Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,573 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy (56100 Views)

Oba Of Benin Welcome Quadruplets With 5th Wife / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Truthbites: 6:41am On May 19, 2020
ahamonyeka:
future king is born!

oba gha atokpe ise!

There's already a king. New baby is a prince.not king
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by darediamond(m): 6:50am On May 19, 2020
Damson22:
Pls guys, is benin part of Yoruba land, because of the title "oba"
Benin being pronounced today was actually pronounced "Ile IBINU" i.e re/do do/mi/mi
It is not only IleIbinu that is part of Yoruba Nation. You have Still "AWON AWA ISE KIRI" known today as Itshekiri. They are from Ijebu Waterside.
There king tittle is know as "Olu of Warri".
Other Yorubas are in Benin Republic known as "Ajase" and till date they call them selves Yorubas too.

Other Yorubas are in present day Kogi State.

If All Yoruba Lands are to be Re-united (which BRITAIN and FRANCE fears and hate so much) then the Landmass would extremely Gigantic.

OMO Yoruba ni mio with SWAGA!!!

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by darediamond(m): 6:56am On May 19, 2020
Damson22:

But I heard that it was Yoruba ( oranmiyan) king that rule them.
Yes. Oranmiyan named the land "Ile Ibinu" back then.
Infiltration of non-Yorubas over the centuries after Oranmiya era caused the alteration of the Land name Correct Pronounciation.

But the Ile Ibinu People of today would never agree as they wanna be distinct but even the Colonial Masters and Nigeria Constitution sees them as part of SOUTH WEST.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Youngjohnosas: 6:58am On May 19, 2020
PureFace1:

Which Benin Colony are you talking about when Benin itself was a Yoruba Colony?
U meant the great Benin Empire that conquered territories was a colony of a chest beating Yoruba.pls stop taking weeds OK.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:58am On May 19, 2020
elefind:

oba is an Edo word meaning Bright. i.e omo no ba, also mean the bright son.
that's why oba only wear two colors of clothes which white or red. these two colors represent light. the obas of Benin from the previous dynasty was called Ogiso meaning the one from the sky or the prince from the sky. sky also represent light which means Oba in translation.

Hmmm,Oba means "Bright" in your language,that's fine. In Yoruba language, it means King that is "Oba to ba lori ohun gbogbo,alase ekeji orisha" ! The unquestionable king,the representative of gods who reigns for ever ! Kings don't die in Yoruba land because they are gods on earth.

Oranmiyan,son of the third Alaafin of Oyo,Sango actually established obaship system in benin. He established Benin kingdom as a matter of fact and that was why it was forbidden for the Oyo warriors to wage war east of Oyo empire where Benin was situated. A prince from Oyo,Oranmiyan established Benin kingdom. It may interest you to know that Oyo empire had it boundaries in present day Niger state and extended far beyond the shore of Nigeria to Benin republic and Togo. Check the map of old Oyo empire for confirmation. That's why it is amusing when you guys claim that you established Lagos as a "war camp" ! The question is which war did you fight against the Yoruba ? You certainly must have conquered all the Yoruba lands from ondo state to Ogun state and down to Lagos for you to establish any "war camp" in Lagos. There is no account of any such war and your claim doesn't make any sense.

There is a document in the British archive which shows that the official language spoken at the palace of Oba of Benin as recent as early 1930s was actually Yoruba language ! If I can still lay my hands on that document,I will post it here. Yoruba actually influenced your culture and it is not other way round as some people desperately want us to believe. Oba is a Yoruba word hence " Oba a to, a pe o, ase ! This means may the king live and reign for long. This is what you corruptly translated in your language to "Oba gha to kpere" or something.

Take a look at the sitting arrangement in the attached picture to have an idea of my points.

You guys can't rewrite history !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by jrusky(m): 7:03am On May 19, 2020
elefind:

izoduwa is the name and it was miss pronounced by Yorubas as oduduwa.

Bro all these blabla don't really worth it. Congratlate the king or keep quiet if you are alien to historical fact. I can't understand from which pit of hell your nonsense Izoduwa emanated from.

Edo are my inlaw but I must tell you today Mr the earlier you all kick sentiment out of your brain and accept history that Benin is part of Yoruba kingdom the better for you all take it or burst it. Google is your friend.

Moreso its better you realise you people can not sit on the fence you are not classified as Igbo nor Niger Delta and your forefather lineage which is Yoruba root you denounced it with reason best known to some of you, so Mr where do you belong?

