Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,883 members, 7,817,601 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! (10478 Views)

If Peter Obi Win A Single State Outside Southeast I Will Deactivate My Acco / Igbo Investment Outside Southeast Worth $2trillion / We Are Worried About Movement Of Almajiris Into Our Region - SouthEast Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Abagworo(m): 7:02am On May 08, 2020
I've studied the report and I consider it as biased. If poverty headcount is actualy based on household living on less than 137,000 Naira annually then that of Rivers State which I am very familiar with should be 0% for sure. This report does not deserve much attention but all the same let Igbos think home.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by SpaceTour: 7:17am On May 08, 2020
abduljabbar4:
Igboe people can be funny sometimes. The same statistics that you always use to mock and lambast the North is now fake because it does not suit your tastes. Go to Zaria and see people who live in mud houses eating 3 good Square meals a day but of course, the statisticians wouldn't put that into consideration. That's the nature of it. It gives clues and not reality. You states are poor just like yobe and the rest. Deal with ittongue

The report is very balanced and reflects the reality. My advise is for Imo, Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi to work on their states. I totally endorse this NBS report haven studied it thoroughly.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by oyatz(m): 7:17am On May 08, 2020
Where did you get this impression that those in the S/west are looking up to Government?

How many people in Ode-Ogbolu, Alagbaagba, Okaka, Fiditi, Edunabo, Ajaawa,Ilogbo, Idanre,Ilaro, Iresi,Afao, Ilawe, Owena, Ijero, Iloko, Ifon, Oka-Akoko did any Government reach?

Every family love and take care of their people.

Churches and wealthy Indigenes of each town distributed foods items to their peoples.

Stop staying in Aguleri or Mbaise and be posting wrong information about places you know little or nothing about.

Luckymama:

Personal experience. In my husbands village somewhere in Owerri, there were so many individuals who sent money home from all over the place to assist their brothers who were based at home. My husband’s extended family alone contributed over a million Naira. Foodstuffs were bought and shared to the young men and family based in the East. That’s a spirit that’s totally lacking in the South West.

What I am trying to say is that hunger was biting everyone everywhere. But while those in the East have developed a communal spirit, the west are looking up to Govt. At the same time it is important to remember that all of this money I am talking about came from people who do not live in the East, so they do not contribute to the economy. These people pay taxes where they live. They employ Labour and pay rent, pay for services etc. So while their brothers may not necessarily starve because they regularly send money home, it’s not really helping the economy.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by 7lives: 8:32am On May 08, 2020
eduj:

whoa � so the thousands of shoe makers and tailors in ariaria are not middle class? I also guess the 4/5 story block of flats major cities in the east is known for are for poor dudes?
please keep to what you know

So this is your idea of middle class, now I have a better understanding of why you guys think your folks are the richest in the country.
In SW here, middle class are those who have their children in high profile schools and institutions, or better still children schooling abroad, these are people who can afford an average of two or three cars, and at least a decent house, not a bungalow.
Low class are those artisans, traders, drivers and so on, these groups of people, earned moderate income, they also send their children to pivate primary schools, and public schools for secondary and tetiary education.
These groups of people hardly build flats, they build face me I face you, so that they can rent those rooms out to make more money.
The last group are labourers, they are unskilled, they work on construction sites, farms and so on, you can hardly see these ones paying any kinds of school fees, they only hustle to feed the children, their children education is in public schools.
The upper class are those noveau rich with multiple investment and large work force.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by 7lives: 8:47am On May 08, 2020
oyatz:
This your post is addressing the poverty index issues.

Is poverty more prevalent in Zamfara than Rivers State? Is poverty lesser in Anambra than Enugu, Gombe or Kogi States?

Why is poverty more prevalent in Ebonyi than Delta State and what can be done to provide solutions?

Ebonyi should focus more on rice farming and milling.
Ebonyi rice is cool.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by ProT: 8:49am On May 08, 2020
oyatz:
For instance,

1) The ban on importation of rice has really improve the production and consumption of local rice popularly called 'Abakaliki rice' I the S/East.

2) Increased Government patronage of Innoson vehicles and Aba Boots and Garment productions.

Do u have stats to back up ur assertions, or u just rely on ur discretion?
I would love to see numbers relating to those two things u scribbled up there.

What is the rice production capacity of Ebonyi state, before and after the ban on importation of rice?

What special support did the FG provide to ndi Ebonyi, or is it a case of "the lion not wanting to feed on grass, no matter the policy in the jungle"?

Also, do same for Innoson and Aba garment patronage.

P.S:
Before u respond to this, remember the timeline in view is THE PAST FIVE YEARS; ur stats should take cognizance of the state of these ur PoLiCiEs within that period.

