Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,505 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War (8798 Views)

20 Pounds: Igbos Know Yourself And Don't Beg Anyone[photos ] / Did Awolowo Truely Gave Biafran 20 Pounds After The War / From 20 Pounds After The War To Such Success ! Igbo Amaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 8:56am On May 05, 2020
omonnakoda:

What busiest market?

Busy market werrey wo?
What do they sell and where does it come from
What exactly is sold in this so called busiest market

The busiest market is the Nigerian Stock Exchange

Physical market ? Lagos business district.

Stop fooling yourself
please google the busiest market in west africa,screen shot the answer and post it here,till then i dnt have strenght for lame argument....waiting!!

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by SLAP44: 8:58am On May 05, 2020
PHAYOL81:

What part of the Western region was active in the civil war? Till the war was over, was one a spot of the battle? Go read history and throw away the hate instil in you by the oral record of your parents/grandparents.
Lagos was even hosting African cultural activities during the war (Festac66) and despite the war, the non-participants (Igbos) who stayed back in Lagos were not in any way threatened. Or is there a record, killing went on in Lagos too? My dear, the closest the war got to the west here was the Bini-Ore road and that was it. So, where was the bullet flying in the west?

And for your information, this wasn't a sudden break-out. The civil war revved up for months with warnings and threats. It led to Ojukwu's train (Biafran army) making some arrangements in readiness, which include but not limited to the creation of the BANK OF BIAFRA, the creation of the Biafran dollars, the purchase of ammunitions and the calling back of all eastern indigenes. No war ever break out suddenly, unless you're not paying attention or failing to see the reality; it gives everyone a little time to take a decision before it blows open. Check all records! And Biafra/Nigeria civil war was not any different.

I think there should be age restrictions before people are allowed to comment on politics section. Children should go play in the romance and education sections. But I owe it to the country to educate you.

The war wasn't fought in the west but there were documented attacks on easterners in Lagos before they left to Biafra. People mugged Igbos and other south south tribes openly in Lagos markets and traffic. The identifying factor was if you are looking "too fair, you will be accosted and forced to speak yoruba or they rough you up. People were beaten and sometimes robbed in plain sight in daylight. Some who came to work were advised to go back to the east for their own safety by Yoruba friends. This was in 1966, the Igbos never came back to withdraw any money until the war broke out.

In your second paragraph, the war was revving up but the Eastern region which comprised of the South East and most of the south south never returned to Lagos and the north because of the possibility of more killings as was witnessed before. That was the period Ojukwu was making every attempt to stop the war, that was when two historic events happened, the Aburi accord and the Ahiara declaration.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:00am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
those yorubas in western countries are mostly employees,employees dont compete,40% out of 100% is very poor! what if foreigners decides to go back to their states and countries? do you no that 99 if not 100% of businesses,and investements in the east are own by easterners?....do you no that easterners own upto 10 to 15% investements across the nation outside their region?
There's nothing wrong with being an employee in another country. Being employable is a plus not a minus. If the foreigners decide to go back to their states/countries, two things. The burden on Lagos infrastructure will reduce which will open up new opportunities for new investors to take over where those who left stopped.
2. The new opportunities will lead to a drop in cost of living and doing business which will lead to another round of business explosion.

Besides, the foreigners will not be so easily convinced that they should abandon all their life's work and achievements just to prove a point. It doesn't work that way. The relationship is symbiotic so both will lose massively if leaving occurs.
The fact that 99% of business is owned by indigenes in igboland shows that the area is still massively underdeveloped. All developed cities all over the world have a good influx of foreign and portfolio investors who look to expand their businesses. That's why those cities are referred to as cosmopolitan. If the Igbo have no cosmopolitan city in their landscape, it shows how underdeveloped they are and the need to open up for more FDI.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:01am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
those yorubas in western countries are mostly employees,employees dont compete,40% out of 100% is very poor! what if foreigners decides to go back to their states and countries? do you no that 99 if not 100% of businesses,and investements in the east are own by easterners?....do you no that easterners own upto 10 to 15% investements across the nation outside their region?

But the World Bank said

Poverty is clearly concentrated along a belt that covers the north and moves along to the
eastern part of the country

Poverty is concentrated in Ebolaland

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:01am On May 05, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

There's nothing wrong with being an employee in another country. Being employable is a plus not a minus. If the foreigners decide to go back to their states/countries, two things. The burden on Lagos infrastructure will reduce which will open up new opportunities for new investors to take over where those who left stopped.
2. The new opportunities will lead to a drop in cost of living and doing business which will lead to another round of business explosion.

Besides, the foreigners will not be so easily convinced that they should abandon all their life's work and achievements just to prove a point. It doesn't work that way. The relationship is symbiotic so both will lose massively if leaving occurs.
hahahahaha so when they leave you will wait for another set of foreign investors to come and occupy the space left? and your benifit is the reduction in cost of living? wow!!
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by seunmsg(m): 9:02am On May 05, 2020
mrvitalis:
You just showed you don't know how banking system works
The total money deposited in the banks today by Nigerians is over 84 billion dollars that's over 30 trillion naira ....but we have less than 10% of that in the banks or in circulation ...

