Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) (108741 Views)

Auchi Polytechnic Student Used ₦100 Notes For Exam Malpractice (Pictured) / IPPIS: I Earn Salary Of Graduate Assistant - Sulyman Abdulkareem, VC Unilorin / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by acetylcholine(f): 7:57pm On May 19, 2020
olawalepopoola:
It is unfortunate that we are in this mess.
I have a lecturer friend in FUTA and while discussing with him, he said his basic salary plus his allowances amounts to 140,000 as an assistant lecturer.
As a lecturer 2 in a private University in Nigeria I earn 130,000 monthly without allowances.
My questions are;
1. If the table is correct, why is it not showing their allowances e.g. hazard allowance, car allowance and the rest. I believe in every payslip, this is broken down.
2. With this peanut, how do you except breakthrough research when most lecturers use their 'gross' income to pay for article publications in gold open access journals.
China made landmarks in researches not because their scientists are only good, but because their government gave priority to research.
In China you are paid RMB100,000 for publishing in a 1 impact factor SCI journal. They have alot of research funding agencies (how many do we have in Nigeria).
Even a PhD student allowance in China is greater than that of a Professor in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, we don't have functional laboratories. As a Geologist, we don't trust data coming from Nigerian labs because they might have been doctored. We send our samples mostly to ACTLAB or ACME labs in Canada. This is ridiculous I believe.
Compared to Universities in Namibia, Nigerian Professors are paid an Assistant Lecturer salary in that country. Why do you think our best scholars are leaving the shores of this nation. If I have the opportunity too, I will run for my dear life.

Some complained that some lecturers teach in more than 2 public Universities. Firstly, I want you to know the basic requirements for teaching in a University is a PhD. It is because of dearth of PhD holders that this happen in Nigeria. To gain full accreditation, you need to have more of PhD holders on your team than just misters with M. Sc. Many fields lack these degree holders. Getting a PhD in Nigeria is a nightmare except you are favoured by God.

Aftermath of this ASUU protest.
1. Each University will be forced to look inwards to meet their needs. School fees will be sky rocketed. I forsee Universities students paying up 400,000K per session in not too distant future.

Nigeria is in shambles only God can help us.

Instead of the public to support ASSU to fight the corrupt politicians so that universities can be better funded, they are busy calling them names. Personally, since the public do not understand ASSU's struggle, let us see how many of them will be able to send their children to federal universities when the school fees becomes 400k. Na then their eyes go clear. " A n gba ediye lowo iku, oni won o je oun je aatan"

3 Likes

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by osazsky(m): 8:07pm On May 19, 2020
EricBloodAxe:
While the politicians are piling up allowances upon allowances minus their basic salaries and changing cars every 4yrs to the detriment of the nation's economy, they chose to leverage on their unending pillagery by initiating dubious schemes to shortchange hardworking lecturers who toil to impact knowledge everyday under mundane conditions in our decaying institutions.

It's a shame that a man who promised eldorado for legitimate, hardworking Nigerians in 2015 is the same person who is frolicking with dubious, criminally minded politicians to shortchange the masses. If the so called IPPIS cannot be introduced for Nigerian politicians, let ASUU stay away from the univerisities till further notice.
don't believe those lecturers...they are all scam...ippis pays the same salaries. It doesnt reduce the amt..nor ur cadre..it is only a means or channel of payment.. as an accountant my salaries remain unchanged from what I earn when givt brought subvention and now that I am been paid with ippis we all know the reason they don't want to join...u cant have 2 federal jobs...if a sch is understaffed they should employ freshers .my friend who is a phds holder and very intelligent remain unemployed till today what a pitty and some have 3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by osazsky(m): 8:09pm On May 19, 2020
acetylcholine:

