Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (14242 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 2:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:

So now..u don't believe when Europeans wrote that Africans were already involved in slave trade b4 their coming but u believe that Benin pple speak Yoruba in their kingdom that the same Europeans wrote about...

How can i belive something that is false.

Let me make it easier for all of us to understand better, the notion that Africans sold other Africans into slavery is false, the Arabian fundamentalist were the real culprits.

All the blame of slavery lies at the feet of the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.

The Arabian fundamentalist started a human trafiking racketeer in Libya. In other words, they began a new slavetrade.

The only Mzungu you'll see me quoting are the righteous ones, the pro African ones i.e Martin Bernal e.t.c

Africans invented the concept of literacy.

That is to say, it was due to the diabolic and destructiveness of these foreign extremist religions that many of us arent aware of these facts.

Perharps you ought to get a copy of the book "Black People Invented Everything' by Sujan Kumar Dass.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 4:27pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:

So now..u don't believe when Europeans wrote that Africans were already involved in slave trade b4 their coming but u believe that Benin pple speak Yoruba in their kingdom that the same Europeans wrote about ...

Lol.

Thought I should highlight the fact that YOU KNOW that the French Father who visited Benin Kingdom in 1640 DID INDEED DOCUMENT the fact that the lingua-franca of Benin Kingdom is the Yoruba language.

Listen again to your statement which proves that you know this:

"... Benin people speak Yoruba in their kingdom ... the same Europeans wrote about [it]".

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 9:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
More
TAO11, gregyboy, MetaPhysical, Olu317

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 9:51pm On Jun 09, 2020
Edeyoung:
More
TAO11, gregyboy, MetaPhysical, Olu317

Thank you gregyboy, for proving my point that the Edos/Binis truly worship the indigenous Yoruba deity -- Olokun, among other indigenous Yoruba deities.

Please keep more of the proofs coming. Thank you, thank you! grin

cc: BabaRamota1980, MetaPhysical

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 10:54pm On Jun 09, 2020
TAO12:

Lol.

Thought I should highlight the fact that YOU KNOW that the French Father who visited Benin Kingdom in 1640 DID INDEED DOCUMENT the fact that the lingua-franca of Benin Kingdom is the Yoruba language.

Listen again to your statement which proves that you know this:

"... Benin people speak Yoruba in their kingdom ... the same Europeans wrote about [it]".

Cheers!

I was only showing his hypocrisy...Don't quote me wrong
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 10:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Amujale:

[s]

Let me make it easier for all of us to understand better, the notion that Africans sold other Africans into slavery is false, the Arabian fundamentalist were the real culprits.

All the blame of slavery lies at the feet of the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.

The Arabian fundamentalist started a human trafiking racketeer in Libya. In other words, they began a new slavetrade.

The only Mzungu you'll see me quoting are the righteous ones, the pro African ones i.e Martin Bernal e.t.c

That is to say, it was due to the diabolic and destructiveness of these foreign extremist religions that many of us arent aware of these facts.

Perharps you ought to get a copy of the book "Black People Invented Everything' by Sujan Kumar Dass.
[/s]

show me proof... Stop telling me to Goan get a copy...i have a lot of books in reading and I'm not adding that

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 11:08pm On Jun 09, 2020
Amujale:

In
Perbi, Akosua (April 5, 2001). "Slavery and the Slave Trade in Pre-colonial Africa
A Ghanaian historian said
Slavery was widespread in Africa, with both internal and external slave trade".

According to "Welcome to Encyclopædia Britannica's Guide to Black History"

In the
Senegambia region, between 1300 and 1900, close to one-third of the population was enslaved. In early states of the western Sahel, including Ghana , Mali , Segou , and
Songhai , about a third of the population were enslaved.

pls lemme see ur own source...

anything else..u won't get a mention from me

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:10pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:

I was only showing his hypocrisy...Don't quote me wrong

I see what you're doing.

But in the process of doing that, you also showed that you know that Europeans did document the use of Yoruba language as lingua-franca in Benin Kingdom.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 11:15pm On Jun 09, 2020
TAO12:

I see what you're doing.

But in the process of doing that, you also showed that you know that Europeans document the use of Yoruba language as lingua-franca in Benin Kingdom.

Cheers!