Then compare
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by 7lives: 8:55am On May 08, 2020
Abagworo:
I've studied the report and I consider it as biased. If poverty headcount is actualy based on household living on less than 137,000 Naira annually then that of Rivers State which I am very familiar with should be 0% for sure. This report does not deserve much attention but all the same let Igbos think home.

Less than 137,000 naira per annum?. O ga o
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by 7lives: 9:15am On May 08, 2020
oyatz:
Where did you get this impression that those in the S/west are looking up to Government?

How many people in Ode-Ogbolu, Alagbaagba, Okaka, Fiditi, Edunabo, Ajaawa,Ilogbo, Idanre,Ilaro, Iresi,Afao, Ilawe, Owena, Ijero, Iloko, Ifon, Oka-Akoko did any Government reach?

Churches and wealthy Indigenes of each town distributed foods items to their peoples.

Stop staying in Aguleri or Mbaise and be posting wrong information about places you know little or nothing about.

Guys I'm seeing things that beats my imagination on this thread o.
Who government epp?, give me beta road make I go do my business.
Now I understand why these guys are always angry with the government, their major problem is self entitlement.
Government responsibility is to make the environment conducive for bussiness, through the provisions of social armenities, yours is to exploit the benefits.
Even at that, the responsibility of the federal government is different from state and local government.
From my perspective, the local government is the closest to the people and so must be firing on all cylinders.
Nigerians focused more on the federal government while the culprit, the local government is pretending to be stupid.
I remembered one local government chair person, a woman to be precise, that woman really did magic at Alimosho in Lagos State here.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Genoa(m): 9:46am On May 08, 2020
Abagworo:

How much is the minimum wage again?

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by oyatz(m): 10:27am On May 08, 2020
What is the poverty index of Enugu, Abia or Ebonyi States according to your own research that is better than that of NBS?

reality1010:

OP, the poverty index is fake. Those who gave that index lack primary data on what they gave.This is OLUWOLE statistics which of course you know is fat fake. Please go on a research of production in Aba and Onitsha you will know better. Because south east doesn't post fake data does not mean the region is poor. Aside Lagos and Kano no other region can boost of economic activities like Abs and Onitsha.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by latitidejavu: 11:03am On May 08, 2020
I know in Nairaland the tribalism is too much hence some of us prefer to just read and marvel at the quality of thoughts of the supposedly future of the nation. However, I will still speak the truth.

As an Igbo young man, the first thing is that we make a lot of noise. We are too noisy and I dare say we are mostly empty. Just imagine people doubting statistics from trained professionals. Beer parlour talk. I see the same loud and ignorant boasting from Onitsha to Owerri to Enugu. We talk and talk with little substance.

The statistics released by NBS aligns with those held by organizations like USAID and others. I see some of us Igbos counting the number of new houses as sign of economic growth. Permit me to sound harsh but that is a terribly daft opinion. We think it's by building houses everywhere, building economically useless mansions inside rural villages. Silly houses that produce nothing. We are joking.

We should look West and learn. We are quick to shout and insult others, this I find very irritating. Yet the westerners will keep their head down and focus on building sustainable productive businesses. We focus on egotistical projects that are unproductive. We need to understand that houses do not create employment, skills and training needed to lift people out of poverty enmass. Let's us try and be less noisy and learn!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Obamaofusa: 11:38am On May 08, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

What's the name of your uncle's pharma company in kebbi? I'm in kebbi and I've never seen or heard of a pharma company there.
cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Obamaofusa: 11:46am On May 08, 2020
oyatz:

lol

I was surprised when I learnt that SW people depend on govt grin

If one depends on govt in Nigeria,the person is dead.
Igbos are most times too gullible. One would have been happy if we can depend on our govts because they tax us.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Gracchus: 12:00pm On May 08, 2020
oyatz:

Don't mind him. In Oyo state for instance, the population of the state in around 5 or 6 million(conservatively), and the state has 120k workers in its civil service, that's around 4% of the population, pray, tell me, where are others working? Are the remain 4million plus people begging on the streets It's just useless lies they have told over the years and make it sound like 80%of our people depend on government when in reality, less than 10%in each state of the SW actually work for govt. There was a time they released the list of federal workers per state, guess what, Imo state came top with highest number of workers in the federal Civil service, these are the same people who said SWners depend on government. I guess their definition of being dependent on government is demanding for roads, water, electricity, security etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by oyatz(m): 12:31pm On May 08, 2020
Innoson Motor Company working days and nights to meet the demand for vehicles by the Nigerian Army and FRSC in 2019.

ProT:

What is the rice production capacity of Ebonyi state, before and after the ban on importation of rice?