As I said congratulate the king or go next topic and stop being exceptionally ignorant.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Youngjohnosas: 7:05am On May 19, 2020
Sammy07:

It's not our fault that God bless us wink
the OyO and Ibadan Empires put together wouldn't match the Benin Empire, we know the Yorubas today be cheast beaters so no need trading words with them,

Benin Empire sent shivers down the spines of kingdoms around, the Yoruba kings that fled at the sight of the white men, they are not worthy to be called kings.. Awon chest beaters.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Youngjohnosas: 7:11am On May 19, 2020
jrusky:

Bro all these blabla don't really worth it. Congratlate the king or keep quiet if you are alien to historical fact. I can't understand from which pit of hell your nonsense Izoduwa emanated from.

Edo are my inlaw but I must tell you today Mr the earlier you all kick sentiment out of your brain and accept history that Benin is part of Yoruba kingdom the better for you all take it or burst it. Google is your friend.

Moreso its better you realise you people can not sit on the fence you are not classified as Igbo nor Niger Delta and your forefather lineage which is Yoruba root you denounced it with reason best known to some of you, so Mr where do you belong?

As I said congratulate the king or go next topic and stop being exceptionally ignorant.
you are just talking nonsense, your emotions is taking the better part of U, Everything the white man did was just a punishment today Benin Empire for the resistance it put all against them and the fear that if the man was allowed too stand again it would try tomorrow fight back.

they knew the Yorubas where Empty chest beaters and posed no threats to them, how can the great Benin Empire be an off shoot of the chest beating Yoruba. does it sound logical to you?

can a goat ever give birth to a lion?

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by cyrilamx(m): 7:13am On May 19, 2020
Sammy07:

If it means Bright.
I have two questions.

1. What does Obaseki means

2. Give me 5 Edo words that's has Oba in between, and tell me their meanings
Obaseki was a title created by Oba Ovonramwen and bestowed on his longtime friend, Agho Ogbedeoyo who stood by him during his trials b4 ascending the throne. it means "the favour of the Oba surpasses mere success in trade.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by odigie100(m): 7:14am On May 19, 2020
[quote author=2mercy post=89696961]

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/oba-of-benin-queen-iyayota-welcome-baby-boy/

[/quote ] A very BIG CONGRATULATIONS to his Majesty omo n oba n Edo uku akpolo kpolo Oba gha to kpere ise
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 7:23am On May 19, 2020
dammywizzy:
I thought they said the Oba doesn't smile, so why is he smiling in this picture?

He doesn't in public traditional functions.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by jrusky(m): 7:23am On May 19, 2020
Youngjohnosas:
you are just talking nonsense, your emotions is taking the better part of U, Everything the white man did was just a punishment today Benin Empire for the resistance it put all against them and the fear that if the man was allowed too stand again it would try tomorrow fight back.

they knew the Yorubas where Empty chest beaters and posed no threats to them, how can the great Benin Empire be an off shoot of the chest beating Yoruba. does it sound logical to you?

can a goat ever give birth to a lion?

Alright no problem if that is your conclusion and I wish you good luck.

You will one day explain which part of Nigerian entity you belong to ok. Its so unfortunate that you are here calling Yoruba chest beater its so strange all I know is its my own people that chest beat but you turning the clock to Yoruba means you must be one of those Edos suffering from demoted IQ.

Till the world will end and come again Benin or Edo can never stand where Yoruba or Igbo or Hausa/Fulani are. Pls to hook yourself in the crevies of complexity will doom you better come out and get life.

Pls do you think Yoruba even need you. Bro you need help I swear. Pesin wey dem no want for meeting wey dey raise song na who go follow am sing d song abeg? You beta go sit your a s s somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 7:26am On May 19, 2020
Congratulations to the only one true Monarch.

Long may you reign!

PS: please, before you quote me, realise that in Nigeria, a Monarch is a traditional ruler/King, but not all Traditional rulers/Kings are monarchs.

Only the Benin Kingdom out the first class Kings practices true monarchy.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by ab3ce: 7:29am On May 19, 2020
cloud6999:
Must surely be a Bastard..

King has low sperm count

May God forgive you ��
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by MICHEALADEX(m): 7:37am On May 19, 2020
Welcome som of the soil
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 7:43am On May 19, 2020
Damson22:
Pls guys, is benin part of Yoruba land, because of the title "oba"
no
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by cyrilamx(m): 7:43am On May 19, 2020
darediamond:

Yes. Oranmiyan named the land "Ile Ibinu" back then.
Infiltration of non-Yorubas over the centuries after Oranmiya era caused the alteration of the Land name Correct Pronounciation.

