Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? (16262 Views)

IPOB To Kumuyi: Don't Hold Crusade In Aba, South-East, Pray In Your Lagos Church / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Myer(m): 12:00pm On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:

Speaking in tongues has helped my spiritual growth. It has prevented me from dangers. Cause once am busy I start speak in tongues without control it means danger is learn so I excuse myself to pray in tongues extensively. Its a wonderful gift. Praying in tongues is like praying the mind of God in a situation, so concerning the interpretation if you pray to God to give you the interpretation he'll gibe it to you. Speaking is tongues is vital for Spiritual growth. So speak while some can interpret but if you pray to God he can't give you the ability to speak and interpret. For example I see visions, dreams, and am also an Envagelist. I hope you understand.

So you can't interprete what you speak. That's what I wanted to know.

How come there's abundance of tongues yet no interpretation?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Originalsly: 12:08pm On May 25, 2020
Evercurious:

I dont know the tongues you are speaking.. Mine edifies me. and others since I have got the gift of interpretation of tongues.. But most expedient to it all ,IT EDIFIES ME

1Corinthians 14:27 -28..... why do you keep dodging this text?... and continue to contradict it? If you speak in tongues to edify yourself shouldn't you be doing so in privacy? If you have the spirit of interpretation.... have you been interpreting what people have been saying in the church? .... what two or the most three people get up to speak in tongues ? You can pretend to not read this and dodge responding..... to edify us all.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 12:09pm On May 25, 2020
Myer:

So you can't interprete what you speak. That's what I wanted to know.

How come there's abundance of tongues yet no interpretation?

You don't have to interpret what you speak. You're praying directly to God through the help of the holy Ghost. Tongues consist of different language e.g Russian, Arabic. I speak in tongues in Arabic. There was a day I spoke in tongues and a Muslim said I was speaking in Arabic. I asked him for the meaning and he didn't tell me. He said he taught I was a muslim
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Myer(m): 12:13pm On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:

You don't have to interpret what you speak. You're praying directly to God through the help of the holy Ghost. Tongues consist of different language e.g Russian, Arabic. I speak in tongues in Arabic. There was a day I spoke in tongues and a Muslim said I was speaking in Arabic. I asked him for the meaning and he didn't tell me. He said he taught I was a muslim

Telling you that you're speaking Arabic was actually a mockery. Are you not a Nigerian? Don't you know that's how we mock those who speak gibberish.

Anyway, since you can't interpret then it's pointless dragging this discussion.

The bible teaches that tongues should be interpreted which is the only way it can edify the church.

It's interesting you all only speak in tongues for personal edification.

If you ever receive the gift of interpretation of tongues, do let us know.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 2:14pm On May 25, 2020
Originalsly:

1Corinthians 14:27 -28..... why do you keep dodging this text?... and continue to contradict it? If you speak in tongues to edify yourself shouldn't you be doing so in privacy? If you have the spirit of interpretation.... have you been interpreting what people have been saying in the church? .... what two or the most three people get up to speak in tongues ? You can pretend to not read this and dodge responding..... to edify us all.

Remain in your realm..
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On May 25, 2020
gracechellar:

The Holy spirit came after He ascended. He couldnt have spoken in tongues
Jesus already had the Holy Spirit inside of Him, at least from the point of His Baptism, long before His death.
gracechellar:

I once spoke like you.. May the Holy Spirit gove you understanding.
I suggest to get back to speaking like this again because Jesus requires you be OPEN-MINDED in your thinking if you want to make Heaven(become like a child again) so we are not decieved by the wolves out there who peddle their lies boldly, not in the name of Satan, but yes, in the name of Jesus. grin grin
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:
Why not ask God Himself to tell you what language(s) He has giffted you with?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 3:38pm On May 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Why not ask God Himself to tell you what language(s) He has giffted you with?

It is well
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:
It is well
It is not well at all!
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 3:44pm On May 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:
It is not well at all!

Are you an atheist
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:
Are you an atheist
Unfortunately, I am not an athiest.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 4:05pm On May 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Unfortunately, I am not an athiest.

