Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War (8824 Views)

20 Pounds: Igbos Know Yourself And Don't Beg Anyone[photos ] / Did Awolowo Truely Gave Biafran 20 Pounds After The War / From 20 Pounds After The War To Such Success ! Igbo Amaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 9:09pm On May 04, 2020
Amumaigwe:

At least a member of your family is tenant yo an igbo Nan in your SW. He might even be owing him rent, now that COVID-19 has turned most of your people to destitutes.

Why should they be tenant to iyanmi.ri in my own region when we have enough houses not to talk of unoccupied rooms Both in town and village.

You people living in Eastern village should be considerate of your brothers in other part of Nigeria before talking recklessly and make them vulnerable to whatever..

Remember, should anything happen to them, that means no money to send to village.

11 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:12pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Every country is an abroad.. Just because some people are not making money in Nigeria does not mean other are not.

Let me ask you, would you travel to a country where you are not going to benefit economically?
stop playing hide and seek! is nigeria better than usa,china,britain and co? you said that igbos are in south west because southeast is landlocked,so why are american in nigeria,is america landlock? ,how many yorubas lives in the north or south south? or are those region landlocked as well?

2 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by MetaPhysical: 9:15pm On May 04, 2020
This article is too long to put here but is available on internet. It really goes into detail why and how private wealth was drained by Ojukwu and Biafra.

http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/biafra.htm

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 9:16pm On May 04, 2020
Smoke55:
stop playing hide and seek! is nigeria better than usa,china,britain and co? you said that igbos are in south west because southeast is landlocked,so why are american in nigeria,is america landlock? ,how many yorubas lives in the north or south south? or are those region landlocked as well?

Could you point out to where I said south East is landlocked? I might have probably be drunk or you are.

People travel to where they are going to get more opportunities..

Just today, Chinese illegal minners were arrested in Nigeria. Why would they risk coming down here if they are not getting more opportunities in Nigeria than their country?

4 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by rosebowl01(m): 9:23pm On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
Ever thought of how the Igbos transform themselves from 20 Nigeria pounds to become one of power house of Nigeria economy?

Here we are going to evaluate the truth and lies of 20 pounds myth.

First of all, what led to the whole scenario of 20 pounds? Your guess is as good as mine, NIGERIA CIVIL WAR.

The 20 pounds accusation was championed by Chinua Achebe, he accused the Federal Government of Nigeria of incapacitating and impoverishing all the Igbos after the war by not allowing them to have access to their pre-war savings in Nigeria bank.

The twenty pounds was as a form of RECONCILIATION GESTURE not compensation.

For those who were too young to remember, the Civil War did not start in a sudden manner. There were days, weeks and months leading to the civil war when people from different regions were packing and moving to their homelands. At such time of uncertainty, no one could predict what was going to happen and common sense would dictate that each and everyone would be in control of his or her resources to be able to survive when the war broke out. This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra. This would not just be dictated by common sense, survival instinct would have also required and demanded it too.

By far the most important strategy of the Biafrans in their quest for foreign exchange, was the conversion of their holdings of Nigerian currency. There have been differing reports as to the amount of Nigerian currency in circulation at the time of secession, but when Nigeria’s Finance Commissioner announced on 30 December 1967 that the new Nigerian notes would replace the current notes in circulation between 3 January and 22 January 1968, he also stated that some £37 million had been seized by the rebels in the east. The Biafrans, on the other hand, claimed that by the end of January 1968 they had collected more than £53 million. However, yet another estimate stated that £30 million were circulating in Biafra at the point of secession, with further reserves of £40 million being held in the bank vaults of the Central Bank in Enugu and Port Harcourt. Whatever the actual amount was, following secession large amounts of currency were quickly taken to Europe where they were added to a further £6 million that had been transferred prior to secession, and steps were taken to convert these Nigerian bank notes into foreign exchange.

Where did all the money went?

The Igbos were given the money out of the RECONCILIATION GESTURE of the Government. It would be outrageous and can lead to the bankrupt of Nigeria if we had exchanged our Nigerian pounds for worthless Biafran pounds.

Instead there was a policy reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation of 20 Nigerian pound despite the fact no Biafran kept their money with Nigeria before the war.

The perfect comparison is this.

In conclusion, the Nigeria government owes no one money, afterall 20 pounds was RECONCILIATION GESTURE which the Biafrans were not entitled to in the first place.

#minorityOpinion

Brilliant!

5 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:25pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Could you point out to where I said south East is landlocked? I might have probably be drunk or you are.

