I can understand itsekiri.  The 'itsekiris' migrated from Ijebuland because they were itinerant traders and picked up phrases from other languages in the areas they lived especially from the kogi, edo and delta areas. This is why itsekiri "language" is a mixed pot of predominantly ijebu dialect, then some words were borrowed from Igala, Urhobo, Isoko and Bini.

As a matter of fact, the word 'Itsekiri' is really a Yoruba word that means "itinerant" or in literal terms "walk about".
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:00pm On Jan 09, 2011
fstranger1:

What do you mean by normal Yoruba?

Lagos Yoruba is bastardized Yoruba

Normal Yoruba is the one spoken by the Oyos.  Dont let me see you call Lagos Yoruba 'normal' Yoruba again ok?

The Yoruba you and I speak is the bastardized version.

So what is the real version of yoruba?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by aloyemeka1: 9:01pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

There is no way this is true. Whenever I'm in Nigeria I stay in Abuja. I would be highly surprised if Igbo are even 20% of the population there, not to talk of 70%.

Don't mind him. Igbos own 70% of the properties in Abuja according to El Rufai and not 70% of the population. Many half illiterates in NL.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

Ekiti Yoruba
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:02pm On Jan 09, 2011
kalokalo:

This is very true. I am Ijebu and I can understand itsekiri.  The 'itsekiris' migrated from Ijebuland because they were itinerant traders and picked up phrases from other languages in the areas they lived especially from the kogi, edo and delta areas. This is why itsekiri "language" is a mixed pot of predominantly ijebu dialect, then some words were borrowed from Igala, Urhobo, Isoko and Bini.

As a matter of fact, the word 'Itsekiri' is really a Yoruba word that means "itinerant" or in literal terms "walk about".    

Thank you for the clarification. If you do not mind this question, do ijebus see themselves as yorubas?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:04pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Ekiti Yoruba

grin grin grin grin. Even I can understand the ekiti yoruba (if that is what you have been typing on NL). Its the same as the normal yoruba so what is the difference?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 09, 2011
naijababe:

This is not true. The Ijebu language is just a dialect of yoruba. However ijebu is completely unintelligible to non-ijebus. I sometimes think it should be its own language since I can be speaking Ijebu and a regular Yoruba person will have no clue what I'm saying. This is analogous to Ngwa dialect and mainstream Igbo.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by aljharem11(m): 9:07pm On Jan 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Don't mind him. Igbos own 70% of the properties in Abuja according to El Rufai and not 70% of the population. Many half illiterates in NL.

thank you, aloy/emeka

all what i said on this thread i really do not mean it, i was just angry and wanted to make things clear to afam

thanks once again smiley
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by fstranger1: 9:08pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

The Oyo dialect. Also spoken by the Modakekes ans some other people.

Ileke-IdI:

Ekiti Yoruba
You shut up. Ekiti Yoruba is one of the most ugly version I have ever heard.  Calling Ile, Ule.   .   .   who does that?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 9:09pm On Jan 09, 2011
kalokalo:

This is not true. The Ijebu language is just a dialect of yoruba. However ijebu is completely unintelligible to non-ijebus. I sometimes think it should be its own language since[b] I can be speaking Ijebu and a regular Yoruba person will have no clue what I'm saying[/b]. This is analogous to Ngwa dialect and mainstream Igbo.

I can understand ( a little tongue but i would get what you mean and i only got a 6-yr exposure to the yorubas). sugbon, e ma so eko jor cheesy cheesy cheesy wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 15 Patience Jonathan’s English Blunders, What A First Lady… / Lili Gabari Dies At 86 / Herdsmen Willing To Pay Tax In Support Of Grazing Reserves - Min. Of Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.