Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War (8641 Views)

20 Pounds: Igbos Know Yourself And Don't Beg Anyone[photos ] / Did Awolowo Truely Gave Biafran 20 Pounds After The War / From 20 Pounds After The War To Such Success ! Igbo Amaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 04, 2020
Ever thought of how the Igbos transform themselves from 20 Nigeria pounds to become one of power house of Nigeria economy?

Here we are going to evaluate the truth and lies of 20 pounds myth.

First of all, what led to the whole scenario of 20 pounds? Your guess is as good as mine, NIGERIA CIVIL WAR.

The 20 pounds accusation was championed by Chinua Achebe, he accused the Federal Government of Nigeria of incapacitating and impoverishing all the Igbos after the war by not allowing them to have access to their pre-war savings in Nigeria bank.

The twenty pounds was as a form of RECONCILIATION GESTURE not compensation.

For those who were too young to remember, the Civil War did not start in a sudden manner. There were days, weeks and months leading to the civil war when people from different regions were packing and moving to their homelands. At such time of uncertainty, no one could predict what was going to happen and common sense would dictate that each and everyone would be in control of his or her resources to be able to survive when the war broke out. This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra. This would not just be dictated by common sense, survival instinct would have also required and demanded it too.

"The Igbos want the world to believe that they left all their wealth in Nigerian Banks because of their "love" for Nigeria as opposed to their new Nation called Biafra. How could that have happened? Does that make sense? How could you have left your resources and wealth back in a place where you are not likely to return to? A country called Nigeria, which you hate with passion, with your resources no matter how small or big? Does this align with reason?"

" One of the first institutions to be created by the Biafran Government was the Bank of Biafra, which was accomplished under ‘Decree No. 3 of 1967’ (also known as the ‘Bank of Biafra Decree, 1967’). Reports claim that many individuals presented their savings in local and foreign currency to the government so that weapons could be bought; later, gold and jewels were donated as contributions to the war effort. Money was also being raised from outside the Republic."

By far the most important strategy of the Biafrans in their quest for foreign exchange, was the conversion of their holdings of Nigerian currency. There have been differing reports as to the amount of Nigerian currency in circulation at the time of secession, but when Nigeria’s Finance Commissioner announced on 30 December 1967 that the new Nigerian notes would replace the current notes in circulation between 3 January and 22 January 1968, he also stated that some £37 million had been seized by the rebels in the east. The Biafrans, on the other hand, claimed that by the end of January 1968 they had collected more than £53 million. However, yet another estimate stated that £30 million were circulating in Biafra at the point of secession, with further reserves of £40 million being held in the bank vaults of the Central Bank in Enugu and Port Harcourt. Whatever the actual amount was, following secession large amounts of currency were quickly taken to Europe where they were added to a further £6 million that had been transferred prior to secession, and steps were taken to convert these Nigerian bank notes into foreign exchange.

Where did all the money went?

In an interview at Umuahia on 18 January 1968, Gen. Ojukwu made the following comment:
‘I understand that some women in the villages said that if this money [during the recall of Nigerian currency for Biafran currency] was wanted for the war they did not mind; the government should take it all.’ (Ojukwu, 1969)

The Igbos were given the money out of the RECONCILIATION GESTURE of the Government. It would be outrageous and can lead to the bankrupt of Nigeria if we had exchanged our Nigerian pounds for worthless Biafran pounds.

Instead there was a policy reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation of 20 Nigerian pound despite the fact no Biafran kept their money with Nigeria before the war.

The perfect comparison is this.

Imagine Shekau goes ahead to print his own currency in the heat of the Boko Haram crisis.Called it BokoNaira or BokoDollar

A few years later his guys turn up with their Ghana must go bags of BokoNaira asking for a 1 to 1exchange. Would you say to that?

In conclusion, the Nigeria government owes no one money, afterall 20 pounds was RECONCILIATION GESTURE which the Biafrans were not entitled to in the first place.

#minorityOpinion

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 7:59pm On May 04, 2020
"This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra."

I stopped reading at this point, I have never read such hogwash in all my life grin grin

I have a question for the OP, in the days leading to the mile 12 massacre of Yorubas by Fulanis in Lagos in 2015, how many of you withdrew all their money before fleeing all the way to Mowe and walking to Ibadan on foot?

Answer Me First grin

49 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 8:03pm On May 04, 2020
You just showed you don't know how banking system works
The total money deposited in the banks today by Nigerians is over 84 billion dollars that's over 30 trillion naira ....but we have less than 10% of that in the banks or in circulation ...