So what's ur point?

Did I say anything else...

I'm just pointing out the fact that..He believes Benin spoke Yoruba at one period because it was written by a European but refuses to believe that slavery already existed in Africa even when it was said by a European...

Abeg don't disturb me

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:
In
Perbi, Akosua (April 5, 2001). "Slavery and the Slave Trade in Pre-colonial Africa

You're deceiving yourself.

Learn to read properly.

You are agreeing with me that there was never a slavetrade on the African continent prior to the distruption of the Arabian fubdamentalist and Eutocentric warmongers.

The above book covers Ghana slavery 15th and above.

What is the point in citing content that is afterwards.

The point i am making to you here is a historical fact.

There was never ever a slavetrade on the continent prior to the arrival of the Arabian fundamentalist and the Eurocentric warmongers.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:

So what's ur point?

Did I say anything else...

I'm just pointing out the fact that..He believes Benin spoke Yoruba at one period because it was written by a European but refuses to believe that slavery already existed in Africa even when it was said by a European...

Abeg don't disturb me

Okay, thank you for admitting point blank, without mincing words, that Benin Kingdom did indeed use Yoruba language as its lingua-franca as attested by the documentation of the visiting French Father in the year 1640. cheesy

Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 11:31pm On Jun 09, 2020
TAO12:

Okay, thank you for admitting point blank, without mincing words, that Benin Kingdom did indeed use Yoruba language as its lingua-franca as attested by the documentation of the visiting French Father in the year 1640. cheesy

Cheers!

Nobody dey follow u quarrel Na..

Time done reach make u go sleep

Abi Na fvck dey hungry u like dis...

U dey argue like person wey nor get work...as u don talk ur mind...go withdraw am for access bank Na
mtcheew
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 11:34pm On Jun 09, 2020
Amujale:

Learn to read properly.

You are agreeing with me that there was never a slavetrade on the African continent prior to the distruption of the Arabian fubdamentalist and Eutocentric warmongers.

There was never ever a slavetrade on the continent prior to the arrival of the Arabian fundamentalist and the Eurocentric warmongers.
ayoola27:
In

In the
Senegambia region, between 1300 and 1900, close to one-third of the population was enslaved. In early states of the western Sahel, including Ghana , Mali , Segou , and

pls lemme see ur own source...

anything else..u won't get a mention from me
Amujale:

Learn to read properly.

u are clearly biased that u can't see the difference between Africa and Ghana

The title of the book clearly states Black and African history.. not just Ghana

Ur hypocrisy stinks abeg

Still waiting to see ur book sha
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 11:41pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:

In the

Again, inconsequential content.You are sinply making the point for me.

All the countries you mention was either colonised or under the control of foreign governments.

Enslaved by whom?

You're quoting 1300, slavery lasted for over 2000 years dude.

The point i was alluding to is that chattel slavery and the slavetrade was invented by the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.

There was no such thing as chattel slavery or a slavetrade prioe to the distruption of the Arabian fumdamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 11:44pm On Jun 09, 2020
Amujale:

[s]

Again, inconsequential content.You are sinply making the point for me.

All the countries you mention was either colonised or under the control of foreign governments.

Enslaved by whom?

You're quoting 1300, slavery lasted for over 2000 years dude.

The point i was alluding to is that chattel slavery and the slavetrade was invented by the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.

There was no such thing as chattel slavery or a slavetrade prioe to the distruption of the Arabian fumdamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.
[/s]

go and sleep

Ur brain is so filled that u can't think any longer
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 11:51pm On Jun 09, 2020
ayoola27:

u are clearly biased that u can't see the difference between Africa and Ghana

The title of the book clearly states Black and African history.. not just Ghana

Ur hypocrisy stinks abeg

Still waiting to see ur book sha

Check the dates you are posting?

Let me put things into their perspective.

The horific Portuguese campaign begins in and around the 1300's, and the Arabian slavetrade precede that.

Eurocentrist tend to bring up their own history of slavery in our continent in an attempt to justify their horific attrocities, but they have failed.

Any slavetrade that occured from the point that the Arabian fundamentalist began their evil campaign, either the Arabian fundamentalist, Eurocentric warmonger or both were in charge.

