Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy (56071 Views)

Oba Of Benin Welcome Quadruplets With 5th Wife / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, His Wives And Children In Cute Family Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by diplomat058(m): 10:43pm On May 18, 2020
elefind:

Don't be a fool bro, learn from your master.
You are not Yoruba, stop lying. If you are, you wouldn't concur with that ignorant fellow that said that the word, 'Oba' entered the Yoruba royal lexicon in 1970. Lol

I guess Yoruba classical deity, Obatala also existed after 1970. Sango Olukoso Oba areku jaiye, Alaafin of Old Oyo and an immortalised deity also existed after 1970. What of Obalufon of Ife, Obateru of Ugbo, and Obadare, the Prophet? They all adopted the Benin word, Oba, after 1970?

You are a joke, honestly. By your logic, even Obafemi Awolowo used the Obafemi as a name after 1970, cos Obafemi means the king love me. If Oba was not traditionally known as kings in Yoruba land, how do we have names like Obafemi from the olden days

Lol, baba goan sleep. you don't know jack about history

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 10:43pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Thank you, you understand the subject of discussion.
Can you please tell me their meanings?
Like I s 1. If not for the king . 2.The king is more than a prominent chief 3.The king choose wealth 4.The king is glorious 5.The king owns the land 6.The true king 7. The king is worthy to be feared 8.The king is worth glorious 9.The king has glory 10. The king exist 11.The king is wealth 12.The king choose this 13.A palace title

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by PureFace1(m): 10:44pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

If it means Bright.
I have two questions.

1. What does Obaseki means

2. Give me 5 Edo words that's has Oba in between, and tell me their meanings

Guy are you new on Nairaland?

Stop arguing about Yoruba and Edo, let them claim whatever they like
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:44pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07 please go and study. you need more understanding. thanks for your time.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:45pm On May 18, 2020
elefind:

guy why you dey take this matter personal?

Why did you quote me in the first place
When you know you can't prove it.

Obafemi
Obawaja
Madeoba
Otun Oba
Obatala
Obanioluwa
Obanlani Jesu.

Obama means King in those above words.

Kindly tell me the meaning of
Obazee
Obasogie
Obazuwa
Obaruyi
Obayanto
Obano
Obasohan
obasuyi
Obamwonyi
Obaro
Obayuwana
Obazona
Obazelu

In Benin language simple.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 10:46pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Why did you quote me in the first place When you know you can't prove it.
Obafemi Obawaja Madeoba Otun Oba Obatala Obanioluwa Obanlani Jesu.

Kindly tell me the meaning of Obazee Obasogie Obazuwa Obaruyi Obayanto Obano Obasohan obasuyi Obamwonyi Obaro Obayuwana Obazona Obazelu

Same with the Binis.Some languages shares the same meaning to their words.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by KanwuliaExtra: 10:46pm On May 18, 2020

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:46pm On May 18, 2020
diplomat058:
You are not Yoruba, stop lying. If you are, you wouldn't concur with that ignorant fellow that said that the word, 'Oba' entered the Yoruba royal lexicon in 1970. Lol

I guess Yoruba classical deity, Obatala also existed after 1970. Sango Olukoso Oba areku jaiye, Alaafin of Old Oyo and an immortalised deity also existed after 1970. What of Obalufon of Ife, Obateru of Ugbo, and Obadare, the Prophet? They all adopted the Benin word, Oba, after 1970?

You are a joke, honestly. By your logic, even Obafemi Awolowo used the Obafemi as a name after 1970, cos Obafemi means the king love me. If Oba was not traditionally known as kings in Yoruba land, how do we have names like Obafemi from the olden days

They will divert your attention to another thing.

They can't reason logically

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Lastmankc(m): 10:48pm On May 18, 2020
2mercy:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/oba-of-benin-queen-iyayota-welcome-baby-boy/

Why must he call Almighty God? Do they really worship God? Because I know how these things goes
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 10:48pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Why did you quote me in the first place When you know you can't prove it.
Obafemi Obawaja Madeoba Otun Oba Obatala Obanioluwa Obanlani Jesu.

