Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42148 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by thesmallgod(m): 11:45am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.
Your qualification give you an edge in getting jobs in some areas and also limit being considered for jobs in some areas

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Roon9(m): 11:45am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
I'm still on it. I'm seriously searching for a job at the moment

It'd end in praise sir.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Tumbulum: 11:46am On May 06, 2020
Jokerman:
Lol... It doesn't... Except it give more knowledge.

Someone now told me to go for PhD... I just dey laff... If you know what it is to have Msc Mechanical Engineering, and still no job... Thank for simulation and design softwares helping man out grin
I need to reach you bro concerning my master Thesis. In currently stuck. I need to borrow ideas from you. I sent you a pm.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Kuns84(m): 11:47am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.

All that money wasted on further studies could've been put to better use.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Antichristus: 11:49am On May 06, 2020
iamclime:
A Bachelor's, a Master's, and even a Doctorate does not guarantee ANYTHING, not only in Nigeria, but anywhere in the world. It can only enhance your chances in some cases. It all depends on what you want. I was running a Master's programme in 2010 but left for more important things. Then, in 2018, I completed my Master's programme after starting all over again. Professors have been on my neck telling me to enroll for my PhD, due to my performance on the programme and my passion for research and teaching. That I am yet to consider.
One thing you should know, though, is that when the time comes to get that job, that promotion, that appointment, and you need a Master's or higher degree and you don't have it, boom! The opportunity is gone and given to the one who has. Talking from experience. Do what you can, while you can.

One of the most significant contributions on this thread.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by veave(f): 11:50am On May 06, 2020
No. I was at home after my masters o. I was at home my guys.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Frankicent(m): 11:51am On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:

Are you for real?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by doggedfighter(f): 11:51am On May 06, 2020
annex1:
It took me 5 years post bachelors degree to begin my masters program. Yes I was employed but not with the salary I quite expected, in fact not satisfactory at all.

During this time I had one certification and skill but looking at it now I guess that few was enough to have kept me under-employed but afloat. You see, i didnt land all those Graduate Trainee jobs in banks, Audit giants and the likes that guarantees a young graduate's career, it was from one private organisation to another till I got to a bank(contract) while I was nearing the dreaded 26 year mark - referred to it as that because that's the "must not be more than" requirement we all fear while perusing job vacancies.

While at the Bank, I couldn't see a future as well so I decided to pursue a masters - and full time at that. Working part time with skills I learnt in the past to survive and pull through. During the masters years I would usually calculate my age and wonder who would employ me at that age and what kind of jobs?
It was an easy decision for a lot of my colleagues because most of them had PhD in sight especially as most had no prior work experience.
For me? I was barely struggling with passing talk more of dedicating another 5 years for phD in Nigeria.

Not one to relent, I graduated, pushed my resume out there and most importantly had a positive outlook. I got invited to a number of interviews and got rejected. All but this one aptitude test and interview with 15 others who were highly skilled with various certifications - knew this because we had a chat after the test.

As I sat waiting for my interview, I had the only one certification I spoke of earlier which had already expired, a resume, a dusty suit I was dieng of heat in, a masters degree and positive outlook - suffice to add that I alone, got the job, and it was a fairly good one (standards change).

I heard later that they considered the graduate degree on par with the certifications. That was my saving grace. I still have colleagues turn friends from those previous jobs I did and left who are still working there with no improvements. Never be afraid to fly.

I am not and will never belittle certifications as I am enmeshed myself with a host of them presently.
The take home is this, if you can get them all, get em'. It may not guarantee you jobs, but it sure as hello improves your prospects to land one.

Always remember that the brain is still always under-utilised.
Can you recommend some certifications one can go for?
You didn't mention the one that singled you out.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by iamclime(m): 11:53am On May 06, 2020
Tumbulum:
I need to reach you bro concerning my master Thesis. In currently stuck. I need to borrow ideas from you. I sent you a pm.
What's your area of concentration? What research design are you using?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by chapwiz(m): 11:54am On May 06, 2020
No having Master Degree don't garantee job rather experience do here in PH if you have master with no experience someone with OND with good experience on the job will take your job or will be your boss in 2018, in one of our pipeline project thr construction manager had OND but 30years good experience we were all under him both MSc, HND, BSc, BEng. So bros na experience get am.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by udemzyudex(m): 11:54am On May 06, 2020
Calabar1stSon:
Common sense you no get, how could have two masters degree, I mean not just one but two

First master degree no give you work, then you proceed to another master degree and no work still, you come proceed go do your PhD still no work? Why did you not use the money for business? Guy go and burn those degrees.