Slavery and slavetrades was started by the Arabian fundamentalist in the First Millenium, around the 600's.

Again, there's no evidence anywhere in history of a slavetrade on the continent prior to the First Millenium, and that was due to the Arabian fundamentalist warmongers.

And that ties into the fact that there never was chattel slavery or a slavetrade anywhere in African history prior to the distruption of the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.

Assuming you have any evidence to the contrary, kindly post it here.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 12:12am On Jun 10, 2020
ayoola27:

You arent making any sense.

It doesnt cost you anything to actually read what is being texted.

Respond sensibly instead of texting gibberish.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 1:20am On Jun 10, 2020
ayoola27:

(1) Nobody dey follow u quarrel Na..

(2) Time done reach make u go sleep

(3) Abi Na fvck dey hungry u like dis...

(4) U dey argue like person wey nor get work...as u don talk ur mind...go withdraw am for access bank Na
mtcheew

(1) Thank you for been secure and matured enough to admit that Yoruba language was the lingua-franca of Benin Kingdom.

(2) What makes you think I live on your side of the world?

Where I live, it's only 8:15 PM right now as I type. And the day is still quite bright as it's roughly Summer already.

(3) Na! I just finished doing that barely 20 minutes before I saw your comment now. So, I ain't horngry. Thank you.

(4) After doing (3), I am actually set to complete some of my assigned work deliverables, from home obviously. Earning myself the $$$$.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by DCatt: 10:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Haba! Dont let nairaland charge you with murder, see as you take style smothered a human being, e no good o!
TAO12:

(1) I can't remeber anyone who said you are saying the truth. You never do.

I can tell you are one and the same person as gregyboy for many reason, the most prominent reason being that you attach the very screenshots that defeat you.

Your screenshot is from S.A. Akintoye's "North-Eastern Yoruba Districts and The Benin Kingdom", Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria, Vol. 4, No. 4 (June 1969), p.546.

You completely overturned the statement therein (and cut out relevant portion of the screenshot) in order to give your usual fraudulent spin to the effect that Binis produced the clothes.

On the contrary, the statement clearly reads as follows:

"Among the Ekiti, Akoko and Igbominá, the spinning, dyeing and weaving of cotton was perhaps the most important industry of the women.* The strips of their cloths [i.e. the Ekitis', the Akokos' and the Ignominas' clothes] are much wider than the strips of the characteristic Oyo cloths ... .Theirs [i.e. the Akokos', the Ekitis', and the Igbominas'] are of three types - the two-strip type (each strip being about two yards long and about one yard wide) called ikeji , the three-strip and four-strip types called iketa and ikerin respectively, ... .The ikeji was usually made for home consumption, while the iketa and ikerin were essentially meant for sale. In some parts, the ikerin is still referred to as aso-Àdó - meaning 'Benin cloth' or 'cloth for Benin'."

It becomes clear therefore, from your own reference (which you attempted to manipulate), that aso-Àdó is simply a vareity of clothes produced by the Yorubas and sold specifically to Benin so that your fore-parents can cloth themselves and also resell.

See fuller attachment. Lies don't last. Desist. cheesy

(2) The guy who calls himself AyoOla is an Edo

I am not surprised that you fail to grasp the impersonation in that moniker. cheesy

Having exposed you as always, let me make it known that I am very much aware that you are scared of me. And others on this section are all aware.

Run away as far as you can, or even use several other monikers, I will always fish you out for disgrace as I have just done here.

Gregyboy, aka Edeyoung. ROTFLMAO! grin cheesy

cc: Babaramota1980, MetaPhysical

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by blissmandate(m): 5:08pm On Jun 12, 2020
Igbosmoker:
so Yoruba language magically vanished from our mouth? Lmao
ask your foolish father.

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by blissmandate(m): 5:12pm On Jun 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:
ogbeni stop lying the owa obokun has always been the title of ijesha king and that’ has never change. There was not any article u posted that testify any bullshit u claim. The owa obokun regalia has nothing to do with Benin. What was the name of the king Benin replace.
you should know by now that ile-ibinu people are useless and stupid animals. Benin bastards are so useless with there tiny 3 local govt tribe of prostitute and criminals.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 11:23pm On Jun 29, 2020
blissmandate:
you should know by now that ile-ibinu people are useless and stupid animals. Benin bastards are so useless with there tiny 3 local govt tribe of prostitute and criminals.