Instead of the public to support ASSU to fight the corrupt politicians so that universities can be better funded, they are busy calling them names. Personally, since the public do not understand ASSU's struggle, let us see how many of them will be able to send their children to federal universities when the school fees becomes 400k. Na then their eyes go clear. " A n gba ediye lowo iku, oni won o je oun je aatan"
this means u don't know assu...we are in d sys we dey see everything for bursary. Make I shut up sha before I go involve myself.i don't know who might see this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Mosco100(m): 8:15pm On May 19, 2020
Next time, vote a professor as President
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:31pm On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:

sense they wetin you just talk. boys don they get brain now, even if you dey on street hustle, you fit own bet shop, you fit use your car for uber and bolt, you fit get real trade skill, and if FG slot for job open you fit plug yourself, as oneway no fit sustain anybody this days

Gee boy.... See as u dey Para... gringrin

U shall Wan justify ur act...

Sumtin u can not come forward and say b4 Sars that u r a yahoo boy.

Can u fill it in a form at American embassy, fill yahoo fraudster as occupation

3 Likes

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:32pm On May 19, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Lol.. what I've attained in this life, he can never get there with his professorship.. we no be mates.
And if death comes, what is ur gain??

1 Like

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Exc2000: 8:34pm On May 19, 2020
DenreleDave:

Gee boy.... See as u dey Para... gringrin

U shall Wan justify ur act...

Sumtin u can not come forward and say b4 Sars that u r a yahoo boy.

Can u fill it in a form at American embassy, fill yahoo fraudster as occupation

My son, why don't you go outside to play with sand and your teddy bear.. we Adults are discussing important stuffs on how to get money to pay your school fees for the kindergarten class that you are in... make sure you return the Phone to your elder brother so you don't spoil it Bye

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:36pm On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:

My son, why don't you go outside to play with sand and your teddy bear.. we Adults are discussing important stuffs on how to get money to pay your school fees for the kindergarten class that you are in... make sure you return the Phone to your elder brother so you don't spoil it Bye

U scared? U can't answer my question? I see... Now swerve... U don't av d nerve to reply such question

2 Likes

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:42pm On May 19, 2020
Asadujames202:

How!
You mean I should email you?
Yeeee Omo yeeeeebooooo Wan learn fraud join the one u inherit b4 gringringrin
Waat happened to selling spare part or fake drugs?

1 Like

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by mofedamijo(m): 8:43pm On May 19, 2020
acetylcholine:

That is mere hearsay. No professor earns a basic salary of 600k. Even professors that taught me don't earn this. My point is let your conclusions be based on facts, not what you heard.

Lol.....the professors who taught you and my father are two different things, so chill.....
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Exc2000: 8:43pm On May 19, 2020
DenreleDave:

U scared? U can't answer my question? I see... Now swerve... U don't av d nerve to reply such question

ok My Son, as it Stand In My family I have a UK trained Lawyer , A retired Police DCP (State CID Iyaganku) and a Naval Officer (SBS), I have being to the UK and resided in Dubai , Ajman, Abudhabi and Sharjah.. being to Doha and Muscat Oman so my child my occupation pays me very well and I don't have issues at any embassy as my 6 month statement of account is cool for almost all western country, my registered company is doing fan, and I haven't seen that SARs in Ibadan (post office Dugbe) or Federal Sars in Lagos (Alagbon) or Panti that would stop my Vehicle let alone arrest me.. make your research on who they call Layi SARS and and SAheed SARS this are our egbons that we lounge together

So my child you better start taking you life serious or else poverty would do you strong thing, when your papa stop paying you daily allowance and money to barb hair

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:49pm On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:

ok My Son, as it Stand In My family I have a UK trained Lawyer , A retired Police DCP (State CID Iyaganku) and a Naval Officer (SBS), I have being to the UK and leaved in Dubai , Ajman, Abudhabi and Sharjah.. being to Doha and Muscat Oman so my child my occupation pays me very well and I don't have issues at any embassy as my 6 month statement of account is cool for almost all western company, my registered company is doing fan, and I haven't seen that SARs in Ibadan (post office Dugbe) or Federal Sars in Lagos (Alagbon) or Panti that would stop my Vehicle let alone arrest me.. make your research on who they call Layi SARS and and SAheed SARS this are our egbons that we lounge together

So my child you better start taking you life serious or else poverty would do you strong thing, when your papa stop paying you daily allowance and money to barb hair

U can only thrive bcoz corruption exist... If no corruption, u cant thrive...