What special support did the FG provide to ndi Ebonyi, or is it a case of "the lion not wanting to feed on grass, no matter the policy in the jungle"?

P.S:
Before u respond to this, remember the timeline in view is THE PAST FIVE YEARS; ur stats should take cognizance of the state of these ur PoLiCiEs within that period.

Then compare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by oyatz(m): 12:34pm On May 08, 2020
Innoson Motor Company working days and nights to meet the demand for vehicles by the Nigerian Army and FRSC in 2019.

ProT:

P.S:

Then compare

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by B2mario(m): 12:49pm On May 08, 2020
Abagworo:
this is very faulty. I, an economist can not accept this. Poverty is not measure on this basis.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by B2mario(m): 12:58pm On May 08, 2020
superlightning:
According to the recently released figures from National Bureau of Statistics, Anambra is the only state in the southeast with her poverty index within the 0-20% bracket. It has the least poverty index in the southeast.

Imo and Abia follows in the poverty index ranging within 21-40% bracket.

Enugu State surprisingly crashed and is above the 40% poverty index. Theirs is even inching towards 60%!

Ebonyi State Poverty remains the highest and one of the highest in Nigeria with an index inching towards 80%. This is disturbing.

Generally, our geo-political zone ranks third out of the six zones, tailing after South west and South south geopolitical zone.

Please, I plead with igbos all over the country to THINK HOME. Stop aiding in the development Lagos, Kaduna, Kano, etc and start aiding the development of the SOUTH EASTERN STATES. Fine, make your money there but THINK HOME BIKO.

OAM4J, Mynd44....over to you sirs
Whose geopolitical zone?
Chino are you Igbo? Please identify with your state and leave southeast alone.

Your real people have conducted rubbish research just to humiliate the igbos and other Nigerians and since then your brothers have been acting on it to laugh at the igbos. Oga reveal your real self and stop hiding on the guise of Anambra. Is like your real state is curse?
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by ProT: 1:05pm On May 08, 2020
oyatz:

Timeline - LAST FIVE YEARS; 2019 is just one year ago.

I love numbers; what is the worth of the deal?
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by SpaceTour: 1:25pm On May 08, 2020
[s]
B2mario:

Whose geopolitical zone?
Chino are you Igbo? Please identify with your state and leave southeast alone. Your real people have conducted rubbish research just to humiliate the igbos and other Nigerians and since then your brothers have been acting on it to laugh at the igbos. Oga reveal your real self and stop hiding on the guise of Anambra. Is like your real state is curse?
[/s]

Useless dirty Aba miscreant, so you don't believe in your brother anymore? Have you forgot when you were cheering him, now he is chino. Aba pig tongue

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 08, 2020
7lives:

So this is your idea of middle class, now I have a better understanding of why you guys think your folks are the richest in the country.
In SW here, middle class are those who have their children in high profile schools and institutions, or better still children schooling abroad, these are people who can afford an average of two or three cars, and at least a decent house, not a bungalow.
Low class are those artisans, traders, drivers and so on, these groups of people, earned moderate income, they also send their children to pivate primary schools, and public schools for secondary and tetiary education.
These groups of people hardly build flats, they build face me I face you, so that they can rent those rooms out to make more money.
The last group are labourers, they are unskilled, they work on construction sites, farms and so on, you can hardly see these ones paying any kinds of school fees, they only hustle to feed the children, their children education is in public schools.
The upper class are those noveau rich with multiple investment and large work force.

put up a financial quote of those who you think are the middle class -stop playing smart.
like I reminded your pal, a shop at ariaria rents for over a million yearly (enough to send ones kid outside naija in some cases)
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Theevilone(m): 4:01pm On May 08, 2020
Osaze007:

Yorubas operate with facts not iPob propaganda
Onitsha and abia are the dirtiest cities on earth

U lied , I live in Lagos Amuwo odofin precisely which is ok and cool, Lagos is the most developed and most beautiful state in nigeria and also the dirtiest.

Orile, ijora, ikotun, oja mumchi, igandu and even my line ofin okarin market in Lagos island is so so dirty even almighty festsc doesn't have proper sewage system , coupled with the carnal pollution .
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Osaze007: 4:13pm On May 08, 2020
Theevilone:

U lied , I live in Lagos Amuwo odofin precisely which is ok and cool, Lagos is the most developed and most beautiful state in nigeria and also the dirtiest.

Orile, ijora, ikotun, oja mumchi, igandu and even my line ofin okarin market in Lagos island is so so dirty even almighty festsc doesn't have proper sewage system , coupled with the carnal pollution .