Pained afonja

Weaklings
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 21, 2020
gregyboy:

Pained afonja

Weaklings

Why you come attach my moniker to such comment on your YIM...
Why why why bro?
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 12:53am On Jul 22, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Why you come attach my moniker to such comment on your YIM...

Why why why bro?

At a time you sounded so annoying with your your so called ideology on erasing benin identity on igbos to get d igbos d perfect biafra,

You will one day resolve to complete ethnic cleansing to archive this off the internet
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 22, 2020
gregyboy:

At a time you sounded so annoying with your your so called ideology on erasing benin identity on igbos to get d igbos d perfect biafra,

You will one day resolve to complete ethnic cleansing to archive this off the internet

No no no no cleansing..

Everything is all for greater good and for the benefit of both sides without altercation...

Seems you don't buy the ideology and sound strategy?
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 1:06pm On Jul 22, 2020
Osagyefo98:

No no no no cleansing..

Everything is all for greater good and for the benefit of both sides without altercation...

Seems you don't buy the ideology and sound strategy?

Sir you are talking like hitler, or some African warlord, because i dont know how you are going to fight this your ideology off the net to the people,
Are you going to tell them bluntly you dont want them to talk about thier other cultural half associated with edo because you wish them well when they refuse would you accept your fate
That you lost, or would not, and then result to ethnic cleansing of the edo-igbo people in biafra

Or are you just doing it for your igbo ego pride, on nairaland. if its that then it is better, but if it is not
Then we have a future problem of unseen ethnic cleansing
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 22, 2020
gregyboy:

Sir you are talking like hitler, or some African warlord, because i dont know how you are going to fight this your ideology off the net to the people,
Are you going to tell them bluntly you dont want them to talk about thier other cultural half associated with edo because you wish them well when they refuse would you accept your fate
That you lost, or would not, and then result to ethnic cleansing of the edo-igbo people in biafra

Or are you just doing it for your igbo ego pride, on nairaland. if its that then it is better, but if it is not
Then we have a future problem of unseen ethnic cleansing

I am only insisting that there is nothing like edo-igbo analysis. it is only a myth and not existing.

TaO11 here clearly stated with verifiable evidences that Edos/binis are yorubas right from the dawn of times and have shown proof...Ooni stated the same.

So how do the edo/igbo analysis crop with such facts as stated above already existing. This shows that there is no history like that and shouldn't be allowed to breathe.

Over time, I do defend binis but with history critically researched I came to realize that they are more of yorubas politically and culturally.

Same here and around, yorubas always see Edos as their own. I have even been told same off here.

So you see our stance has a root cause.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO11(f): 3:09pm On Jul 22, 2020
Osagyefo98:
••• TaO11 here clearly stated with verifiable evidences that Edos/binis are yorubas right from the dawn of times and have shown proof...Ooni stated the same. •••
Just to clarify what my evidence-based argument has actually been:

The Edo people are Edos just as the Yoruba people are Yorubas and the Igbo people are Igbos. These are all distinct ethno-linguistic groups

What I have demonstrated with evidence, however, is that the current dynastic monarchy of the Edo people is a foreign one originating from the Ife subgroup of the Yoruba people.

••• Over time, I do defend binis but with history critically researched I came to realize that they are more of yorubas politically and culturally •••.
Absolutely!

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2020
TAO11:
Just to clarify what my evidence-based argument has actually been:

The Edo people are Edos just as the Yoruba people are Yorubas and the Igbo people are Igbos. These are all distinct ethno-linguistic groups

What I have demonstrated with evidence, however, is that the current dynastic monarchy of the Edo people is a foreign one originating from the Ife subgroup of the Yoruba people.

Absolutely!

Good but you can't agree with the latter and try to disagree or segregate with the former.

I only pigeonholed the real life case as it should be accordingly. So I am not wrong in saying both are same people..( Edo-Yoruba).

It only gets conflicting when trying to segregate history that keeps converging more and more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? / Igala Affinity: ‘IFA’ Is The Connecting Link Of Original Nigerians – Attah / Is Kwale A Town Or Tribe? Pls Clarify Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.