Kindly tell me the meaning of Obazee Obasogie Obazuwa Obaruyi Obayanto Obano Obasohan obasuyi Obamwonyi Obaro Obayuwana Obazona Obazelu

I just did that
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:49pm On May 18, 2020
Mhizdebs:

Same with the Binis.Some languages shares the same meaning to their words.

but I was told Oba means shining
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 10:50pm On May 18, 2020
diplomat058:

What i said was it was adopted in the 1970 as general title to represent kingship in Yoruba in replacement of sir

Benin got this word oba to yorubas long time ago while conquering you lot
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Lastmankc(m): 10:51pm On May 18, 2020
cloud6999:
Must surely be a Bastard..

King has low sperm count
Guy, nobody fit sleep with oba wife like that
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 10:51pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

but I was told Oba means shining
I don't know about shining.
To the best of my knowledge as a Bini girl "OBA" in Bini language means His royal majesty the King

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by eseosa77(m): 10:54pm On May 18, 2020
ahamonyeka:
future king is born!

oba gha atokpe ise!

FYI the new baby is not the future king! The future king who is the heir apparent was born by the first wife. He is Ezelekhae Ewuare.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 10:54pm On May 18, 2020
Mhizdebs:
To the best of my knowledge as a Bini girl "OBA" in Bini language means His royal majesty the King

Okay, what of Obaseki??

The King ........ ?
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:55pm On May 18, 2020
Mhizdebs:

you be small bikin, indomie generation.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by PureFace1(m): 10:57pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

What i said was it was adopted in the 1970 as general title to represent kingship in Yoruba in replacement of sir

What is this one saying?

Oba means King in Yoruba Language but words like Ooni of Ife, Alaafin of Oyo, Owa of Obokun etc are all titles.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 10:58pm On May 18, 2020
grin
elefind:

Thank you o.. But I still tried my best grin
elefind:

Thank you o.. But I still tried my best

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Lastmankc(m): 10:58pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

Every word got its etymology

The word oba is bright (shinny) that is for the etymology of the word oba

The meaning is king

And yorubas stole it after 1970 to rep thier king

Before 1970 the British addresses the yoruba monarchs as ooni of ife, sir Adeyemi ogun....

To give the royal title prestige they adopted the title oba in replacement of the British sir

You lot even fancy our ada too, but you yorubas couldn't adopt it because it was obvious not yorubas too

This table you are shaking will break on your head oooo
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 10:58pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Okay, what of Obaseki??

The King ........ ?

Sammy07

over 80% of benins below 25years can't speak the language or understand the history. stop asking that babe rhetorical questions

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Lastmankc(m): 11:00pm On May 18, 2020
DTaj:
There are too many hypocrites and tribal/religious bigots on Nairaland.

When, recently, one of the wives of the deposed Emir Sanusi of Kano gave birth, he, the wife, and Kano people were insulted to no end.

Now, today, Oba of Benin, who is even older than Sanusi, has had a new baby, but the shameless hypocrites are congratulating the queen, the Oba, Benin people, and praising the king's heritage.

Hatred kills...
Your eyes just they clear now abi?

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Lastmankc(m): 11:04pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Answer my question.

If Oba is a Benin word.
It should has different sentences where the word can be used and Shining or King will appear. And will retain her meanings.

E.g in Yoruba we have The word.

Ola
Olamide
Olayemi
Olayonu
Abimbola
Oladapo
Oladimeji
Oladipo.

The Word Ola has the same meaning (wealth) in all the above words.

You ain't chatting with a toddler here.

Cc: gregdyboy
What is the meaning of olaniyi? Or Ramuotu? Those names have funny meaning in ibo dialect
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Mhizdebs(f): 11:04pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Okay, what of Obaseki??
The King ........ ?
The king is more than valuable than the success of trade.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 11:05pm On May 18, 2020
PureFace1:

What is this one saying?