Are you a Christian and which church do you worship
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by gracechellar(f): 6:49pm On May 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Jesus already had the Holy Spirit inside of Him, at least from the point of His Baptism, long before His death.
I suggest to get back to speaking like this again because Jesus requires you be OPEN-MINDED in your thinking if you want to make Heaven(become like a child again) so we are not decieved by the wolves out there who peddle their lies boldly, not in the name of Satan, but yes, in the name of Jesus. grin grin
I have nothing else to say to you
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by EvangelistChuks(m): 8:26pm On May 25, 2020
Kobojunkie:
The Spirit of the Living God Himself does the groaning.
Nothing about this is foreign to me.
huh? Focus on what I posted abeg, stop bobbing and weaving as if by doing so, your point is made magically for you, assuming you even have one to make.
Holy Spirit groans,hmmmm.Get born again first.I pray the Lord will make His ways known to you cos by that you argue no more.Why, you can talk about what you don't have experience about. Assuming you are saved,are you baptised in the spirit or is that obsolete.Once again I pray that the Lord will encounter you.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On May 26, 2020
EvangelistChuks:
Holy Spirit groans,hmmmm.Get born again first.I pray the Lord will make His ways known to you cos by that you argue no more.Why, you can talk about what you don't have experience about. Assuming you are saved,are you baptised in the spirit or is that obsolete.Once again I pray that the Lord will encounter you.
Having no control over the groaning, it is safe to agree with Paul that the Spirit of God is indeed the one who does the groaning.

Does telling me to get born again first, remove from the fact that you have no response to the issue at hand? I think you should reserve your prayers for your own self cause I am afraid you need them more than I do.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 8:50pm On May 26, 2020
kress2m1:
We speak in tongues when it suits us, because we are lazy, can't muster the focus to pray in a language known to us, so we take the easy way out and chant nonsense, like the idolaters do.

Since I came to my senses, when people are praying, I always tell them beforehand that if you speak in your so-called tongues, I will simply step outside and let you finish your chants. I will not say amen to it at all. Amen is a signature that I agree with what you are saying, that I'm signing the prayer contract with you.

When, during calmer seasons, I always ask them this question. Suppose we were given $1 Million dollars to share, and I bring a contract to you detailing the share, but it's written in the Chinese language, which I know you can't read or write in, and I ask you to trust me and sign it, will you sign it? The answer has always been No.

If you can't trust me, whom you know, with a contract written in a known language, even though you can't speak it or write in it, why should I trust the gibberish you are spouting, which none of us can interpret, understand or even write down?

Examples of when GOD spoke to individuals directly, and their responses:

1. Samuel - LORD, speak, for your servant hears you. Samuel, then a young boy, heard GOD speak to him clearly, that he initially thought it was Eli calling him.
2. Abraham - He conversed with GOD for a while and even bargained with HIM to save the people of Sodom and Gomorrah.
3. Saul - When GOD spoke to him from heaven, it's attested that the people with Saul, heard a voice, but saw no one, hence their terror. Or does GOD now speak with unbelievers in shakalamaboshegelashobababomagologoraka? That may even have terrified them the more... Acts 26:14 even goes as far as to state that the Voice spoke to them in the Hebrew/Aramaic language!
4. GOD spoke with Elijah
5. When Jesus was transfigured on the mount, the disciples with Him, clearly heard Him discussing with Moses and Elijah, 2 beings we know to be in Heaven, in a language they knew. No spiritual nonsensical language was reported at this event.
6. Finally, when the disciples asked Jesus, teach us how to pray, for goodness sake, what did He tell them? We now have what is called The Lord's prayer.

Why then, despite all these antecedents, would our loving Father in Heaven, send us a language that is terrifying to the ears, sounds like an asylum under riot and makes unbelievers to make jest of HIS word. Is this the comfort that the Holy Spirit brings?

I've said my own. Some will still call me demon possessed or some such nonsense. Let's see whose chosen form of prayer language closely resembles that of demons...

God have mercy
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 8:51pm On May 26, 2020
Kizzygentle:
Speaking in tongue is a scam. Jesus Christ never spoke in tongue to proof anything. You are only decieving yourselves acting like your speaking in tongues. Most pastors mix different languages in one sentence and claim speaking in tongues. A girl invited me to Christ embassy one day when I was in school and when I went there I was shocked at what I saw. The pastor said if u want to speak in tongues come out and he will pray for them. See d way gullible people came out and after d pastor with fried hair like oyakhilome prayed for them they were all forming speaking in tongues. I wept that day. I was hearing calabar language mixed with hausa in one sentence.

