Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,781 members, 7,810,036 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF (47933 Views)

BBC Slams FG, Promises To Release More Documentaries On Insecurity / FG Promises To Address Issue Of Marginalization & Other Demands In The SE / Why NLC Won’t Protest Hike In Petrol, Electricity Tariffs Yet – Wabba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by redsun(m): 9:16am On May 05, 2020
Good food costs money. There nothing bad in paying high tariffs is the supply is stable and efficient. Obviously, it requires resources to keep the supply going, so if they can use the customers' money to maintain production and supply efficiently, it will be a win-win situation for everyone.

A functional economy is a continuous circle that feeds itself, that is why the majority of people in the so-called developed world live on the breadline because they have to use what they earn to service their needs. They pay as they go.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Joefat: 9:18am On May 05, 2020
I heard when this government commanded the so called IMF to gave a free 2 months electricity to Nigerians, but they knew this IMF were private company and if they are to asked them to gave free electricity, they should be the one to be responsible for the 2 months fees. But the set of dullards pretend like it was free giveaway to Nigerians.. now we will be forcefully pay for the so called 2 to 3 hours light out of 24hrs,, even some people used less then 1 in a week. It shall be well with this APC government...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by nijabazaar: 9:18am On May 05, 2020
Le2money:
IMF loans is still better than Chinese loans oo....I heard they used to take over country resources when due date comes with no repayment....I think dey had already taken over Zambia or which country is that in Africa sev....and most likely take over Ethiopia or Sudan soonest sev

Google Hanoi in Vietnam.

You need to see how Chinese loans transform that city from slum-level lagos to a futuristic Skyscraper-infested city under five years
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by joelison(m): 9:18am On May 05, 2020
The sweet thing is that both wailers are hailers will pay d high tariff.. Not only wailers.. Both pdp and apc will still pay for it, but d one im not sure is if north will still pay d high tarrif

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by CHRISSANCHEZ(m): 9:19am On May 05, 2020
undecided
Tissaia:
I don't understand? are we going to pay royalties to the person who invented electricity or what? I'm lost at tariffs
I thought you are always in full support of this clueless government undecided
Tissaia:
I don't understand? are we going to pay royalties to the person who invented electricity or what? I'm lost at tariffs
I thought you are always in full support of this clueless government
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by jrusky(m): 9:19am On May 05, 2020
I have said that by the time apc and buhari finished with Nigeria Somalia and Sudan will be like Japan compare to current Syria with what will be left in Nigeria.

I think Buhari is the best president bah? With just less than 3,000 Corona cases Buhari already incurred additional £3.5 billion and to apc its cool so lets say we have 100,000 cases then Buhari will borrow £100 trillion bah?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Joefat: 9:19am On May 05, 2020
I heard when this government commanded the so called IMF to gave a free 2 months electricity to Nigerians, but they knew this IMF were private company and if they are to asked them to gave free electricity, they should be the one to be responsible for the 2 months fees. But the set of dullards pretend like it was free giveaway to Nigerians.. now we will be forcefully pay for the so called 2 to 3 hours light out of 24hrs,, even some people used less then 1hrs in a week. It shall not be well with this APC government...
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Tenshades(m): 9:20am On May 05, 2020
Horus:
It is time to buy solar panels to produce your own electricity

Best comment on this thread.
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Angelfrost(m): 9:22am On May 05, 2020
Tissaia:

Your headache... If only they gave a sh*t!!! tongue
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Nobody: 9:22am On May 05, 2020
the redundant coupist and cohorts are Nigeria's worst disaster!
the shithole is on a cliff edge.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Joefat: 9:26am On May 05, 2020
Inside life
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Joefat: 9:26am On May 05, 2020
I heard when this government commanded the so called IMF to gave a free 2 months electricity to Nigerians, but they knew this IMF were private company and if they are to asked them to gave free electricity, they should be the one to be responsible for the 2 months fees. But the set of dullards pretend like it was free giveaway to Nigerians.. now we will be forcefully pay for the so called 2 to 3 hours light out of 24hrs,, even some people used less then 1hrs in a week. It shall not be well with this APC government...
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by bayelsaowei(m): 9:26am On May 05, 2020
Shame shame shame....
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Honeydenz(f): 9:29am On May 05, 2020
Mims2016:

https://punchng.com/nigeriansll-pay-higher-electricity-tariffs-fg-promises-imf/
Buhari and his cohorts knows exactly what they are doing.
Buhari wants to burrow as much money as possible for the incoming president to sort out come 2023 since he had earlier claimed Jonathan left an empty treasury for him to inherit, a situation that spells doom for Nigeria.
Let them enjoy it while it last, where is Abba kayri now, rotting away by little termites. It's all vanity in the end.

Odiegwu!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Angelfrost(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2020
Sigh... All the good economic work done by OBJ within 4 years crumbled to the dust, just like that...

Mental exercise to all neutrals, opposition, supporters and sycophants: How long, realistically speaking, will it take Nigeria to recover economically when Buhari is done with this experimental charade of leadership??! Years??! Decades??! A fvcking Century??!... What will be the actual fallout in terms of suicides, depression, job cuts/losses, poverty, etc??!

Please, let those with at least half a working brain chew on this!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by tunary(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2020
Torie8:
Useless government as if there's light.
I don't even need their light(darkness) anymore, instead of paying for what I cannot get optimum value I rather not pay at all. I dislike cheating

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Mexyz(m): 9:30am On May 05, 2020
What exactly is wrong with FGN?
Increase VAT to 15%?