But the Ile Ibinu People of today would never agree as they wanna be distinct but even the Colonial Masters and Nigeria Constitution sees them as part of SOUTH WEST.
Please can you tell me where Oduduwa was from? Not the fairy tale of hd fell from the sky. We Binis have incontrovertible evidence that Oduduwa was an exiled bini prince, son of the last Ogiso(sky king) who refuge in Ile Ife. when asked what was his name by gestures, he pointed to the sky cos his father title was "Sky king" therefore he son of the sky king. This the Ife people meant he fell from the sky. To this days that is the belief of the average Yorubas. But the new Oba of Benin pointed it out to them in presence of their Ooni that Oduduwa was the long exiled Benin Prince Ekaladerhan who later changed his name to IZODUWA on finding refuge in Ife meaning I have chosen my destiny, which the Ife people corrupted to Oduduwa. if not, can the Yorubas tell us where Oduduwa came from? We need a historical facts.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:46am On May 19, 2020
Youngjohnosas:
that picture showed nothing, it's tradition in Benin for the omon Ada to stand beside the Oba so it was the best sitting arrangement to accommodate our tradition .

secondly because the British knew the Yorubas and Hausas where pupets in their hands they made laws today favor them whilst the Benin people where seen as aggressors and militants because they never backed out even at the point of death.

the British only reawarded the cowardice of the Yoruba nation .

Who cares whatever you choose to believe ! Now take a look at this - your traditionalists in Benin worship all these deities "Sango", " Ogun", "IFA", " Obatala", "Oshun", "Oya" etc , right ? Where do you this they all came from ? They were (still are) powerful men and women of Yoruba ancestry who turned deities. I earlier informed you that "Sango" was the 3rd Alaafin of Oyo. "Ogun" was from 'Ile Aro' in Yoruba land,etc.

As for the picture,it says a lot ! The British colonised Nigeria; they know our history based on fact. They know that your Oba is actually a prince from Yoruba land hence,it would be disrespectful for him to share the front row line with the Ooni of Ife as seen in that picture.

Come to think of it, do you think Yoruba people actually care whatever you choose to call yourself ? You are inconsequential to us; people whose traditions take the back seat !
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by icebird25(m): 7:47am On May 19, 2020
jrusky:

You will one day explain which part of Nigerian entity you belong to ok. Its so unfortunate that you are here calling Yoruba chest beater its so strange all I know is its my own people that chest beat but you turning the clock to Yoruba means you must be one of those Edos suffering from demoted IQ.

Till the world will end and come again Benin or Edo can never stand where Yoruba or Igbo or Hausa/Fulani are. Pls to hook yourself in the crevies of complexity will doom you better come out and get life.

Pls do you think Yoruba even need you. Bro you need help I swear. Pesin wey dem no want for meeting wey dey raise song na who go follow am sing d song abeg? You beta go sit your a s s somewhere.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:50am On May 19, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:

Hmmm,Oba means "Bright" in your language,that's fine. In Yoruba language, it means King that is "Oba to ba lori ohun gbogbo,alase ekeji orisha" ! The unquestionable king,the representative of gods who reigns for ever ! Kings don't die in Yoruba land because they are gods on earth.

Oranmiyan,son of the third Alaafin of Oyo,Sango actually established obaship system in benin. He established Benin kingdom as a matter of fact and that was why it was forbidden for the Oyo warriors to wage war east of Oyo empire where Benin was situated. A prince from Oyo,Oranmiyan established Benin kingdom. It may interest you to know that Oyo empire had it boundaries in present day Niger state and extended far beyond the shore of Nigeria to Benin republic and Togo. Check the map of old Oyo empire for confirmation. That's why it is amusing when you guys claim that you established Lagos as a "war camp" ! The question is which war did you fight against the Yoruba ? You certainly must have conquered all the Yoruba lands from ondo state to Ogun state and down to Lagos for you to establish any "war camp" in Lagos. There is no account of any such war and your claim doesn't make any sense.

There is a document in the British archive which shows that the official language spoken at the palace of Oba of Benin as recent as early 1930s was actually Yoruba language ! If I can still lay my hands on that document,I will post it here. Yoruba actually influenced your culture and it is not other way round as some people desperately want us to believe. Oba is a Yoruba word hence " Oba a to, a pe o, ase ! This means may the king live and reign for long. This is what you corruptly translated in your language to "Oba gha to kpere" or something.

Take a look at the sitting arrangement in the attached picture to have an idea of my points.

You guys can't rewrite history !

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 7:53am On May 19, 2020
jrusky:

the question is why are you so pained? You trying to say that Nigeria is made up of only 3 ethnic groups means you've a very low Iq.

Inferiority complex is very far from the average Benin man because we know our history and we've pride in that.

Because you people have more population or landmass doesn't mean we should accept the gibberish yoruba media keep dishing out about Benin.

I don't know the nonsense history they might have taught you people but let it be known we aren't similar in any war neither do we consider you people as "family or enemy".