Well, the money for the degrees weren't yours actually that's the reason for this recklessness

Calabar 1st son dey tackle Ijaw 1st son,na wa ooo.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Covidhunger20: 11:54am On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:
Since growing up I have always been accustomed to the idea of double up my degree.
Not like it's a bad thing but what purpose does it serve to run a Masters or PhD program in the long run.

My Dad is always telling me to do one program here and there. It gets tiring honestly as I don't consider myself an academic per se and I would only put in effort when I see something is absolutely necessary.

A cousin of mine once went to the UK for her masters, previously working at a brewery. She told me that going for this program would guarantee her an upgrade in department level

Has anyone here gotten any similar experiences, share your story or those you know of. Were you ever selected for a job based on that or a promotion?

No guarantees in life. We have many unemployed PhD holders. Not to talk of mistress.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by openmine(m): 11:54am On May 06, 2020
kalufelix:
Desperation can make you to take a 40k salary job and remain underemployed.. However if your village people already set up a house committee on your affairs you can still become a pilot... Danfo/keke remember!... Not Boeing..
Chai u are very wicked grin grin

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Calabar1stSon: 11:55am On May 06, 2020
udemzyudex:

Calabar 1st son dey tackle Ijaw 1st son,na wa ooo.
The guy fall my hands undecided

Him suppose get sense like me. You go dey surprise say na him PhD him use apply for N-power 30k
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Sambai65(m): 11:56am On May 06, 2020
Paytah:
No,masters without connection is nothing in this country.i know people who are PhD holders and their salary is 30k.
chai that's my monthly over time nah,it's well sha
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 06, 2020
Bro Education can only help you to succeed but it does not guarantee success. Be wise bro and ask God if that's really your route in life!

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by kolaaderin: 12:03pm On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:

Unfair System...

Was PhD of any benefit? ...
now you are over qualified for any job, just jejeely apply for a lecturing job at those private University.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by vickydevoka(m): 12:03pm On May 06, 2020
kalufelix:
Desperation can make you to take a 40k salary job and remain underemployed.. However if your village people already set up a house committee on your affairs you can still become a pilot... Danfo/keke remember!... Not Boeing..
To be honest a pilot job is better than a 40naira job in Lagos n Abuja
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Execution: 12:04pm On May 06, 2020
Nope, masters don't work here in naija. I advise you develop your skills in tech world. People are very scanty in this area and you remain relevant in your world of software management or programming or Artificial intelligence.
My view.
DISCLAIMER :
I am only responsible for what I say, not what you understand ó.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Tumbulum: 12:04pm On May 06, 2020
iamclime:

What's your area of concentration? What research design are you using?
I was asked to redesign the oscillation mechanism of an ox fan to achieve a 360 revolution for more efficient air circulation. My problem is actually the analysis. I am trying to make out something out of the design.it has been challenging.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by vickydevoka(m): 12:04pm On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
baba na God o. E no easy
Who is ur sponsor
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Discombulator: 12:08pm On May 06, 2020
It was the uselessness of my msc that made me decide not to continue with my PHD,at the end of the day the offers I got with my msc was almost the same thing I got with my BSc,it was when I left the country that I started reaping the benefits of postgraduate education.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by vickydevoka(m): 12:09pm On May 06, 2020
annex1:
It took me 5 years post bachelors degree to begin my masters program. Yes I was employed but not with the salary I quite expected, in fact not satisfactory at all.

During this time I had one certification and skill but looking at it now I guess that few was enough to have kept me under-employed but afloat. You see, i didnt land all those Graduate Trainee jobs in banks, Audit giants and the likes that guarantees a young graduate's career, it was from one private organisation to another till I got to a bank(contract) while I was nearing the dreaded 26 year mark - referred to it as that because that's the "must not be more than" requirement we all fear while perusing job vacancies.