Oba means King in Yoruba Language but words like Ooni of Ife, Alaafin of Oyo, Owa of Obokun etc are all titles.

... Wetin you dey talk guy....

You dey talk nonsense

What does title represent

The benin oba title is

Omo n oba nedo ukwakpolopolo ewuare no gidigan (full title)

In short form he is called omo n oba or oba
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by gregyboy(m): 11:07pm On May 18, 2020
Lastmankc:
This table you are shaking will break on your head oooo

Talk wirh sense......

Your family head..... Ozwor

Ugwogwa vba gbon

Mannerless human beign
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by diplomat058(m): 11:09pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

The royal eulogy of Alaafin Sango of Old Oyo was 'Sanjo, Olukoso, OBA areku jaiye' which means 'Sango, Chief-in-Charge, a KING of affluence' I am poised to ask you, did Benin, at any point in time, conquer Oyo?

There is a royal title in IFE called OBALUFON of ILE IFE, its a royal stool, subservient to the Ooni of Ife. Did Benin ever conquer Ife?

Obafemi means the king love me, and the word has existed for hundreds of years. if OBA has not always meant KING in yorubaland, why do we have classical names like OBAFEMI?

Why is it that Benin never had an OBA until ORAMIYAN went there from IFE. That, alone, signifies that it was a borrowed culture from IFE which the Binis were privileged to adopt, courtesy of ORAMIYAN who came from Ife and left his child, EWEKA to be crowed the first OBA of Benin.

Benin (Bini) itself was a corrupted Yoruba word from the word, Ile Ibinu. The name was given by ORAMIYAN, in his angry reaction to the conspiracy of the kingmakers against him. He had a child there and departed for Oyo. The Bini Kingdom was formerly called Igodomigido, under the rule of the Ogisos. Portuguese corrupted BINI as BENIN and the new term sticks

There is a market in Ibadan called OJA-OBA, adjacent the Olubadan's Palace. OJA-OBA means THE KING'S MARKET. The market has existed since the 19th century, for close to 200 years.

Lol

5 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by PureFace1(m): 11:14pm On May 18, 2020
Lastmankc:
What is the meaning of olaniyi? Or Ramuotu? Those names have funny meaning in ibo dialect

Olaniyi means "Wealth have Honour" in Yoruba

Ramuotu is a Muslim name from the Quraan
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 11:17pm On May 18, 2020
Lastmankc:

Olaniyi means wealth has honour.

Ramuotu it's spelt ramatu or ramotu, it's an Islamic name
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 11:21pm On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

... Wetin you dey talk guy....

You dey talk nonsense

What does title represent

The benin oba title is

Omo n oba nedo ukwakpolopolo ewuare no gidigan (full title)

In short form he is called omo n oba or oba

Mr, man.
You don't understand English.
Title is different from Name.

In Benin
Title --- Oba of Benin
When saying his name - Omo'oba So so..
English --- His royal majesty so so ..

In Igbo
Title -- Obi of Onisha
When saying his name --- igwe so so...
English --- His royal majesty so so.

In Yoruba
Title -- Alaafin of Oyo
When saying is name -- Oba so so..
English -- His royal majesty so so..

When I told you in the first place that you didn't go to school, Shey I lie

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by Sammy07: 11:22pm On May 18, 2020
Mhizdebs:

The king is more than valuable than the success of trade.

Na wa oooo.
You guys are contradicting yourself
Re: Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy by elefind(m): 11:24pm On May 18, 2020
Sammy07:

Na wa oooo. You guys are contradicting yourself
na you dey contradict issues.
you nor wan learn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

German Woman Dressed Like A Nigerian - Photos / Ooni Of Ife Meets Brazilian President, Lula / Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale-akanbi: The Oluwo Of Iwo (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.