People travel to where they are going to get more opportunities..

Just today, Chinese illegal minners were arrested in Nigeria. Why would they risk coming down here if they are not getting more opportunities in Nigeria than their country?

hahahaha oga you said yorubas dnt come to the east because east is barren,dispite the east having the busiest market in west africa , and i ask again how many yorubas live in the north and south south? or are these two regions barren too? chinese and americans coming to nigeria does that make those countries barren? or does that make nigeria better than those countries? and i ask again do you no what business exploit means?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:
This article is too long to put here but is available on internet. It really goes into detail why and how private wealth was drained by Ojukwu and Biafra.

http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/biafra.htm

I'm even planing on writing how ojukwu and others carted away millions of Biafran money thanks for the link.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 9:30pm On May 04, 2020
Smoke55:
hahahaha oga you said yorubas dnt come to the east because east is barren,dispite the east having the busiest market in west africa , and i ask again how many yorubas live in the north and south south? or are these two regions barren too? chinese and americans coming to nigeria does that make those countries barren? or does that make nigeria better than those countries? and i ask again do you no what business exploit means?

Don't you get it.. When there are more opportunities in my region, why do I need to travel to North or East? I would rather travel out of the country to seek more opportunities.

If the economy of SW is not booming, if the environment is not conducive enough do you think they will migrate here?

Why can't those Chinese and American citizens come to Eastern region to invest? Have you guys critically asked una self the myth behind it?

8 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Amumaigwe: 9:34pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Why should they be tenant to iyanmi.ri in my own region when we have enough houses not to talk of unoccupied rooms Both in town and village.

You people living in Eastern village should be considerate of your brothers in other part of Nigeria before talking recklessly and make them vulnerable to whatever..

Remember, should anything happen to them, that means no money to send to village.

Enough houses? Like these?

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 9:38pm On May 04, 2020
Amumaigwe:

Enough houses? Like these?

Non indigenes are the majority living in this kind of place...

We know those who full Ajegunle, Okokomaiko

8 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by honeyB2018: 9:41pm On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
Ever thought of how the Igbos transform themselves from 20 Nigeria pounds to become one of power house of Nigeria economy?

First of all, what led to the whole scenario of 20 pounds? Your guess is as good as mine, NIGERIA CIVIL WAR.

The 20 pounds accusation was championed by Chinua Achebe, he accused the Federal Government of Nigeria of incapacitating and impoverishing all the Igbos after the war by not allowing them to have access to their pre-war savings in Nigeria bank.

For those who were too young to remember, the Civil War did not start in a sudden manner. There were days, weeks and months leading to the civil war when people from different regions were packing and moving to their homelands. At such time of uncertainty, no one could predict what was going to happen and common sense would dictate that each and everyone would be in control of his or her resources to be able to survive when the war broke out. This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra. This would not just be dictated by common sense, survival instinct would have also required and demanded it too.

By far the most important strategy of the Biafrans in their quest for foreign exchange, was the conversion of their holdings of Nigerian currency. There have been differing reports as to the amount of Nigerian currency in circulation at the time of secession, but when Nigeria’s Finance Commissioner announced on 30 December 1967 that the new Nigerian notes would replace the current notes in circulation between 3 January and 22 January 1968, he also stated that some £37 million had been seized by the rebels in the east. The Biafrans, on the other hand, claimed that by the end of January 1968 they had collected more than £53 million. However, yet another estimate stated that £30 million were circulating in Biafra at the point of secession, with further reserves of £40 million being held in the bank vaults of the Central Bank in Enugu and Port Harcourt. Whatever the actual amount was, following secession large amounts of currency were quickly taken to Europe where they were added to a further £6 million that had been transferred prior to secession, and steps were taken to convert these Nigerian bank notes into foreign exchange.

The Igbos were given the money out of the RECONCILIATION GESTURE of the Government. It would be outrageous and can lead to the bankrupt of Nigeria if we had exchanged our Nigerian pounds for worthless Biafran pounds.

Instead there was a policy reconciliation, reconstruction and rehabilitation of 20 Nigerian pound despite the fact no Biafran kept their money with Nigeria before the war.

In conclusion, the Nigeria government owes no one money, afterall 20 pounds was RECONCILIATION GESTURE which the Biafrans were not entitled to in the first place.

#minorityOpinion

I don't know why you came to this public square to display your stupidity and ignorance.
It doesn't befit your status.