Who will pay that, how are we supposed to get things to buy at a pocket friendly rate?
They keep increasing tax without a corresponding development in any sector of the Economy, you're taking from the citizens without giving them the needed infrastructures and environment to thrive.

How did we get here for God sake.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by todugo(m): 9:36am On May 05, 2020
grin After this covic one_Nine Birus Tax payment will be doubled in Nigeria,all the funds that will be embezelled by our bad leaders,we are the one to pay the loans back. We all should expect tough and hard time
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by COMPAQ(m): 9:37am On May 05, 2020
I don't think IMF is asking us to do things we don't know already. This situation has been forced upon the FG by extremely low crude prices and attendant revenue shortfall.
Have we Nigerians not known before now that petrol subsidies are just a rip off and only mainly benefit the middle class with cars? Think about the schools, roads, hospitals and other infrastructure that could have been built with the trillions of Naira that we have spent on petrol subsidies over the last 20 years
Are we not aware as Nigerians that an electricity tariff that is not cost reflective does not augur well for the electricity sector? Yet we say stable electricity is a significant ingredient for economic growth. Where will the stable electricity come from if DISCO's cannot make a profit?
How many people reading this who are business men sell what they bought for N50 to Nigerians for N45?
Have we not know for years that our civil service is grossly overstaffed

I've always said that as a country, we need to make decisions for our tomorrow based on where we are today, not where we 'ought' to have been today. Reality is that Nigeria is an extremely poor country. Even with our crude oil. Like I tell people Nigeria has been producing about 2mln barrels of oil for about 30 years. If in 1980 crude was $50, that amounts to $100mln a day. In 2020 oil is $30 and that amounts to $60mln. However due to inflation, 1$ in 1980 is worth $3.13 of todays money. Therefore the $60mln is actually worth $19mln. Consider also that Nigeria's population in 1980 was about 73mln. Today its 200mln+!! Point is, the money available to get things done is getting less and less.

For anyone who is reasonably well educated in economic matters, things are likely to get worse before they get better. Petrol will get more expensive as subsidies go away - especially when crude prices recover, electricity will get more expensive as a cost reflective tarrif is put in place and so on and so forth. And civil service jobs will likely go - especially if govt really has liver to implement that Orasanye report. Best thing to do is to consider alternatives. When kerosene was deregulated and the price went up, I notice even people you would call 'local' have migrated to cooking gas. If electricity is more expensive, consider an inverter or solar power or both.

Unfortunately most Nigerians and even those commenting here don't know enough about these things to argue properly. If you want to get the pysche of the 'average' Nigerian, just look at the scenes witnessed yesterday of people rushing buses, banks etc!! No social distancing, everybody breathing in what 20 people around them breathed out.....in this current corona virus pandemic situation!!?? And many people in those groups will tell you they went to university and have degree. If with education, the best rationale for people was to be rushing in a crowd of 1000 people, then it shows our education is of no good, because we cannot think rationally.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by DonCandido(f): 9:37am On May 05, 2020
Can the F.G return the IMF loan already?

Next they will be asking us pay for the air too!
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Dinhoo: 9:38am On May 05, 2020
CONFUSED GOVERNMENT
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by dallyemmy: 9:39am On May 05, 2020
IMF! IMF!! IMF!!! ...IMF WILL ONLY TELL YOU WHEN TO DEVALUE YOUR CURRENCY AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND...
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by SmartMen: 9:39am On May 05, 2020
edo3:
Am just tired of ds country.. Our fore fathers have been shouting this slogan "e go beta" since time immemorial,,and till now nothing has changed.. Na so we go dey dey? Let starts to kill all ds politicians one after d other because their intentions na to finish us..

Imagine somewhere a speaker is giving one of his wives 10million per month dubiously,, and gave his constituency that voted him 100naira agege bread � in the face of hunger.. Haba mana!!!

This second page na curse full am oo,, if u are an APC fan,, i repeat.. No go near there ooo..
My brother, just make money and start thinking of a saner country to elope to lol... cos this country, APC came to enslave people.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Perfecttouchade: 9:39am On May 05, 2020
Chaii cheesy kasala don burst gbege don happen for we kontiri
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by rimijoshua(m): 9:39am On May 05, 2020
when you vote incompetence into power...the capital of Lagos state becomes Adamawa..
....we never see anything.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by xcelentattitude(m): 9:40am On May 05, 2020
Hoodbilonia:
Men
Fuc k
Tah
Tah

Time to what
Time to bypass
My AC go b 24/7

No time

Don't worry, NERC don jot down your name grin

They'll be coming for you soon grin
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by MoIbrahim: 9:40am On May 05, 2020
And who controls IMF and writes its policies? Some mumus will later come here talking nonsense
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by Stan2330(m): 9:40am On May 05, 2020
So far as the north will join the south to pay for the electricity, I don't have a problem with tariff increase

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by izzy4shizzy(m): 9:40am On May 05, 2020
its news like this that makes me gets angry and hate reading news
Re: Nigerians Will Pay Higher Electricity Tariffs - FG Promises IMF by DonMekino(m): 9:42am On May 05, 2020
high tarriff has never been the major issue, but will it be matched with constant electric supply?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Parades Killers Of Idris Alkali (PHOTOS) / Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? / Seni Saraki Graduates From London School Of Economics. Saraki & Wife Attend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.