Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,850 members, 7,820,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy (56085 Views)

Oba Of Benin Welcome Quadruplets With 5th Wife / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:01pm On May 18, 2020
Damson22:

You mean oduduwa? if I hear
izoduwa is the name and it was miss pronounced by Yorubas as oduduwa.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:03pm On May 18, 2020
Youngjohnosas:
Obaseki means the Oba's favour is more valuable than success in trade.

How come the word Bright didn't appear in your translation

Since Oba means bright.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:03pm On May 18, 2020
elefind:

izoduwa is the name and it was miss pronounced by Yorubas as oduduwa.

Answer my question young man.

If Oba means Bright.
I have two questions.

1. What does Obaseki means

2. Give me 5 Edo words that's has Oba in between, and tell me their meanings
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:05pm On May 18, 2020
Youngjohnosas:
Obaseki means the Oba's favour is more valuable than success in trade.

Well interpreted......

Oba gha to kpere

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:06pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

Well interpreted......

Oba gha to kpere

If Oba means Bright.
I have two questions.

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:10pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Since Oba means bright.

Every word got its etymology

The word oba is bright (shinny) that is for the etymology of the word oba

The meaning is king

And yorubas stole it after 1970 to rep thier king

Before 1970 the British addresses the yoruba monarchs as ooni of ife, sir Adeyemi ogun....

To give the royal title prestige they adopted the title oba in replacement of the British sir

You lot even fancy our ada too, but you yorubas couldn't adopt it because it was obvious not yorubas too

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:10pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

the name obaseki is a colocation it's form a different meaning putting two words together.

for example head+master we get headmaster. but if you look for meaning of head it's part of human body then if you go by the first word meaning you will get it wrong. we already know that head is at the top and master is someone that is in charge of a particular department or work. so Headmaster come to play. same as Oba+seki. obaseki

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:12pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

The meaning is king

Before 1970 the British addresses the yoruba monarchs as ooni of ife, sir Adeyemi ogun....

To give the royal title prestige they adopted the title oba in replacement of the British sir

thank you brother. you dey read books

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:14pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

The meaning is king

Give me 10 Benin words that Has Oba in between and us the meaning.

I can give you 20 Yoruba words with Oba and their meanings.
The word Oba still retain her meaning in those words.

So, give me 10 Benin words that has Oba and tell me their meanings
elefind:

thank you brother. you dey read books
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Born2Breed(f): 10:15pm On May 18, 2020
ahamonyeka:
future king is born!

oba gha atokpe ise!

Future king ke.

The crown prince was born over 2 decades ago.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by edoairways: 10:16pm On May 18, 2020
wildikeman:
Shoo.. Una still dey fvck?
Even 90 years old dey do
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by DTaj: 10:18pm On May 18, 2020
There are too many hypocrites and tribal/religious bigots on Nairaland.

When, recently, one of the wives of the deposed Emir Sanusi of Kano gave birth, he, the wife, and Kano people were insulted to no end.

Now, today, Oba of Benin, who is even older than Sanusi, has had a new baby, but the shameless hypocrites are congratulating the queen, the Oba, Benin people, and praising the king's heritage.

Hatred kills...
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:22pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

If Oba means Bright.
I have two questions.

Foolish questions

I should ask you why did yorubas not use the word onni for a general word for kingship

Why did yorubas change from sir to oba

Show any connections between benin-ife from 1475 to 1914 on writing documents from European accounts

Words like deji, kabeyesi, ooni, olu couod serve in replacement of oba but why didnt they pick one of this names as generality for kingship

In samuel johnson first book published in 1921 why was the word oba not found in his writeup untill after subsequent editions of his books

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:23pm On May 18, 2020
elefind:

Don't be a fool bro, learn from your master.

Answer my question.

If Oba is a Benin word.
It should has different sentences where the word can be used and Shining or King will appear. And will retain her meanings.

E.g in Yoruba we have The word.

Ola
Olamide
Olayemi
Olayonu
Abimbola
Oladapo
Oladimeji
Oladipo.

The Word Ola has the same meaning (wealth) in all the above words.

You ain't chatting with a toddler here.

Cc: gregdyboy
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:24pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

Foolish questions

I should ask you why did yorubas not use the word onni for a general word for kingship

Why did yorubas change from sir to oba

Show any connections between benin-ife from 1475 to 1914 on writing documents from European accounts

Words like deji, kabeyesi, ooni, olu couod serve in replacement of oba but why didnt they pick one of this names as generality for kingship

In samuel johnson first book published in 1921 why was the word oba not found in his writeup untill after subsequent editions of his books

Don't change the Subject of discussion.
Check the above comment
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:28pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Give me 10 Benin words that Has Oba in between and us the meaning.