While at the Bank, I couldn't see a future as well so I decided to pursue a masters - and full time at that. Working part time with skills I learnt in the past to survive and pull through. During the masters years I would usually calculate my age and wonder who would employ me at that age and what kind of jobs?
It was an easy decision for a lot of my colleagues because most of them had PhD in sight especially as most had no prior work experience.
For me? I was barely struggling with passing talk more of dedicating another 5 years for phD in Nigeria.

Not one to relent, I graduated, pushed my resume out there and most importantly had a positive outlook. I got invited to a number of interviews and got rejected. All but this one aptitude test and interview with 15 others who were highly skilled with various certifications - knew this because we had a chat after the test.

As I sat waiting for my interview, I had the only one certification I spoke of earlier which had already expired, a resume, a dusty suit I was dieng of heat in, a masters degree and positive outlook - suffice to add that I alone, got the job, and it was a fairly good one (standards change).

I heard later that they considered the graduate degree on par with the certifications. That was my saving grace. I still have colleagues turn friends from those previous jobs I did and left who are still working there with no improvements. Never be afraid to fly.

I am not and will never belittle certifications as I am enmeshed myself with a host of them presently.
The take home is this, if you can get them all, get em'. It may not guarantee you jobs, but it sure as hello improves your prospects to land one.

Always remember that the brain is still always under-utilised.
My brother u are lucky. Nothing concern age with success. Is it not better u marry 50 yrs n achieve ur purpose in lyf. Dan 4 u to marry 25 yrs n be a labourer

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ARAGON22(m): 12:10pm On May 06, 2020
Go Learn Handwork or Do better Business... Forget about this sh**t cos d country is gone already!

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by lastempero: 12:10pm On May 06, 2020
For this lockdown!!!
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by RealMillennial(m): 12:12pm On May 06, 2020
We have since moved away from a world where learning and specialization (gotten through those degrees) was able to reward those who possess them and guarantee a better life.

In today's world, what you create, what you innovate, any crucial problem you solve and scale up your work, that is what guarantees success.

If you're out to learn what has been known and is taught in those institutions (whether Harvard or UNIJOS), you're most definitely coming out to serve the same unfair system controlled by the elite and to live life on their own terms (how much reward you can get for your effort has been mapped out to keep you limited).

It will take God-given direction to find out and do what seems mundane but catapults you to unexpected levels of success.

My 1 kobo.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Dololo: 12:12pm On May 06, 2020
I would say a Master degree alone does not guarantee a job. If you’v got significant experience and you have a strong professional network base in your industry, getting an advanced degree such as a Masters will help. Also, the quality of where you do your masters helps. I had work experience for 6 years, went for a masters at Harvard. Got 3 jobs in less than 6 years with no connections, except the God factor

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by udemzyudex(m): 12:13pm On May 06, 2020
Calabar1stSon:
The guy fall my hands undecided

Him suppose get sense like me. You go dey surprise say na him PhD him use apply for N-power 30k

People dey different though, some people carry school for head wella, them see am as a priority.

Na the kind mindset wey I get for sec school be that but Naija don change my mindset.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Darestc2k12: 12:14pm On May 06, 2020
Clubconnect an appeal to you.
Having fund my wallet successfully , I bought data but my phone is yet to be credited with Mb.
Clubconnect help me out
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DexterousOne(m): 12:17pm On May 06, 2020
skedman:
My friend was working in one of the Apex bank in Nigeria however he applied for a study leave to go and study for his master programme abroad .he was given but when he came back the job was no longer available for him
He as been searching for job and won't mind taking an offer of employment that pays 40,000 - 60,000
This is Nigeria

Decomposing country I tell you
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 06, 2020
In a developed society, master's degree helps a lot in getting a decent Job. But in Nigeria, it doesn't help not even a single tiny bit. The only thing that guarantees a job in Nigeria is your connection, period! grin grin
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Jokerman(m): 12:21pm On May 06, 2020
Tumbulum:

School and title of thesis bro... Email has problem a bit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Viral Question Unibadan Lecturer Asked His Students During Examinations / ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG / Lists Of 'difficult Courses' People Look Down On.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68