So extrapolating to the Biafra time we can see the physical money has always been nothing compared to deposits

If Biafra had won the war and created a new country for themselves, would they still come back to claim money left in Nigerian banks? Why will anybody moving into his new country leave money behind in the old country?

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 9:03am On May 05, 2020
seunmsg:

If Biafra had won the war and created a new country for themselves, would they still come back to claim money left in Nigerian banks? Why will anybody moving into his new country leave money behind in the old country?
Sure we would have ...it would have been settled by the international community ...there are lead down rules for that ......if u dont we would have seized Nigerian asset abroad ....
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:04am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
how many companies are own by american individuals? all the companies own by americans in nigeria are either own by organisations(group of people) or by american government,you dnt compare that with a business own by an individual igbo...besides america or china are countries and can easily get a loan from their gvnt to establish,so dnt compare them to igbos that established them selves from personal hustle.
First of, American govt doesn't own companies. The scale of your business is dependent on ur financial ability. Most big businesses owned by foreigners in Lagos state are owned by foreign nationals not igbo. Igbos are generally found more in medium and small scale businesses.

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:04am On May 05, 2020
omonnakoda:

But the World Bank said

Poverty is clearly concentrated along a belt that covers the north and moves along to the
eastern part of the country

Poverty is concentrated in Ebolaland
if that make you sleep well at night then i'm ok...tell me how world bank came about with their report..what did they consider before reaching to this report?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:06am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
please google the busiest market in west africa,screen shot the answer and post it here,till then i dnt have strenght for lame argument....waiting!!
Don't be stupid
You think I am stupid enough to consume the rubbish you write in Wikipedia

Tell us what they sell and by what metric busyness is measured?
Oponu

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:07am On May 05, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

First of, American govt doesn't own companies. The scale of your business is dependent on ur financial ability. Most big businesses owned by foreigners in Lagos state are owned by foreign nationals not igbo. Igbos are generally found more in medium and small scale businesses.
you mean those oil companies like chivrons and agip are own by american individuals?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:09am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
hahahahaha so when they leave you will wait for another set of foreign investors to come and occupy the space left? and your benifit is the reduction in cost of living? wow!!
You don't know how investment works. There'll be no waiting period. As long as Lagos retains most of its critical infrastructure. The influx will be sudden and massive. That's how investment works.

Reduction in cost of living in a city will attract labour to the city which is a critical factor in production. You don't understand a lot of things.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:10am On May 05, 2020
omonnakoda:

Don't be stupid
You think I am stupid enough to consume the rubbish you write in Wikipedia

Tell us what they sell and by what metric busyness is measured?
Oponu
lolz! i wanted to ignore you,but let me just educate you,you can also argue or prove your point without insult! i'm done with you,dnt quote me again please.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:10am On May 05, 2020
mrvitalis:

Sure we would have ...it would have been settled by the international community ...there are lead down rules for that ......if u dont we would have seized Nigerian asset abroad ....
Can you give an example of where such occurred in the countries that broke up recently?

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:11am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
if that make you sleep well at night then i'm ok...tell me how world bank came about with their report..what did they consider before reaching to this report?

mnasir2@worldbank.org

That is their person in Nigeria,
Email him
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:11am On May 05, 2020
mrvitalis:

Can you give an example of where such occurred in the countries that broke up recently? You're mixing up repatriation with secession. Have you heard EU for example paying UK for brexit?

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:13am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
you mean those oil companies like chivrons and agip are own by american individuals?
It's chevron and yes it's owned by individuals. Agip is an Italian owned oil company not American.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:14am On May 05, 2020
omonnakoda:

mnasir2@worldbank.org

That is their person in Nigeria,
Email him
tell me how the came about with their report and you are sending me an email address? what are the factors considered before reaching their conclusion?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:14am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
lolz! i wanted to ignore you,but let me just educate you,you can also argue or prove your point without insult! i'm done with you,dnt quote me again please.
Do not send me on stupid errands.
What do they sell in Onitsha market Exactly?
Is there a manufacturing hub nearby or is it imported goods?

That should help us establish the credibility of these claims.
There is no seaport I Anambra ,No significant manufacturing and you persist with this folly

What exactly is sold in Onitsha and HOW DOES IT GET THERE

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 9:15am On May 05, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Can you give an example of where such occurred in the countries that broke up recently? You're mixing up repatriation with secession. Have you heard EU for example paying UK for brexit?
EU can't seize money of British people in Europe Union banks ...they still have access to their money simple

You can't seize peoples money in your bank cos they separated
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oglalasioux(m): 9:15am On May 05, 2020
helinues:
The 20 pounds was just just a gift to the easterners as they have converted their Naira to Briafra pounds which was useless after the war.