So extrapolating to the Biafra time we can see the physical money has always been nothing compared to deposits

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 04, 2020
Make una rush come and argue again

Ndi Ara
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:03pm On May 04, 2020
The 20 pounds was just just a gift to the easterners as they have converted their Naira to Briafra pounds which was useless after the war.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 04, 2020
mrvitalis:
You have stats but forgot to State the total money deposited in the banks ...that was easy to calculate

For tribe u went to eat with because they were dominating every area ...then they must have been very wealthy then

One of them spotted.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:07pm On May 04, 2020
mrvitalis:
You have stats but forgot to State the total money deposited in the banks ...that was easy to calculate

For tribe u went to eat with because they were dominating every area ...then they must have been very wealthy then

Which bank? Who was in control of the banks in Eastern region?

When Ojukwu misled them to convert their Nigeria Naira to worthless Biafra pounds.

11 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:08pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:
"This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra."

I stopped reading at this point, I have never read such hogwash in all my life grin grin

I have a question for the OP, in the days leading to the mile 12 massacre of Yorubas by Fulanis in Lagos in 2015, how many of you withdrew all their money before fleeing all the way to Mowe and walking to Ibadan on foot?

Answer Me First grin

Was that a war? How long did it last?

Answer us first

8 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by DCmonster: 8:09pm On May 04, 2020
[s]
MinorityOpinion:
Ever thought of how the Igbos transform themselves from 20 Nigeria pounds to become one of power house of Nigeria economy?

Here we are going to evaluate the truth and lies of 20 pounds myth.

First of all, what led to the whole scenario of 20 pounds? Your guess is as good as mine, NIGERIA CIVIL WAR.

The 20 pounds accusation was championed by Chinua Achebe, he accused the Federal Government of Nigeria of incapacitating and impoverishing all the Igbos after the war by not allowing them to have access to their pre-war savings in Nigeria bank.

The twenty pounds was as a form of RECONCILIATION GESTURE not compensation.

For those who were too young to remember, the Civil War did not start in a sudden manner. There were days, weeks and months leading to the civil war when people from different regions were packing and moving to their homelands. At such time of uncertainty, no one could predict what was going to happen and common sense would dictate that each and everyone would be in control of his or her resources to be able to survive when the war broke out. This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra. This would not just be dictated by common sense, survival instinct would have also required and demanded it too.

By far the most important strategy of the Biafrans in their quest for foreign exchange, was the conversion of their holdings of Nigerian currency. There have been differing reports as to the amount of Nigerian currency in circulation at the time of secession, but when Nigeria’s Finance Commissioner announced on 30 December 1967 that the new Nigerian notes would replace the current notes in circulation between 3 January and 22 January 1968, he also stated that some £37 million had been seized by the rebels in the east. The Biafrans, on the other hand, claimed that by the end of January 1968 they had collected more than £53 million. However, yet another estimate stated that £30 million were circulating in Biafra at the point of secession, with further reserves of £40 million being held in the bank vaults of the Central Bank in Enugu and Port Harcourt. Whatever the actual amount was, following secession large amounts of currency were quickly taken to Europe where they were added to a further £6 million that had been transferred prior to secession, and steps were taken to convert these Nigerian bank notes into foreign exchange.

Where did all the money went?

The Igbos were given the money out of the RECONCILIATION GESTURE of the Government. It would be outrageous and can lead to the bankrupt of Nigeria if we had exchanged our Nigerian pounds for worthless Biafran pounds.

Instead there was a policy reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation of 20 Nigerian pound despite the fact no Biafran kept their money with Nigeria before the war.

The perfect comparison is this.

In conclusion, the Nigeria government owes no one money, afterall 20 pounds was RECONCILIATION GESTURE which the Biafrans were not entitled to in the first place.

#minorityOpinion

[/s]This slowpoke again! Corona virus fall on you.

7 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Augla1: 8:09pm On May 04, 2020
Are you for real
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:10pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Was that a war? How long did it last?

Answer us first

Then you can imagine if it was a war, how could you have withdrawn all your money?

Answer me?

6 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:

Answer Me First grin

How did nzeogwu, kalu and others soldier of Igbos tribes escape from kaduna before the start of the war?

6 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 8:11pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

When Ojukwu misled them to convert their Nigeria Naira to worthless Biafra pounds.
If u are dumb listen and learn ...Closing all the bank in the East won't give u 5% of the money in the banks deposited by people in the east

First read how banks work then come back let's talk

15 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:12pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Who was in control of the banks the Igbos left in Lagos and the north to run back back because of the pogrom?

6 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by madridguy(m): 8:13pm On May 04, 2020
Brilliant article. Good job @ OP

9 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:
The 20 pounds was just just a gift to the easterners as they have converted their Naira to Briafra pounds which was useless after the war.

Thank you for breaking it down to their level.

7 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:14pm On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

How did ezeogwu, kalu and others soldier of Igbos tribes escape from kaduna before the start of the war?

Did you hear that they went to the bank to make withdrawals as bullets were raining on them as they left the north and west?

Do you have a brain? grin

9 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 04, 2020
DCmonster:
[s][/s]This slowpoke again! Corona virus fall on you.