Why should we compare ourselves to hausa, Yoruba or igbo? The only thing they've more than us is population and landmass.

Ask your selves if an average hausa Yoruba or igbo man is better than an average benin man

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 7:57am On May 19, 2020
I don't know why some yorubas are so obsess and want Benins to claim yoruba as cousin.

You claim oduduwa fell from heaven, some even claim he trekked from middle East to ile ife, you don't see benins trying to persuade you people out of your myth stories.

Even oba of Lagos can attest to it, there's the king in ondo that claim he's from Benin, there are many king's in South West that claim Benin origin and they all have our symbol of authority but you'll never see a Benin king claiming he's Yoruba
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by martineverest(m): 7:58am On May 19, 2020
xpool:

Exactly why hereditary kingship is everlasting slavery.
You and your offsprings are subjects in perpetuity
thank you sir..... that's none of your business
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by valirex: 7:59am On May 19, 2020
jrusky:

We love how you carry our matter for head. It's a good thing cos we want our gospel to go viral cheesy using your oversized population. Don't forget to invite more of your brothers to this thread grin
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 8:00am On May 19, 2020
Just because you people have bigger population and bigger landmass doesn't mean we should asslick you and throw out our thousand years of history just to fit in.

Our peak history might have passed but it's a known fact the yorubas haven't done half of what we achieved, as big as their population they can't even break away from a British colony, all they want is begging for presidency every 4 years.

You claimed to be better than us but what is your achievement?

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by valirex: 8:01am On May 19, 2020
xpool:

Exactly why hereditary kingship is everlasting slavery.
You and your offsprings are subjects in perpetuity

We love this attention bro the way you carry our matter for head wink, call in your brothers to join you. We need our gospel to go viral. cheesy
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Nobody: 8:02am On May 19, 2020
I really think they are jealous because we didn't sell ourselves to the white men neither did we asslick them, from North America to south America, yorubas slaves descendants are there, a testimony to their rubbish and tainted history.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Youngjohnosas: 8:07am On May 19, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:

Who cares whatever you choose to believe ! Now take a look at this - your traditionalists in Benin worship all these deities "Sango", " Ogun", "IFA", " Obatala", "Oshun", "Oya" etc , right ? Where do you this they all came from ? They were (still are) powerful men and women of Yoruba ancestry who turned deities. I earlier informed you that "Sango" was the 3rd Alaafin of Oyo. "Ogun" was from 'Ile Aro' in Yoruba land,etc.

As for the picture,it says a lot ! The British colonised Nigeria; they know our history based on fact. They know that your Oba is actually a prince from Yoruba land hence,it would be disrespectful for him to share the front row line with the Ooni of Ife as seen in that picture.

Come to think of it, do you think Yoruba people actually care whatever you choose to call yourself ? You are inconsequential to us; people whose traditions take the back seat !
the British knew nothing,even If they did, they simply sabotaged the whole process to benefit their selfish interests.

the British do not forgive easily, they only mingle with puppets, most Yoruba kings fled from their throne at the sight of the white men, the whites were super pleased with the cowardice of the Yoruba nation and decided to reward her.

To the white men the Benin Empire was a threat to her activities so they did everything possible to relegate the powers of the Empire. Two years after the Benin Empire was burnt down Benin soldiers still led guerrilla warfare against the British forces,all the act of the British was to weaken the history and powers of Benin.

we are inconsequential but yet you guys masturbate around anytime the great Oba of Benin is mentioned.i can never take any Yoruba man seriously.you guys are always feeling insecure. why make someone inconsequential a subject of discourse.werey chest beaters Association of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Youngjohnosas: 8:12am On May 19, 2020
Igbosmoker:
I really think they are jealous because we didn't sell ourselves to the white men neither did we asslick them, from North America to south America, yorubas slaves descendants are there, a testimony to their rubbish and tainted history.
they feel too insecure anytime Benin is mentioned. if the Yorubas were great like they they always portrayed, How come they were the worst affected by slavery, it takes nothing for a superior power to sell a lesser one into slavery,the epicenter of slavery in West Africa. it really showed the Yorubas were empty chest beaters.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by jrusky(m): 8:15am On May 19, 2020
valirex:

We love how you carry our matter for head. It's a good thing cos we want our gospel to go viral cheesy using your oversized population. Don't forget to invite more of your brothers to this thread grin

Truth hurts.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Youngjohnosas: 8:15am On May 19, 2020
[quote author=OROSUNBOLB post=89709638][/quote] this one Don smoke. your points are fictitious and baseless, go siddon for one corner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Need Edo Names / German Woman Dressed Like A Nigerian - Photos / Ooni Of Ife Meets Brazilian President, Lula

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.