Well no be say me sef holy pass.. Man must make it Sha.....
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:52pm On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:

nobody's father can stop me before sef,if you like do drugs na your life be that.. no one was born to be Messengers, people stopped chasing their dreams and accept the position of messenger and that's their life cant stop you from accepting your messenger life of sacrifice... so stop whining if I choose to work smart and not necessarily hard

Ogbonge yahoo boy.. Twale
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Exc2000: 8:54pm On May 19, 2020
DenreleDave:

U can only thrive bcoz corruption exist... If no corruption, u cant thrive...

Well no be say me sef holy pass.. Man must make it Sha.....

Ji Ma Sun, My child ,,, Corruption Thrives everywhere especially in western world, even Isreal and Saudi where your religious scammers came from

so my nigga we thrive everywhere because God gave us that widom and we use it smartly

better have sense this 2020.. or else we would continue enjoy all the cruise you suppose enjoy

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by DenreleDave(m): 8:58pm On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:

Ji Ma Sun, My child ,,, Corruption Thrives everywhere especially in western world, even Isreal and Saudi where your religious scammers came from

so my nigga we thrive everywhere because God gave us that widom and we use it smartly

better have sense this 2020.. or else we would continue enjoy all the cruise you suppose enjoy

Hmmm.. I no dey sun ma broda..

Ona ma LA fun WA sha
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Exc2000: 9:00pm On May 19, 2020
DenreleDave:

Hmmm.. I no dey sun ma broda..

Ona ma LA fun WA sha

lol

Amin Ama ri alanu ade ma ri anu gba
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by MrEgghead(m): 9:31pm On May 19, 2020
Alhaji1970:

No other thing o!
That is the salary of academic staff. No Professor in Nigeria public universities earns #450,000.
When I heard a newly graduated Medical Doctor starts from GL 13 and a lecture with a ph.D starts from GL 10 ( CONUASS 3) I was shocked..To think they earn 130k muzzed me

A newly employed medical officer/ resident doctor earns #189,745 per month...That's basic salary alone o.
I can see why ASUU strikes regularly.
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by onyeka205(m): 10:53pm On May 19, 2020
galaxy2020:
..am sure there other allowances not mentioned
What was presented is the total take home, all the allowances were included
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by onyeka205(m): 10:59pm On May 19, 2020
heykims:
You should also tell us the pay before IPPIS. IPPIS didn't cut down salaries but ensures tax, pension and other deductions are optimally removed.
People in academics have been evading tax for years and IPPIS enrolment will break that.
Mind u, civil servants are generally poorly paid not just professors.
Op is also a liar, there are other allowances attached.
There are no other allowances, what was presented is the total take home

1 Like

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by MoIbrahim: 11:22pm On May 19, 2020
ogbonti:

oga you are comparing apples to oranges - have you asked yourself HOW US PROFESSORS FEEL WHEN THEY HEAR THAT A LOVELY APARTMENT IN A DECENT AREA OF LAGOS GOES FOR N1 million a year which is about what they pay as rent for one month in their smaller apartments in the US?

your problem is that you dreamt last night that you are a billionaire but got angry that you woke up without 100 naira in your pocket. Some things are better left alone and the more you attempt rationalizing - the more you tend to lose your sanity.

you cannot sow rice and reap up cassava. It a like a teacher in Auchi, Edo State asking for the salary of what they pay a teacher in Lagos. So they pay the same amount for things ?