Lots of igbos in Amuwo odofin area so it’s natural for it to be dirty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nRAa9SBGQ

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by superlightning: 6:15pm On May 08, 2020
B2mario:

Whose geopolitical zone?
Chino are you Igbo? Please identify with your state and leave southeast alone.

Your real people have conducted rubbish research just to humiliate the igbos and other Nigerians and since then your brothers have been acting on it to laugh at the igbos. Oga reveal your real self and stop hiding on the guise of Anambra. Is like your real state is curse?

Once again, I beg you in Jesus name, stop this nonsense. I'm not Chino and can never be. I'm tired of this your arrant display of foolishness. I don't need your approval to prove I'm Igbo.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by SonOfEl(m): 7:20pm On May 08, 2020
superlightning:
According to the recently released figures from National Bureau of Statistics, Anambra is the only state in the southeast with her poverty index within the 0-20% bracket. It has the least poverty index in the southeast.

Imo and Abia follows in the poverty index ranging within 21-40% bracket.

Enugu State surprisingly crashed and is above the 40% poverty index. Theirs is even inching towards 60%!

Ebonyi State Poverty remains the highest and one of the highest in Nigeria with an index inching towards 80%. This is disturbing.

Generally, our geo-political zone ranks third out of the six zones, tailing after South west and South south geopolitical zone.

Please, I plead with igbos all over the country to THINK HOME. Stop aiding in the development Lagos, Kaduna, Kano, etc and start aiding the development of the SOUTH EASTERN STATES. Fine, make your money there but THINK HOME BIKO.

OAM4J, Mynd44....over to you sirs

God bless Alaigbo
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by diplomat058(m): 7:27pm On May 08, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:
The glaringly concocted NBS data is a symptom of Nigeria and not the root cause disease.

Its shocking that after receiving billions of naira to give Nigeria planning data, it ends up being politicized that the results are beyond useless.

Nigeria is such a sh*thole because it does some abnormal things. Such practicing a weird adulteration of federalism whereby states resources are annexed by the federal government and then redistributed to states using weird formulas and justifications. These are some of the reasons that Nigeria is fundamentally a failed state.

Nigeria needs fundamental healing from its foundation. I personally believe its too late and impossible to salvage nigeria. The whole false superstructure needs to dissolve to make way for a workable structure.
May God bless you abundantly for this sir.

The last ditch to make this entity viable may be to convert the present geopolitical zones into federating units with full resource control and total decongestion of the exclusive legislative list to place the prosperity of each people in their hands.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by rdokoye: 10:36pm On May 08, 2020
The NBS statistics discredit themselves, by one simple decision. Sample data. The sample size is just over 20,000 people, which is a fraction of the Nigerian populace, whereas universally accepted standards is 20% of a nation's population. Which means, Nigeria's sample size should be at least 40 million people to get an accurate depiction of poverty around the country.

Additionally, the credibility of any nations statistical data is tied directly to its corruption perception index, USA and UK for example have several research bodies that all give contradicting results. Just look at the data on coronavirus. It's for this reason why Western nations and institutions, generally discredit or ignore statistical data from corrupt nations like Nigeria.
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Theevilone(m): 7:57pm On May 09, 2020
Osaze007:

Lots of igbos in Amuwo odofin area so it’s natural for it to be dirty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nRAa9SBGQ

I didn't mention Amuwo is dirty .

The dirtiest places in Lagos are ocuppied mainly by Yorubas
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Miracle1991: 9:30pm On May 09, 2020
cjrane:
Believe Nigerian statistics at your peril!

I don't understand the younger yoruba generation. Nigeria cannot count even the number of people in Nigeria nor even count the number of votes in a ward election. Yet, you think it's the complex algorithm and calculation of poverty index that they can do?

Keep deluding yourself grin grin grin
you would have believe the statistic if they say south west is d poorest in the south.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by anungangampu: 9:58pm On May 09, 2020
I blamed our Governors.. They are so selfish.. We have igbo millionaire loitered everywhere in this country with no direction. How are they planning to bring them home.. What we need now is tight security and an economic plan..

Igbos are slumping down into poverty, this era of social media is not favouring our youths.

My uncle refused 4 of his son going for apprenticeship. I wonder how he want them to raise money from various work they are learning. That's a direct ticket to poverty.

I guess my voice is nothing
Re: Igbos Outside Southeast, Our Region's Poverty Index Is Rising! by Omoodua007: 10:00pm On May 09, 2020
oyatz:

Loooool @ Mbaise
Your forgotten the typical yoruba family have relatives abroad who send them $

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Why FG Has Not Built A Federal Secretariat In Abia — Rep Onuigbo Reveals / Comandclem To Liquidate Mobil Oil / If Nigeria Is Been Divide Which Part Will Enjoy It The More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.