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:15pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:

Who was in control b of the banks the Igbos left in Lagos and the north to run back back because of the pogrom?

Those who relocated to Eastern region before the war withdrew their money from Nigeria banks..

Even those who did not relocate were sending their earned money to Ojukwu to buy amunitions.

The 20 pounds was just a gift. You people should be grateful for that.

9 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:16pm On May 04, 2020
mrvitalis:

If u are dumb listen and learn ...Closing all the bank in the East won't give u 5% of the money in the banks deposited by people in the east

First read how banks work then come back let's talk

How many Easterners had bank accounts back then?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:

Did you hear that they went to the bank to make withdrawals as bullets were raining on them as they left the north and west?

Do you have a brain? grin

Is that ipob version?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 8:19pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

How many Easterners had bank accounts back then?
Obey ..how dumb can u be ...we are talking about percentage here u are talking numbers

Damn no wonder u support buhari till now

6 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Tranquillity360: 8:19pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:

Answer Me First grin
Do you think hateful yorubas reason well.

10 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:20pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:

Then you can imagine if it was a war, how could you have withdrawn all your money?

Answer me?

People had pre knowledge about the war..

Who started the unnecessary attacks? Was is not your boyscott Biafra army?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:20pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Those who relocated to Eastern region before the war withdrew their money from Nigeria banks

Even those who did not relocate were sending their earned money to Ojukwu to buy amunitions.

The 20 pounds was just a gift. You people should be grateful for that.

Chei! See ignorance in full display!

So you could deposit money in Lagos and withdraw in the east in 1966?

How old are you? I might be wasting time chatting with 13 year olds here grin

20 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:22pm On May 04, 2020
mrvitalis:

Obey ..how dumb can u be ...we are talking about percentage here u are talking numbers

Damn no wonder u support buhari till now

Don't get aggressive with this discussion...

What was the total population of Easterners back then?

How many of them operated bank accounts?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SciLab: 8:22pm On May 04, 2020
One thing about ewedugerians is that they can't just pretend for too long that they are not ewedu-gobblers. It is a spiritual thing.

No matter how hard they try to hide their tribal yoruba identity so as to sound 'objective' and decieve the undiscerning online, they always fail at last. grin

They've been bursted severally and have lost credibility. Their newest strategy is to open new usernames like minorityopinion pretend to be a minority 'We SS', speak sweepingly against the 3 major tribes so as gain some level of 'credibility' and then zero in on attacking Biafrans and Igbo- their main target. grin

I can smell a yoruba muslim from 1000kms afar. No matter how much perfume they use to cover their 'odour' that characteristic 'kabiru' smell is always detectable.

17 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:23pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

People had pre knowledge about the war..

Who started the unnecessary attacks? Was is not your boyscott Biafra army?

Of course, they even dug up their houses and shops and carried them to Biafra before the war grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by sweetsell: 8:24pm On May 04, 2020
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 8:24pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:

Chei! See ignorance in full display!

So you could deposit money in Lagos and withdraw in the east in 1966?

How old are you? I might be wasting time chatting with 13 year olds here grin

Una go chop raw facts today.

They withdrew their money before relocating to Easterner region.

Ojukwu brainwashed them by telling them to convert their hard earned Naira to worthless Biafra pounds...

Gowon deliberately changed the Naira currency just to make the little ones still hoarding Naira amongst your people to be useless

8 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:25pm On May 04, 2020
SciLab:
One thing about ewedugerians is that they can't just pretend for too long that they are not ewedu-gobblers. It is a spiritual thing.

No matter how hard they try to hide their tribal yoruba identity so as to sound 'objective' and decieve the undiscerning online, they always fail at last. grin

They've been bursted severally and have lost credibility. There new strategy is open new usernames like minorityopinion pretend to be a minority 'We SS' speak sweepingly against the 3 major tribes so as gain some level of 'credibility' and then zero in on attacking Biafrans and Igbo- their main target. grin

I can smell a yoruba muslim from a 1000kms afar. No matter how much perfume they use to cover their 'odour' that characteristic 'kabiru' smell is always detectable.

I have noticed that northerners also do this same thing to knock the heads of southerners together, then they can go back and laugh.

Divide and rule 101 grin

8 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 8:25pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Don't get aggressive with this discussion...

What was the total population of Easterners back then?

How many of them operated bank accounts?
How I'm I supposed to know ...

Physical cash which can be seized by the biafran arm can never absolutely never be money than 10% of all the money actually deposited

If u collect all the cash in Nigeria now it can never be upto 10% of our real worth or money we have in the bank ...it's simple

So saying Biafra seized money is absolutely no excuse what so ever to give them 20 ponds ...there bank deposit was insured

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PAY YOUR TRIBUTE TO SERGENT SUNDAY BADUNG / Nyesome Wike, The Construction Governor Of Port Harcourt(pics) / N23bn Election Fund: How N900m Was Shared In Gombe, Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.