America is America and Nigeria is Nigeria - live with it or remain angry for life- sorry I can’t help you and i am not your enemy either - just life!
So because Nigeria is Nigeria, a professor who earns 340k monthly should feel as rewarded and appreciated as a politician who earns 25million monthly? May be na destiny abi? Or na apple and oranges? Siddon there o
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by MoIbrahim: 11:25pm On May 19, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

I disagree. They have a vibrant private sector that funds mist of their research. Government funding is a fraction of this funding. If today Danfote or adenuga gave money for research in any uni, you and me know how that money will end. The govt itself made a stayement about how funds for research was used to buy cars and houses. Im surprised you have not mentioned that
Fo back and check again. Government budgets hugely for scholarship. Then also works to get the private sector deeply involved.
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by ogajoe(m): 11:26pm On May 19, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

You dey mind them?
Like I always say our people dont understand how a society works.
In oyinbo land the messenger knows he will never be a millionaire and learns to live within his means. You wont see a school teacher rushing to go buy a BMW.
If they want to be millionaires then go into business.
Our people wont go into business dem no go provide services yet they want govt to write big checks for them
Your networth is equal to the value you create by meeting needs
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by ogajoe(m): 11:29pm On May 19, 2020
Exc2000:

nobody's father can stop me before sef,if you like do drugs na your life be that.. no one was born to be Messengers, people stopped chasing their dreams and accept the position of messenger and that's their life cant stop you from accepting your messenger life of sacrifice... so stop whining if I choose to work smart and not necessarily hard
Good luck to you bro, u r d bomb
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by ogajoe(m): 11:41pm On May 19, 2020
ogbonti:

the professors are greedy. Why are they comparing the salary to the US$? do they live in America? are they spending their salaries in America? For goodness sakes, these are supposed to be academic egg heads and they are acting and reasoning worse than illiterates. Do they understand what the term standard of living means? A US professor in a regular University which is not Ivy-League makes average of $6,000 to $8,000 a month (gross) for instance lives on that same level with a Nigerian professor making N350,000 in terms of standard of living!

How you may ask

While the US professor feeds his family and pays his rents (let me use rent rather than mortgage for easy understanding by folks who do not live in the USA) say about $2,000 averagely a month if he lives in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana or Alabama, in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts or California, then he is paying almost double of that averagely and the wage difference is not more than $1,000 or so

By the time the Professor service his students loans for maybe 4 or 5 degrees he acquired, almost $2,500 extra is gone from that check. And then he pays car note which may be up to $700!to $900 monthly and insurance of $250 monthly and takes care of his family and leisure -

If care is not taking that professor may never own his own house in his life time.

Do not forget that the stuff that Nigerian professors get away with in Nigeria like selling their own books and handouts which may not meet curriculum standards of the university or even approved by the NUC (Nigerian University’s Commission).

Also accepting blocking and other perks that are unethical, a US professor can never even think of that in their wildest dreams. Except for tenured professors, most professors in the US can be fired from their jobs instanta if they get poor student reviews at the end of every single semester.

TELL ME - will any of these professors complaining in Nigeria want to subject themselves and their employment sustainability on the reviews of the very students they molest, harass and victimize daily? I doubt!

abeg enough of these whining about what they earn and the dollar equivalent. dollars are earned in America and bills are not payed with Naira in America, it is payed with dollars also and please stop the conversion none sense.

Lastly, salaries are a function of demand and supply- so what value does Nigerian professors add to the educational system in Nigeria in terms of “research and discoveries” to merit the influx of international students rushing to Nigeria to acquire knowledge by paying their school fees in US dollars? so the professors can earn US dollars ?

you can’t cannot reap what you did not sow

Exceptional Nigerian professors who distinguished themselves like Woke Soyinka, the Late Chinua Achebe, Late Chike Obi and countless others in different Nigerian universities travelled overseas as adjunct professors and earned some dollars once in a while but when most of them returned, there was
no much difference in their financial lives because while there in America, they earned dollars and payed bills with dollars- Finito!!!
You indeed made my day with the bolded, the earlier we understand the need to create real value to be financially fulfilled, the better