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:50pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Don't you get it.. When there are more opportunities in my region, why do I need to travel to North or East? I would rather travel out of the country to seek more opportunities.

If the economy of SW is not booming, if the environment is not conducive enough do you think they will migrate here?

Why can't those Chinese and American citizens come to Eastern region to invest? Have you guys critically asked una self the myth behind it?

wow! so in summary south west is condusive,and have many business opportunities,to an extence that they dont need to travel to other region? hahahahaha how does that sound in your ear? great i guess...still ekiti,ondo and oyo top the list of top 10 poorest states in nigeria,how you guys lie with passion still amaze me..those guys looting breads and indomies in ikorodu,are they also part of wealthy SW?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 9:55pm On May 04, 2020
Smoke55:
wow! so in summary south west is condusive,and have many business opportunities,to an extence that they dont need to travel to other region? hahahahaha how does that sound in your ear? great i guess...still ekiti,ondo and oyo top the list of top 10 poorest states in nigeria,how you guys lie with passion still amaze me..those guys looting breads and indomies in ikorodu,are they also part of wealthy SW?

so in summary south west is condusive,and have many business opportunities,to an extence that they dont need to travel to other region

I would rather travel out of the country to seek more opportunities

You might have missed that.

still ekiti,ondo and oyo top the list of top 10 poorest states in nigeria

SW is the least poor region in Nigeria according to NBS data published today.. You might need to search for it.. Still hot and fresh

In summary, you are skipping.

5 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 10:01pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

You might have missed that.

SW is the least poor region in Nigeria according to NBS data published today.. You might need to search for it.. Still hot and fresh

In summary, you are skipping.
i deliberately skipped the part you said you rather travel out to seek for more opportunities,,i knew you already ran out of ideas...bro nice discussing with you! have a sound sleep! good night!!
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 10:04pm On May 04, 2020
Smoke55:
i deliberately skipped the part you said you rather travel out to seek for more opportunities,,i knew you already ran out of ideas...bro nice discussing with you! have a sound sleep! good night!!

Tear race and sleep tight.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 10:09pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Tear race and sleep tight.

you probably dnt have any thing to say,you kept contradicting your self,i cant continue runing roud the circle with you....when you said that south west is condusive and dnt need to travel out from their village or region that was when i knew you have nothing more to say.

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Gazzy88(m): 10:14pm On May 04, 2020
Only a dimwit would travel to where there's little to no opportunity (southeast) when there's abundance of opportunities in his homeland (southwest). There's a reason why igbos travel a lot to Yorùbá land more than Yorùbá heading to the east. We all pray for progress, not retrogressing. We rather travel to UK and USA than some backward region. If you're pained, slam your head thrice on the wall. Peace!!!

3 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 10:18pm On May 04, 2020
Smoke55:
you probably dnt have any thing to say,you kept contradicting your self,i cant continue runing roud the circle with you....when you said that south west is condusive and dnt need to travel out from their village or region that was when i knew you have nothing more to say.

Like I told you, you are skipping alot..

Go back to my comments and see where I write better opportunities.

No wonder you started the conversation by saying I called SE landlocked.

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 10:21pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Like I told you, you are skipping alot..

Go back to my comments and see where I write better opportunities.

No wonder you started the conversation by saying I called SE landlocked.
which other better opportunities do you need nah? and what is the different between landlock and barren?

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by helinues: 10:24pm On May 04, 2020
Smoke55:
which other better opportunities do you need nah? and what is the different between landlock and barren?

Sorry bad me.. Just noticed your moniker's name.

Smoke55.. No be ordinary eyes you dey follow me engage

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 10:31pm On May 04, 2020
helinues:

Sorry bad me.. Just noticed your moniker's name.
Smoke55.. No be ordinary eyes you dey follow me engage
grin grin
abeg sleep dey your eye! go sleep..
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Skillsnigeria: 10:42pm On May 04, 2020
I know,is one afonja Muslim Fulani slaves that wrote this trash.they keep disgracing we sensible Yoruba,unity begger.that does not stop nigeria from breaking up

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:52pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:
"This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra."

I stopped reading at this point, I have never read such hogwash in all my life grin grin

I have a question for the OP, in the days leading to the mile 12 massacre of Yorubas by Fulanis in Lagos in 2015, how many of you withdrew all their money before fleeing all the way to Mowe and walking to Ibadan on foot?