I can give you 20 Yoruba words with Oba and their meanings.
The word Oba still retain her meaning in those words.

So, give me 10 Benin words that has Oba and tell me their meanings

Even goggle can give you that.......

Even if i give you it wont prove anything

Give me samuel johnson first publication history if yorubas were he addressed yoruba king as oba

I also need a written document from 1475 to 1914 showing benin and ife connection in European account because i believe oromiyan brought obaship to benin

I also need a statement from Samuel johson book saying oromiyan came to establish benin

Samuel johson is a Yoruba man, he had written the yoruba history at oyo in the year 1897 and published it 1921 so his works will be appreciated
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 10:29pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Answer the question.

If it means Bright.
I have two questions.

I can give you 20 Yoruba words that Oba means the same thing in those words
For the second question.

Obazee
Obasogie
Obazuwa
Obaruyi
Obayanto
Obano
Obasohan
obasuyi
Obamwonyi
Obaro
Obayuwana
Obazona
Obazelu e.t.c

You can check google for more and their meanings..

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:29pm On May 18, 2020
Mhizdebs:

For the second question.

Obazee
Obasogie
Obazuwa
Obaruyi
Obayanto
Obano
Obasohan
obasuyi
Obamwonyi
Obaro
Obayuwana
Obazona
Obazelu e.t.c

You can check google for more..

Thank you, you understand the subject of discussion.

Can you please tell me their meanings?
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:30pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Don't change the Subject of discussion.
Check the above comment

cc: Sammy07

you don't know anything about history especially the Yoruba and Benin history. just learn from us I know you are trying to claim Yoruba supremacy over the Benin, the truth is bitter just accept it that way.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:31pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

Even goggle can give you that.......

Even if i give you it wont prove anything

Give me samuel johnson first publication history if yorubas were he addressed yoruba king as oba

I also need a written document from 1475 to 1914 showing benin and ife connection in European account because i believe oromiyan brought obaship to benin

I also need a statement from Samuel johson book saying oromiyan came to establish benin

Samuel johson is a Yoruba man, he had written the yoruba history at oyo in the year 1897 and published it 1921 so his works will be appreciated

You're illite.rate I swear.

At the beginning of the thread, I said its a Yoruba word, a Benin guy quoted me that's Yoruba borrowed it.

I ask for prove by giving you some questions

You're digressing from the subject of discussion.
Pls, don't quote me again.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:32pm On May 18, 2020
elefind:

cc: Sammy07

you don't know anything about history especially the Yoruba and Benin history. just learn from us I know you are trying to claim Yoruba supremecy over the Benin, the truth is bitter just accept it that way.

I'm not trying to claim Yoruba supremacy.

I only, wanted you to prove your claim that says we borrowed the word from you

Simple as that.
If you're able to do that, I'll accept that we borrowed the word from you.
Simple.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:34pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Thank you, you understand the subject of discussion.

Can you please tell me their meanings?

After the British left the yorubas monarchy quickly changed the name from ooni of ife, sir Adeyeye ogunwusmi to ooni of ife, oba Adeyeye ogunwusmi

Even the previous ooni carried an ada the love for benin culture

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Geekop: 10:35pm On May 18, 2020
2mercy:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/oba-of-benin-queen-iyayota-welcome-baby-boy/

Congratulations...
May God continue to bless and be with the family.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 18, 2020
Oba still dae lash
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:36pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

I'm not trying to claim Yoruba supremacy.

I only, wanted you to prove your claim that says we borrowed the word from you

Simple as that.
If you're able to do that, I'll accept that we borrowed the word from you.
Simple.

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:37pm On May 18, 2020
elefind:

madness dey your head, puppy like you.

I believe you're educated.

Please tell me the meanings of these words

Obazee
Obasogie
Obazuwa
Obaruyi
Obayanto
Obano
Obasohan
obasuyi
Obamwonyi
Obaro
Obayuwana
Obazona
Obazelu
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:38pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

You're illite.rate I swear.

At the beginning of the thread, I said its a Yoruba word, a Benin guy quoted me that's Yoruba borrowed it.

I ask for prove by giving you some questions

You're digressing from the subject of discussion.
Pls, don't quote me again.

Ok sir
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:39pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

I believe you're educated.
Please tell me the meanings of these words
Obazee Obasogie Obazuwa Obaruyi Obayanto Obano Obasohan obasuyi Obamwonyi Obaro Obayuwana Obazona Obazelu
guy why you dey take this matter personal?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

German Woman Dressed Like A Nigerian - Photos / Ooni Of Ife Meets Brazilian President, Lula / Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale-akanbi: The Oluwo Of Iwo (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.