2 Likes

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by ogajoe(m): 11:58pm On May 19, 2020
4FACEADELEKE:

Bro you see street, if you no support am with extra mile, you go hustle tire you fit no pick shishi.Or you fit pick once in a blue moon. I believe one thing say get wetin to do,handwork, or job, then you use street support am.If street pay e pay,if e no pay the other one go pay.If you use based on grace for street hunger go wash you.If i no use extra mile i no fit ever say i wan go hussle for street again.Na lesson wey I learn.
"Extra mile" indeed, guy call a spade a spade, nothing is free even in Freetown, weda legit or otherwise, one thing is sure; price must be paid, abi u think say d baba wey dey help you do extra mile tins be mumu wey him no do for himself make him blow, anyway sha o, good luck to you and your "extra mile" gengs, wetin me local man no sef grin shocked tongue lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by pompeiimagnus: 12:06am On May 20, 2020
EricBloodAxe:
While the politicians are piling up allowances upon allowances minus their basic salaries and changing cars every 4yrs to the detriment of the nation's economy, they chose to leverage on their unending pillagery by initiating dubious schemes to shortchange hardworking lecturers who toil to impact knowledge everyday under mundane conditions in our decaying institutions.

It's a shame that a man who promised eldorado for legitimate, hardworking Nigerians in 2015 is the same person who is frolicking with dubious, criminally minded politicians to shortchange the masses. If the so called IPPIS cannot be introduced for Nigerian politicians, let ASUU stay away from the univerisities till further notice.

olawalepopoola:

With this peanut, how do you except breakthrough research when most lecturers use their 'gross' income to pay for article publications in gold open access journals.
China made landmarks in researches not because their scientists are only good, but because their government gave priority to research.

In China you are paid RMB100,000 for publishing in a 1 impact factor SCI journal. They have alot of research funding agencies (how many do we have in Nigeria).

I'm not a fan of the present federal government system in Naija, but know that governors, senators, congressmen, etc. in the US also make very high annual salaries and allowances. The difference is that they actually work for the people, unlike our Naija politicians.

As for the lecturers' salaries, the average annual salaries of University professors in the US is also low. However, many of them win research grants, work as consultants, or even run their own startups. It's high time our Naija Professors begin to emulate their counterparts in developed nations.

Why can't a Computer Science Prof in Naija have a research lab for implementing and improving cybersecurity platforms for Nigerian Banks? This alone can bring in at least 2million annually to that department.

What stops an Electrical Engineering Prof from partnering with a state government to develop grid prototypes for solar power generation in that state? Are you saying that a Professor of Mechanical Engineering in Naija cannot win at least 2 million naira in annual research funding from NLNG? We also have Professors of Agriculture whose students buy farm produce and submit as class projects, instead of growing them at the school farm. Whatta bombshell!!!

If we continue to wait for our visionless government for help, our universities will continue to remain advanced senior secondary schools.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Bluntemperor: 7:59am On May 20, 2020
AdaoraJoy:
Honestly, this isn't fair.

The truth is that this Govt is trying to emasculate ASUU to totally submit it's leadership and opposition roles.
In fact if they fail in this attempt,they would likely plant moles to monitor the ASUU prime Lecturers who are fire-brands.
All over the world,Lecturers are agents of Change; to move from London to Lagos University back to Massachusetts in USA is the dynamics system of a growing University.That is why a University is unique and a citadel of knowledge.
Let us appeal to govt that the University is not a place to play bad Politics or Politics at all because it will have a terrible effects in years to come.
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by ogbonti: 2:13pm On May 20, 2020
MoIbrahim:

So because Nigeria is Nigeria, a professor who earns 340k monthly should feel as rewarded and appreciated as a politician who earns 25million monthly? May be na destiny abi? Or na apple and oranges? Siddon there o

since you don’t want to see reasons, and you are hell bent on comparing statistically insignificant occurrences like the earnings of corrupt politicians in Nigeria to Professors in Nigeria, then let me school you a bit. The salary of a US congressman is $174,000 a year basic. Is there any professor in the US that earns that much? I seriously doubt except you are top of the top 5% of Ivy League tenured professors with decades of track records in research and development. So stop the whining my guy, if a professor is tired of earning N340,000 a month inside Nigeria, which I think is decent judging by the Nigerian economic environment, then let such professor resign and go into politics. Ben Ayade was a professor at Delta State University Abraka before he became Cross River State Governor. So because Ayade became Governor, should every professor in Nigeria be made Governors ? nah, life doesn’t work that way.

Lastly if you think wages are unfair- what about players in football clubs in Europe? one team
mate is earning $400,000 a week, another player in same team is earning $60,000 a week and they both play 90 minutes and train equal time at the club facility. probably all the goals scored by the guy making 400k a week must be supplied by the work horse who earns 60k a week. so should the less earner quit ? I LEAVE THAT QUESTION TO EVERYONE READING THIS RESPONSE FROM ME

In conclusion - wages are subject to many factors beyond what the layman can see and understand and if you want to up your value, go improve yourself, search other places and negotiate individually and make it better and don’t generalize.

God bless you, Bye!

2 Likes

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by MoIbrahim: 3:53pm On May 20, 2020
ogbonti:

since you don’t want to see reasons, and you are hell bent on comparing statistically insignificant occurrences like the earnings of corrupt politicians in Nigeria to Professors in Nigeria, then let me school you a bit. The salary of a US congressman is $174,000 a year basic. Is there any professor in the US that earns that much? I seriously doubt except you are top of the top 5% of Ivy League tenured professors with decades of track records in research and development. So stop the whining my guy, if a professor is tired of earning N340,000 a month inside Nigeria, which I think is decent judging by the Nigerian economic environment, then let such professor resign and go into politics. Ben Ayade was a professor at Delta State University Abraka before he became Cross River State Governor. So because Ayade became Governor, should every professor in Nigeria be made Governors ? nah, life doesn’t work that way.

Lastly if you think wages are unfair- what about players in football clubs in Europe? one team
mate is earning $400,000 a week, another player in same team is earning $60,000 a week and they both play 90 minutes and train equal time at the club facility. probably all the goals scored by the guy making 400k a week must be supplied by the work horse who earns 60k a week. so should the less earner quit ? I LEAVE THAT QUESTION TO EVERYONE READING THIS RESPONSE FROM ME

In conclusion - wages are subject to many factors beyond what the layman can see and understand and if you want to up your value, go improve yourself, search other places and negotiate individually and make it better and don’t generalize.

God bless you, Bye!

And to argue that all professors who want more pay should abandon our institutions and join politics, says a lot about your own type of yoot.

Anyway, since you love statistics, from your figures a US congressman earns 174,000 annually, meaning 14,500 per month. An average US professor earns 5,500 per month, i.e. 38% of the earning of a congressman.

A Nigerian professor earns 340k per month i.e less than 1.4% of the earning of a Nigerian legislator.

Since you like statistics, pls use calculation to prove that the difference between 38% and 1.4% is not statistically significant. Oya!

Mr Statistics, we are waiting. Don't dodge o. Don't deviate. Don't run away.

1 Like

Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by Xuxu208: 7:25am On May 21, 2020
proffemi:

Those do-nothing professors you mention are not the cause. They are the CONSEQUENCE of FG not properly funding public tertiary education. Can you imagine a typical best-in-class graduate taking up a lecturing job to collect the peanuts on Page 1? Oho? When most don't, the positions are taken by increasingly lower quality scholars, leading to the problems you pointed out.

Many of you commenting on this topic do not understand the heinous class warfare that the FG's actions will unleash. Nor do you understand the level of personal sacrifice required for someone worth his salt to stay in the Nigerian university system.