Naira?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by seunmsg(m): 9:15am On May 05, 2020
mrvitalis:

Not after Biafra stole Nigeria’s money kept in calabar, Enugu and PH central bank. You will have to pay back what you stole before any consideration. Again, you guys claimed you lost all the records of money kept in Nigeria banks, so, what records are you going to present to the international community?

It is also important to state clearly that the war wasn’t something that happened over night. It took about a year before the war started. Igbos had enough time to withdraw their money and move their properties (other than landed ones) to Biafra. The crisis of July 1966 was limited to the barracks in the southern part of the country. Nobody touched civilian Igbos living in the western and mid-western Nigeria.

Anyway, Nigeria won the war and in essence owe you guys nothing. Gowon was simply magnanimous to have given every single Igbo adult 20pounds. God bless him and Awolowo for their magnanimity.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:16am On May 05, 2020
Smoke55:
tell me how the came about with their report and you are sending me an email address? what are the factors considered before reaching their conclusion?
They concluded that their is Conc poverty I Ebolaland.

What does that feel like ,I mean CONC POVERTY? email him to explain better or study the report . The methodology is there

ACS19141-REVISED-PUBLIC-Pov-assessment-final.pdf
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oglalasioux(m): 9:18am On May 05, 2020
helinues:

Those who relocated to Eastern region before the war withdrew their money from Nigeria banks..

Even those who did not relocate were sending their earned money to Ojukwu to buy amunitions.

The 20 pounds was just a gift. You people should be grateful for that.

Are you real or a robot?
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by mrvitalis(m): 9:19am On May 05, 2020
seunmsg:

Not after Biafra stole Nigeria’s money kept in calabar, Enugu and PH central bank. You will have to pay back what you stole before any consideration. Again, you guys claimed you lost all the records of money kept in Nigeria banks, so, what records are you going to present to the international community?

It is also important to state clearly that the war wasn’t something that happened over night. It took about a year before the war started. Igbos had enough time to withdraw their money and move their properties (other than landed ones) to Biafra. The crisis of July 1966 was limited to the barracks in the southern part of the country. Nobody touched civilian Igbos living in the western and mid-western Nigeria.

Anyway, Nigeria won the war and in essence owe you guys nothing. Gowon was simply magnanimous to have given every single Igbo adult 20pounds. God bless him and Awolowo for their magnanimity.
You are just dumb ....I gave u an analysis that physical cash can never be more than 10% of total deposit and you are here talking rubbish

Why do you guys fail the read
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:19am On May 05, 2020
SLAP44:
"This would mean that before an Igbo man would leave Kaduna, Lagos or Ibadan, he would have withdrawn all his money before crossing into Biafra."

I stopped reading at this point, I have never read such hogwash in all my life grin grin

I have a question for the OP, in the days leading to the mile 12 massacre of Yorubas by Fulanis in Lagos in 2015, how many of you withdrew all their money before fleeing all the way to Mowe and walking to Ibadan on foot?

Answer Me First grin
Besides banks get first hand information therefore, they make it extremely difficult for their customers to get their money on time before the war!!!

Even with the modern ATM most times, out of about over five, only one will be working!!!

How many bankers have been arrested for fraudulent activities

Even as I speak, many deceased, even with their next of kin are still finding it difficult to get access to the deceased money

No be Nigeria again

They will deliberately stall the collection, so that they (banks) will claim it.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Smoke55: 9:20am On May 05, 2020
omonnakoda:

They concluded that their is Conc poverty I Ebolaland.

What does that feel like ,I mean CONC POVERTY? email him to explain better or study the report . The methodology is there

ACS19141-REVISED-PUBLIC-Pov-assessment-final.pdf
ok bye!
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by oglalasioux(m): 9:21am On May 05, 2020
helinues:

Una go chop raw facts today.

They withdrew their money before relocating to Easterner region.

Ojukwu brainwashed them by telling them to convert their hard earned Naira to worthless Biafra pounds...

Gowon deliberately changed the Naira currency just to make the little ones still hoarding Naira amongst your people to be useless

Evidence that you don't know what you are talking about @bolded.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by Gozzzy(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2020
helinues:

People had pre knowledge about the war..

Who started the unnecessary attacks? Was is not your boyscott Biafra army?
You are brain dead..... I won't say insane .. cos even an insane person won't reason the way you do....with complete psychological ineptitude.
Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by seunmsg(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2020
mrvitalis:

You are just dumb ....I gave u an analysis that physical cash can never be more than 10% of total deposit and you are here talking rubbish

Why do you guys fail the read

I won’t bother to return the insult yet but below is your post that I responded to.

So, what analysis are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:39am On May 05, 2020
seunmsg:

I won’t bother to return the insult yet but below is your post that I responded to.

So, what analysis are you talking about?

Ibonalysis

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth And Lies Of Nigeria 20 Pounds After The Civil War by omonnakoda: 9:40am On May 05, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CJN Hails Osinbajo Over Financial Autonomy For Judiciary / APC Postpones Taraba State Presidential Rally / Smart Adeyemi, Shuaibu Abubakar Ask Court To Nullify Kogi APC Primary Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.