Answer Me First grin

But you have to accept he has a point. Except you mean to tell me the Biafrans were expecting to be defeated at the start of the war which means they never believed in Biafra from start. Same goes for your question though riddled with lies. The yorubas fully expected to come back so couldn't have withdrawn ask their cash in the bank

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:53pm On May 04, 2020
mrvitalis:
You just showed you don't know how banking system works
The total money deposited in the banks today by Nigerians is over 84 billion dollars that's over 30 trillion naira ....but we have less than 10% of that in the banks or in circulation ...

So extrapolating to the Biafra time we can see the physical money has always been nothing compared to deposits

Of course. All the money in Nigerian banks could not have belonged to Igbo. Plus, the monies withdrawn will not have been in circulation in Nigeria so liquidity will not be an issue.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by gwafaeziokwu: 11:10pm On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

[b][b]

The twenty pounds was as a form of RECONCILIATION GESTURE not compensation.[/b[/b]]

#minorityOpinion

This is where all argument ended. Anyone that want to engage you further is guilty of dumb by association.

I absolve my sensibility from been messed up by a little kid who believe that people hunted down by both Northern military and mad mob during the pogrom should have taken permission from the jihadists to withdraw money from their bank account .

Oya go and play with sand osi so! !

2 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oyatz(m): 11:17pm On May 04, 2020
If you want to be honest you ought to have known that the Civil War did NOT start suddenly but gradually over months.

As Biafrans were leaving Nigeria, they withdrew their all their money which Ojukwu collected from them and gave them Biafran Pounds in exchange.

Many enthusiastic Biafrans even donated their money (in Nigerian currency) to buy weapons.

After the war, BiafranPounds became worthless as no country was ready to accept it as a legal tender but Chinua Achebe and other Biafran propangadists wished Nigeria should have just accepted the Biafran Pounds and gave the Biafrans one Nigerian pound in exchange for each Biafran Pound.

This is very similar to a trader asking you to give him #500 MTN card while he pays you back with #500 NITEL card in 2020 when NITEL no longer exist and no Telecom company will accept their cards.

# The ways the Biafrans blamed and still blaming the Nigerians for their loss of the civil war is childish.

It's like a wrestler blaming his opponent for his defeat in a boxing match.

SLAP44:

Then you can imagine if it was a war, how could you have withdrawn all your money?

Answer me?

5 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by PrinxArthur1(m): 11:21pm On May 04, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

#minorityOpinion

shut up and how old are you, cos u know nothing!
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oyatz(m): 11:27pm On May 04, 2020
In your own views,

Igbos= Perfect people, who see no evil and do no evils.

Yoruba= Evil people

SciLab:

yoruba muslims do it more.

Northerners do not need to stress themselves knocking heads together, when we all know that Igbo and yoruba can never work together until yoruba decides to start embracing equity and apologize for all the lies and propaganda they've told against the east for many decades in many of their newspaper which are now moribund.

yorubas have a lot to gain with the chaos they want to create by trying to demonize Igbos in the eyes of the SS and other tribes who today do not currently align with yoruba political interests.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Gabkosh: 11:28pm On May 04, 2020
SLAP44:
"This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra."

I stopped reading at this point, I have never read such hogwash in all my life grin grin

I have a question for the OP, in the days leading to the mile 12 massacre of Yorubas by Fulanis in Lagos in 2015, how many of you withdrew all their money before fleeing all the way to Mowe and walking to Ibadan on foot?

Answer Me First grin
Shut up, which massacre, do you the meaning of massacre, that how you will be disgracing your parents by abusing words without knowing when to use it.

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oyatz(m): 11:30pm On May 04, 2020
This must be the uncle Lie-nus we keep hearing.

mrvitalis:

The arms we use was the ones Nigerian army in the east had the rest was manufacturered using rail lines mm.biafra never bought any weapon that was the only reason they lost the war

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Gabkosh: 11:33pm On May 04, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Their anger is how Igbos are buying up their land with just 20poundgrin
No sense of humor, just as e junks and lies
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oyatz(m): 11:33pm On May 04, 2020
Actually, you have a point.

This was the true experience of some people especially in the volatile areas of core-North but the vast majority planed for their new Country.

Smoke55:
was there any intention of forming a country before or during the progrom?those returning to the east during the progrom might have had the intention of returning back when the killing stops,that was before the declearation of biafra...the declearation of biafra was do to the continuous killing of ndi igbo in the north.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tax Evasion: Reps Summon Trade Ministry, Over MTN ₦2.6trn Naira Waiver / Abuja Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking To Disqualify Bola Tinubu / Which Nairalander Would You Like To See As President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.