You must be joking, it's the same redundant, geriatric, non-productive, so-called academics that are still in these universities....I looked up some departments at my Alma Mater and was shocked to see all these middle-aged men and women still there over twenty years later! The only time ASUU strikes is over issues of their remuneration, I don't recall them ever striking about the deplorable conditions of our universities with regards to terrible student housing, classrooms, ancient library book and lab materials and machines, research facilities, etc. Most of them are clearly in it for the money. The part that is even more baffling to me in these public universities is that, despite the huge fees that students now pay, nothing has changed and in fact, in some universities, things are actually getting worse! So, where does all the fees students pay as tuition go to? Lastly, I know from being related to a former dean at a public university in Lagos that there is a LOT of corruption going on there, whereby top-level academics put people on their payroll without these people actually even working there. Some even have 11 secretaries. ASUU and Nigerian academics in general are the most detestable and contemptible sector of the Nigerian society, all their education and exposure has done absolutely nothing to improve their outlook and behavior. The actions of most of them are no better than that of someone that has never seen the four walls of a classroom and is in fact sometimes way worse. One wonders if there is any hope for the country when the most educated amongst us have nothing show for all their eduation and exposure. Why then should one expect any better from our politicians, the vast majority of whom have far less educational attainment than our so-called academics?
Re: The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) by proffemi: 7:39am On May 21, 2020
Xuxu208:

You must be joking, it's the same redundant, geriatric, non-productive, so-called academics that are still in these universities....I looked up some departments at my Alma Mater and was shocked to see all these middle-aged men and women still there over twenty years later! The only time ASUU strikes is over issues of their remuneration, I don't recall them ever striking about the deplorable conditions of our universities with regards to terrible student housing, classrooms, ancient library book and lab materials and machines, research facilities, etc. Most of them are clearly in it for the money. The part that is even more baffling to me in these public universities is that, despite the huge fees that students now pay, nothing has changed and in fact, in some universities, things are actually getting worse! So, where does all the fees students pay as tuition go to? Lastly, I know from being related to a former dean at a public university in Lagos that there is a LOT of corruption going on there, whereby top-level academics put people on their payroll without these people actually even working there. Some even have 11 secretaries. ASUU and Nigerian academics in general are the most detestable and contemptible sector of the Nigerian society, all their education and exposure has done absolutely nothing to improve their outlook and behavior. The actions of most of them are no better than that of someone that has never seen the four walls of a classroom and is in fact sometimes way worse. One wonders if there is any hope for the country when the most educated amongst us have nothing show for all their eduation and exposure. Why then should one expect any better from our politicians, the vast majority of whom have far less educational attainment than our so-called academics?

I must be joking? ASUU only goes on strike for remuneration?

No, I'm not, and no, they do not.

I have just one word for you: TETFUND.

It is one of the most innovative funding strategies for tertiary education anywhere in the world. FYI: It is the result of a bitter ASUU strike, is 100% ASUU's brainchild, and the ONLY reason public tertiary education has not totally collapsed. Peep like you like wailing about imperfections in the system when it is government's irresponsibility that caused those imperfections. The "little" the universities have, for which you are complaining so bitterly, is only due to ASUU's struggles. Please be informed.

I've never said ASUU are saints, and on this very site, I have stated my occasional disagreement with the union. But anyone who tries to paint the union as the main problem with tertiary education in Nigeria has to be ret^rded.

I don't recall them ever striking about the deplorable conditions of our universities with regards to terrible student housing, classrooms, ancient library book and lab materials and machines, research facilities, etc.

Look at the rubbish this one is typing. The ignoramuses are the ones who love to pontificate.
Bros, ASUU's strike actions have always been geared towards securing at least 10 to 100 times more for things things you listed than for their remuneration.
Get informed so you can make sensible points please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Cucumber Stuck on A UNN Female Student's Private Part During Masturbation / Which University Has The Highest Rate Of Cultism In Nigeria? / Covenant University Sex Scandal: Photos, Audio Of Adooh Emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.