My advice is whatever is ur problem or whatever u need and u need Gods intervention, u don't need to speak in tongues. Be sincere with ur request and have a clean heart and ask God. God will grant ur request so easily.

Happy Sunday and God bless us all.

God have mercy
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 8:54pm On May 26, 2020
Generalgurus:

Speaking what you don't know to God is very bad.. You don't even know if you are talking to God or Devil in the name of prayer, mind what you speak...
I was taught that its only the Holy Spirit that can help someone to speak in tongue, just like it happened to the Apostles..

Don't learn what you don't know!

Sorry Sir you are so wrong. You don't LEARN how to speak in tongues.. It isn't LEARNT...
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 8:55pm On May 26, 2020
Deicide:
I don't know where Christians learn that bad habits from, it's common among most of them, speaking gibberish with pride.

HABIT? lolzzz
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 8:56pm On May 26, 2020
Risingsunn:
you have said it all. God bless you.

So sorry. God CAN'T bless him/her for that. Okay?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by EvangelistChuks(m): 9:17pm On May 26, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Having no control over the groaning, it is safe to agree with Paul that the Spirit of God is indeed the one who does the groaning.

Does telling me to get born again first, remove from the fact that you have no response to the issue at hand? I think you should reserve your prayers for your own self cause I am afraid you need them more than I do.
1corinth.14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
4 -He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.15- What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On May 26, 2020
EvangelistChuks:
1corinth.14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
4 -He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.15- What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
Groaning is not a part of any tongue(language), let alone an unknown one. Groans sound the same no matter what language(s) you speak
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Risingsunn: 8:10am On May 27, 2020
Evercurious:

So sorry. God CAN'T bless him/her for that. Okay?
are you God or his assistant?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Risingsunn: 8:11am On May 27, 2020
What did Paul say about speaking in tongues
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On May 27, 2020
Emax911:
yes, they spoke in tongues they knew and people still called them drunkards, those were tongues they knew but if u read your Bible very well...u will know that it was an assumption the people because if it was another language, y wasn't it interpreted... please read ur Bible again

"Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, `Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians-we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.' And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, `What does this mean?' But others mocking said, `They are filled with new wine' " (vv. 5-13).

they spoke languages and yet people d not understand... what a language
I think you missed the message.

Acts 2 vs 2-13
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.
2. Suddenly a noise came from heaven. It sounded like a strong wind blowing. This noise filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3. They saw something that looked like flames of fire. The flames were separated and stood over each person there.
4. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak different languages. The Holy Spirit was giving them the power to do this.

5. There were some godly Jews in Jerusalem at this time. They were from every country in the world.
6. A large crowd came together because they heard the noise. They were surprised because, as the apostles were speaking, everyone heard in their own language.

7. They were all amazed at this. They did not understand how the apostles could do this. They said, “Look! These men we hear speaking are all from Galilee.[a]
8. But we hear them in our own languages. How is this possible? We are from all these different places:
9. Parthia, Media, Elam, Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia,
10. Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the areas of Libya near the city of Cyrene, Rome,
11. Crete, and Arabia. Some of us were born Jews, and others have changed their religion to worship God like Jews. We are from these different countries, but we can hear these men in our own languages! We can all understand the great things they are saying about God.”

12. The people were all amazed and confused. They asked each other, “What is happening?”
13. But others were laughing at the apostles, saying they were drunk from too much wine.
The last verse is the clue you need, suggesting there were others who didn't understand any of the languages that were being spoken. To those the apostles appeared as drunks.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Dammtn: 4:39pm On Jun 06, 2020
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 2:25pm On Jun 15, 2020
undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Jun 16, 2020
Risingsunn:
What did Paul say about speaking in tongues
Paul gave us, in his letters, his experience. Shouldn't we simply use his words to verify what we experience, rather than running off to consult paul as if he is some god we obey?

When do we begin consulting the word of God, Jesus Christ (no, not your bible) for answers in all things?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by dayleke: 9:46pm On Jul 03, 2020
uruu:
i spoke in tongues last week for like 30minutes for the first time in a church meeting, how can i speak in tongues again.

Biko...
You fine o...
cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

To Be Born-again: 6 Practical Signs Of Repentance / Why Was Mary Chosen To Birth Jesus Christ? / Six Reasons You Should Accept Jesus As Lord And Saviour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.